converted into corn-fields. Seges eji ubi Troja fuit.
VETERINARY COLLEGE, an excellent inlHtution,
eftablifhed in 1791, under the aufpices of perfons of the
fii ft rank and fortune, at Camden Town, in the pai ifh of
Panrras. The defign is principally to promote a reforma-
tion in that particular branch of veterinary f< ience, called
Farriery; and to refcue the management and cuie of dif-
orders incident to horfes, and frequently the lives of thofe
truly valuable animals, from the hands of the unlkiiful and.
13 b 2 illiterate.
A plate of collared beef
A cruet of oil
A flic? >f bread
A p.it of l.utter
A dice of chccfe
A rait "
A cuftarrl '
A Shrcwfb'jry cake
A plate of anchovies
A |)1:.tc of olives -
A jelly _
u P M
illiterate. It is calculated alfo to render that n refpe<5lablr
profeffion, which had hitherto been confidered as beneath
the ftudy and attention of men of liberal education.
The Duke of Northumberland was the firft Prefident of
the College. There are 1 1 Vice-Prefidents, 24 Directors,
a Treafurer, Profeflbr, Secretary, and Collector. The Pre-
fident, Vice-Prefidents, and ten of the Directors, the Trea-
furer, and Collector, are chofen annually, by ballot. The
entire management of the College is in the Council, which,
confifts of the Prefident, Vice-Prefidents, and Directors;
fubjeft to the control of lour quarterly general meetings of
the fubfcribers. A houfe in the road to Highgate ferves,
at prefent, for a temporary college. The new building is
to extend in front 270 feet, and to confift of a houfe for the
ProfefTor and Secretary, apartments for the Pupils, .com-
mittee rooms, Sfc. In the plan, Jikewife, is included a
theatre, a mufeum, a laboratory, a room for pharmacy, an
operating room, a forge, commodious ftabling for 500
horfes, a fpacious riding-houfe, a botanical garden, &c.
The <kpth of the building is to be 650 feet. The whole is
dciigned by Mr. James Burton, Architect, of New Bridge
Street. A fchoo! for the inftruftion of Pupils in the Ve-
lerinary Science is to be under the direction of the Profef-
for ; and difeafed horfes of any defcription, are to be ad-
mitted, upon certain terms, into the infirmary. A volume
of the tranfactions of the fociety is to be publifhed annu-
ally, and prefented to each fubfct iber gratis. Two guineas
is a qualification for an annual member, and a fublcription
of 20 guineas conftitutes a perpetual member. The theatre
and ftabling are already creeled ; and fuch is thought to be
the importance of this inftitution, that the afiiftance of Par-
liament has been applied for and obtained.
UNDERCOMtfE, near Dorney, on the left of the road
to Maidenhead, the pleafant feat of Thomas Eyre, ETq.
now the refidence of Sir William Young. Adjoining ta
it, is the ancient abbey of Burnham.
UPMINSTER, a village in Effex, 15 miles from Lon-
don r in the road to Tilbury Fort, called Upmintter, front
its lofty fituation. Dr. Derham, author of two excellent
works,' Aftro-Theology, and Phyfico-Theology, was Rec-
from 1689 to 1735. In this parifh is afpring,.
XV A L
which he mentions in the latter work, as a proof that
fprings have their origin from the fea, and not from rains
and vapours. This fpring, in the greateft droughts, was
little, if at all diminifhed, after an obfervation of abpve
twenty years, although the ponds all over the country, and
an adjoining brook, had been dry for many months.
Upminfter Hall, the ancient feat of Mr. Branfill, was
granted by King Harold to the Abbey of Waltham Holy
Crofs, and was the hunting-feat of the Abbots. The houfe
is fuppofed to have been erected in the reign of Henry VI,
and to be the fame houfe that was inhabited by fome of the
Abbots. The fituation is beautiful, the grounds being well
wooded, and falling in a fine flope from the houfe, the back
front of which commands a delightful view of Laindon
Hills, and of the high hills of Kent. Here Mr. Efdaile
has a beautiful feat, called Gaines.
UXBRIDGE, a market-town in Middlefex, 15 miles
from London, in the road to Oxford. Though it is inde-
pendent, and governed by two bailiffs, &c it is only a
hamlet to Great Hillingdon. The river Coin runs through
it in two ftreams ; and, over the main ftream, is a ftone
bridge. The chapel was built in the reign of Henry VI.
This town is diftinguifhed by the whitenefs of the bread.
A treaty was carried on here between Charles I and the
Parliament, in 1644. The houfe in which the plenipoten-
tiaries met is ftill called " The Treaty Houfe," and is fitu-
ated at the lower end of the town, on the left hand. Hav-
ing been lately purclnfed by Mr. William Anthony, it is
fhortly to be pulled pulled down, and the extenfive gardens
are to be converted into a timber and coal wharf. The
Grand Junction Canal is completed from Brentford to this
town, and will be extended to Braunfton, near Daventry.
Near Uxbridge are the remains of aii ancient camp.
WALHAM GREEN, a village of Middlefex, in the
parifh of Fulham. Here is a curious garden,
planted fi nee the year 17^6, by its prefcnt potfeflbr Johu
Ord, Efq. "Within that (hort fpace, it has produced trees,
which are now the fintft of their refpeftive kinds in the
B b 3 kingdom ;
282 W A I,
kingdom; particularly, the Sophora Japomca, planted in
1756, now eight feet in girth, and 40 high; a ftandard
Gitip}o-trtf t planted in 1767, two feet three inches in girth;
and an Illinois walnut, fown in 1760, two feet two inches
in girth. Among other trees alfo, remarkable for their
growth, though not the largeft of their kind, are a black
walnut- tree, fo\vn in 1757, about 40 feet high, and five feet
four inches in girth; a cedar of Libanus, planted in 1756,
eight feet eight inches in girth ; a willow-leaved oak, fown
in 1757, four feet in girth; the Rbus F'ernix^ or varnifll
fumach, four feet in girth ; and a ftone pine, of very fingu-
lar growth. The girth of this laft, at one foot from the
f round, is fix feet four inches: at that height, it immediately
egins to branch out, and fpreads at kaft 21 feet on each
fide, forming a large bufh, of about 14 yards in diameter.
WALLINGTON, a hamlet to Becldington, in Surry;
fituate on the banks of the Wandle. It is more populous
than the village to which it is a hamlet. Here is a confi-
dersble calico-printing manufactory. In a field, near the
road, is an ancient chapel, built of flint and ftone, now
ufed as a cart-houfe and ftable. Its origin cannot be traced.
The prefent proprietor would have pulled it down, but was
o^pofed in his intention by thepariuSioners.
WALTHAM ABBEY, or WALTHAM HOLY
CROSS, a market-town, in Eflex, i z\ miles from London-,
fcad its fecond appellation from a holy crofs, faid to have
been miraculoufly conveyed here: its firft name it received
from a magnificent abbey founded here, in honour of this
crofs, by King Ha'rold. This abbey was fo much diftin-
guiflied by a feriesof r9yal and noble benefactors, that it was
one of the moft opulent in the kingdom. Henry III, to
avoid the expences of a court, ufed frequently to refide in
it; in consideration of which he granted to the town of
"Waltham a market and fair. The prefent proprietor is
Sii* William Wake, Bart, who had, on the fite of it, a
modern-built feat, called The Abbey Houfe." This he
fold to James Barwick, Efq. who pulled it down, in 1770,
and has let the fite, and the grounds belonging to it, to a
The tower of the church was erefted in the time of
Queen Mary ; but the infide ef the church is a beautiful
WALTHAM CROSS. 283
fpppimen of the Saxon architecture. This, however, is
only the nave of the original church ; the crofs aides hav-
ing extended beyond what is now the chancel ; and the
old tower, which fell down after the Diflblution, rofe, in
courfe, as the centre of a crofs. A few beautiful fragments
of the abbey ftill remain, in a ftyle of architecture much
later than that of the church; particularly, a Gothic arch,
which formed the entrance, and terminated a noble vifta
of tall trees which no longer exift; and, adjoining to this
gateway, is ftill ftanding the porter's lodge. Within the
precinct of the abbey is alfo a celebrated tulip tree, faid to
be one of the largeft in England.
King Harold, and his two brothers, after the battle of
Haftin^, in which they were (lain, were interred at the
eaft end of the ancient church, at the diftance of 40 yards
from the extent of the prefent ftructure. A plain ftone
is frud to have been laid over him, with this expreffive epi-
taph, " Harold Infelix;" and a ftone coffin, laid to have
been his, was difcovered, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth,
by the gardener of Sir Edward Denny : the bones, upon
the touch, mouldered into duft. About three years ago r
another coffin was found, nearly on the fame fpot, which
contained an entire fkeleton inclofed in lead. If this -were
not the fkeleton of one of Harold's brothers, it is in vain to
form any other conjecture.
At Waltham Abbey, are fome powder-mills, in tl>e hands
of Government ; fome manufactories for printed linens, and
fome newly-erected buildings for the manufacture of pins.
The river Lea here forms feveral Wands.
WALTHAM CROSS, or WEST WALTHAM, a
village in Herts, on the weft fide of the river. Lea, is fitw-
ated on fhe road to Ware, nj miles from London. It
takes its firft appellation from the crofs erected here by Ed-
ward I, in honour of his Queen Eleanor. It was a noble
flructure, and round it were feveral effigies, with the arms
of England, Caftile, Leon, Poitou, &c. which are now
greatly defaced. It is fituated near the entrance into the
parifli of Cheftnmt. In 179$, preparations were made for
taking down this crofs, in order to remove it into the
grounds of Sir William George Prefcott, Bart. Lord of the
Manor, foj^its better prefei vation ; but, after removing the
upper tier of ftone, finding it too hazardous an undertaking:,
on account of the decayed ftate of the ornamental parts, the
fcaffold was removed ; aiuf proper meafures were taken to
repair this ancient memorial of conjugal afFcclion.
WALTHAMSTOW, a village in Eflex, five miles from
London, on the road from Lea Bridge to Epping, has many
hand Tome houfes; particularly, Higham Hall, late the pro-
perty of Governor Hornby, fituate on the lide of the road,
in a line between the houfes of Mr. Goddard and Mr.
Moxon at Woodford. It has been lately fold to Mr. Har-
man. Near Marfh Street, is the ancient feat of the late
Thomas Gi\ * enor, Efq ; and here are the feat and plea-
fure-grounds of Sir Charles Pole, Bart.
WALTON, a village in Surry, on the Thames, between
Weybridge and Moulley. Here are the remains of an an-
cient camp, fuppofed to have been Roman; and from this
village runs a rampart of earth, with a trench, as far as St.
George's Hill, in the fame parifli. A curious bridge over
the Thames, erected, in 1750, by Mr. Decker, has fince
been taken down, and a new one creeled in its ftead. In
this parifh is Apps Court, the feat of Jeremiah Hodges,
Efq ; Afhley Park, the feat of Sir Henry Fletcher, Bart.
Paine's Hill, the feat of the late Mr. Hopkins; Burvvood,
the feat of Mrs. Currie; Eurwood Hill, the refidence of
Mr. Tynte; Burwood Park, the feat of Sir Jphn Fre-
derick, Bart, and the manfion of the Earl of Tankerville.
'See Oatlands and Paine's Hill.
WALWORTH, a village in the parifli of Xewrngton
Butts, in Surry. It was probably the birthplace of the ce-
lebrated Sir William Walworth, the ftory of whofe exploit
in Smithfield, in killing the rebel Wat Tyler, ishandfomely
painted on the fign of one of the public-houfes here.
WANDLE, or VANDAL, a river, which rifes near
Carfhalton in Surry, and paffing by Croydon and Merton,
falls into the Thames at Wandfworth. It is a fine trout
ftream ; but more celebrated for the confequence which
Pope has given it in his " Windibr Foreft :"
" The blue tranfparent Vandalis appears.'
WANDSWORTH, a village in Surry, five miles from
London, fituate in the road to Kingfton, near the conflu-
ence of the Wandle with the Thames, and between two
hills called Eaft Hill and Weft Hill. Al the clofe of the
laft century many French refugees fettled here, and efta-
blifhed a French church, which is now tifed as a meeting
by the methodifts. The art of dying cloth has been prac-
tifed at this place, for more than a century, and there are
two dyers here, Mr. Barchard and Mr. Williamfon ; the
former a frarlet dyer. There are likewife feveral confider-
nb!e manufactories here : namely, one for bolting cloth ;
Mr. Henchell's iron-mills; the calico printing manufacto-
ries of Mr. Gardiner and of MefTrs. Lawrence and Harris ;
Mr. Rigby's manufactory for printing kerfeymeres; Mr.
Dibble's for whitening and preffing fluffs ; Mr. Were's
linfeed oil and white lead mills; Mr. Shepley's oil mills ;
Meflrs. Gattey's vinegar works; and the diftilleries of
Meflrs. Bufli and Co.
The tower of the church is ancient ; but the church itfelf
is a modern edifice. Belide the fmall cemetery contiguous
to this, there is a more fpacious one on Eaft Hill.
On Eaft Hill, on the right, are the houfes of Thomas
Tatlock, and Richard Bufli, Efquires. Farther on, to the
left, fronted by fine tall elms, is the manfion, formerly
of the family of Porter, and afterward the refidence of the
Hon. Edward Digby, whofe fons, Henry, now Earl of
Digby, and Admiral Robert Digby, were born here. It is
now in the po/Teffion of Sir James Sanderfon, Bart. Next
is the handiome houfe of Mr. Barchard ; and oppofite this
the elegant villa of John Webfter, Efq. All thefe houfes
have a delightful view of the Thames, between the bridges
of Putney and Batterfea. The two churches of Fulham
and Putney to the left, embofomed, as it were, in woods,
form, with the bridge, a picturcfq::? apprarance ; and the
profpeet is greatly improved by a view of Harrow -on -the-
Hill in %he front, and of Hampftead and Highgate to the
On Weft Hill, to the left, is Down Lodge, the excellent
new houfe of Henry Gardiner, Efq. To the right, is Weft
Hill Houfe, the refidence of Henry Goodwin, Efq. Farther
on, is the 'capital manfion, erected by John Anthony
Rucker, Efq. whofe pleafure- grounds are contiguous to
Lord Spencer's Park at Wimbledon, and feem to be part
of it, and whofe fine foliation commands a view of the
Thames toward London, as well as of the delightful coun-
try toward Merton, Tooting, Dulwich, Sydenham, and
Shooter's Hill. A little farther, to the right, facing Putney
Heath, is the villa of Philip De Vifine, Efq. In Love
Lane, near the gate leading to Putney, is the houfe late of
John 'Wili-not, Efq. now in the occupation of Frederick
In Wandfworth, is a Quaker's meeting-honk, and two
fchools for children of that perfuafion ; at one of which,
that excellent citizen, fenator, and magiftrate, Sir John
Barnard, received his.education.
In Garret Lane, between this village and Tooting, was
formerly a mock election, after every general eleclion, of a
Mayor of Garret, to which Mr. Foote's dramatic piece of
that name gave no fmall celebrity.
WANSTED, a village, fix miles from London, on the
fkirts of Epping Forcft, is adorned with feveral villas ;
among which, that of George Bowles, Efq. is diftinguiflied
for extenfive pleafure-grounds. But thefe are all eclipfed
by the magnificence of Wanfted Houfe.
The church a new and beautiful ftruhire, was finifhed
in 1790. Simplicity and neatnefs were aimed at in this
Ifura! temple, by the architect Mr. Thomas Hardwick. The
porcico is of the Doric order, and the cupola fupported by
eight Ionic columns. The whole of the external part is
faced with Portland ftone. The internal order is Corin-
thian. The pavement of the church, remarkable for its
beauty and neatnefs, was brought from Painfwick : that of
the chancel is of the fame kind of ftone, intermixed with
black marble dots. The window of the chancel is of
ftained glafs ; the fubjcS, Our Saviour bearing the Crois r
this, and the circular window, at the enft end of each gal-
lery (which are <i!lo of ftained glafs) were executed by Mr.
Eginton of Birmingham. In the chancel is a monument
of white marble (removed from the old church) to the me-
mory of Sir Jofiah Child. The fite of the church was
fiven to the parifli, by Sir J. T. Long, out of his own
ark, that the remains of the perfons interred in the old
churcji and churchyard might not be diiturbed, and that
WANSTED HOUSE. 287
divine fervice might continue, without interruption, while
the new ftructure was erecting.
WANSTED HOUSE, the magnificent feat and exten-
five park and gardens of v the late Sir James Tylney Long,
Baronet. The ancient manor was granted, by Edward VI,
to Robert Lord Rich. He fold it to the Earl of Leicefter,
who, in 1578, entertained Queen Elizabeth here. Revert-
ing to the Crown, King James gave it to Sir Henry Mid-
may, who having been one of the Judges of Charies I, it
was forfeited. Charles II gave it to the Duke of York, who
fold it to Sir Robert Brooks: Of the reprefentatives of this
gentleman it was purchafed by Sir Jofiah Child, Bart,
grandfather to the late Earl Tylney, from whom it de-
fcended to his nephew, the late proprietor, whofe fon is a
Sir Jofiah Child planted a great number of trees in ave-
nues leading to the fire of the old manfion. His fon laid out
fome extenlive grounds in gardens ; and, after thefe were
finifhed, he employed the celebrated Colin Campbell, to
build the prefent ftructure, which is cafed with Portland
ftone, and is upward of 260 feet in length, and 70 in depth.
It is one of the nobleft houfes in Europe ; and its grand
front is thought to be as fine a piece of architecture as any
that may be feen in Italy. It confifts of two ftories, the
bafement and the ftate ftory, and is adorned by a noble
portico of fix Corinthian columns. In the tympanum of
this portico (which we afrend by a double flight of fteps)
are the family arms ; and, over the door which leads into
the Great Hall, is a medallion of the architect.
The Great Half is 53 feet by 45. On the ceiling are
Morning, Noon, Evening, and Night, by Kent. The
pictures are. Mr. Kent, the Painter ; and three by Cafaii,
the fubjects Coriolanus, Porfenna, and Pompey taking
leave of his Family. In this hall, are antique ftatues of
Agrippina and Domitian ; four ftatues of Poetry, Painf-
ing, IVIufic, and Architecture : and four vafes. We theft
A Dining Room, 27 feet fquare ; the pictures, St. Francis ;
a Madonna ; a Ruin ; and fix Family Portraits.
A Drawing Room, 27 feet fquare; the pictures, a Magda-
len j Herodias : and a Madonna.
288 WANSTED HOUSE.*
A Bed Chamber, 24 feet by 20 : it has five Views, and a
beautiful cheft inlaid with mother of pearl.
In a L ; gbt Clojlt adjoining are three Madonnas; and in
another light clofet, two pictures.
Thefe rooms form the front line to the left of the Hall ;
returning to which we enter the fuite of apartments to the
A Dining Room, 25 feet fquare. On the ceiling are paint-
ed the Seafons; and the pictures are, Lord Chief Juftice
Glyn and his Family, Lely ; a Holy Family ; three Land-
fcaprs ; and two Ruins.
A Drawing Ream, 30 feet by 25 ; the ceiling painted with
the ftory of Jupiter and Semele : the pictures, three flower-
pieces, by Baptift. The chimneypiece is elegant : an ea^le
taking up a fnake, in white marble, is Jet into the centre of
it : this is the family creft.
A Bed Chamber, 25 feet by 22 : the pictures, Apollo and
Narciffus; Satyrs; Cupids; a Madonna; and St. John and
the Infant Jefus.
The Ball Rcom, 7$ feet by 27, extends the whole depth of
the houfe: it is fplendidly fitted up with gilt ornaments of
all kinds, in the taftc of that period. It is hung with tape-
dry, in two compartments; the fubjefts, Telemachus and
Calypfo, and one of the Battles of Alexander. Over the
chimney, is Portia, by Scalken. From thj room we en-
ter the fuite of apartments in the bark front. Firft,
A Bed Chamber, 27 feet by 22: the pictures, Venus
fleeping ; Adonis fleeping ; Venus and Pyfche ; and Di-
ana ami Endymion.
A DreJJing Room, 27 feet by 25 : it has four Landfcapes.
Ami- Chamber, 40 feet by 27 : it has feven pictures of
Ruins, and is ornamented with a curious cabinet, a chim-
BC} piece of white marble, and marble tables.
A Saloon. 30 feet fquare : over the white marble chim-
neypiece, is a picture of Pandora, by Nollikens, father of
the prefent fculptor of that name : and this room is Adorned
with three ftatues ; namely, Apollo, antique ; Flora, Wil-
ton ; and Bacchus, Ditto.
A Dining Room, 40 feet by 27 : the pictures, Alexander
directing Apeiks to paint Csunpafpe, CafaJi ; the Conti-
WANSTED HOUSE. 289
nence of Scipio, Cafali ; Sophonifba taking Poifon, Ditto ;
two Landfcapes ; and three Ruins.
A Drawing Room, 27 feet fquare : it is adorned with the
picture of Angelica and Medora, by Cafali.
A Bed Chamber, 27 feet by 21 : it is hung with rich
figured velvet : the bed the fame, and lined with a white
Indian fatin, trailed with coloured flowers and Chinefe
figures. In this room is a picture of Ruins.
A DreJJing Room, 26 feet by 18 ; it has a picture by
Under the Great Hall is a noble arcade, from which we
enter a common Dining Parlour, 40 feet by 35, and hence
into a Breakfaft Room, 32 feet by 25, ornamented with
prints by the moft eminent mafters, parted on a ftraw-
coloured paper, with engraved borders.
In the avenue leading from the grand front of the houfe
to Laytonltone, is a circular piece of water, which feems
equal to the length of the front. There are no wings to
the houfe, although they were included in the original de-
fign. On each fide, as we approach the houfe, is a marble
ftatue ; that on the left, Hercules, and the other Omphale;
and hence, to compenfate, as it were, for the defect: of wings,
obelifks and vafes extend alternately to the houfe. The
garden front has no portico, but a pediment, enriched with
a bas-relief, and fuppprted by fix three-quarter columns.
From this front is an eafy defcent, through a fine vifta, to
the river Roding, which is formed into canals ; and, be-
yond it, the walks and wilderndies rife up the hill, as they
doped downward before. 'Highland Houfe, the elegant
feat of Ifaac Currie, Efq. built of ftone, forms a beautiful
termination to the vifta. Among other decorations of tbe
gardens is a curious grotto.
Mr. Young, in his " Six Weeks Tour," obferves, that
" Wanfted, upon the whole, is one of the nobleil houfes in
England. The magnificence of having four ftate-bed cham-
bers, with complete apartments to them, and the ball-
room, are fuperior to aiiy thing of the kind in Houghton,
Holkam, Blenheim, and Wilton. But each of thefe houfes
is fuperior to this, in other particulars; and, to form a com-
plete palace, fomething mull betaken from all. In refpect
T o elegance of architecture, Wanikd is fecond to Holkanj.
C c What
What a building would it lie, were the wings added, ac-
cording to the nrft defign !''
WARE, a market-town in Herts, on the great north
road, and on the river Lea, 2 i miles from London. In 1408,
the town was deftroyed by a great inundation ; and fluices
and wears being made in the river to preferve it from fu-
ture floods, Camden fuppofes, that it hence acquired the
name of Ware. The church ia large, in the form of a
crofs, and has a gallery erected by the Governors of Chrift
Hofpital in London ; but the fchool, which was for the
younger children of that hofpital, is removed to Hertford.
Here is a confiderable market for corn ; and 5000 quarters
of malt and other corn are frequently fent in a week to
London, by the barges, which return with coals.
In the vicinity of Ware are feveral good feats ; of which
the principal are Fanham Hall, the feat of John Currie,
Efq; Amwell Bury, the villa of Capt. Brown, lately Mr.
Franco's; Cold Harbour, the feat and park of T. Cafwell,
Efq; Blakefware and Gilfton Park, the feats of William
Plumer, Efq. who refides in the latter ; and New Hall,