Copyright
F. H. (Frank Herbert) Hayward.

Ambulator; or, A pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of twenty-five miles: describing whatever is most remarkable for antiquity, grandeur, elegance, or rural beauty .. online

. (page 5 of 30)
Online LibraryF. H. (Frank Herbert) HaywardAmbulator; or, A pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of twenty-five miles: describing whatever is most remarkable for antiquity, grandeur, elegance, or rural beauty .. → online text (page 5 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


by the fails, which confift "of 96 double planks, placed per-
E pendicularlyt



38 BATTERSEA.

pendicularly, and of the fame height as the planks that form
the fhutters. The wind rufhing through the openings of
thefe fhutters, acls with great power upon the fails, and,
when it blows frefh, turns the mill with prodigious rapidi-
fy ; but this may be moderated, hi an inftant, by leffening
the apertures between the fhutters ; which is effected, Jike
the entire flopping of the mill, as before obferved, by the
pulling of a rope. In this mill are fix pair of floncs, to
which two pair more may be added. On the fite of the
garden and terrace, Meflrs. Hodgfon and Co. have ere&ed
extenfive bullock houfes, capable of holding 650 bullocks,
ltd with the grains from the diitillerv, mixed with meal.

In the E. end of the church, (which was very neatly re-
built a few years ago) is a window, in which are three por-
traits ; the firft, that of Margaret Beauchamp, anceftor (by
her firft hufband, Sir Oliver St. John) of the St. Johns, and
(by her fecond hufband, John Beaufort, Duke of Somerfet)
grandmother to Henry VII; the fecond the portrait of that
Monarch; and the third, that of Queen Elizabeth, which
is placed here, becaufe her grandfather, Thomas Boleyn,
Earl of Wiltfhire (father of Queen Anne Boleyn) was
great grandfather of Anne, the daughter of Sir Thomas
Leighton, and wife of Sir John St. John, the firft baronet
of the family. In this church is a monument, by Rou-
biliac, to the memory of Vifcount Bolingbroke, and his
fecond wife, a niece of Madame de Maintenon's. A pane-
gyrical epitaph mentions his " zeal to maintain the liberty,
and reftore the ancient profperity of Great Britain.'' The
beft comment on this are the words of his great admirer,
the Earl of Cheftei'field : " The relative, political, and com-
mercial interefts of every country in Europe, and particu-
larly of his own, are better known to Lord Bolingbroke,
than to any man in it ; but bo*u) Jleadily be has purfited the
latter i in bis public conaufl, bis enemies of all parties and deno-
minations tell -with joy." Another monument, to the me-
mory of Sir Edward Winter, an Eaft India Captain in the
reign of Charles II, relates, that being attacked in the
woods by a tyger, he placed himfelf on the fide of a pond,
and, when the tyger flew at him, he caught him in his
arms, fell back with him into the water, got upon him, and
kept him down till he had drowned him. This adventure,

as



B E A 39

as well as another wonderful exploit, is vouched for by the
following lines:

Alonr, imarmM, a tygre he opprefs'd,
And crufli'd to death the moniter of a bead,
Thrice twenty mounted Moors he overthrew,"
Singly on foot, forr.e wounded, fome he flew;
Difperft the reft : What more could Sampfon do ?

Batterfea has been long famous for the fineft afparagus.
Here Sir Walter St. John founded a free fchool for twenty
boys; and here is a bridge over the Thames to Chelfea.

"BAYSWATER, a fmall hamlet, in the parifh of Pad-
dington, on.e mile from London, in the road to Uxbridge.
The public tea-gardens here were, about 25 years ago, the
gardens of the late Sir John Hill, who here caitivated his
medicinal plants, and prepared from them his tinctures, ef-
ier.res, &c. The refervoir at Bayfwater was intended for
the fupply of Kenfington palace, and the property was
granted to the proprietors of the Chelfea water-works, on
their engaging to keep.the bafin before the palace full. The
wheel at Hyde-Park wall near Knightlbridge chapel, was
made for the conveyance of this water. The conduit at
Bayfwater belongs to the city of London, and fupplies the
houfes in and about Bond Street, which ftand upon the city
lands. The Queen's Lying-in Hofpital, inftituted in 1752,
for delivering poor women, married or unmarried, was re-
moved here, in 1791, from its former fituation near Cum-
berland Street.

BEACONSFIELD, a market-town in Bucks, in the road
to Oxford, 23 miles from London, lias feveral fine feats in
Its vicinity. See BulJlroJe^ Butler's Court, Hall Barn y and
/;?//- Park.

BEAUMONT LODGE, the feat of 'Henry Griffiths,
Efq. fituate on an eafy afcent, by the fide of the Thames, at
Old Windfor, was the feat of the late Duke of Cumberland.
It became afterward the property of Thomas Watts, Efq. of
whom it was purchafed by Governor Haftings, who fold it
to Mr. Griffiths. This gentleman has built one entire new
wing, with correfpondent additions to the other: he has
likewife raifed the centre to an equal height. In the front
4>i this is a colonnade, confifting of fix columns and two'pi-
E 2 lafters,



40 B E I)

lafters, which are raifed from four pedeftals, two ftinfft
fpringing out of each bafe. Thefe are from the dofign of
Mr. Emlyn, according to his new; order of architecture.
Under the colonnade, and even with the firft floor, is a
light and elegant balcony, commanding a very pleafing
view of the Thames and of the adjacent country.

BECKENHAM, a village near Bromley, in Kent. Here
isLangley, the feat of Sir Peter Burrcll, Bart, and Becken-
ham Place, belonging to John Cator, Efq. At Beckenham
alfo is the refidence of Lord Auckland.

BEDDINGTON, a village, two miles Weft of Croydon.
Here is the feat of the ancient family of Carew, which de-
fcending to Richard Gee, Efq. of Orpington, in Kent, that

fentleman, in 1780, took the name and arms of Carew.
t was forfeited, in 1539, on the attainder and execution of
Sir Nicholas Carew, for a confpiracy. His ion, Sir Fran-
cis, having procured the reverfal of the attainder, purchafed
this eftate of Lord Darcy, to whom it had been granted by
Edward VI. He rebuilt the manfion-houfe, and planted
the gardens with choice fruit trees, in the cultivation of
which he took great delight*. The .Park is ftili famous

for

* Sir Francis fpared no expence In procuring them from foreign coun-
tries. The firft orange trees feen in England are faid to have been plant-
ed by him. Aubrey fays, they were brought from Italy by Sir Francis
Carew. But the editors of the Biographia, fpeaking from a tradition pre-
ferved in the family, tell us, they were raifed by Sir Francis Carew from 1
the feeds of the firll oranges which were imported into England by Sir
Walter Raleigh, who had married his niece, the daughter of Sir Nicholas
Throckmorton. The trees were planted in the open ground, and were
prefervedin the winter by a moveahle flied. They fiourifhed for about a
century and a half, baing deftroyed by the hard froft in 1739 4- I
the garden was a p'eafure-hGufc, on the top of which was painted the
Spaj'.ifh Invafion. In Auguft 1599, Queen Elizabeth pud a vifit to Sir
Francis Carew, at Be.lding^on, tor three days, and again in the fame
month, the enfuing yea;'. The Queen's oA, and hir f ivourite walk, are
ftjll pointed out. Sir Hugh Flatt tells an anecdote, in his Garden of
Eden, relating to one of thefe vifits, which fhews the pains Sir Francis
took in the management and cultivation of his fruit trees: "Here!
\villconclude," fays he, "with a conceit .of that delicate .Knight, Sir
Francis Carew, who, for the better accomplilhnu-nt of his > royal enter-
tainment of our late Qoeen Elizabeth, of happy memory, at his houfe at
Bcdriirfl'on, led hcrmaj^fty to a cherry-tree, whofe fruit he had of purpofe
Jitpt back from ripening, at the ltft oac month, after all other cherries

had.



S E L 41

for walnut-trees. The mauor-houfe, fituate near the
church, is built of brick, and occupies three iides of a
fquare. It was rebuilt in its prefent form in 1 709. The
great door of the hall has a curious ancient lock, richly
wrought: a fhield with the arms of England, moving in a
groove, conceals the key-hole. In the aides of the church
are feveral ftalls, after the manner of cathedrals. See Wal-
ling 'ton.

BEECHWOOD, near St. Alban% the feat of Sir Joha
Ser'ight, Baronet.

LiELFONT, a village, 13 miles from London, on the
road to Staines. In the churchyard, two yew trees unite
to form an arch over the footpath, and exhibit, in fombre
verdure, the date of the year 1 704.

BELLHOUSE, the feat of the Dowager Lady Dacre, at
Aveley, in Eflex, zo miles from London, in the road to
Tilbury, is fituated in a well-wooded park, and was built
in the reign of Henry VIII. The late Lord much im-
proved this noble manfion; and to his (kill in architecture,
Bellhoufe owes the elegant neatnefs of its decorations, from,
defigns made by himfelf, and executed under his own iu-
fpedion.

BELLHOUSE, the feat of the Hon. George Petre, at
Hare Street, 18 miles from London, in the road to Chip-
ping Ongar.

BELLMONT, an elegant villa and park, in the parifh
of Great Stanmore; occupied, at prefent, by John Drum-
mond, Efq. during the minority of his .nephew.

BELVEDERE HOUSE, the feat of Lord Eardky, is
fituated on the brow of a hill, near Erith, in Kent, and
commands a vaft extent of country beyond the Thames,
which is a mile and a half diftant. The river adds greatly
to the beauty of the fcene, which exhibits a very pleafmg
landfcape. The fhipp employed in the trade of London

had take i their farewell of Enghnd. This fecret he performed, hy itrain-
iiig a tent, or cuver-of canvafs, oxer the whoie tree, and wetting the fame
now anl then with a fcoop or horn, as the heal of the weather required;
and fo, by withholding the fun beams from reflecting upon the berries,
they grew both great, and were very long before they had gotten their
pcrfeft cherry colour; and, when he .was allured of her Majcfty's coniinjr,
he removed the tent, and a few funny days brought thera to their full
maturity ." Ljfcni' Environs if Lor/dor, Vd, /. Page 56.

E 3 are



42 BEN

are feen failing up and down. On the other fide are prof-
pefts not lefs beautiful, though of another kind. His lord-
fliip has very judicioufly laid out his grounds. The old
houfe was hut fmall; he, therefore, built a noble manfion,
and the only apartment left of the former is an elegant
drawing-room, built by his father. The colledion of pic-
tures contains many capital productions of the greateft
matters. The following is a catalogue of them: View of
Venice, and ditto with the Doge marrying the Sea, its
companion, Canaletti ; Time bringing Truth to Light, a
(ketch, Rubens; the Alchemift, Teniers ; Portrait of Sir
John Gage, Holbein ; a Landfcape, G. Pouflin ; Battle of
the Amazons, Rottenhamer ; the Unjuft Steward, Quintin,
Matfys;' Noah's Ark, Velvet Brughel ; St. Catjjsif ine,
Leonardo da Vinci ; Van Tromp^ Francis Hals; Vfefcan,
or the Element of Fire, BalTan ; Horfcs, its companion,
\Vbuvermans; two Infides of Churches, final!, De Neef ;
a Dutch Woman and her three Children, More ; Rem-
brandt painting an Old Woman, by himfelf ; a Courtezan
and her Gallant, Giorgione ; the Golden Age, Velvet
Brughel ; Snyders, with his Wife and Child, Rubens; Re-
becca bringing Prefents to Laban, De la Hyre ; Boors at
Cards, Teniers ; the Element of Earth, Jai. Baflan ; Mar-
riage in Cana, P. Veronefe ; two Landfcapes, G. Pouflin ;
the Genealogy of Chrift, Albert Durer ; Beggar Boys at
Cards, S. Rofa ; Herod confulting the Wife Men, Rem-
brandt ; Marriage of St. Catherine, Old Palma ; the Con-
ception, for an altar-piece, Murillo ; the Flight into Egypt,
its companion, Ditto ; Vulcan, Venus, Cupid, and fundry
figures, an emblematic fubjecl, Tintoret ; Mars and Venus,
P. Veronefe ; Chrift among the Doctors, L. Giordano ;
Duke of Buckingham's Miftrefs, her three children, and a
Son of Rubens, by himfelf ; a Landfcape, Lorrain; Leo-
pold's Gallery, Teniers ; Teniers' own Gallery, Ditto.

BENTLEY PRIORY, the magnificent feat of the Mar-
quis of Abercorn, fituate on the fummit of Stanmore Hill,
but in the parifh of Harrow. The file of it is fuppofed to
be that of an ancient priory, which, at the diflbhuion, was
converted into a private houfe. The houfe, which com-
mands extenfive views, was built from the defigns of Mr.
Soame, by Mr. James Du-berly. Of him it was purchafed,

in



BET 43

in 1788, by the Marquis of Abercorrij who has made very
large additions to it, and converted it into a noble iiianfion.
It is furhifhed with a valuable collection of pictures by old
mafters, and a few antique bufts : that of Marcus Aurelius
is much admired by the connoifTeurs. The dining room
is 40 feet by 30 ; the falcon and mufic-room are each 50
feet by 30. In the latter are feveral portraits of the Ha-
milton family. In the falcon is the celebrated pidlure of
St. Jerome's Dream, by Parmegiano. The beautiful plan-
tations contain 200 acres.

EE-RTIE PLACE, near Chiflehurft, in Kent, an ancient
manfion, long in the pofleffion of the family of Farrington.
Thomas Farrington, Efq. bequeathed it to his nephew, the
late Lord Robert Bertie, who greatly improved the houfe
,-md grounds. It is now the refidence of the Right Hon.
Charles Townfliend.

BETCHWORTH, a village in Surry, between Darking
and Reigate, with a caftle of the fame name, the feat
of the late Mifs Judith Tucker. A mile from this is
Tranquil Dale, the elegant villa of Mr. Petty. The fituation
of this charming place feems perfectly correfpondent to its
appellation ; confecrated, as it were, more particularly, to
the lover of rural quiet and contemplation,

Who, when young Spring protrudes the burftlng gems,

Marks the firrt bud, and fucks the healthful gale,

Into his frefhen'd foul ; her genial hours

He fall enjoys; and not a beauty blows,

And not an opening blofibm breathes in vain. THOMSON.

BETHNAL GREEN, once a hamlet of Stepney, from
which it was feparated, in 1 743, and formed into a diftinct
parifh, by the name of St. Matthew, Bethnal Green. It h
iituated N. W. of the metropolis, extends over a confide-
rable part of the fuburbs, and contains about 490 acres of
land, not built upon. The well-known ballad of the Blind
Beggar of Bethnal Green was written in the reign of
Elizabeth : the legend is told of the reign of Henry III ;
and Henry de Montfort, (fonof the Earl of Leicefter) who
was fuppofed to have fallen at the battle of Evefham, is the
hero*. Though it is probable, that the author might have

* Percy's Relives of Ancient Poetry, Vol, II. p. i6z.

fixed



44 B L A

.fixed upon any other fpot, with equal propriety, for the re-
lidence of his beggar, the (lory, neverthelefs, leems to have
gained much credit in the village, where it decorates not
only the fignpofts of the publicans, but the ftaffof the pa-
riah beadle ; and Ib convinced are fome of the inhabitants,
that they fhevv an ancient hovtfe on the Green as the pa-
lace of the blind beggar*.

BEXLEY, a village, 12 miles from London, to the right
of the Dover Road. Bexley Manor was in the pofleffion
of the celebrated Camden, who bequeathed it for the en-
dowing of a profeflbrfhip of Hiftory at Oxford. In this
parifh is Hall-Place, the refidence of Richard Calvert, Efq.
.See Danfon Hill.

BILLERICAY, a market-town in Eflex, 23 miles from
London. It is feated on a fine eminence, in the road from
Chelmsford to Tilbury Fort, and commands a beautiful
profpeft of the Kentifh hills, with a rich valley, and the
river Thames, intervening. It has an ancient chapel ; but
the mother church is at Great Burfted.

BLACKHEATH, a fine elevated heath, in the pariflies
of Greenwich, Lewifham, and Lee, five miles from Lon-
don. It commands fome noble profpe&s: particularly
from that part called '* The Point," which is a delightful
lawn, fituated behind a pleafant grove, at the weft end of
Chocolate Row. On this heath are the villas of Richard
Hulfe, Efq. the Duke of Bucclengh, Mr. Latham, the Earl
of Dartmouth, and Capt. Larkin. But the greateft orna-
ment of Blackheath, was the magnificent feat of Sir Gre-
gory Page. It confided of a centre, united to two wings
by a colonnade ; and was adorned with maftei ly paintings,
rich hangings, marbles, and alto-relievos. But how un-
ilable is human grandeur! Sir Gregory died in 1775, and
left this feat to his nephew, Sir Gregory Turner, who took
the name and arms of Page. Sir Gregory Page Turner
difpofed of the noble collection of paintings by auction ;
and, by virtue of an Acl of Parliament, the houfe and
grounds were fold by auction to John Cator, Efq. for

* This old manfion, now called Bethnal Green houfe, was built in the
reign of Elizabeth, by Mr. Kirby, a citizen of London, and is ftill cillcd
in the writings, Kirby Caftle. it is now the property of James Stratton,
f<j. and has been long appropriated for the reception of infane perfons.

22,5501,



B L A 45

21.550!. This gentleman fold it again by auclion, in
1787, in a very different way; all the materials, with its
magnificent decorations, being fold in feparate lots*.

In 1780, a cavern was difcovered, on the fide of the af-
cent to Blackheath, in the road to Dover. It confifh of 7
large rooms, from is to 36 feet wide each way, which have
a communication with each other by arched avenues. Some
of the apartments have large conical domes, 36 feet high,
fupported by a column of chalk, 43 yards in circumference.
The bottom of the cavern is 50 feet from the entrance ; at
the extremities 160 feet ; and it is defcended by a flight of
fteps. The fides and roof are rocks of chalk ; the bottom
is a fine dry fand ; and, 170 feet under ground, is a well of
very fine water 27 feet deep.

BLACKMORE, a village in Eflex, between Ongar and
Ingatelhme, feven miles from Chelmsford. An ancient
priory flood near the church. " It is reported," fays
Morant, " to have been one of King Henry the Eighth's
pleafure-houfes, and diiringuilhed by the name of Jericho ;
lo that when this Jafcivious prince had a mind to repair to
his courtezans, the cant word among his courtiers was, that

* This feat, now a melancholy (hell, may remind the reader of Canons,
near Edgwarc, the onxe princely palace of the princely Chandos, which
rofe and difappeared in lefs than half a century! Similar was the fate of
Eaftbury, in Dorfetfliire, a magnificent feat, which coft ioo,cool. It was
built by the famous George Bubb Dodington, whom Thomfon celebrates
in his Summer," for all the public virtues ; whofeown Diary, publilh-
ed fince his death, has unmarked the wily courtier and intriguing ftatef-
jnan ; and whofe vanity, at the age of fourfcore, when he had no heir to
inherit his honours, induced him to accept the title of Lord Melcombe
Regis. This fear, on his death, devolved on the late Earl Temple, who
lent it to his brother, Mr. Henry Grenville, on whofe death, trie Earl of-
fered to give aoel. a year to any gentleman to occupy and keep it up ; but
the propofal not being accepted, he determined to pull it down, and the
materials produced little more than the prime coft of the plumber and
glazier's work. Events of this kind lead the mind into awful reflections
on ihe inftnbility of the proud monuments of human grandeur ; directing
our attention to the confummation of all things, when

The cloud-capt towers, the gorgeous palaces,

The folemn temples, the great globe itfelf,

Yea, all which it inherit, (hall diffolve,

And, like the bafelefs fabric of a vifion,

Leave not a rack behind. ?H AKSPE AR E.

ho



46 B L A

he was gone to Jericho." Here was born his natural forr,
Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond and Somerfet, the
friend of the gallant and accomplifhed Earl of Surry, whofc
poetry makes fuch adifttngtiifhed figure in the literature of
the i6th century. This ancient uruclure was repaired,
and fome additions made to it, about 73 years ago, by Sir
Jacob Ackworth, Bart, whole daughter, Lady Wheate,
fold it to the prefent pofTeflbr, Richard Prefton, Efq. The
river Can, which partly furrounds the garden, is ftill called
here the River Jw<lan. Not far from Jericho is Smyth
Hail, the feat of Charles Alexander Crickitt, Efq. to whom
it was left by his uncle Captain Charles Alexander. Mr.
Crickitt has new-fronted this old manfion, in a window of
which was fome fine ftained glafs, of great antiquity, repre-
fcnting ancient military figures. Thefe he has carefully
preferved, and formed into a beautiful window for the
ftaircafe.

JJL ACKWALL, in Middlefex, betweenPopIar (to which
hamlet it belongs) and the mouth of the river Lea, is re-
markable for the fhipyard and wet dock of John Perry,
Efq. The dock, which is the moft confiderable private
one in Europe, contains, with the wattr and embankments,
nearly 19 acres. It can receive 28 Jarge Eaft Indiamen,
and from 50 to 60 fhips of fmaller burthen, with room to
tranfport them from one part of the dock to any other.

On the fpacious fouth quay are creeled four cranes, for
the purpofe of landing the guns, anchors, quintaledges, and
heavy flores of the fliips.

On the eaft quay, provifion is made to land the blubber
from the Greenland fhips; and, adjoining, are coppers
prepared for boiling the fame, with fpacious warehoufes
for the reception of the oil and whalebone ; and ample
conveniences for flowing and keeping dry the rigging and
fails of the fhips.

On the weft quay is erefted a building 120 feet in height,
for the purpofe of laying up the fails and rigging of the In-
diamen ; with complete machinery above, for mafting and
difmafting the (hips; whereby the former practice of raif-
ing fheers on the deck, fo injurious to the fliips, and ex-
tremely dangerous to the men, is entirely avoided. The
firft fhip mafted by this machine was the Lord Macartney,



BOW 47

on the 2$th of October 1791 ; her whole fuit of mafts, and
bowfprit, being raifed. and fixed in three hours and forty
minutes, by half the number of hands ufually employed two
days in the fame fervice.

On each end of the north bank, are erefted houfes for
the watchmen, who have the care of the fhips night and
day; with cook-rooms, in which the failors drefs their
provifions, perfectly Iheltered from the inclemency of the
weather.

The bafins without the dock-gate are fo prepared, that
fliips are continually laid on the flocks, and their bottoms
infpe&ed, without 'the neceflity of putting them into the
dry docks; whereby much time and expence are faved.

Toward the end of the year 1789, and in all 1790, peo-
ple came from far and near to colleft the nuts, and pieces
of trees, which were found, in digging this dock, in a
found and perfect ftate, although they mull h^ave^laid here
for ages. They feem to have been overfet by fome con-
vulfion, or violent impulfe, from the northward, as all their
tops lay toward the fouth.

Not far from this dock is a copperas work belonging to
Mr. Perry, on the river Lea, near the Thames, in the pa-
rifli of St. Leonard, Bromley ; the molt complete work of
the kind in the kingdom.

BLECHINGLY, a fmall borough in Surry, without
a market. It is 20 miles from London, and being fituated
on a hill on the fide of Holmefdale, affords a fine profpeft
as far as SufTex and the fouth Downs; and from fome of
the ruins of the caftle, which are ftill vifible, in the midft
of a coppice, is a view to the weft into Hampfhire, and to
the eaft into Kent.

BOOKHAM, GREAT, a village near Leatherhead:
Here are the fine feats of Sir William Geary, Baronet, and
Mr. Lock, and a handfome houfe belonging to Mr. Lau-
rel. See Polefden and Norbury Park. -,

BOTLEYS, near Cheitfey, the elegant new-built villa
of Sir Jofeph Mawbey, Bart.

BOW, or STRATFORD BOW, a village in Middlefex,
two miles to the E. of London, on the great Eflex,road.
Here is a bridge over the river Lea, faid to have been built
by Matilda, Queen of Henry the firft, and to be the firft

ft one



4$ BRA

Hone bridge m England*. In common with Stratford^
on the opposite fide of the river, and many other Stratfords
in various parts of the kingdom, it takes the name of Strat-
fore/ from an ancient ford near one of the Roman high-
ways. Its church, built by Henry II, was a chapel of eafc
to Stepney ; but was made parochial in 1740.

BOX HILL, near Darking, in Sorry, received its name
from the box trees planted on the fouth fide of it, by the
Earl of Arundel, in the reign of Charles I ; but the north
part is covered with yews. Thefe groves are interfperfed
with a number of little green fpots and agreeable walks.
From the higheft part of this hill, in a clear day, is a prof-
peel over part of Kent and Surry, and the whole of SufTex,
quite to the Sooth Downs, near the fea, at the diftance of
36 miles. The weft and north views overlook a large
part of Surry and Middlefex ; and advancing to the place
called the Quarry, upon the ridge of the hill that runs to-
ward Mickleham, the fublime and beautiful unite in form-
ing a grand and delightful fcene: we look down, from a
vaft and almoft perpendicular height, upon a well-cultivat-



Online LibraryF. H. (Frank Herbert) HaywardAmbulator; or, A pocket companion in a tour round London, within the circuit of twenty-five miles: describing whatever is most remarkable for antiquity, grandeur, elegance, or rural beauty .. → online text (page 5 of 30)