Copyright
Faustina Hichborn.

Historical sketch of Stockton Springs online

. (page 3 of 5)
Online LibraryFaustina HichbornHistorical sketch of Stockton Springs → online text (page 3 of 5)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mand, whenever a battle has been imminent,
owing to sickfiess of Capt. Dow," said the
petition of his men, and of Col. McGilvery,
to the Governor of Maine.

Hlias D. lyibby, a member of this 6th
Maine Battery, was several times promoted,

50



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

being ist lyieut. when mustered out at the
end of the conflict. Daniel I^. Dickey was
elected Capt. of his company, soon after
he joined the army. Robert H. Grey was
made ist Lieut, and Freeman Goodhue
held the same rank, at the end of his term
of enlistment. Cassius C. Roberts had a
Captain's commission; and many had been
made either Sergt. or Corpl., during their
years of service.

All honor to the soldiers, living or dead!

In those days of terrible suspense — when
the arrival of the mails was awaited with
trembling anxiety, lest a battle be reported,
with its consequent list of "killed, wound-
ed and taken prisoners" — the public-spirit-
ed ladies of Stockton organized themselves
into a "Soldiers' Aid Society," February
5, 1863.

From the record book of the secretary,
Mrs. N. G. Hichborn, we copy the follow-
ing:

Constitution.

"Act I — This organization shall be known

as the Stockton Branch, of the New Kng-

51



HISTORICAL SKETCH



land Women's Auxiliary Association, an
adjunct of the U. S. Sanitary Commission,
for the relief of the sick and wounded
soldiers in camp and hospital.

Act 2 — The officers of this society shall
consist of a President, Secretary, Treasur-
er, Soliciting and Purchasing Committee
and Committee of Managers.

Act 3 — The duty of the President shall
be to preserve order and preside at all bus-
iness meetings of the society.

The duty of the Secretary shall be to
keep a strict account of all doings of the
society, all funds received, all purchases
made, the contents of each box sent, and
to report quarterly to the N. B. Womans'
Auxiliary Association.

Act 4 — The duty of the Treasurer
shall be to receive and hold all mone^^ of
the society, pay all bills of the Purchasing
Committee — all settlements to be made
monthly — and report regularly to the Sec-
retary to be copied into the records.

Art 5 — The duty of the Soliciting and
Purchasing Committee shall be to solicit

52



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

funds, etc., and purchase all materials for
work.

The duty of the Committee of Managers
shall be to arrange for all special meetings,
levees, ect., and have a general super-
vision of all work.

Act 6 — This society shall hold its meet-
ings regularly, every Thursday afternoon,
in Cleaves Hall, kindly offered by Mr.
and Mrs. Stephen Cleaves.

Act 7 — It shall be the duty of all mem-
bers of this society to sign the Constitu-
tion, attend all meetings, and aid the work
in every possible way.

Names of members follow:

Mesdames Alexander Grifhn, Henry
McGilvery, Nancy Morton, James Part-
ridge, Ralph Morse, B. S. Berry, Peleg
Staples, Freeman Kelley, George B. Bates,
N. G. Hichborn, Bmery Berry, B. F.
Mcintosh, Mary A. Griffin, John Libbey,
David G. Ames, William Hichborn,
Samuel A. Rendell, Stephen Cleaves,
Warren F. Griffin, P. S. Haskell, Horace
Staples, Blias Patterson, C. S. Blanchard^

53



HISTORICAL SKETCH



Albion P. Goodhue, B. S. Crockett, Joseph
W. Thompson, Octavia Cheney, Henry A.
Hichborn, B. M. Roberts, Henry S.
Staples, Maria S. Farnham, I^ewis M.
Partridge, Richard Crocker, Lorena B.
Patterson, Charles S. Rendell, Isaac
lyanpher, Jane lyambert, DesiahG. Harris,
J. French Hichborn, Wilson Hichborn,
William D. Colcord, Everett Staples,
lycwis Snell, Josiah Colcord, Sulivan Pat-
terson, John lyibbey, Robert Hichborn,
G. M. Simmons, Jesse Griffin, I. H.
Griffin, T. M. Hichborn, Edward Lafolley;
Misses Susan Hichborn, Angie M. Rendell,
Kate Giltnan, Carrie Pattee, Sarah A.
Blanchard, Marietta Mudgett, Angeline T.
Griffin, Alina M. Staples, Faustina Hich-
born, Roxanna Cleaves, Almira Harriman,
Olivia McGilvery, Emma Hichborn, Mar-
tha E. Brown, Julia Staples, Mary Abbie
Farnham, Maria Griffin, lyizzie Staples,
Mary E. Grant.

At the first meeting of the society
the following officers were elected:

Mrs. Alexander Griffin, President; Mrs.
N. G. Hichborn, Secretary; Mrs. Henry

54



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

McGilvery and Mrs. Mary A. Griffin,
Purchasing and Soliciting Committee; Mrs.
Ralph Morse, Treasurer; Mrs. Freeman
Kelly, Mrs. Peleg Staples, Mrs. Everett
Staples, Mrs. Emery Berry, Mrs. Henry
McGilvery, Mrs. B. M. Roberts, Mrs.
Isaac lyanpher, Mrs. David G. Ames and
Mrs. James Partridge, Committee of Man-
agers.

"Feb. 12, 1862 — first regular meeting —
Commenced dressing-sacques, slippers,
drawers, shirts, etc. Thirty members
present."

Thus the record goes on. The making
of quilts, stockings, hospital slippers,
sheets and pillow slips being continued un-
til a sufficient quantity had been prepared
to fill a large dry-goods box, when it was
forwarded to the N. E. A. A., 22 Summer
St., Boston, Mass., from whence it was
sent, free of charge, to the Sanitary Com-
mission Rooms in Washington, D. C.

The first box left Stockton May i, 1863
and contained, as per the record book, the
following articles: "Ouilts 7, sheets 6,
shirts (flannel) 4, undershirts 4, drawers

55



HISTORICAL SKETCH



(pairs) 6, stockings (pairs) 20, towels 10,
handkerchiefs 24, dressing-gowns 4,
crackers (dozs.) 15, cornstarch (papers) 6,
preserved ginger (jars) 2, dried apples
(lbs.) 12, rice (lbs.) 12, irish moss (lbs.)
3, tea (lbs.) 3, sugar (lbs.) 16, honey
(jars) 3, condensed milk (cans) 4, guava
jelly (boxes) 4, cayenne pepper (boxes) 3,
ginger (lbs.) 2, composim (papers) 2, tam-
arinds (jars) 2, preserves (jars) 2, sardines
(boxes) 4, strawberry jelly (jars) 2, apple
jelly (glasses) 3, currant jelly (glass) i,
green apples (dozs.) 4, and 3 pairs hospital
slippers."

The acknowledgement of said box from
the N. K. Woman's Auxiliary Association
bears date May 4, 1863, and reads as fol-
lows:



"Mrs. Highborn,

Dear Madam: —
We have received a large box of most
acceptable articles from the Stockton
Branch, sent May ist. The contents are
admirably selected; and come most oppor-
tunely, when the need of such is likely to
be so great. Please present our cordial

56




(1) Middle Church Street.

(2) North Side Main Street.



(3) South Side Main Street.

(4) West Main Street.
Photographs by H. D. Hiehhorii



(5) Lower Church Street.



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS



thanks to the ladies associated with you,
for their active benevolence, in co-operat-
ing with us, and assure them that the
goods sent by them., will be promptly for-
warded to Washington, and from there
sent where most needed.
Respectfully,
S. WiiviviAMS, Agent,

N. K. W. A. A."

The record shows that another box con-
taining similar articles, was forwarded
May 15th, and another July 8th, and a
fourth on July 29th. Another was sent
forward Nov. 21st, and the last for 1863,
was sent December 9th.

On Feb. 2, 1864, this ladies' association
sent to U. S. Sanitary Commission for the
relief of our sick or wounded soldiers,
$50.00, by hand of B. M. Roberts."

This receipt is pasted into the book of
records:

"B. M. RoBKRTvS, Esq.,
Dear Sir:—
Your letter and donation of fifty dollars,
from the Sanitary Society of Stockton, is
just received. Thanks to your liberal cit-

57



HISTORICAL SKETCH



izens for this substantial expression of pa-
triotism and humanity. May the "bless-
ing of him, who is ready to die, if neces-
sary," be upon the heads of the Stockton
donors.

Yours very truly,
W. H. HadIvKy, Agent,

U. S. Sanitary Commission."

Other boxes were sent to the front on
April 1 8, 1864, May 21st, Sept. 20th, and
on Oct. ist, a box was forwarded to the U.
S. A. Gen. Hospital at Augusta, Maine,
for which the following acknowledgement
is in the records:

"Madam: —

In behalf of the inmates of this U. S.
Hospital I gratefully thank you for the
box of necessary articles sent_to relief of
the "boys in blue."

Very respectfully,

J. S. TURNKR."

We find recorded the following:
"April 7, 1865. Sent to Maine Military
State Agency, vSoldiers' Relief Association,
through N. G. Hichborn, $100 for assist-

58



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

ing in relieving our brave soldiers." And
this acknowledgement is below.

"Mrs. Highborn,

Sec. I^adies' Aid Association,
Madam: —
We have Justin hand, April lo, 1865,
the sum of $100, forwarded by the hand of
Hon. N. G. Hichborn, for the benefit of
our suffering, noble soldiers.

It has been given to the agent who will
apply it to the most urgent needs, accord-
ing to his best judgment. Many thanks
for this generous gift, from the Stockton
Sanitary Aid Association.
Very respectfully,

ly. WaTvSon, Agent."

On April 29th, 1865, the last box of sup-
plies was sent to Washington.

A grand work had been done by the
women of this small town. $675.36 had
been received in cash, from personal con-
tributions, levees, lectures, etc. 25 quilts,
20 pillows, 99 sheets, 113 pillow cases, 72
shirts, 20 undershirts, 126 flannel under-
shirts, 25 pairs drawers, 90 pairs hose, 159

59



HISTORICAL SKETCH



towels, 227 handkerchiefs, 10 dressing
gowns, 2 linen coats, 40 pairs slippers, 70
enameled cushions, 14 bed sacks, 40 arm
slings, 232 bandages, 15 boxes lint, 86
pin balls, 35 lbs. crackers, 20 papers corn
starch, 28 lbs. dried apples, 40 lbs. rice,
5 lbs. Irish moss, 6 boxes figs, 35 lbs.
sugar, 3 jars honey, 5 cans condensed
milk, I barrel green apples, 15 jars apple
jelly, 10 jars current jelly, 5 boxes guava
jelly and 4 jars quince jelly had been sent
to the U. S. Sanitary Commission. Two
hundred dollars had been sent in money.
All had been recorded and acknowledged.

The present generation can gaze with
honorable pride upon this work of their
mothers and grandmothers.

The curse of the Confederate privateer
fell heavily upon the Stockton shipping.
Several captains lost their vessels; one,
Capt. Everett Staples, being compelled to
witness the sinking of a fine new barque,
(going down "with all sails set") scuttled
by rebel hands! A man of great force of
character, executive ability and unswerv-
ing loyalty, it is not to be supposed that
60



OF STOCKTO N SPRINGS

Capt. S. prayed for the success of the
Southern Confederacy, when the "Alina"
disappeared beneath the waves of the At-
lantic. By heredity he detested treason:
from environment, he then despised trait-
ors! Notwithstanding these drawbacks,
ship building increased in Stockton.



6i



THE ADVENT OF THE
RAILROAD




(1) The late C. S. Fletcher, Ship Builder and Merchant. (5) The late Hon. N. 0. Hichborn, Ship Builder and

(2) The late Capt. Henry McGilvery. Ship Builder, G,^^];^^;,TinLtt,l^^hey &Gr\ffin

1^^"-^^- (7) Willard M. Griffin, Mudgett, Libbey & Griffin.

(3) The late Henry S. Staples, Merchant and Ship (g) Albion P. Goodhue, Retired Master Builder.

Builder. (9) Capt. A. D. Griffin, of Mudgett, Libbey & Griffin.

(4) The late Alvah Mudgett, Mudgett, Libbey & Griffin, (10) The late John Litchfield, Master Builder, 1860-72.

Ship Builders and Merchants. (11) Alexander Staples, Retired Citizen.



^ i' / ^ I HK fates lead the willing and
^^ drag the unwilling!" Thus in-
deed, it seems with Stocktonites.



With the grass and thistles growing in
her once humming shipyards, a gradual
realization of the full import to the town,
of the absolute extinction of shipbuilding
within her borders, forced itself upon her
inhabitants, as from deterioration, one after
another of her vessels were sold, to be con-
verted into barge or river coaster, and cap-
tains retired, engaged in less remunerative
business, moved away or assumed com-
mand of some of the new large ships (built
and owned elsewhere) engaged in the Pa-
cific or Indian Ocean carrying trade; her
mechanics found employment and subse-
quently settled in other towns or states,
followed by many young men, who had as-
pired to "quarter-deck" positions, in the
prosperous days of the sailing ship. Thus
much of the town's legitimate energy and
wealth-producing element drifted into other
communities, scattered from Maine to Cal-
ifornia. Slowly she lost prestige; yet her
citizens struggled onward — the pessimist



HISTORICAL SKETCH



(such always exist in limited numbers) in
desperation, the optimist in expectation of
better times coming.

The town's imperishable gems — the
wondrous beauty of her location, and un-
usual capacity of her easily accessible har-
bor — remained to enchant the visitor; and
year by year her transient population —
summer guests and boarders — increased;
but the three months of influx and renewed
activity, were soon followed by the lately
habitual quiet and well nigh hibernation
of her residents.

There seemed little hope of revivifica-
tion from incoming business investments,
since capitalists shun those localities desti-
tute of railroad conveniences.

Realizing the town's necessity for rail
communication with the outside centres of
business, Hon. N. G. Hichborn, after
strenuous efforts, (encountering persistent
opposition from the Maine Central railroad,
which determined to frustrate any plans
looking toward any competing line, in the
eastern section of the State) secured a
charter for the Penobscot Bay and River

66



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

railroad in 1869 and after actively opposing
the efforts of the Maine Central railroad to
obtain a charter for a so-called Webb's
Ledge railroad, for four years, before the
Legislature, (a mere dodge, on the part of
the Maine Central road, to prevent capital-
ists from investing in the already chartered
Penobscot Bay and River line) he saw the
organization of the railroad company, and
was himself unanimously elected President
of the fairly launched Penobscot Bay and
River Railroad Co., — the line to extend
from Bangor to Rockland, sixty miles,
and form the connecting link with the
Knox and Lincoln road, between the
European and North American, and the
Boston and Maine lines. In 1873 the
route was surveyed; and in the early
autumn of 1874, (the towns along the pro-
posed line having voted to take stock, and
various individuals having offered contri-
butions) the building was put under con-
tract, with New York capitalists, who
wrote Mr. Hichborn under the date of
November 21st, 1874, "We shall break
ground on the railroad before the New
Year." Alas! The day that Mr. Hich-
67



HISTORICAL SKETCH



born received that letter, he was seized
with the fatal illness, which robbed this
project of its moving force, in its Presi-
dent's death, November 30. Capt. William
McGilvery of Searsport was elected his
successor: but he died in March 1876.
P.J. Carleton of Rockport was elected by
the "Directors," as next President; but
nothing was attempted toward carrying to
completion the early plans; and eventually
the charter lapsed. Stockton mourned
this bitter disappointment, long and sin-
cerely, particularly after the absolute de-
cadence of ship building within her bound-
aries.

The expended money of prosperous years,
held some within established or inherited
homes, and in local trade; but the outlook
for future increase, either numerically or
financially, was not encouraging. Many
of the older citizens shook their heads and
prophesied a deserted village in the future,
while the younger looked about for new
fields of action.

In 1889 through the efforts of a summer
resident, who predicted great growth for
68



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

Stockton as a sanatarium and summer re-
sort, the name of the town was changed by
the lyCgislature to Stockton Springs — a
misnomer, as it then seemed to many, and
now appears to nearly the entire popula-
tion. The boom came not as promised,
the mineral spring water proving non-pay-
ing in the market and the bottling enter-
prise, consequently, short lived, to the dis-
appointment of some financially interested
citizens.

"Things at the worst will cease, or else
climb upward to what they were before."

In December of 1903, a Boston man,
John P. Reynolds, appeared in Stockton
(no native inhabitant uses "Springs" in
conversation) and quietly inspected the
situation of the scenery, — "the rising world
of waters dark and deep" — as viewed from
the eminence, Fletcher Hill, in the rear of the
village, ascertained approximate prices of
shore frontage lots, vaguely hinted at possi-
ble future purchase and returned to his
home. Soon his agents in Stockton —
Messrs. Ames and Merrithew — were, as si-
lently as possible, bonding all the small farms

69



HISTORICAL SKETCH



upon the harbor side of Cape Jellison and
upon the Park shore, for excellent prices,
the bonds holding until April. This ac-
complished, the Boston gentleman re-ap-
peared in town, offering immediate
purchase and payment of all bonded prop-
erty; but requesting local reporters not to
mention his transactions.

When all had been sold to John P. Rey-
nolds, and cash payment made in every
instance, (the sum expended reaching one
hundred and twenty thousand dollars)
people began to wonder at the large sale,
and speculate as to the reasons for such an
outlay.

All the Yankee propensity for "guess-
ing" was exercised to the fullest extent;
and various rumors — rendezvous for New
York yacht club, big summer colony, etc.
— filled the ears of the rather astonished
dwellers upon the territory.

Gradually the idea of an establishment
of a second Bar Harbor, upon the site,
crystalized into a general belief, the vivid-
ly imaginative, beholding in mental pic-
70



OF S TOCKTON SPRINGS

tures, the elegant cottages of the million-
aires adorning the shore lines of the
beautiful land sheltered harbor.

Such a transformation was not a pleasing
contemplation to a large majority of Stock-
tonites.

The independence of the dauntless sail-
or, the suggestiveness of the able business
man and the accuracy of the efficient
mechanic mingle in the blood of these
people. They bend no servile knee. They
face the world bravely, feeling equal to the
mighty task of living — acting well their
separate parts in the great drama of hu-
man existence; but desire no plutocratic
neighbors.

Cicero said: 'T shall always consider
the best guesser the best prophet:" he
would have found but false prophets in
Stockton that year.

Suddenly it was announced that John P.
Reynolds was an agent for a Maine corpor-
ation, in the buying of lands in town; that
a railroad, a continuation of the remark-
ably profitable Bangor & Aroostook line,

71



HISTORICAL SKETCH



was the object in view, in the purchase of
Stockton and Searsport real estate; that a
charter was to be asked for at once, and
Stockton made a large terminal, with great
piers for the accommodation of incoming
and outgoing foreign and domestic trade.
This was a surprise indeed! None could
fully comprehend the gigantic scheme.
"Ye immortal gods! where in the world
are we?" was the unexpressed feeling of
men, women and children. All this with-
out any expense to town or individual!
Where could similar good fortune be
found?

In the summer, a delay in obtaining the
charter prevented any forward movement
in the promised survey: and the doubting
said: "I told you so! There will never
be a railroad through this town in our
time." But, happily for vStockton, almost
as soon as these opinions were ventilated,
came the message from headquarters, that
the hearing of the petition from the B. &
A. for a charter to build a railroad from
LfO. Grange to Stockton Springs would
take place Nov. 9th, 1904, at Bangor,
72



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

The railroad commissioners voted unani-
mously in favor of granting said petition;
and Dec. 15th, the chief engineer of the
B. & A., Mr. Moses Burpee, arrived in
town to inspect the harbor facilities and
select pier sites.

In January, President Cram of the B. &
A., with twenty associates, bought Sears
Island; and the report circulated that all
works, intended for Cape Jellison, would
be located on the Island instead. How-
ever, on January 30th, actual labor began
on the wharf on the Cape, the first crew of
workmen being augmented as fast as
boarding houses could be supplied. Feb-
ruary 1 2th, an ice breaker arrived
(the winter being exceptionally cold) to
cut the passage necessary to land-
ing materials needed in the construc-
tion of the piers. On February 23rd, 1905,
the first pile was driven into the mud bot-
tom of the waters, washing the west side of
Cape Jellison, and the future assured!

Soon the Italian gangs began to work
on the road-bed, blasting the frozen earth
with dynamite, day after day. With ad-

n



HISTORICAL SKETCH



vancing spring, more and more of the
little dark-skinned laborers arrived in
town, their chattering about^ the village
streets and at Sandy Point, sounding odd
enough to young American ears, although
familiar to our older generation of sea
captains.

The last of February, the second floor of
Capt. M. H. Colcord's building, on East
Main street, was leased by Chief Engineer,
Moses Burpee, and early in March his corps
of assistants arrived to commence the sum-
mer's work of draughting, formulating de-
signs, etc.

Eate in the same month the big steam
shovel was beginning operations on Cape
Jellison; and, on the historic April 19th,
the first locomotive to stand on Stockton
soil, was run from the deck of the steamer
Reliance, under its own steam, onto the
section of the wharf, alread}^ completed.
Eater another engine arrived to haul the
construction train along the advancing
track.

May 3d, the first cargo of heavy steel
rails arrived at the "railroad wharf."

74



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS

All the summer and autumn work was
pushed rapidly forward. In November,
1905, the Northern Maine Seaport R. R.
opened for passenger traffic and general
business; and Mr. G. M. Houghton of
Bangor was located in town, as the General
Manager of the railroad and its manifold
interests. He remained until December
31st, 1906, when he was called to become
the General Passenger Traffic Manager of
the Bangor & Aroostook railroad with
office in Bangor; and was succeeded, in
Stockton, by Mr. Charles Calkin of Port-
land, wdio still conducts the business affairs
of the various railroad matters.

Cape Jellison has mammoth piers.
The long sixteen-hundred foot wharf and
another fifteen hundred, and a third eleven
hundred feet in length are completed. An
artesian well (one hundred and fifty-eight
feet in depth) furnishing all needed water
for engines, etc., has been drilled, aside
from cutting through Speed's point, level-
ing road bed to Bran's point, and to the
mill pond, on the Cape side.

On the village side of the mill bridge
75



HISTORICAL SKETCH



work in grading the track bed went stead-
ily forward. The "Y" is in the Panno
field. An artesian well has been bored,
north of the Panno residence, for providing
water for filling the big tank constructed
there.

In the Denslow (formerly Dickey) field,
thirty acres have been purchased by the
railroad corporation, and there a yard,
containing six sidetracks, has been com-
pleted.

In the village a cut, twelve feet deep,
across Middle street, and into the adjac-
ent banks, has been made; and the em-
bankment, through and over shipyard hol-
low, has changed the appearance of that
locality greatl}^. Beyond School street
the Gilmore guUeys have been partially
filled and the balance bridged.

The question of the locality of the depot
— long undecided — was settled June 14,
by the announcement that this village con-
venience would be upon the land of Capt.
Melvin K. Colcord, to be accommodated
by a road which said gentleman had re-
cently had surveyed through to the shore

76




(1) Piers No. 1 and 2. KiOO and 1500 feet long.
(3) Potato Wharf and Conveyor, Cape Jellison.
Wharf 1100 feet long.



(2) Showing Lumber Business on Cape Jellison Piers.
(!) Sb.ipi>ing in the Docks at Stockton, Cape Jellison.
(5) Paper House, Cape Jellison Pier.



Photographs by H. D. Hichborn



OF STOCKTON SPRINGS



— a continuation of the short street, ex-
tending from East Main street only to the
S. H. West place. That street has
been named Railroad Avenue. Cutting
that new street at right angles, another
runs through to Mill street, from
the station site. Two others have been
opened through from School street to Rail-
road Ave . This energetic and public-spirit-
ed citizen, Capt. Colcord, being determined
to help the good work along, and provide


1 3 5

Online LibraryFaustina HichbornHistorical sketch of Stockton Springs → online text (page 3 of 5)