Copyright
Fernandez C. Holliday.

Indiana Methodism : being an account of the introduction, progress, and present position of Methodism in the State; and also a history of the literary institutions under the care of the church, with s online

. (page 21 of 27)
Online LibraryFernandez C. HollidayIndiana Methodism : being an account of the introduction, progress, and present position of Methodism in the State; and also a history of the literary institutions under the care of the church, with s → online text (page 21 of 27)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ber of that bod}^, as also of the Illinois Conference
while it included the work in Indiana. During his long
ministry he was several times placed either on the super-
numerary or superannuated list, but, with returning
health, was always found in the active itinerant ranks.
He was for many years secretary of his Conference. He
was an early and zealous friend of learning, and was one
of the founders of Indiana Asbury University. He was
a superior preacher, and one of the honored fathers
of Indiana Methodism.

REV. ALLEN WILEY.

Allen Wiley entered the ministry in 1818, in the
old Ohio Conference, but Indiana was the theater of his
ministerial labors; and from 1818, down to 1848, the
time of his death, he was closely identified with the in-
terests of the Church in Indiana ; and he, perhaps more
than any other one man, molded the character of Indiana
Methodism. He looked more to the future than most
of his associates, and he organized and planned and
worked for the future. His literary attainments were
remarkable for the times in which he lived. He was a
good Latin and Greek scholar, and every-where recog-
nized as a profound theologian. As a minister, his ser-
mons, while presiding elder, made a profound impression.
They were usually lengthy; seldom, on the Sabbath,
less than an hour and a half in length, but always list-
ened to with interest. He was one of the projectors of
Indiana Asbury University, and early saw the necessity
for denominational schools. He was a remarkable stu-
dent, and retained his habits of study to the close
of life.



INDIANA METHODISM. 275



REV. AUGUSTUS EDDY,

Augustus Eddy was licensed to preach in 1821, near
Xenia, Ohio. He was admitted on trial in the old Ohio
Conference, at its session in Zanesville in 1824; and
here commenced that grand itinerant career which con-
tinued to the close of life, without a blot upon his char-
acter. His first appointment was to the old Miami
Circuit. He continued to travel large circuits until
1831, when he was appointed presiding elder of the
Scioto District, where he was continued two years. He
then traveled two years on the Columbus District. In
1835, he was stationed in Cincinnati, western charge,
with Christie and Hamline as co-laborers. In 1836, he
was transferred to Indiana Conference, and stationed in
Indianapolis. His next appointment was Indianapolis
District; then Whitewater District. He was next sta-
tioned at Wesley Chapel, Madison ; then presiding elder
of Madison District ; and from Madison District he was
appointed in charge of Lawrenceburg District. In 1848,
he was transferred to the Ohio Conference, and stationed
at Chillicothe. He was successively stationed at Ham-
ilton and Xenia, and was then appointed presiding elder
on West Cincinnati District. In 1855, he was trans-
ferred to North Indiana Conference, and stationed in
Richmond. His next appointment was Indianapolis Dis-
trict, where he remained four years. He was then
stationed at Kokomo, but a vacancy occurring on the
Richmond District, he was appointed in charge of it,
and served until the middle of the ensuing August,
when he was appointed post-chaplain in the United
States Army at Indianapolis, which position he con-
tinued to fill for about four years. He was then returned
to the Richmond District, where he labored for three



276 INDIANA METHODISM.

years. He was then appointed presiding elder on An-
derson District, where he continued to labor until smit-
ten down with disease. He closed his active work at
Greenfield, where he held his last quarterly-meeting,
January 15 and 16, 1870. His disease was malignant
erysipelas, which terminated fatally on the 9th of Feb-
ruary, 1870. He was permitted to die at home, sur-
rounded by his children and friends, in full possession
of his mental faculties, and in the triumphs of Christian
faith. Mr. Eddy was an instructive and entertaining
preacher ; his social qualities were fine ; he was happy
at home, and dehghted in the society of his friends. He
was three times elected to a seat in the General Confer-
ence. His life was grand and heroic. In the vigor of
early manhood he buckled on the Gospel armor, and he
never laid it off. His manly voice was a trumpet-blast
that gave no uncertain sound; and when his Captain
called he was at the post of duty, ready to obey the
summons. The workman is removed, but his work
remains.



INDIANA METHODISM. 277



CHAPTER XY.

Methodist Educators— Rev. W. H. Goode, D. D.— Rev. Cyrus Nutt,
D.D.— Rev. W. C. Larrabee, LL. D.— Dr. Tefft— Rev. T. H. Lynch,
D. D.— Rev. John Wheeler, D. D.— Rev. T. A. Goodwin, A. M.—
Rev. Philander Wiley, A. M.— Dr. Benson— Rev. William M. Daily,
D. D.— George W. Hoss, A. M.— B. T. Hoyt, A. M.— Prof. Joseph
Tingley, Ph. D.— Prof. S. A. Lattimore— Rev. Daniel Curry, D. D.—
Dr. Nadal— Dr. Bragdon— Rev. B. F. Rawlins, D. D.— Albin Fel-
lows, A. M.— J. P. Rouse, A. M.— Rev. B. W. Smith, A. M.— Rev.
W. R. Goodwin, A. M.— Rev. O. H. Smith, A. M.— William H.
De Motte, A. M.— Rev. Thomas Harrison, A. M.— Rev. J. P. D.
John, A. M.— Rev. John W. Locke, D. D.— J. M. Olcott, A. M.—
Rev. J. H. Martin, A. M.— Rev. L. W. Berry, D. D.— Rev. Thomas
Bowman, D. D.— Rev. Erastus Rowley, D. D.— Rev. G. W. Rice-
Rev. A Gurney— Rev. R. D. Utter.

Methodist Educators,
rev. william h. goode, d. d.,

HAS the honor of being the pioneer Methodist educa-
tor in Indiana, so far as an official appointment by
the Church is concerned. In May, 1837, while travel-
ing Lexington Circuit, within the bounds of the New Al-
bany District, he Avas elected Principal of the New Al-
ban}^ Seminary, upon the resignation of Philander Ruter,
A. M. Rev. C. W. Ruter, Presiding Elder of New Al-
bany District, who was also chairman of the Board of
Trustees of the Seminary, released Mr. Goode from his
circuit, and he took immediate charge of the Seminary.
At the ensuing Conference, which convened in New Al-
bany in the Fall of the same year, Mr. Groode was ap-
pointed to the charge of the Seminary, and at the same



278 INDIANA METHODISM.

time laboring jointly in the pulpit with the pastor of
New Albany Station.

Mr. Goode rendered efficient service both as a teacher
and an administrator, while he remained in the institu-
tion, but feeling himself called to the pastoral work, be-
fore the next session of the Conference, he resigned the
charge of the Seminary, and George Harrison, A. M.,
was elected in his place.

About the commencement of the year 1854, while
pastor of Richmond Station, Mr. Goode was elected to
the presidency of the branch of Whitewater College lo-
cated in that place. He consented to this, simply for the
purpose of winding up the affairs of the department, and
saving the institution from embarrassment. His serv-
ices were not only financially valuable, but also of serv-
ice to both teachers and scholars. Having wound up
the affairs of the College in accordance with his designs,
his presidency expired with the expiration of the College.

INDIAN WORK IN THE SOUTH-WEST.

March 15, 1843, at Mr. Goode's residence in South
Bend, being then in charge of the district embracing all
the north end of Indiana, he received, under the hands
of Bishops Soule and Morris, an appointment to the super-
intendency of the Fort Coffee Academy, an institution
about to be established among the Choctaw Indians, in
the tract of country to which they had been removed,
lying west of the state of Arkans'as, and still known as
the " Indian Territory." This institution had been pro-
vided for by an act of the General Council of the Choc-
taw Nation, appropriating from their annuity fund six
thousand dollars a year, for a term- of twenty years.
This act had received the sanction of the proper depart-
ment at Washington. By concurrence of the Council



INDIANA METHODISM. 279

and the Government authorities the entire control and
management of the institution were committed to the
Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
the society adding one thousand dollars per annum to the
endowment. Male and female departments were sepa-
rately provided for. The organization of the institution,
with the entire control of its funds, was placed in Mr.
Goode's hands, subject always to open inspection of his
books and accounts by the authorities of the Choctaw
Nation, and to annual examination by a committee of the
Conference. With this, also, he had a missionary charge
among the Indians.

Rev. H. C. Benson was transferred from Indiana Con-
ference to take the place of principal teacher. Rev.
John Page, of Arkansas Conference, an educated Choc-
taw, was Mr. Goode's assistant in labors among the na-
tives. Other assistance was obtained as needed, from
sources outside of the Conference. On receiving his ap-
pointment, Mr. Goode went immediately to the Indian
country. The site fixed for the male department was
that of " Old Fort Coffee," vacated by the United States
Government some four years previous, and then held by
an Indian claim. It was a beautiful and commanding
site, upon a high bluff of the' Arkansas River, thirty
miles above the state line. He took possession of the
premises, bought out the Indian claim, remodeled some
of the fort buildings, removed others and rebuilt in their
places, and enlarged the farm-lands attached. Rev. H. C.
Benson came on in a few months, and in the Autumn of
that year the male department was opened. It was a
manual-labor institution. The pupils selected by the
General Council were boarded, clothed, and instructed in
labor as well as in literary studies. The work prospered
under Mr. Goode's hands, and among its first students



280 INDIANA METHODISM.

were those that have risen to places of prominence and
usefulness among their people. As soon as the state of
the finances would permit, buildings were placed under
contract for the female department at New Hope, five
miles distant from Fort Coffee, which were completed
and occupied after Mr. Goode's return to Indiana. Mr.
Goode had been transferred to Arkansas Conference, of
which the Indian work was then an appendage. In
1844, he aided in the formation of the Indian Mission
Conference at Tah-le-qua, in Cherokee Nation, serving as
its first secretary. His connection with that work and
with the South terminated with the Louisville Conven-
tion in 1845. Having been elected to that Convention,
he declined a seat, but attended its sessions as a specta-
tor till separation was determined upon. At this point
he resigned his work, aud received a transfer back to
North Indiana Conference, with an appointment to Peru
District, then just vacated by the death of Rev. B.
Westlake. And so terminated Mr. Goode's work in the
South. The institution passed into the hands of the
Methodist Episcopal Church South, and lingered on till
near the expiration of the twenty years' term, when it
expired in the confusion of the Rebellion.

KANSAS AND NEBRASKA WORK.

Mr. Goode was appointed, in 1854, to the superin-
tendency of missions in Kansas and Nebraska, which
were designed mainly for the white settlers, but em-
braced labors among the Wyandots, Delawares, Shaw-
nees, Kickapoos, and other Indian tribes resident in the
country. No strictly literary work was under his con-
trol at that time. The Church South had possession
of our formerly flourishing institutions among the Shaw-
nees, which had been built by Mr. Goode's labors. His



INDIANA METHODISM. 281

labors among the Indians were interesting, and in a good
degree successful. He entered the field single-handed
and alone. Transferred to Missouri Conference ; stayed
long enough to lay the foundation of three annual con-
ferences, and to see about one hundred ministers at
work. He organized Kansas and Nebraska Conference
in 1855, holding its first session in a cloth tent at Law-
rence ; formed Nebraska Conference in 1860; Colorado,
in 1864. While there, served four years as a member
of the General Mission Committee. Few men have
made a more valuable or a more enduring impression
upon the interests of the Church than Dr. Goode.

REV. CYRUS NUTT, D. D.

The first meeting of the trustees of Indiana As bury
University was held in March, 1837; at which time Mr.
Nutt was elected preceptor of the Preparatory Depart-
ment, and arrangements were made to have that depart-
ment opened at an early day. It required seven or
eight days at that time to make the trip from Meadville,
where Mr. Nutt then resided, to Greencastle, by the
most speedy mode of travel, which was by stage and
steam-boat. Mr. Nutt left Meadville about the 7th of
May, and traveled by stage to Pittsburg, and thence by
steam-boat to Cincinnati, and thence by stage to Green-
castle, where he arrived on the sixteenth of the same
month — having walked, however, from Putnamville to
Greencastle, as there was no public conveyance from the
outside world to Greencastle at that day. Mr. Nutt was
born in Trumbull County, Ohio, September 4, 1814. His
early educational opportunities were necessarily limited
in so new a country. His parents were educated people,
and he was taught reading, writing, arithmetic, geog-
raphy, and grammar, at home, during such leisure hours



282 INDIANA METHODISM.

as could be redeemed from manual labor. He, however,
attended the country school in his neighborhood, when
in session, which was about three months in the year.
Such was young Nutt's desire for a liberal education
that he improved every opportunity for the acquisition
of learning ; and when, at the age of eighteen, his f ither
proposed to deed him a piece of land, in consideration
of his faithful labors on the farm, he told him he would
rather have a good education than any property. His
father at first spoke discouragingly, but finally agreed
to give him his time, and let him get an education by
working his own way. He went immediatel}^ to an
academy to prepare himself for college ; and in four
years from that time he graduated at Alleghany Col-
lege, Meadville, Pennsylvania, having supported him-
self by teaching during the Winters, and at the same
time keeping up his college studies. He graduated in
1836, and was immediately appointed preceptor of the
Preparatory Department in the same institution ; which
position he filled for six months, when he was elected to
the charge of the Preparatory Department of Indiana
Asbury University, which had just been chartered by
the Legislature of Indiana. Mr. Nutt was converted at
a camp-meeting when in his twentieth year. He was
appointed to the charge of a class of young men, as
class-leader, while in college. He was licensed to ex-
hort, and then to preach ; and he preached his first
sermon not long after his arrival in Greencastle.

He entered upon his duties at Greencastle on the
5th of June, 1837, commencing the Preparatory Depart-
ment in a small one-story brick building, with only two
rooms ; the larger of which was occupied by the town
school. The smaller room was then the only place
accessible ; and there Dr. Nutt began the literary




-„7.»3-'/^




INDIANA METHODISM. 283

instruction of this since renowned University of the West.
At the meeting of the Board of Trustees in September
of the same year, Mr. Nutt was elected Professor of
Languages. In 1841, he was elected Professor of Greek
and Greek Literature and Hebrew, which he held until
the Fall of 1843, when he resigned and took pastoral
work in Indiana Conference, and was appointed to
Bloomington Station. He had been admitted into the
Conference at its session in Rockville in 1838, and or-
dained deacon by Bishop Soule at Indianapolis in 1840,
and elder by Bishop Morris at the Conference in Center-
ville in 1842. He remained in charge of Bloomington
Station two years, and the year following was stationed
at Salem. His ministry was eminently successful in
each of these charges. In the Fall of 1848, he returned
to the University; having been elected to the Chair of
Greek Language and Literature, made vacant by the re-
signation of Professor B. F. TefFt, who took charge of
the Ladies Repositori/, at Cincinnati. In 1849, Dr. Nutt
was elected President of Fort Wayne Female College,
which he accepted and held for one year, when he
resigned and accepted the Presidency of Whitewater
College, which had been tendered him by the trustees
of that institution, the climate of Northern Indiana not
agreeing with Mrs. Nutt, who was a native of Ken-
tucky. He entered upon the duties of the Presidency
of the Whitewater College at Centerville, Indiana, in
the Fall of 1850. The school flourished under his ad-
ministration, and the number of students increased from
one hundred and forty to more than three hundred.
During the whole of this time he held the position either
of trustee or Conference Visitor to Indiana Asbury Uni-
versity, and took a lively interest in all the affairs of
the Church He remained five years at the head of



284 INDIANA METHODISM.

Whitewater College, when he resigned to again enter
upon the active work of the ministry; and at the ses-
sion of the North Indiana Conference in Goshen, in 1855,
he was appointed presiding elder on Richmond District,
where he remained two years ; during which an almost
constant revival was in progress nearly all over his
district.

In the Fall of 1857, he was elected to the Chair of
Mathematics in Indiana Asbury University. He was
elected Vice-President of the Faculty. Hon. David
M'Donald, who had been elected to the Presidency of the
University, having declined to accept, the charge of the
administration of the University devolved upon Dr.
Nutt for nearly two years, during one of the most critical
and important periods in its history, until Rev. Thomas
Bowman, D. D., took charge of the institution, in the
Spring of 1859.

The University was conducted with great skill and
success by Dr. Nutt and his associates, and fully re-
covered from the disaster that had unfortunately over-
taken it in 1856-57. In 1859, he received the degree
of Doctor of Divinity from his Alma Mater, Alleghany
College, and from which he had received, in due course,
the degree of A. M. in 1839. In 1860, he was a dele-
gate to the General Conference, from North Indiana Con-
ference, leading his delegation, and served in that mem-
orable session as a member of the Committee on the
Episcopacy, and also on the Committees on Education,
Judiciary, and Lay Delegation, and proved himself an
industrious and useful delegate. In 1860, Dr. Nutt was
elected President of the Indiana State University at
Bloomington, which position he still holds (1871) ; and
under his prudent and skillful management the State
University has greatly prospered. The annual income



INDIANA METHODISM. 285

has increased from six thousand five hundred dollars to
twenty-five thousand dollars. The Faculty numbers
thirteen, and the students have increased from about one
hundred to more than three hundred, all of whom are in
the regular College Classes and the Law Department, the
Preparatory Department having been abolished in 1867.
Four thousand five hundred volumes have been added to
the library, and the philosophical and chemical apparatus
has been greatly enlarged.

The State University has prospered beyond precedent
since Dr. Nutt has been at the head of its affairs. Dr.
Nutt was elected President of Iowa State University in
1842, but declined to accept. He was a member of the
State Convention in 1854, Avhich organized the State
Teachers' Association, and established the Indiana School
JournaL Both as a minister of the Gospel and as an ed-
ucator. Dr. Nutt has been eminently successful, and will
leave upon the generation that comes after him an abid-
ing impression for good.

REV. W. C. LARRABEE, LL. D.

Professor Larrabee \vas a pioneer teacher in the
Methodist Church. An academy at New Market, New
Hampshire, afterward transferred to Wilbraham, Massa-
chusetts, and the institution in New York City under the
charge of Dr. Bangs, were the most prominent Method-
ist schools in operation when he began to teach. Au-
gusta College, in Kentucky, and a few academies, were
just beginning to get under way. Besides those engaged
in these schools, the other early teachers in the Method-
ist Church were his contemporaries, or came after him.
When he commenced, the great system of education
which the Church has built in America was only dreamed
of. The workmen were laying the foundations, all



286 INDIANA METHODISM.

unconscious of the magnitude of the fabric which was to
be built thereon. When his work is measured, it will be
found to have been second in importance to that of few,
if any, educators of his generation.

Mr. Larrabee was born at Cape Elizabeth, in Maine,
a few miles from the city of Portland, December 23,
1802. His early opportunities for acquiring an education
were limited. The story of his heroic struggles to ac-
quire an education is instructive, but can not be here re-
lated. Acting upon the advice of judicious friends, he
resolved to acquire a liberal education. He entered the
Sophomore Class in Bowdoin College at the commence-
ment of 1825. He taught during vacation. During two
terms of his Junior, and also his Senior Year, he labored
as assistant in the Maine Wesleyan Seminary, at Kent's
Hill. He graduated in 1828, second in a class of twenty.
Immediately after graduation he was, upon the recom-
mendation of Professor Upham, called to the charge of a
newly established academy at Alfred. Here he spent
two years happily and prosperously. When the Wes-
leyan University at Middletown was opened, he was ap-
pointed tutor, and the actual teacher of the school, under
the direction of Dr. Fisk, who was not yet ready to take
personal charge of the institution. There were five or
six Freshmen, and some twenty Preparatory, in his
class. This was the beginning of the Wesleyan Univer-
sity. The following year, Mr. Larrabee was elected
Principal of the Oneida Conference Seminary at Cazeno-
via. New York.

In 1835, Professor Caldwell having resigned the
Principalship of the Maine Wesleyan Seminary, to accept
a professorship in Dickinson College, Mr. Larrabee ac-
cepted the charge of that institution, and while engaged
in that institution, he assisted Dr. Jackson in the first



INDIANA METHODISM. 287

geological survey of the state. Mr. Larrabee was a dele-
gate to the General Conference of 1840, which met in
the city of Baltimore. Here he met Dr. Simpson, then
President of Indiana Asbury University, E. R. Ames,
and other Indiana delegates, who, among other things,
were looking for a professor for the new university in In-
diana. The result of this acquaintance was, that at the
ensuing meeting of the Board of Trustees he was elected
Professor of Mathematics and Natural Science in Indiana
Ashury University. He accepted the position, and re-
moved to Indiana in 1841. Dr. Simpson retired from
the University in 1848, having been elected editor of the
Western Christian Advocate, at Cincinnati. Rev. E. R.
Ames was elected to the Presidency of the Univer-
sity, but declined ; and for one year the duties of the
Presidency devolved on Professor Larrabee, in addition
to the regular duties of his Chair.

While professor in Asbury University, Mr. Larrabee
visited West Point Military Academy as a member of
the Examining Committee.

In 1852, Mr. Larrabee was elected editor of the Za-
dies Repository. He declined accepting the position, hav-
ing been nominated for Superintendent of Public Instruc-
tion for the State of Indiana; but he discharged the
duties of editor of the Repository for six months. Pro-
fessor Larrabee was elected Superintendent of Public
Instruction, and was the first the State ever had. Here,
as in many other departments, his work w\as that of a
pioneer. He entered upon the duties of his office, No-
vember, 1852. The few public schools that were in the
state were poorly organized. They had to be reduced to
system, and in accomplishing this, Mr. Larrabee had to
encounter a large amount of popular prejudice. But he
was enthusiastic in his work, and felt that he had a mis-



288 INDIANA METHODISM.

sion to fulfilhin the department of education, and was
glad of an opportunity of shaping the educational policy
of the State. He had taken a deep interest in the de-
bates on common schools, in the Constitutional Conven-
tion. He had watched the progress of the School Law of
1852 through the Legislature, and had aided in shaping
it. He believed if the law were carried out according to
its intent, that it would give the state an educational sys-


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23 24 25 26 27

Online LibraryFernandez C. HollidayIndiana Methodism : being an account of the introduction, progress, and present position of Methodism in the State; and also a history of the literary institutions under the care of the church, with s → online text (page 21 of 27)