Copyright
firm Chapman.

Portrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 108 of 154)
Online Libraryfirm ChapmanPortrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 108 of 154)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


there bred to the life of a farmer. After becoming
a man he migi-ated to Ohio, and married Mary
Tucker, a native of Vermont, her ancestors also be-
ing early settlers of the New England Stiites. This
couple, after marriage, spent their entire wedded



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



821 ih



life in Portage County, settling there in 1818, and
by hard labor won a comfortable home for them-
selves and their children, and by leading honorable
lives gained the respect of those about them. The
father died in 1864, and the mother in 1872. Of
their marriage nine children had been born, namely :
Edwin, of Palmyra, Ohio, a real-estate dealer;
Bingley, deceased ; Henrietta, wife of Charles Wil-
son, of Warren, Ohio; Melinda, wife of M. D. Love-
less, of Warren, Ohio; Lucinda, deceased, was the
wife of William Breeze, of Cleveland, Ohio; Luther
A.; John, with the Rocli Island Railway Company,
lives in Wichita; Francis, deceased; Urana, wife of
William Kirlcpatrick, of Warren, Ohio.

Our subject was educated in the common schools
and in the High School at Warren, Ohio, his Prin-
cipals being at the time of his attendance there
Gen. J. D. Cox and M. D. Leggett. At the age of
sixteen he left the farm and learned the trade of
carriage-maker, serving an apprenticeship of three
years. Afterward he acquired a knowledge of car-
pentering, and pursued that calling for some years.
In 1856 he went to LaSalle County, 111., and was
there engaged in carpentering the ensuing four
years. He then turned his attention to the general
mercantile trade, at Tonica, in the same county.

In 1862 Mr. Wilson threw aside his business to
take part in the war, enlisting in Company D, 104th
Illinois Infantry, serving in the Commissary De-
partment, and then was appointed as Second Lieu-
tenant of Battery D, 1st Tennessee Light Artillery,
which rank he held till the close of the war. He
took part in the battle of Nashville, and many
minor engagements, serving his country with
bravery and distinction. After his retirement from
the army he returned to Tonica, where he obtained
employment as Station Agent on the Illinois Central
Railway, and also held the office of Postmaster for
that town, retaining that position for thirteen years.
In 1876 he came to Kansas to look for a favor-
able location, as he wished to take up his residence
in this State, and in 1878 removed with his family
to Lincoln Township, Sedgwick County, where he
bought a farm and became prominently identified
with the agricultural interests of that township.
Soon his shrewdness and capability were recognized
by his fellow-townsmen, and he was chosen to till



various township offices during his residence there.
In 1884 Mr. Wilson was elected County Commis-
sioner, and has since made his home in Wichita. He
discharged the duties of that office with great honor
to himself and to the general satisfaction of those
whose votes had placed him in that important posi-
tion. During his term of office he also represented
the company with which he is now connected.

While living in Illinois our subject was married,
in 1859, to Miss Augusta M. Allen, daughter of
Harvey Alleu. She was, like himself, a native of
Ohio, Trumbull County being the place of her birth.
She is a sincere member of the Christian Church,
and a zealous worker for the cause it represents.
Of this union seven children have been born :
Ella A.; Hettie, wife of James W. Tear; William,
Frank, Kittie, Marj^ and Eva.

Mr. Wilson has been a member of the I. O. O. F.
since 1865, has passed all the Chairs in the lodge,
both subordinate and Encampment, and he also be-
longs to the G. A. R. He takes an active part in
politics, and is a worthy representative of tlie Re-
publican party.



^^ LARK J. DEMING became a resident of
((( n ^6f'g'*^''ck County in 1878, and since that
^^^' time he has given his attention principally
to farming, although at present he is engaged as a
dealer in coal and stone at Colwich. He has ac-
cumulated his property since coming to Kansas,
being now numbered among the wealthy citizens
of this State. He was born in Saratoga County,
N. Y., April 23, 1851.

John G. Deming, the father of our subject, was
a native of Dutchess County, N. Y., and was a
farmer by occupation. He married Sally M. Rock-
well, also a native of that State. She died when
our subject was but six days old, leaving four chil-
dren — Edgar L., Orville, Melvina and Clark J.
Edgar resides in Northville, N. Y., and is engaged
in the mercantile business ; Orville is a farmer in
Gage County, Neb. ; Melvina is the wife of Enos
Murphy, a lumberman of Saratoga County, N. Y.
After the death of his first wife Mr. Deming mar-



■^-



i^^Ht-



822



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



vied Miss Mary Hendricks, a native of New York,
and in ISO*! migrated with his family to DeKalb
County, 111. He was there snccessfuUy engaged in
his vocation for several years, until his death in
1885. By his second marriage he became the
father of six children.

The subject of this sketch passed most of his
boyhood in his native State, being fifteen years old
when he removed from there with his parents to
Illinois. At the age of seventeen he left home to
make his own way in the world, working as a farm
hand in the summer seasons, and completing his
education by attendance at the winter schools. One
summer he had an experience of life and work in
the lumber regions of Wisconsin. After complet-
ing his education he taught school one term. He
then decided to turn his face westward, and on
the fertile prairies of Kansas turn his attention to
the life of a farmer, to which occupation he had
been bred. Accordingly, in January, 1878, he jour-
neyed hither and purchased, with another man, a
half-interest on 160 acres of land in Union Town-
ship. Tliis proved to be a profitable investment,
as it was very finely situated, was well watered,
and had a deep alluvial soil, capable of producing
large crops. He worked with persistent energy,
and by his skillful cultivation of the soil produced
the best results, and in a few years had made con-
siderable money, so that he was enabled to add to
his original purchase, and is novv the sole owner
of 240 acres of valuable farming land, all imjjroved.
In the spring of 1887 he took advantage of a fine
opening to establish himself in the coal and stone
trade in Colwieh, and by his energy and wise man-
agement he has already placed this enterprise on a
firm footing, and is doing a fine business.

The marriage of Mr. Deming with Miss Katie
Nicholson took place in DeKalb County, 111., Feb.
24, 1875. To her energetic and hearty co-opera-
tion he is greatly indebted for their pleasant home.
.She was born in Lockport, N. Y., and is the
daughter of David and Mary Nicholson, natives
respectively of New York State and St. John, New
Brunswick. At some period of their married life
they settled in DeKalb County, 111., and there the
father died. He was a millwright b3' trade. The
mother is now living in Wichita, Kan. Of the



union of Mr. and Mrs. Deming three children have
been born — Mabel, Winnie and Flossie.

Our subject is a firm Republican in his political
views. He is an influential citizen, and takes an
earnest interest in public .iffairs, and by his honest
and efficient discharge of the duties devolving
upon him as Justice of the Peace and of the vari-
I ous other local oflices of which he has been an in-
cumbent, has gained the respect and confidence
of his fellowmen. He is connected with the Mt.
Hope Lodge No 230, Mt. Hope, Kan.

'^^- — €-^-#- ^

ELMORE SHANK, a gentleman although
young in years, is one of the most ener-
/ getic and enterprising agriculturists of Grant
Township, where he operates a good farm on sec-
tion 22, and is also engaged quite extensively in
stock-raising. He was born in Sangamon County,
111., July 12, 1862, and is the third son in a family
of four children, the offspring of Jackson and
Rebecca (Johnson) Shank, also natives of Illinois.
To that State his paternal grandfather, a native of
Pennsylvania, migrated at an early day, and located
in Sangamon County, where he was one of the
earliest pioneers.

Upon the mother's side Erastus and Rachel John-
son, natives of AVisconsin, came to Kansas in 1870,
settling in Sedgwick County. They are still living,
and residents of Augusta. Jackson Shank followed
farming pursuits all his life, inaugurating his labors
in Illinois, whence he removed .across the Missis-
sippi in 1871, and settled first in Minneha Town-
ship, on the eastern line of this county. There he
purchased 160 acres of Government land, while the
mother pre-empted eighty acres. This Mr. Shank
improved and sold five j'ears ago, subsequently
taking up his residence at Andover. From there,
in 1884, he removed to the city of Wichita, where
he is now engaged in a flourishing real-estate busi-
ness.

The subject of this sketch was reared to man-
hood in Sangamon County, 111., making his home
mostly with an uncle, and received his education in
the district school. There also he was married,
Jan. 26, 1886, to Miss Katie Hughes, who was born



Hh-^



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



823 '^



in Muskingum County, Ohio, Jan. 14, 1868, and
was the fourth in a family of seven children. Her
parents, Isaiah and Anp:eline (Simms) Hughes,
were natives of Ohio, and her grandparents on botli
sides of the house, Caleb and Mary Hughes, and
James and Lucy Simms, were natives of Virginia.
Grandfather and Grandmother Simms lived near
the city of Springfield, in Sangamon County, III.

Mr. Shanii after his marriage continued fanning
a year in Illinois, and then coming to this county
purchased a quarter of section 22, in Grant Town-
ship, which had been considerably improved, and
to the value of which he is constantly adding by
the exercise of his natiu-al industry and good judg-
ment. The farm stock includes some high-grade
cattle, Clydesdale horses, and Berkshire and Poland-
China hogs, the proceeds of which yield a handsome
income annually.

Mr. Shank, in giving his close attention to his
farming interests, has had little time to devote to
political matters, but has studied the matter suffi-
ciently to determine that the principles of the Re-
publican party more nearly coincide with his views
than those of an^' other, and accordingly gives to
this his uniform support. The homestead is pleas- .
antly located about two miles from the village of
Valley Center, and the little household has been
brightened by the birth of a boy, Richard Wallace,
who was born Nov. 1, 1886, and is now (1888) con-
sequently over one year old. Mr. and Mrs. Shank
have started out in life under favorable auspices,
blessed with a fair share of this world's goods and
hosts of friends, who bespeak for them a prosperous
future.

JANIEL J. TANGNEY, a real-estate dealer
j and capitalist of Wichita, in the prosecu-
tion of his business has done mucli toward
tlie building up of the city, to which he
came in July, 1883. He first engaged in the
grocery trade on Douglas avenue, but nine months
later sold out and established his present business,
in which he has been uniformly successful.

Our subject vv.as born in County Kerry, Ireland,
and was brought bj' his parents, John and Eleanor
(O'Connell) Tangney, to America when a small



boy. Tliey located in Canada, where the father
carried on farming until his death, which occurred
in 1855. The mother is living and a resident of
the Dominion. In Ireland John Tangney lived as
a tenant on the Auamore farm. The mother of
our subject is a descendant of the world-renowned
Daniel O'Connell, and of her marriage with John
Tangney there were born eleven children, of whom
six only are living. These are: Patrick, of Can-
ada; Hannah, Mrs. Murphy, who lives in Canada;
John, Michael, Jeremiah, Thomas and Daniel J.

Our subject received a common-school educa-
tion, which was begun in his native county in
Ireland and completed in the Dominion of Canada.
He continued at the homestead with liis parents
until reaching manhood, then started out for him-
self, operating first as "mine host" of a hotel at
Fergus, Canada. He also became proprietor of a
stage line in the county of Wellington, where he
remained four years. In 1867 he made his way to
Lawrence County, Mo., where he commenced oper-
ating as a contractor to furnish men and material
in the building of the St. Louis & San Francisco
Railroad. He gave employment to from seventy-
five to 100 men, and fifty teams, and was thus occu-
pied for a period of six years; at the same time
he also was interested in farming. From Missouri
he finally migrated into the State of Texas, and
was engaged as a contractor there also in the
building of railroads.

After coming to Wichita Mr. Tangney continued
his vocation as railroad contractor for a time, then
turned his attention to real estate, buying, selling
and building, in which he has been more than or-
dinarily successful. While a resident of Missouri
he was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Len-
nox, of Lebanon, Laclede County, the wedding
taking place at the home of the bride, Feb. 3, 1871.
Mrs. Tangney is the daughter of John and Susan
(Dodson) Lennox, natives of Missouri, and the
father is engaged in general merchandising. Mrs.
T. was born Oct. 1, 1854, in Lebanon, Mo. Her
paternal grandfather, John W. Lennox, was a native
of England and closely allied to the nobility. The
mother was the daughter of Dr. James Dodson, a
noted physician, who spent his last j'ears in Mis-
souri. Her brother William is a physician and

«►



824



■•►



SEDGWICK COUNTY



surgeon, and also a minister of the Methodist Epis-
copal Church, in Missouri. Her uncle, Hon. Ben-
jamin Dodson, was at one time a Representative in
the Missouri Legislature. Her uncle James is also
a phi'sician and a capitalist of Nevada, Mo. The
Dodsous were largelj'^ represented in the medical
profession. Mrs. Tangne3''s mother was an own
cousin to Jefferson Davis, of the Southern Confed-
eracy. Her people were of English and American
descent, wealthy and influential.

Our subject and his estimable lady are held in
high esteem by the people of their community, and
the latter is a member in good standing of the
Catholic Church. Mr. Tangney, politically, affil-
iates with the Democratic party.



i^^HOMAS EDMONDSON, an old and well-
m^\ known resident of Grant Township, is ac-
'^^^ credited with having improved one of the
finest farms within its borders. He came to Kan-
sas in the summer of 1880, and purchased a section
of partly improved land, where he has since profita-
bly employed his time, and besides the thorough
cultivation of the soil, repaired the old buildings
and put up new. having now two residences, in one
of which he resides with bis family, and the other
is occupied b^' a tenant.

The early years of our subject were spent in
Hamilton County, Ohio, wliere he was born Aug.
25, 1820; the father moved to Dayton, Ohio, about
1826 or 1827, where our subject remained until years
of maturity, when he took up his abode in Clarke
County. At Springfield he conducted a tannery
for some years, and fi-om there came to this State,
in February, 1880.

Edward Edmondson, the father of our subject,
was a native of Delaware, and married Miss Ruth
Richards, who was born in Pennsylvania. Of the
latter State the maternal grandparents of our sub-
ject, Jonathan Richards and his wife, were also na-
tives, of Quaker descent. They were of that kindly
and unobtrusive character peculiar to this people,
and spent their entire lives engaged in the peaceful
pursuit of farming on the soil of the Keystone State.
The parents of our subject after their marriage



first settled in Hamilton County, Ohio, and later
became residents of the city of Dayton, where Mr.
E<lmondsou followed his trade of a tanner and fin-
isher, and continued a resident of the Buckeye
State until the day of his death, which occurred in
the town of Richmond after he had reached the ad-
vanced age of eighty-four years. The mother had
passed awaj' some years previously, when sixty-five
years old.

Our subject continued in his native State until
after reaching his majoi'ity, and while a resident of
Montgomery County was united in marriage, Nov.
11, 1845, with Miss Leah E. Evans, who was born
in Cumberland County, Pa., June 16, 1825. She
was the fourth child of a familj' of nine, and the
offspring of Owen and Leah (Souder) Evans, also
natives of the Keystone State, whence they removed
to Montgomery County, Ohio, settling in Dayton
at an early period in its history. Mrs. Leah Ed-
mondson became the mother of five children, and
died in Springfield, Ohio, in June, 1878. Their
daughter, Floressa C, died when three years of age.
Another, Anna Cora, is the wife of Willis Davis, who
is a druggist at Valley Center, this county ; Edward
Clarence is a resident of Springfield, Ohio, and
Arista E. makes his home with his father; one
babe, named Thomas Lincoln, died in infancy.

The present wife of our subject, to whom he was
married at Alexander, Rush County, this State,
March 16, 1880, was formerly Mrs. Emily J. Sweet-
land, who was born in Richland County, Ohio, Aug.
27, 1824. Her first marriage occurred Jan. 20,
1840, to Lyman Sweetland. Mrs. Edmondson is
the daughter of Samuel and Nancy (Rush) McClure.
The parents were natives of New York and Penn-
sylvania respectively. Mrs. E. has one son by her
first husband, John M. Sweetland, now forty-two
years of age, and engaged in farming and the real-
estate business in Rush Count}\ Mr. Edmondson,
in addition to the cultivation of the soil, was largely
engaged in the breeding of full-blooded Poland-
China swine, while the other animals of his farm are
of good grade and well cared for. While a resident
of Ohio he was quite active in politics, and for four
years during the late Rebellion was President of
the City Council, of Springfield. He is warmly
interested in the temperance movement, and votes > r



■^



r



'<-



i^lr



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



827



with the Prohibitionists. No man is move deeply
interested in the growth and prosperity of Southern
Kansas, and none more willing to contribute of his
time and means to further its interests. His farm
is pleasantly located in the southwestern part of
Grant Township, one and one-half miles from the
village of Valley Center, and the fields enclosed
with beautiful hedge fencing, in the summer season,
especially, form a beautiful picture in the landscape
of that section, .is maj' readily be imagined by a
glance at a view of the homestead on another page
in this volume.

Mr. .and Mrs. Edmondson coincide with the doc-
trines of the Universalist Church, and number a
goodly list of friends among the best people of
Grant Township.



\



■^^HOMAS K. KIMEL, an honored pioneer of
/^^N Ninnescah Township, residing on section 8,
^^^ came to Sedgwick County in 1873. He then
pre-empted the laud which he now occupies, com-
prising the northeast quarter of said section, its
rich, fertile soil being then in its primitive condi-
tion. The town was then sparsely populated, few
tracts of land having been sold, and our subject has
watched with genuine pride and satisfaction its
gradual growth from a struggling hamlet to a
thrifty and prosperous township, with well culti-
vated .and well stocked farms, whose substantial
dwellings and commodious out-buildings, with their
pleasant surroundings, indicate the general pros-
peritjr and refinement of the inhabitants.

Our subject may, in a manner, be said to have
become a pioneer of another State in very early life,
as he was but eight years of age when his parents
removed to Illinois, where they became early set-
tlers of Mercer County, and he, even at that youth-
ful age, did his share iu improving a farm, thus
receiving a pioneer training, and well understand-
ing the laborious toil, disadvantages and privations
incidental to such a life before coming to this county.
He was a native of Ohio, born in Trumbull County,
that part now known as Portage County-, the date
of his birth being Feb. 5, 18.32. His parents.



Henry .and Anna M. (Hurst) Kimel, natives of
Pennsylvania, were of German and Scotch descent
respectively. Phillip Kimel, an uncle of our sub-
ject, was a gallant soldier in the War of 1812. Mr.
and Mrs. Henry Kimel were the parents of nine
children, of wiiom the following are living: James
W., of Iowa; Jonathan T., of Nebraska; Chauneey
D., of Washington Territory, .and our subject.
Jonathan and Chauneey served in the late wai-.
The names of the deceased .are as follows : Isaac,
Eliza A., Mary J., Julia, and William P., who w.is
killed in the first battle of Ft. Donelson.

Thomas Kimel, the subject of this sketch, was
reared to man's estate in Mercer County, 111., where
he lived until he came to Kaus,as. His educational
advantages were such as were afforded by the
schools of that early day in that county. While
still a resident of Illinois he was married to Miss
Rebecca Mounts, their union being solemnized Nov.
3. 1859, on the seventeenth anniversary of her birth,
which was Nov. 3, 1842. She w.as born in West
Virginia, being a daughter of William and Martha
(Galloway) Mounts, natives respectively of West
Virginia and Pennsylvania. They removed to Mer-
cer County, 111., with their family when Rebecca
was fourteen years old. They were the parents of
nine children, five of whom are living: James L.,
of Wichita; Samuel G., of Peoria, 111.; George D.,
of Nodaw.ay County, Mo.; William and Rebecca.
The names of those deceased are — Sarah J., Jona-
than, Agnes S. and Indiana T. Jonath.an died dur-
ing the war from sickness contrsvcted on Southern
battle-fields.

Our subject is essentially a self-m.ade man, as
when he started out in life he had but little me.ans,
but by industry, frugality, wise economy, and the
co-operation of his wife, while living in Illinois he
managed to get a good start and made some money,
which by his good management since becoming a
citizen of this State, in 1873, he has greatly in-
creased. By incessant toil .and skill he has evolved
a fine farm from the wild prairie, on which he has
erected a handsome residence, a commodious barn,
and other convenient farm buildings. He lias also
increased the original aere.age of his farm until he
now owns 480 acres of valuable land.

To our subject and his wife have been born ten



•►Hh-^



i^^^i-4.



828



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



children, of whom nine are living, namely : William
E. ; Martha G., wife of Nelson George, of Wichita;
Jonathan M., a teacher in Sedgwick County ; Har-
vey O., Thomas K., Mary R., Abbie M., Samuel G.
and Temperance, One died unnamed in infancy.
Mr. and Mrs. Kimel are highly respected in
society and fill an honorable position in this com-
munity. Politically, our subject is a warm sup-
porter of the Eepublican party. Mrs. Kimel is a
consistent member of tlie Methodist Episcopal
Church, at Clearwater. A lithographic view is
shown on another page of Mr. Kimel's residence.



-v-V-



-^3^



•Mh



J'OSIAH M. SAMUEL is engaged in the agri-
cultural implement business at Greenwich,
and also deals largely in grain and coal. He
first saw the light in his father's house on the
19th of January, 1849, in Rockcastle County,
Ky. He is a son of John C. and Margaret A.
(Cook) Samuel, the former of whom was a North
Carolinian by birth, and the latter a Kentuckian.

The father was born on the 7th of October, 1818,
and the mother about ten years later. John Sam-
uel left his home in North Carolina when about
sixteen 3^ears of age, and took up a farm in Ken-
tucky' in the woods. He commenced at once the
arduous task of clearing it of the timber that at
that period covered nearly the entire "'dark and
bloody ground." After making a farm of the place,
he made it his home until 1854, when he removed
to Hancock County, 111., aud settled near Carthage.
For thirteen years in that place he was quietly
engaged in agricultural pursuits, aud then took up
his line of march for Kansas, with the flood of
emigrants who were coming hither at that time.
He selected a home in Allen County, where he took
up a homestead of 120 acres, and improved it, but
finally sold that property, and purchased another
in Bourbon Count}', where he and his wife now re-
side.

During the year 1863, while a resident of Han-
cock County, John C. Samuel, the father of the
subject of this sketch, enlisted in Company K,
14(5th Illinois Infantry. Shortly after he was mus-
tered into the service he was detailed for duty



Online Libraryfirm ChapmanPortrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 108 of 154)