Copyright
firm Chapman.

Portrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 118 of 154)
Online Libraryfirm ChapmanPortrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 118 of 154)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he immediately put up a handsome residence upon
the same foundation, in which he is living at the
present time. He is the owner of a farm of 220
acres of fine arable land, which he has under a high
state of cultivation, and is the owner of twenty
acres more which is platted into town lots, and
known as William Sullivan's Addition to Wichita.
This latter is most valuable propertj', as it is within
easy access to the city, and situated near the Motor
Line. Our subject makes his home on section 18,
surrounded by all the comforts of life, and has his
place well stocked with high-grade Norman Per-
cheron horses, Durham cattle, Poland-China hogs,
and excellent mules.

Our subject was the first man in Kechi Township
to prove up his claim, the place which he purchased
belonging to an individual to whom Mr. Sullivan
gave the money with which to obtain his papers.
He was also the first man in that sub-division of the
coiinty to pa3' taxes on his land. Although not



very active in politics, he votes with the Repub-
lican party, but is quite prominent in educational
matters, being largely instrumental in the organiza-
tion of the various school districts in this part of
the county. When he came to this part of the
country it was in an entirely wild state, and he has
watched its growth and development with great
interest. The first lumber which he purchased he
was compelled to haul from Topeka, 140 Qiiles dis-
tant, but shortly afterward he could purchase that
necessary article at Emporia, a distance of only 100
miles. The next time he needed it he found it at
Newton, twenty-two miles away, and then at Wich-
ita, which is within easy reach, being but eight
miles distant. The town of Valley Center, but two
miles from him, affords an easy market, and shows
with what rapidity this portion of Kansas is de-
veloping. When he first came here he was out
upon several buffalo hunts, and has killed several
of those animals within the bounds of Sedgwick
County, not more than six miles from bis place.
He has lived to see Wichita rise from its infancy,
when it only consisted of one store and a few stock-
ade houses, until it is now the wonder of the State.
The home of Mr. and Sirs. Sullivan has been
brightened and their joys crowned by the advent
of one child, William Albert, who is at home and
attending school. Mrs. Sullivan is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and a good, sincere
and upright Christian woman.



SA AC SANDUSKY is an intelligent and progres.
sive farmer and stock-grower of Ninnescah
_\ Township. He is emphatically a self-made
man, as he started in life with no other capital than
brains, a willingness to labor and the necessary mus-
cle, and, although he is still a young man, he has
become quite successful. He was born in Vermil-
ion County, 111., Jan. 5, 1850, and is the son of
Harvey and Elizabeth Sandusky, who are now liv-
ing in New Mexico. The names of the remaining
children born to his parents are George W., Charlie
and Kate.

Our subject grew to manhood in his native State,
receiving a judicious training from his excellent



•►Hl-^



-^-



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



891



Hh^



parents, and the rudiments of his education in the
district school. At the age of nineteen he entere^
Westfield College, Clark County, 111., and was a
student there for one year, and by close applica-
tion to his studies, attained high rank for good
scholarship. Since leaving college he has broadened
and deepened his culture by a thoughtful reading
of good literature, and is well informed on all the
general topics of the da_v.

In 1876 our subject went to Colfax County, N.
M., with his family, and became interested in stock
raising there, conducting that enterprise with much
success for some years, also doing some farming in
connection with it. He at last decided that he
could do still better in Kansas, and coming here in
the year 1884, soon after settled on his present
farm. This contains 240 acres of valuable land, is
well watered, well improved, and well stocked, and
in every way one of the most desirable farms in the
vicinity. This prosperity has been brought about
by persistent energy, well directed toil, and excep-
tional business abilitj^ on the part of our sul)ject.

Mr. Sandusky has been twice married. His first
marriage w:is to Miss May B. McClcnatlian, a na-
tive of Vermilion County, 111., and took place in
that State on the 25th of March, 1875. Of that
union three children were born, namely: Donna E.,
born March 25, 1876 ; Inez L., March 9, 1 878 ; Dot-
tie B., Sept. 23, 1880. On the latter date the de-
voted wife and mother departed this life, sincerely
lamented by many friends. The second marriage
of Mr. Sandusky took place Jan. 19, 1882; the
maiden name of his present wife was Emily R.
Jones, a daughter of Andrew J. and Hannah Jones.
She was born in Perry County, Pa., Dec. 18, 1851.
She is an excellent housewife, and makes their
pleasant home attractive to hosts of friends. To
them have been born two children: Cassius M.,
born Nov. 18, 1883; Elizabeth J., born Aug. C,
1886, died July 19, 1887.

Mr. Sandusky is regarded as a useful and an hon-
orable citizen by his fellow-townsmen; he has
rendered invaluable aid in promoting the material
interests, and in elevating the social standing of
this community. He is doing good work as School
Director of District No. 89, taking an active part
in securing the best educational advantages for the



pupils. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Clear-
water, Kan., and in politics is an adherent of the
Democratic party, although in local matters he gen-
erally votes for the man whom he considers to be
best fitted for the office, without regard to his po-
litical views.



y/



;ILLIAM BRANDIS, one of the most en-
terprising young farmers of Grand River
Township, came to this county in the spring
of 1 886, about four months after his marriage, and
located on the farm which he now occupies, on sec-
tion 24. He is recognized by the people of this
community as a valued accession to their numbers,
being thrifty and prosperous, and possessing the
principles which constitute of him an honest man
and a good citizen.

Mr. Brandis was born on the other side of the
Mississippi, about forty miles south of the city of
Springfield, 111., on the 12th of April, 1861. He is
the son of Fred and Sophia (Hempstead) Brandis,
the former a native of Germany, and who was killed
by machinery before the birth of our subject. The
mother contracted a second marriage, with Christian
Rittger, of Christian County, 111., and William con-
tinued with her until reaching his majority. When
a bo3' he attended school about three months in the
year, but being bright and observant, acquired a
very good education notwithstanding these limited
advantages. His only brother, Henry, was born
April '.», IS.^9, and is now carrying on farming in
Macoupin County, 111. He is married and has two
children; the elder, Alvan, was born July 7, 1882,
and the little daughter. Bertha, July 19, 1885.

Mr. Brandis,while a resident of Macoupin Count}',
111., was united in marriage with Miss Bertha Stein-
meyer, the wedding taking place at the home of the
bride in the above county, Dec. 17, 1885. The
spring following they came to this county, and Mr.
Brandis, with his father-in-law, purchased the land
upon which he now lives, and which he and his
brother-in-law operate together. The parents of
Mrs. Brandis, Henry and Minnie (Meyer) Stein-
meyer, were born in the Province of Hanover, Ger-
many, the father Dec. 6, 1829, and the mother



I



»► ■ ■^ -



SEDGWICK COUNTY.






October 16 of the same year. They emigrated to the
United States before theii' marriage. Mrs. B. was
born in Macoupin County, 111., Dec. 16, 1865, and
was the fifth of her parents' eight children, includ-
ing two half-brothers, William and Henry Loges,
the sons of her mother by a former marriage. The
balance of the family, the Steinmeyer children, were
Charles and Mary (twins) ; Bertha, Mrs. B. ; Rich-
ard, Minnie and Amelia. Mr. and Mrs. Steinmeyer
are residents of Illinois.

Our subject and his wife are the parents of a
bright little daughter, Dena Caroline, who was born
Jan. 14, 1887. Mr. Brandis was reared in the Re-
publican faith, but votes independently. He and
his wife are active members of the German Luth-
eran Church.

ERASMUS D. ADAMS. The interesting
points in the historj' of this representative
? citizen of Clearwater are essentially as fol-
lows: A native of far New England, he was born
in the State of Maine, Dec. 31, 1814, and is conse-
quently now quite well advanced in years, having
more than numbered the sum of threescore and ten.
His long and useful life has been marked by those
elements of character which have constituted him a
useful citizen, and a man regarded with confidence
and esteem by all who have known him. He is now
in the enjoyment of a good home and a competency,
and has little reason to be ashamed of the record
which he has made during a period of years exceed-
ing the average life of man.

Joseph and Betsey (Farnum) Adams, the parents
of our subject, were natives respectively of Massa-
chusetts and New Hampshire, the former of En-
glish ancestry, and the progenitors of the latter
natives of Wales. The first representatives of this
countr}' participated in the struggle of the Colonists
for their independence, and the whole history of the
two families has ,been eminently' creditable and one
of which their descendants have reason to be proud.

Mr. Adams was reared to manhood in his native
State, and completed a good education in the Maine
Wesleyan Seminary at Kent's Hill, from which he
was graduated at the close of the higher English i
■^m



and scientific course. For twelve years thereafter
he was engaged as a teacher mostly in the public
schools. He left New England in 1836, making his
way westward to Cleveland. Ohio, and later to
Muscatine County. Iowa, whence five months later
he recrossed the Father of Waters into Warren
Countj', 111., where he resided several years. He
next took up his residence in Johnson County, Iowa,
and from there removed two years later to Black
Hawk Count3', where he was one of the earliest pio-
neers, and settled near what is now the flourishing
little citj' of Cedar Falls. He continued his resi-
dence there from 1845 until 1870, then proceeded
southward, going into Newton County, Mo., and
was there engaged in farming a period of fifteen
years.

When a boy Mr. Adams learned chair-making, in
which he occupied himself for several j'ears at Cedar
Falls, Iowa, but in Missouri he turned his attention
to farming and fruit-raising. He came to Clearwater,
this county, in the fall of 1 885, where he has since
resided. To the faithful companion of his long and
worthy life, who in her girlhood was Miss Catherine
Sturgis, he was united in marriage on the 1st of
August, 1841, in Johnson County, Iowa, and this
union resulted in the birth of five children, of whom
but four .are living, namely : John S., of California;
Henry F., of Stevens County, this State; Amos D.,
of Prescott, Ariz., and Delia, who remains at home
with her parents.

Mrs. Adams was born in Monroe Countj', Mich.,
Julj' 24, 1821, and is the daughter of John and
Delia (Miller) Sturgis, the former of whom was one
of the first Settlers on the prairie in St. Joseph
County, that State. He was a m.in of much ability,
served first as Justice of the Peace and Postmaster,
and finally as Associate Judge. The town of Stur-
gis was named in his honor, and he passed his last
days there, dying in 1873. Mrs. Adams was seven
years of age when her parents became residents of
St. Joseph County, and she lived there until the
twentieth year of her age, when she moved to Iowa
with a brother, and it was there she first met our
subject. John Sturgis and his wife were natives
respectively of Philadelphia, Pa., and New York
State. Mr. S., politicall}', was a decided Democrat
and an intimate friend of ex-Gov. Cass, of Michi-
,►



-^-



SEDGWICK COUNTY,



893 ' )



gan. His father, Auaos Sturgis, served as a Captain
in the Revolutionary War, in which he distinguished
himself by his bravery, and was the close friend of
Gen. Washington. Upon laying down the sword
he took up his residence in Mt. Pleasant, Canada,
where he spent the last years of his life, and was
gathered to his fathers at a ripe old age.

A member of the Democratic party during his
early manhood, Mr. Adams identified himself with
the Republicans after their organization, in 1856,
and has since been one of the warmest adherents of
this party. While in Iowa he served as Trustee of
Cedar Falls Township, and was also Justice of the
Peace there a number of years.

GEORGE CARROTHERS. One of the most
popular men in the village of Valley Center
is the Individual whose name heads this
sketch, who is the present Postmaster. He was first
commissioned to this office in 1875, and held it
until 1880, when he was removed, but in October,
1885, was reinstated, and has occupied the position
ever since. He transacts all the business of the
office, with the assistance of his estimable wife.

Mr. Carrothers is a native of Coshocton County,
Ohio, born Feb. 15, 1843, and is the son of James
iind Elizabeth ( Brookover) Carrothers. His parents
were natives of Ohio and Maryland respectively,
and died, the father in 1856 and the mother about
1871. The ancestors of the Carrothers were Irish,
but the parents of Mrs. Elizabeth Carrothers were
Eastern people, who removed from Mai-yland to
Ohio when she was about six years of age. James
Carrothers, the father of our subject, was reared to
the occupation of a farmer, but in his young man-
hood commenced and served out an apprenticeship
at carpentering, and for some years followed that
trade. In his later years, however, he went back to
the business in which he had been bred, which he
followed successfully until a few years before his
death, when he retired from the active cares of life.
For three successive years, in Ohio, he was engaged
in grading and building bridges, etc., on what was
called the Steubenville & Ohio Railroad, but which
is now known as the " Panhandle Road." By these



-4^



contracts he amassed considerable money, and was
counted among the wealthy and influential citizens
of that part of the country. Both he and his wife
were members of the Presbyterian Church, and held
connection with that denomination for a great
number of years, and Mr. Carrothers was one of
the leading men of the society. He was a Demo-
crat in politics, and quite influential in all local
affairs in the precinct and county where he lived.
He was the father of eleven children, namely:
Ruth R., Archibald, John L., James T., Elizabeth J.,
William, George, Mary E., Aton, Robert and
Nancy E. Of these children, Archibald, James,
William and Mary are deceased.

The subject of this personal memoir, George,
remained at home with his parents, assisting his
father on the farm, and during his boyhood drew
his education from the common district schools.
At the age of nineteen he commenced the battle of
life on his own account, working wherever he could
find employment at farming for about three years,
after which he went to Illinois and located in Ma-
con County, where he followed the same avocation.
From that place, a year later, he removed to Moul-
trie County, in the same State, where he made a
stay of about four years and then went to Piatt
County. After four or five years spent in the bit-
ter locality, in 1875, with a view to better his fort-
unes and to obtain a place where he could extend
his efforts toward a competency, he came to Kansas
and located in the village of Valley Center, where
he engaged in the mercantile business. This voca-
tion he continued until 1883, when he retired for
a short time and was then, as mentioned above, ap-
pointed to the office of Postmaster.

Mr. Carrothers was united in marriage, April 19,
1876, with Miss Nellie Litson, a native of Jefferson
County, Ind., who was born Aug. 10, 1857, and is
the daughter of William H. and Helen (Fenton)
Litson. who are farmers in Butler County, her father
being one of the prominent and representative citi-
zens of that portion of Southern Kansas. Mrs.
Carrothers is one of a family of eight children born
to her parents, whose names are as follows : Will-
iam H., James F., Nellie, Elizabeth, Andrew D.,
George M., Frank and Emma; the latter died
May 14, 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Carrothers have been



f



I



4•-

' 894



Hh-^



SEDGWICK COUNTY.






the parents of three children — Jessie, Edna B. and
Rosie G. ; the last named died Jan. 26, 1885, and
Edna died Nov. 14, 1885; they are both buried in
Maple Grove Cemetery, in Grant Township; Jessie
is living at home with her parents, and attending
the district school.

Our subject is a stanch administration Democrat
and adheres closely to the principles as laid down
by Thomas Jefferson. He is one of the most popu-
lar and influential citizens of the village and town-
ship, and possesses the confidence and esteem of
everybody. For two years he was a member of
the City Council, being one of the first who was
elected to that otlice after the incorporation of Val-
ley Center, and held the position until the spring of
1887. He is a member of the I. 0. O. F., Valley
Center Lodge No. 223.

ILLIAM R. ALBERTSON, a lively repre-
sentative of the agricultural interests of
Valley Center Township, is operating on
320 acres of land on sections 9 and 10, and in addi-
tion to the ordinary cultivation of the soil he is
giving considerable attention to the raising of
blooded stock, usually keeping a herd of from fif-
teen to twenty head of fine cattle, besides horses
and swine.

The farm of our subject includes 320 acres of
land, occupying a part of sections 9 and 10, where
he located in August, 1882. He spent his early
years in Wayne County, Ind., where he was born
Sept. 21, 1831. and is consequently little past his
prime, and finds himself watching with the interest
of twenty years ago the growth and development
of the great West. He is the offspring of a good
old family, being the son of Joshua and Abigail
(Ratliff) Albertson, who were natives of North
Carolina, where the father acquired his first knowl-
edge of farming and subsequently learned the trades
of carpenter and millwright. They removed to
Indiana during the early settlement of Wayne
County, where the elder Alliertson erected many of
the mills adjacent to the now flourishing city of
Richmond, whicli was then but a hamlet. The
mother, who had been reared in the Quaker faith,
^



died at the homestead in Wayne County, on the
5th of June, 1853, aged fifty-four years. The
father survived his wife over a quarter of a century,
and rested from his earthly labors on the 16th of
April, 1879. A Whig in early manhood, he later
joined the Republican party, and took an active
interest in public affairs.

The children of Joshua and Abigail Albertson,
thirteen in number, included six sous and seven
daughters, one of whom, Elmira, died when about
one year old ; another died unnamed in infancy ; the
others were: Eli, Eliza, Milton, Benjamin, Martha,
Sarah; William R., of our sketch; Cyrus, Ellen,
Elizabeth and Rebecca, all of whom lived to attain
their majority. Of these there are five surviving,
namely : Eli, William R., Cyrus, Rebecca and Eliz-
abeth.

Young Albertson, when twenty -two years of age,
engaged to work the old homestead, upon which
he continued one and one-half years longer, and
thence removed to another farm near by, where he
operated three years. At the expiration of this
time, resolving upon a change of location, he crossed
the Mississippi into Mahaska County, Iowa, where
he spent the following winter, and in 1855 settled
in Pottawatomie County, Kan., about fortj' miles
west of the present flourishing city of Atchison.
After a brief time he changed his residence to
Pleasant Hill, and then to Leavenworth, but
not being able to content himself in the West at
this time returned to his old home in Wayne
County, Ind. He subsequently lived in Jay and
Hamilton Counties, farming in the latter about
twenty years, and in 1882 sold out and made his
way to this county, where he has since remained.

The wife of our subject, to whom he was married
while a resident of Wayne County, Ind., on the
30th of September, 1852, was formerlj' Miss Re-
becca, daughter of Michael and Mary (Etter)
Fonts. The parents of Mrs. Albertson were natives
respectively of North Carolina and Pennsylvania,
and are members of the Dunkard Church. The
father followed farming in Wayne County, Ind.,
the greater part of his life, and there his death
took place on the 27th of December, 1876. The
mother followed on the 3d of August, 1879.
Their family consisted of five sons and eight daugh-



■•►




JA^c^i



'ly^



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



ters, namely : Susan, Abigail, Elizabeth, Mary, Re-
becca, Aaron, Jane, Jackson, Catherine, John, Sarah
Ann, an infant who died unnamed, and David.
The latter is now a lawyer of Jay County, Ind.
Only seven of the children are living, and are resi-
dents mostly of Indiana, Nebraska and Kansas.

The five children of Mr. and Mrs. Albertson are
recorded as follows: Mary A. was born Jan. 30,

1854, and was married, in 1873, to William H.
Purkey; they have had eleven children, five of
whom are deceased, and are carrying on farming in
Valley Center Township. Sarah E. was born Sept. 26,

1855, and died Oct. 2, 1856; Joshua R. was born
July 30, 1858, and married Miss Eliza Martin when
twenty years of age ; they have one daughter, Lilian,
and since 1885 have been residents of Wichita.
Martha Jane was born Dee. 19, 1859, and is the
wife of William Shaw, of Sedgwick City ; they have
two children — Oracle V. and Nellie. John H. was
born Oct. 4, 1861, and married Miss Jennie Craw-
ford, by whom he is the father of one child, a
daughter. Hazel.

Mr. Albertson votes the Republican ticket, and
with his estimable wife, has been identified with the
United Brethren Church for some years. He was
elected Director of School District No. 61, in 1885,
in which office he has since been retained.



(^JMOS A. PACKER, of Wichita, came to
^O Southern Kansas in 1870, and for a time

jljm engaged in the harness business. He then
^ established the second livery in the city, in
a stable built out of store-boxes and oyster cans.
He is now one of the capitalists of Wichita and
partially retii-ed from active business, devoting his
time to the supervision of his property interests
and literary pursuits, having one of the most classi-
cal and rare libraries in the city, of which he is a
thorough student, and complete master. His unique
and tasteful residence is situated at the intersection
of Topeka avenue and Lewis street, in one of the
most beautiful sectfons of the city.

Mr. Packer was born Aug. 30, 1833, near Wheel-
ing, Va., where he spent his boyhood days. His
parents, Isaac and Rebecca (Allen) Packer, were



natives of Pennsylvania, whence they removed to
Virginia, and engaged in the hotel business at
Wheeling for many years. The father also dealt in
live stock considerably in that State. He died at
Zanesville, Ohio, in 1884. The mother passed away
in 1852, thirty-two years before the decease of her
husband. They were both reared in the Quaker
Church, of which they became members by birth-
right. Their six children were : Angelina A., now
Mrs. R. J. Campbell; Esther J., the wife of J. An-
derson; Sarah B. ; Saretta, now Mrs. F. W. Todd;
John, and Amos A., our subject.

The subject of this sketch left his native State in
1852, and came to lovva, where he remained one
summer. Thence he went east to Illinois, where
he remained two years. His next removal was to
Missouri, and he made his home at St. Louis, where
he employed himself in the book and stationery
business. In 1857 he moved to Roanoke, that
State, where he studied medicine in the office of
Dr. Hayes until the spring of 1860, and during the
border difficulties between that State and Kansas.
From there he moved in an emigrant wagon to
Leavenworth, Kan., and assisted in the establish-
ment of a wagon road from that place to Denver,
Col., in which enterprise he was introduced to fron-
tier life in earnest, as the men were continually
harassed by the Indians, who assumed a threaten-
ing attitude toward the white man's advance. In
one conflict with them Mr. Packer's party sustained
the loss of some of its members, but succeeded in



Online Libraryfirm ChapmanPortrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 118 of 154)