Copyright
firm Chapman.

Portrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 32 of 154)
Online Libraryfirm ChapmanPortrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 32 of 154)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


farm five miles north of the city. She then bought
a farm of 130 acres one and one-half miles south of
Douglas avenue; twenty acres of this were under
cultivation, and on the farm was a small house con-
taining two rooms only. They remained on the
farm, with the exception of one year, until the fall
of 1887, in the meantime building a fine house and
greatly improving the farm. Since her purchase
three additions have been laid out on the farm and
the property has greatly increased in value. In 1887
our subject built her present fine residence in the
city at a cost of nearly $5,000. It is tastily fur-
nished, fitted up with the modern conveniences,
and very conveniently arranged. Mrs. Kay is a
conscientious member of the Christian Church.



JOHN C. ROBB, a leading and influential
farmer and stock-raiser, who makes his home
on section 35, Kechi Township, was born
July 3, 1837, in Seneca County, Ohio. He
is the sixth in a family of nine children born to his
parents, Andrew and Ellen (Rishel) Robb.

The father of our subject was a farmer in the
Buckeye State, but removed to Wisconsin in 1848,
and settled in Green County. He remained a resi-
dent of that localitj', engaged in tilling the soil,
until the day of his death, which occurred in 1864.
His excellent wife survived him until 1885, when
she too was c.illed home, having reached the ad-
vanced age of eighty-three years. Our subject
received his education in the district schools, and
was early trained in the vocation of a farmer in



r^




^.^//y^ /iM^i^yi^c^



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



289



Wisconsin, making his residence beneath the home
roof until attaining manhood. He commenced the
battle of life in the Badger State, working at farm
labor wherever he could find it to do until he was
twenty-four years of age.

On the breaking out of the great Rebellion, and
on the call for troops from the loyal States of the
North by the General Government, Mr. Robb en-
listed, Sept. 7, 1861, in the 5th Wisconsin Battery,
light jirtillery, and was mustered into the service of
the United States at Racine, in that State. He
participated, with the gallant company to which
he was attached, in the battles of Perryville and
Stone River, in the skirmishes which took place
around New Madrid, and in the fierce and sangui-
nary conflict at Shiloh, where so many of the youth
of our beloved land were called to a martyr's
grave. After having been actively engaged
throughout most of the battles in the Southwest, he
participated, with the battery, in the Atlanta cam-
paign, and was with Sherman when that matchless
Captain, cutting loose from his b.ase of supplies,
marched through Georgia and the Carolinas to the
sea. In 1863 he veteranized in the same company,
receiving his first discharge at Madison, Wis., in
January, 1863, and was in active service until the
close of the war. At the battle of Stone River he
was in imminent danger of capture, but was saved
by the mule upon which he was riding running
away. From exposure and hardship in the field he
contracted rheumatism and many other of the
diseases incident to a soldier's life, and sustained
such injury to his eyes as rendered him nearly
blind for a period of eleven years. At the close of
the hostilities he was mustered out of the service,
and received an honorable discharge at Madison,
Wis., June 14, 1865.

Returning to his home, our subject commenced
farming in Green County, Wis., where he was mar-
ried, on Christmas Day, 1865, to Miss Sarah K. Hast-
ings, a native of Mercer County, Pa., born Dec.
16, 1845. She is the sixth child of Hugh and
Salome (Barnhart) Hastings, natives of the Kej'-
stone State, who had a family of ten children. The
young couple remained in the Badger State until
the fall of 1877, when they came to Kansas and
settled in Sedgwick County, on the place where



they now live. Mr. Robb purchased 160 acres of
land, eighty acres in Kechi and eighty in Wichita
To\\-nship. He at once commenced improving this
property, but soon sold forty acres of it, and has
now 120 acres of fine arable land in a high state of
cultivation and excellently improved. It is suf-
ficiently stocked with good, high-grade Norman
horses, Durham cattle, and half-blood Jerseys and
Holsteins.

Our subject is a strong Republican, and quite
active in politics, but is a strong Prohibitionist in
principle. He is an influential member of Wichita
Post, G. A. R. To him and his wife has been
born a family of six children, as follows: Omi,
dece.Tsed ; LueOa married I. D. Long, and resides
in Kechi Township; Janette, Clair A., Letha and
Gracie. Omi died at the age of seven years, and
the rest are at home and attending school.



J' OHN KENNEDY, whose portrait appears on
the opposite page, is prominently identified
with the real estate interests of Wichita, be-
ing actively engaged in the sale and transfer
of city property. He has substantially aided the
growth of this metropolis, h.as built eight or nine
houses, .and probably owns $60,000 worth of realty
here. Mr. Kennedy has achieved wealth by his
own unaided exertions, and is, in fact, a self-made
man, starting out in life with nothing but youth in
his favor, and his endowments of fine health, a vig-
orous muscle, and a clear, cool brain. After all, a
man possessing these need fear nothing; with a
determination to succeed, success is his almost from
the start, although it may be that years of patient
waiting and hard toil are necessary before his
endeavors are crowned with the full measure of
success. Our subject, with the endowments before-
mentioned, gaining experience and business ability
as the years have passed, has become very prosper-
ous while yet in the prime of life.

Mr. Kennedy was born in County Sligo, Ireland,
May 11, 1842. His p.arents were Martin and
Honora (Meehan) Kennedy, both natives of Sligo
County, Ii-eland. They both lived and died in



•^^



M



290



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



■^



their native county. They were members of the
Catholic Church. Mr. Kennedy was a farmer.

Our subject came to this country when but a boy
of six years, with his older brother, Michael, now
of Piedmont, N. Y. The boys went to Roundout,
Ulster Co., N. Y., where John gi-ew to manhood.
When Lincoln made his first call for troops, the
youth, who had grown up under the institutions
of this country, and scarcely knew any other home,
was prompt to enlist in defense of his adopted
country and its institutions. He became a member
of Company F, SOth Kew York Infantry, entering
as a private for a term of three years. He was in the
battles of Fredericksburg, Antietam, second battle
of Bull Run, and Cedar ]Mount:\in. His courage
in action gained him merited promotion, and he
w:is made a Sergeant. He served his full term of
enlistment and was honorably discharged at Wash-
ington.

After the war Mr. Kennedy again entered the
service of the Government, being employed as a
wagonmaster, and was transferred to Leavenworth,
Kan. In 1866 he left there and went to Indiana,
and in Jackson Countj^ that State, was married to
Miss Jane Rich, a lady of American parentage, but
descended from German ancestry. To them has
been born one son, John. They also have an
adopted daughter, Mary. After remaining in In-
diana a few years, Mr. Kennedy went to New
Mexico, and was there employed by the Santa Fe
Railwaj' Company as section foreman.

At the end of a residence of seven years in New
Mexico, Sir. Kennedy came to Kansas, in 1883, and
established himself in the hotel business in Wichita,
being the proprietor of the Kennedy House, on
Fourth avenue. His urbanity, cheerfulness and
careful consideration for the needs of his guests,
made him very popular as a host. He subsequently
sold the Kennedy House for $12,000, having bought
it for $1,600, which is a good illustration of the
marvelous increase in values in this city within the
last few years. After abandoning the hotel busi-
ness, Mr. Kennedy turned his attention altogether
to real estate transactions, which he has conducted
with great financial ability and success.

In politics Mr. Kennedy is identified with the
Republican party and is a strong believer in its



principles. Both himself and his amiable wife are
members of the Catholic Church. They are hon-
ored and respected in this community for their
sterling worth, generous hospitality, and unbounded
liberality.



(^ RCHIBALD M. AULD. a jovial bachelor
(^O in the prime of life, is prominent among

jifmi the farmers and stock-raisers of Attica
^' Township, and one of the most worthy of
the enterprising citizens represented in this work.
He came to Kansas in its Territorial days, his first
an-ival here being in 1866. He first located in
Leavenworth Count}', where he occupied himself
as a teacher in the district schools, and from there
went into Atchison County, where he continued
teaching for a time, and then became interested in a
hotel in Doniphan County. Thence he went into
Brown County and resumed teaching, which he con-
tinued until 1871. Sedgwick Countj' was his next
tramping ground, and here he resolved to locate,
and accordingly took up a claim. He then re-
turned to Brown County, where he followed his
profession through the winter.

In the meantime, while Mr. Auld was absent
from his claim, another party stepped in, and ma-
neuvred in such a manner that our subject was
obliged to abandon it. He then made another, of
which he has succeeded in retaining possession, and
which he now occupies. Upon this it is hardly
necessary to say he has effected a wonderful change,
having now one of the best farms in Attica Town-
ship, with a good set of buildings and the live-stock
and machinery necessary to form the complete
homestead. His domestic affairs are presided over
by himself.

Harrison County, Ohio, was the birthplace of our
subject, and his parents were John G. and Hannah
M. (Ankrum) Auld, who were natives of Pennsyl-
vania, and are now deceased. Archibald M. was
born on the 1 1th of July, 1836, and passed his boy-
hood and youth after the manner of most farmers'
sons, acquiring his education in the district school,
and at an earlj' age being trained to those habits of
industry and economy which have proved the
secret of his success in life. He continued under



•fe^^-



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



291



the parental roof until reaching manhood, and
then journeyed westward across the Mississippi into
Muscatine County, Iowa, where he engaged to
work in a marble-shop, and continued one year.
He then returned to his childhood home and per-
suaded his father's family to leave Ohio with him,
and they accordingly, the following year, changed
their location to Davis County, Ind.

Mr, Auld there settled down with his parents and
was occupied in teaching school until the outbreak
of the Civil War. He then enlisted as a Union
soldier in Company C, 6th Indiana Infantry, the
company being under the command of Capt. C.
Childs, and the regiment was commanded by Col.
T. T. Crittenden. Our subject participated in sev-
eral skirmishes with the enemy at various places,
and at the expiration of the three months for
which he enlisted, returned to Indiana. Previous
to this a brother, who had entered the army a few
months before, had died in Missouri from disease
contracted therein. After the return home of his
son Archibald, the father considered that he also
owed something to his country, and accordingly
enlisted as a musician in the 58th Indiana Infantry,
and marched with his regiment into Tennessee,
where he died at Nashville ten months later of dis-
ease contracted in the army.

The mother of our subject had departed this life
June 11, 1861, so that there were only two left of
the familj'; a sister, Elizabeth, is now a resi-
dent of Washington, Ind. Our subject, after the
excitement and trouble of the war were over, being
anxious to secure a better education, entered the
school at Bloomington, Ind., and upon the comple-
tion of his course of study there, engaged in teach-
ing and farming alternately until 1865. He then
made his way to Clark County, 111., where he re-
mained a year, and in 1866 came to this State, as
we have stated.

Mr. Auld taught school one term after taking
possession of his present property, but aside from
that has given to the latter his entire attention. He
is one of those large-hearted and generous men
who find friends wherever they go, and has always
been ready to lend a helping hand to those who
would endeavor to assist themselves. Providence
has blessed his labors so that of his abundance he



has been enabled to relieve the sufferings of the
unfortunate. During the Ohio Valley flood he as-
sisted in making up the carloads of grain which
were sent the unfortunate people from this section,
and has made it a rule of his life to remember those
in need.

The temperance movement has no wanner friend
than Mr. Auld, and upon this as upon all other
matters of general interest, he keeps himself thor-
oughly informed by a steady course of reading,
which is, after all, about the best school in the
world. He has abundant faith in the future great-
ness of Kansas, and is warmly interested in every-
thing that tends to promote her welfare and
prosperity. Few men are more widely or favorably
known, and have a larger list of warm friends than
Archibald M. Auld.



B -



a^ EV. FATHER F. X. KRAUS. St. Mark's
/Ii\\\ 1876 by Father John C. Schurtz, who was






Church, at St. Mark,



organized in



'w^located at Wichita. He was followed by
Father P. Maurer, who was the first regular pastor,
and he in turn was followed by Father B. Schmie-
hauseu, who in turn was succeeded by Father
Kraus, the subject of this sketch.

Father Kraus is a native of the Kingdom of
Wurtemberg, Germany, and was born Sept. 17,
1851. His parents, F. X. and Ann (Selzle) Kraus,
were also of German birth and ancestry. The
mother died in her native land, and the father in
1885 emigrated to the United States, and now
makes his home with his son, our subject. The
latter is the only living child of the family. He
commenced to study for the priesthood in his
youth, and in July, 1875, emigi-ated to America,
landing in New York City, whence he proceeded
directly to Minnesota and entered St. John's Col-
lege, where he remained until the 21:thof June, 1878.

Four days later Father Kraus made his advent
into this State, and was ordained to the priesthood
by the Rt. Rev. L. M. Fink, O. S. B., of Leaven-
worth. His first charge was the Church of the
Holy Name, at Winfield. In September, 1879, he
was an assistant of the church at Newton, and in






292



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



^



1880 was removed to the parish of Newman,
whence, in 1887, he came to St. Mark's. The par-
ish contains 135 families, and a six-months school
is conducted during the warm season. Under the
management of Father Kraus the societj- has greatlj'
prospered, and the church edifice, in consequence,
has been remodeled, enlarged and improved. The
Reverend Father seems entirely devoted to his
work, and has a large circle of friends aside from
his church people.



ONSTANTINE MERKLE, proprietor of the
400 acres of land comprising the greater
part of section 7 in Park Township, is num-
bered among the successful stock-growers of Sedg-
wick County, and gives his attention mostly to fine
cattle. His land, which comprises one of the most
fertile tracts in that region, has been brought to a
good state of cultivation, and the homestead is par-
ticularly noticeable on account of the fine set of
frame buildings and the air of comfort and plenty
which surrounds them.

Mr. Merkle took up his residence in this county
in the fall of 1872. His boyhood home was in the
kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, where his birth
took place on the 9th of May, 1837. His parents,
Joseph and Theresa (Bobb) Merkle, were also of
German birth and parentage, and left their native
land for America when their sou Constantine was a
child one year old. Thej' first settled in what
was then Allen, but is now Auglaize County, Ohio,
where the father engaged in farming and carpen-
tering, having served an apprenticeship at the lat-
ter in his own country. He lived to a good old
age, and passed away in Auglaize Countj', Ohio,
when seventy-four years old. The mother is still
living and has now reached the advanced age of
eight3'-one.

The parental household of our subject included
eight children, two of whom died in Wurtemberg
before the removal of the family to the United
States. Of the six remaining the record is as fol-
lows: Anthony has charge of the old homestead in
Ohio; Francis died in 188C, at the age of fifty-three
years; Lucy died in 1860, when about twenty-five



years old ; Constantine of our sketch is the next
eldest; Catherine became the wife of William Mc-
Dougle, of Auglaize County, Ohio; John is carrying
on carpentering at Spokan Falls, W. T.

Our subject being but an iufaut at the time of
crossing the Atlantic has no recollection of the land
of his nativity and knows no other home than
America. In his boyhood he spent a few months
at school each year and his services were utilized
upon the farm as soon as he was old enough to be
of any assistance, and he also learned the carpenter
trade of his father, which he followed for about ten
years. Upon reaching manhood he purchased eighty
acres of land near the old homestead, in Auglaize
County, Ohio, upon which he resided until 1872,
when he sold out preparatory to his removal West.

Mr. Merkle was married, in Auglaize County,
Ohio, to Miss Sarah C. DeLong, who was born
there Dec. 22, 1843, and is the daughter of Eli
and Susan (Dodson) DeLong. The young peo-
ple commenced life together on the farm already
spoken of, and became the parents of six children,
namely : Louisa, now the wife of Henry Scott, of
Kingman; Charles ; Lizzie, Mrs. James Clare; Vin-
nella, Alice and Cora May. Mr. Merkle, in 1885,
valued his possessions at $20,000, but has since met
with considerable loss. He has very little to do
with politics, but upon occasions of general elections
casts his vote in support of the Republican party.
He has steadily declined becoming an ofBce-holder,
preferring to devote his time and attention to his
farm and his family.



yTLSON F. LEWIS, one of the solid men of
Grant Township, came to this county dur-
ing its pioneer days before its school dis-
tricts had been organized, and assisted in this work
as well as many others connected with its develop-
ment and progress. He is now one of the most
prosperous farmers and stock-raisers of this section,
his fine farm being pleasantly situated .about four
miles from the village of Valley Center. He has
watched the growth of Southern Kansas with the
interest which every intelligent man feels in the



^



l^



♦^h-



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



293



section of country where his possessions lie and
where his labors have been rewarded with success.

Mr. Lewis, like many of his compeers, is a na-
tive of New York State and was born in Delaware
County, June 26, 1851. He was the j'oungest
child of William and Nancy (Burns) Lewis, whose
family included ten sons and one daughter. The
father was a native of Scotland and the mother of
New York State. William Lewis emigrated to
America when a young man twenty years of age,
and settling in Delaware County, N. Y., carried on
farming a few years and thence, in 1858, made his
way into Grant County, Wis., where he was an
early settler and where he spent the remainder of
his days. His death occurred in the spring of 18G6,
when he was about eighty-four years of age. The
mother survived her husband ten years, also dying
in Grant County, Wis., in 1876. The paternal
grandparents of our subject were natives of Scot-
land, the grandfather also being named William,
which name has already descended down through
three generations and will probably continue
through as many more. On the mother's side, the
grandparents were Moses and Catherine Burns, the
former a native of Ireland and the latter of New
York State.

The subject of this history completed his educa-
tion in the graded schools of Patch Grove, Wis.,
and since a boy has been familiar with farming-
pursuits. The year after reaching his majority he
was married, in Grant County, to Miss Mary J.
Woffenden. Mrs. Lewis was born in Ulster County,
York State, in 1849, and was the eldest child of
John and Mary (Nowel) Woffenden, who were na-
tives of England and whose family consisted of
five children. They left their native soil soon after
their marriage, locating in Connecticut, and spent
their last days in Wisconsin. Richard Woffenden,
the grandfather of Mrs. Lewis, also of English
birth and parentage, came to the United States in
middle life and died in Wisconsin in 1863. The
mother's parents remained in England.

Before permanently settling in this county Mr.
Lewis had already visited Kansas upon the lookout
for a homestead. He found nothing that suited
him better than the land in Grant Township, and
accordingly purchased a quarter of section 17,



which was railroad property. Of this he and his
young wife took possession soon after their mar-
riage, and have labored together in building up the
homestead and preparing a comfortable abiding-
place for themselves and their children. The land
has been brought to a good state of cultivation,
and the live-stock now includes high-grade Clydes-
dale and Hambletonian horses with full-blooded
Short-horn cattle and pure-bred Poland-China
hogs. Mr. Lewis had for his produce a market at
Sedgwick City at the start, and of late years espec-
ially has been in the enjoyment of a handsome
income. His industry and enterprise are proverbial.

The Republican party in this section numbers
Mr. Lewis among its most reliable members,
although he has steadily declined becoming an
office-seeker, but has officiated as Township Clerk
for two years and consented to assume responsi-
bility whenever it seemed for the good of his
township to do so. While in Wisconsin he identi-
fied himself with the L O. 0. F., in which he still
holds membership.

To Mr. and Mrs. Lewis there were born six chil-
dren, namely: Frank A., Mary A., John, Mabel,
Sarah and Daisy. They all continue under the
home roof, and are pursuing theii- studies in the
district school not far away.

PREDERICK B. WHITTEMORE, an influ-
I ential farmer and stock-raiser of Rockford
Township, is a representative of one of the
old New England families, whose history is that of
the colonies and States for the last 240 years. He
came to this county in 1883, and settled on section
24, where he is now making his home.

Mr. Whittemore was born in Pembroke, N. H.,
Sept. 12, 1857, and is the ninth child in a family of
eleven born to his parents, Aaron and Ariana
(Barstow) Whittemore, natives of the Old Granite
State. Our subject and his father, as were many
of his ancestors, were born and reared upon a farm
which was granted by Queen Mary of England,
about the middle of the sixteenth century, to
Aaron Whittemore, the great-great-grandfather of
the subject of this sketch. For more than 200
' ■ »



M



^^^11 ■<■



294



SEDGWICK COUNTY.



years this property has been held by the direct
descendants of the grantee, and some of the build-
ings which are standing upon it are still in excellent
repair, although erected more than 1 60 years ago.
The old Congregational Church which stands upon
the place, and is now used as a barn, was built in
1728. The family of Mr. AVhittemore were of
English descent, and their ancestors were fair speci-
mens of the sturdy yeomanry of Albion, who have
made the little island so famous in the annals of
the world.

Aaron "Whittemore, the father of the subject of
this memoir, was an attorney by profession, and a
very prominent man in his native State. For
several years he occupied the bench as Judge of the
District Court, and served several terras in the
Lower House of the State Legislature, and two
terms in the State Senate of New Hampshire. He
was also Colonel of the 1 1 th New Hampshire State
Militia for a number of years, and was always
prominently identified with all public matters in
the State. He is still living in Pembroke, retired
from participation'* in the active business of life,
having survived his wife, who died July 11, 1885.
He has been engaged throughout the course of a
busy life in several enterprises besides that of his
profession, principally dealing in lumber. He is a
most estimable man, and is regarded with the
highest respect by the citizens of his native State,



Online Libraryfirm ChapmanPortrait and biographical album of Otoe and Cass Counties, Nebraska, containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 32 of 154)