Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 111 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 111 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


James Warren...


105


Jacob Wyland...


125


Daniel Young....


330


George Yoho



200



Of the foregoing surveys those of George Batchelor
and Peter Bucher, both in Salt Lick, were made in
1785. William Boyd's, called " Spring Hill," situ-
ated on Mounts' Creek, was made in June, 1786, and
was bounded by the lauds of Edward Doyle, Robert
Beall, Lewis Flemming, William Connell, and the
Vance heirs. Doyle's survey was made in January
of the same year, and extended to the lands of Isaac
Meason, Ann Stephens, John Stephenson, and the
Vance heirs. Thomas Flemming had his survey
made in December, 1785.

The survey for John Cumpton was made first in
1769, by Col. Crawford, for Col. Thompson. The re-
survey was made in 1788. The survey made for Alex-
ander Cummings, April 2.3, 1788, was called "Little
Hopes," and the land was described as being one
mile north of the Turkey Foot road, where it crosses
Indian Creek. Both of the last-named surveys are in



BULLSKIN TOWNSHIP.



Springfield. Abraham Dunibauld had a survey made
for four hundred and twenty-five acres, Nov. 21, 1785,
on the "Great Salt Creek," and gave the name of
"Plum Bottoms" to the lands, which are, in part,
now the property of Judge D. W. C. Dumbauld, of
Salt Lick. John Martin's survey, in the same town-
ship, made October, 1785, was called "Additional
Stones." William Norton's survey was made March
12, 1782, and was described as being "on the road to
the salt-works, between the Cranberry Glade and the
falls in Bullskin, north of the land of James Neigh."

John Stephenson's survey, for four hundred and
twelve acres, called "Strict Measure," was situated
on the south side of Jacob's Creek, and surveyed
Dec. 16, 1785, " in consequence of a certificate issued'
by the commissioners for adjusting the claims to un-
patented lands in the Commonwealth of Virginia, in
support of the following voucher : No. 106, Virgina
Survey, Youghagania County."

The survey for George Hogg was made Slarch 3,
1837, locating a warrant of April 4, 1794, granted to
Isaac Meason. The tract was located on the waters
of Mounts' Creek, 'land had on it a furnace, gone to
decay, old houses, sixty acres cleared, a few families
residing thereon, and appear to have been settled
about ferty years ago."-J7

John McLean's survey, called "Fertility," was
made Jan. 8, 1787, for three hundred and thirty-four
acres, on Salt Lick Creek. Christian Perkey had a sur-
vey made on the same stream, on the middle road
from Cherry's to Jones' mill, and situated partly in
Westmoreland County. Survey dated 1789.

Many of these land-owners were actual settlers at
the time the surveys were made, and not a few of
them had lived in the original township of Bullskin
a score of years before the metes and bounds of their
lands were officially determined. In 1788 the follow-
ing were the owners of property :



"Wm. Kobenoy.
Martha Warien.
James Warren.

Nathan Miller.
James Mudole.
Micliaol Dougherty.
Graft Ghost.
Samuel Ilieks.
John Wright.
Edward Doyle.
Wm. Black.
Samuel JiUick.
Thomas Patton.

Casper Etling.
Cornelius Woodruff.
William Woodruff.
Alexander Cummings
Casper Seuff.

Jonathan Cooper.
Andrew Wild.
Adam Shaffer.



Car



Wui. McCormick.
Reason Re.g.n.
Nathan Young.
Zachariah Connell
John Bakersheld.
Mary White.
Adam White.



Charles Bute.
Lewis Fleuimi
Thomas Davis



TI;itfield.



Hobert Fleuimii
lUnry Ray.



Isaac SisFell.
Robert Allison.
Edward Ross.
John Finney.
Philip Jones.
George Bucher.
LudwigShick.
Philip Brinker.
John Kilhcart.
George Rogers.
John Varnon.
Robert Threw.
John Meason.
Elnathan Cory.
Henry Evans.
George Trump.
John AVhite.
Robert Beall.
Hugh Messer.
Ch.arles Fahew.
James Ilempfield.
Jo.'eph Jarvis.
Thomas Shay.



Adam Bungard.
Jacob Lee.
George Batchelor.
John Colpcnny.
James Carnehan.



He



Bork.



Jolm Martin, Jr.
Josejih D.mglas.
Conrad Vnntrim.
Peter Bucher, Sr.
Peter Bucher, Jr.
John Martin. Sr.
Abraham Dumbauld.
Peter Dumbauld.
John McLean.
John Robison.
Daniel McKeredif.



Shadrach Davis.
John Christ.
Joseph Schlater.
Wm. Stewart.
Stephen Joser.
Joseph lluffbaus.
Samuel Lewis.
George Hoover.
Michael Houghnoy
Elizabeth Shannon
Henry Schlater.
David Smith.
Anthony Highland
John Smith.
William Mathews.
Thomas Mathews.
Moses Smith.
John Burton.
John Piper.
Mary Davis.
Charles Coper.
Savy Reagan.
Christian Perkey.
Isaac Meason.
Henry Cleary.
Jacob Snider.
John Hazelton.
Wm. Go..d.
George Truas.
Providence Mounts
Wm. McKee.
Wm. Boyd.
Thomas Mumford.
William Threw.
George Rogers.
Ralph Cherry.
Chri.-tian Lutzog.
John Van Dering.
Jonathan Roland.
Thomas Coyle.
Thomas Phillips.



lith.



Of these the Cherry, Robertson, Doyle,
Davis, McKee, Stewart, and White families were in
the township as early as 1772. Many of the first set-
tlers reinoved at a very early day leaving no descend-
ants, and consequently but little can be said of them.
Ralph Cherry lived on Jacob's Creek, and owned
mills which are yet known as Lobengier's. one of the
owners after Cherry. At the mouth of White's Run,
and partly in the present township of Connellsville, was
the tract of land owned by Providence Mounts, and
adjoining him on the west was Wm. McKee. The
McCormick place was below, in the present township
of Connellsville. Providence Mounts was probably
the earliest of these settlers, and the principal stream
of the township took its name from him. Just be-
low the Bullskin line Mounts had a mill at a very
early day, and wool-carding was carried on at the
same place. Upon the removal of the Mounts family
(who emigrated to Kentucky) the farm became the
property of Stewart H. Whitehill, a son-inlaw of
Wm. Boyd, but in 1826, Alexander Johnstone, a
Scotch-Irishman, became the owner, and later his son.



488



niSTOKY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



John E. Johnstone, owned both mills and the farm.
It is said that the burrs in the original mill were
l)rought from Virginia by a man named Newcomer.
The present mill was built by Mr. Johnstone in 185G.
It is supplied with two runs of stones, and both it and
the saw-mill are kept in successful operation, being
now the property of the heirs of J. R. Johnstone,
who died in December, 1877. East of the Mounts
tract, and in the present township of Bullskin, were
the lands belonging to the White family. The prin-
cipal part of the White farm has been owned since
1S48 by Wm. C. Johnstone, a brother of the forego-
ing. The stream of water south of the place took its
name from Henry White, who had mills on its waters.
This family also removed to Kentucky about the
beginning of the present century.

William Robertson was by birth a Scotchman, and
po-;sesjed to an unusual degree the tenaciousnes^s of
purpose of that race. He removed to Bullskin from
the eastern part of the State about 1770, settling on
Jacob's Creek, below Cherry's, and with that fiimily
liad a wearisome litigation respecting certain land
titles, which were ended only by the death of Robert-
son many years ago. His family then removed to the
West. Andrew Robertson, a brother of William, set-
tled first in Westmoreland County, but some time
about 1800 located at the foot of Chestnut Ridge.
He was married to Betsey Smart and reared a family
of four children, — John, who died in Scotland ; Nancy,
one of the pioneer teachers, who died a maiden ; An-
drew, who settled on the county line, where his family
yet resides ; and Elizabeth, who yet lives near Bridge-
port, as the wife of Asher Walker.

South of William Robertson much of the lands were
claimed by John and Isaac Meason. Tlie latter first
lived near the chain-bridge, in Tyrone township,
removing to Mount Braddock at an early day. He
was the father of Isaac and George Jleason, and a
daughter, who married Daniel Rogers. John Meason
lived on Green Lick Run, on the farm at present
owned by Jacoli Sliank. Upon his death his family
removed fiinii the township.

Graft < !lin>t, 111- Cost, was a German, who served as
a soldier in the French and Indian war in 1755, and
later was with the garrison at Fort Ligonier. Having
obtained a knowledge of this country from his ex-
]ierience in the army, he came to Westmoreland as a
settler, working at his trade,— bell-making. At the
instance of Col. Meason he opened a shop near the
latter's residence, where he iiiadi' 1m 11^ and sharp-
edged tools until he had accmiuilatcd sl'l'OO in Con-
tinental money, which proved wnrllilcss just about
the time he was ready to invest it in land. This
misfortune obliged him to begin life anew, but in
time he secured from Meason 120 acres of land in
Bullskin, and lived near where is now the home of
George Adams. There he died in 1808. His only
child became the wife of John Highlands, who died
on the Gost homestead in 182G, leaving five daughters.



These married, — Christiana, Jesse Atkinson ; Mary,
Robert Fleming, and yet resides near the old home ;
Catharine is the wife of Christian Shank ; Lavina, of
Washington Kelley ; and Sarah married George
Brown, moving to Ohio.

William Boyd came from Virginia some time about
the close of the Revolution, making the journey to
his new home on the west border of Bullskin on pack-
horses. He brought with him several slaves, and six
negro children were registered as being born to these
from 1795 to 1809, namely, Andrew, Millie, Ben,
Prissie, Samuel, and Alexander, but of their subse-
quent history nothing can be here said. Wm. Boyd
was a man of considerable education, and served for
a number of years as a justice of the peace. He died
in 1812, and was interred on his homestead. His
family consisted of eight children, — Thomas, John,
Robert, James, William, Jeremiah, and daughter,
who married Joseph Barnett, of Connellsville, and
Stewart H. Whitehill, who resided on the Mounts
place many years. After 1812, Thomas Boyd lived
on the homestead, where he carried on the distillation
of liquor at an early day. He was a popular man
among his fellow-citizens. Two of his sons, Wil-
liam and Richard Boyd, are yet residents of Bull-
skin. Other sons — John, Randolph, Thomas, and
Rice — have died or removed. Thomas Boyd, Sr., died
in 1855; Jolin Boyd, the second son, died in 1857, at
Connellsville; Robert moved to Menallen townshi]);
James died in Tyrone; William moved to Ohio;
Jeremiah became a physician, and, after living in
Louisiana a number of years, moved to Washington.

Christian Reist, a native of Lancaster County, set-
tled in the Boyd neighborhood about 1800, and died
in 1827. He had three daughters, two of whom
married Thomas Boyd and Simon Roughcorn, and
the third remained single, all of them long since
deceased.

Presley Carr Lane was also a Virginian, who set-
tled on the Henry D. Overhplt place. He was a man
of culture and great gentleness of manner, and, for
those times, quite wealthy. He served in the Legis-
lature with creditable distinction. The family re-
moved to Kentucky before 1830, and the original
homestead has been much divided.

Henry Freed, a native of Bucks County, Pa., after
living a short time in Virginia, settled on Mounts'
Creek about 1785. He died about 1863, aged eighty-
four years, having reared four sons and three daugh-
ters. Jacob, the oldest, married Susan Garver, a
daughter of Martin Garver, a pioneer of Bullskin,
and settled on that part of the homestead now owned
by his sftn Joseph, where he died in August, 1875.
Other sons were Henry, Samuel, and Jonathan, the
former two living on Green Lick Run. Peter, the
second son of Henry Freed, lived and died in Tyrone ;
John, the third, moved to McLean County, 111. ;
Henry, the youngest, lived on the homestead west of
the creek until his death, caused by an accident,



BULLSKTN TOWNSHIP.



489



about ten years ago. The land is now the property
of the Cleveland Rolling-Mills. One of the daugh-
ters married Joseph Beidler, who lived on a farm ad-
joining the homestead; another married Jacob Over-
holt; and the third, Joseph Johnston, of Union town-
ship.

At Pennsville, and north of the village, a large
tract of land was settled early by Peter Newmeyer.
He died in 1836, aged seventy-five years, and was in-
terred in the cemetery at the Baptist Church. His
sons who attained manhood were named Jacob,
David, Samuel, and Jonathan ; and his daugliters
married, — Betsey, Henry Strickler, of Tyrone; Mary,
Christian Newcomer, of Tyrone ; Ann, David Shal-
lenbarger, who lived on the Sherrick place; Rachel,
Abraham Shallenbarger, who lived on the adjoining
farm ; Susan, Henry Arnold, of Connellsville; Hattie
married Edward Riggs ; Jacob Newmeyer married
Ann Shallenbarger, and died in Tyrone ; David moved
to Ohio ; Samuel married Elizabeth Stauffer, and re-
moved to the West ; Jonathan married Mary Strick-
ler, and lived on the home-place until his death, May
15, 1879, at the age of eighty years. None of the
family remain in the township.

Abraham and David Shallenbarger lived on the
fine farms west of Pennsville until their death. The
former had sons named Jacob, John, Abraham, and
David, all deceased. The sons of David Shallenbar-
ger were John, Henry, Abraham, and David. The
Shallenbarger farm is now well known as the home of
A. H. Sherrick, whose family were pioneers in West-
moreland County.

John Shank, a German, after his emigration to
America settled at H.agerstown, removing thence to
BuUskin. He located on Mounts' Creek, building
mills, about the beginning of the century, which oc-
cupied the site of Detweiler's mills. He was a Men-
nonite, and at his death was buried in the Mennonite
graveyard, on the township line between Tyrone.
He had sons named John and Jacob ; and the daugh-
ters married John Stauffer, Martin Myers, who lived
near the Shank place, and Christian Seigfried, of
Westmoreland. Jacob Shank married Nancy Stauf-
fer, and settled a mile north from Pennsville, where
he died in 1845. He was the father of John Shank,
of Ohio ; Henry, of the same State ; and Christian and
Jacob Shank, yet living in the township. The latter
was for many years a journeyman hatter, having
learned that trade of Herman Gebhart, of Connells-
ville. The second son, John Shank, remained single,
and died in the eastern part of the township. The
Shanks have always been sober, steady citizens.

John Stauffer removed to Bullskin from Hagers-
town, Md., settling on a farm in the neighborhood of
the Baptist Church, on which he died. His only son,
John, lived at Mount Pleasant. A grandson, John C.
Stauffer, resides at Pennsville. Other families in the
township bearing this name had a different origin and
made a settlement at a later date.



Farther northeast two brothers, John and Joseph
Rice, made pioneer settlements. John Rice lived
east of the Mount Pleasant road, and was buried on
his homestead. He was the father of Joseph, John,
Abraham, Samuel, Jacob, and David Rice, the latter
two yet living in the locality. His daughters married
into the Kendig family. Joseph Rice lived in the
same locality, and after his death the family removed.

Henry Lane, a native of New Jersey, moved from
that State to Bullskin about 1796, but removed to
Tyrone, where he died in 1821. His sons, James,
Silas, and John, removed to the West, while William
continues a resident of Bullskin. Near the same time,
Asher Walker, also from New Jersey, settled on
Mounts" Creek, but emigrated to Ohio, where he died.
One of his sons, John, is a resident of Tyrone ; and
Asher lives on .Jacob's Creek, in Bullskin.

Alexander Kelley was born in Ireland in 1760, but
eighty years ago settled in Westmoreland County.
Later he made his home north of Pennsville, where
he died in 1850. He had sons named Samuel, George,
John, James, Paul, Washington, and Campbell, the
latter two yet living in the township.

John Troxel, a local preacher of the United Breth-
ren Church, moved from Lebanon County, Pa., and
settled in Westmoreland County about a mile from
Bridgeport. He was the father of Michael and John
B. Troxel, and of daughters, who married Abraham
Pershing, Isaac Persburg, Moses Worman, and Martin
Krider. The latter also came from Lebanon County,
and settled on part of the Troxel lands in Bullskin,
building the stone house and barn on Green Lick
Run. After his death the family removed and the
farm became the property of John B. Troxel, whose
family yet reside there.

Northeast, Daniel Krider improved a farm, and
lived there until his death; thence it became the
property of Michael Farmer, and is now owned by
his son, Robert C. They were pioneers in Tyrone
township.

On the north of Green Lick were the improvements
made by Abraham Pershing. He was born at Derry,
Westmoreland Co., where his parents were among the
first settlers. Part of the Pershing lands are now in-
cluded in Bridgeport, and were first claimed by Thomas
Meason. Abraham Pershing was one of the leading
men of the township, serving many years as justice
of the peace. He died in July. 1880, aged eighty-four
years. He had sons named John, yet living on the
home place ; Daniel H., living on a form next east ;
Isaac, living in California; and his only daughter,
Anna, married Jacob Myers, of Ligonier.

George Brothers, a native of Maryland, and by
trade a cooper, settled on Jacob's Creek in 1805,
purchasing a part of the Wm. Robertson tract. Of
his family, John died on the homestead; George was
killed at the Belle Vernon Furnace; Austin died in
the Rebellion ; Washington, Andrew, and Lafayette
yet live in the township, the latter on the homestead.



490



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



John Shupe, of Bucks County, Pa., settled on Ja-
cob's Creek, on the Westmoreland side, in 1790 or
earlier. He died in 1832. His son Jacob moved to
the Lake Erie country in Ohio; John settled in Bull-
skin, on the farm now owned by bis son, Daniel F.,
where he built mills. He died in 1862, aged eighty-
two years. Two other sons died at Mount Pleasant,
and William Shupe yet resides at Derry, aged ninety-
two years. Their sisters married the Rev. Daniel
Worman and John Shepard.

Coming a little later than some of the foregoing
was Jacob Eshelman, a native of the eastern part of
tlie State. He built oil-mills and other important in-
dustries. Of his family, a son, David, yet lives north
of Shupe's. Eastward, on the Connellsville road,
John Hoke made some substantial improvements on
tlie farm now owned by his son James; and still far-
ther east, near the Andrew Robertson place, Samuel
I-atta was a pioneer. On Green Lick, where now re-
sides Henry Freed, Christian Gardner was an early
and respected settler. He died there, and his femily
removed from the township. Peter Stautfer settled
first near Mount Pleasant, about 1808. One of his
sons, Jacob J., located on the Green Lick, where he
died in 1877. Of his family, Peter is a physician at
Connellsville, Jonathan resides on a ])art of the Kul-
ler place in Bullskin, Henry S. is a minister of the
Evangelical Association, and William B. resides on
the homestead. The daughters married Daniel Wor-
man, J. W. Kinear, Simon Martz, and Samuel Eshel-

John Washabaugh came from Somerset County to
Bullskin about ISl-l, srltliiiL' :it the base of Chestnut
Ridge. He had sons nniinMl .!,,>. |.h, Henry, Thomas,
David, William, and Wa-liiiigt.. II, the latter yet being
a resident of the Green Lick Valley.

In the southern part of the township Thomas At-
kinson was among the first settlers. He had sons
named Jesse (who died on the Martin Detweiler place
in 1840); James, Thomas, Richaril, Charles, John,
Robert, and Alexander, all of whom had removed
from the township before their death.' The only son
of Jesse, George Atkinson, lived east of Pennsville.

Henry Detweiler, a miller, came from Bucks County,
settling in Fayette in 1M20. In 1826 he became the
owner of tlie Shunk mills on Mounts' Creek, where
he died in 1847. His widow then improved the farm
above the Gault school-house, and there <li.'d in ISfxi.
Their children were Samuel ; John S. ; .^Lirtiii, living
in the township; Joseph, who died in 1845; Jacob,
living in Ohio; Mrs. Henry Fritts; and Mrs. George
Atkinson.

Northeast from Detweiler's Jacob Gault was a pio-
neer, but removed to Ohio many years ago. Farther
down Mounts' Creek among the early settlers were
John Smutz, Martin Garver, and westward John
Stockman, the latter being a Dunkard preacher and
a very estimable man. This place is now occupied
bv Jacob J. Stonacker. Near the old State road



Thomas Herbert, a native of New Jersey, settled
some time after 1800, but died at Connellsville. He
had sons named Richard and James. The latter
moved to Ohio, but Richard settled in the southern
part of Bullskin, being a workman at the Findley
Furnace. He died about 1850. One of his sons,
Richard, resides in the Breakneck district, on a farm
which was cleared up by Walter Duncan. In this
locality the Huey and Long families were among the
pioneers.

Soon after the settlement of the townshi]) John
Miner located east of Mounts' Creek, and after a
number of years of residence in that place was found
dead on the hills near his farm, where he had gone
for chestnuts. When discovered he was sitting up-
right against a tree. His only child was John Miner,
born Nov. 30, 1798, and who lived on the farm until
his death. May 14, 1877. He was one of the old-time
justices of the peace, and a connecting link between
the past and the present. Farther south the Kell
farm was improved by Henry Zimmerman, from
whom it passed to Gustavus Kell. Still farther south
on the township line a family by the name of Butter-
more made some of the early improvements, some of
which are in Connellsville township, but none of that
name remain in that locality. Numerous changes in
the ownership of lands have taken place, and many
of those who bore the brunt of opening homes in the
wilds of the semi-mountainous country sought new
homes in the great West, where they had to repeat
the experiences of their pioneer lives. In 1823, after
the final division of the township (Connellsville
having been set off the year before), there were living
in Bullskin the following property-owners, with occu-
pations as indicated opposite their names :



Patrick Adair, tailor.
Thomas Atliinson, farmer,
Jesse Atkinson, old man.
John Allendcr, stone-masi
William Austram, blacksni
William Andrews, farmer.
Frederick Bluclier, "
Jacob Butler, "

Joseph Brooks, "

Abraham Baldwi

saw-mill.
George Biddle, gunsmith.
Hugh Bodle, laborer.
Israel Bigelow, "
Thomas Brooks, farmer.
Jacob Butler, Jr., "
George Banders, "
Joseph Butler. laborer.
Israel Bigelow, Jr., laborer.
Samuel Banders, "

Williiim Burnhara, "
Jacob Barclay, "

Daniel Bryan, weaver.
George Brothers, cooper.
David Bechtold, laborer.
William Butler, "
Robert Bash, farmer.



Tho



yd, coal-bank



cnry



cabinet-



John Cou^hcnour, laborer.

John Culler, faimer.

Adam Culler, laborer,
ner of John Craig, farmer.

Thomas Collins, laborer,
h. Wm. Cunningham, "

Robert Cunningham, laborer.

John Clair, farmer.

Wm. Craig, mason,

Walter Duncan, agent.

James Dclpha, carpenter,

Adam Dcnin, blacksmith.

John B. Droxel, saw-mill.

Henry Etiing, farmer.

Abraham Echard, shoemaker.

Casper Etiing, laborer.

Jacob Eshelman, carding- ma-






aill.



Frank Etiing, labori
Abraham Freed, far
Henry Freed,



BULLSKIN TOWNSHIP.



491



Thomns Flemmins, farmer.


Peter Newmeyer, farmer.


Jacob Freed, "


Abraham Newmeyer, farmer.


John Flack, Sr.,


Martin Newmeyer, tailor.


John Fhvoli, Jr., saw-mill.


John Peppitt, Sr., farmer. |


John Freed, farmer.


John Peppitt, Jr., wagoner.


Feler Freed, saw-mill.


Allen Peppitt, farmer.


Jacob Funk, farmer.


Robert Reed, laborer.


Martin Garver, "


Aaron Reed,


George Garver, shoemaker.


Christian Reist, firmer.


William Gibbons, teacher.


Rufus Ruffcoth, laborer.


AVilliam Gault, weaver.


Daniel Rogers,


James Gray, laborer.


James Rogers, ironmaster.


John Hue.v, millwright.


Edward Reeder, clerk.


John llarstone, farmer.


John Reed, carpenter.


Abra'm llarstone, shoemaker.


John Rist, farmer.


John Harstone, Sr., old man.


Andrew Robertson, farmer.


John Hutchinson, farmer.


John Robertson, "


J. Highlands, cabinet-maker.


AVilliam Robertson, "


H. Havbaugh, basket-maker.


James Robertson, "


Abram Harbaugh, laborer.


John Robison,


Richard Herbert, farmer.


Simon Roughcorn, laborer.


John Hargraves, laborer.


John Rice, farmer. j



Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 111 of 193)