Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 112 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 112 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Charles Hill, blacksmith.


Joseph Rice, "


Robert Huey, constable.


Reoj. Shallenharger, farmer.


John Huey, farmer.


David Shallenharger, "


Robert Huey, "


Abra'm Shallenharger, "


James Haney, laborer.


Henry Shallenbarger, cabinet-


William Jarvis, teacher.


maker.


Arthur Jarvis, miner.


Jacob Sh.allenbarger, tan -yard


David Jenner, collier.


Martin Stephenson, gentle-


David King, wagon-maker.


man.


John Kielwell, collier.


John Shank, farmer.


Joseph Kitheart, grist-mill.


John Stauffer, "


AVilliam Kerr, laborer.


Barbara Sfautfer, widow.


Martin Krider, farmer.


Nathan Shaw, sawyer.


Joseph Kenear, "


David Shallenbarger, gun-


Joseph Long, miller.


smith.


Jacob Long, former.


Eleanor Swink, widow.


John Lane,


David Swink, laborer.


Daniel Laughery, laborer.


Elias Swink,


Joseph Laughery, "


John Stonecker, Sr., mill-


William Laughery, "


wright.


David Lindsey, teacher.


John Smutz, farmer.


John Lobengier, grist-mill.


Jacob Smutz, gunsmith.


Samuel Latta, farmer.


Joseph Smutz, laborer.


Abraham Leatherman, farmer.


John Sionecker, Jr., miller.


Presley Carr Lane, "


Adam Stonecker, grist- and


Richard W. Lane,


saw-mill.


Martin Myers, "


.Tacob Swink, farmer.


John Miner, distillery.


Jacob Strickler, ■'


John Miner, Jr., blacksmith.


George Seehman, saw-mill.


Isaac Meason, furnace and


Jacob Shank, farmer.


grist-mill.


Peter Shafer,


William L. Miller, iron-master.


George Swink, shoemaker.


Jacob Miller, carpenter.


John Shupo, saw-mill.


Cornelius Miller, "


AVilliam Sjiears, farmer.


John McLencn, wagoner.


AVilliam Sowers, "


John Martin, farmer.


David Sowers,


Henry Martin, shoemaker.


Joseph Sterne,


Thomas Meason, laborer.


John Stonecker, potter.


S.amucI Mclntyre, "


John Shallenbarger, farmer.


AVilliam McKelvey, "


Jesse Taylor, stone-mason.


John McNalty,


Andrew Trapp, farmer.


Jonathan Newmeyer, farmer.


Nathan Thomas, "


David Newmeyer, "


Alexander Thomas, farmer.


Samuel Newmeyer, "


Jacob Tinsman, grist mill.



John Taylor, farmer.
Aaron Thorpe, **
George Ullrcy, blacksmith.
John A'an Orden, farmer.
Benjam n AVhaley, "
Stewart H. AVhitehill, farmer.
Henry AVhite, Sr., saw- and

grist mill.
David AVhite, farmer.
John AVashington, farmer.
George AA'ashington, "
Francis AValker, "

Charles AValker, w.agoner.



Jacob AVieland, farmer.
Benjamin AVieland, wagoner,
Thomas AValker, Etone-masoi
Abraham AVolfe, laborer.
James AVoods, farmer.
Nathan AVright, fulling-mill
Abher AValker, farmer.
Abraham AVhitmore, farmer,
Jacob AVclchouse, miller.
John Yates, laborer.
AVilliam Yates, "
John Yates, Jr., laborer.
Henry Zimmerman, farmer.



In 1830 the population was 1231 ; fifty years later,
in 1880, the population had increased to 2731.

CIA'IL ORGANIZATION.
As originally organized by the Court of Quarter
Sessions at the March term, 1784, Bullskin embraced
within its limits the present townships of Salt Lick,
Connellsville, Springfield, and a part of Stewart. The
order defining its bounds was as follows :

" A township beginning at the Broad Ford on the
Youghiogheny River; thence by the line of Tyrone
township to the crossing of Jacob's Creek ; thence up
Jacob's Creek to Cherry's mill ; thence by the road
to Jones' mill to the line of Bedford County ;' thence
by the same to the Youghiogheny River ; thence
down the same to the place of beginning. To be
known by the name of Bullskin township."

Until this time the territory was, for civil purposes,
a part of Donegal township, now wholly in West-
moreland County. It does not appear that a good
reason e.xists why the name Bullskin was bestowed
upon the new townshii), but there is a tradition that
some of the early settlers from Virginia selected it to
r their nativity in lliut State.
It line of the jiiiiiieers north
led an animal of the bovine
ze that its skin, he



commeuKirate tlie piae<'
Another accMiUit says t
of the Youghiogheny k
species of such extraord



claimed, in a spirit of braggadocio, would have cov-
ered the entire country. From Ibis eireunistance the
name was applied to that neighborlii.o.l, and later to
the new township. Attempts have been made to
change .the appellation, but without noteworthy suc-
cess, and the term, though not greatly in favor with
the people, will probably ever be retained to designate
this divison of the county.

In the month of December, 1797, all that part of
Bullskin lying east of the crest of Chestnut Ridge was
I formed into the township of Salt Lick ; and in October,
1822, the southern part of the remaining township
was carved off to constitute the township of Connells-
ville. A motion for such a purpose was made as early
as August, 1816, when the Court of Quarter Sessions
was petitioned to form such a township, and Joseph
Torrance, William Hamilton, and James Paull were
appointed to inquire into the propriety of allowing

• Now Somerset County.



492



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



the request. Had it been granted the newly-made
township would have been styled the " Borongh of
Connellsville." With the idea of division in mind
the court was again petitioned in March, 1822, when
an order was issued to Isaac Meason, Moses Vance,
and Thomas Boyd to act as commissioners to view the
proposed township. On the 4th of June, 1822, their
report was made and approved by the court, although
not fully confirmed until Oct. 31, 1822, when Con-
nellsville township was erected.

The boundary line between Tyrone and Bullskin
being in dispute, the court was petitioned, January,
1831, to appoint commissioners to define the same,
and their report, made March 9, 1831, was approved
and confirmed in October of the same year. This re-
]iort sets forth that " William Davidson, John Fuller,
and Andrew Dempsey, the persons appointed by an
order of this court at the January sessions to view the
township line between Bullskin and Tyrone town-
ships, report the following as the line between the
points aforesaid, viz. : Beginning at the Mennonite
meeting-house, and running thence by the several
courses and distances of a public road, located from
said meeting-house to the Connellsville and Pitts-
burgh road, until it intersects the Connellsville town-
ship line, and thence along said line to the Broad Ford
Run aforesaid, which report being read in the manner
and at the time prescribed by law, the court approves
and confirms the same."

At later periods slight modifications in the boundary
lines of the township were made, yet in essential fea-
tures Bullskin remains the same as when the township
of Connellsville was taken ofl^, containing only a farm
or two less than at that time.

It is impossible to give a complete list of the officers
of the original township of Bullskin, the records of
that period being very meagrely kept, and in some
instances wholly missing, but from various sources it
has been ascertained that William Boyd, John Mea-
son, and George Lamb were among the first justices
of the peace. In 1803 the township was embraced
within tlie limits of Justice District No. 10, " Begin-
ning at the mouth of Jacob's Creek, thence up said
creek to Cherry's mill, by the Westmoreland County
line to the top of Chestnut Ridge, thence by the top
of said ridge to Youghiogheny River, thence down
said river to the mouth of Jacob's Creek, the place of
beginning, containing four hundred and fifty-two
taxables." At this time the justices were " William
Boyd, living near the centre of the township ; John
Meason, near one side ; Matthew Gault, near one si('e ;
and George Mathews, near one side." In 1814, An-
drew Robertson was a justice, and later the township,
in connection with Tyrone and Connellsville, consti-
tuted District No. 11, and the justices were Abraham
Pershing, Henry Gebhart, Henry W. Lewis, and
Matthew Wray. After 1839 the names of the justices
appear in the list below. Among other early officers
of Bullskin were:



1784.— Nathan Young, constable; Henry AVhite and Patrick
Murphy, supervisors of highways ; David Lindsay and
Abraham Gardner, overseers of the poor.
1785.— John White, constable.
1786.— William McKee, constable; Henry White and William

Boyd, road supervisors.
1787. — Lewis Fleuiming, constable ; Providence Mount and

Adam ILitfield, overseers of the poor; Cornelius WoodruCr
and William Robison, supervisors of roads.
17SS.— Isaac White, constable.

1789. — Joseph Jarvis, constable; Henry While and Adam Hat-
field, overseers of the poor ; Zachariah CSnnell and Wil-
liam Robison, supervisors of roads.
1790.— Edward Doyle, constable; William Robison and Henry

White, overseers of the poor; Adam Hattield and George

Batchelor, supervisors of ro-ids.
1791.— John Calhcart (or Kithcart), constable; Craft Gost and

Henry White, overseers of the poor; Andrew Trapp and

John Rist, supervisors of roads.
1792.— John Cathcart, constable; Henry White and Cornelius

Woodruff, overseers of the poor; George Poe and Caleb

Mount, supervisors of roads.
1793.— John Cathcart, constable: Henry White and Cornelius

Woodruff, overseers of the poor; David Bloom and Jacob

Shallenbarger, supervisors of roads.
1794. — David .Shallenbarger, const.tble ; Henry White and

Joseph Rhodes, overseers of the poor; Benjamin Davis and

John While, supervisors of roads.
1795.— William Potter, constable; Henry White and Joseph

Robison, overseers of thf poor; Peter Newmyer and Joseph

Gerron, supervisors of highways.
1796.— John Clary, constable ; Henry White and John Robison,

overseers of the poor; John Stouifer and Francis Marietta,

supervisors of- highways.
1797._John Clary, constable; Henry White .and Samuel Trevor,

overseers of the poor; John Rice and George Batchelor,

supervisors of roads.
1798.— Peter David, constable.
1799-1800.— John Latta, constable; Snmuel Trevor and Henry

White, overseers of the poor; Jolin Barnhart and Joseph

Cathcart, supervisors of roads.
1801. — John Gibson, constable; Benjamin Wells and John

Latta. overseers of the poor: Samuel Trevor and Adam

Crossland, supervisors of roads.
1802.— William MeCormiek, constable; Abraham Shallenbarger

and C:isper Etling, supervisors of roads; Anthony Ban-
ning, Wm. Mifford, Caleb Mount, and John White, auditors.
1803-7.— Jacob Shallenb.argcr, Henry Smith, Jacob Balsey,

and Mathew Duncan, constables; James Blackstone, John

Bernhart, William McCormick, and Stewart H. Whitehill,

auditors.
1808-12.— Robert Huey, Mathew Duncan, and Jacob Shank,

constables. From 1812 until 1840 no satisfactory list of

officers has been obt.aioable. Since the last-named period

the officials have been as follows :
1840.— Ju^tices, Abraham Pershing, Jonathan Newmeyer; Con-
stable, John F. Shape; Assessor, Benjamin Shallenbarger;

Auditor, David Shallenbarger.
1841. — Constable, George Adams; Assessor, Jeremiah Abrams ;

Auditor, David Pollen.
1842.— Constable, Richard Crossland: Assessor, Joseph Beidler;

Auditor, Abraham Pershing.
1843.- Constable, Washington Kelley ; Assessor, William Boyd ;

Auditor, Nathaniel Hurst.
1844.— Constable, Washington Kelley ; Assessor, John B.

TroxeU; Auditor, John Miner.



BULLSKIN TOWNSHIP.



493



18J 5.— Justices, Abraham Pershing, John Miner; Constable,


lS77.-ConstabIe, Thomas HoUe; Auditor, 11. Iluebentliall.


Paul Kclley; Assessor, David Rice; Auditor, John Shupe.


1878.— Justice, James Echard ; Constable, Thomas Ilolve; As-


1846.— Constable, Joseph A. Marietta; Assessor, Francis An-


sessor, Andrew Half hill; Auditor, John StillwaRon.


drews ; Auditor, Henry D. Overholt.


lS79.-Constable, James Caldwell ; Assessor, Solomon Keffer;


1847.— Constable, Joseph A. Marietta; Assessor, Joseph Stauf-


Auditor, Dnniel H. Pershing.


fer; Auditor, John Andrews.


ISSO.— Constable, James Caldwell; Assessor, Lewis Brothers;



1848. — Constable, Samuel Johnston; Assessor, Jonathan Car-
ver; Auditor, Wm. Boyd.

1849.— Constable, Thomas Hoke: Assessor, Christopher R.
Stonecker; Audito-, Samuel D. Detweiler.

1850. — Justices, John Miner, Abraham Pershing; Constable,
Thomas Hoke; Assessor, Martin Bechtold; Auditor, John
H. Andrews.

1851.— Constable, Martin Bechtold; A.«sessor, Thomas Hoke;
AuditJr, John H. Stoner.

1852.— Constiible, Martin Bechtold; Assessor, Conrad Bowers;
Auditor, John Miner.

1853.— Constable, Martin Bechtold; Assessor, Joseph A. Ma-
rietta: Auditor, A. P. Lohr.

1854._Constable, Martin Bechtold ; Assessor, William Moody ;
Auditor, Rice Boyd.

1855.— Justice, Christopher R. Stonecker ; Constable, Jonathan
Cable; Assessor, Rice Boyd; Auditor, Jacob Overholt.

1856.- Constable, John S. Buttermore: Assessor, John W.
Stoner; Auditor, Aaron Coughenour.

1857.— Constable, Martin Bechtold; Assessor, Abraham Per-
shing; Auditor, Joseph Andrews.

1858.— Constable, Melchor Miller; Assessor, Jacob H. Echard ;
Auditor, Jacob Mathias.

1859. — Const.able, Amzi Stauffer; Assessor, Martin Bechtold;
Auditor, Wm. Boyd.

1S60.— Constable, John W. Stauffer; Assessor, Aaron Coughe-
nour; Auditor, Horatio L. Sparks.

1861.— Constable, A. B. Halfhill; Assessor, Solomon Kiefer;
Auditor, John F. Stoner.

1862.— Constable, A. B. Halfhill; Assessor, George Etling;
Auditor, Jacob Crnpp.

1863.- Constable, Andrew S. Halfhill ; Assessor, Melchor Mil-
ler; Auditor, Thomas Hoke.

1864.— Constable, Campbell Kelley; Assessor, Rice Boyd;
Auditor, Daniel Pershing.

1865. — Justices, Abraham Pershing and John Miner; Consta-
ble, Andrew Halfhill ; Assessor, Henry Huebcnthal ; Audi-
tor, Jacob J. Shank.

1866.— Justice, David B. Gl.issburner; Constable, M. B. Caudy ;
Assessor, Jonathan Stauffer; Auditor, Daniel F. Shupe.

1867.— Constable, M. B. Caudy; Assessor, Thomas S. Butter-
more ; Auditor, A. H. Sherrick.

1868. — Constable, Washington Brothers ; Assessor, David Work-
man ; Auditor, John Pershing.

1869.— Constable, Elias Swiuk ; Assessor, Daniel H. Pershing;
Auditor, Abraham H. Hoke.

1869, October. — Justice, John Miner; Constable, Elias Swink ;
Auditor, David F. Stoner.

1870.— Constable, John S. Stillwagon ; Assessor, David Work-
man ; Auditor, Daniel H. Pershing.

1872. — Constable, John S. Stillwagon; Assessor, Jacob K.
Shank; Auditor, Jacob J. Stonecker.

1873.— Constable, James M. Wilson; Assessor, H. D.Rice;
Auditor, Richard Boyd.

1874.— Constable, John S. Stillwagon ; Assessor, Aaron Coughe-
nour : Auditor, A. Reece.

1875.— Justice, John .Miner; Constable, John S. Detweiler;
Assessor, Robert Wilson; Auditor, John F. Stoner.

1876.— Jusiiee, Andrew P. Logan; Constable, John S. Det-
weiler; Assessor, Levi Brothers; Auditor, Amzi Miner.
3:i



Auditor, Jacob J. Stonecker.
1881.— Justice, A. P. Logan; Constiible, John Wright; As-
sessor, Jacob Eohard; Auditor, James Caldwell; Road Su-
pervisors, P. B. Ragan, J. AViltrout, M. Bechtel, and W.
P. Kelley.

In 1847 the people of Bullskin were askeii to vote
oil the liquor question, and ninety-nine voters de-
clared themselves in ftivor of permitting its sale in
the township, but thirteen voters being opposed. But
in 1873 a contrary sentiment was shown, only thirty-
two voting in favor of license, while one hundred and
thirty e.xpressed themselves opposed to the sale of
liquor in any form.

The celebrated Braddock road runs along the
southwestern bounds of the townshij), and in early
times was the highway to the Youghiogheny and the
older settlements to the Northwest. Soon other roads
were located, and in 1784 the court was petitioned for
a road from Cherry's mill to Uniontown. Joseph
Torrance, John Mintor, Providence Mounts, Adam
Hatfield, Samuel McLean, and James Rankin were
appointed viewers. The following year the road from
Col. Cook's landing to Cherry's mill was ordered.
The road from James Rankin's to Casper Etling's
was reported on June, 1797, the width to be thirty-
three feet. The road from Alexander Long's planta-
tion to White's Mill was reported on the same court,
the width to be eighteen feet.

In March, 1786, Zachariah Connell petitioned for
a road " from Uniontown to Jones' road, on the
Laurel Hill, between Cherry's and Jones' mills, and
Uriah Springer, Providence Mounts, Henry Schlater,
Samuel Work, Samuel McClean, and William McKee
appointed viewers." The June sessions decreed that
it be cut, cleared, and bridged, thirty feet wide.

The road from the Bedford County line to the
Westmoreland line was ordered in September, 1789,
to be opened, thirty-three feet wide. William Rob-
ertson, William Kern, Benjamin Whaley, Jacob
Strickler, and Isaac White were the viewers.

In April, 1809, the road from Casper Etling by
John Pluck's mill, to the Mount Vernon Furnace was
ordered, with Casper Etling, James Francis, James
Rogers, Jonathan Mayberry, William Boyd, and
Daniel Rogers as viewers.

The road from Jacob Thorpe's to the road from
Lobengier's Mill to Connellsville was ordered in De-
cember, 1804, with Peter Newmeyer, John Rice, John
Latta, William Robertson, Joseph Kithcart, and John
Miner as viewers.

Many other roads were located about this period,
but no further account of them can here be given.
In general the highways of the township have been



494



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



well ordered, and the roads are usually quite passable,
the streams being well bridged. Since 1871 the town- I
ship has had railway communication. That year the ,
Southwest Pennsylvania Railroad was built through [
its territory, opening up its fine coal-fields and giving
speedy access to Pittsljurgh and the Eastern cities.
The main line in Bullskin is about five miles, and
sidings and flag-stations have been provided at Penns-
ville and Moyer's. Eunning up the Green Lick Val-
ley is a narrow-gauge railway two and a half miles
long, running from Scottdale to the ore hills along
Chestnut Kidge, which has been in operation several

years.

GEXER.4L INDUSTRIES.

The streams of Bullskin yielding constant power
have long been the motors for numerous mills, fac-
tories, and shops. Beginning with the lower power
on Jacob's Creek, David Hough built a mill where is
now Bridgeport as early as 1804, erecting the founda-
tion on which now stands Snyder's Mill. Previously
a saw-mill had been operated several hundred yards
below by a man named Jarvis, a long raceway leading
from a small dam to the mill. Robert McCall was
the second owner of the power, and from him it passed
in order to Jacob Tinstman and Jacob Welshouse,
Isaac Shupe being a partner of the latter a short
time. In 1836 the grist-mill was repaired by D. P.
Patterson for the latter firm, but fourteen years later
the property passed into the hands of the present
owner, William Snyder, who put up the mill now in
operation in 1864. It is a frame, thirty-six by forty-
eight feet, three and a half stories high, and is sup-
plied with a hydraulic water-engine invented by
Williiuu Snv'Kr, wliirh trroatlv economizes the water
supply, wh '
year. The
On th,- Wr
saw-mill, iv
distillerie-;
and on the



irh can lie relied upon eight months jier
rrniuiiuU'i- of the time steam is the motor.
:-tiiH Ireland side below the same dam is a
peiateil by William Snyder, and formerly
were here carried on by David Hough,
Bullskin side by Jacob Welshouse. The
latter building is yet standing near the mill.

Near the residence of Daniel F. Shupe, John and
Jacob Shupe had a small saw-mill and a trip-ham-
mer for doing small forge-work about 1810. The
power was abandoned, and in 1831 the present power
was improved by John Shupe, tlie grist-mill also
being erected that year. It had originally three run
of stones, but at present has but two. From John
Shupe the property passed into the hands of his son
George, thence to the latter's son, Albert, who sold to
the present owner, David G. AmU r^mi. Here is also
a circular-saw mill of good eainuity, :inil Imth mills
can be operated by steam in ca^e of the failure of
water.

Several miles above is the oldest water-power on
Jacob's Creek within Bullskin. It was improved by
Ralph Cherry in tlie time of the Revolution, and had
a wide reputation, although but a rude mill. The
Cherry interests became tlie projierty of John Loben-



gier, about the beginning of the present century, and
the stone mill now standing in Westmoreland County
was built by him about eighty years ago, Thomas
Hoke performing the mason-work. Subsequently the
mill was owned by Jacob Lobengier and his son
Jacob, but is at present the property of Peter Keim's
heirs. Below this mill, Jacob Lobengier has a saw-
mill in Bullskin, and a tannery on the Westmoreland
County side. The latter's residence was formerly in
Bullskin, but a resurvey has placed it out of the
county.

Near the mouth of Green Lick Run, .Tohn B. Troxel
had a saw-mill sixty years, ago, and the framework
of an old mill yet stands there. Farther up on the
same stream, on the present Samuel Freed place,
Jacob Eshelman had a small grist-mill, and before
182.3 an oil-mill and carding machinery. Subse-
quently George Yoder made linseed oil at this place.
Upon the removal of the machinery a fulling-mill
was established by Levi Haigh. He also made
cloths, spinning and dyeing his wool as well as weav-
ing it. The building last contained machinery for
hulling clover. The power has long .since been aban-
doned, but a part of the old race remains to indicate
the spot where so much activity was displayed years
ago. After Haigh left this building he established
himself on the upper waters of Green Lick, where he
carried on a woolen-factory, but that interest declin-
ing, he supplied machinery for making matched shin-
gles. Between these two points Nathan Wright had
a fulling-mill before 1823, but the place has long
since been given over to other uses. Still farther
down the stream Jacob Stauflfer built a saw-mill,
which has been owned and operated by Henry S.
Stauflfer, and is at present the property of Jonathan
Stauff^er. Yet lower down the stream a saw-mill has
been operated the past fifty years by the Freed family,
but is at this time (April, 1881) the property of W.
Merritt. In the same neighborhood is a tannery,
which was established more than a score of years ago
by H. L. Sparks, and which, after having many
owners, is now operated by John Gance. The pro-
duct is limited, and consists of unfinished leather.
Formerly a currier was employed, and splendid
leather produced.

On Spruce Run the Fhick family had mills very
early, soon after 1800, and afterwards a carding-
machine and fulling-mill was operated by the power.
The property passed into the hands of Jacob Sweit-
zer, but its use for manufacturing purposes had long
since been discontinued, although the building yet
remains.

Near the head-waters of Mounts' Creek, D. H.
Pershing has in successful operation a good saw-mill,
which has cut up a large quantity of the mountain
timber in that locality. Down the same stream,
Joseph Kithcart built saw- and grist-mills about 1790,
the latter being a log structure. The present mills
were built by Joseph Andrews about 1853. It is a



BULLSKIN TOWNSHIP.



495



frame of good proportions, and the mills have both
water and steam as motors. Andrews was succeeded
by Emanuel Mason; thence by Isaiah Coughenour;
tlience by C. A. Ebersole, and since October, 1880,
the mills have been owned and operated by James
Alexander Long. There are two runs of stones, and
the saw-mill has a feir capacity. At these mills
Solomon E. Swink opened a general store in Jan-
uary, 1881. John Stonecker had a pottery here about
1820, which was carried on about a dozen years.

More than a mile farther down the stream Adam
Hatfield made a claim in 1780, receiving a patent for
the land in 1795. That year he sold it to John
Shank, who built mills there, which were operated
by him until 1816, when Adam Stonecker became
the owner; thence, in 1824, Samuel Trevor; thence,
in 1826, Henry Detweiler; and since 1847 Samuel
Detweiler has operated the mills. The second mill
on the site was put up by Henry Detweiler in 1834,
and stood until it was consumed by fire, Sept. 26,
1864. The present mill was gotten in operation in
November, 1865, by Samuel Detweiler. It is a frame,
40 by 50 feet, four stories high, and the motor is both
water and steam, the combined power being equal to
thirty horses. Steam was supplied in 1851. The
mill has three runs of .stones and modern machinery,
being equal in its appointments to any mill in the



Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 112 of 193)