Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 156 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 156 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Mary. John married and lived on the old home-
stead, dying there when fifty-two years of age. His
wife was a daughter of Col. Thomas Gaddis. Of their
several children, John, the eldest, is still living on the
old place, and is eighty-three years of age. George,
who never married, went to Ohio to live, and died
there. Isaac married, lived, and died near his father's
home, and left a family of five children. Rachel and
Ann married and removed from the State. Sarah be-
came the wife of Samuel Sutton, son of Moses Sutton.
They lived on the farm one mile southwest of the
Redstone Coke- Works, which has since been owned
by John Hagan. Mary McCoy married Thomas
Brownfield, son of Charles Brownfield. The farm on
which they lived is now owned by their son, Isaac
Brownfield. William McCoy became a Baptist min-
ister. He was married in Uniontown, and in 1780
removed to Kentucky. His son Isaac, born in this
place in 178.3, became a noted Indian missionary.
He was but six years of age when, with his parents,
he removed to Kentucky. While living there in
1803 he also married, and very soon after emigrated
to Fort Wayne, Ind., to preach and labor among the
Indians.

On Oct. 17, 1817, he received from the United
States Baptist Board of Missions an appointment as
a missionary. In compliance with the request of Dr.
Turner, the Indian agent, Mr. McCoy, in 1820, settled
at Fort Wayne, Ind., and May 29th of that year opened
a school numbering twenty-five scholars, — ten Eng-
lish, six French, eight Indians, and one negro. March
12th of the next year the number had increased to
thirty-nine Indian scholars. Being authorized to
select a site to establisli a mission, after nuu-h thought
and many examinations Mr. McCoy cliose a tract in
Michigan, one mile s(iuarr, cm the suuth side of the
St. Joseph River. On Aug. 29, 1821, a treaty was
made by the government with the Indians li.r tlir
transfer of this land, which was ratified March 2'i,
1822, and July 16th of the same year Mr. McCoy re-
ceived an appointment from Gen. Cass to take charge
of this Indian mission. On October 9th following a
company of twenty-two persons left Fort Wayne for
the new station on the St. Joseph River, where they
were to erect buildings, clear the land, and make



other improvements for the growth and development
of the " Carey Mission." On December 9th of the
same year a train of thirty-two persons, three wagons
drawn by oxen and one drawn by horses, and having
■with them five cows and fifty hogs, left the old school
at Fort Wayne for the new home. They arrived at
their destination safely, and the first report made to
the government, dated July 1, 1823, announced sixty
acres of land cleared. In 182.5 came the report that
two hundred acres had been inclosed, thirty acres
were in corn, three hundred peach-trees were growing
finely, and a flouring-mill was in operation. With
all this advancement the sale of whisky by the
traders to the Indians outside of the mission tract
caused so much trouble that Mr. McCoy was induced
to seek another place for the mission. He studied
thoroughly the Indian question, and wrote a work
entitled " Remarks on Indian Reform." The prin-
cipal design of this work was to show the practica-
bility of the meditated reform, and suggested measures
to be adopted for its accomplishment. He says,
" We discovered that our Indians could not possibly
prosper when they knew they had no settled resi-
dence, and when the influx of the white population,
and with it the introduction of floods of ardent
spirits, had already added discouragements to their
spiritless minds." On Sept. 15, 1826, a treaty was
held with the Pottawatamies on the Wabash, at which
there was granted to fifty-eight Indians, by descent,
" scholars in the Carey Mission" school on the St.
Joseph, under the direction of Rev. Isaac McCoy,
one-quarter section of land to be located by the
President of the United States.

In 1827, yir. McCoy left the station to visit New
York, Philadelphia, and Washington on business
connected with the Indian interests. He held inter-
views with the President and Commissioner of Indian
Affairs with a view to getting a territory for the In-
dians setofl^, and in this effort he was successful. The
land and improvements of the "Carey Mission" were
appraised and sold, and the school gradually declined.
Mr. McCoy and Mr. Lykins, his son-in-law, were in-
structed to visit the region west of Missouri and Ar-
kansas to inspect and report upon the condition of
the country there, and select a suitable location for a
mission. The tract of land on which the " Shawnee
Mission" house in the Indian Territory is located was
selected, and Aug. 11, 1833, the little band that was
left of the " Carey Mission" gathered there and or-
ganized a church. The whole of Mr. McCoy's long
lifi- was a constant endeavor to soften and civilize the

The >^utton family of five brothers, all Baptist min-
isters, came to this county as early as 1770, and after
that date all located land here. The property of
Isaac and Moses Sutton was south of the present vil-
lage of Monroe, adjoining that of John Hopwood,
Jeremiah Cook, and James McCoy. Moses Sutton
was one of the i)urchasers of the residence of Charles



NORTH UNION AND SOUTH UNION TOWNSHIPS.



Brownfield, and in 1788 he was assessed upon a dis-
tillery as his property. Isaac Sutton was one of the
early ministers of Great Bethel Baptist Church at
Uniontown. James Sutton settled in Georges town- j
ship, but afterwards removed to Amwell township,
Washington Co., Pa., where, in the year 1774, he was
pastor of the Ten-Mile Baptist Church. ,

Jeremiah Gard owned a tract of land in this town-
ship some time before 1780. It contained two hun-
dred and forty-eight acres, and was located next to
the farm of Thomas Gaddis. In 1791, Mr. Gard built !
a mill on Redstone Creek, which is still standing, and
is known as the Hutchinson mill. He was also en-
gaged in the manufacture of scythes, and served as a j
private in the Crawford expedition. He died upon
this place, and left three sons, — Daniel, Simeon, and
Jeremiah. They all settled near their father and
lived here for many years, but after his death removed
to the West.

On Nov. 29, 1783, George Troutman purchased of
Charles Brownfield thirty-nine acres of land, a por-
tion of the property Brownfield sold upon his removal
to Kentucky. The regular survey of the transfer-
ranee of this property was not made to Mr. Troutman '
until March 2, 1786, at which time there was also I
surveyed to him, under a warrant issued from the
land-office Feb. 23, 1786, another tract of land con-
taining one hundred and twenty-three acres. Later
he purchased still more land, and July 16, 1791, he
sold one hundred and sixty-two acres to Jonathan j
Gray, whose descendants still occupy the property.
In the year 1788, George Troutman was running a
distillery.

The name of Job Littell appeared upon the assess-
ment-roll of Union township in 1785, as being assessed '
upon a tract of land containing fifty acres. From
that time his taxable property increased, and in 1788
he was assessed upon a saw-mill ; in 1796 upon a saw-
mill, grist-mill, and a house; and in 1798 upon six
hundred and thirty-nine acres of land. On Nov. 22,
1802, Job Littell purchased of the commissioners of
Fayette County, for the unpaid taxes of 1799-1800,
a tract of land of three hundred acres, "situate on
the branch of Redstone Creek south of Uniontown."
A portion of Job Littell's property was given the
name of "Job's Hollow." In this is still visible the
ruins of an old mill, with a half-filled race, the old ;
mill-stones, moss-covered and gray, lying in the debris '
and surrounded by a thicket of underbrush, while the
stone house, which was built upon an adjacent hill,
has also crumbled and fallen to the ground.

Samuel Littell was a son of Job and Elizabeth Lit-
tell. His son Alonzo is now a resident of Cleveland,
Ohio, and was for several years editor of The Genius
of Libert;/, of Uniontown. Elizabeth, the daughter
of Job and Elizabeth Littell, married John Custead,
and with her husband lived in this section. In May,
1819, John Custead advertised that he had "added
to his trade of Cabinet-Making that of Making and ^



Painting Signs," his place of business being three
miles south of the borough of Uniontown, near Lit-
tell's mill. When Job Littell purchased his property
I there was reserved an acre of ground for a burial-
place, in which himself and wife and John and Eliz-
abeth Custead are buried. Mr. Littell died in 1824,
i aged eighty-one years, and his wife in 1838, aged
eighty-eight years. Other graves are found in this
burying-ground, but none are marked save by a com-
mon field-stone at the head and foot.

Samuel Work was assessed in 1785 on a tract of
200 acres of land. In the names of property-holders
in 1793 appears that of Esther Work, undoubtedly
the widow of Samuel, assessed upon 188 acres. Rob-
ert, Andrew, John, and Alexander Work were as-
sessed as single men. Shortly after this, however,
Alexander Work was assessed upon a grist-mill in
Menallen township. About the year 1817 he built a
mill in Union township (now South Union), which
is still standing, and is known as the Barton mill.

In 1785, Jeremiah Cook was assessed upon property
consisting of sixty-three acres of land, a saw-mill and
a grist-mill. In 1791 a distillery was added to the
above amount of property, and all of it was assessed
to him in Union township. In 1793, Richard Stur-
geon was assessed upon one hundred and fifty-nine
acres of land, a grist-mill, saw-mill, and a fulling-
mill, also in Union. From what can be learned
both of these men seem to have carried on consider-
able business here, and to have remained here several
years, but no information can be gained as to what
section of the township of Union they lived in.

In February, 1788, William Campbell came to this
section and purchased a tract of land of one hundred
and four acres of Henry Beeson, upon which the for-
mer settled in 1768. In 1789, Mr. Campbell took out
a warrant for two hundred and seventeen acres of
land in Union, in the survey of which he desired to
include the land he had previously purchased of Mr.
Beeson. It was all surveyed to him in the manner
desired, and is now in the possession of E. B. Daw-
son and Nathaniel Brownfield. In 1788, Mr. Camp-
bell was proprietor and conductor of a distillery,
which was situated on the tract of one hundred and
four acres purchased of Henry Beeson. The follow-
ing is a verbatim copy of a marriage certificate given
in Mr. Campbell's family in 1790. The original cer-
tificate is written on parchment, in a large, bold, and
beautiful style of penmanship. The copy is here
given as of interest in this connection :

" ^yllerens Abel Campbell, son of William .and Mary Camp-
bell, of Union Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and
Susanna Dixon, daughter of William and Rebecca Dixon, of
Menallen township, county aforesaid, having declared their in-
tentions of marriage with each other, before several Monthly
Meetings of the People called Quakers at Westland, according
to the good order used among them; and having Consent of
Parties concerned, their said proposals were allowed of by the
said meetings. Now these are to certify whom it may concern,
that for the full accomplishing of their said Intentions, this



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUiNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



Sixth Day of the Tenth Jlontb, in the Year of our Lord, one
thousand seven hundred and ninety ; they, the said Abel Camp-
bell and Susanna Dixon, appeared in a public meeting at Red-
stone, and the said Abel Campbell taking the said Susanna
Dixon by the Hand, did in solemn manner openly declare that he
took the said Susanna Dixon to be his Wife ; jiromisiiig through
Divine Assistance to be to her a loving and faithful Husband,
until Death should separate them: and then and therein the same
Assembly, the said Susanna Dixon did in like manner declare that
she took the said Abel Campbell to be her Husband ; promising
through Divine Assistance to be to him a loving Faithful Wife,
until Death should separate them ; or words to that import.
Moreover, they the said Abel Campbell and Susanna (she ac-
cording to the Custom of Marriage Assuming the surname of
her Husband) as a further confirmation thereof, did then and
there to these presents set their Hands. Signed, Abel Camp-
bell, Susanna Campbell. And we, whose names are hereunto
subscribed, being present at the solemnization of said Marriage
:ind Subscription have as Witnesses thereto set our Hands the
Day and Year above Written. Sarah Sanem.s, Mary Coope,
Kebekah Jackson, John Coope, Ruth Crawford, Margaret Craw-
ford, Mary Campbell, Abel Campbell, Rachel Hammond, Jonas
Cottell, Orr Garwood, Joshua Hunt, Sarah Cadwallader, Eliza-
heth Cottell, Esther Cottell, Mary Walton, Rachel Cottell, Mar-
ing Harleu, Thomas French, Nimrod Gregg, Thou)as Irain, Jo-
seph, Benjamin Townscnd, William Wilson, AVilliam Silver-
horn, John Cadwallader, John McCaddon, John Graves, Jacob
Downard, Jesse Beeson, Thomas Townsend, George llarleu,
Benj. Harleu, Junr., Isaac Johnson, George Hackney, Samuel
Gregg. John Mason, Nathaniel Sanems, William Dixon, Re-
bekah Dixon, Wm. Campbell, Jr., Mahy Campbell, Junr., James
Campbell, William Dixon, Junr., Charles Gouse, Ebcnezer
Walker, Rachel Walker, George Walker, William Whiteside."

In the year 1804 the name of John Barnes is given
on the assessment-roll as a coppersmith. In 1807 a
shop was built on the Thomas Gard property by James
Barnes for the manufacture of sickles.

It was frequently related by Mr. Basil Brownfleld,
who died in South Union in August, 1881, at tlie age
of eighty-six years, that about twenty years ago he
was told by Judge Friend, of Garret County, Md.,
that his (Judge Friend's) grandfather was a great
hunter and an acquaintance and friend of Daniel
Boone, the pioneer of Kentucky, and tliat upon one
occasion, being out on a hunting expedition with
Boone, they crossed the Laurel Hill in what is now
Fayette County and bivouacked for the night by a
fine spring at or near the spot where Gaddis Fort was
built nearly twenty-five years later. Here at daylight
the next morning they were surprised and captured
by a party of French and Indians, by whom they
were disarmed, robbed of everything they had but
their clothes, and taken to the summit of Laurel
Hill, where they were dismissed with the admonition
never to be again found west of the mountain on
penalty of death by torture. This, Judge Friend
said, was told to him by his grandfather, who placed
the date of the adventure at about 1750.

ERECTION, BOUNDARIES, AND LIST OF OFFICERS.

The erection of South Union township by act of

General Assembly, March 11, 1851, has already been



noticed in connection with North Union, which was
erected at the same time from the territory of old

j LTnion. The township of South Union lies wholly on
the southwest side of the old National road, which
forms its boundary against North Union. Its other
boundaries are Whartou township on the southeast,
Georges on the southwest, and Menallen on the west
and northwest. Its population by the last census
(1880) was eleven hundred and seventy-seven, includ-
ing the village of Monroe.

The list (nearly complete) of the principal town-
ship officers of South Union from its formation until

I the present time is given below, viz. :

JUSTICES or THE PE.U'E.



1855. Abram Hayden.
j 1856. John McCoy.

James Piper.
' 1S61. Hiram Miller.

Benjamin F. Ham.
I 1862. Thomas Calhoun.

1866. Chauncey B. Hayden.
Thomas Seman.

B. F. Hellen.

1867. Samuel Shipley. •

j ISil. James H. Springe
1 1S53. Isaac Brownfleld.
j Samuel Hatfield.

1856. Thomas H. Fenn.

1857. Thomas Seman.

1858. H. C. Jefifries.

1859. Jefifries Hague.
1861. Abraham Hayden

j lSfi2. Henry Sutton.
ls6:i. Calvin Mosier.
1 S64. Ezra Seman,

1865. Robert Hagan.

1866. George Yeagley,



1868. Robert McDowell.
Alexander Black.

1869. Isaac Marest.

1872. George W. Folke.

1873. John S. Dawson.

1874. Ellas Freeman.

1875. Thomas Seman.
1878. John Custead.

1880. William W. Canan.

1881. Jesse Reed.



AUDITOliS.

1867. Henry Sutton.

1868. Noah Brown.
1S69. Henry Sutton.

Louis S. Williams.
1870. John Brownfleld.

1876. William Parshall.
David S. Richie.
Perry G. White.

1877. Isaac Brownfleld.
Joseph Hopwood.

1878. Joseph Hopwood.
David S. Richie.

1881. Charles L. Smith.



. Calvin Springer.

, John Sackett.

-54. Isaac Hutchinson.

. I. A. Hague.

, John F. Foster.

, Henry Sutton.

-61. Wm.D.Nesmith.

Thomas Calhoun,
, Samuel Hatfleld.

Thomas Calhoun.
-66. James Hutchinson.



1867-69. Calvin Mosier.
1870. James Hutchinson.

1873. William E. Chick.

1874. Clark E. Ilutchins.

1875. Calvin Mosier.
1877-78. William E. Chick.

Calvin Mosier.
1879. William N. Canan.
1S80. William T. Kennedy.
1881. Josiah V. Williams.



SCHOOLS,

The first school in the township of South Union
was taught on the Hellen Hill farm, adjoining the
Peter Hook farm ; another very early school was
taught on the Benjamin Brownfleld farm. Oliver
Sproull (who was a sergeant in Col. Hamtramck's
regiment) was a teacher here for about twenty years
in the early days.

In 1857 the county superintendent's report showed
that there were then in this township four schools
under five teachers and 278 school children. The



NORTH UNION AND SOUTH UNION TOWNSHIPS.



nmount of tax levied for school purjioses was $618.
The report of the school year of 1880-81 shows 242
pupils and five teachers. Total expenditure for school
purposes, $1088.15 ; valuation of school property,
$6000.

The township is divided into five school districts,
called Hatfield, Monroe, Hutchinson, Hague, and
Poplar Lane. The list of school directors from the
formation of the township to the present time is as
follows, as shown by the election returns, viz. :





SCHOOL DIRECTORS.


1851


Charles G. Turner.


1866


Jefferson A. Hague.




Abraham Hayden.


1867


Thomas Seman.


IS62


Samuel Hutchinson.




John Snvder.




Isaac Wiggins.




John Ring.




John Hague.




Isaac Hutchinson.


1853


Charles «. Turner.


1868


Julius Shipley.




Henry Sutton.




John Johnson.


1S54


Samuel Hatfield.


1869


Porter Craig.




Emmanuel Brown.




Robert Hagan.


1855


Isaac Wiggins.




Julius Shipley.




William Custead.


1870


Julius Shipley.


1856


Charles G. Turner.




Noah Brown.


1857


Evan Moore.


1873


Charles L. Smith.




Tobias Sutton.




Jesse Reed.


1858


Thomas Seuian.


1874


H. C. Jeffries.




Charles G. Turner.




Isaac Hutchinson.


1859


Isaac Wiggins.


1875


Francis M. Seman.




Isaac Hutchinson.




Joseph I. Johnson.


1861


M. Fell.


1876


John Brownfield.




Benjamin F. Hellen.




James Laughead.




Basil Brownfield.


1877


H. C. Jeffries.


1862


Robert Bailey.




Jacob M. Beeson.




Christopher Riffle.


1878


T. P. Eicher.


1S6.3


Alfred Brown.




John Davis.




Thomas Seman.


1879


James A. Laughead


1864


John Snyder.




Isaac A. Brownfield




Robert Hagan.




Robert T. Sutton.


1865


Mahlon Fell.




Alfred Brown.




Joseph Johnson.


1880


Jacob M. Johnson.


1866


John C. Johnson.


1881


Elijah Hutchinson.




Samuel Hatfield.




Addison C. Brant.




Calvin Mosier.







THE REDSTONE COKE-WORKS.

Tlie.se works, owned and operated by J. W. Moore
& Co., are situated about three miles south of Union-
town, near the railroad leading from that town to
Fairchance. The property embraces about six hun-
dred acres of land, with a frontage of nearly two miles
along the line of the railroad. A part of this land
was purchased in 1880, and the construction of ovens
then commenced. On the 1st of May, 1881, seventy-
five were completed, and ninety-five have since been
added. It is the intention of the owners to increase
the number to three hundred.

The mine is entered by a slope or " dip-heading,"
with a grade of one foot in twelve, and has been ex-
tended to six hundred feet. Three hundred feet from
the entrance is the first flat-heading, which extends
southward, and from this another runs parallel with
the slope-heading.



Several blocks of houses, each containing eight
rooms, and intended for use of the miners, have been
built at the works. A large brick store building has
also been erected. Two stone-quarries have been
opened on the property near the oven-beds. The
location of the works is near the head of a mountain
stream, which furnishes an abundant supply of pure
water. The coke manufactured here is contracted for
by J. D. Spearman Iron Company, in Mercer County,
Pa.

CHICAGO AND COXNELLSVILLE COKE COMPANY'S
WORKS.

The land on which the works of this company are
located (being a part of the McCoy tract, taken up in
1769) lies on the line of the Southwest Pennsylvania
Railroad, about three-fourths of a mile south of
Uniontown. About four hundred acres of coal right
and twenty-one acres of surface was purchased of
Greenbury Crossland and William Hopwood by Jas-
per M. Thompson, Alpheus E. Willson, Dr. Smith
Fuller, William H. Playford, Daniel Kaine, John
Snyder, Charles E. Boyle, and Thomas B. Schnat-
terly, and on the 14th of February, 1880, these gen-
tlemen sold to Robert Montgomery, of Pittsburgh,
the twenty-one acres of surface, and the right to all
coal and minerals underlying three hundred and
twenty-six acres of their lands. Thereupon the Chi-
cago and Connellsville Coke Company was formed,
consisting of Robert Montgomery, Mr. McN.air, of
St. Louis, and Alexander J. Leith, of Chicago, the
last-named gentleman being its president. In the
month following the purchase they commenced the
sinking of the shaft and the construction of ovens, of
which one hundred and six had been completed by
the 1st of May, 1881, and one hundred and seventy-
eight have been added since that time. The shaft
has been sunk two hundred and seventy-eight feet,
and a derrick one hundred feet in height erected over
it. From the base of the shaft six entries (including
the air-course) radiate in difl'erent directions. The
main entry of flat-heading was in July, 1881, two
hundred and twenty feet in length, and the one of the
other two hundred feet, rising towards the surface.
The company have erected at the works a large brick
store and thirty blocks of tenements for the use of
the miners and other employes.

The coal mined by this company is all manufac-
tured into coke, and the product of the ovens is sold
under contract to the Joliet Steel Company, of Joliet,
111., of which company Jlr. Leith is also the presi-
dent.

MONROE.

This town, located on the line between North and
South Union, was laid out by John Hopwood, Nov.
8, 1791, and by him then named Woodstock. The
tract of land upon which the town was erected was
patented by John Hopwood from Richard Penn,
Governor of Pennsylvania, April I, 1786. The patent



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



granted four hundred and Hhy acres lying in the
valley along Redstone Creek. Prior to this, viz.,
Nov. 23, 1785, he had purchased a tract of land from
James McClean, brother of Alexander McClean. In
addition to these valuable possessions, John Hop-
wood acquired by purchase from Moses Sutton two
other tracts of land bounding his other property on
the West. John Hopwood readily discerned that
his location was advantageous in many respects, being
on the old Braddock road, over which passed the
travelers from the East to the land of Boone, and
being at the base of the Laurel Hill, where the pro-
fuse water-power coming from the hills and flowing
through his possessions might be readily utilized for
driving mills and factories. The traveling traffic had
so increased that it became imperative to afford the
new-comers public-house accommodations. With all
these, and doubtless many additional views, John
Hopwood founded the town, and for the accomplish-
ment of this design he set apart two hundred acres of
the land lie had received by patent, and divided these
two hundred acres into four hundred lots.

The charter of the town guaranteed the following
benefits and general advantages, viz. : Each purchaser
of a lot was to have the privilege to enter upon a three-
hundred-acre tract lying contiguous to the town, and
take therefrom any stone or timber necessary for the
erection of their buildings free of charge, also any
timber for the purpose of improving their lots in said



Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 156 of 193)