Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 187 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 187 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


daughter, living now in the village, is Belle Vernon's
oldest inhabitant,— that is, she has lived longest of
any in the place. Next comes the widow of Morris
Corwin, whose residence in the town covers a period
of sixty-five years, or two years less than that of Mrs.
Lenhart.

There was no store but Solomon Speer's for a long
time. The second store was opened on Water Street
by William Reeves. In 1816 the shoemaker for the
village was Jacob Hazelbaker, who lived near J. B.
Gould's present residence. His brother George, the
hatter, lived in the house, now the home of Rebecca
Lenhart. William Rees established in 1830 the only
tannery Belle Vernon ever had. It was owned suc-
cessively by Alexander and John Bingham, John
Nichols, J. P. Fry, J. W. Wright, and W. C. Drum.
Mr. Drum sold it to George Lang, who uses it now as
a storage-house.

In 1833, Solomon Speer and Morgan Gaskill built
the first steamboat constructed at Belle Vernon.
They were sub-contractors under Capt. Samuel
Walker, of Elizabeth, who received the contract
from Capt. James May. Gen. Isaac Hammet drafted
the plan of the boat at Elizabeth, and" laid it down"
on the floor of a stable in Belle Vernon, in the rear
of where Alexander Brown now lives.

A ferry was established by Henry Speer at the
Belle Vernon crossing as early as 1772. The first
ferryman of whom there is any knowledge was An-
drew Bryce, the shoemaker. The first ferryman
after the town was laid out was Joseph Billeter. The
first hurse-boat was built at Fredericktown and named



the " Swan." The second horse-boat was called the
" Belle Vernon," and received its motive-power from
the chestnut horse Barney and the mouse-colored
Davey. They grew old in the service, and became
well-known animals in that part of the country.
The " Belle Vernon" was succeeded by the steam
ferry-boat " Polly South," built and run by Capt.
James French, now a resident of Belle Vernon. The
traffic was too small to make a steam ferry profitable,
and as a consequence the present rope-ferry was put
on. The ferry privilege at Belle Vernon has always
been owned by a Speer, and is now in the hands of
Noah Speer.

Belle Vernon languished until the founding of the
glas9»manufacturing industry in the village by William
Eberhard in 1836. At that time Solomon Speer and
William Reeves were the village store-keepers, and
John Wright the tavern-keeper. Solomon Speer was
the first postmaster at Belle Vernon, but when the ofiice
w'as established cannot now be told, probably not
before 1830. In 1836, Speer was succeeded by Uriah
Ward ; to him succeeded William Eberhard, Robert
Boyle, L. R. Boyle, and James Davidson, the present
incumbent, who was commissioned in 1869. Since
1875 Belle Vernon has been a money-order office.
Three mails are received and the same number des-
patched daily.

The town enjoyed the luxury of a village news-
paper for a brief season from April, 1874, to the
spring of 1878, but the enterprise was at no time a
profitable one. E. A. Hastings, who started the
Belle Vernon Patriot in April, 1874, published it as
an independent journal two years, and then gave up
the undertaking as a losing one. J. T. McAlpin,
thinking there might be profit in a local newspaper
notwithstanding Hastings' experience, started the
Belle Vernon Courier. Its fate was about the same
as that of the Patriot, and when it terminated its
career, in 1878, then terminated also the newspaper
history of Belle Vernon.

Belle Vernon's first resident physician was Dr.
Horner, the date of whose coming cannot be fixed.
Succeeding him as village physicians were Drs. Kirk,
Hubbs, Johnson, Eagan, and Roberts. Dr. John S.
Van Voorhis came to the town to practice in 1847,
and found here Dr. James Eagan and Dr. H. F.
Roberts. After 1847 the list of physicians in Belle
Vernon included W. L. Creigh, Charles B. Chalfant,
David Fetz, H. B. Rupp, S. A. Conklin, J. A. Hazlitt,
and J. B. Enos. With the exception of a three-years'
absence. Dr. Van Voorhis has been in the constant
practice of his profession at Belle Vernon from 1847
to the present time (1881). Besides him the borough
physicians are J. A. Hazlitt and J. B. Enos.

The oldest merchant in Belle Vernon is Amon
Bronson. Among other prominent village traders
may be mentioned Schmertz & Co., J. L. Courtney,
C. Reppert &. Sons, J. B. Zeh, W. H. Brightwell, W.
C. Kittle, J. C. Cunningham, C. A. Patterson, H.



■HKLLK VEBNON BOROUGH.



Husher, A. Graham, L. M. Kyle, J. A. Piersol, J. B.
Fournfer, O. E. Springer, E. W. Kyle, S. JI. Graham,
L. Z. Birmingham, and J. A. Hazlitt.

BOROUGH IXCORPORATIOX AND LIST OF OFFICERS.

Belle Vernon was incorporated a borough by an
act of Assembly approved April 15, 1863, which after
reciting in its preamble that, " Whereas the borough
hereby incorporated i.s situated partly within the
county of Fayette and partly within the county of
Westmoreland, and therefore the courts of said coun-
ties have not the power to incorporate the same, there-
fore" proceeds to enact " that the town of Belle Ver-
non, partly in Fayette and partly in Westmoreland
County, shall be and the same is hereby erected into
a borough, which shall be called the borough of Belle
Vernon, bounded and limited as follows: Beginning
at a low-water mark on the Monongahela River at the
mouth of Speer's Run ; thence up said run to the stone
bridge; thence in a direct line to the north corner of
the public school-house lot; thence along the east line
of said lot to the alley; thence along said alley to
Gould's Run ; thence down said run to the Mononga-
hela River, and down said river at low-water mark to
the place of beginning, and shall enjoy all the priv-
ileges and be subject to the limitations and restric-
tions of the general laws of this commonwealth rela-
ting to boroughs."

Following is a list of the principal borough officers
of Belle Vernon from its erection to the present time.



1863.— Burges-s Amon Bronson ; Council, Brazil Brightwell,
■William Sutton, Samuel Smook, Edward Martin, John R.
Powell ; School Directors, John S. Van Voorhis, James Da-
vidson, James French, John W. Wright, Robert Boyle,
Noah Q. Speer ; Justices of the Peace, John Watson, Robert
Patterson, John R. Powell ; Auditors, Robert Boyle, James
M. Springer, 0. D. Johnston; Assessor, John W. Lindsey.

1S64.— Burgess, Amon Bronson ; Council, Allison Piersol, Ed-
ward .Jordan, Jasper Haught. William Mackey, Curtis
Reppert; Justice of the Peace, Amon Bronson; School
Directors, Noah Q. Speer, James M. Springer; Auditor,
James Corwin, Jr.

lS65.^Burgess, John Watson; Council, David Springer, John
R. Powell, John Reeves, Thomas Lowry, John S. V.an
Voorhis ; School Directors, Robert Boyle, James A. Piersol ;
Auditor, Harvey B. Fry; Assessor, John W. Lindsey.

1S66.— Burgess, John W. Liudsey ; Council, James French,
Robert Patterson, John Hixenbaugh, Peter Leyhew, W. F.
Speer; Assessor, James N. McDivitt ; School Directors,
John S. Van Voorhis, John AVatson, James Davidson,
Curtis Rephart ; Auditor, Robert Patterson ; Justice of the
Peace, John W. Lindsey.

1867. — Burgess, John W. Lindsey ; Council, J. S. Van Voorhis,
W. H. Jones, Peter Leyhew, J. A. Singley, James French,
and C. Rephart; Assessor, George Amalong ; School Direc-
tors, James M. Springer, 0. D. Johnson, John S. Van
Voorhis; Auditor, Alexander Brown.

1868.— Burgess, John W. Lindsey; Council, James Corwin,
William Bronson; Assessor, George Amalong: Auditor, J.
W. Corwin : School Directors, John Power. Jesse P. Sill.



Joseph Reeves, J.
es; School Directors,
. M. Springer, John

V. F. Speer, Amon
, W. F.



1869.— Burgess, Arthur P. Lewis; Council, John W. Dean,
Henry Ilaler; Assessor, Andrew Johnston ; School Direc-
tors, James A. Pearsol, James French ; Auditor, William
Kyle.

1S70. — Burgess, James French; Council, William P. Mackey,
W. H. Jones ; Auditor, Anson Bronson ; School Directors,
John Reeves, Henry Haler, William F. Speer; Justice of
the Peace, J. F. Roley.

1871. — Burgess, John Reeves: Council, Peter Leyhew, Lewis
Krepps, Robert Patterson; School Directors, Noah Q.
Speer, Daniel Springer; Auditor, J. S. Van Voorhis ; As-
sessor, George Amalong.

1872.— Burgess, J. W. Lindsey; Counci
A. Singley; Assessor, William H. Jont
Alexander Brown, Amon Bronson, J.
W. Corwin ; Auditor, J. B. Foulke.

1873. — Burgess (not recorded); Council,'

Bronson ; Assessor, W. H. Jones ; School Dii
Speer, S. F. Jones; Auditor, A. S. Woodrow.

1874.— Burgess (not recorded); Council, A.P.Lewis, A. A.
Taggart; Assessor, J. S. Clegg; Auditor, J. C.Cunning-
ham ; School Directors, Alexander Brown, C. T. Porter,
R. J. Linton; Justice of the Peace, 0. D. Johnson.

lS".i. — Burgess (not recorded); Council, John Call, J. H. Rob-
bins; Treasurer, S. F.Jones; Justice of the Peace, Charles
M. Call; School Directors, James Davidson, Amon Bron-
son, John S. Van Voorhis, Noah Q. Speer ; Auditor, Wil-
liam J. Anderson.

1876.— Burgess, A. L. Brown; Council, W. J. Anderson, A. S.
Woodrow; Treasurer, A. A. Taggart; Assessor, J. S.
Clegg ; School Directors, A. P. Lewis, W. H. Hoil ; Auditor,

A. S. Woodrow.

1377. — Burgess, L. Z. Birmingham; Council, J. W. Krepps,
Jacob Hasson ; School Directors, A. A. Taggart, Jas. M.
Springer, Amos Bronson, James Davidson ; Assessor, W.

B. Roley ; Treasurer, J. C. Cunningham ; Auditor, William
Kettle.

1878.— Burgess, J. T. Roley; Council, William Houseman, J. B.
Courtney, J. C. Cunningham ; Treasurer, J. S. Van Voor-
his; School Directors, Wm. E. McCrory, J. S. Van Voor-
his; Assessor, W. B. Roley; Auditor, W. J. Anderson.

1879.— Burgess, William Leyhew ; Council, J. M. Bowell, .laco'b
Singley; Justice of the Peace, Jacob Hassan; School Di-
rectors, W. P. Mackey, E. W. Martin, S. F. Jones, I,. Z.
Birmingham; Assessor, Wm. B. Roley; Auditor, (. W.



Brown.
1880. — Burgess, Amon Bronson; Council, Wm. Leyhew,."^. F.

Jones; Assessor, George Patton; School Directors, II. J.

Linton, Jas. Donnason, L. Z. Birmingham; Auditor,

Matthew Arters.
1881.— Burgess, J. S. Van Voorhis; Council, John H. Rohhins,

J. B. Courtney; Auditor, W. H. Beazill; School Directors,

J. B. Enos. Samuel Graham, Ephraim Lewis; Ass. .-sor,

George W. Patton.

SCHOOL,?.

For some time after Belle Vernon received its first
inhabitants the village children were obliged to go a
long distance to attend school. Morris Corwin thought
something should be done to establish a school in the
village, and announced that his wife would give up
her kitchen to school uses if a teacher were provided.
The proposition met with general favor, and in Mrs.
Corwin's kitchen Belle Vernon's first school was
started. The teacher was John Haselbaker, of Wash-



816



HISTOKY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



ington County. While teaching in Belle Vernon he
lived in the village with his brother George (a hatter),
whose house was the one now occupied by the Widow
Lenhart. School was taught in the Corwin kitchen
about three months. The nest school was kept in a
house on Main Street, built by Joseph Springer, and
now occupied by William Mackey. The first teacher
of that school was J. B. Gould, still living near Belle
Vernon.

The first house built for school purposes was erected
upon the lot adjoining Peter Leyhew's present resi-
dence. It was built of brick taken from old Rehoboth
Church, that had been standing since 1803. Some of
the brick are now in the sidewalk in front of William
P. Mackey's residence. Solomon Speer and A. P.
Fry raised the money for building by subscription.
The second village school-house was the building now
occupied as a residence by J. B. Gould, Jr. The
brick in it came from the old Firuey mill. In 1857
a third village school-house was built on a lot now
occupied by R. J. Linton, at the corner of Speer
Avenue and Short Street. It was a two-story brick,
with two rooms on the first floor and one large room
on the second. The building committee was com-
posed of Revs. J. M. Springer and James Davidson.
The brick-work was done by Solon Meredith, and the
carpenter-work by Peter Snyder. The building was
first occupied January, 1858, and cost, completed, six-
teen hundred and twenty-seven dollars and eighteen
cents. The first teachers were John Wright and Miss
Tower. Upon the incorporation of the borough the
school directors chosen were James Davidson, Robert
Boyle, J. W. Wright, James French, N. Q. Speer,
J. S. Van Voorhis. The first teachers in the borough
were C. C. Douglass, Miss Hess, and Miss Allie D.
Main.

. The present school building was completed in 1873,
and opened Jan. 12, 1874. The cost of the edifice
was thirty thousand dollars. Coulter & Taggart were
the contractors. It has two stories, with four rooms
in the first and three in the second. In January,
1874, Professor J. W. Gibbons was the principal, and
H. F. Bailey, Theodore J. Allen, and Miss Hattie
Davidson, assistants. In April, 1881, Thomas S.
Lackey was the principal, and C. E. Peck, Miss Sallie
Williams, and Miss Kate Veech assistants.

The annual report for the school year ending June
7, 1880, furnishes details as follows touching the
Belle Vernon schools :

Whole number of schools 4

Number of male teachers 2

*' female " 2

Average salaries of males per month $45.00

'■ females ■' $30.00

Number of male scholars l:U

female " 13S

Average number iittorMliriL' ■ ': ' , 214

Total tax levied f.u- l.uihlin ■ h, . - ; ■ i,, 1 1.,,.,.> SR119.64

State approiiriatiun 468.10

Receipts from taxes and all ulL> , ..>nu,e.~ LXcej.t State

appropriation 5864.34

Total receipts 6332.44



Cost of school-houses — purchasing, building, renting,

Paid for teachers* wages $750.00

Paid for fuel and contingencies, fees of collectors, etc.,

and all other expenses 5311.00

Total expenditures 6061.00

CHURCHES.
BELLE VERNON METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHUBCH.

Although it is not known who preached the first
j Methodist sermon in Belle Vernon, it is known that
in 1830 Rev. J. G. Sanson, attached to the Redstone
Methodist Episcopal Circuit, held church services in
the village in the house now owned by W. P. Mackey,
on Main Street. In 1834, on the 15th of October,
Rev. J. H. Ebert, of the Redstone Circuit, organized
a Methodist class in a house on Main Street, then be-
longing to Samuel Reeves, and now owned by James
Davidson. The Redstone Circuit extended then from
Elizabeth to Upper Middletown. Rev. Robert Hop-
kins (now of Pittsburgh) was the presiding elder, and
' Revs. J. H. Ebert, Warner Long, and Isaac N. Mac-
cabee the preachers in charge. The organizing mem-
bers of the first class were Barnet Corwin, John Cor-
win, Eleanor Corwin, Sabina Gaskill, Morgan Gas-
kill, Catharine Ward, Jane Corwin, Rebecca Jacobs,
and Grace McFall. The first and last named are
still living in the vicinity of Belle Vernon. Rev.
j Mr. Ebert was the leader at first, and after him
: Robert Demain. Nov. 14, 1834, William Hutchin-
son joined the class and brought the aggregate mem-
bership up to ten. For the first Conference year the
j missionary contributions of the class amounted to
; seventy-three cents. In a little while the Belle Ver-
' non class was joined by a class from the country, and
both met in the village school-house. Jesse Fell was
the leader for many years.

In 1841 a brick church was built at the lower end
of Main Street, but the building proving short of the
requirements as stipulated in the contract for its
j erection, the congregation gave it up to the contrac-
, tor after nieeting in it but a few times. In 1843 pur-
i chase was made of William Eberhard's warehouse on
i Water Street, and in that building, remodeled, wor-
ship was held until 1850, when a framed edifice was
built on Water Street, above the old site, at a cost of
S1050. The church built in 1850 is now occupied by
the Disciples.

In 1866, the congregation having grown in strength
and wealth, measures were inaugurated looking to the
erection of a costlier and more commodious house of
1 worship. The result was the erection of the fine brick
j edifice now occupied. It cost .$15,000, and will seat
five hundred people. June 10, 1867, the corner-stone
was laid in the presence of a numerous assemblage by
Mrs. Emma Weaver and the Misses Maggie, Emma,
I and Lydia Davidson. In that year the church society
was first incorporated. The church property includes
j the church building and a parsonage. The entire in-
debtedness is but $1200. In 1850, Belle Vernon and
I Cookstown were made a separate circuit. In 1870,



BELLE VERNON BOROUGH.



817



Belle Vernon was constituted a charge by itself.
From 1850 to 1860 the preachers in charge were Revs.
J. F. Nesley, P. F. Jones, J. Burbidge, D. H. Rhodes,
John Williams, J. Horner, J. C. Brown, George Crook.
Belle Vernon Church has now a membership of two
hundred and forty, and four cla.sses. The leaders are
James Davidson, Amon Bronson (two classes), and
C. Reppert. The pastor is Rev. A. P. Leonard, and
the Sunday-school superintendent J. B. Zeh. The
trustees are William Jones, James Davidson, Amon
Bronson, N. Q. Speers, W. H. Brightwell, J. B. Zeh,
John Reeves, D. P. Houseman, and Samuel Sutton.



is said to have been an eloquent man in the pulpit,
but in ordinary life and conversation a far from im-
pressive person. Asking a lady once what she thought
of him, he received as a reply, "Well, when you are
in the pulpit I often think you ought never to leave
it, but when you are out I feel sure you ought never
to enter it." There has been no regular preacher
since 1876, the la.st one being Lyman Streator. The
membership is now about forty. J. B. Gould, James
Morgan, and Andrew Graham are the elders, and
Charles Corwin, Thomas Fawcett, and James Hag-
erty the deacons.



FREE-WILL BAPTIST CHURCH.

April 22, 1843, a Free-Will Baptist Church was
organized in the village school-house by Elders
Josliua Newbold, S. G. Smutz, and David Smutz.
The organizing members were Roger Jordan and
wife, Isaac Free and wife, Mrs. Hannah Jordan,
Eliza Baldwin, Daniel Springer, Rachel Springer,
William Jacobs and wife, Lydia Springer, and Eliza
Jordan. The first deacons were Isaac Free and Dan-
iel Springer, and Daniel Springer the first superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school. In September, 1844,
a house of worship was built, and was dedicated by
Rev. Mr. Newbold. It was used until 1872, and is
now the residence of Mr. Morrison. In 1872 the
house now in use was completed, and in April of that
year was dedicated by Rev. James Coulter. Its cost
was about $5000. Rev. Joshua Newbold, the first
pastor, has had as successors in the pastorate Revs.
Edward Jordan, David Smutz, Mr. Winton, J. W.
Planet, Patrick Reardon, Henry Cook, Mr. Blakely,
James Springer, J. C. Nye, Wellington Joy, John
Rogers, and B. H. Fish. Mr. Fish, the present pas-
tor, returned in October, 1880, for his second term of
service. The church membership was seventy in
May, 1881. The deacons are John Hixenbaugh, J.
W. Corwin, Christopher Amalong, James McCoy.
The trustees are J. W. Corwin, Denton Lynn, and
John Fell.

CHURCH OF CHRIST.

The Disciples at Belle Vernon met occasionally for
worship as early as 1840, and engaging a preacher in
conjunction with the brethren of Cookstown, had ser-
vices once a fortnight. Of both churches the promi-
nent members were J. B. Gould, of Belle Vernon, and
James Hamer, of Cookstown. Hamer was about the
only one who came regularly every other Sunday
from Cookstown to church at Belle Vernon, and
Gould the only one who attended regularly from the
latter at the former place. In 1844 the Belle Vernon
Disciples built a church, and in 1869 exchanged it to
R. C. Schmertz & Co. for the old Methodist Episcopal
Church building on Water Street, then owned by
Schmertz & Co. The church built by the Discipies
is now used by Schmertz & Co. as an ofiice. Mr.
Pool was the first preacher, and J. B. Gould, .lames
Hamer, and James Ferry the first elders. Mr. Pool



BELLE VERNON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.

About 1836, or before, Rehoboth Church appointed
Michael Finley and William Bigham to visit Belle
Vernon and inquire into the propriety of erecting a
church in that village. They reported adversely, but
recommended occasional preaching in the town and
neighborhood. Rev. Robert Johnson preached at
long intervals at the house of Abner Reeves, whose
wife was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Later, Rev. N. H. Gillett held occasional services in
the old Eberhard warehouse on Water Street.

For some years the only member of the Presbyte-
rian Church in Belle Vernon was William Hasson.
In April, 1848, Dr. Van Voorhis and wife were re-
ceived into the church, and then Belle Vernon held
three members of that faith. Revs. James R.
Hughes and L. Y. Graham preached successively in
the house now used by the Disciples and then by the
Methodists, but no further effort was made to organ-
ize a church until the summer of 1868, when Reho-
both appointed J. B. Cook, E. F. Houseman, and L.
M. Speer to " go on and inquire into the expediency
of building a house in Belle Vernon." The commit-
tee made a report favoring the project, but to this
day no action has been taken by Rehoboth upon the
report, nor has the committee yet been discharged.
In 1869 membei's of Rehoboth living in Belle Vernon
and vicinity took steps towards building a church,
and August 7th of that year laid the first stone upon
a lot donated by L. M. Speer, who gave also liber-
ally toward the work of building, and himself pro-
vided for the completion of the spire. Dec. 19, 1869,
the church was dedicated free of debt. Jan. 2, 1870,
a Sabbath-school was organized with Dr. J. S. Van
Voorhis as superintendent. It was not, however,
until 1873 that a church organization was formed.
In December of that year the Redstone Presbytery
appointed Revs. G. M. Hair and Galley and Elder
Rankin to act as a committee to organize a church
at Belle Vernon. The organization was accordingly
effected December 11th, when the following were re-
ceived on certificates from Rehoboth, to wit : D. B.
Johnson, Sarah Johnson, James French and wife,
Dr. J. S. Van Voorhis, E. S. Van Voorhis, L. M.
Speer, F. L. Speer, C. G. Speer, S. F. Jones, S. E.
Jones, R. J. Linton, C. S. Linton, Nancy Smock,



818



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENxXSYLVANlA.



Ellen McFall, Margaret Garrison, Plarriet Patterson,
L. V. Cunningham, J. C. Hazlett, Samuel Clark,
Anna Clark, Maria E. Hughes, Jennie French, W.
F. .Speer, M. T. Speer, W. P. Mackey, Samuel Mc-
Kean, S. McKean, Aggie McAlpine, Mary Smock,
Elizabeth Lucas, Nancy Sheats, Maggie McFall,
Jane Hopkins, Alvira M. Furnier, Mary E. Cook,
Susan C. Wise, James McAlpin, Mrs. McAlpin, John
McAlpin, W. B. McAlpin, Jennie Jones, Sarah
Barkman, Philip Smock, Olive Barkman, Laurena
Smock, William McFall, Robert McFall, and Char-
lotte Hammett. From other churches, William F.
Morgan and wife and Mary C. Alter. S. F. Jones,
Samuel McKean, J. C. Hazlett, and R. J. Trinton
were chosen elders, of whom Samuel McKean de-
clined to serve. Rev. G. M. Hair, of Rehoboth,
preached at Belle Vernon until April, 1874. In
July, 1874, Rev. A. B. Lowes entered upon the pas-
torate, and still remains. The membership in 1881
was eighty-three. The elders first chosen are still in
office. The trustees are William P. Mackey, Joseph
Nutt, and W. F. Morgan. S. F. Jones is superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school.



BELLE VERNON GLASS-FACTORY.

The interest of glass-manufacture is a very impor-
tant one at Belle Vernon. It was founded in 1834,
and has continued since 1836 to be a conspicuous
element in the industries of the town. R. C. Schmertz
& Co. have been the manufacturers at this point since
1865, and have there to-day the largest window-glass
manufactory in the world. In 1834, George Kendall,
of Cookstown, and Thomas Patton, of Perryopolis,
began the erection of gla><-works upon the site of
Schmertz & Co.'s factory, l.iit IhI.uv they reached the
point of manufiicture faili'l ami abandoned the en-
terprise. The liiiil.llngs remained in an unfinished
conditi.Hi mitil !<;(;, when William Ebeihanl eaine
into piisM'-siiiii ul liie property, and' pr(]iii]itly 0(1111-
pletiiig an eight-pot furnace engaged at once in the
|iio(hietion of glass. At the first the largest rollers
!"■ made would flatten out a sheet measuring twenty-
■iiie by twenty-five. He made ninety-five rollers to a
bl'.wer. His first glass-cutter was Griffith Wells,
now residing at Fayette City. During Mr. Eber-
hard's possession he brought the works up to a ca-



Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 187 of 193)