Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 191 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 191 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


wards built a tub-mill near it. In 1787, Henry Fern
patented land by name of Cherry Valley, where Alex-
ander Rush now lives.

In 1788, John Inks received a patent f«)r a tract of
land where J. H. Wiggins lives, and sold it to a
man bv name of Newbern. David Young came



832



HISTOKY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



about this time, and built two cabins and a house a
mile or so back from William Smith. The two cabins
were burned. Also about this time came Alexander
McDowell into Wharton near Tom Fossit's ; he was
an old Indian-hunter, and was captured once after
being shot through, and sold to British traders for a
gallon of rum and a silver half-dollar. He got well
and came to Wharton, where he was a great hunter.
He came from Ireland, and was the ancestor of the
McDowells in Wharton; he was a large, muscular,
fearless man, kind and generous. His sons used to
get out millstones near Meadow Run and take them
to Brownsville, where they were shipped to Ken-
tucky.

Capt. Levi Griffith came to this county soon after
the Revolution, took up a tract of mountain land of
about four hundred acres in Wharton township, where
he lived till his death. He was a lieutenant in Wayne's
Indian expedition, but acted as captain. He was the
only man in this county who was a member of the
Society of the Cincinnati,' a society of Revolutionary
officers. He held the badge and star. He received
a pension from the government, and every six months
went to Uniontown for his pension. Then he would
invite his old friends to dinner, generally at Dr.
McClure's tavern; among these were Col. James
Paull, Maj. Uriah Springer, Col. Thomas Collins, and
William McClelland.

About 1788 the Deans came to Wharton. Thomas
Dean started, but died on the way with smallpox. He
was from Germany, and had served through the Revo-
lutionary war. Samuel, his son, had served two years
in that war. He and his mother kept on into Whar-
ton, settling close to William Smith's. Samuel F.
married a New Jersey lady of the name of Camp,
and raised a large family. Thomas and Edward, his
sons, were on the pike. Thomas is still living, nearly
eighty years old, and a lively, pleasant old gentle-
man, with a good recollection of events of sixty years
ago. Samuel's mother went to Ohio, and died there
at over one hundred years of age. Charles, another
son, lives near Elliottsville. Samuel died at an old
age. He was the ancestor of the Deans in Wharton.
About 1789, James Hayhurst was at Braddock's
Run keeping tavern. Abraham Stewart was in
Wharton in 1790, and kept tavern afterwards. He
raised Peter Hagar, who married Rachel Inks and
settled the Hagar farms, now owned by his descend-
ants.

In 1790, Daniel and William Carrol came from
Ireland. William settled on Old Braddock road, on
the bank of Braddock's Run, and kept tavern. Daniel
Carrol, when twenty-five years old, settled the glade
named after him. He married a widow, Barbara



- "A little while before the disbanding of the Continental army the
officers formed an association formutual friendship and assistance which
they called the 'Society of the Cincinnati.' They adopted an order or
badge of gold and enamel, which with membership
the nearest male representative for all time." — Lossin',,



descend



Cogswell, and by her had four sons and one daughter,
— Daniel, who married a sister of James Sampey and
went West ; James, who went West ; William, who
married a Miss Conaway and went West ; Joseph,
who married Nancy Scott, and remains, an old and
intelligent man, in possession of the glade; and Mar-
garet, who married a man named Casteel and went
West.

In 1797, James Hayhurst came from Braddock's
road and settled near Potter's school-house, and
bought from William McClelland, who had patented
under name of "Bellevue" and "Land of Cakes."

In 1800, David Flaugh settled near Elliottsville, and
Enos and Eber West, half-brothers, came from Mary-
land and settled near the junction of Mill Run and
Sandy Creek, on the Rowland tract, patented in 1785.
Eber West kept a tavern on the Moore road for
many years near the mouth of Mill Run, and then
moved up the hill and built a tavern stand where A.
Crutchman now lives. He raised a large family, and
they all went to Ohio.

Enos West, half-brother of Eber, settled where
Jacob Sumey lives. His wife was the Widow Black,
previously a Rowland. He raised a large family.
One daughter, Mrs. Rachel Fields, is still living
near Smithfleld. Jonathan, one of his sons, went
to Uniontown, and his son, Enos West, came back to
Wharton in 1835, and built a saw-mill near Whar-
ton Furnace, where he now lives. Old Enos West
emigrated to the Western country, came back on a
visit and died, and was buried at Smithfleld. His
wife had one daughter, Sarah Black, who married
the Rev. William Brownfield.

About 1800, John Slack was on the Braddock road,
and in 1810, Benjamin Elliott, from Greene County,
bought out David Flaugh, who lived near Brown's
Church. He raised a family of four daughters and
two sons, — Solomon, who emigrated, and S. D. Elli-
ott, the present owner of his farm. He built a saw-
mill and the flouring-mill at Elliottsville in 1817 and
1818. Benjamin Elliott was born in 1781, and died
in 1863.

In 1814, John Tuttle came from German township
to Wharton, where his son, Eli Tuttle, now lives.
Squire Benjamin Price and James Snyder came
about 1815. After the pike was built James Mc-
Cartney, from Maryland, lived in a log house just
back of the Presbyterian Church at Farmington.
He married John Marker's widow, whose daughter,
Sarah Marker, married Charles Rush. James Mc-
Cartney's son Nicholas was well known as a tavern-
keeper, a good talker, and a leading Democrat. His
daughter Mary Ann married Squire Burke ; another
daughter was Mrs. Ellen Brown ; and Diana, an-
other daughter, married Atwell Holland, who was
killed by a negro. She is now Mrs. Thomas, living
in Greene County.

Col. John McCuUough came shortly after McCart-
' nev. His sons Nicholas and James are well known



WHARTON TOWNSHIP.



along the road. Squire James Bryant, or, as some
called him, Bryan, also Sebastian, John, Charles, and
Levi Rush, Jr., sons of Levi Rush, of Henry Clay,
came and located in Wharton. John, Charles, Sam-
uel, and Sebastian Rush (called " Boss" Rush) were
on the road as tavern-keepers. Charles Rush was on
the pike at Searight's in 1856. Samuel Rush keeps ,
the Rush House, opposite the Union Depot, Pitts-
burgh. Sebastian Rush married Margaret, a daughter \
of James Beard. Thomas, one of his sons, is a mer-
chant at Farmington, and C. H. Rush, another, is a
merchant at Uniontown. Sebastian Rush for years
was the leading Republican of Wharton township,
while Col. John McCuUough and Nick McCartney
were the leading Democrats.

In 1822 Col. Cuthbert Wiggins came to Wharton I
from Uniontown. His son, Joseph H. Wiggins, has
the finest house in Wharton, one-half mile from Chalk
Hill, and it is called by sportsmen the " fox-hunter's
paradise."

The Moyers about 1820 were clearing farms in the
western part of the township. Their ancestors, Sara- :
ueland Jacob, came from Hagerstown. Philip Moyer, ;
who lives near Elliottsville, and Barbara, widow of
Samuel Moore, are children of Jacob Moyer, whose \
wife was Catherine Maust. Nancy, one of his daugh- !
ters, married Samuel Morton, of West Virginia, who
built a saw-mill at Gibbons' Glade.

Peter Kime came to Potter's place in Wharton i
.about 1825. In 18.33 G. W. Hansel came from Mary-
land, and the Crutchmans came to West place. In
1836 Jacob Workman and his brother came from
Maryland and settled near Peter Hager. In 1840
Amos Potter came from Henry Clay, and bought the
Kime property, and still resides on it. He is over
seventy years old, a kind, affable, intelligent old man,
who has held many offices in the township, and for
years has been one of its leading and most useful
citizens.

About 1840, Isaac Armstrong came from West Vir-
ginia, and bought the old Moore property, on which
he now resides. He has been justice of the peace
heretofore, and holds this office at the present time.
In the western part of the township we find, about
1850. Jonas Haines and John Wirsing, from Somer-
set County, Pa., and John Myers, from West Vir-
ginia.

ROADS AND TAVERNS.
The Braddock road is the oldest road in the town-
ship. The Sandy Creek road is the next, and



the
second or third road laid out in Fayette County, in
1783, running from Ten-Mile Creek past Haydentown
to Sandy Creek settlement, past Daniel McPeck's,
who lived near Gibbons' Glade. It is not known
whether it came by Gibbons' Glade from Haydentown,
or by the Bear Wallow to Brucetown, W. Va. ; it is
supposed to have come by Three-Mile Spring from
Haydentown past to Gibbons' Glade. The next road
was from Selbysport to the Moore settlement, and



branching to Braddock's road. The next was the Tur-
key Foot road, coming p.ist where Robert Dalzell
(the fiither of Private Dalzell, of political Atme) lives,
and intersecting Braddock's road at Dunbar's Camp.
Next was the National road. Next, in 1823, was a
road from Downer's tavern (Chalk Hill) to Jonathan's
Run (near Stewart), and Samuel Little, Col. Andrew
Moore, John Griffin, and Jacob Downard, viewers-
Next was a road from Snyder's, on the pike, past El-
liott's Mill to West Virginia, and then a road from
Farmington to Falls City. The Sandy Creek road
was afterwards known as the Moore or Cumberland
road.

The Old Braddock road entered Wharton from
Henry Clay, on the farm now owned by McCaribn,
then by Eli Leonard's to the Widow Dean's, back of
Farmington, then to Dennis Holland's, then by Fort
Necessity through the Facenbaker farm, crossing
the National road at Braddock's Run, near the house
of James Dickson's heirs, then along a ridge back of
Chalk Hill, through the Johnson farm to tlie top of
the mountain, to Frederick Hamerer's place, then by
Washington's Spring through the Kenedy farm, and
two miles beyond crossing the township line to Dun-
bar's Camp. On this old road there were a number
of tavern stands within the boundaries of Wharton
township, and a brief mention is here made of them.
The Burnt Cabin stand, just west of the Henry
Clay line, was a cabin, where about 1790 a man by
name of Clark lived. The cabin was afterward
burnt, hence the name. David Young kept tavern in
it in 1796. A few old apple-trees mark its site on
McCarion's farm.

The old Inks tavern was about one mile west of
the Burnt Cabin, where Eli Leonard now lives.
Thomas Inks built the first part of the house now-
standing, and in 1783 kept tavern in it. George
Inks, his son, followed him in keeping the house till
the road was shut up. Near is Dead Man's Run, so
named from two brothers-in-law quarreling at Inks',
and having left together, young Thomas Inks soon
after started to mill, and driving across the run
found one of them lying dead in the run.

Old Graveyard tavern, a large log house, stood two
miles west of Inks', on the Widow Dean's place, just
b.ick of Farmington. It was supposed to have been
built about 1783 for a tavern. Afterward Henry
Beall and Plummer kept it, then Abraham Stewart,
father of Hon. Andrew Stewart, next Clemmens. It
' was so called from a graveyard but a few yards away.
The house has long been gone. The old trees and
graveyard remain.

The Rue England tavern was about one mile we-t
of the Old Graveyard tavern, where Dennis Holland
now lives, on land owned by G. W. Hansel. It
was a log house, supposed to have been built about
1796, and was kept awhile by young Thomas Inks.
The Freeman tavern stood a short distance west of



834



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



the Rue England. It was a log tavern, built about
1800, and kept by Benjamin Freeland and young
Thomas Inks. Jackson Facenbaker lives at the place.
Benjamin Freeland had five children, — Mahala,
Phffibe, John, Isaac, and Mary. The father died in
Uniontown. John and Phcebe went to New Orleans,
where she taught school, married, and died.

The Old Orchard tavern, near where the Braddock's
road crosses the National road, was a log house kept
by Hayhurst in the Old Orchard. It was supposed
to have been built about 1786, and was kept by Wil-
liam Carrol after 1790.

The Downer tavern was about one mile back of
Chalk Hill, and was kept by Jonathan Downer, who
came to it in 1813. Thomas Inks, Jr., kept here at
one time.

The Cushman tavern stood one mile north of j
Downer's. It was a log tavern, kept about 1784 by [
Cushman. About 1787, Tom Fossit (the old soldier
who, as some said, killed Gen. Braddock) kept here.
The house has long been gone. The Johnsons now
own the property.

About half a mile north from Cushman's is a ledge
of rocks where a peddler was said to have been killed
in early days for his money and wagon-load of goods.
The place is called " Peddler's Rocks."

Slack's tavern was one mile north of Cushman's.
Tom Fossit built a log house and kept tavern in
1783 on the top of the mountain at the Great Rock,
close to the junction of the Burd and Braddock roads.
Fossit soon left, and John Slack built a large log house ;
it was called Slack's tavern. The old Slack tavern is
gone, but about ten feet from it stands the house of
Fred Hamerer, who owns the place. The Great Rock
is about twenty-five feet from his house, but a quarry
being worked in it some years ago has greatly changed
its appearance. About two hundred and fifty yards
from it, just below the Old Braddock road, on the
Kennedy farm, where Allen Humphreys lives, is
Washington's Spring, at which he once made his i
night camp. North of the Great Rock fifty rods is a
high, projecting point on a hillside where the Half- |
King had his camp. 1

About a mile and a half east of the Great Rock are
the Three Springs, within a circle of two hundred
yards, on Trout Run, a head of Great Meadow Run.
On the right of the run is the Sand Spring, twenty-
five feet in diameter, water boiling up from clear
white sand. A rail twelve feet long has been pushed
down and no bottom reached. Next, a few yards
lower on the same side, is Blue Spring, about twenty-
five feet in diameter and ten feet deep, with a beauti-
ful rock bottom. Then on the left, higher up, and
reiilly the head of the run, is Trout Spring, about
twenty-five feet in diameter and about four feet deep,
the water clear and cold and containing trout.

The National road was built through Wharton
township in 1817-18. In February, 1817, the part of
the road from the Henrv Clay line to Braddock's



grave was included in a contract from David Shriver,
superintendent of the eastern division, to Ramsey &
McGravey, one section ; John Boyle, one section ;
Daniel McGravey and Bradley, one section; and
Charles McKinney, one section ; and in May of the
same year it was let to the Wharton line, and from
Braddock's grave to Uniontown. Hagan & McCann
and Mordecai Cochran were contractors on the road
to the summit of Laurel Hill, the township line.
They had many sub-contractors under them. From
Chalk Hill the road was to follow the Old Braddock
road to the top of Laurel Hill and then to Union-
town, but the superintendent changed it to the pres-
ent route.

The first tavern stand on the National road was
near Fielding Montague's. This stand is a matter
of dispute. Old Thomas Dean has no recollection of
Leonard Clark having three cabins here that were
burnt, and thinks, as Leonard Clark kept at the Burnt
Cabin, on the old Braddock road, and David Young
had two cabins burnt back of William Smith's, on the
road, hence this mistake of making them Clark's, and
locating them on the road as the Bush tavern. All
old people agree in making this first stand to have
been the Noe's Glade stand, a story and a half log
house, west of Fielding Montague's some three hun-
dred yards, kept by Flannigan and John Collier and
George Bryant. Some of these parties were not li-
censed. James Beard afterwards bought the house
and lived in it a while, and it was then torn down.

McCuUough stand, a two-story stone building and

a stage-house, was built and kept by Bryant,

somewhere about 1823, and Bryant's post-office was
kept here about 1824. Next Henry Vanpelt, a son-
in-law of Bryant, kept the house. After him came
John Risler, James Sampey, Adam Yeast, William
Shaw, Alexander Holmes, and Nicholas McCartney
in 1845, then Col. John McCullough bought the
property and kept till his death in 185.5. His widow
then kept a while and married Squire I. N. Burk, who
now occupies the property. Col. John McCullough
was a stock-drover from Ohio, and liking the country
as a business place, settled here. He was a man of stal-
wart proportions, a good talker, and a great champion
of Democracy. At this house, when Nick McCartney
kept, Atwell Holland was killed on the 4th of July,
1845, by a negro escaping from slavery. The negro
passing over the road was stopped by McCartney as
a runaway at the suggestion of some wagoners. Mc-
Cartney took the negro to the house, gave him some-
thing to eat, and leaving the house for a time left the
negro under the care of Atwell Holland, who had
married his sister Diana a month previously. The
negro watching a favorable opportunity, sprang out
the open door and ran. Several of the wagoners and
Holland, against the entreaties of his wife, pursued
him. The negro soon distanced them all, but Holland,
who was a very fleet runner, overtook him. The ne-
gro turned and stabbed him three times and then con-



WllAKTON TOWNSHIP



tinued his flight. The knife was a long dirk. Hol-
land fell, and his companions came up and bore him
back to the house. The impulsive and eccentric
Lewis Mitchel, a preacher, knelt by his side, and
while stanching his wounds with grape-leaves offered
a prayer for the dying man. He expired in a few
moments in the arms of his young wife. It was said
that when Holland breathed his last a party formed,
went to the Turkey's Nest, and laying in wait that
night, intercepted the negro on his way to Union-
town and shot him and concealed the body.

The third stand on the road was a two-story frame
house, about a quarter of a mile east of McCullough's,
and built by Bryant, who lived in it after keeping at
McCullough's. Col. John McCullough built an addi-
tion to it, and kept it. He was succeeded by Morris
Mauler, William Shaw, and Adam Yeast. A few
years ago Nicholas McCullough repaired the build-
ings, and kept a year. The property is now occupied
by a Mr. Glover.

The Rush stand was a large two-story frame house,

built by Bryant for his son. Charles Rush

bought it in 1838, and building to it, opened a house
for the traveling public. He kept till his death in
1846. He was a genial and generous landlord, be-
stowing many a free meal on hungry and penniless
applicants. His widow kept for a time, and after-
wards married William ' Smith. Mr. Smith kept
Adams & Green's express line wagons and other
travel until the road went down, and he still occupies
the property.

The " Bull's Head" was at the foot of the hill west
of the Rush stand, a frame building built by Thomas
Dean in 1824. Selling liquor and feed to drovers
was its principal business, and at night from the old
stands near a jolly crowd would gather to pass an
hour or so with song and drink and the music of the
violin. Stephen Dean continued a while after Thomas.
The house has been enlarged and improved into a fine
residence, and is now occupied by John Stark.

The " Sheep's Ear," next west, is a frame building,
which was kept by Edward Dean in the same man-
ner as the " Bull's Head." It was built about 1824
by Samuel Dean for a shop, and enlarged by his son
Edward for the accommodation of the public with
liquor and feed, and was resorted to for amusement
as the " Bull's Head." It was kept by Dean & Bogle.
F. H. Oliphant, the great ironmaster, put a line of
teams on the road, and they made a stopping-point at
Edward Dean's. There is no account of how or why
these two Dean houses received their peculiar names.
The property is now occupied by Akerman.

The Old Inks stand was next west from the Sheep's
Ear, and within one mile of Farmington. It was a
frame two-story building, built by George Inks about
1820, if not earlier, and kept by George Inks, Heckrote,
John Risler, Samuel Clemmens, and Nick McCartney.
The property is now occupied by the Widow McCart-
ney.



The Farmington stand was a log house, built here
by Squire James Bryant. It was kept by Bryant,

! Connor, Tantlinger, and his widow until 1H37, when
Judge Nathaniel Ewing bought the property and
built the present large and commodious stone and
brick structure. A man by the name of Amos first
kept it, and then Sebastian Rush, Sr., bought and
kept it until the time of his death, in 1878. The
j)roperty is now occupied by his widow. The old log

( tavern stood on the site of the present building, and
was supposed to have been built about 1818. The
present building was a stage stand, and was the stop-
ping-place of the Stockton mail line when kept by

I " Boss Rush." Mr. Rush once pointed out to the
writer, when stopping with him, a room in which

I Gens. Jackson, Harrison, Taylor, and Scott had slept,
and told him that Sam Hou.ston, Henry Clay, Tom
Corwin, and Jenny Lind had lodged under his roof.

The Frazer stand was west of Farmington one-
quarter of a mile. It was a two-story frame building,
supposed to have been built by Samuel Spau, kept by

I his widow, and then by Samuel Frazer. It was a

j wagon stand. The property is now owned and occu-

! pied by G. W. Hansel, who came from Maryland to it

I in 1833.

I The John Rush stand is a two-story frame building,

j about one-quarter of a mile west of the Frazer stand,
built by John Rush in 1845, when the pike was be-
ginning to decline; kept by John Rush and H. Clay
Rush. He sold the property to his brother, "Boss
Rush," whose son, Sebastian Rush, Jr., now occu-
pies it.

The first building of the Mount Washington stand
was an old log house, kept by Edward Jones and
Mitchel. The present large brick house was built by
Judge Ewing about 1825, who sold the property to
Henry Sampey. Kept by Henry Sampey, and after
his death by his widow, then by his sons-in-law, Fos-
ter and Moore. It was a stage stand. The Good
Intent stage line stopped here. The property is now
owned and occupied by Geoffrey Faceubaker, who

I came to it in 1856. It is about half a mile west of the
John Rush stand.

The toll-house, next west, is an angular stone

I structure, built in 1829. Hiram Seaton was the first
keeper. He was elected county treasurer twice, and
died in Missouri. One of his sons, Charles S. Seaton,
was elected to the Legislature, and resides in Union-
town, a prominent merchant. Robert McDowell was
the ne.\:t. He was commonly called " Gate Bob," as
there were several Robert McDowells. Although
crippled by rheumatism, he was considered a rough
customer in a fight; tall, angular, and severe in ap-
pearance. He ran for county commissioner in 1854,
but was defeated. The old toll-house has a keeper
no more, and no tolls to collect. The jiroperty is
owned by Dr. K. M. Hill, and is occupied by a family
as a residence.

I The Monroe Spring stand is next west of the toll-



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



house, aud was built by W. S. Gaither for McKinney,
a contractor on the road, in 1821. It is a two-story log
house, weather-boarded, kept by W. S. Gaither, James
Frost, Samuel Frazer, Germain D. Hair, John Shuff,
John Longanecker, Sebastian Rush (who went from
here to Chalk Hill), William McClean, John Rush,
Morris Mauler, John Dillon, P. Ogg, Peter Turney,
and John Foster. The old house still stands, but has
gone to wreck The property is now owned by Dr.
R. M. Hill. At the spring close to the house John
Hagan, a contractor on the road, gave President
Monroe a dinner. The President, throwing wine in
the water, christened it Monroe Spring, from which
the house soon built derived its name. W. S. Gaither,
who built the house, had a contract on the road. He
came from Baltimore.

The Braddock Run stand is next west of Monroe
Spring House. A two-story stone house, built about
1820 by Charles McKinney, a contractor on the road,
who afterwards went to Ohio. It was a wagon stand,
and derived its name from being near Braddock's
Run. It was kept by Charles McKinney, James

Sarapey, Samuel Frazer, John Risler, Springer,

William Shaw, and Noble McCormick. Squire James
Dixon bought the property of Henry Gaddis, a son-
in-law of Springer, and Dixon's heirs now occupy



Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 191 of 193)