Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 192 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 192 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the property.

Fayette Springs Hotel is next west of Braddock Run
stand. It is a large two-story stone house, which was
built under direction of Hon. Andrew Stewart for a
fashionable summer resort, and not for a regular
stand. Col. Cuthbert Wiggins built the hotel in 1822.
It was kept by Col. Wiggins (who came from Union-
town), William McMillen, John McMullen, John
Risler, John Rush, Earl Johnson, Brown Snyder,
Samuel Lewis, Darlington Shaw, J. H. Wiggins (son
of Col. Wiggins), Redding Bunting, C. W. Downard,
and Capt. John Messmore, and is now occupied and
kept by A. G. Messmore.

The Chalk Hill stand is a large two-story frame
building, with commodious stabling attached, be-
speaking ample comfort to man and beast. It is next
west of Fayette Springs Hotel. The oldest part of
the building was erected by Jonathan Downer in
1818, when he moved from his stand on the Old
Braddock road. It was a wagon stand, and was kept
by Jonathan Downer, Springer Downard, William
Neal, Sebastian Rush (1840), Judge Samuel Shipley
(who went to Monroe in 1847J, William Shipley, and
Milford Shipley. John Olwine bought the property
in 1869, and kept until 1875. Marion Arnett kept in
1875, and from 1876 until the present William J.
Olwine, son of John Olwine, has had charge and ac-
commodated the traveling public. When the road
was built the workmen shoveled up here a white-look-
ing earth and called it chalk : hence the name of
Chalk Hill. Gen. Jackson and his nieces stopped
here overnight, and the general returning home from
his second term, stopped to see David Downard, who



was sick. Gen. Harrison stopped here, also Black
Hawk when going to Washington. Two of Chalk
Hill's landlords ran for associate judge, — Samuel
Shipley on the Democratic, aud Sebastian Rush on.
the Republican, ticket. The county being Democratic,
Shipley was elected.

Snyder's stand is next west of Chalk Hill, at the

' eastern foot of Laurel Hill. It is a two-story frame
building, the first part of which was built by David
Jones in 1820, who kept and rented to James Snyder.
Jones had taken up the land as vacant on which the

! buildings stood, but a man by name of McGrath in
Philadelphia and Snyder bought from him and built
an addition and kept it. He rented it two years,
then taking charge himself again. He is the last of
the pike landlords in Wharton. He is now over
ninety years of age, and the oldest man in the town-
ship. He was elected county commissioner almost
without opposition, and was a surveyor for many
years, and has been a very prominent citizen of
Wharton. He came from Brown's Run, in Georges
township, near Uniontown, where he married Mary
Brown, his wife. They had four children, — Simon,

j Stephen, Lewis, and Margaret.

Squire Benjamin Price's cake- and beer-shop was
next west of Snyder's stand, on the side of Laurel
Hill. Price built a stone and frame house, its chim-
neys being but little above the bed of the pike; on
the hillside below the pike he planted an orchard, and
kept cakes for sale. The house has gone to ruin.
The squire was a tall, heavy-set, broad-faced man,
light complexioned, with blue eyes and light hair.
As justice of the peace, he fined the wagoners and
drovers when they swore in passing his place, and
they in return annoyed him by throwing clubs and

■ stones on his roof, and, it is said, once on a time a
couple of drovers threw a crippled swine down his
chimney, for which they received a sound beating at
the squire's hands.

The Summit House is at the summit of Laurel Hill,
almost on the western boundary of Wharton. Col.
Samuel Evans built a two-story frame building and
several outbuildings, intended for a summer resort.
It was kept by Ephraim McClean, who went to Illi-
nois, by Henry Clay Rush in 1855, Brown Hadden, S.
W. Snyder, John Snyder, William Boyd, and Nich-
olas McCullough, the present occupant. Mollie Cal-
houn's cake-shop stood close to the Summit House.
It was a rude cabin or shanty, in which the old
woman sold cakes and beer. When the Summit
House was built Old Mollie was dispossessed of her

i cabin, which was then torn down, and she disap-
peared from the great thoroughfare.

Fayette Springs. — About a quarter of a mile south
of Chalk Hill is the celebrated Fayette Springs,
whose chalybeate waters have cured many sick and
afflicted. Dr. Daniel Marchant, of Uniontown, came
up to Dftwnard's about 1814. examined the spring,
and repnrti'(l it valuable. A man of the name of



WHARTON TOWNSHIP.



837



Marsh built a log house to accoiiiniodatc visitors.
The Hon. Andrew Stewart built a large building here,
which burned down a few years ago. Brown Hiidden
at present is keeping a summer resort in the house that
was built in place of the building burned down.

VILLAGES— MAIL SERVICE— BUSIXESS ENTER-
PRISES.

Farmingtoii. — A log tavern was the first house here,
and Mr. Connor kept a few goods in it. A. L Crane
kept store next, and two houses were built. Peter
T. Laishley kept goods, and Mrs. Andrew L. Crane ;
then Mr. Sterling kept a store, and the place was
called Sterling's Cross- Roads. Morgan Jones came
next, and the village was given its present name.
Sebastian Rush came in charge of the Farmington
stand and built up the place. In the mercantile busi-
ness Daniel Witherow .succeeded Jones, and was fol-
lowed by S. Rush, James Dixon, C. H. Rush, Hat-
field, and Thomas Rush. Farmington consists often
houses,— T. Crutchman, farmer; Dr. S. W. Newman;
John Taylor, farmer; Alfred Fisher, laborer; Thomas
Rush, merchant; Mrs. S. Rush, hotel; J. Turney,
laborer; Adam Span, farmer; G. Cunningham, black-
smith ; and James McCartney, farmer. A new store
is being fitted up by Camp & McCann. From Farm-
ington Morgan A. Jones removed to Philadelphia,
where he became a broker. His brother David re-
moved to Wisconsin, and became Lieutenant-Gov-
ernor of that State ; S. E. Jones went to Colorado,
where he was elected probate judge; John Jones re-
moved hence to Kentucky, where he became an ex-
tensive ironmaster. Thomas Rush, the postmaster,
served creditably in the war of 1861-65.

The village of Farmington is located at the inter-
section of the old National road and the Falls City
road. It is surrounded by a good farming country,
and is regarded as a pleasant summer resort.

Gibbons' Glade. — At this place about 1847, Samuel
Morton, from Virginia, built a saw-mill and log house.
Christian Harader bought of him, and in 1849 built
the flouring-mill and three dwelling-houses. A man
named Sanborn lived here, and people called the
place Sanborntown, and from that nicknamed it
" Shinbone," and the post-oflice was at first so called.
On the waters of Gibbons' Run, the post-ofiice was
changed to Gibbons' Glade in 1875, and the village
■was named the same. Its location is at the junction
of two roads, and on the run. It has five dwellings,—
S. Thomas, mill-owner; J. Fike, farmer; John Cool-
ing, blacksmith; Daniel Johnson, distiller; Joseph
Guiler, clerk. The mill was built by C. Harader,
and sold to Jacob Fike, by him to John Harader,
by him to Abraham Thomas in 1855, by him to John
Umble in 1860, by him to Thomas Frederick, and
by him to Sylvanus and William Thomas in 1869.

The store was first kept by Jacob Zimmerman ; he
was succeeded by S. Griffith, P. McClellan, H. Har-
net (who built present store-house), Carrol & Hara-



der, John W. Carrol, J. Hardin, J. Campbell, Inks
& Umble, Inks, Inks & Prinkey, Chidester, Daniel
Johnson, and John O'Neil.

£'«iOi!/TOi'&.— Benjamin Elliott in 1817-18 built the
saw- and tlouring-mill here. His son, S. D. Elliott,
succeeded him and made improvements. In 1845 he
opened a stock of goods. He was succeeded by Mey-
ers & Kennedy, Hagar & Dice, J. E. Patton, S. D.
Elliott, Benjamin Elliott (who built the present store-
house), S. D. Richey, and Dr. R. M. Hill, at present,
with a stock of dry-goods and drugs. Situated at the
junction of two roads, the village has two streets,
Water and Farmington, with nine dwellings. It is

! favorably located for a business place, and is the cen-
tre and voting-place of the Wharton Independent
School District, formed by decree of court Dec. 9,
1864, on report of Adam Canan, Robert McDowell,
Jr., and John Snyder.

Dr. R. M. Hill, of Elliottsville, was born in Wash-
ington County, Pa., in 1842 ; attended Hoge's and
Georges Creek Academies ; entered the service in the
war of the Rebellion under Col. M. S. Quay, Co. C,
134th Penn. Vols. ; fought at Second Bull Run, South
Mountain, and Shepherdstown, and was wounded in
the left side and right arm at Chancellorsville. After

' the war he read medicine with Dr. Chalfant. He
attended the Western Reserve Medical College, and
received his diploma from Jefferson College. He

' located at Farmington with a good practice, and at

I present is located at Elliottsville. In 1876 he was
elected to the Legislature by a large majority, run-
ning in advance of his ticket, and serving meritori-
ously in the Legislature of 1877-78.

S. D. Elliott, the founder of the village (born in
1809), has long been identified with the interests of
Wharton, holding at different times nearly every
elective ofiice in the township.

Mail Service. — At the opening of the National road,
in 1818, Bryant post-office was established, with James
Bryant as postmaster. Bryant moved to Squire Burk's,
and removed the office with him. It was moved back
to Farmington, and in 1838 Morgan Jones named the
place Farmington, and the post-office was changed
from Bryant to Farmington. The successors in the
post-office have been Andrew L. Crane, Joseph Ster-
ling, Morgan Jones, Daniel Witherow, Hair, S. Rush,
C. H. Rush, James Nixon, and the present postmaster,
Thomas Rush, and until 1860 it was the only office
in the township. In 1860, Chalk Hill post-office was
established, William McMillen, postmaster. After
him were John McMillen, John Rishler. Robert
Sproul, William Sproul, and Margaret Downer. It
was changed to Fayette Springs post-office, and
moved to Fayette Springs Hotel ; postmasters, Alice
Bunting, C. W. Downer, Capt. John Messmore, and
A. G. Messmore, present postmaster. In 1870, Shin-
bone post-office was established through the instru-
mentality of Hon. John Covode, and Sylvanus
Thomas was appointed postm;ister. In I87.5 the



838



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



name of the office was changed to Gibbons'. In
1881, Thomas resigned, and Joseph Guiler was ap-
pointed postmaster.

Mail Routes. — The Farmington route from Union-
town to Farmington was established after the pilce
went down, instead of the old through route from
Wheeling to Wa-shington. S. Eush for many years
was contractor, then McCullough a year, and Calvin
Dean at present is contractor.

Farmington and Brandonville (W. Va.) route,
No. 8615, was established 1870, with Fielding Mon-
tague contractor, who has had the route ever since.

Distilleries.— In early days a man by the name of
Miller had a distillery in Wharton. There was no
market for grain, and people took grain to this di.s-
tillery, and got their whisky in kegs, and carried it on
pack-horses east, and traded for iron, salt, and store-
goods.

After Miller's still-house went down Jacob Sailor
built one near it. John Rutter passed it on his way
to the McCollum place in West Virginia, lost his
way in a snow-storm, and was frozen to death. In
1861, Zar Hart built a distillery, then in Henry Clay,
but now in Wharton. In 1872, Daniel Carnes came
in possession, and ran it until 1876, with C. W. Dow-
ner ganger, and John Farmer, of Nicholson, store-
keeper. From 1876 to 1878, Capt. John Bierer ran it,
with Robert McCracken ganger and store-keeper.
From 1878 to 1881, Philip Dennis ran it, with Mc-
Cracken as ganger and store-keeper. Daniel Johnson
has bought the machinery, and will move it to Gib-
bons' Glade, to be placed in a distillery to be erected
there.

Millx. — A Mr. Cross had a tub-mill near Kingham's,
on Mill Run, in an early day, about 1790. Jacob
Beeson built a tub-mill for Richard Cheney (near
Simon Hager's place) about 1795. But the oldest
mill in the town.ship seems to be Cross' tub-mill,
near the Stewart line, on Bissel's place, formerly
owned by Harvey Morris. Thomas Dean recollects
it in 1814, and it then was called " the old mill," and
was the great mill for corn, while they went for wheat
to Selbyspor;. The Carrol mill was an old mill.
Benjamin Elliott built his mill on Sandy in 1818,
and Joseph Victor built a mill in 1830 on Mill Run,
which burned down. The mill was built with the
intention of starting a furnace. The property is
now owned by Beeson & Snyder.

The Gibbons' Glade mill was built in 1849 by C.
Harader, this and Elliott's being the only two mills
(now) in the township. Peter Kime had a mill and
uarding-machine where Asbury Carrol lives, but it
went down about 1830.

Tanneries. — There was a small tannery at John
Moore's about 1800. The next tannery was Beaver
Creek tannery, started in 1840 by Z. Ludington, next
run by Kane & Cope, then William Armstrong, and
now by Levi Byerly. It is in Tinker Ridge settle-
ment, close to the Stewart line. SyUr's tannery.



on Mill Run, was started about I860, and is still
running.

Wharton Furnace.— li\ 1839, Hon. Andrew Stewart
completed Wharton Furnace, and put it into blast
and ran it several years ; he then rented to John D.
Crea, of Brownsville, then to Kenedy Duncan, who
employed Alexander Clair as his manager. Col. D. S.
Stewart then ran a short time. After him came a
succession of proprietors, by whom it was run till
about 1873, when it was finally abandoned. Hon.
Andrew Stewart's heirs still own the property. Ore
and coal are plenty, but the distance, over bad roads,
to haul the metal is the great trouble in running the
Wharton Furnace.

Stores. — John More kept a few goods near Squire
Isaac Armstrong's, and this was the first store in the
township. Andrew L. Crane kept goods at Mount
Washington about 1820, and moved his store next
Washington Hansel's house, where a thief came down
the chimney and robbed him. About the same time
one Conner kept a few goods at Farmington, in the
old log tavern. Crane next kept at Farmington, about
1835. Squire S. D. Elliott opened out a stock of
goods at his mill in 1845, and Jacob Zimmerman,
about 1856, put a stock of goods at Gibbons' Glade.

Physicians. — Dr. Hasson was at the Inks stand
about 1860, and Dr. Dunham at Gibbons' Glade about
the same time. Dr. Lewis came next to Farmington,
followed by Dr. R. M. Hill, and Dr. S. W. Newman
in 1880, while Dr. L. W. Pool was at Elliottsville
from 1874 to 1876, and then removed to Grant County,
W. Va.



There is no account of who taught the first schools
in Wharton, which were private, or pay-schools by
the quarter. An old log school-house stood on the
pike near Farmington, and another on the Lake farm
beyond Elliottsville. Aug. 19, 1837, is the first record
of a school board under the free school system. A
meeting was then held to locate school-houses.
They located ten school districts, and ordered that
Miss M. A. Reynolds teach at Elliott's, Joseph Con-
ner at Moore's, James McCartney at Dean's, and
Benjamin Payton at Carrol's. The sum of $110 was
appropriated to build one school-house, and $116 to
build another. Teachers' wages were, for females,
$10; males, S15 per month ; and three months' terms
were taught. In 1841 the school tax was $293. From
1840 to 1860 the leading teachers of the township were

William Smith, Amos Potter, Stuller, George

Matthews, and John E. Patton. The school-tax is
heavier than in most townships of the county, show-
ing a deep interest by the citizens in their schools.
During the winter of 1875-76 the teachers of the
township met at Farmington and organized a literary
society, whose debates of more than ordinary interest
drew crowded houses. A. C. Holbert and J. M. Har-
baujrh, on tin- pnrt of the ti'acliers, and Dr. J. T. Bea-



WHARTON TOWNSHIP.



839



zel and Dr. E. M. Hill were the leading spirits, whose
ingenious arguments will long be remembered.

The following statistics are from the school report
made in 1880 :

Number of districts (running, 12; vacant, 2; ind., 1).. 15

Number of school-houses, frame 15

Number of teachers employed 1.3

Amount paid teachers, $1538, Wharton ind., SI 5(1.

The teachers for 1880 were Miss Jennie Sproul,
John Eush, J. C. W. McCann, John Hansel, C. L.
Smith, John Carrol, E. Carrol, J. C. Berg, C. Woodfil,
P. C. Brooks, L. Workman, E. Augustine, and E. Mc-
Clellan.

Following is a list, nearly perfect, of those who
have been elected school directors in Wharton from
the time the township conformed to the requirements
of the public school law (in 1837) to 1881, viz. :

1837. — Joseph Price, Joseph Henry, James Sampey, Daniel

Carrol, Charles Griffin, Alex. Harvey.
1838.— James Sampey, Samuel Potter, J. iM. Sterling, Charles

Griffin, Alex. Harvey.
1839.— S. Potter, M. A. Jones, Charles Griffin, Ale.\. Harvey,

W. Hollaud, James Harvey.
1840.— S. Potter, Morgan A. Jones, Hiram Seaton, William

Gaddis, AV. Holland, Ale.x. Harvey.
1841. — Simon P. Snyder, Morgan A. Jones, John J. Hair, Hi-
ram Seaton, W. Gaddis.
1842.— S. P. Snyder, J. J. Hair, W. Kobinson, W. Thorp, James

Snyder.
1843.— S. P. Snyder, J. J. Hair, E. Mitchel, James Snyder.
1844. — A. Harvey, Samuel Potter.
1845.— E. Mitchel, S. Potter, James Goodwin, Robert Sproul,

J. Bryner, William Richards.



1846.— No r


ecord.


1847.— Jam


es Goodwin, W. Thorp, Amos Potter.


1848.- Amo


s Potter, G. Hair, Robert McDowell, H



1848 to 1868.— No school record.

1868.— C. W. Downer, A. Hayden, Joseph Stark, Jacob Prinkey,

W. A. Carrol, George M. Thomas, S. Rush.
1869.— G. W. Griffith, A. Hayden, N. McCartney, W. A. Carrol,

S.Rush.
1870.— G. W. Griffith, A. Hayden, L. W. Fike, N. McCartney.
1871.— G. W. Griffith, A. Hayden, L. W. Fike, John Wirsing,

J. M. Dixon, W. A. Carrol, S. Rush.
1872.— J. M. Dixon, A. Potter, A. W. Carrol, John Wirsing,

C. McQuiUen, L. W. Fike, S. Rush.
1873.— G. W. Hansel, Amos Potter, W. A. Carrol, John Wir-
sing, N. McCartney, C. McQuiUen, S. Rush.
1874.— No record.
1875.-James M. Dixon, A. Potter, L. W. Fike, John Wirsing,

6. W. Hansel, N. McCartney.
1876.— G. W. Hansel, A. Potter, L. W. Fike, N. McCartney,

S. Thomas, J. N. Wiggins.
1877.— R. P. McClelland, A. Porter, Samuel Hager, J. Prinkey,

J. N. Wiggins, John Wirsing.
1878.— E. L. Facenbaker, S. Hager. R. P. McClelland, John

McCullough, J. Prinkey, Thomas McCartney.
1879.— E. L. Facenbaker, S. Hager, John Dice, John Hersh-

berger, Thomas McCartney, J.acob Prinkey.
1880. — E. L. Facenbaker, S. Hager, John Dice, John Hersh-

berger, Thomas McCarty, John Wirsing.
18S1.— S. Hager, John Dice, John Hershberger, John Wir-

sini. Alex. Rush, Robert Dalzell.



RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS.
For years after the settlement of the township re-
ligious services were conducted at private houses by
ministers of different denominations.

Prmbyterian. — The first denomination to effect an
organization was the Presbyterian. The Presbytery
of Eedstone, on March 24, 1842, organized the church
of Mount Washington, electing Seth Hyatt and Si-
mon Snyder ruling elders. The following thirty-two
persons constituted the organization : Benjamin El-
liott, Solomon Elliott, S. D. Elliott, Mrs. Mary Elliott,
Miss Mary Elliott, Eunice Elliott, John Eobison and
wife, Seth Hyatt and wife, Mrs. Susan Crutchman,
Miss Ester Conaway, Mrs. Lizzie Long, Mrs. Sophia
Tuttle, Mrs. Shafer, Mrs. Eeynolds, Miss Belinda
Eeynolds, Mrs. James McCarty, Mrs. James Matthews,
Mrs. John Eisler, Mrs. W. A. Gaither, Miss Elizabeth
Gaither, William Gaither, Mrs. Hill, Christina, Jane,
Nancy, Eobert, and John Hill, Simon Snyder, Miss
Sarah Stewart, and Morgan H. Jones.

In May, 1842, the first fifteen named persons or-
ganized Brown's Church near EUiottsville. Both
churches were log buildings, but in 18.57 at Mount
Washington a neat frame church was erected. Rev.
J. Stoneroad was instrumental in founding the
churches and was their minister, succeeded by Eev.
Eosborough and other occasional supplies until 1850 ;

, from 1850 to 1870, Eev. J. Stoneroad ; from 1876 to
1878, Eev. E. T. Price ; from 1878 to 1881, Eev. S. S.

I Bergen. Elders : in 1846, S. D. Elliot* was elected ;

j 1861, John Snyder; 1866, G. W. Hansel, Eobert O.

j Jones, and James McCann. Brown's Church is now

i unfit for holding services in, and the members attend

j when practicable at Mount Washington.

Methodist Episcopal. — In 1841, Amos Potter, Mr.

I and Mrs. Harned, Mr. and Mrs. Hair, Mr. and Mrs.
Carl formed a class at Potter's school-house. Eev.

! David Hess was one of the first ministers. Services
were held at several places in the township, and in
fall of 1855, Eev. Eaton, from Petersburg, held a
meeting near William Smith's, on the National
road, and formed a ela-ss. Nicholas McCartney,
Mary A. McCullough, John, Thomas, Samuel, Ste-
phen, Jane, Sally, and Catherine Dean, John, Jo-
seph, Sarah, and Lavina Stark, and twenty-seven
others (forty in all) formed this class. It organized
itself as the Sansom Chapel (Methodist Episcopal)
Church, and built in 18.57 the Sansom chapel building

j on the National road. Tinker's Eidge class was organ-
ized in 1860 (with Stephen Dean class-leader) ; Chalk
Hill in September, 1859, but went down ; Fairview
class at Haines' school-house in 1863, with John Wir-
sing as class-leader, members from West Virginia
belonging, but they withdrawing in 1873 the class
went down. Eev. Cooper was the first minister after
Sansom Chapel was built, followed by Rev. James
Hill, Thomas Storer, James Hollingshead, John
Eobinson, Z. Silbaugh, P. Burnworth, and others.
The Rev. Daniel J. Davis is at present in charge.



840



HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA.



Bap(isf.—Oa Dec. 3, 1846, at Potter's school-house,
Nathaniel West, Eli Tuttle, John Detwiler, James
Williams, M. Fry, Gabriel Cook and wife, and others
organized Bellevue ( Baptist) Church ; they removed to
near EUiottsville, and held services in Brown's Church
and the school-house. John Detwiler and Nathan-
iel West were elected deacons. Rev. Lewis Sammons
was their pastor from June 21, 1851, to April, 1854 ;
Rev. John Williams from 1854 to 1865. In 1858 they j
built a small neat church near EUiottsville, which '
was destroyed by fire in 1874. The Rev. W. P.
Fortney was pastor in 1874 and 1875. j

German Baptist, or Brethren.— Ahont 1850 the j
Brethren held services at Canan school-house, near
Gibbons' Glade, and at Workman school-house, under j
Elder Jacob Thomas. In 1871, Solomon Workman,
one of the members, objected to using the (Work- |
man) school-house as a place of worship because the
polling-place had been removed from Sickles' to the '
school-house, and though not a wealthy man, rather
than violate his conscience by worshiping in a house
where elections were held he built out of his own
means a neat frame church near the school-house and
called it Bethel, though some of the young men called
it Solomon's Temple. The arched ceiling of the
building renders it the best building in the township
for public speaking. The Revs. Jacob Beeghley,
James A. Ridenhour, and J. C. Meyers have since
held services, and at this time (1881) Elder Solomon
Bucklew has charge of Bethel and Canan. Canan
still uses the school-house at Gibbons' Glade, and
both are in Sandy Creek District.

Cumberland Presbyterian.— In 1845 the Rev. An-
drew Osborn formed a branch of this church at Pot-
ter's, Mrs. Amos Potter, Daniel Carrol and wife,
Mr. Sampey, John Patterson, and others constituting
the organization. Rev. Osborn held services till 1860,
Rev. J. P. Baird afterwards for a few years, and he
then removing to a distance, the organization being
feeble and without a pastor became scattered.

Catholic. — For many years members of this church
have been residents of the township, and the Rev.
Fathers Develin, Gallagher, and Duftee have held
services at different points in the township, and the
members at one time prepared to erect a church on
the National road.

Evangelical Association, or Albright Methodist. — In
1850 this denomination organized at Potter's school-
house, the Cupps and Hangers being among the first
members. Revs. Doll, Rishman, and Hyde were the
early ministers. They hold service at the Armstrong
and Independent school-houses. The preacher from



Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 192 of 193)