Franklin Ellis.

History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men online

. (page 64 of 193)
Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 64 of 193)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

is found until four years later), so that instead of the
whole of the Stone Coal tract, Jacob Beeson purchased
only a part of it (about two hundred and thirty-six
acres), and the remainder (about one hundred acres)
was sold by Henry Beeson to William Campbell.
For some cause which does not appear, Henry Bee-
son had never received a patent for the " Stone Coal
Run" tract, surveyed to him fifteen years before, and
now that the tract was sold in parcels to Campbell
and Jacob Beeson, these purchasers naturally pre- J
ferred that the patents should issue directly to them,' '
which was done in March of the following year.

^ In the ceturn of a survey of a tract of 217 acres, made to William i
Campbell in 1780, tlie survey, r (Alexander McClean) makes the follow- j
ing description and remarks: " Situate on a branch of Redstone Creek, i
about one mile from Union Town, in Union township, Fayette Contity,
and contains a part of a survey made for Henry Beeson by order of sur-
vey No. 3455, which survey was formerly returned into the surveyor-
general's office; but the said Henry Beeson having sold the part de-
scribed to William Campbell, and the residue to Jacob Beesou, and tliey
desiring to have separate patents, I resurveyed the same agreeable to
their purchase."

The patents were issued to Campbell and Jacob Beeson in March,
1785, as above mentioned, and about three years later (Feb. 13, 178.S)
they received deeds from Henry Beeson of all his right, under warrant
Ko. 3455, to and in the tracts in question, viz. ; that sold' to Jacob Beeson,
containing 236^^ acres, with an allowance of six per cent, for roads, and
"including my improvement made in 1768, near Tliomas Douthet and
John llenthorne." and that sold to William Campbell, containing '' one
hundred and four acres, sliict measure." The consideration paid by
Campbell was £40, and by Jacob Beeson, fur the " Mount Veruon" tract,

The part which was purchased by Jacob Beeson
was named by him " Mount Vernon," and on a part
of this tract he platted and laid out two additions to
Uniontown, which are referred to in the following re-
citation found in a deed in the register's ofiice, .viz. :
" Whereas the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by
l)atent dated March 28, 1785, did grant unto Jacob
Beeson a tract of land called Mount Vernon, and
whereas Jacob Beeson did lay out a tract of land ad-
joining the town of Union, and called the same 'Ja-
cob's Addition,' and did afterwards lay out another
tract called ' Jacob's Second Addition,' " etc. By this
the fact is shown that two additions were laid out by
Jacob Beeson on the Mount Vernon tract west of
Morgantown Street, though no' plats of them are
known to be in existence, nor has the date of their
laying out been ascertained.

Another addition to the town was laid out at about
the same time by Henry Beeson, on the southwest
part of the Mill Seat tract, and called "Henry's Ad-
dition." Reference to this addition is found in a deed
from Henry Beeson to Jacob Johnson, dated Feb. 27,
1802, as follows: "Whereas the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania, by patent dated llth day of August in
the year 1786, did grant unto Henry Beeson a certain
tract of land called Mill Seat, situate on Redstone
Creek, in the county of Fayette, on which the town
of Union had been previously erected, and whereas
the increase of inhabitants made it necessary to en-
large the original town for accommodating of appli-
cants, the said Henry Beeson for that purpose laid
out sundry lots of ground on both sides of the road
leading from Uniontown to Cheat River, within the
limits of Mill Seat aforesaid, and called Henry's Ad-
dition." No map or plat of this addition has been
found, and it is believed that none is now in exist-

All lots in Henry's, as also in Jacob's First and
Second Additions, were sold subject to the same con-
ditions as those in the original plat of the town, and
in the cases of all lots through which Beeson's race-
way ran, the privilege was reserved to maintain and
repair it when necessary, and to enter upon the lots
for that purpose.

The first conveyance which has been found of lots
in Jacob's Addition is that of lots Nos. 9 and 10, to
Mary Beeson, April 12, 17S5. At later dates are
found deeds of various lots, among which were No. 6
to George Mitchell, Nos. 3, 13, and 14 to Jesse Graves,
No. 3 to Joseph Huston, and No. 5 to Dr. Henry
Chapese. Lot No. 19 was sold in 1794 to Joseph
Hedges. Afterwards it passed to Jacob Medtart, and
in 1811 was purchased by Thomas Brownfield, who
also, Oct. 5, 1807, bought lot No. 20, lying between
where his son Nathaniel now lives and Campbell's
Run, described as "situate on the north side of Fell's
Alley, along the west side of Mill Street seventy-two
and a half feet to the southeast corner of lot 19, thence


westward one hundred and fifty feet to Jacob Beeson's
mill-yard." The property, including the " White
Swan" tavern, was bought by him iu 1805. In the
conveyances of these lots, " Fell's Alley," as men-
tioned in these deeds, was afterwards widened, and
formed the part of Fayette Street which is west of
Morgantown Street.

One of the settlers on the original plat prior to
1786 was Samuel Salter, who in that year purchased
of Colin Campbell lot No. 43, west of John Collins'
tavern. On this lot Salter opened a public-house.
Later he kept where J. K. Ewing's residence now is.
His sons William and Samuel afterwards carried on
the foundry business on the site of the present school -
house. William became sheriff of Fayette County.
He removed to Hanging Rock, Ohio, where he died.
Samuel Salter, Sr., died in Connellsville.

Samuel M. King, a merchant from Adams Co., Pa.,
came to LTniontown as early as 1789, and on the 14th
of November in that year purchased of Aaron Booth
three lots, viz. : " Lot No. 25, lying on Elbow Street, on
the west side of the old mill-race in said town, and
the other two lots lying opposite to and south of lots
27 and 28." The first mentioned was adjoining the
lot of Ellis and Reuben Bailey. Mr. King kept a
store at this place till his death in 1803. His daugh-
ter Anna was married in 1817 to Dr. Robert McCall,
and after his death became the wife of Judge John
Huston. She is still living in the old stone house at
Redstone Furnace.

Benjamin Campbell was a silversmith who removed
from Lancaster, Pa., to Hagerstown, Md., in 1774,
and from the latter place came about 1790 to Union-
town at the solicitation of Samuel Salter, Samuel
King, Clement Brooks, Dr. Henry Chapese, and
Henry Purviance, each of whom advanced a small
sum as an inducement for him to come to and locate
in Uniontown to carry on his trade. He moved into
Alexander McClean's log house (the same which he
afterw^ards gave to his daughter, Mrs. Hadden), in
which he, Mr. Campbell, lived until the year 1800,
and in which his son. Dr. Hugh Campbell, was born
in May, 1795. On leaving this house Benjamin Camp-
bell removed to a dwelling where the First Na-
tional Bank building now stands. He died Sept. 24,
1843. His son John learned the saddler's trade with
John Woods, and was postmaster of Uniontown and
a justice of the peace for many years. Hugh, another
son, studied medicine with Dr. Daniel Marchand, be-
came a prominent physician in Uniontown, and died
Feb. 21, 1876. His sons. Judge Edward Campbell,
and Benjamin Campbell, are now living in Union-

Christian Tarr was a potter who carried on that
business on lot No. 29 of the original plat, a place
that may be designated as just west of Bank Alley
on the south side of Main Street. " Joseph Huston,
Iron Master," purchased lot No. 3 of Jacob's Addition
for £5 on the 2;)tli of Deceaibcr, 1791, and sold it to

Christian Tarr for £75, April 27, 1795. From this lot
Mr. Tarr procured the clay for use in his pottery.
Its location was on the south side of Elbow Street,
adjoining Jacob's Alley (now Arch Street), and is the
site of the present Eagle Hotel. Christian Tarr after-
wards removed to Jefferson township. He was elected
a member of Congress, serving from the year 1817 to

Another pottery in Uniontown was that of Abner
Greenland, who prosecuted his trade in a small log
building standing on the north bank of the raceway
just east of Morgantown Street. Cornelius Lynch,
father of Daniel P. Lynch (ex-sheriff), was a brewer,
who before the year 1800 was carrying on that busi-
ness on the west side of Morgantown Street between
South and Main Streets.

As early as 1793 a distillery had been erected, and
was operated by John Porter on a little run on the
east side of Redstone Creek southeast of the old gra\*e-

The assessment lists of Uniontown for 1796 show
the names of William Little, John Kinglin, and Wil-
liam G. Turner, " schoolmasters ;" those of 1798 men-
tion John Lyon and James Morrison as attorneys;
and in 1799, Isaac Wood appears as a schoolmaster,

Mowry and William S. Fry as printers, A. Si-

monson and Solomon Drown as physicians, and John
Canady (Kennedy), Thomas Hadden, and Thomas
Meason as lawyers.

Ellis Bailey and Reuben Bailey, brothers, located
in Uniontown as merchants about the year 1800.
The earliest mention that has been found of them is
I in a deed dated Aug. 14, 1801, by which George
Ebbert conveyed to " Ellis and Reuben Bailey, mer-
chants," lot No. 26, in Henry Beeson's original plat.
i The lot in question had been sold, April 13, 1790, by
Mr. Beeson to William and John Lee, together with
an out-lot lying south of the town plat. They sold
j the property to George Ebbert, in May, 1801, and he
to E. and R. Bailey, as mentioned. Upon this lot —
which is the same now occupied by Dr. Sturgeon —
Ellis and Reuben Bailey carried on their l)usiness as
merchants for many years.
I In the early years of Uniontown's liistory, Peter
■ Street was fully equal, if not superior in importance
to. Elbow, or Main Street, and the former was much
1 the most traveled highway, both because it was a
* better road, and because it led to the mill, the distil-
lery, the tannery, and other places of traffic. What
is now the rear of the Main Street lots was then occu-
pied by business places and residences fronting on
Peter Street.

The dwelling of Jacob Beeson stood on the site of

Mr. S. A. Gilmore's present residence, of which the

old house forms a part. This place was long the home

1 of Lucius W. Stockton, who was mail contractor on

' the National road for many years. A grist-mill was

built by Jacob Beeson on the east side of Campbell's

I (or Beeson's) Run, south of Elbow Street. Later it



was converted into a, siiw-mili by D;ivid Veecli. Mr.
Beeson also built a tannery, and carried on that
business near the foot of the hill, below the present
residence of Clark Breading.

John Miller, a tanner by trade, came to Uniontown
from Washington, Pa. He worked in the tannery of
Jacob Beeson, and became the husband of his daugh-
ter Rebecca. He afterwards built for himself a tan-
nery at the place where the old woolen factory stood,
and there carried on the business for many years.
He built the brick residence, which is still standing,
known as the Miller house. About 1835 he removed
to Illinois, and became one of the pioneer settlers at
Rockford, in that State. His oldest son, Jacob, was
born on Veech's Lane, Uniontown, and became prom-
inent here as a lawyer and editor. Other children of
John Miller are Mrs. Dr. David Porter and William
H. Miller, of Uniontown, and Alexander Miller, of

The first public-house in Beeson's Town was that of
John Collins, who, in the year 1780, purchased the
village lots Nos. 40' and 41 (where Commercial Row
was afterwards erected), and built thereon a log tav-
ern, which he kept until 1799. The earliest mention
of this tavern that is found in any record or other
document appears in the minutes of a " Court of
Appeal," ^ held by Alexander McClean, sub-lieutenant
of the county of Westmoreland, " at the inn of John
Collins, in Union Town, on the 8th day of May,
1782." Similar mention of Collins' tavern at later
dates is found in other parts of the same minute-

At the first session of the court of Fayette County,
in December, 1783, John Collins, Jonathan Rowland,
Daniel Culp, Matthew Campbell, and John Huston,
all of Union, and Thomas Brown, of Redstone Old
Fort, were recommended as suitable persons to keep
taverns.'' The place where Jonathan Rowland kept

1 The deed of lot 40 was made Mnrch 7, 1780, to "John Collins, Inn-
keeper," and the lot was mentioned as " being the same lott of ground
now occupied hy the said John Collins," which makes it probable that
he had opened liie tavern upon it in the previous year, 1779.

~ A sort of military court, which was convened from time to time to
hear the reports of the several militia captains, and to decide the cases
of men who had refused, or failed from whatever cause, to perform tlie
tours of military duty to which they had been assigned.

3 At the same session the court fixed tavern-rates as follows ;

£ .. d.

" A bowl of Spirit Toddy 16

A bowl of Rnm Toddy 1 3

A bowl of Whiskev Toddv 1

A bowl of Peach brandy toddy 1 4

A bowl of .\pple brandy toddy 1 2

Peach brandy by the half-pint 8

Apple brandy by ditto 7

Whiskey " " 6

Diet per meal 1 3

Hay per night 1 3

Pasture for 24 hours 6

Oats by the Quart 1!

Beer p. ditto 6

Cyder p. ditto 1 "

The following extract from the Ameriiaii Pioneer (vol. ii. p. 378) is
given as showing the extravagant prices of taverl

his tavern is not known. There is no record of a later
application by him for license.

Daniel Culp had purchased lot No. 25 (near where
Dr. Roberts now lives), on which he had erected a
log tavern, which he sold in July, 1784. The pur-
chaser was John Huston, who had been licensed in
December, 1783, but where the house was, which he
occupied prior to this purchase from Culp, does not
appear. The court records show that he was licensed
as an inn-keeper for two or three years after the pur-

Matthew Campbell bought, in 1784, lot No. 10, at
the west end of the present Fulton House, and erected
a log tavern upon it; but in 1785 and for several years
after that he was licensed in Menallen township.

In September, 1784, the names of William Patton
and William Brinton appear as inn-keepers. Two
indictments were brought against the latter for keep-
ing a tippling-house. The last indictment (in 1787)
seems to have driven him out, for his name does not
appear among the licensed tavern-keepers after that

Empson Brownfield opened a tavern in 1785. He
had purchased, March 7, 1780, lot 39, lying between
John Collins' house and the old mill-race, but had
not occupied' it, and it does not appear that he was a
resident in the village, for his name is found as a su-
pervisor of highways in Georges township in 1784.
But in 1785, having asked and received license to
keep a public-house, he opened tavern on his lot ad-
joining Collins' and continued to keep it until 1790.

Colin Campbell (whose name first appears in 1784,
in a deed conveying to him lot No. 43, on Elbow Street,
near where the Standard office is) was licensed as an
inn-keeper in December, 1785. In 1786 he sold his
property to Samuel Salter, for £140, but continued as
landlord of the house until 1789, when it was taken
by Salter, who kept it till 1810, when he removed to
Dunbar township, and opened a public-house there.
Before coming to Uniontown in 1789 he had been
for at least two years a tavern-keeper in Wharton

Margaret Allen was licensed as a tavern-keeper at
the June session in 1788. Her stand was on the east
side of the creek, where is now the residence of Wil-
liam Shipley. The locality was for many years known
as "Granny Allen's Hill." She died in 1810, at the
age of ninety-one years.

Patrick Logan and Jacob Kuapp were licensed in

years earlier, owing to the great depreciation of Continental money at
that time:

"The order book of Ohio County [Va] Cnurt contains the following
entry under date of June fl, 1780: 'Ordered, that the ordinary keepers iu
this County sen at the following rates: For half-pint of whiskey, J6 ;
breakfast or supper, $4; dinner,SR; lodging, with clean sheets, S3; one
horse to lay over night, S3; one gallon of corn, S6; one gallon of oats,
S4 ; half-pint of whiskey, with sugar, 88 ; a quart of beer, J4.'

"Oct. '2, 1780, the court increased the price of strong beer to 86 per
quart. March 6, 1781, dinners rated at 820, and breakfast and supper at
815, June 4, 1781, whiskey was ordered to be sold at 8S..50 per pint.
All this was, of courae, in Continental money."


1788. Logan's name does not appear afterwards, but
Knapp was licensed in succeeding years to 1792.

Dr. Robert McClure opened a tavern in December,
1792, on the west part of the ground now occupied by
the residence of Alexander Ewing. He kept the
house until 1813, and was owner of it as late as 1819.
In April of that year he advertised it for sale, men-
tioning it as " the house nearly opposite the court-
house, which has been occupied as a tavern, and is
one of the best stands in town."

Thomas Collins (son of John Collins, the pioneer
inn-keeper of Uniontown) received a tavern license
in 1794, and opened a house where the Tremont
building now stands, on the southeast corner of Main
and Morgantown Streets. This became one of the
leading public-houses of the town.' An open grass-
plat adjoining the house on the east was a favorite
resort for lawyers and clients during the terms of
court. South of and adjoining the tavern lot was the
market lot, on which stood the old w-ooden market-
house, though the date of its erection is not known.
Thomas Collins kept this tavern until 1811. In the
war of 1812 he was in command of a company locally
known as the " Madison Rowdies." When the major of
the regiment to which it was attached was wounded,
Capt. Collins, as senior line-otRcer, became major.

The one act of liis life which (though not entirely
unjustifiable J ho regretted more than any other, was
the giving of an unlucky blow to Patrick McDonald,
a hatter, who kept a shop west of Gregg's hotel, and
was a son-in-law of Christian Tarr. This man, when
under the influence of liquor, having applied oppro-
brious epithets to his wife, Capt. Collins promptly
knocked him down, and he died almost instantly
from the effects of the blow. Collins was arrested,
tried, and honorably acquitted, but the affair was al-
ways afterwards a source of great distress to him, for

I Capt John F Gi-aj tl

he had no brutal instinct in his nature, but was one
of the most amiable and kind-hearted of men.

Cornelius Lynch was licensed as an inn-keeper in
March, 1795. He owned and carried on a brewery on
the west side of Morgantown Street near Main, and
his tavern-house was doubtless at the same place.
After his death his widow kept a baker-shop there for
many years.

Richard Weaver, who first received license in June,
1795, kept a log tavern on Elbow (Main) Street, at or
near the present site of the McClelland House. Later
the property passed to William McClelland, who was
licensed as an inn-keeper in December, 1802. Alfred
McClelland, the son of William, built the McClelland
House, which is still owned by the McClelland family
and carried on as a hotel.

At the September session of 1796 there were before
the court forty-eight applications for tavern licenses
in the county, of which twelve were by parties in
Uniontown, among whom — besides such as have al-
ready been mentioned — were Joseph Baker, Anthony
Swaine, Ellis Bailey,^ John Slack, John Tarr, David
Morris, and James Langsley. John Slack's tavern
was on the corner of Meadow Alley and Main Street,
on the Judge Nathaniel Ewing property. In the
Fityette Gazette and Union Advertiser of Aug. 23,
1799,^ he made the following announcement:

" To THE PcBLic. — The subscriber respectfully in-
forms the Public that he continues to keep a House
of Entertainment at the sign of the Spread Eagle,
near the centre of Uniontown. He flatters himself
he will be able to entertain gentlemen to their satis-
faction that may be pleased to favor him with their
custom. John Slack.

" July 24, 1799."

Slack closed his business at the Spread Eagle in
1800, and in the same year received license to keep a
tavern in Wharton township. He remained there till
1810, when he was again licensed for Uniontown. He
was foreman of the jury in the trial of Philip Rogers
for the murder of Polly Williams. Three years later
he was again established in Wharton, and remained
there till his death.

At the September term of court in 1797 the follow-

1 la« of I
:ently iu Uniontown.

rhouiiis Hadden, Jiimes Morrison, and William Lyon, the managers
ntioned in the card, were members of the Fayette County bar. and
■ former was tlic grandfather of the Blessrs. Hadden, of Uniontowu.

- It appears probable, however, that Ellis Bailey was keeping a public-
house in Uniontown before that time, from a mention of '* Bayley's Tav-
ern," fuuiul in a notice of a celebration held here on "Independence
Day" of that year. The notice referred to was printed in the Western
Telegraphe. of Washington, Pa., of date July lOtli, in the year indicated,
and is as follows ;

"Union, July 4, 1706.

"This being an anuiversjiry of the Era so important to Americans, the
independent Companies of Cavalry and Infantry of this Town and
County assembled on this occasion, and after a display of military pa-
rade in honor of the Day, marched to the Court-House, where they were
joined by a number of Citizens from the Town and its vicinity, when the
following Oration was delivered by Doctor Solumou Drown. [Here fol-
lows a report of the oration.] The Cavalry then repaired to Mr. Bay-
ley's Tavern and partook of an elegant Repast . . ."

a In the same paper William Tingle informed the pultlic that he wne
keeping a house of entertainment at the sign of " Comnleice of Free-
dom," in Morgantown, Va.



ing names appeared for the first time as receiving
tavern licenses : Jacob Hagen, John McCormiclf, Sim-
eon Hendrickson, Rue England, Matthew Knapp, and
Uriah Martin.

James Gregg received his first license in Uniontovvn I
in June, 1798. His stand was on lot 37 of the origi-
nal plat (wliich was purchased by him Feb. 2, 1792),
being the site of the present residence of Dr. J. B.
Ewing. The tavern was kept by him until his death,
about 1809. In 1810 his widow, Nancy Gregg, was
licensed, and continued for some years to keep the i
house, which, under her management, is still recol-
lected by some of the older citizens. '

Ebenezer Bebout, Jesse Barnes, James Allen, John i
Rackstraw, and James Medtart were licensed tavern- :
keepers in Unioutown in 1798. Medtart's stand was
a log house that stood where Mrs. William Wood now j
lives, on Main Street. He, as well as Allen and Be- j
bout, closed about 1803. '

Pierson Sayres kept a public-house in 1799, on El- j
bow Street, where E. B. Dawson now lives. Daniel
Miracle and Lydia Hoffman also had tavern licenses j
in the same year. Mrs. Hoffman's place was in
Henry's Addition, on Morgantown Street, south of i
Fayette Street.

In 1801, William Downard opened business in a
log tavern, opposite Gregg's, on Main Street, where j
now are the law offices of Judge Ewing and Judge
Campbell. He continued there until about 1808. He i
afterwards kept at the " watering trough" on the side
of Laurel Hill, five miles east of Unioutown. '

James Piper received a license in 1801, and com-
menced keeping tavern on the south side of Main
Street, opposite the present residence of the Hon.
Daniel Kaine. There he swung the sign of " The
Jolly Irishman." He was a large, burly man, while
his wife, Isabel, was small of stature. It was her
custom to sit in the bar-room and spin, while she
chatted pleasantly with the patrons of the house.
At night she would frequently ask her husband,
" Weel, Jimmy, how much money have ye made the
day '!" His usual answer was, " None o' yer bizness.
Bell." But as he was generally pretty well intoxi-
cated at that time in the evening, she often managed
to secure a share of the proceeds, and lay it by " for ,
a rainy day." James Piper, the son of this couple, j
was their pride. They gave him fair educational
advantages, by which he was enabled to fill with
credit several county ofiices. Mrs. Piper continued

Online LibraryFranklin EllisHistory of Fayette County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men → online text (page 64 of 193)