Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 10 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 10 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

In Sept., 1822, Mr. W. Himt was appointed by
Pres't Monroe, Postmaster of St. Louis, to succeed
Col. Elias Rector. He held the position some
eighteen years and was in turn succeeded by
Thomas Watson, in 1840.

April 20, 1836, he was married, to Anne L. Hunt,
widow of his cousin Theodore Hunt, and died with-
out children in April, 1842, at the age of about 60

His widow, Ann Lucas Hunt, died April 12>
1879, aged 82 years, 6 months, 20 days.


a native of Ireland, came -to St. Louis in 1805,.
from Georgetown, District of Cokimbia, where he
had followed the vocation of an auctioneer.

He was the third sheriff of St. Louis, appointed
by Gov'r Wilkinson in Sept. 1806, and served as
such until l^ov'r, 1810, something over four years,
acting also as Collector and Treasurer.

S ft


St. Lonis is indebted to this gentleman for her
Washington Avenue. In the year 1818 he was the
owner of two of the forty arpent lots, lying be-
tween the additions of Judge Lucas on the South
and Major Wm. Christy on the north, the strip
being a mile and a half in length from Third Street
to Jefferson Avenue, and but 880 feet wide between
the above additions. Through the center of this
strip he laid out his Washington Avenue, 80 feet
wide, running its whole length, which he gener-
ously relinquished to the city without consideration,
leaving him but 150 feet in depth on each side.

Mr. Connor was never married. He died on
Sept. 23, 1823, aged about jfifty years, an intelligent
liberal gentleman.


was born in Carlisle, Penn'a, Jan'y 10, 1764.
When very young his parents removed to the Falls
of the Ohio, and settled in Jefferson County, Ken-
tucky, among the first to come there. In 1788
was appointed Lieutenant of a troop of Jefferson
County Cavalry, and in St. Clair's campaign of
1791, was an adjutant of a Kentucky regiment of
militia, and served in 1794 under Gen'l A. Wayne.
In 1792 Major Christy was married to Martha
Thompson Taylor, of Jefferson County, Kentucky,
and continued on his farm until 1804, when he
removed to St. Louis among the first Americans,


bringing- with him ample means and a number oi

In 1806 he opened a public house in the old Gov-
ernment mansion at the south-east corner of Main
and Walnut Streets, vphich he kept for a number
of years, patronized by the best classes of society.

In 1806 appointed a Justice of the Court oi
Quarter Sessions.

In 1807 appointed clerk of the same.

In 1809 elected a Trustee of the newly incorpo-
rated Town. And Major of the Louisiana Rangers.

March 1813, Presiding Justice of the Court of
Common Pleas.

1814, Auditor of accounts for the Territory, and
in 1820 Auditor same for the State.

1820, Appointed by Pres't Monroe Register of
the United States Land Office, which he resigned
in 1833.

Major Christy died at his residence, IN'orth St.
Louis, April, 1837, aged 73 years ; his widow sur-
vived him until 1849, their children were :

Sarah, the first wife of Doct. Bernard G. Far-
rar ; she died in 1817.

Mary Ann, married Maj. Thomas Wright, U. S.

Matilda, wife first of Doct. D. V. Walker, and
second of Col. J^. P. Taylor.

Frances, wife first of Maj. Taylor Berry, and
second of Judge Robert Wash.

Eliza, wife of Gen'l Wm. H. Ashley, member of


Harriet, wife of Capt. James Deane, U. S.

Virginia, married to Doct. Edwin B. Smith in
1838, yet living, and

Two sons, Edmund, who died unmanded, and

Howard, who married Miss Susan Preston, of


was born in Frederick County, Virginia, June 3,

"Immigrated" to St. Louis in 1804, and early
commenced speculating in Town lots and lands.
Soon perceiving the future advance and prosperity
of St. Louis, he had before the end of our Terri-
torial days made large acquisitions of vacant lands
in and about the Town, priiicipally in the southern
portion of it, so that, already considered a large
fortune, even in those early days, its value was
immensely increased in subsequent years by the
judicious management of his son-in-law, Thomas
Allen, who had married his only daughter.

Wm. Eussell died in St. Louis, July 14, 1857, in
his 80th year.


of County Fermanagh, and wife Elizabeth Brown,
Youghal, County Waterford, L^eland, landed in
Philadelphia in 1794, and soon removed to Bal-



In 1798 they came west and located in Frank-
fort, Ky. He engaged in mercantile business in
18U3, built a schooner and sent her with produce
to the West Indies.

In 1804 came to St. Louis, which thereafter was
his home, although himself and family frequently
absent ; his children were :

Ellen, died in France, in March, 1827.

Catherine, Mrs. Major Richard Graham.

Jane, Mrs. Chas. Chambers, married in iN^ew
York, 1817.

Anne, Mrs. Major Thos. Biddle.

Mary, Mrs. Wm. S. Harney, married Oct. 1,

Eliza, Mrs. James Clemens, married Jan. 10,'

Octavia, first Mrs. Dennis Delany, and second
Mrs. Judge Boyee.

And one son Judge Bryan Mullanphy.

John Mullanphy died at his house, North Main
Street, St. Louis, Aug't 29, 1833.


was born in Massachusetts, April 4, 17G8, educated
at Rutland, Worcester County, — a son of Silas
Bent, of Sudbury, Mass., who commanded the
famous " Tea Party " in Boston Harbor December

16, 1773.


In 1788 he came to Ohio and was one of the
first settlers of Marietta. He read law with Phillip
Doddridge, of Wheeling, Vir'a, afterwards he kept
store atCharlestown, Vir'a, and married Miss Mar-
tha Kerr, of Winchester. In January, 1802, he was
Postmaster at Brooke Court House, Vir'a, and in
18U3 deputy in the oflBce of the Surveyor General
Eufus Putnam.

Feb'y 17, 18U4, appointed associate Judge of the
Common Pleas of Washington Co., Ohio. In
July, 1805, Deputy Surveyor under James Mans-
field, Surveyor Oeneral. July, 1806, appointed
by Albert Gallatin, Sec. of Treasury of the
United States, to be principal Deputy Sur-
veyor for Louisiana Territory, and came to St.
Louis, Sept. 17, I80(i.

August 20, 1807, was appointed by Frederick
Bates, the first Judge of the Common Pleas and
Quarter Sessions, for the District of St. Louis.
JSTov'r, 180.S, by Governor Lewis, auditor of public
accounts, ISTov. 9, 1809, presiding Judge of St.
Louis Common Pleas, with Bernard Pratte and
Louis Labeaume associates, and on that day issued
the first Charter for the Town of St. Louis.
Jan'y5, 1811, appointed by Fred'k Bates, Auditor
of the Public accounts, and on September, 18 LI,
Judge of the Common Pleas by Governor Benja-
min Howard.

Feb. 21, 1813, was appointed,by President Madi-
son, Judge of the Superior Court of the Territory
of Missouri, Jan'y 21, 1817, was recommissioned


by the President, and held the office until
abolished by the admission of Missouri as a State
in 1821.

After the admission of the State, Judge Bent
received the appointment of Clerk of the St. Louis
County Court, which he held until his death, Nov.
20, 1827, in his 60th year.

His widow, Mrs. Martha Bent, died Aug't 20,

They raised seven sons and four daughters to

Charles, born in 1799, died single, Grovernor of
Taos, N^ew Mexico ; murdered.

Julia Ann, born in 1801, married July 24, 1817, to
Lilburn W- Boggs ; she died Sept. 21, 1820, aged
about 19 years.

John, born in 1803, married Sept. 15, 1829, to
Miss Olivia, daughter of Col. Jos. McClelland, of
Boone ; he died in 1845, aged 42 years.

Lucy, born in 1805, married Sept. 29, 1826, to
James Russell, of Oakhill ; she died March 2, 1871,
aged GG years.

Dorcas, born in 1807, March 12, married Dec. 10,
1829, to Judge "Wm. C. Carr; she died Feb'y 25,
1888, aged nearly 81 years.

William, born in 1809.

George, born in 1811, died unmarried in 1847,
aged 35 years, 6 months.

Mary, born in 1814, married in 183G, to Jonathan

Robert S., born in 1816, died unmarried Oct. 20,
1811, aged 25 years.


Edward, born in 1819, died in 1824, aged 5

Silas, Jr., born in Oct., 1820, married, and died in
1887, aged 67 years.


was a son of Walter Carr, and one of a numer-
ous family of brothers and sisters. He was born
in Albemarle County, Virginia, on April 15,
1783, he received an academic education and
studied the legal profession.

He arrived in St. Louis March 31, 1804, in' a
keel boat from Louisville, making the passage, as
he often used to say, in the ^^ short time of 25
days'''' one, of the earliest Americans after the
transfer. After remaining a month here, he went
to Ste. Genevieve, then a larger place than St.
Louis, to settle there.

He opened an office, was admitted to the- Bar,
and commenced the practice of law. A year
later discovering his mistake in location, he re-
turned to St. Louis, to settle himself permanently.

In the early history of St. Louis, Judge Carr
played a prominent and influential part in the po-
litical and social affairs of the place, and was very
successful in the management of his pecuniary
affairs having acquired a handsome competency.
In 1826 he was appointed by Gov'r John Miller,
to the office of Circuit Judge of the St. Louis
Circuit, succeeding Alexander Stuart in the office,


which position he held for nearly eight years,
resigning it in 1834, and was succeeded in March
-of that year by Judge Luke E. Lawless.

Judge Carr was twice married, first in Ste. Clen-
■evieve TsTov'r 17, 1807, to Miss Anna Maria Elliott,
daughter of Doct. Aaron Elliott from Connecti-
cut. This lady died August 11, 1826, aged
38 years, leaving three daughters, Anna Maria,
Virginia, and Cornelia, who subsequently became
the wives of Greorge W. Kerr, Charles Cabanne
and Thos. P. Dyer, and one only son, Charles
Elliott Carr, who died Sept. 22, 1826, one
month after his mother, in his twelfth year.

Judge Carr married his second wife. Miss Dor-
cas, the third daughter of Silas Bent, Sr., Dec'f
10, 1829, by whom he had five sons, Walter,
Dabney, Charles B., Thomas and Robert, and one

In l;il5. Judge C;irr built the fifth brick house
in St. Louis, and the first one for a dwelling
exclusively, at the South east corner of Main and
Sprnce streets, which still stands, one of the early
land marks.

Judge Wm. C. Carr died March 31, 1851, aged
6"< years, his widow and children then, all sur-
viving him, except the youth who died above.


was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, on May 4,
1774, of an English family of good descent.

In February, 17S)1, at 17 years, he studied law in


the office of Ephraim Kirby, at Litchfield, for two
years, and on reaching the age of 2L years, obtained
a hcense to practice in Connecticut. About the
commencement of the present century, we fiud him
at Home, Oneida County, New York, He soon be-
came well known as a promising young lawyer, and
was in correspondence with such prominent men as
Col. Aaron Burr, Vice-President U. S. ; Gideon
Granger, Postmaster-General ; De Witt CUnton,
and others at the seat of Government, from letters
of these parties addressed to him, found in Col.
Easton's papers after his death.

He spent the winter of 1803-4 in Washington,
and while there proposed to change his residence
from New York to New Orleans, and procured
letters of introduction , to influential parties of
that city, with which he left Washington in the
early part of March of that year. It seems, how-
ever, that Col. Easton changed his mind in that
matter, for on reaching Vincennes, Indiana, on his
way West and South, he concluded to remain at
that place, for a time at least, and obtained a license
to practice in the courts of that Territory.

He remained here but a few months,- and about
the time that Gen'l Harrison with the Indiana
judges vfent to St. Louis, to frame laws for Mis-
souri, Col. Easton accompanied them and took up
his residence in St. Louis.

He again visited Washington in the winter of

March 13, 1805, he'received from President Jef-


ferson a commission as Judge of the Territory of
Louisiana, and in March, 1806, was appointed by
the President United States Attorney for the
Territory of Louisiana. Early in 1805, when a
post-office was established in St. Louis, Col. E. was
appointed the first Postmaster, and held the position
for nine years, resigning the office in 1814, being
succeeded by Doct. Robert Simpson.

In 1814 he was elected Delegate to Congress, suc-
ceeding Edward Hempstead, and in 181(3 re-elected
to the same, serving four years in that office.

In 1821, when Missouri became a State of this
Union, Col. Baston was appointed by President'
James Monroe, United States Attorney-General
for the State of Missouri, which office he filled
for five years, after which he retired to private

Col. Easton removed to St. Charles in 1822, and
died there on July 5, 1834, at the age of 60 years.
His wife, whose maiden name was Smith, he had
married in the State of IN"ew Yoi-k, where his two
or three first children were born. She died in St.
Charles in 1848.

They had a numerous family of seven daughters
and four sons.

Mary, born in Pome, IS^ew York, married Major
Geo. C. Sibley, Sept., 1815 ; no children.

Joanna, born in Rome, l^ew York, married first
Doct. Pryor Quarles, 2 daughters ; secondly,
Henry S. Geyer, 2 sons.

Louisa, married Archibald Gamble, 7 children.


Kussella, married Thos. L. Anderson, of Pal-
myra, 3 sons.

Alby, married Jarnes Watson, St. Louis, 2

Sarah E., married Samuel South, of Palmyra^ 4
children .

Medora, born in St. Charles, married to Abner
Bartlett, New York, 4 children.

Alton R., born in St. Louis, twice married, 6

Joseph G., born in St. Louis, married to Miss
Smith, Connecticut.

Langdon C, born in St. Louis, of the U. S.
Army, several.

Henry C, born in St. Charles, married twice,

born June 23, 1807, in St. Louis, married first Miss
Eliza Ott at St. Charles ; she left 2 sons and 1
daughter. Second, Miss Emeline Noye, at St.
Charles, has 3 sons.

Col. Easton is now 81 years of age, and not a
gray hair in his head.


was born in New London, Connecticut, June 3,
1780, and studied law, and in 1801, admitted to


the Bar. After practicing three years in Rhode
Island, he came west in 1804, stopping; for a brief
period in Vincennes, and then settled in the town
of St. Charles. In 1805 he removed to St. Louis,
where, in his brief residence of twelve years, he
filled many public positions with credit to himself,
and satisfaction to the community.

In 1806, he received the appointment of deputy
attorney-general for the Districts of St. Louis
and St. Charles.

In 1809, appointed Attorney-General for the Ter-
ritory of Upper Louisiana.

1812, June 4, Act of Congress changed the name
from Louisiana to Missouri Territory, and Mr.
Hempstead was elected its first delegate to Con-
gress from west of the Mississippi.

In 1814. He was Speaker of the Territorial
Assembly of Missouri.

Mr. Hempstead was married on Jan'y 13, 1808,
to Miss Clarissa, daughter of Louis C. Dubreuil of
St. Louis. On August 5, 1817, in retui-ning
from St. Charles, where he had been attending
the election, Mr. Hempstead was thrown from his
horse, and died from congestion resulting from his
fall, on Aug. 9, 1817, after a brief illness of a few
days, at the age 37 years, leaving no children,
they having died young.*

* He was interred on Monday the llLh, at his father, Stephen Hempstead,
S'-'s., farm (•■.he proptrty of Ed. Hempstead), now forming the north-east
portion of BellefontaiQe Cemetery, his funeral was the largest that had
ever occurred in the country).



was born in Merionethshire, Wales, on February
10, 1759.

He came to the United States about the close of
the war of the Revolution with his first wife
and a son or two. He resided for a time near
Philadelphia, and came out to the new JS^orth-
west Territory as soon as it was organized, and
lived for some years in Vincennes, the seat of

Here he lost his first and married a second
wife, a Miss "Baeryer, from Pennsylvania, in the
year 1791.

A few years thereafter he removed to Kaska,skia,
about 1795, subsequently returned a second time to
Vincennes for some years, and then again to Kas-
kaskia for a short period.

In 1808 he removed across the Mississippi to Ste.
Genevieve, where he established his home. While
living on the east side of the River, he practiced
law in the courts at Kaskaskia and Vincennes,
and after establishing himself on this side, contin-
ued in the practice of his profession in Ste. Grene-
vieve and Washington counties.

In 1820 he was a member of the Missouri Con-
stitutional Convention from Ste. Genevieve County,
and after the formation of the State was appointed
a Judge of the Supreme Court, associated on the
Bench with Matthias McGirk and John D. Cook.

Judge Jones died in St. Louis, Jan'y 31, 1824,,


at the residence of his daughter Harriet, relict of
Thos. Brady, lacking but ten days of being 65
years, the then constitutional term of a Judge;
his children were :

Rice Jones, born in Wales, assassinated at Kas-
kaskia, Dec'r 7, 1808.

A daughter, born in Vincennes, in 1792.

A son, John, born in Vincennes in 1794.

A son, Augustus, born in Kaskaskia, in 1796.

A daughter, Mrs. Harriet Brady, born in Kas-
kaskia in 1798.

A son, Geo. W., born in Vincennes, April 12,
1804, living at Dubuque, Iowa.

And several more by his two wives.


was born in Pennsylvania of Irish parents about
the year 1776.

In 1 799 was appointed a Lieut, of Infantry in
the U. S. Army; his Regiment was disbanded in
1800, at Pittsburgh.

In 1804: he come to St. Louis, and engaged in
business early in 1806, at the Southeast corner of
Main and Pine, in which he continued for some few
years. In 1811 he sold this property and purchased
the old French house at the JSTorthwest corner of
Main and Spruce, whei-e he lived until 1820, From
his pleasant manners he soon made many friends,
and was very popular with the whole community.

In 1810 he was the fourth sheriff of St. Louis


During the war of 1812-15, he raised a Company
of mounted Rangers of which he was elected the

In 181.6, when Congress estabhshed a Land OflBce
for the St. Louis District, he was appointed by
President Madison tlie first Register of the same,
and held the Office four years, until he was elected
in 1820 the first Governor of the State, by a very
large majority over his competitor, General Wm.
Clark, also a very popular citizen of St. Louis.

In March, 1805, he was married to Miss Margaret
Reilhe, daughter of Antoine Reilhe, an old French
citizen of St. Louis.

They raised to maturity four sons and three

Governor Mc!N"air died in St. Louis March 18,
1826, aged about fifty years.


was born in Richmond County, Virginia, Sept.
21, 1757.

Was at the battle of Point Pleasant in 1774,
was under Gen'l Hand in 1777-1778, at the
battle of King's Mountain in 1780, and served
throughout the war of the Revolution in the
Carolinas and other Southern States.

He came to Louisiana at the time of the trans-
fer to the U. S., remained at St. Louis and vicin-
ity for some twenty years, about 1825 returned
to the South, and died in Hamburg, South Caro-



lina, Sept. 11, 1842, at the age of 85 years.
He filled many public positions of trust.

In Georgia he was a member of the State
Legislature, and Congressman. In Missom'i, a
member of the State Convention, and Legisla-
ture and first Receiver of Public Moneys at St.
Louis; in South Carolina Surveyor General of the
State, and Secretary of State.


was born in Hanover County, Virginia, about
the year 1782, and graduated at Princeton Col-
lege, IsTew Jersey, in 1802.

He came west shortly after graduating and
located in Indiana, and in 1804 came to Missouri
and entered upon the practice of the law in Ste.
Genevieve, where he remained until his death.

In 1817 he was elected the delegate in Con-
gress from Missouri Territory, and in 1820 the
first Representative in Congress from the new-
State, Missouri being entitled to but one member,
and again re-elected in 1822 and 1824.

In 1825, when the choice of President of the
United States devolved on the House of Represen-
tatives, he cast the vote of Missouri for John
Quincy Adams, for which mistake he was defeated
in 1826 and relegated to private life, Andrew
Jackson being the undoubted choice of a plural-
ity of the voters of Missouri for that ofiice.


Mr. Scott continued his practice as a Lawyer for
many years.

He was twice married.

His second wife was Mrs. Harriet, widow of
Thos. Brady, of St. Louis, and daughter of Judge
John Rice Jones; she had then three little girls.*

John Scott died in Ste. Genevieve in 1861, in
his eightieth year.


was born at Pointe Claire, Canada, April 14, 1768.
After leaving school at Montreal, he entered into
the Service of the Canadian Fur Company, and
was engaged for several years in the Indian Trade
at the Falls of ^N^iagara.

He came to St. Louis in 1795, and soon after
entered the service of a leading Missouri River Fur
trader as a clerk, in which he continued for some

Oct. 26, 1805. He married Marie Theresa
Papin, second daughter of Joseph M. Papin, quit
the fur trade and established a bakery.

He purchased from Peter Chouteau, Sr. , on Oct.
15, 1808, the south half of Block IS"©. 33, on the
north side of Market street, extending 300 feet
from Main to Church street, with a stone dwelling
4.8 by 30 feet, called large in that day, at the south-
east corner of 'the half block. He lived here for
many years, his bake house being on Market street

* Who grew up to become married 1adie«.


in rear of his dwelling, and in later years built for
himself a brick dwelling on south 3rd, below Plum
street, where he died on May 26», 1842, aged 74
years, leaving six children all grown and married.

Louise, who was married to Bernard Pratte, Jr.,
in July, 1824.

Leon, married to Miss Julia Demun.

Amanda, married to Doct. Auguste Masiare.

Atalie, married to Joseph S. Pease.

Julius, married to Miss Josephine Lane of St.

Julia, to Mr. Heiiry Gourdes of France, where
she still lives.

aug'ustik guiboed,

was born in the Parish of Mascouehe de la
Chenel, Montreal, in Canada, May 12, 1785, and
came to St. Louis in the fall of 1804, at the
age of 19 years, with a party of Hudson's Bay
Fur traders, without the consent of his parents,
he being a minor.

He was married in St. Louis by Judge M. P.

Leduc on July 6, 1811, to Marie Catherine

• Lacroix, daughter of Joseph Lacroix and Helene

Bissonnet, who was born in St. Louis on Feb'y

8, 1795.

He was a veteran of the war of 1812-15,
serving in the American forces, and continued
to reside in St. Louis until his death.

Augnstin Guibord died Sept. 12, 1860, aged
75 years and 4 months, and his widow l^ovember
26, 1872, at the age of 77 years and 9 months.

JNO. B. C. LUCAS. 213

Their children, who attained maturity, were :

A.ugustus, born May 12, 1815, who died Sept.
8, 1850, at 85, in Colorado.

Jnlia, born April 8, 1817, married first C.
Eichard, and secondly Bender.

Henri, born August 3, 1824.

Edward F., born March 8, 1826.

Angeline, born April 8, 1828, married Wm.
A. Luckie.

Edmund M., born April 16, 1830.


a veteran of two wars, when a young man of 22
years, served in the Mexican War, in Capt.
McKellop's Company, of Col. Easton's Regiment
from St. Louis in 1816-7, and again in the late
war as Captain of Artillery in the Confederate

He was married Aug't 23, 1852, to Miss
Louisa A., daughter of Saugrain Michau, who
was born April 26, 1836, at St. Louis, and died
Oct. 22, 1869, aged 33, leaving two sons, Henry
A., and John Louis Guibor.


was born in l!^"ormandy, France, in the year 1758.

He graduated in the profession of Law at Caen,

l^ormandy, in 1782, and practiced in his native

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 10 of 24)