Copyright
Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 11 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 11 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


place about two years, during which period he was



214 BIOGKAPHICAL.

married to Miss Anne Sebin, who born in 1764, was
six years younger than him.

In 1781, they came to the United States, and
settled on a farm on the Monongahela River, a
short distance above Pittsburgh.

In his early years in Pennsylvania he made some
trading voyages down the Ohio and Mississippi to
New Madrid, then a new place just started in 1787
by French traders. In 1791 he made another voy-
age to that place bringing with him Henry, a
young lad, son of Judge Brackenridge, of Pitts-
burgh, an intimate friend of Lucas, to be placed
with some French family where he might acquire
the French language.

In 1792 Judge Lucas was elected to the Legis-
lature of Penn'a, and afterwards was for a time
Judge of the Court of Common Pleas in his Dis-
trict.

In 1803 he was elected to Congress from the
Alleghany District, succeeding Albert Gallatin.

In 1805 he was appointed by President Jefferson
Judge of the United States Court in Upper Louisi-
ana, and, in conjunction with Clem't B. Penrose,
commissioners to settle land claims in Missouri, for
which purpose he removed to St. Louis with his
wife and family late that fall.

His five sors were :

Robert, bo .i 1788, entered the Army from West
Point in 1808; died Feb. 8, 1814.*



* At French Mills, on the St. Lawrence, a Major In the IT. S. Army,
at the age of 26 years.



CHAKLES LUCAS. 215

Charles, born Sept. 24, 1792; died Sept. 27,
1817, aged 25 years.

Adrian, born 1794 ; died in the year 1831, aged
37 years.

William, born 1798 ; died in July, 1837, aged 39
years.

Anne, born Sept. 23, 1796.

Jas. H., born May, 1800.

Mrs. Lucas died in St. Louis Aug't 3, 1811, aged
47 years, and Judge Lucas Aug. 29, 1842, aged 84
years, surviving his wife 31 years.

After the death of Mrs. Lucas in 1811, the
Judge built the first house on the hill, a small
stone, in his cornfield. It stood on the ground
whereon now stands the Masonic Hall at the north-
west corner of Market and 7th Streets, in which he
lived many years, the only house on the hill until
1816-17.

CHARLES LUCAS, ESQ.,

second son of Judge Jno. B. C Lucas, was born
near Pittsburgh, Penn'a, Sept. 25, 1792. At 13
years of age he came with his father's family to St.
Louis in 1805.

In 1806 he was sent to Jefferson College, Phila-
delphia, where he spent five years at his studies,
returning home in 1811 at 19 years, and then
studied law with Col. Easton.

In 1812 he joined a volunteer company in St.
Louis, afterwards assisting in organizing a^ com-
pany of Volunteer Artillery, stationed near Portage
des Sioux, of which he was elected Captain.



216 BIOGBAPHICAL.

In 1814, at the age of 22 years, admitted to the
bar of St. Louis.

Elected to the Legislature of the Territory.

Then appointed United States Attorney for the
Territory.

Killed in a duel with Col. Thomas H. Benton,
Sept. 27, 1817, at the age of 25 years and 2 days.

WILLIAM LUCAS,

was the fourth son of Judge John B. 0. Lucas.
He was born near Pittsburgh, Penn'a, in 1798, and
came here with his father's family in 1803 at 7
years of age. He read law in St. Louis with
Col. Easton, and at the proper age was admitted to
the bar. He died unmarried in 1837, aged 39
years.



OLEMEKT BIDDLB PBNEOSE,

of Philadelphia, and wife Anna Howard were
married about the year 1797, and lived at Frank-
ford, north Philadelphia. In 1805, he was ap-
pointed by the Pres't Thos. Jefferson, a commis-
sioner to adjudicate the claims to Lands in Upper
Louisiana, and came out to St. Louis in October
of that year, associated with Jno. B. C. Lucas,
and served as such until the completion of their
labors and the dissolution of the board.

Their five children, all born in Philadelphia, were

Chaules Bingham Penrose, Oct. 6, 1798.

James Howard Penrose, 1800.

Clement Biddle, ]S"o. 2, 1802.



THE PENKOSES. 217

And two daughters Mary Biddle Penrose, and
Anna Howard Wilkinson Penrose.

Judge Penrose when he arrived here had consid-
erable means, purchased a house in town and sev-
eral tracts of land throughout the country, bixt a
long life of idleness and extravagant living grad-
ually reduced his means, and in his old age he was
glad to accept the position of Justice of the peace,
which he held at the period of his death, May 15,
1829.

His oldest son Charles B. lived here vdth us until
21 years of age, in 1819, when he returned to Phila-
delphia, finished his law studies, and settled in Car-
lisle, Cumberland Co., became eminent at the Bar
and a prominent politician, a State Senator in 1833,
and re-elected to the same. In 1841 appointed by
President Wm. H. Harrison, Solicitor of the Treas-
ury, which office he held until the close of Tyler's
administration. In 1847 settled in Phila., his native
city, in 1856 again elected to the State Senate, and
died at Harrisburg, April 6th, 1857, aged 59
years.

After the death of Judge Penrose his widow,
with the two daughters and third son Clement Bid-
die ^NTo. 2, went south to Louisiana, and became
residents of the Parish of Jefferson, where in the
course of time they all died, the son leaving a
family.

The ladies of this family were very aristocratic in
their ideas, priding themselves very much on their
lineage.



218 BIOGKAPHICAL.

JAMES LOWIiY DOKALDSON,

"was born in the north of Ireland, of the ancient
Scottish family of the Lowrys, which was his
•original name. He came young to the United
■States, and was bred to the law in the City of
Baltimore, where his name was changed by Act
of the Legislature of Maryland, to Donaldson, to
■enable him to inherit an estate, that being the
condition of the bequest.

In 1805, he was appointed by the President
Thos. Jefferson, under the Act of Congress,
March 2^ 1805, " for the settlement of Land Claims
*' in the new Territories'," Recorder of Land titles
for Louisiana, to act with the two Land Cominis-
eioners. And in December of the same year, pre-
sented his commission as Attorney General for the
Territory.

When the Board organized in January, 1806,
in St. Louis, he took his seat with Judge Jno. B.
C. Lucas and Clement Biddle Penrose, and acted
with them for some time. About the year 1807,
he returned to Baltimore and resumed his profession
of the Law.

Ho lost his life at the head of his Regiment, in
the defense of his adopted Country, at the Battle
of North Point, near Baltimore, at the attack by
the British on that place, Aug't 13, 1814, and his
name is found inscribed on the monument erected
in "Monument Square" in that City, to the
memory of "the patriotic band who devoted their
" lives to the welfare of their country on that
■" memorable occasion."



WILLIAM MORRISON. 219

THE MORRISON BROTHERS

were amongst the most noted of the early Ameri-
cans of our Territorial days, being educated gen-
tlemen, they soon became prominent in their
respective communities. They were born at
Doylestown, county seat of Bucks County, 25
miles north of Philadelphia, one of the three coun-
ties originally organized by Wm. Penii himself in
1682. They were of Irish origin.

An uncle, Gray Bryan, was a prominent whole-
sale Dry Goods Merchant of Philadelphia, whose
name is found in the first Directory of that City
(1785) and for many years thereafter, and who
sold extensively to our early merchants of the
Mississippi Valley. In this long established house
of their uncle, these gentlemen successively
acquired their early business knowledge.

There were some six or seven of them.

William Morrison, the oldest, who had been
associated with his uncle in Philadelphia, came
out to Kaskaskia about the year 1795, and
lived to become a prominent man in the coun-
try, having stores at St. Louis, Kaskaskia
and Cahokia. He was twice married, first to
a lady in Illinois, after whose death he married
in 1813, a daughter of Gen'l Daniel Bissell, U.
S. A., and died in 1837 at Kaskaski, Ills. The
former distinguished member of Congress, Wm. K.
Morrison, is a grandson.



220 BIOGRAPHICAI,.

Robert Morrison came out in 1798 and settled
in Kaskaslda, and married first a daughter
of James Edgar, a brother of the noted Gen'l
John Edgar. After the death of this lady
Mr. Morrison married in 1806, Miss Donald-
son, who had come ont from Baltimore with
her brother previously mentioned. This lady was
highly spoken of for her literarj'^ taste and culti-
vation, and produced several articles, chiefly on
moral or religious subjects ; she died in Belleville
in 1813, and Morrison in Kaskaskia.

They left several sons, one of them, J. L. Don
Morrison, long a resident of our City.

James Morrison settled in St. Charles, married
Miss Saucier of Portage des Sioux, and was the
father of the late Wm. M. Morrison, of St. Louis,
the first Mrs. Geo. Collier, Mrs. Wm. G. Pettus,
Mrs. Francis Yosti and Mrs. Richard Lockwood,
all at %ne time of St. Louis.

Jesse Morrison came out to this place in 1805,
and for a time was associated with his brother
James at St. Charles, and subsequently in Galena, ■
Illinois. Like the most of his brothers, he raised
a large family.

Samuel Morrison came to Kaskaskia in 1807. He
spent some years in the Rocky Mountains as a
clerk of Manuel Lisa' s Company ; he returned in
1811, married shortly afterwards, and settled in
Covington, Washington County, Illinois, where he
died in 1828.



GEN'L DANIEL BISSELL. 221

Guy Morrison, the youngest, came to Kaskaskia
in 1814, became a partner of his brother William
in his Cahokia store, married the widow of Isaac
]^. Henry, the printer of Col. Benton's Enq;a%rer,
in St. Louis, in 1819-20, located a fine farm near
Collinsville, Illinois, in 1826, became very wealthy,
and died on his place in 18 — , and his widow but
a few years since ; they left no children.

At the present day the descendants of these
Brothers Morrisons are very numerous, scattered
throughout the west from Illinois to California.



GEN'l DANIEL BISSELL



the third in command at Bellefontaine, was born
in Connecticut about the year 1768, son of a Revo-
lutionary officer, was with St. Clair in 1791, a
Lieutenant in 1794, a Captain Jan'y 1, 1799, a
Lieut. Col. Aug't 18, 1808, and a Col. in 1812.
Brigadier General 1815.

He married at Middletown, Connecticut, in 1793,
Deborah Seba, daughter of Jacob Seba, from
Holland.

When a captain in 1799, he had command of
Fort Massac, on the Ohio, and on the death, of
Col. Hunt, succeeded him at Bellefontaine, where
he built the permanent buildings. After he was
relieved from Bellefontaine in 1813-14, he went
below to Baton Rouge and JSTew Orleans, and there
was mustered out in 1821.



222 BIOGRAPHICAL. -

He died Dec. 14, ISHS, at 65 years of age, on
his farm, Franklinton (nine miles north of St.
Louis, on the road to Cantonment Belief ontaine,)
where he possessed a large body of land. His
widow died 'Nov. 15, 1843.

They had three married daughters and a son.

EUza, married to Wm. Morrison, merchant of
Kaskaskia and St. Louis, July 20, 1813.

Mary, married to Risdon H. Price, merchant of
St. Louis, Aug. 30, 1815.

Cornelia, rnarried to Maj. Thompson Douglass,
Paymaster U. S. Army, Sept. 23, 1817.

James, the only son, after being at school in
Connecticut, went on to his father's place, of which
he became the owner after the death of his mother,
and lived there for some sixty years, dying but
very recently.



THE BISSELI BROTHERS,



born in Connecticut, were seven in number, and
all served in the war of the Revolution.

Major Russell Bissell, born in 1755, was a
Captain in 1793, in the 1st Regiment of
Infantry and promoted to Major in 1797, the
Regiment then garrisoning the different posts
in the ^Northwest Territory. It crossed the
Mississippi river to this side with Gen'l Wilkinson
in 1805-6.

He was the first commandant at the Cantonment
at Belief ontaine, where he died Dec'r 18, 1807,



CAPT. MACKEY WHERRY. 223'

aged 52 years ; the stone slab over his grave is
still in the little graveyard of the garrison.

A son, Lewis Bissell, was in after years a Cap-
tain, and suttler of the 6th Regiment, U. S. In-
fantry at Coiincil Bluffs, and died — at his.

residence near the Reservoir, Bissell' s Point.



CAPT. MACKEY WHERRY

was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, July 10,.
1766, and came out west in 1798.

He lived first at St. Charles, Missouri, after the
transfer to the U. S., where he established and oper-
ated a tannery for some years.

About 1804:-5 was appointed the first sheriff of
St. Charles County. During the war of 1812 he
commanded a company of Cavalry raised at St.
Charles, and at the close of the war in 1815 he
removed to St. Louis, and. was appointed Register
and Collector of the town.

At the incorporation of the city, April, 1823, he
was reappointed to the same position which he held
for four additional years, until 1827, when he was
sncceeded in the oflSce by his oldest son, Jos.
A. Wherry.

Capt. Mackey Wherry, was married March 19,
1800, at St. Louis, to Miss Louisa, daughter of the
Rev'd Ichabod Camp, dec'd.

They were the parents of several children, three
of whom attained maturity and married, the others-
dying young.



224 BIOGRAPHICAL.

Mrs. Wherry died in St. Louis, Aug't 6, 1825,
aged 57 years, and Mackey "Wherry Sr., in St.
Louis County, Aug't 3, 1828, aged 62.

Joseph A. Wherry, born Aug't 16, 1801, married
Amelia H. Horner 'Noy. 5, 1835, at Helena, Arkan-
sas, and died at St. Louis Feb. 13, 1843, Aet. 41, 6.

Mackey M. Wherry, born ISTov. 57, 1802, mar-
ried Elizabeth S. Horner March 8, 1832, at Hel-
ena, Arkansas, and died at Florissant June 26,
1864, Aet. 61, 7.

Dan'l Boone Wherry, born l^ov. 25, 1804, died
May 29, 1844, aged 39, 6 mos.



CHARLES BOSSEEOSr

was born in Vincennes, Indiana, and came to St.
Louis about the time of the transfer, and went
into the blacksmithing business at the north-west
corner of Main and our present Pine street, where
he conducted the business until his death, Feb. 6,
1828.

Jan'y 25, 1805, he married Miss Therese, daugh-
ter of Louis Brazeau Sr. ; their children were :

Therese, who married James Reed Oct. 12,
1825. He died May 17, 1828, and she married
again.

Susan, who married Russell Farnham, Oct. 27,
1829, and died Oct. 23, 1832.

Leontine, who married James Corse, Feb. 18,
1841.



COL. THOMAS HUNT. 225

Charles, who died a young man unmarried.

Francis, who died a young man unmarried.

Theodore, married Caroline W. Peacock, July
20, 1846.

Mrs. Theresa Bosseron Eeed, married her second
husband, Sam'l Cole June 19, 1834.

Mrs. Charles Bosseron Sr., survived nearly all
her children and died in Jan'y, 1874, aged near 90
years.

COL. THOMAS HUNT OF THE EEVOLUTION,

born in Massachusetts, a Lieut, in 1777, a Capt.
in 1779, Major 1793, Lieut.-Col. 1802, and
Colonel April 11, 1803, was the second command-
ing officer at Belief on taine, succeeding Major K.
Bissell, for the brief period of but seven months.
He died there July 17, 1808, and was laid along
side his friend and associate in arms.

Again six short months still later, Col. Hunt
was in turn followed by his wife, she died at the
cantonment Jan'y 15, 1809, and was laid by her
husband.

Thus within the brief space of thirteen months
were these three prominent personages laid to rest,
in that far distant land on the very conjBnes of civ-
ilization.

Col. Hunt left a son, a young. Lieut., iii the
Army, and two young daughters, who when grown
became, the one the wife of Col. Josiah Snelling
U. S. Army, and the other the wife of James Gr.
Soulard of this City.

15



226 BIOGRAPHICAL.

MA JOE THOMAS FOESYTHE

was born in Detroit, December 5, 1771 (his father
had come from Aberdeen, Scotland), and received
a plain education.

In 1793, with his step-brother, John Kenzie, who
was afterwards the founder of Chicago, he went
trading with the Illinois Indians.

In one of his trips to the east, he married at Ha-
gerstown, Maryland, a lady named De Maillot, and
in 1809 he located at Peoria, Illinois, at which place
he was appointed Indian Sub-Agent previous to the
war of 1812, and removed to St. Louis in 1815
or '16.

Mrs. Sarah Forsythe died ISTov'r 21, 1829, at
their residence North Main St., and Major Forsythe
Oct. 29, 1833, on his farm (now in Forest Park),
aged 62 years.

Their children were :

John, who died a young man of 21 years, a stu-
dent with Doet. Farrar.

Robert, born in 1808, died ISTov'r 1, 1872, aged
64 years, in Forest Park.

Mary, married Antoine R. Bonis, Oct. 14, 1835,
and died within a year.

Robert Forsythe, whose wife was Miss Anne Cul-
ver, left three children, William, Mary and Louis.



HON. PEEDEEICK BATES



was born in Belmont, Goochland Co., "Virginia,
June 23, 1777, of Quaker parents, but his father



GOV. FREDERICK BATES. 227

having fought for the Revolution was disowned by
the Church. Frederick was one of seven brothers,
Edward Bates being a younger one.

In 1797, at the age of 20, he went to Detroit,
where he was first engaged in mercantile pursuits,
and was for a time Postmaster of the place, and
U. S. receiver of public moneys, until its complete
destruction by fire in June, 1805.

In 1806 he removed to St. Louis, and was the
first Recorder of the Board of Land Commissioners
when the Office was created.

He was second Secretary of the Territory,
appointed May 7, 1807, by Pres't Jefferson, to
succeed Joseph Browne, temporary Secretary, un-
der Gov'r Wilkinson, and held the place for 13
years under successive Governors until the forma-
tion of the State Government in 1820, acting as
Governor in their frequent absences from the Ter-
ritory, and also as Recorder of Land Titles.

He compiled the early Territorial laws printed
in 1808, the first book printed in St. Louis or west
of the Mississippi.

In 1824 he was elected the second Governor of
the State, filling the office but one short year. He
died Aug't 2, 1825, on his farm in Bonhomme
Township, at the age of 48 years, leaving a widow
and four young -children. He was married March
4, 1811), to Miss Kancy, daughter of Col. John S.
Ball, of St. Louis County.



228 BIOGRAPHICAL.



in the year 1S03, were partners as merchants in
Philadelphia.

In 1808, Jacob Philipson came to St, Louis and
opened a store on Main Street, which he carried
on until 1811, when he quit business in that line,
but continued his residence in Missouri, generally
at St. Louis, until his death in January, 1858, a
period of 50 years.

He lived a portion of his time at Potosi, and
married in the southern portion of the State, his
children, of whom he left seven, being all born in
Missouri. He lived for the last ten years of his
life on South 3rd Street, and gave lessons in En-
glish, French and German until near the close of
his life.

SIMON PHILIPSON

continued to reside in Philadelphia, where his six
children were all born, until the winter of 1821-22,
when possessing some fine property in our near
vicinity he concluded to follow his two brothers
and make St. Louis his future home. His eldest
son, Joseph, an accomplished young man of eigh-
teen years, died about six months after they became
settled in the place, followed in a couple of years
by the death of his wife, an amiable well educated
lady, and again some years later by another son,
a lad of fourteen. It may perhaps be owing to
these repeated domestic afflictions, but Mr. Philip-
son never resumed business again.



JOSEPH CHARLESS, SR. 229

His oldest daughter, Miss Esther, was married
on March 31, 1829, at the ag-e of 20, to Lieut.
Eobert Emmett Clary, of the U. S. Army.

Mr. Philipsoii, haviug survived the most of his
children, died in August, 1841, naming his brother
Joseph his executor and trustee for his two daugh-
ters, Esther and Amanda.

This third brother, Joseph Philipson, Sr., came
to St. Louis in the year 1810, and purchased
Habb's brewery, the fii;st one west of the Missis-
sippi River, upon which he expended a large
amount in improving the works and in purchasing
other lands near by. In 1820-21, when financial
affairs were almost prostrated throughout the
country, Mr. J. Philipson became very much
embarrassed, and was compelled to part with all
his St. Louis property to meet his liabilities.
Being an accomplished musician, he was compelled
to adopt it as a profession, and for the balance of
his days it was his only resource.

He died in June, 1844, never having married.

These brothers were well educated refined gen-
tlemen, I think from Hamburg.



JOSEPH OHAELESS, 8K.,

was born in Westmeath, Ireland, July 16, 1772.
Being implicated in the Irish Rebellion of 1795, he
fled to France and sailed for the United States,
arriving in IS'ew York in 1796. He added an s
to his name of Charles, in order to write it as it was



230 BIOGRAPHICAL.

pronounced " Oharless." He settled in Philadel-
phia, and being a printer he worked for a time on
William Duane's Aurora in Franklin Court.

In 1798 he married Mrs. Sarah McCloiid, nee
Jourdan, a widow with one son, Robert McCloud.
In 1800 he removed with his family to Lexington,
Ky., where he established a newspaper.- In 1806
removed to Louisville, Ky., and in 1808 to St.
Louis, Louisiana Territory, where he established
the first paper west of the Mississippi Kiver, the
"Missouri^'' Gazette, the first number being issued
July 12, 1808. The following year he changed its
name to " Louisiana Gazette " as more a,)propriate,
and in 1812 again to '^^ Missouri Gazette,^'' the name
of the territory being so changed.

Mr. Oharless, Sr., was the proprietor of the paper
some twelve years. In Sept., 1820, he disposed of
it to James Cummins, from Pittsburgh, who con-
ducted it for eighteen months, and re-disposed of
it to Edward Charless, the oldest son of Joseph
C, Sr., who changed the name to Missouri He-
publican, and issued the first number under that
title, March 20, 1822.

Mr. Charless, Sr., some years thereafter estab-
lished a wholesale Drug and Medicine house, asso-
ciated with his son, Joseph Charless, Jr.

Their children were :

Edward, born in Philadelphia, April 12, 1799 ; he
married Miss Jane Stoddard at St. Charles in March,
1823, and died without children June 22, 1818,
aged 49 years and 2 months.



JOSEPH CHAELESS, JR. 231

John, born in Lexington, Ky., in 1801; he died
in St. Louis, Aug't 31st, 1816, aged 15 years.

Joseph, Jr., born in Lexington in 1804, married
Miss Charlotte, daughter of Peter Blow, Sr., in
St. Louis, l!^ov'r 8, 1831.

Ann, born in Lexington, in 1806, married first
to Amos Wheeler, May 26, 1822 ; he died June
S, 1822. Secondly, to Charles Wahrendorff, Sept.
8, 1823; he died Aug. 27, 1831, aged 41 years;
and third, to Beverly Allen, Oct. 16, 1832. And
she herself died Nov. 1, 1832, fifteen days after
her third marriage.

Eliza, born in Louisville in 1808, married to
John Kerr, St. Louis, Aug. 29, 1«27. She died
without children June 5, 3833.

Joseph Charless, Sr., died July 28, 1834, aged
€2 years.

Mrs. Sarah Charless died March 4, 1852, in her
80th year; her son, Robert McCloud, born in 1795,
died May 1, 1832, aged 37 years.

JOSEPH CHARLESS, JR.,

born at Lexington, Ky., Jan'y 17, 1804, was early
put to the case, didn't like it and went to school,
read law with Josiah Spalding, aiid finished at
Transylvania, Lexington, and tried law for some
years ; not to his taste, he went into the Drug
business with his father in 1828.

Married Miss Charlotte Blow :N'ov. 8, 1831 ; died
June 3, 1859 (assassinated by Thornton), in his
56th year, leaving but one daughter, afterwards



232 BIOGRAPHICAL.

the wife of Louis S. Le Bourgeois, of Louisiana,
both now deceased, leaving several children.

Mrs. Jos. Charless still survives at a very ad-
vanced age.



THE M'KNiaHTS AND BRADTS

were an L'ish crowd, numbering some four or
five * of the former, and several of the latter.
The whole gang came to St. Louis together, row-
ing their own boat down from Pittsburgh, and
reaching St. Louis early in 1809, the principals
being John McKnight and Thomas Brady, who
had formed a copartnership at the east.

They opened a store at once and being enterpris-
ing intelHgent men, the house of McKnight &
Brady was not long in acquiring prominence, and
soon became extensively known for its enterprise
and public spirit. In 1810 they purchased a lot of
60 feet front, the southwest corner of Main and
Pine, with an old stone house of the primitive
French days. Here they transacted their business
for the next six years.

In 1816, they erected on this lot a double brick


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 11 of 24)