Copyright
Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 13 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 13 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Sept. 13, 1820, aged 63.

Capt. Hempstead, Sr., died in St. Louis Oct. 3,
1831, aged 77 years 5 mos.



was born in New London, Connecticut, May 13,
1787, and was bred a hatter. In 1808, when he had
reached 21 years of age, he emigrated to St. Louis,
where his brother Edward had gone before him, and
where he arrived on July 15, 1808.

Li 1819, his brother-in-law Manuel Lisa, a Mis-
souri Fur trader, employed him to take a stock of
goods to the mouth of the Yellowstone river,
where he remained a considerable time and then
returned to St. Louis, and soon after located in St.
Charles, where he resided several years. Thence
he went to the gold mines of Virginia, thence to
Tennessee, and finally back to Missouri in 1861,
since which time he has resided in Callaway
County.

Mr. S. Hempstead, Jr., was married in January,
1809, at Portage des Sioux, St. Charles County, to
Miss Marie Louise Lefevre, of that village. He
died at his home in Callaway County, June 3, 1873,
at the age of 86 years and 21 days. He was gored
to death by a furious bull.

CHARLES S. HEMPSTEAD, ESQB.,

the fourth of the numerous sons of old Capt. Stephen
Hempstead, Sr., was born in New London, Conn't,



THOMAS HEMPSTEAD. 253

in 1793, and came here with his father's fainily in
1811 ; he read law in his brother Edward's office
until the death of, the latter in 1817. After finish-
ing his legal studies he was admitted to practice.

May 15, 1819, he was married to Miss Rachel
Wilt, a sister of Christian and Andrew Wilt, bo^rn
in Philadelphia in 1795. She died Oct. 28, 1823, at
the age of 28 years, leaving two sons, Charles and
Edward. Mr. Hempstead remained in St. Louis for
some years after his wife's death, and about the
year 1828 he removed to Galena, Illinois, where he
resided for many years until his death at an ad-
vanced age but a few years back.

After his removal to Galena, he married a widow
Barnes, one of his sons married a daughter of Major
John P. B. Gratiot, and settled in Arkansas, Hemp-
stead County, in that State being named from him.

THOMAS HEMPSTEAD,

the fifth son of Stephen Hempstead, Sr., was born
in IS^ew London, Connecticut, in the year 1795, and
came to St. Louis with his father's family in 1811,
at the age of 16 years.

Of a restless roving disposition when young, he
was for a few years engaged in the Indian trade of
the Missouri.

After he became of age he appeared to settle
down to business, purchased several pieces of choice
property, which he resold, realizing a handsome
profit on them, and was supposed to be prospering,
when in 1825 he suddenly left St. Louis and never
returned.



BIOGRAPHICAL.

In 1819 he was appointed U. S. Military Store-
keeper for St. Louis, and Paymaster of the Missouri
Militia.

Ahout 1841, a brother, William, having good
grounds for believing him dead, made application to
the Probate Court for letters of administration on
his estate.

Mr. Hempstead had married in 1817, Miss Corne-
lia, daughter of Judge Henry Vanderburgh, of Yin-
cennes, Indiana ; they had but one child, named
after her mother, Cornelia V., who subsequently
became the wife of a Jno. D. Wilson, and with the
mother continued to reside in St. Louis for a num-
ber of years thereafter.



JOSHUA PILCHER

was born in Culpepper County, Virginia, March 15,
1790 ; came to St. Louis during the war of 1812-15.
Originally a hatter by occupation, being a gentle-
man of intelligence and enterprise, he engaged in
mercantile pursuits, associated for some time with
Col. Thos. F. Riddick, who was a relative.

About the year 1820 he engaged in the Fur trade
of the Upper Missouri River, in which pursuit he
spent a number of years, and acquired a thorough
knowledge of the various tribes of that region.

At the death of Gen'l Wm. Clark, in 1838, Mr.
Pilcher was appointed by President Van Buren to
succeed him in the office of Superintendent of In-
dian affairs at St. Louis. This position he filled



JUDGE PETER FERGUSON. 255

for about five years, dying here, unmarried, on
June 5, 1843, aged 53 years, 2 months and 21
days.

HON. JUDGE PETER FERGUSON

was born Jan'y 26, 1788, in Scotland, supposed at
Edinburgh. He earne to America a young man,
and settled at Norfolk, Virginia, where in the year
1809, he married a lady of Princess Anne County.

In the war of 1812-15, he was a captain and
commanded a company at Norfolk. In 1817 he re-
moved to St. Louis and for a time followed his trade
of a plasterer. He was appointed a Justice of the
Peace by the Hon. Fred'k Bates, acting Governor
of the Territory in 1818, and in 1819 was elected
Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Town, in
which year the first street paving was done, on Mar-
ket Street from Main to the Levee.

He was a member of the Board of Aldermen for
several years, also an Assistant Clerk in the County
Court and Recorder's Offices.

In 1841 a Probate Court being established, he
was elected the first Probate Judge, serving contin-
uously until 1858, a period of over seventeen years,
during all which time he failed to hold his courts
but one term and that from sickness only.

Judge Ferguson died June 15, 1863, aged 75
years. He left but one son, Wm. Findley Fergu-
son, born in Norfolk, who succeeced his father as
Probate Judge, serving one term of six years, and
died in August, 1883.



256 BIOGKAPHICAL.

JOHN W. HOTSTEY,

the stepbrother of Col. Thos. F. Riddick above, was
born at Suffolk, Virginia, Oct. 2, 1789. In 1809 he
followed his brother to St. Louis, and was employed
as a clerk to assist him in the Land Commissioner's
office.

On Sept. 22, 1810, when not yet quite 21 years of
age, he was married to Miss Marie Antoinette, the
youngest daughter of Sylvestre Labbadie, Sr., de-
ceased.

They lived together for about five years', when
from some cause they parted and were. divorced in
the year 1815.

Mr. Honey was again married on March 13, 1817,
at Herculaneum, Jefferson County, to Miss Clarissa,
daughter of Mr. Elias Bates, and took up his resi-
dence at that place, where he lived lintil his death
on Sept. 2, 1832, at the age of 43 years.'

A daughter is the wife of our former Governor
Thos. C. Fletcher.

Marie Antoinette Labbadie, after her separation
from her first husband, Jno. W. Honey, was mar-
ried Oct. 19, 1816, to John Little, an Irish gentle-
man ; she died Feb. 18, 1818, after a brief marriage
of but 16 months at the early age of 25 years
without children.

John Little died in October, 1820.



MABAMB ANGELICA PBSCAY.

In the territorial days of St. Louis, there were
several ladies here who from their natural abilities.



MAD'E A. PESCAY. 257

superior education, and a tact for business, played
important parts in the community. One of the most
conspicuous of these, was the lady whose name
heads this article.

Her maiden name was Angelica La Grange, of a
noted old family of France, where she received her
education, and became the wife of a Francis Pescay,
of the Island of St. Domingo, from whence at the
negro insurrection of 1793, they came to Philadel-
phia, where they kept a retail store for some years.

In the year 1810, being a widow, she came to St.
Louis with her two sons, G-eorge, the eldest, a
young man just of age, and Julius, some years
younger ; they brought with them a stock of mer-
chandise and opened a store. In January su.cceed-
ing, 1811, George Pescay left for New Orleans in a
keel-boat with a cargo of lead, the proceeds of their
stock of goods. The boat was snagged, sunk,
cargo lost and young Pescay drowned. After the
old lady had somewhat recovered from the terrible
shock, finding it necessary to engage in something
for her support, and encouraged by sympathizing
friends, she concluded to open a day and boarding
school of a superior class for young ladies, there
being at that day none in the west. With this pur-
pose she purchased an eligible lot on the Second
street, erected a suitable building, issued a prospec-
tus, and opened her Academy in May, 1812.

She was successful in her enterprise, well patron-
ized by our first families, and completed the educa-
tion of a number of young ladies of the place and
vicinity. She continued in this occupation about

17



258 BIOGRAPHICAL.

four years, when her other son, Julius, having
grown to manhood, and herself perhaps desiring a
change, she gave up the Academy and again em-
barked in business. In 1822 they removed to Pen-
sacola, Florida.

Julius Pescay, having a short time previously
married a Miss Marinot, from Philadelphia, an old
family acquaintance. They all died in the South.



MICHAEL TESSOX

was born in the Island of St. Domingo. He was
the son of — Tesson and Elizabeth Payre, and
with his brothers, Pierre and Francis, were refugees
from the Island in 1793 to Philadelphia, and came
to St. Louis in 1810 with Madame Pescay and her
sons.

Mr. Tesson was married in St. Louis on February
14, 1811, to Miss Adelaide B., daughter of —
Barrousel, a former Attorney of Port de Paix, de-
ceased, at the residence of Mrs. Pescay, who was
her guardian, and went into business with that lady
about the same time. In 1812 the partnership was
dissolved, Mr. Tesson continuing the business
alone.

They were the parents of some half dozen chil-
dren, most of whom died in infancy, raising one son
and one daughter.

Their son, Edward P., born in May, 1812, was
married to Miss Lucy Marotte, of Philadelphia,
'Nov. 26, 1833; he died in 1883.



EDWARD S. POLKOWSKI. 259

The daughter, Covalie, is the wife of Mr. Ed-
ward PolkowsM.

Pierre Tessoii, a brother of Michael, died Feb.
18, 1818; his widow married Capt. Josiah Bright
in 1820, and Bright died July 31, 1822.

Francis Tesson, anotlier brother, was a partner in
business for a number of years ; he died unmarried
in 1839.

Children of Ed. P. and Lucy Tesson :

Clara, married first to Ant. Dangen, one son;
and secondly to Jeremiah "VYilcox of Montana.

Cecile, widow of H. Renouard, with 1 son and 3
daughters.

Noemie, married to George Hall, has several
children.

Dr. Louis Tesson, married.

Edward Tesson, married to Miss Forsythe.

Theodore Tesson, unmarried.

George Tesson, married.

A son died a young man.



ED. STANISLAS POLKOWSKI,

born in the City of Konskie, district of Sandomir,
Poland, Sept. 8, 1812. He was engaged in the
revolt against the Russian Government in 1830.
Arrived in the United iStates of America, April
15, 1834, and at St. Louis in June, 1835.

He was married to Coralie Tesson, Dec. 6, 1842,
and they are yet residing in St. Louis.



260 BIOGRAPHICAL.

CAPT. THBODOEE HUNT,

cousin of Wilson P., was born near Trenton, l^ew
Jersey, in 1788, and in 1803, at the age of fifteen
years, was appointed a midshipman in the U. S.
IS^avy, and assigned to the frigate Philadelphia,
Capt. Bainb ridge, of Commodore Preble's Squadron
in the Mediterranean, which ran on the rocks in the
harbor of Tripoli, and was burnt Feb. 16, 1804, by
sailors in boats from the Squadron under command
of Lieut. Stephen Decatur, Jun'r. He came to St.
Louis about 1813-14, and was married June 23rd,
1814, to Anne Lucas, only daughter of Judge John
B. C. Lucas.

In 1816, he purchased from Wm. C. Carr & Co.,
a tan yard with the necessary buildings, at the
southeast corner of Second and our present Almond
Streets, which he operated for some years.

In May, 1824, he was appointed by President
Monroe, U. S. Recorder of Land Titles, succeeding
Frederick Bates, just elected our second State Gov-
ernor, which office he held until his death Jan'y 21,
1832, at the age of 44 years, leaving a widow and
three children, two daughters and a son.

Theodosia Tucker Hunt, married Henry Livings-
ton Patterson, Sept. 4, 1839.

Julia Tucker Hunt, married to Henry C. Turner,
Feb'y 1, 1841.

Charles Lucas Hunt, married to Miss Mary
Owings, April 6, 1842.

The widow of Capt. Theodore Hunt married
"Wilson P. Hunt, cousin of Jier first husband.



WILT BROTHERS. 261

CHRISTIAN WILT, MERCHANT,

son of Abraham and Rachel Wilt, was born in
Philadelphia, Jan'y 18, 1789, and cameto St. Louis in
June, 1811, and commenced business July 25, 1811,
in Mrs. Labbadie's old store, opposite Mr. Gratiot's.

1813. He built the third brick house in St. Louis,
at the southeast corner of Main and Locust, and
moved his business into it, which he occupied until
his death. He was an active business man, and
soon acquired prominence in the business circles of
St. Louis, operated a large mill and distillery on the
Caholda creek opposite St. Louis, was a director in
the Bank of St. Louis, &c., &c.

He was married at St. Louis, Jan'y 10, 1815, to
Miss Ann K., daughter of Major Geo. Wilson,*
born at Louisville, Kentucky, Jan'y 20, 1798; she
died Dec. 12, 1816, in her 19th year, and her hus-
band Wilt, Sept. 27, 1819, in his 31st year. They
left an only son, Greorge, in his 3rd year, who died
in 1823, aged 7 years.

ANDREW WILT, MERCHANT,

brother of Christian above, was born in Philadel-
phia, Oct. 27, 1791, came to St. Louis in 1818, and
joined his brother in business Feb. 10, 1819, under
the firm style of " Christian and Andrew Wilt."



* MAJOR GEORGE WILSON,

was born in Auchentock, Ayrshire, Scotland, in the year 1750, and died in
St. Louis, Jan'y 26, 1824, aged 74 years, father of Mrs. Christian Wilt, a
gentleman highly esteemed, and one of the first interred in the Hemp-
stead lot of Bellefontaine Cemetery, where his head stone still stands.



262 BIOGUAPHICAX.

He died in St. Louis, August 10, 1819, iu his 28th
year, unmarried, but 48 days before his brother.
Their firm continuing but six months.

He brought out with him two sisters, the Misses
Rachel and JuHana Wilt. The first became the wife
of Charles S. Hempstead, Esq., in 1819, and died in
Oct., 1823. The other died unmarried, Sept. 27,
1824.



JULIUS DEMUN,

son of Jacques Demun and Marie Madelaine Le
Meillieur, was born at Port au Prince, in the Island
of St. Domingo, April 25, 1782.

When young he and his brother Augustus were
sent to France to be educated, and then joined their
parents in England. In 1793, after the insurrection
of the negroes, he went to England, where they re-
mained until 1808, when the father died and they
came to the United States, and remained in ISTew
Jersey for a time ; in 1810, they removed to Ste.
Genevieve.

March 31, 1812, Mr. Demun was married to Isa-
belle, daughter of Mr. Charles Gratiot.

In 1816, Mr. Demun with Aug't P. Chouteau and
others went on a trading expedition to Sante Fe and
Chihuahua. While in that country they were robbed
of their goods, and the whole party imprisoned.

They were confined in prison for two years, when
through the demand of the U. S., they were released
and returned to the U. S. in 1818-19.

In the summer of 1819, Mr. Demun had charge of



COL. ELI B. CLEMSON. 263

Mr. John Mullanphy's store in St. Louis, and in the
following year, 1820, with his wife and three little
girls, went to Cuba, where he cultivated a coffee
plantation for some ten years, and then returned to
the United States in January, 1831.

After his return to the U. S., he was appointed
Secretary and Translator for the Board of U. S.
Land Commissioners, and in 1842 elected Recorder
of Deeds for St. Louis County.

In 1817, Mrs. Demun, the mother, removed to
Baltimore, and from there to Cuba, where she died.

Julius Demun died Aug't 15, 1813, at the age of
61 years.

His brother, Augustus Demun, was killed in Ste.
Genevieve in 1816, by one McArthur in a personal
conflict.

They had five daughters :

Isabella, wife of Edward Walsh.

Julia, wife of Leon Chenie.

Louisa, wife of Rob't A. Barnes.

Emilie, wife of Chas. Bland Smith.

Clara, died unmarried.

Mrs. Demun, the widow, died July 13, 1878, at
the age of 82 years.



COL. ELI B. CLEMSOK,

entered the U. S. Army from Pennsylvania, and
was appointed

March 3, 1799, Second Lieut, in the first U. S.
Infantry,

April, 1800, First Lieut, in the same.



264 BIOGRAPHICAL.

March, 1807, Captain in the same.

Jan'y 20, 1813, Major in the same.

March 9, 1814, Lieut. Col. of the 16th Eegiment.

June 15, 1815, close of the war; he was dis-
banded.

August 27, 1816, appointed Ass't Commissary
at St. Louis.

December 1, 1819, resigned from the Army.

Before the war of 1812 he was much about St.
Louis and Bellefontaine where his Eegiment was
stationed.

In Sept., 1814, while Lieutenant-Colonel of the
16th Regulars, he had command for a short time of
the Philadelphia Volunteers, then concentrating at
Camp Bloomfield, Kennett Square, Chester County,
Penn'a.

After the war he was stationed for some years at
St. Louis, where he bought and sold several town
lots, realizing a handsome profit therefrom.

Jan'y 17, 1816, from C. M. Price, a lot of 20 feet
front in Block 36.

l^ov. 1, 1816, from Col. Ehas Rector, lot of 60
feet in Block now No. 2.

Aug. 5, 1817, from Judge Lucas, a block of
ground, in Lucas' new addition to the Town, on
which he built a large frame dwelling, where he
lived for some time.*

After he left the Army in 1819, he disposed of
his property in St. Louis, and returned to the East.



* This is the Block on which at present stands Wm. Barr& Co.'s Dry
Goods house, 6th from Olive to Locust.



WM. VON PHUL, SE. 265

He was married when a Captain, April 9, 1811, at
New Brunswick, N^ew Jersey, to Miss Ann Maria
Oliver.



WM. VON PHUL,

a brewer, native of West Hofen, Pfalz, Westpha-
lia, on the left bank of the Rhine, was born in 1740,
and came to Philadelphia in 1765.

In 1775 he married Catharine Graff, of Lancaster,
Pennsylvania.

He died in Philadelphia in 1798, aged 58 years,
leaving his widow, 5 sons and 3 daughters.

HKNRY VON PHUL,

one of his sons, was born in Philadelphia, Aug't 14,
1784.

In the year 1800, his mother, a widow, removed
to Lexington, Ky., with some of her children;
Henry, then 16 years of age, became the clerk of
Thomas Hunt, Jr., in whose service he remained for
ten years. In 1811 he came to St. Louis and com-
menced business on hi« own account, in which he
was actively engaged until within a few years of his
death, a period of nearly 60 years.

Mr. Von Phul was married to Miss Rosalie,
daughter of Doct. Antoine Saugrain, on June 10,
1816. On June 10, 1866, they celebrated their
golden wedding, 6 sons and 4 daughters participat-
ing.

June 10, 1874, celebrated their 58th wedding day.



266 BIOGRAPHICAL.

Mr. Yon Phul died Sept. 8, 1874, aged 90 years
and 25 days.

Mrs. Yon Phul died Feb. 28, 1887, in her 90th
year.

They were the parents of 15 children, of whom
ten attained maturity and married, and leave a nu-
merous progeny of descendants.

Their surviving children are five sons and three
daughters.

Henry, lives in Louisiana, married Miss Mary
Daigre.

Frederick, lives in St. Louis, married Miss I^idelet,
deceased.

Frank, lives in Louisiana, unmarried.

Benjamin, lives in St. Louis, married Miss Lape,
of Mississippi.

Phillip, lives in St. Louis, marriedlst Miss Chatard,
dec'd, 2nd Miss Throckmorton.

Maria, wife of Thomas M. Taylor, St. Louis.

Eliza, widow of Judge "W. M. Cooke, deceased,
St. Louis.

Juha, wife of A. T. Bird.



JAMES KBNNEELT,

was born at Fincastle, Botetourt County, Yirginia,
Aug. 5, 1792, son of Samuel Kennerly and Mary
Hancock.

He came to St. Louis in October, 1813, in part-
nership with John O' Fallon in a cargo of Kentucky
produce,

" Pickled Pork, Beef, Flour, &c."



JAMES KBNNEELY. 267

Which having disposed of, he became Chief 4~
Clerk of Gov'r Clark, in the U. S. Indian Office.

He was next associated with Alexander MclSTair
in a store for some time. In 1816 James Kennedy
opened a store in Clark's new brick house on Main
Street in Block now No. 10.

In 1817-18, James and Geo. H. Kennerly went
into partnership in mercantile business in the same
place.

In 1820 James Kennerly, having built a new
brick building and residence, next north of their
former stand, removed into it, where they carried
on their business for some years, Mr. Kennerly
residing with his family in the upper part of the
house.

Towards the close of the year 1827, when the
works at the new Military post of Jefferson Bar-
racks were approaching completion, they were ap-
pointed the Sutlers for the Post, and removed
there, where James Kennerly resided for over ten
years, at the end of which time, having biiilt a
stone residence at Cote Brilliante, about five miles
northwest of the City, he removed to it and died
there August 26, 1840, at the age of 48 years and
3 weeks.

James Kennerly was married June 10, 1817, to
Mies Eliza Maria, the second daughter of Doct.
Antoine Saugrain, born in Lexington, Ky., Oct.
12, 1799.

Their three children are :

Mary Larned K., born in 1820, widow of Wm.
C. Taylor.



268 BIOGRAPHICAL.

Wm. Clark Keunerly, born in 1825, married
Florence Brooks, of Mobile, Alabama.

Harriet Clark K., born Aug. 2, 1829, married to
Ed. J. Glasgow, Oct. 29, 1856.

CAPT. GEORGE HAl^COCK KENISTEKLT,

was born at Fincastle, Botetourt County, Vir'a,
Jan'y 28, 1790, and came to St. Louis about the
commencement of the war of 1812, and was ap-
pointed a Lieut, in the Regular Army. He accom-
panied Gov'r Clark in his expedition to Prairie du ^
Chien, and at the close of the war was mustered out
of the service.

He then went into partnership with his brother
James in St. Louis until their removal to Jefferson
Barracks in 1827, where a Po8t-oJ0B.ce having been
established, he was appointed Jan'y 31, 1828, its
Postmaster, and put on aline of two horse stages
for the public accommodation.

Capt. Kennerly lived on the Barracks tract of
land for about forty years with occasional intervals,
his wife having purchased about 189 acres of the
tract, the Captain had improved a portion of it with
a farm.

Capt. Geo. Kennerly was married on Dec. 27,
1825, to Miss Alzire, a daughter of Col. Peter
Menard, of Kaskaskia, Ills.

He died in Jan'y 25, 1867, at the age of 77 years,
leaving his widow and a number of sons and daugh-
ters.

Mary, married to Jno. Si Bowen.



CAPT. RISDON H. PRICE. 269

Abigail, married to Wm. Haines.
Eliza, married to Matthew Stephenson.
Louis H., Samuel, Peter M., Henry.



was born in Maryland, a grand nephew of Charles
Thomson, Secretary of the Congress of the Revolu-
tion. His grandfather Douglass, a gentleman from
Scotland, having married a sister of Thomson.

He came to St. Louis during the war of 1812-15,
a paymaster in the United States service, until the
reduction of the Army following the peace of 1815,
when he was mustered out.

After this he was appointed a Justice of the Peace
and J^ptary Public for St. Louis.

He was married Sept. 23, 1817, to Miss Cornelia,
third daughter of Gen'l Daniel Bissell, U. S. Army.
They had several daughters.

He died in 1844.



CAPT. KISr>ON H. PEICE,

came to St. Louis from the eastern shore of Mary-
land, about the year 1807, and in 1808 was a partner
in business with Benjamin Wilkinson, a son of Gen'l
Joseph "Wilkinson, of Maryland, the firm being Wil-
kinson & Price.

"Wilkinson died in February, 1810, at sea on his
passage around from New Orleans to Baltimore,



270 BIOGRAPHICAL.

after which Price operated alone with more or less
success until about 1822, when reverses and hard
times combined drove him out of business, and he
removed with his wife to Ste. Genevieve County,
where he was still living in 1843.

During his residence here he was prominent in
business- circles, a director in the old bank of St.
Louis, &c.

He married Aug't 30, 1815, Miss Mary, the second
daughter of Gren'l Daniel Bissell, U. S. Army.
Their only son, Frederick Price, was still living not
long since, in the upper part of this county, on the
old Bissell estate.



GEORGE TOMPKINS,

was born in Caroline County, Virginia, in March,
1780. He came out to Jefferson County, Ken-
tucky, about the year 1804, and located at the
''Falls," April 29, 1806. He taught school in
Kentucky six or seven years.

He came to St. Louis about in the year 1811 or 12,
and taught school for some years in the old Alvarez
mansion on the north side of Market Street, below
Third, opposite the old Catholic Cemetery, and was
studying law during all the time.

In 1816, he gave up teaching school, settled in
the Town of Old Franklin, Howard County, and
commenced the practice of law. He was twice
elected to the Legislature then sitting at St..
Charles. In 1824, at the death of the Hon. John



GEORGE SHANNON. 271

Bice Jones, of the State Supreme Court, Judge
Tompkins was elected to fill the vacancy, which


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 13 of 24)