Copyright
Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 14 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 14 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


position he filled for twenty-one years, until 1845,
when he reached the constitutional age of sixty-five
years, and was retired to private life.

He died near Jefferson City, April 7, 1846, having
just completed his 66 years.



GEOKUE SHANNON,



was born in Pennsylvania in 1787. "When seventeen
years of age, in 1804, he enhsted in Capt's. Lewis
and Clark's expedition to the Rocky Mountains and
Pacific Ocean. He received a wound in the leg
from the Indians, and on his return had his leg am-
putated at St. Charles, and a wooden one substi-
tuted in its place, from which he was ever afterwards
called Peg Leg Shannon.

Lewis and Clark took him to Philadelphia to
superintend the publication of their Journal. He
there studied law, and was admitted to the bar, and
commenced practice in Lexington, Ky., and was
then a Circuit Judge for three years. In 1828, he
located at Hannibal, Mo., and afterwards at St.
Charles, was a State Senator a short time, and
United States Attorney for Missouri.

He died suddenly at Palmyra, in Court, at the age
of 49, in 1836.



272 BIOGRAPHICAL.

MOSES SCOTT, MERCHANT,

came to St. Louis in the winter of 1810-11, and
opened his store in the north part of the old Jno. B.
Becquet house, on Main, between Myrtle and Elm
Streets.

In 1816, May, he bought from Chouteau a lot in
his new addition to the Town , at the north-east cor-
ner of Fifth and Elm (where Tony Faust is at
present), upon which he built a two-story frame
building for his residence, which he occupied until
his death.

In May, 1817, he removed his store to McKnight
& Brady's new building, on Main Street, south-east
corner of Pine Street, the south one, 'No 42.

In December, 1817, he removed across the street
to Clark's new stone row, the south one of the
three, where he remained in business until 1821,
when being a Justice of the Peace for St. Louis,
he opened an office in his dwelling on Elm Street,
where he died Aug't 20, 1823.



THOMAS m'GITIRE, MERCHATSTT,

commenced business here on Dec'r 20, 1817, in the
store just vacated by Moses Scott above, in Bra-
dy's, l^o. 43i.

1818, February 26th, he bought from Chouteau a
lot in his new addition on the hill, on the north side
of Market Street from 8th to 9th, on which he



COL. JOHN O'FALLON. 273

built a small brick dwelling house where he lived
until he died, a Justice of the Peace and Merchant,
Dec'r 23, 1828.



was born at Mulberry Grrove, near Louisville, Ken-
tucky, the residence of his uncle, Jonathan Clark,
on Nov'r 17, 1791. His father, Doct. James
O'Fallon, born at Athlone, Ireland, of a very
ancient family, had served under "Washington as a
surgeon in the Continental Army ; his mother was
Francis Clark, the youngest sister of Gen'ls Geo.
Rogers and William Clark, born at Mulberry Hill
near Louisville, the residence of her father, John
Clark, Sen'r. They were married in 1790. Doct.
O'Fallon died in Louisville in 1793, leaving two
sons, John, two years of age, and Benjamin, an
infant.

Mrs. O'Fallon's second husband was Cha's M.
Thruston, of Louisville, by whom she had two
sons and two daughters; and her third. Judge
Dennis Fitzhugh, of Virginia, by whom she had
one daughter. She survived the three for several
years.

When of a proper age John was sent to school at
an Academy at Danville, Kentucky. In 1810 he
Avent to Louisville to complete his education, and
his brother Benjamin came to St. Louis to stay
with his guardian, his uncle Gren'l William Clark,
and went to school in St. Louis.

18



274 BIOGRAPHICAL.

In the fall of 1811 Jno. O'Fallon, then 20 years
of age, marched with the mounted Kentucky Yol-
unteers, under Col. Jos.' Davieg, to the- Indian
Towns on the Wabash River, and was severely
wounded at the battle of Tippecanoe, where Col.
Davies was killed. After the battle he went to St.
Louis, remaining with his uncle until well.

In Sept., 1812, he was appointed an Ensign in
the first U. S. Infantry.

In January, 1813, he was promoted to 2nd
Lieutenant. , In May, Aid-de-camp and acting Ad-
jutant-General at the siege of Fort Meigs.

In August, 1813, to 1st Lieut. 24:th U. S. In-
fantry. March, 1814, Captain in the 2d U. S.
Eifle Regiment. And resigned July 31, 1818, at
Mackinaw.

After he left the army he settled in St. Louis
and commenced business as a contractor for army
supplies, &c., &c.

He was twice married, first, in 1821, to Miss
Harriet Stokes, an English ladj'-, who died Feb.
14, 1826, and secondly, on March 15, 1827, to
Miss Caroline Sheets, from Baltimore.

During his long residence in our community Col.
O'Fallon was one of our most prominent and pub-
lic spirited men, filling many positions of trust, and
exercising great influence with the people.

He died Dec. 17, 1865, at the age of 74 years,
leaving four sons and an only daughter, Caroline,
who was the wife of the late Doct. Chas. Pope.



COL. A. B. CHAMBERS. 275



NATHANIEL PASCHALL



was born at Knoxville, Tenn'e on April 4, 1802.
His father afterwards removed with his family to
Ste. Grenevieve, Mo., where young Paschall received
his schooling. Early in 1814, when he was not yet
quite twelve years old, his father apprenticed him to
Mr. Joseph Charless, of the Missouri Q-azette, to
learn the trade of a printer. After his apprentice-
ship had expired in 1823, he continued to work on
the paper with Edward Charless, its new proprietor,
who in March, 1828, admitted him as a partner in
the proprietorship.

In 1837, Charless and Paschall sold their estab-
lishment to Messrs. Chambers, Harris and .George
•Knapp.

In 1840, Paschall and Charles Ramsay established
a new paper, which they called the New-JEra. In
1842, Mr. Paschall was elected Clerk of the Court
of Common Pleas of St. Louis County, the only
office for which he ever ran. Jan'y 1, 1844, he was
associate Editor of the Missouri Republican, Col.
A. B. Chambers being the chief, and in 1854, at the
death of Chambers, Paschall became Chief Editor.

Mr. Paschall was married at Springfield, Ills., on'
l^"ovem'r 27, 1832, to Mrs. Eliza Edgar (nee Ste-
vens), widow of Gen'l John Edgar, of Kaskaskia,
Ills.

• Mr. N". Paschall died Dec'r 12, 1866, in his 65th
year.

Mrs. Paschall had died in 1859.



276 BIOGRAPHICAL.

They left two sons, Henry Gr. and George M.,
and 4 daughters.

Bagenia L. married first to Walter B. Carr, Dec.
16, 1854, and secondly to Gerard B. Allen, July
13, 1871.

Ada married to Wm. C. Tyler, of Louisville,
March 10, 1853.

Mary A. married to Thomas Cummins, June
25, 1863.

EHzabeth mariied to Jos. P. Carr, Nov. 23,
1871.



DK. DAVID V. WALKEK

came to St. Lonis in August, 1812, and entered at
once into partnership with Doct. B. G. Farrar, in
the practice of medicine.

Doct. Walker married Miss Matilda N., third
daughter of Major Wm. Christy, thus becoming the
brother-in-law of his business partner.

Doct. Walker died April 9, 1824, leaving his
widow with two young children.

Leonidas, born Aug't 16, 1817, who died Aug't
4,* 1866, aged 49 years, and a daughter who after-
wards became the wife of Samuel B. Churchill,
Postmaster.

Mrs. Walker was married June 24, 1832, to Col.
Nathaniel P. Taylor, from Jefferson County, Ky.,
who brought with him four grown children by a
former wife.

She died Feb'y 5, 1872, aged 74 years.



JUDGE M. MCGIRK. 277



DOOT. PRYOR QUARLES



caine from Richmond County, Virginia, in Sept.,
1815, the 5th American physician, and commenced
his practice of medicine.

Sept. 4, 1817, he was married to Miss Joanna A.,
second daughter of Col. Rufus Easton, and
died early in October, 1822, after a brief married
life of five years, leaving two young children.

His widow became the second wife of Henry S.
Geyer, April 26, 1831.



JUDGE MATTHIAS m'GIRK

was born in Tennessee about the year 1790. He
studied his law there, and came to St. Louis when
but a young man, in about the year 1814.

In 1816, when Chouteau & Lucas made their first
addition to the Town of St. Louis, McGirk pur-
chased from Chouteau the second lot he sold, being
jN'o. 5, the southwest quarter of Block ISio. 1, 144
feet front on Fourth by 135 feet deep on "Walnut,
which had been the northeast quarter of the old
Spanish Garrison on the hill, and on which stood
the old stone building occupied as the Officers Quar-
ters. In this house he resided for some years. lii
1817 he put up a small one-story brick for his office
on his Fourth Street front, which was afterwards oc-
cupied by David Barton and Judge Jas. H. Peck.



278 BIOGKAPHICAL.

At the organization of the State Government in
1820, Judge McGirk was elevated to the Supreme
bench, associated with Judges Jno. Rice Jones and
John D. Cook, their commissions were issued in
1820, This office he held until 1841.

About 1827 or 1828 he removed to Montgomery
County on the Missouri, shortly afterwards he mar-
ried a Miss Talbot. They had no children ; his wife
survived him many years.



JUDGE ALEXANDER GRAY.

Amongst the large number of young men, from
all parts of the country, who joined the Army during
the war with England of 1812-15, was Alexander
Gray, from Kentucky, who, when the armywas in-
creased, was appointed a Captain in the 24th Regu-
lar Infantry, and served during the war.

At its close in 1815, he came first to Cape Girar-
deau, and from there to St. Louis, yet a young man,
and opened a law office, which profession he had
studied. He was well educated, skilled in the
classics, a fine writer, and ranked amongst the
first as a criminal lawyer.

Early in 1820, Judge N. B. Tucker, of the St.
Louis Circuit Court, about to be absent for some
time, resigned the Judgeship of the northern circuit,
and Alexander Gray was appointed by Acting Gov-
ernor, Frederick Bates, to fill the vacancy. He held
two terms of his court in St. Louis, the April and
August terms of 1820. The State Government



HON. EDWARD BATES. 279

having then come into existence the courts were re-
organized in the fall, and Judge Gray was appointed
by Gov'r MclSTair to the new Northern Circnit north
of the Missouri River.

He died unmarried August 2, 1823. Being a fine
looking man, he was somewhat vain of his personal
appearance, and although yet but a young man, his
hair was almost white.

His friend, Spencer Pettis, administered upon his
estate Aug. 18, 1823.



HOK. EDWAKD BATES,

was born in Belmont, Goochland County, Virginia,
Sept. 4, 1793, of Quaker parentage, the seventh son
of a family of twelve children.

He came to Missouri in 1814, at the age of 21
years, his elder brother Frederick Bates being then
Secretary of the Territory, and studied in the oflGlee
of Eufus Easton, Esq'r. He was admitted to the
bar in 1816, and soon became one of the most
prominent members of the same.

He was a member of the convention of 1820, that
framed the constitution of the State, and was ap-
pointed the same year by Gov. Mcll^air to the Of-
fice of Attorney-General for the State. In 1822 he
was a member of the first Legislature that sat in St.
Chailes, and in 1824 was appointed by Pres't Monroe
United States Attorney for the district of Missouri.

He was the second Representative in Congress
from the State of Missouri, being elected to the



280 BIOGRAPHICAL.

20th Congress in 1826, to succeed John Scott,
Afterwards declining a re-election to enable him to
resume his practice of law as far more lucrative.
In 1830 he served as a State Senator, and in 1834
as a Representative in the State Legislature.

In 1850 President Fillmore appointed him Secre-
tary of War, one of his Cabinet ; he was confirmed
by the U. S. Senate, but he declined to accept the
position. In 1853, he was elected Judge of the St.
Louis Land Court. In 1856, Presiding Officer of
the Whig l^ational Convention in the City of Bal-
timore, and finally in 1861, President Lincoln se-
lected him for Attorney- Greneral of the United
States, which office he filled for two years, resign-
ing it in 1863 to retire to private life.

Mr. Bates was, perhaps, the most prominent mem-
ber of the St. Louis bar, long associated with his
brother-in-law, Grov'r Ham. E. Gamble, and enjoy-
ing a lucrative practice.

Mr. Bates was married May 29, 1823, at Dar-
denne Prairie, St.. Charles County, to Miss Julia
D., daughter of David Coulter, Esq'r, formerly of
Charleston, S. C. He was thefatherof a numerous
family of children, leaving some ten or twelve at his
death, March 25th, 1869, at the age of 76 years.



OAPT. HENRY S. GEYEK,



was born in Frederick County, Maryland, of Ger-
man parents, Dec. 9, 1790 ; his father came from
Prussia.



HENKY S. GEYER. 281

He read law with his uncle Daniel Shaeffer, in Ha-
gerstown, and commenced practice in 1811. In
1812 was a volunteer in the war, and appointed a
Paymaster in the U. S. Army, while stationed at
Norfolk, Virginia.

At the close of the war he came to St. Louis in
1815, still a Paymaster, which office he resigned at
the end of the year, and commenced the practice of
law.

He soon assumed a prominent position at the bar,
and filled several important civil offices. In 1817,
compiled his digest of the Territorial Laws.

In 1818, was a member of the Territorial Legis-
lature.

In 1821, elected Speaker of the House of Repre-
sentatives at their first session.

In 1822, re-elected Speaker of the House.

In 1824-25, H. S. Geyer and Eufus Pettibone
made the first revision of the State Laws.

In 1851 he was elected to the U. S. Senate to
succeed Thos. H. Benton, and served in the ofiice
one term of six years.

Capt. Geyer was three times married in St. Louis.

1st, Jan'y 1, 1818, to Miss Clarissa B. Starr, a
young lady from the State of JSTew York ; this lady
died Oct. 27, 1829, leaving. two young daughters
who grew to womanhood and became married ladies.

2d, April 26, 1831, to Mrs. Joanna Quarles, sec-
ond daughter of Enfus Easton, and widow of
Doct. Pryor Quarles, by whom he raised two sons
to manhood.



282 BIOGRAPHICAL.

3d, Feb. 12, 1850, to the widow of Edward
Charless, (Miss Jaue Stoddard, of St. Charles,)
who survived him and died at a very advanced age,
after marrying her third husband, Doct. Herman
L. Hoffman.

Capt. Henry S. Geyer died March 5, 1859, aged
69 years.



HON. NATHAKIEL BEVERLY TUCKEK,

was born at Mattox, Chesterfield County, Virginia,
Sept. 6, 1784, third son of J. St. George Tucker,
from the Island of Bermuda, who settled in Virginia
previous to the Revolutionary war, and had married
in the year 1778, the widow of John Randolph, Sr.,
mother of the celebrated John Randolph,* of Roan-
oke, who was thus the half brother of IST. B. Tucker.

Judge Tucker came to St. Louis in 1815, at the
age of 31 years, to practice his profession of the law,
a.nd was appointed by Frederick Bates, the Sec'y
and then acting Governor of the Territory, Judge of
the l^orthern Circuit, and he held the first term of
his court at St. Louis on Monday, Feb'y 9, 1818.
This position he held for about five years, except
durmg a brief absence, and was succeeded on the
bench by Judge Alexander Stuart in June, 1823.

Judge Tucker was married at St. Charles in
October, 1828, to Miss Eliza, daughter of Mr. John



* John Randolph, ol Roanoke, was born at Cawsons, Chesterfield
County, Virginia, in 1773, and died In Philadelphia in 1833, aged 60 years.



GAIUS PADDOCK. 283

Nailor. This lady died on March 14, 1829, at Ful-
ton, Callaway County, after a brief married life of
but five months.

About the year 1831-32, he lived for a time in
Saline County.

After a residence in Missouri of about eighteen
years, he returned to Virginia, in 1833-34, to accept
the chair of Law-Professor in William and Mary
College, at Williamsburg, James City County,
which had been proffered him. This position he
filled about eighteen years, until his death at that
place, Aug't 26, 1851, at the age of 67 years.



GAIUS PADDOCK, SR.,

came to St. Louis from Woodstock, Vermont, with
his large family of children, nearly all of them
daughters, about 1815, and opened a boarding house
on South Main Street, in the large old French house,
the former residence of Charles Gratiot, Sr., in the
early days of the village.

About the year 1820, they moved up to the north-
west corner of Chestnut and Main, into the large
stone house, late the Gratiot mansion, where they
lived for some five or six years. They were a highly
respectable family and their boarders of the best
class.

Gains Paddock, Sen'r, died at St. Louis, August
11, 1831.

Aiter his death the widow and daughters moved
to Illinois, on a farm they had been improving,



284 BIOGRAPHICAL.

seven miles north of Edwardsville, on the main road
to Springfield; it was long known as Paddock's
grove.



the second son, was born in Woodstock, Kov'r 15,
1805, and was about 10 years of age when the family
came to St. Louis ; he was raised in the dry-goods
business by James Clemens, Merchant, in whose em-
ployment he continued for nearly 20 years.

In 1834 he went into business with Philemon
Hunt at No. 3 South Main Street, as "Hunt &
Paddock, dry goods."

About 1838 he removed to Springfield, Ills.,
where he remained for a time, and then to Alton,
Ills., where he became permanently established.

Mr. Paddock was married June 25, 1834, to
Miss Mary Elizabeth Bailey, at St. Louis, and
died at Alton, Jlls., Dec'r 26, 1869, at the age
of 64 years.



* CHARLES W. HUNTEK, MEKCHAKT,

from Philadelphia, " has just opened, Dec'r 23,
" 1815, a new store on South Main Street, opposite
" Matthew Kerr's Store.

"1817, July 12. He has removed across the
Street to next south of Matthew Kerr's.



* Charles W. Hanter had served in the campaign of 1813-14 as Brigade
Major of Gen'l Cadwallader's Brigade of Philadelphia Volunteers at
Camp Bloomfleld, Kennett's Square, and Camp Dupont, Brandywine,
near Wilmington, Delaware.



DOCT. ED. S. GANTT. 285

August 20. Removed to Belcour's new stone
store diagonally opposite the old stand.

1819, May 18. Chas. W. Hunter has removed
across to Matthew Kerr's old stand on the east side
of Main Street.

1820-21. He removed to Alton, Ills., just then
taking a start.



JAMES AKNOLD, SR., MERCHANT,

came from Dublin, Ireland, with his two sons, "Will-
iam and James, Jr.

March 5, 1819, he opened his stock of Wines and
Liquors in Bosseron's cellar, not being able to find
a vacant store. In the summer of that year he re-
moved to Clark's Store, ISTo. 55 IsTorth Main Street.

In 1821 Jas. Arnold & Co. were in ISTo. 71 North
Main, Paul's Store.

In 1822-23 they were in Jas. Kennerly's Store,
'No. 57 North Main.

Wm. Arnold, the oldest son, died here Sept. 3,
1823, aged 32 years, born 1791, highly esteemed
by all who knew him for his kindly qualities.

Mr. Arnold, Sr., after the death of his son, re-
turned to his family living in DubUn ; he was a
well raised gentleman.



DOCT. EDWARD S. GANTT, U. S. A.,

came to St. Louis during the war of 1812-15, at
tached to the Army, and after its conclusion



286 BIOGRAPHICAL.

remained here for some years in the practice of his
profession. He had three handsome daughters that
were noted belles of our place at that period.



MK. JONATHAN GUEST, MERCHAJ^fT,

from Philadelphia, married Miss Mary, Feb. 8,
1819.



DOOT. ARTHUR NELSON, PHYSICIAN

of St. Louis, married Miss Eleonora, May 25, 1819.

Major Stoughton Gantt, Paymaster U. S. Army,
a cousin of the Doctor, died here April 25, 1819.

Capt. John Gantt, another of the family, was a
Capt. in the GthPegiment U. S. Infantry, stationed
for some years at Port Atkinson, Council Bluffs.



PATRICK WALSH, ESQ.,

was born in the town of Sligo, Ireland, in the year
1783, and received a business education. He emi-
grated to the United States, arriving at 'New York
in 1803, and was married in that place in 1810. In
1817 he moved out west, remained in Cincinnati a
couple of years, and arrived in St. Louis in Janu-
ary, 1820.

He commenced business as an Auctioneer and
Commission merchant the same year at No. 29
ISTorth Main Street, in which he continued for some



JOHN E. THOLOZAN. 287

years, and then relinquished, having been commis-
sioned by the Governor a Justice of the Peace for
the Township of St. Louis.

Mr. Walsh had a family of ten children, viz. :
Joseph W., Mary Ann, Peter A., James B., John
C, William P., Agnes C, Edmond E., Julia IST.
and Edward P., of whom two survive.

Mr. Walsh died in February, 1851, at the age of
68 years.

CAPT. JOSIAH BRIGHT,

from Boston, came to St. Louis about the year
1813, and became associated in business with his
brother-in-law, Charles Sanguinet, Jr. The firm of
" Sanguinet & Bright" was a prominent one here
for some years, until its dissolution in 1821.

Capt. Bright was twice married, first, in 1814 to
Miss Eulalie, the fifth daughter of Charles Sangui-
net, Sr. She died Feb. 14, 1817, leaving a son and
daughter.

May 30, 1819, Capt. Bright was married to Mrs.
Eliza, the widow of the late Pierre Tesson, dec'd.

Capt. Bright died July 31, 1822.



JOHN ELI THOLOZAN,



born in Toulouse, France, came to St. Louis about
the year 1816, bringing with him a stock of French
goods, and kept a store for about a couple of years,
until he had disposed of his goods, when he closed
his business, and moved on to a place he had pur-



288 BIOGRAPHICAL.

«

chased in the country a few miles south-west of the
Town, where he lived until his death.

On January' 5, 1819, he was married to Adelaide,
the sixth daughter of Charles Sanguinet, Sr., and
died in May, 1848, at the age of 61 years.

His widow survived him twenty-nine years, and
died April 2, 1877, aged seventy-nine years. They
had no children.



THE THREE BROTHERS LINDELL,

Peter, John and Jesse G., were born near Snowhill,
Worcester County, Maryland, where their ances-
tors for two generations had lived.

Peter was born March 26, 1776, and when a
young man was engaged in business, making occa-
sional visits to Philadelphia with droves of cattle to
dispose of for himself and others.

About 1813 he came to St. Louis, associated witli
Thos. and John Cromwell, with a stock of fresh
goods from Philadelphia, and opened a store.

1815, March 1. Having disposed of their stock
of Merchandise, the partnership of Peter Lindell and
Thos. and John Cromwell was dissolved.

" 1816, June 8. Peter, John and Jesse G. Lindell,
have just opened a large stock of l^ew Goods in
the brick house of M. Lisa, corner of Main and the
first Cross Street north of the Market," (now Chest-
nut St.)

Having acquired a handsome property while en-
gaged in business, he retired from the same, after
aome years of active life, and died a confirmed old



JOHN BOBB, SR. 289

bachelor Oct. 26, 1861, at the age of 85 years, pos-
sessed of an ample fortune, the fruits of his economy
and frugality.

John Lindell, Jr., the next brother, born about
1780, died unmarried in the summer of 1821, at
Herculaneum, Jefferson Cy., where they had a
branch store of their principal house in St. Louis.
His interest in the business passed to the surviving
brothers, Peter and Jesse G., deed from his father
and sisters, on record book L., pages 5 and 7.

Jesse Gr. Lindell, the youngest of these, was born
Dec. 16, 1790, and came to St. Louis in 1816. He
married Dec'r 14, 1825, Jemima Smith, nee Lee,
widow of Oliver C. Smith. He had not long before
retired from business, having like his brother Peter,
acquired a competency, which in the 33 years fol-
lowing his marriage, had grown into a very large
fortune. It was a part of his fortune, and not his
brother Peter's, that went into the Lindell hotel.

Jesse G. Lindell died Feb. 2, 1858, at the age of
68 years, without children.

A fourth brother, Robert, settled in Pittsburgh at
an early day and was in business there for many
years, at his death in very moderate circumstances.

Several of his children came to St. Louis and
lived with their uncles.



JOHN BOBB, SR.,

was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in the
year 1766.

His father, who was a brick maker, moved his



19



290 BIOGEAPHICAL.

family to Philadelphia, where John and an elder
brother Peter were long successfully engaged in the
manufacture of bricks.

In the year 1800, he with a wife and several chil-
dren, removed his family to Lexington, Ky., where
he built a brick house, opened a brick yard, and
built a mill for the manufacture of linseed oil.

In December, 1816, he came to St. Louis, and in
January, 1817, purchased from Col. Augte. Chou-
teau-, block Ko. 132 of his new addition on the hill,
bounded by Market and Walnut, 6th and 7th Streets,


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 14 of 24)