Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 15 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 15 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

then high ground eight or ten feet above the present
grade, built a log house for his family at the south-
west corner of the block (on the spot where now
stands the Standard Theatre), and made bricks there
until the ground was cut down to present grade, and
then purchased the block next west, from 7th to
8th, for the same purpose.

In 1819 Mr. Bobb was elected one of the Town

In 1823 he was appointed by Mayor "Wm. Carr
Lane, Street Commissioner, and subsequently was
Coroner of St. Louis County.

In 1838 he commenced the publication of a liberal
paper called the Western Examiner, advocating
the same views as the Boston Investigator.

Mr. Bobb was married in the year 1787, at Phila-
delphia, to Miss Anna Maria Sprinkle ; they were
the parents of seven sons and four daughters, all
but one of whom attained maturity.

He died May 17, 1851, at the age of 85 years.


Mrs. Bobb had died at her daughter's home in
Marion County in August, 1845, aged 75 years, and
was interred at that place.

John, died in Yicksburgh in 1863.

William, died in Natchez in 1826.

Jacob, died in ISTatchez in 1826.

George, died in St. Louis in 1834.

Peter, died in St. Louis in 1839.

Theodore, died in St. Louis in 1844.

Charles, born in 1810, is the last surviving son.

Mrs. Masters, born in 1798, is now 90 years of age,

Julia A., born in 1803, (Mrs. Isaac A. Letcher,)
died in St. Louis, Nov. 27, 1885, aged 82 years.

Caroline, born in 1812, (Mrs. Alexander Lyle,)
is now 76 years of age.

Dolly, died an infant in Kentucky.


son of Peter and Catherine Collier, born near Snow-
hill, Worcester County, eastern shore of Maryland,
about the year 1792 ; came to Missouri with his
mother, a widow, in 1816, with a stock of goods
from Philadelphia, and opened a retail store in St,
Charles, at that time a rival of St. Louis, with more
brick houses, and an even chance of keeping pace
with her.

In 1819-20, three years later, prospects in St.
Charles not appearing so bright, they established a
branch of their house in St. Louis, under the style
of John Collier &; Co.


John Collier died unmarried May 18, 1821, at
St. Charles, aged 29 years.

Catherine Collier, widow of Peter Collier, died in
St. Charles June 5, 1835, aged 73 years.


the second son of the same, was born on the same
farm with John, March 17, 1796, and after the
death of his father sent to Philadelphia to school.

In 1818, having completed his education, he came
to Missouri and became a partner of his brother,
under the style of John Collier & Co.

On January 1, 1826, Greorge Collier was married
at St. Charles to Miss Frances E., daughter of
James Morrison, Bsq'r, merchant of that place.

She died Aug't 30, 1835, leaving a young daugh-
ter and an infant son, George Collier, Jr., born
in 1835, who grew to manhood, and married a
daughter of General Stephen Kearny; he died in
1863, aged 28 years.

In 1838, George Collier was married at Pitts-
burgh, Penn'a, to Miss Sarah A., eldest daughter
of the late William Bell, Merchant, of that city.
He died July 18, 1852, at the age of 56 years, leav-
ing five sons and two daughters, one the wife of
Henry Hitchcock, Esq'r, and the other the wife of
Ethan A. Hitchcock, Esq'r.

Thomas Collier, a son by his second wife, Sarah,
died at the age of 20 years.

Mr. George Collier becoming the heir of his
mother and elder brother, shortly after he embarked


in business, was already the possessor of ample
means, in 1840 when he withdrew from active busi-
ness on account of his ill health, he had accumu-
lated a very large fortune, acquired in the various
enterprises he had been engaged in, and which con-
tinued to increase for the rest of his days, dying,
in its strictest sense, a millionaire.


was born in Hillsborough township, Orange county,
^orth Carolina, March 14, 1782. His mother, a
widow, removed to Tennessee. He taught school
and studied law, and in 1808, after being admitted
to the bar, opened an office in Franklin, Williamson
County, Tennessee. Shortly afterwards he re-
moved to I^ashville and opened an office in that

In 1811 he was elected to the Legislature of Ten-
nessee, and in 1812 joined the army, and was an aid-
de-camp of Greneral Jackson until the summer of
1813, when a misunderstanding arose between them,
which resulted in the rencontre of Friday, Sept. 4,
1813. Subsequently he was appointed Lieut.
Colonel of the 39th Regiment United States In-
fantry, then being raised for the war, but it was
never completed. Peace occurring not long after-
wards, the new regiments were disbanded.

After the peace of 1815, Col. Benton removed to
Missouri and opened a law office in St. Louis in
1816, and in 1819 became associated with Isaac JST.


Henry, in the publication of the 8t. Louis Enquirer,
as its editor.

When the new State government went into effect
in the fall of 1820, he and David Barton, who had
been President of the State Convention, were elected
by the Legislature, for our two first Senators in
Congress, Barton unanimously and Benton by a
mere majority.

At the expiration of his first term as Senator for
six years, Benton had made himself so popular with
our people, mainly by having espoused the cause of
Andrew Jackson, to whom he had become recon-
ciled, that he was re-elected to the Senate for four
additional terms, serving as a Senator for thirty con-
secutive years, longer than any other member of
that body before or since.

After thirty years of continual service in the
Senate, Col. Benton, who had now reached his
" three score and ten " being still anxious to serve
his constituents, was elected in 1852 to a seat in the
lower house from the St. Louis district. After serv-
ing out this term, his friends retired him from public
life to make way for a new generation.

During all this long period of time, Col. Benton's
actual residence was in Washington City, where
Mrs. Benton owned her dwelling.

Col. Benton was married on Tuesday, March 20,
1821, at Lexington, Virginia, to Miss McDowell, a
sister of Gov. McDowell, of Virginia, and died April
lO, 1858, in Washington City, aged 76 years, and is
interred at Bellefontaine Cemetery. He left four
married daughters.


Elizabeth, married to ~Wm. Carey Jones, of
"Washington City.

Jessie, to Col. John C. Fremont, of South

Sarah, to Rich'd Jacobs, of Kentucky.

Susan, to Mr. Boisleau, of France.

His only son died a young man, unmarried.

Mrs. Benton died March 24, 1855.

eev'd salmon gidditstgs

was born in Hartford, Connecticut, March 2nd, 1782,
and was ordained on December 20, 1814.

In 1815 was an itinerant minister in Massachusetts
and Connecticut.

April 6, 1816, he arrived at St. Louis.

Oct. 12, 1816, opened a school in the two-story
frame on the hill, built by James Sawyer for the

IS'ov'r 15, 1817, organized the first Presbyterian
congregation in St. Louis.

Jan'y 3, 1818, opened a school for girls.

Aug't 30, 1823, laid the corner stone of his new
Presbyterian Church, the first " 'brick'''' Protestant
Church west of the Mississippi River, by the Grand
Lodge of Ancient Free Masons of Missouri, at the
northwest corner of 4th and St. Charles Streets.

Rev'd S. Giddings married Dec'r 4, 1826, Miss
Almira Colhns, at Collinsville, Ilhnois.

He died Feb. 15, 1828, in his 46th year.



was appointed from Pittsburgh, Penn'a.

Jan'y 3, 1812, an Ensign in the 5th Regiment,
U. S. Infantry.

March 12, 1812, a Second Lieut, in same.

April 28, 1814, a First Lieut, in same.

May 17, 1815, transferred to the Rifle Regi-

July 12, 1818, promoted to Captain.

Sept. 25, 1818, was appointed Deputy Quarter-
master General for St. Louis.

June 1, 1821, was transferred as Captain to 6th
Reg't Infantry.

He died unmarried at St. Louis, Aug't 27, 1822,
and was buried with military honors by the St. Louis

The Territorial Bank of St. Louis having become
insolvent, the old banking house was sold at public
sale by Joseph C. Brown, Sheriff, under execution,
on Dec'r 20, 1819, and Capt. James McGunnegle, a
creditor, became the purchaser and held it at the
period of his death.


was born in the Kingdom of Hanover, Germany, in
the year 1790.

He was in business in Pittsburgh, Penn'a, prior
to the war of 1812-15, and served in that war as a
member of the Pittsburgh -Blues.


In October, 1817, he came to St. Louis with a
stock of German goods, which he opened in Per-
kins and Drip's store on South Main Street.

In Sept., 1818, on the completion of Chenie's new
brick store on Main, above Market Street, he re-
moved to it.

April 10, 1820, the old firm of Charles Wahren-
dorff & Co. was dissolved, and in May the new firm
of Edward Tracy & Chas. Wahrendorff was estab-
lished in the old stand. They conducted its busi-
ness in this same house, until the death of Mr. Wah-
rendorff in August, 1831, brought it to a close.

Charles Wahrendorff was married Sept. 8, 1823,
to Mrs. Ann, widow of the late Mr. Amos Wheeler,
dec'd, and oldest daughter of Mr. Joseph Charless,
Sr. He died Aug't 27, 1831, the result of a fall, at
the age of 41 years, leaving but one child, a daugh-
ter, who when of age became the wife of Taylor


was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, May
26, 1784.

In 1801, at 17 years of age, he entered Williams
College, Massachusetts, where he remained four
years and graduated in 1805. Studied law in Onon-
dago County, IS^ew York, for a couple of years, and
finished his studies with Abraham Yan Yechten, a
leading Lawyer of Albany, New York, in 1809, and
was admitted to the bar.


In 1810 he commenced practice in Vernon,
Oneida County, New York,

In 1812, elected to the Legislature, and in the
same year was married to Louise Esther De Russey,
daughter of a French refugee from St. Domingo,
of 1793.

In May, 1818, he arrived at St. Louis, with his
wife and three children, and immediately formed a
•copartnership with Rufas Easton, whom he had pre-
viously known.

In 1821, he was appointed Judge of the Second
Circuit, and removed his family to St. Charles. He
held his first term at Louisiana, Pike County, in
February, 1821. In April, 1823, he was appointed
to fill a vacancy on the Supreme bench of the State.
And died in office at St. Charles July 31, 1825,
aged 41 years.

his brother, born in Litchfield in 1780, who came
here with him, survived him many years, in Lou-
isiana, Pike County, and died in St. Louis in 1883,
having attained 103 years of age.

A daughter of Rufus Pettibone became the wife
of Judge Hunt, of Louisiana.


was born in the eastern part of Tennessee, upon the
confines of jSTorth Carolina, and came to St. Louis,
-and established himself as a Lawyer in 1818.


At the establishment of the District Court of the
United States for Missouri in 1821, amongst others
James H. Peck made application for the appoint-
ment of Judge, and being supported by Col. Rich-
ard M. Johnson, of Kent'y, and Senator David
Barton, of Missouri, received the appointment, and
occupied the bench for a number of years. Gen'l
Henry Dodge, afterwards United States Senator
from Wisconsin, was the first U. S. Marshal for the
district. The Court was held in an old French
house, south-west corner of Walnut and Second

Judge Peck died, unmarried, Saturday, April '60,
1836, in this county, opposite St. Charles, after an
illness of many weeks, contracted while on his I'e-
turn from holding a term of the District Court at
Jefferson City.

He was buried the next day, Sunday, May 1st.
He left a will, a brother, Isham T. Peck, adminis-
tered on his estate May 17, 1836.


from 'New York with a stock of merchandise, ar-
rived in St. Louis in 1818, and opened his goods in
Dent & Eearick's stoi-e, Sept. 4th.

In May, 1820, he entered into partnership with
Charles Wahrendorff, then established in Chenie's
new brick building No. 4 IS'orth Main St., the style
■of the firm " Tracy & Wahrendorff." They were
partners exceeding eleven years, until the death of


Mr. Wahrendorff in 1831, when Mr. Tracy associ-
ated with liim his nephew, Alfred Tracy, as com-
mission merchants.

In 1851, he was appointed by Mayor Kennett
City Anditor of St. Louis, and in 1852 re-appointed
to the same office.

In the winter of 1820-21 Mr. Tracy was married
at the residence of Frederick Dent, Esq'r, in Grra-
vois, to Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Capt. John
Nelson, of Louisville, Ky.

Mr. Tracy died in IS'ovember, 1852, at the age of
71 years.

Mrs. Tracy had died in 1849 at the age of 48

Their children were :

Charles F., married Sophia Morton.

Edward 'N., to Zoe Papin, both deceased.

Henry W., died unmarried.

John N., died unmarried in 1854.

Augustus B., deceased, married to Celeste

William, to Miss Sloan.

Alfred, died young,

One daughter married lives in New York.


b.orn May 19, 1802, nephew of Edward Tracy,
came to St. Louis a young man, and for a time
was a clerk with his uncle, and afterwards a
partner. He married at St. Charles, May 22,
1828, Miss Sarah Stoddard, sister of Mrs. Ed-


ward Charless, who died without children July 1,
1833, and secondly Miss Ellen, the eldest daughter
of George Morton, Esq.

Mr. Alfred Tracy died Jan'y 4, 1860, aged 57
years 8 months.


was born in Maryland in the year 1786, and lived
for some years in Pittsburgh, where he married.

He came to St. Louis early in 1818, associated
with George Rearick as merchants, and they com-
menced business on July 1st of that year, in a new
frame house, one of three just erected by the estate
of Wm. Smith, on the west side of Main just below
Chestnut Street. Houses being difficult to obtain,
he procured a couple of rooms in the residence of
his old Pittsburgh friend, MclSTair, where he passed
the winter of 1818-19 with his family, and where
his second son, Geo. "W., was born.

In 1819 he obtained the old Delaunay stone
house, south-west corner of Main and Olive

In June, 1820, he purchased from Theodorfe
Hunt, 200 arpents of land, part of the old Mackey
tract, with a good house and well improved, and his
partnership with Rearick being dissolved, he re^
moved into the country with his young family,
where the balance of his children were born, and
where he resided for more than 25 years.


Mr. Dent was married to Miss Ellen Brey, at
Pittsburgh about the year 1816. She died in Feb-
ruary, 1857, at the age of 60 years.

Their children were :

John Dent, born in Pittsburgh in 1817, twice

George Wrenshall D., at St. Louis, 1818-19,
married Oct. 14, 1841, to Mary Isabella Shurlds.

Lewis, born at Gravois, 1823 ; died March 23,
1874, aged 51 years.

Fi-ederick, Jr.*

Julia D., married to U. S. Grant, U. S. Army,
Sept. 10, 1848.

ISTellie, to Dr. Alexander Sharp, Feb'y 7, 1854.

Emma, to James Casey, Feb. 14, 1861.

Frederick Dent, Sr., died at the President's
house, in Washington, on Dec. 15, 1873, at the age
of 87 years. His remains were brought to St.
Louis, accompanied by his son-in-law, Pres't Grant,
and interred in Bellefontaine Cemetery.


came to St. Louis early in 1816, and on May 1st,
in partnership with Thomas Hanly, commenced
business in Clark's row on Main Street, opposite
McKnight & Brady.

On September the 30th, he was elected the first
Cashier of the new bank of Missouri.

* A graduate of West Point, Second Lieut. 6th Infantry, July 1, 1843,
Lieut. Col. 5th Artillery, Dec. 15, 1S70.


July 21, 1817, he married Miss Julia Ann, the
eldest daughter of Judge Silas Bent, Sr.

Shortly after his marriage he resigned his position
as Cashier, and removed to the Boons-lick country,
Old Franklin, Howard County, just organized, and
to which there was a great rush at this time.

Here he lived many years, became a prominent
politician, filling various important offices, and in
1836 was elected the fifth Governor of oui- State.

His wife died in Sept., 1820, a young woman of
but nineteen.


A Dublin paper of ISTovember 7, 1846, has the
following of him :

Born in 1781. At an early age he entered the
British I^avy, serving under Sir Sidney Smith.

In 1802 he returned to Dublin and commenced his

In 1805 he was called to the bar, and practiced for
a time.

In 1810 he passed over to France and entered the
French service under his uncle Gen'l William Law-
less. Appointed the military secretary of Gen'l
Clark, Due of Feltre, and promoted to Colonel.

On the return of Napoleon from Elba, he read
the address of congratulation from his Regiment to
the Emperor,

After the final defeat of Napoleon in 1815, he
came to the United States and adopted his former-
profession of law, coming to St. Louis in 1816-17.


After the resignation of Judge Wm. C Carr from
the bench of the Circuit Court, Luke E. Lawless was
appointed to succeed him by Governor DunMin, and
took his seat at the March term, 1834.

Col. Lawless was married to the Baroness De
Grenhm, the widow of the Baron De Greuhm, the
Prussian Minister, at Washington, at Georgetown,
District of Columbia, in May, 1825, by whom he
had an only child, a daughter who lived to
become a young woman, and then died, I think
at 17 or 18 years.

He died in St. Louis, Sept. 12, 1846, aged 65


was born at Christine, near Wilmington, Delaware,
in the year 1787.

When a young man, was employed at the Brandy-
wine Flour Mills.

His health being somewhat delicate, he made a
voyage to Cadiz, Spain, where he was employed
for some years in the office of the United States

Li March, 1815, was at Bordeaux, France, on his
return to the U. S.

In 1817 he came to St. Louis, one of the firm of
"Porter, Glasgow & Nivin," who opened their
stock of goods on May 10th in Papin's old stone
store, next to Kibby's hotel.

In 1818 he went to Belleville, Illinois, where he
was in business for five years. In 1823 he removed


to Herculaneum, Jefferson County, Mo., where
he was engaged in business and lead mining.

In 1827 he removed to St. Lonis, where he was
engaged in business until 1841, a part of the time
of the firm, of Ross & Glasgow.

In 1846 he was appointed by Mayor Peter G.
Camden, City Treasurer of St. Louis, which office
he held for seven successive years, under Mayors
Camden, Mullanphy, Krum, Barry and Kennett.

Subsequently Mr. Glasgow resided in the country
near the residence of his son-in-law, Jefferson K.
Clark, where he died.

Mr. Glasgow was married at Belleville, Illinois,
IS'ov'r 19, 1818, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Edward
Mitchell, and died near St. Louis, April 8, 1876, in
his 89th year. Mrs. Glasgow, born in Virginia
June 16, 1801, died in St. Louis County March 31,
1883, in her 82nd year.

Their children are :

Edward James, born June 7, 1820, married Har-
riet Clark Kennerly, Oct. 26, 1856.

Wilham Henry, born Feb. 19, 1822, married first
Mary Wright, Oct. 22, 1850, married secondly Miss
Charlotte ^. Fales in 1860.

Eleanor Ann, born May 1, 1824, married Geo. R.
H. Clark, March 30, 1841.

Mary Susan, born ISTov. 19, 1828, married Jeffer-
son K. Clark, Aug't 8, 1849.

Two other sons, Charles and John P., died in



Wm. Glasgow, Sen'r's, grandchildren:

Julien K. and Wm. Jefferson, sons of Edward J.

Ed. J., Jr., Jefferson Clark, Anita D. and Mary
Susan, children of Wm. H. Glasgow.

flohn O'Fallon Clark; Julia, wife of Robert
Voorhies ; Ellen, wife of Wm. Lauderdale, and
Seddie, deceased, children of George R. PI. Clark,


son of Jeremiah Clemens, was born in Danville,
Kentucky, Oct. 29, 1791 ; at an early age was a
clerk in the store of Mr. Bell in that town. In
October, 1811, he went to Sparta, Tennessee, where
he was engaged in business with his uncle, James
Clemens, of Huntsville, Alabama. In April, 1815,
he came to Ste. Genevieve, and in April, 181(5, came
to St. Louis.

July 26 he opened his goods on Main Street, oppo-
site the Post-office, in Sept. he removed to Wm.
Smith's house (No. 7 ISTorth Main Street), and in
1819, on the completion of Manual Lisa's two new
brick stores, ISfos. 17 an'd 19 l^orth Main, he re-
moved into No. 17, between Mullanphy and You
Phul, where he was for a number of years.

In 1836 he was at No. 4 ISTorth Main, in Chenie's
three-story brick.

In 1846 he retired from business with an ample

In 1852 his residence and office was at I^o. 98
Market, above 3rd.


In 1854 his office ISTo. 32 IS'orth 3rd, his residence
in the country.

Mr. James Clemens was married on January 10,
1833, to Miss Eliza, seventh and youngest daughter
of John MuUanphy, Esq'r. She died at her country
residence, six miles from the city, Aug't 20, 1853,
and Mr. Clemens, who survived his wife twenty-four
years, at his residence on Cass Avenue, January 12,
1878, in his 87th year.

Their children were three sons and three daugh-

James B. Clemens, married, died shortly after
his father.

Bryan M. and William J.

Mrs. C. J. Cates.

Mrs. Ellen J. Clemens.

Mrs. Alice B. Von Versen, residing in Europe.


was born in Dublin, Ireland, in the year 1784.

"His father, John Chambers, was one of the
' oldest stationers and publishers of that City, a
'member of the order of 'United Irishmen,' who
' made themselves odious to the British govern-
' ment, and with sixteen others, were arrested in
' 1798, and confined as prisoners of State, in Fort
' George, Scotland, then banished from the coun-
' try and sent to Germany, but soon finding their
' way to Paris, and thence to Bordeaux. And in a
' short time afterwards, Thomas Addis Eminett,


" John Chambers, Doct. McNevin, Doct. Cum-
" mings, and others were landed at New York.

"Here John Chambers opened a pubUshmg
" house m Wall Street."

Charles Chambers rejomed his father in New
York in 1803, and was with him in business until
1817, in which year he was married by Bishop Con-
elly to Miss Jane, the third daughter of John Mul-
lanphy, Esq.

In the winter of 1818-19 Mr. Chambers and his
young family went around by sea to New Orleans,
and on February 1st, 1819, left there on the steamer
Washington, Capt. Henry M. Shreve, the first boat
from New Orleans to St. Louis, where they landed
on March 1st, 1819.

Mr. Chambers began at once the improvement of
the tract of land given to his wife by her father, by
the erection of a house, and which in time, by his
untiring industry he cQnverted into a splendid farm,
on which he resided for many years, and where all
his children were born.

In the year 1846 he removed to the city where he
continued to reside until his death late in 1861, aged
about 77 years.

Their children were six daughters and four sons :

Margaret F., who married Commodore Wm.
Smith, U. S. Navy, dec'd.

Ellen, married Capt. Joseph H. Lamotte, U.
S. A.

Eliza B., married Thomas B. Hudson, dec'd.

Jane J., married B. Franklin Thomas, dec'd.


Anne B., married Greo. W. Thatcher.
Mary, married first, Mr. Waters ; secondly,
James Larkin, both dec'd.

John H. Chambers, now deceased.
Bart. M., married a daughter of Ed. Walsh.
Thomas B., a Catholic clergyman.
Owen, who died unmarried in 1854.


continued in business in Baltimore until 1816, when
he followed his brother Rene to St. Louis.

On March 30, 1817, he was married to Miss Marie
Louise, the second daughter of Col. Augustus Chou-
teau. She died Oct. 24, 1832, at the age of 33
years, leaving one son and two daughters.

The oldest daughter, Estelle Felicite, born July
21, 1821, was married May 23, 1843, to Richard W.
Ulrici. She died in 1883, and Ulrici Aug't 23, 1886,
leaving no children.

The second daughter, Theresa L., born March 18,
1829, married George R. Taylor, August 9, 1846.
She died in 1873, and Mr. Taylor in 1880, leaving
three sons and five daughters, some of whom are

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 15 of 24)