Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 16 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 16 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Their only son, Adolph Paul, born January 9th,
1824, was twice married, first on January 24, 1855,
to Miss Mary, daughter of Mrs. Eugenie and the
late John W. Reel, dec'd. This lady lived but a
few years after "her marriage, dying and leaving
but a son named as his father, Adolph. After


remaining a widower for a number of years, Mr.
Paul mari-ied a second wife, Miss Virginia Menkens,
wlio survives him with one daugliter.

He died in March, 1882, at the age of 58 years.

Capt. Grabriel Paul had executed his will on Sept.
23, 1815, and died shortly afterwards, aged about
68 years.


was a native of Kentucky and served in the Rifle

On November 24, 1825, he was married to Maria
Antoinette Emily, the third daughter of Col. Augus-
tus Chouteau, who was born on April 14, 1802, and
died June 5, 1842, at the age of 40 years, and her
husband, Major Smith, in December, 1843, eighteen
months after his wife.

Their surviving children are :

Louis Chouteau Smith, born in 1827, married in

Thomas Floyd Smith, born Sept. 30, 1831, mar-

Philomena, born Nov'r 24, 1836, married to
Major Charles F. Larned, Paymas. U. S. Army,
now deceased.


the fourth son of Col. Augustus Chouteau, born
March 30, 1807, died unmarried May 15, 1846, aged
39 years.


born in Baltimore in the year 1792, came to St.
Louis in 1818, of the firm of Renshaw & Hoff-
man, mei'chants here for some years.

He was married Feb'y 3, 1820, at Chesterfield,
St. Louis County, to Miss Phebe Ann Eliza,
daughter of Mr. Joseph Klein, from CaatsMll, New
York. He was for many years the efficient Book-
keeper of the Fur house of Peter Chouteau, Jr., &
Co., and long engaged in the Lisurance business.

He died at Fulton, Callaway Co., Mo., March
14, 1864, aged 72 years, leaving a number of chil-

One of his sons is Wm. lienshaw, of Baltimore,
father of Morrison Eenshaw of this place.


was born Oct. 17, 1796, in Westchester County,
l^ew York, and received a superior education. He
left New York a Physician in the fall of 1819,
opened a drug store in St. Louis, and practiced his

On March 34, 1822, he was married to Miss Char-
lotte Klein, second daughter of Mr. Joseph Klein,
from Caatskill, New York.

He was engaged in the Apothecary and drug busi-
ness for a number of years, and in 1852 we find him
in the Insurance agency business. Subsequently he
had a large vineyard at Cleveland, Ohio, and still


later a mill and distillery at Peoria, Illinois, associ-
ated with Chas. P. Billon.

After a number of years absence from St. Louis,
Doct. Hoffman returned to the place about the year
1874, and shortly afterwards was married to the
widow of Henry S. Geyer, her third husband.

He died November 5, 1878, at the age of 82
years, and was interred from Christ Church, of
which he had been a member from its first organi-
zation .

His widow, who survived him about seven years,
died in October, 1885, at the age of 81 years, with-
out children from either marriage.


was born at Baignes, Department of Charente,
ancient Angoumois, France, March 25, 1800, came
to St. liouis about the year 1819, and was first em-
ployed as a clerk at Berthold & Chouteau's store,
with whom he remained for a number of years, and
then went into business himself, associated for a
time in the Dry-goods line, in 1835-6 with A. E.
Bonis, a nephew of his wife.

He married Oct. 30, 1820, Miss Julia O., daugh-
ter of Antoine Yincent Bonis, Sr., then deceased,
who like himself had come to this place from
France. They had a large family of children, to
the number of ten, most of whom died young.

Their oldest daughter, Julia, married Eobert
Darst, Sept. 6, 1837.


Another daughter, Octavia, married Emaimel
Alexander Lesueur, May 28, 1840.

And a third, Virginia, married to Charles Marlow,
April 21, 1852.

An only living son, Bernard Dumaine, is yet a
resident of St. Louis.

Mr. Lucien Dumaine died at Farmington, St.
Francois County, April 13, 1875, at the age of
75 years.


Amongst the large number that the abdication of
N^apoleon in 1815 drove from France, was this
family, consisting of Rene Perdreauville, Si'., his
wife, two sons Rene and Leon, and two daughters,
young ladies grown, well educated in Paris and

They came to the United States and in the
summer of 1818 found their way to St. Louis. Mr.
P. had filled some official station in the household of
the Emperor.

In September, 1818, Mrs. Perdreauville, assisted
by her daughters, opened an Academy for young
ladies, gave lessons in music, and dancing was
taught by Mr. Durocher, a professor of that art,
who was engaged for that duty.

On I^overaber 18, 1819, the oldest daughter. Miss.
Marie Antoinette Adele Perdreauville, was married
to John Pierre Gratiot, a son of Charles Gratiot^
Sr., deceased.


In 1820 Mr. P., with his wife, sons and other
daughter, removed to iNTew Orleans, where the
second daughter married.


was born in Windsor, Vermont, April 24, 1795. In
1815, when 20 years of age, he made his way to
Olean, Cattaraugas Oy., IS". J., then down the
Allegheny and Ohio i-ivers to St. Louis, stopping at
various places, which he reached early in 1818, and
was Deputy Constable with Jabez Warner for
several years.

In 1823 paid a visit to his home in Vermont, and
there married Miss Sophia Hall.

He was an early Steamboat Captain in the New
Orleans trade.

For many years a Director and then President of
the Boatman's Bank.

Capt. Blood died ISrov'r 27, 1875, in his 81st year,
leaving his widow, one son Henry, a married daugh-
ter Mrs. Sloss, and one single, Miss Anne Louise.


was born in Philadelphia in. the year 1800.

When quite young, his mother, a widow, removed
to ISTorfolk, Virginia, where he learnt the print-
ing biTsiness, and came to St. Louis in August,


He was a journeyman printer for several years
with Isaac K. Henry on the Enquirer newspaper,
of which Benton was then Editor.

In 1829 he joined Major Joshua Pilcher's trading
and trapping expedition to the Rocky Mountains,
-was in Gen'l Ashley's fight wdth the Arickarees in
1823, and participated in other encounters with the

After an absence of five years Mr. Keemle
returned to St. Louis and resumed his business of
printing, in which he was engaged for the remainder
of his life, at times alone, and at times with others
in conducting several papers.

In 1854 Mr. Keemle was elected Recorder of St.
Louis County, succeeding Stephen D. Barlow.
This office Mr. K. held for seven years, until 1861,
at same time extensively engaged in his printing
with Samuel Hager.

In 1833 Mr. Keemle was married to Miss Mary
Oliver of this city. He died Sept. 29, 1865, at the
age of 65 years, leaving a widow, son and daugh-
ter, now residing somewhere on the Pacific slope.


was born in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, Dec'r
31, 1794, the second son of William and Elizabeth

In 1812, at the age of 18 years, he served as a
volunteer, and soon afterwards was appointed deputy
■clerk of Lunenburg County, Virginia.


In May, 1818, he arrived in St. Louis, having-
ridden from Virginia on horseback, and in June was
selected by Col. Alexander Mcl^air, Registei- of the
United States Land Office, for his principal assistant
having charge of the office.

In June, 1820, he was chosen Secretary of the
Convention that adopted the State Constitution, and
in the same year the newly elected Governor of the
State, Alex'r Mc]N"air, appointed him his private

The seat of government being established at St.
Charles in 1821, Mr. Pettus removed to that place,
being appointed Clerk of the Supreme and Chancery
Courts, and in 1822 by Gov'r McNair, Secretary of

In 1824 he acted as Secretary of the State Senate,
and in 1825 was appointed by Gov'r Frederick
Bates, Judge of the Probate Court, serving two
years, 1825 and 1826.

In 1827, being tired of public office, he went into
business in St. Charles, in which he was engaged foi
a number of years, during which he served as State
Senator in 1832 and '33.

In 1834 he removed to St. Louis and was engaged
in Mercantile and Banking business until 1842,
when he was appointed Secretary of the Floating
Dock Insurance Comp., and in 1855 Secretary
of the United States Insurance Company until
1862, when ill-health compelled him to resigUj
being then 68 years of age.

Mr. Pettus died Dec'r 25, 1867, aged 73 years.


Wm. G. Pettus was married on Dec'r 31, 1826,
at St. Charles, to Miss Caroline R., daughter of
Major James Morrison of that place. Their chil-
dren were :

Emily J., deceased.

Martha A., Mrs. Charles Parsons.

Caroline Eliza, deceased.

Euphrasie A., Mrs. Robert B. Mackay.

Wm. H. H. Pettus married to Miss Mary
A. Saugrain, and

Joseph M. Pettus.


was born in Winchester, Frederick Co., Virginia,
in 1791-92.

He came to St. Louis early in 181G, bred to the

In 1817 was a Clerk for about a year in the first
Bank of St. Louis, then for a short time an assistant
to M. P. Leduc, Clerk of the Circuit Court, David
Barton being Circuit Judge.

In 1818 he was appointed by Gov'r Wm. Clark,
Clerk of the Circuit Court for St. Louis, which
office he held for eighteen years, until 1836, when
the office having been made elective by the Legisla-
ture, General John F. Ruland, who came from
Detroit, was elected to succeed him.

In the eighteen years he had held the office, Mr.
Gamble had acquired a competency of this world's

In 1822 he was married to Miss Louisa, the third


daughter of Col. Rufus Easton, by whom he had a
number of children.

He was for a long period the agent of the public
schools, but for the last 20 years he lived in 'retire-
ment, having abundant means.

He died Sept., 1866, aged 75 years, leaving
three married daughters, Mrs. Charles Gibson,
Mrs. Doct. Page and Mrs. Clarkson, and several


the youngest of seven, born l^ov'r 29, 1798, at the
same place, was educated at Hampden-Sidney Col-
lege. At 18 years of age, in 1816, he was admitted
to practice. Before he was 21, in 1818, he had been
licensed in three States : Virginia, Tennessee and

He was for a short time a deputy clerk under his
brother Archibald, and then removed to old Frank-
lin, Howard' County, where he commenced practice.

In 1824 appointed by Gov'r F. Bates, Sec. of
State, at Bates' death in 1825, he settled in St.

In 1846 he was sent to the Legislature to revise
the Laws. In 1851 elected a Judge of the Supreme
Court, his health led him to resign in 1855. In
1858 he removed to Philadelphia to educate his
children .

In July, 1861, was chosen provisional Governor.

Gov'r Gamble was married in 1827 at Columbia,
South Carolina, to Miss Caroline J. Coulter, sister
of Mrs. Edward Bates.

He died Jan'y Bl, 1864, at 66 years of age.




was born of a good family at ISTewtown Limavaddy,
County Londonderry, Ireland, on March 17, 1790,,
hence his baptismal name, Patrick.

When a young man of seventeen, he participated
in the rebellion of 1807 against the government, in
which he held the rank of a commissioned officer, he
escaped from the island in a fishing boat, and found
safety on board a trading vessel, following the sea
for two years.

In 1809 he came to the United States, and settled
first at Philadelphia, where he was engaged in the
lumber business in the employment of Mr. Richard
Price, a Quaker gentleman, for many years exten-
sively engaged in that business.

In 1813-14 Mr. Dillon removed to Pittsburgh, and
went into the lumber business on his own account,
in which he was engaged for several years, and then
removed to St. Louis with a newly purchased stock
of Dry-goods, Groceries, Wines and Liquors, which
he opened Jan'y 18, 1817, at the house of Major P.
Chouteau, Sr., IS'orth Main Street.

1817, April 5, P. M. Dillon removed to the old
stand of Theodore Hunt, in Papin's ' old stone

1818, May 15, P. M. Dillon has just received his
new stock of Merchandise at his new stand, lately
occupied by Joseph Wiggan, opposite the Bank of
St. Louis.

Mr. Dillon continued in active business as a


Merchant until the admission of Missouri as a State,
and the incorporation of the City in 1822-23, when
he reHnquished mercantile business and turned his
attention to real estate. He laid ou.t several addi-
tions to St. Louis on lands he had purchased with
that view ; his last being Dillon's fourth addition in
1840 on a large tract he had purchased from Fred-
erick Dent in Jan'y, 1836, part of the old Mackay
tract adjoining the old Town.

Mr. Dillon was twice married :

First, in October, 1818, in St. Charles County, to
Miss Anne T., sister of Doct. Nash of that county.
She died in 1834, leaving two married daughters,
Mrs. Doct. Charles Stevens, Sr., and the first wife
of Capt. James B. Eads, deceased.

He married his second wife, Miss Eliza Jane Eads,
of Kentucky, Jan'y 26, 1836, and died at his resi-
dence on Dillon Street Jan'y 21, 1851, in his sixty-
first year, leaving by his second wife, who still sur-
vives him, one daughter and two sons.

Eliza, wife of Count de la Vaulx, residing in
Paris, France.

Arthur, who died a young man, unmarried, and
John A., who married a daughter of l^eree Yalle,
with a large family of children.


born in Waterford, on the Suir, in Munster, Ireland,
came to the United States in Sept., 1806, with his
wife and son Dick, then about four months old, and


soon afterwards moved out to Lexington, Ky., where
he remained about ten years.

In the spring of 1817 he came to St. Louis, where
he hved about a year and died here May 11, 1818.

His widow survived him thirty-two years and died
Dec'r 3, 1850.

Their sons were Richard, boi'n May 8, 1806, now
in his eighty-third year. And Joseph, who died in
1857. A third son died young.


came to St. Louis early in 1816, being a partner of
Lilburn W. Boggs.

June 7th, commenced business here in McKnight
& Brady's new brick building, southwest corner
Main and Pine (the south one afterwards No. 42).

1817, purchased from P. L. Cerre for |7,000 the
square of ground (afterwards Block 15) between
Main and the river, and Green and Oak Streets, and
built on the 1^. E. corner of it a large brick building
for business.

1818, Feb. 13, sold his interest in " Boggs &
Hanljr " to his partner, L. W. Boggs, to enable him
to build. Dissolved partnership.

Dec. 1, removed to his new brick building, where
he was at the date of his death.

Thomas Hanly died Oct. 26, 1822, leaving his
widow Mary C. and six children, Sarah, John,
Washington, Lucy, Mary and Cornelia.




were three in number. Stephen E., the first, came
here in 1816, about December, with a stock of
Merchandise from New York, and opened in Jan'y,
1817, next to Matthew Kerr's store, on Main below
Myrtle, in the summer moved two blocks further up
into one of Chouteau's new frames below Walnut.
About 1819-20 he changed his business and be-
came an Exchange Broker.

He was unmarried, and left our place about the
year 1823.

Samuel Wiggins came here next, about 1819-20,
and established here the Horse-team Ferry Boat
across the Mississippi, from the foot of Oak Street,
which he brought around from Cincinnati where he
had built it, and which commenced running in May,
1820. If a married man at that day, his family must
have lived in Cincinnati, as they never lived in St.

These two Wiggins kept house together for a
time in Thos. Brady's old stone dwelling, then
numbered 164, next below the Missouri hotel.

William C. Wiggins, a third brother, came out
afterwards to take charge of the Ferry and Boat,
after it had got into successful operation, and was
chief manager for many years. And when disposed
of by Sam'l Wiggins, in 1828, to a joint stock com-
pany, he became a stockholder in the company for


an eighth, which at the period of his death he had
increased to three-eighths.

Mr. W. Wiggins came here a married man from
the State of ISTew York with his wife and her sister,
Miss Berrian, who was afterwards married to Mr.
Arthur Ingram, of the firm of Ingram & Eeilly of
this place.

During the 25 years that Mr. Wiggins was in
charge of the Ferry Boat, his whole time was
devoted to the interests of the association, accumu-
lating a handsome fortmie. He died in Dec, 1853,
leaving by will his whole estate in equal parts to his
four sons, Sam'l B., Edward C, Charles and Will-
iam, his wife having died before him.

His son, Edward, died unmarried in April, 1862,
leaving his property to the children of his older
brother Samuel.


eldest son of Wm. C, was married May 3, 1838, to
Miss Mary Wilson, of Philadelphia. He died in
July, 1868.

His widow survived him seventeen years, and died
July 25, 1885.

Their four children were :

Jane, married to Franklin Eidgeley, from Bal-

Laura, married Rev'd Mr. Rhodes, of Cincinnati,,

Julia, married Mr. Taylor, of ISTew York.

William, the only son, died unmarried.



third son of Wm. Sen., married Virginia J.
daughter of Capt. Charles Mullikin.


was born in Kentucky August 3, 1798, and came
to St. Louis in the year 1817, with John Jacoby,
with whom he was learning the Saddlery and Har-
ness business.

In 1821 he formed a copartnership with William
Stark, his brother-in-law, in that line of business,
under the style of

" Grimsley & Stark,"
which continued but for a short time. Wm. Stark
died July 23, 1822, and Mr. Grimsley carried on
the business alone for a number of years, subse-
quently associating with him in 1835 his former ap-
prentice, John Young, and in 1844 his son-in-law,
George L. Stansbury, and son, John T. Grimsley.

During his long business life Mr. Grimsley was a
prominent and popular citizen.

In 1820 he was married in Indiana to Miss Susan
Stark, and died in St. Louis Dec'r 21, 1861, aged
(53 years, 4 months and 18 days.

Mrs. Grimsley, born ISTov'r 5, 1799, died Sept. 7,
1861, aged 61 years and 10 months.

Their children were :

Minerva, born July 5th, 1821, wife of Henry T.
Blow. She died June 29, 1870, aged 49 years.


Lucretia, married to George L. Stansbury,
Nov'r 23, 1841. Stansbury died June 25, 1876,
aged 60 years, 6 months.

John T. Grimsley, born in 1823, and died Jan'y
25, 1881, aged 58 years.

He was tAvice married, first, to Virginia Allen,
born in St. Louis in 1839, and died in May, 1861,
aged 21 years and 6 months, and secondly, to
Martha Ann Elbert, born Aug't 12, 1832, and died
April 3, 1867, aged 35 years.


son of Wm. Young and Mary Rutledge, was born
in Bourbon County, Ky., Oct. 25, 1814.

His parents removed to Missouri in the fall of
1816, when he was two years old, and settled on the
Coldwater Creek in St. Ferdinand Township, St.
Louis County. His father died about the year
1823, when he was about 7 years of age, his
mother then removed to St. Louis.

In 1829, at the age of fifteen, he was apprenticed
to Thornton Grirasley to learn the trade of Saddler
and Harness maker.

In 1835, at the age of 21, he was associated with
Mr. Grimsley as "John Young & Co.," Ko. 37
North Main, Saddlers.

In 1842 the firm expired, from which period until
the present Mr. Young has continued in the busi-
ness alone, for 46 years, for many years at the
northeast corner of Market and Main, and latterly


at the southwest corner of the same, where he con-
tinues until the present time.

Mr. Young was twice married, first in 1842 in
New Orleans to Miss Julia Wilcox, and secondly to
Miss Emily, daughter of Lewis li^ewell, formerly of
St. Louis.


"was born in Kockbridge County, Virginia, Feb. 29,

He removed to Missouri about the time of the
adoption of the State Constitution, and settled at
Jackson, Cape Girardeau County, where he estab-
lished a paper, which he published for some years.
Here his first wife died, and he removed to St. Louis
about the year 1826, and purchased the tract of land
known as Oak-hill, improved by the late Thos. C.
Rector, upon which he resided until his death.

Mr. Russell was twice married.

First, in Virginia, to Miss O'Bannon, whose
children were :

A son, Joseph W., who died in Cape Girardeau,
leaving a family, and a daughter, Martha, who was
the second wife of Jno. B. Sarpy.

On Sept. 29, 1826, Mr. Russell was married to
Miss Lucy, the second daughter of Silas Bent, Esq'r,
Clerk of the County Court.

By this lady Mr. Russell left two sons :

Jno. G. and Charles S., both married men, and
two daughters, Mrs. Trumbull G. Russell and Mrs.
Geo. W- Parker.


James Eussell died at Oak-hill, May 3, 1850,
aged 64 years, and Mrs. Russell, March 2, 1871.


was English from the Isle of Man.

John Collet born in 1751 was married to Ann
— in 1782. Their children were Robert, born in
1783, and Thomas.

the eldest son, came to St. Louis first in 1817, with
a large stock of merchandise, furnished him by the
old Philadelphia house of " Guy Bryan & Wm.
Schlatter, at 223 High Street, and well known
throughout the West." He purchased a lot on
South Main St., built a large brick house, and
opened his store early in 1818. In 1819-20, having
disposed of his merchandise and property in St.
Louis, he removed to Illinois. After an absence
from St. Louis of several years, during which he
married a lady by the name of Sophia Catherine
Austin, he returned to St. Louis, where he continued
to reside until his death in Sept., 1846, at the age of
63 years. His widow survived him a number of
years. Their children are :

Oscar, born in 1821, married to Miss Dunlop,
with several children.

Emma, born in 1824, married to Thos. Mark
Taylor in August, 1847.


Robert, Jr., married, with a large family, lives in
Utah Territory.


second son, was in business with Michael Daly here
in 1818, dissolved partnership with Daly in 1819,
and associated with Benj, Seward in 1820, and con-
tinued with S. until after 1821 ; until then unmar-


the widow above, was living in Madison Cy., 111.,
in 1817. In the year 1820 she purchased a house
in St. Louis, and moved here where she continued
to reside until her death in March, 1841, at an ad-
vanced age.


came to St. Louis in the year 1820.

In May, 1821, we find him associated with Doct.
W. Carr Lane in the practice of their profession,
which he followed during his residence here.

In the year 1829 he was appointed by Pres't
Andrew Jackson, to the position of Receiver of
Public Moneys for the land district of St. Louis,*
which office he held during the incumbency of
Presidents Jackson and Van Buren.

He resided for some years in St. Louis County,

* Succeeding Col. Geo. F. Strother


and subsequently removed to Muscatine, Iowa,
where he resided until his death, well advanced in
years, about the close of 1864.


from Lexington, Ky., opened in St. Louis in April,
1820, in the Book, Stationery and Binding business.
In 1821 Mr. Daniel Hough purchased the interest of
Mr. Beynroth, and the style of the firm was changed
to Essex & Hough.

Mr. T. Essex died Dec'r 12, 1827, leaving but
one son, Wm. T. Essex.

His widow was married to her second husband,
Doct. Thos. Houghan, Oct. 18, 1828, who purchased
the business and carried it on for a number of
years, ■ afterwards, about the year 1851, they re-
moved to Illinois.


a relative of Thomas Essex, came to St. Louis about
the year 1825, and was for many years engaged in
the business of book-binding, at first in connection
with the Book-house of Thomas Essex, and sub-
sequently for many years alone.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 16 of 24)