Copyright
Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 17 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 17 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He still resides with us at nearly four score
years of age.



-330 BIOGRAPHICAL.



HORATIO COZEKS,



was born in Philadelphia, Jan'y 13, 1795, a son of
Doct. Wm. Cozens, of Philadelphia, and Charlotte
ISiicholas, who were married in that city on January
2, 1794.

Of his father's family we know but little. On his
mother's side he was a grandson of Major Louis
IS^icholas, of the British Army, and his second wife,
Jane Bishop, of Kinsale, Ireland, who were married
in April, 1760, and came immediately to America
where her daughter Charlotte was born in Philadel-
phia, Feb. 9, 1761.

Mrs. Nicholas died in Phil'a, Feb. 20, 1797, and
her daughter, Mrs. Cozens, in Washington City in
1831, at the age of 70 years.

Doct. Cozens had removed to the District of Co-
lumbia.

Horatio Cozens came to St. Louis about 1816-17.
In the few years that he lived after coming to St.
Louis, having received an excellent education, Mr.
Cozens soon became a prominent member of our
bar, for his legal knowledge and eloquence.

He was married on JS^ovember 24, 1818, to Miss
Anne Caroline, the youngest daughter of Charles
Sanguinet, Sr., and died July 14, 1826, at the early
age of 31 years and 6 months,* leaving but one
son, Wm. H. Cozens, born May 15, 1820, and a



* Murdered by young French Strother, who fled to Texas, and
•escaped.



GEORGE MORTON. 331

daughter Marie, who died a few years since, the
wife of Doet. Hereford, of Ferguson Station.

Mr. Horatio Cozens' widow survived him many
years. She died on January 1, 1884, in her 84th
year.

GEORGE MORTON,

horn in Scotland, December 25, 1790, lived for
some time in Pittsburgh, Penn'a. He married Miss
Margaret Morrison, in Allegheny City, and came
to St. Louis with his family in 1818, and entered
into partnership with Philip Eocheblave, as Car-
penters and Builders. About the year 1823 he
formed a connection with Joseph C. Laveille in the
same line, which continued for some ten years until
1834, from which period Mr. Morton's business was
speculating in Town lots, of which he purchased
and sold a large number.

Their five daughters were :

Ellen, married first to Alfred Tracy, and secondly
to Doct. Meredith Martin.

Margaret M., married to Wm. P. Harrison, of
Hannibal, Missouri; died Feb'y 27, 1852, aged 33
years.

Mary Smith, married to Edwin C. Sloan, St.
Louis.

Christiana, married to Joseph S. Sloan, St.
Louis.

Sophia, married to Charles F. Tracy, St. Louis.

And one son, Peter C, who died unmarried in
Ifew Orleans, Sept. 9, 1853, aged 26 years.



332 BIOGRAPHICAL.

G-eorge Morton, died in St. Louis Jan'y 9, 1865^
aged 74 years.

Mrs. Margaret Morton, died Aug't 21, 1859^
aged 65 years.



WILLIAM MORRISON,

brother-in-law and partner of George Morton, born
at Pittsburgh, Penn'a, April 29, 1810, came to St.
Louis with him in 1818, a lad Q,f eight years.

He married Mary Ann Coleman, who was born
June 8, 1822, and died Dec'r 29, 1852, at the age
of 30 years, leaving two children.

Mr. William Morrison died in October, 1884,.
aged 74 years and 6 months.

Their two children were :

A son, John, who died a married man.

And daughter, Margaret E., who was married to
Hugh Davis Morrison, of Pittsburgh, deceased in
July, 1874, leaving three children, a daughter now
married, and two sons.



CHARLES p. BILLON, SR.,

the second son of Jean David Billon and Marguerite
Robert, was born in the Town of Locle, Canton of
ISTeufchatel and Valangin, Switzerland, on January
10, 1766.

His ancestors were French Huguenots, that had
left France at the revocation of the Edict of Nante&
by Louis 14th.



CHAELES BILLON, SR. 333

In 1787, at the age of twenty-one years, having
acquh-ed the profession of a Watch-maker, he came
to Paris, where he remained nearly four years, dur-
ing which he witnessed those exciting occurrences,
which preceded the breaking out of the Fi'ench
Eevohition, and the destruction of the ancient
Monarchy.*

In September, 1790, Mr. Billon crossed over to
England, with the passport of the King, Louis 16th
(now in my possession), and resided during the next
five years in London. In 1795 he came to the
United States and established himself in Philadel-
phia, the then Capital, carrying out his original
intention on leaving his native land of becoming an
American citizen.

On May 12, 1797, he was married, at the Trinity
Catholic Church in that City, to Miss Jeanne Char-
lotte, daughter of Pierre Hubert Stollenwerck, born
in Cape Francois, Island of St. Domingo, Sept. 17,
1781, her parents being of old French famihes, who
had emigrated to that Island from Paris about the
year 1765.

Charles Billon, Sr., continued in business with
varied success, in Philadelphia, for nearly twenty-
four years. In 1818, with his wife and numerous
family of eight children (having lost four others),
he removed to St. Louis, where he resided four
years, until his death Sept. 8, 1822, at the age of
56 years and 8 months.

* The destruction of the Bastile, July 14, 1789, the confederation of
the Champ de Mars, &c., speedily followed by the execution of the
King, Louis 16th.



334 BIOGRAPHICAL.

His widow, after having survived her husband the
almost unparalleled period of nearly 58 years, died
April 12, 1880, at the very advanced age of nearly
ninety-nine years.

Their children, all born in Philadelphia, were :

Frederic Louis, born April 23, 1801, married
Eulalie L. Generelly, May 20, 1829. Had twelve
children.

Charles P., born June 20, 1803, married Frances,
daughter of Col. Thos. F. Eiddick, he died Jan'y
19, 1863.

Virginia Jane, born May 9, 1805, married Paul
B. Gratiot; she died IS'ov'r 29, 1871.

Caroline Emily, born June 2, 1809, widow of
Capt. Jno. Atchison, of Galena.

Paul Gustavus, bornFeb'y 29, 1812, of Eichland,
Mo.

Henry Adolphus, born Feb'y 29, 1812, died July
3, 1824, aged 12 years.

Charles Alfred, born June 20, 1815, of Davenport,
Iowa.

Antoinette Theresa, born March 23, 1817, widow
of John J. Anderson.



JOHN rnSTNEY, SE.,



with his wife Sarah, and a family of seven children,
three sons and four daughters, most of them, if not
all, born in Ireland, came to St. Louis about the
year 1818.

He died Sept. 1, 1822, leaving a will dated Aug't
31, 1822, the day previous to his death, in vphich he



JUDGE HENRY SHURLDS. 335'

names his three sons, John, Wilham and James, the
last a mhior, and fotir daughters, all married, viz. :

Mary, Mrs. Mathers ; Ann, Mrs. Brooks ; Eliza-
beth, Mrs. Kells ; Margaret, Mrs. Wilson.

The brothers John and William were industrious,
pushing young men and soon acquired prominence
and position in this community, being extensively
engaged in mercantile affairs.

The two brothers married two of the sisters Lee.

John Finney was married to Miss Mary Ann Lee,
Sept. 4, 1827, and died March 2, 1868, leaving
no children.

William Finney was married to Miss Jane Lee,
March 17, 1825, and died Sept. 4, 1858, leaving
several sons and daughters.*



was born in Gloucester County, Virginia, IN'ov'r 21,,
1796, and studied his law with William Wirt, with
whom he practiced for a brief period in Richmond.
He came to St. Louis in 1819, remaining here some-
thing more than a year, he removed toPotosi, Wash-
ington County, in 1821.

He was Judge of the Washington Circuit for a.
number of years, which position he resigned to
accept the office of Secretary of State.

In IsTovember, 1832, he was elected Secretary of
the State Senate, and in Feb'y, 1833, appointed by



* The Rev'd Thos. M. Einney failing to reply to my request, I gatlien-d)
these particulars as best I could from the public records. — CoiiipikT.



:336 BIOGEAPHICAL.

the Grovernor Auditor of Public Accounts, iu which
oflSce he continued for four years, until March, 1837,
-when he resigned it to take the cashiership of the
new State Bank of Missouri.

This office Judge Shurlds filled for fifteen years,
until within a few months of his death, when ill-
health compelled him to resign it.

He died August 2, 1852, at the age of' 56 years,
leaving his widow with five daughters and one son,
Edward, who died in 1865.

Judge Shurlds had married JsTov'r 14, in the year
1822, at Potosi, Miss Jane J. Burt, daughter of
Andrew Burt, formerly of Baltimore, Mary'd, and
his daughters in after years became the wives of
Geo. W. Dent, B. H. Batte, Wm. D. W.
Barnard, &o.



BOOT. WM. OAEE LAJSTE



was born in Fayette County, Penn'a, Dec. 1, 1789,
the third son of Presley Carr Lane, a prominent
gentleman of that county, who in 1796 represented
his District in the State Senate of Pennsylvania, and
for more than twenty years a prominent man of his
district.

In his early years young Lane went to the com-
mon school of the place.

In 1802, at thirteen, he was sent to Jefferson Col-
lege, where he remained a couple of years.

In 1805 he spent a year in the office of an elder
brother, who was the Prothonotary of Fayette



DOCT. WM. CAEE LANE. 337

County, where he acquired familiarity with legal
matters, which served him greatly in after years.

In 1810, after he had become of age, he spent two
years at Dickinson College, Carlisle, where he
graduated with high honors.

In 1811 his father died, and his mother removed
her family to Shelby ville, Ky., in the fall of that
year. He going to Louisville, where he studied
medicine with Di"- Collins, a noted physician of
that City.

In 1813 he went with the Kentucky Volunteers,
under the command of Col. Russell, U. S. Army, to
Fort Harrison, on the Wabash, sixty miles north
of Yincennes, and was appointed Post Surgeon at
that Post.

After the war he spent the winter of 1815-16
attending the University coiirse in Philadelphia. In
1816 was appointed a Post Surgeon in the U. S.
Army, and served for three years at Fort Harrison
and on the Upper Mississippi River, and at Belle-
fontaine.

On May 3, 1819, he resigned from the Army, and
i;ook up his permanent residence in St. Louis, he
then having reached the age of 30 years.

In April, 1823, after the incorporation of St.
Louis, Doct. Lane was elected the first Mayor of
the City, and was annually re-elected for six con-
secutive years. In 1829 he declined a re-election, it
interfering too much with his practice. But in 1838
and '39 he was induced to again accept the office,
and served these two years, making eight years
in the office of Mayor.

22



338 BIOGRAPHICAL.

In 1852 President Fillmore appointed him Gover-
nor of N^ew Mexico, which position he filled until
the close of the Fillmore administration.

In 1821 he was an aid de camp of Gov'r
MclSTair.

Feb. 1, 1822, appointed Quar. Mas. Gen'l of the
State of Missouri.

In 1826 he was a member of the House of Kepre-
sentatives.

Doct. Wra. Carr Lane was married to Miss Mary
Ewing, daughter of Nath'l Ewing, Esq'r, on Feb-
ruary 26, 1818, at Yincennes, Ind'a.

They raised two daughters :

Sarah, the 2nd, married to "Wm. Glasgow, Jr.

Anne, the 1st, is unmarried.

Their only son, Victor, died a young man.

Doct. W- Carr Lane died Jan'y 6, 1863, at the
age of 74 years.

Several of the brothers of Doct. Lane lived in
St. Louis :

Richard, Henry, Jas. S.

WILLIAM GLASGOW, JR.,

son of James and Ann Eliza Glasgow, was born in
Christiana, Delaware, July 4, 1813. When five
years of age in 1818, his parents came to Missouri,
and settled at Chariton, then in Howard County,
where he went to school for some years, and after-
wards completed his education at the East.

In 1836 he estabUshed himself in business in St.
Louis, and about 1840, in connection with Amedee



JOHN LITTLE. 339'

Yalle and others they established the ' ' Missouri
Wine Comp.," of which he was for many years
the President.

Wm. Glasgow, Jr., was married to Miss Sarah S.
S. Lane, second daughter of Doct. Wm. Carr
Lane, by Bishop Kemper, April 16, 1840. She
died Feb'y 28, 1887, leaving several children.



AETHUK L. MAGENIS,

was an intelligent, shrewd young lawyer from Bel-
fast, Antrim Co., Ireland, who came to St. Louis
in the year 1818.

With but a limited practice in the courts for
some years, but with no small stock of assurance
and perseverance, he gradually pushed his way into
society, and in due time acquired prominence and
position.

He was married in 'New York, Oct. 22, 1831, to
Mary Eliza, daughter of Col. Wm. McRea, of the
U. S. Artillery.

About the year 1840 he removed to Washington
City, where he continued to reside until his death
early in the year 1848, leaving a handsome property
to his widow and two sons.



JOHN LITTLE,

was born in the County Down, Ireland, 1775, and
came to St. Louis about the year 1815. He kept a
store for a short time in the old Labbadie stone
house on Main above Chestnut.



340 BIOGRAPHICAL.

Oct. 19, 1816, he was married to Marie An-
toinette Labbadie, the young'est sister of Silvestre
Labbadie, who had been previously married to
Capt. John W. Honey, from whom she had been
divorced, and owned the store where Little was
doing business.

She died Feb. 18, 1818, aged 25 years, and John
Little, Aug't 23, 1820, aged 45 years. They had
no children, and Little obtained her property.



HON. JOHN D. DAGGETT,

was born on Dec'r 4, 1793, at Attleborough, Mass.,
and in his early youth learnt the trade of a Ma-
chinist.

In 1815 he worked a short time in Philadelphia at
lock making, and in 1816 for a short time at Pitts-
burgh. In 1817 he came west in the employ of
Reuben ISTeal, a Tin and Coppersmith, of Pitts-
burgh, to St. Louis, where he arrived in October of
that year, and had charge of Mr. IS^eal's business
for a period of three years.

In 1821, he was associated with Peter Haldeman
in commission business ; 1823 commenced a retail
dry-goods business alone, in which he was engaged
for some years.

In 1827, he was elected an Alderman of the City
Government.

In 1838, appointed Street Commissioner.

In 1839, he obtained a Charter for the St. Louis
Gas Light Company, of which he was one of



DOCT. ARTHUR NELSON. 341

the originators, and became its President in 1842,
which position he held until 1849.

In 1841, he was elected Mayor of the City.

In 1850, President of the Sectional Dock Com-
pany, whose affairs he managed for 24 years, until
his death in 1874.

He was generally successful in his various enter-
prises, until the latter portion of his life, when re-
verses overtook him in his old age, after many years
of usefulness.

Mr. Daggett was married in February, 1821, in
St. Louis, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Mr. Samuel
Sparks, of Maine. They were the parents of a nu-
merous posterity, raising seven daughters to become
married ladies, and two sons, William and James.

Mr. Daggett died May 9, 1874, in his 81st year,
and his widow but very recently.



DOCT. AETHUR NELSON'S

professional card, April 24, 1818. June 19th he
purchased the stock of Drugs and Medicines of
Simpson and Quarles, and continued the business.

1819, Feb. 9, Docts. Nelson and Hoffman associ-
ated and opened in Doct. Simpson's new brick, op-
posite the bank.

April 20, they removed to the late stand of Ren-
shaw and Hoffman, in Dent's frame row.

1820, Sept. 13, he removed to the lower end of
Main Street, and continued the practice of medicine
exclusively.



342 BIOGEAPHICAL.

Doct. ^Nelson was married May 25, 1819, to Miss
Eleanor, daughtei- of Doct. Edward S. Gannt. His
name is not found in the Directory of 1821.



DOCT. zBisro FEMSr,



came to St. Louis in 1820, and opened his office at
]N'o. 52 JSTorth Main, in the old Letourno house.
He was considered a skillful surgeon, but lived but
a few years with us, dying, unmarried, in Dee'r,
1824. Doct. H. L. Hoffman was his administrator.



DOCT. GEORGE P.

came from Copenhagen, Denmark, to the United
States.

He lived for some time in Pennsylvania, where
he married an American lady.

1817, he came to St. Louis alone, and July 11th
opened his professional office in Laforce Papin's
house, Main and Locust Streets.

1819, he removed his office to Perras' house, on
Second and Myrtle.

About 1820-21, he left St. Louis and was absent
in Europe for about two years, returning to St.
Louis in 1823, with a wife, to the surprise of every
one, whom he had left in Pennsylvania for several
years. They went to housekeeping on South Main
Street, and he resumed his practice. In the sum-
mer of 1823 his wife died without children, and
shortly afterwards he abandoned St. Louis. He
was well educated, a good musician, and fond of
music.



HENRY SHAW. 343

DOCT. PAUL MALO GEBERT,

born in France in 1794, came to St. Louis in 1818,
and commenced his practice Jan'y 1, 1819. After
a residence of nearly nine years in the place, his
practice being chiefly with our French population,
he died, unmarried, Nov'r 20, 1826, at the age of
32 years.



was born in Sheffield, England, July 24, 1800.

His father was an extensive manufacturer of cut-
lery, &c., in that place. Early in ]819 he came over
to the United States, landing at I^ew Orleans in
February or March, and came to St. Louis in the
Steamer Maid of ]S"ew Orleans, Capt. Davidson,
which had been built at Philadelphia, and came
around by sea to New Orleans, arriving there in
February, and landed at St. Louis in the evening of
Monday, May 3, 1819.

"When Mr. Shaw arrived in St. Louis, houses were
difficult to obtain, so he opened his stock in the 2nd
story over the store of Tracy & Wahrendorff, mer-
chants atlSTo. 4 ISTorth Main Street.

In the year 1823, John Mullanphy built two small
brick houses on Main, between Pine and Olive, Nos.
56 and 58. IsT. B. Atwood, Drugs and Medicines,
opened in one, and Henry Shaw, Hardware, in the
other. He remained here for some years, and then
removed to a larger house, ISTo. 98 on the next
block, between Olive and Locust.



344 BIOGRAPHICAL.

About the year 184-, Mr. Shaw havmg acquired a
competency, retired from business, made a voyage
to Europe ou a visit to his parents and relatives,
where he passed some time. In 184- he returned to
the U. S., accompanied by his parents and sisters,
who remained in IS^ew York, one sister, afterwards
Mrs. JuHus Morisse, coming with him to St.
Louis.

After his return to St. Louis, Mr. Shaw did not
again embark into business, but devoted his time to
the improvement of his large landed property in city
and country.

In 1842^3, Mr. Shaw became the owner in fee
of that large body of laud, extending from Grand
Avenue west to the old Manchester Road and King's
Highway, upon which he had made large loans to
Thos. J. Payne, its former owner, and upon which
he subsequently built his country residence, "Tower
Grove Mansion," and laid out his "Botanical Gar-
den" and "Tower Grove Park," to the adorn-
ment of which he has devoted many of the latter
years of his life, and expended large amounts of
money.

Mr. Shaw has just completed his eighty-eighth
year, is yet in vigorous health, with a prospect of
many years yet before him.



ABRAHAM BECK,



was born in Albany, ISTew York, of an old Knicker-
bocker family, about the year 179-. He came to



DOCT. RICHARD MASON. 345-

St, Louis in 1819, a young lawyer, and was asso-
ciated for a brief period with Josiah Spalding as
Lawyers and Land Agents.

He died Sept. 4, 1821, a young unmarried man,
after a brief residence in the place of less than two
years.

DOCT. LEWIS C. BECK,

a younger brother of Abraham Beck, came here
with him, from Albany, New Yoi'k, in the year
1819, he remained in the State about a couple of
years, principally occupied in perambulating the
different sections of the State, gathering the matter
for a Gazetteer of Illinois and Missouri, he was then
engaged in preparing for publication, which having
accomplished, added to the death of his brother in
1821, he returned to Albany, and produced his book
in the year 1823.

He was yet living in 1848, as in that year in New
York he produced a small volume, entitled " Botany
of the United States, north of Virginia."



DOCT. EICHAED MASON,

came to St. Louis, from Philadelphia, in Feb., 1820,,
with a wife and some two or three young daughters.
His gentlemanly bearing and affable manners soon
procured him an extensive practice, which he did
not live long to enjoy. He died April 11, 1824,
aged about 40, and was the first person interred in
the "Masonic Burying Grround," purchased by the-



346 BIOGRAPHICAL.

"Fraternity" from the estate of Jeremiah Conner,
bounded by St. Charles Street, Washington Ave-
nue, Tenth and Eleventh Streets, at that date far
•out in the countrv.



JOSIAH SPALDING,



was born in Connecticut, about 1797, and took his
degrees at Yale College in 1817, with the first
honors, and was then a teacher in Columbia Col-
lege, New York, for a couple of years, in mean-
time pursuing the study of law.

In the winter of 1819-20, he removed to St.
Louis, and entered into the practice of his pro-
fession, associated with Abraham Beck.

In 1822, when Mr. "Edward Charless re-purchased
the Missouri G-azette, which had been sold by his
father, Mr. Joseph Charless, Sr., in Sept., 1820,
to James Cummins, Mr. Spalding was engaged as
the Editor.

As a Counsellor at Law,' he rapidly rose to
eminence, and soon ranked with the first at the
Bar as a commercial Lawyer.

Mr. Spalding was married April 2nd, 1828, in
St. Louis, to Mrs. Agnes P. Gay, a widow lady
from the east with two children, who had been
teaching school for some years.

In after years Mr. Spalding and Ham'n K.
Gamble became associated as Attorneys at Law.

Mr. Spalding died May, 1852, leaving a widow
-and several children.



SAMUEL WILLI. 347

AMOS WHEELER,

Attorney and Counsellor, came to St. Louis from
Albany, 'New York, in 1819, and opened his office
JSTov'r 17th in the Smith house, ISTo. 7 North Maiu
Street.

On May 26th, 1822, he was married to Miss
Anne, the eldest daughter of Joseph Charless, Sr.,
and died on June 8th, thirteen days after his mar-
riage, aged about 40 years.



SAMUEL WILLI,



was born in Mercer County, Pennsylvania, Aug't
5, 1796. He came to St. Louis in 1820, and en-
tered into partnership with Richard Milligan, un-
der the style of

"Milligan and Willi, Merchant Tailors,"
'No. 52 JN'orth Main Street, above Pine, and fol-
lowed the business for many years, at various loca-
tions, until he had acquired a competency, when
he relinquished business altogether.

Mr. Willi was married on April 26, 1827, to
Miss Lucinda, daughter of Capt. Uri Musick, of
Gravois, St. Louis County, and died June 27, 1876,
in his 80th year.

The only child they raised, Miss Eebecca Willi,
was married Dec'i- 25, 1852, to DeWitt Clinton
JBrown, from New York, now deceased.



348 BIOGRAPHICAL.

Mrs. Willi yet survives at the age of about SO
years.

Her father, Capt. Uri Musick, served as a
mounted i-anger in the war of 1812-15.



JAMES TIMON, ESQ'r,

born in Ireland, lived a number of years in Balti-
more, where most of his children were born, and
for a time in Louisville, Ky.

He came to St. Louis in the summer of 1819,
with a family of wife, two sons, and six daughters.
And associated with his eldest son John opened a
" Xew Store" on August 4, 1819, on Main Street
below Elm.

He was not long in business here. In 1820 they
purchased a JS^ew Madrid Claim for 640 acres of
land, which they located on Sees. 15 and 22, west
of and adjoining the Grratiot League Square, upon
which he cleared a farm, built a dwelling house,
and lived there for over twenty years, returning to
the city about the year 1841, where for ten years
more he was employed as a collector, dying in
1851.

He left, by his will, what property he possessed
to his oldest son, John, who had become a Catholic
Priest, and subsequently was the well known K.
Rev'd Bishop of Buffalo, 'New York.

The children of James and Ellen Timon were :

Mary M., married to Benj. Ames, in Louisville.



EANKEJS BROTHEKS. 349

Eosa, married to Michael Daly, of Perry Cy., in
St. Louis, Aug. 26, 1819.

Margaret, married to Hugh Mulligan, Feb'y 22,
1827.

Agatha, married to Wm. Douglass, lHov. 1,
1829.

Anna, married to James McGee, May 4, 1830.

Elizabeth, married to — Maginnis.

His second son, Owen y., was for many years a
Collector and Notary Public in St. Louis, and died
here not many years back.



THE EAI^KEH BROTHERS, HUGH, ROBERT AND
DAVID,

were born at Lisboy, Londonderry County, Ire-
land, about seven miles from Colerain, in Antrim
County, on the river Bann which separates the two
Counties.

Hugh must have been the first of the Brothers
who came to the LTnited States, as he was in busi-


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 17 of 24)