Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 18 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 18 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

ness in Philadelphia from 1814 to 1818, about five
years, at IsTo. 49 Chestnut Street. He then came
out to Louisville in 1818, where he remained about
one year, and to St. Louis late in the summer of
1819, accompanied by his brother Eobert, and
opened their store at JN'o. 25 IS'orth Main Street.

Hugh Eanken died unmarried July 11, 1825,
aged about 36 years.



born in 1793, after the death of his brother, Hugh,
continued in business alone for nearly twenty-five
years longer, and died on Dec'r 31, 1849, aged
about 56 years. He had been very successful in
business, and left a large estate.


born in 1800, the third of the brothers who came
to the United States, during all this long period had
been actively engaged in business in Philadelphia,
at first for a number of years in the Grocery line,
at the old stand of his brother, 49 Chestnut
Street, and afterwards for a much longer period in
the Tea-trade at 73 Chestnut St., where he had
purchased out and succeeded Samuel Brown, and_
where he realized a very large fortune.

He came to St. Louis in 1850, and died here
April 9, 1859, aged 59.


Architect and Builder, was born in Harrisburgh,
Penn'a, where he married, and came here with his
wife in 1819, accompanied by Jacob Rupley, who
was associated with him in that line for a few years.
In 1823 he formed a copartnership with George
Morton, the style of the firm being " Laveille &
Morton," they were the leading builders in St. Louis
for a number of years, erected a number of resi-


dences and other building's, and several of our early-
public edifices, amongst them the first brick Episco-
pal Church in 1825-26; at the northwest corner of
Third and Chestnut, on the ground now covered
with the south-east corner of the Merchants' Ex-
change building. And in 1827-28, the first brick
Court-house on Fourth, now occupied by the eastern
portion of our present Court-house.

Mr. Laveille served us four years as Street Com-
missioner, from 1823 to 1826, and ten years a mem-
ber of the Board of Aldermen, from 1827 to 1836,
when he declined a re-election.

The copartnership with George Morton was dis-
solved in 1834, each of them confining his business
thereafter to dealing in lumber.

Mrs. Elizabeth Laveille, his first wife, died in
1834, leaving two sons and two daughters, all born
in St. Louis, of whom one died young.

Mr. Laveille married his second wife, Mrs. Lavina,
widow of Edward P. Wheeler, June 30, 1836, and
died Sept. 19, 1842, aged about 54 years, leaving-
a son and daughter by his second marriage. Mrs.
Laveille, his widow, died in the winter of 1848-49,
leaving three daughters by her first husband
Wheeler. Mr. Laveille' s two sons, Eugene and
Theodore, were young men at their father's death-

The Wheeler children were:

A son, Henry M.

Ann Eliza, married John Hartnett.

Lavina P., married Greo. W- Campbell.



was born in l^ew Brunswick, JS^ew Jersey, 1795.

He came to St. Louis in the fall of 1817, and
established his blacksmith shop next below the
southeast corner of Second and Spruce Streets,
where he soon acquired the reputation of a master-
workman in his line ; in 1820 he moved his shop
diagonally across to the north-west corner, and
about 1825 to his new shop, on the east side of Main
just north of Sprace, where he carried it on success-
f nlly the balance of his thirteen years' residence in
our place.

John L. Sutton was for several years an Alder-
man of the Board from the south ward of the City,
representing it in 1824, '27, '28 and '29.

He died unmarried July 7, 1830, at the age of
35 years.

His heirs were four brothers and three sisters :

James C, Henry, Joseph, and William.

Mary, widow of Henry Taylor, with five chil-

Sarah, wife of James Wilgus.

Catherine, who died unmarried.


his brother, born in ]S^ew Brunswick, 'New Jersey,
July 1, 1797, came to St. Louis about the year
1820, and for a few years was associated with his
вАҐelder brother, John L., in the blacksmith business.


In 1826, at the public sale of the lands belong-
ing to the estate of Charles Gratiot, Sr., he pur-
chased a piece of 400 arpents, at the southwest
corner of Gratiot's League Square, about seven
miles from the Court House, totally unimproved
and covered with its original timber.

He set to work at once to improve 'it, built a
temporary frame dwelling, and commenced clearing
the land for cultivation. As the years rolled by
he continued its improvement, built for himself a
large stone dwelling and other buildings, untQ
finally at his death, a few years back, he left it
to his numerous family, a valuable inheritance.

James C. Sutton was married Oct. 1, 1829, to
Miss Anna, daughter of Joseph Wells, of Gravois
Settlement. He died July 19, 1877, at the age
of 80 years and 18 days, leaving 9 children of

John L., Chas. W., Henry L., James C, Isam,
Mary C, Sarah "W"., Catherine C.


was born in N^ewburyport, Massachusetts, in l^o-
vember, 1796.

In the winter of 1819-20, he came to St. Louis
from Philadelphia, one of the firm of J. J. Smith
& Co., and opened in the Drug business in the
building No. 67 South Main St., just vacated by
the old Bank of St. Louis. About the year 1823,
Doct. Atwood, then alone, removed to IS'o. 56 North



Main. A few years later Doct. Atwood went to
Memphis, Tennessee, where he remained several
years and then returned to St. Louis, and again en-
gaged in his former business of Druggist, which
he followed, until his death, at various localities in
the City.

Doct. Atwpod was twice married. First, to
Miss Green, of Trenton, New Jersey; this lady
died at Memphis, Tennessee, in Sept., 1828.

In 1831, he was married to Miss Elizabeth F.
Legrand, of Tennessee. Doct. Atwood died at
St. Louis in March, 1860, after a residence of
nearly forty years in the place, aged 64 years.

His widow survived him until February, J 887.

They leave but one son, Doct. Legrand Atwood,
a prominent physician of our City.


Tallow Chandler, born in Ireland, came to St. Louis
with his wife and family in the year 1820, and
commenced the manufacture of Soap and Candles
on the east side of Second Street, third door below
"Walnut, which he carried on for about ten years.

He died July 12, 1830, leaving his widow Eliza-
beth, five daughters and a son.

Mary, Jane, Ellen, Elizabeth and Winifred, and a
son Charles H.



Merchant, was born in Leitrim County, Ireland, in
1793, came to St. Louis in 1819, and in January,
1820, commenced business as the partner of Michael
Castello in Becquet's old house. South Main St.,
below Elm.

In March, 1820, he formed a new connection with
James 0. Cummins and removed to McKnight &
Brady's brick store No. 44, the south-east corner of
Main and Pine Streets.

In Sept., 1820, the firm of Gilhuly and Cummins
was " dissolved."

Cummins having purchased the Missouri Gazette
newspaper, retired from the firm, selling his interest
in same to Gilhuly, who continued alone for some
year^ until his death.

He died May 21, 1825, aged 32 years.

He married Mary, the eldest daughter of "Wm^
Higgins, who after the death of Gilhuly, in 1825,
remained a widow for 9 years, and then was
married April 20, 1834, to Hugh O'JS'eil, Jr., a

IN'athaniel Patterson married Winifred, youngest,
daughter of Wm. Higgins, Oct. 27, 1827.

Mr. Patterson died in 1846. Their only child,
Ehzabeth, became the wife of James Slevin, both-
deceased, leaving the old lady alone in the world.
at over four score.



was born in Westmoreland, Orange County, Ife
York, in the year 1778.

In the year 1808, he was married to Mif
Frances Flood, who was born in County Donega

Mr. Knapp was a Cabinet-maker, he came to S
Louis with his wife and six children in 1819, his tw
youngest bemg born in St. Louis. Their eigt
children were :

Edward J., born 1809, in ]^. Y., married, die
in St. Joseph, July 8, 1879.

Eliza, born 1811, in 'N. Y., married to Judg
Rogers, died in Carlyle, Ills., 1868.

Fannie, born 1812, in K. Y., married to Fre(
erick Beltzhoover, died in St. Louis, 1855.

George, .born Sept. 25, 1814, in IS". Y., mai
ried to Miss Ellen McCartan, died in St. Louis
Sept. 18, 1883.

John, bom 1816, in N. Y., married to Yirgini

Mary, born 1818, in N. Y., unmarried, died i
Louisiana, 1882.

William, born 1820, in St. Louis, unmarriec
died in St. Louis, 1856.

Margaret, born 1823, in St. Louis, unmarriec

Mr. Edward Knapp, Sr., died in St. Louis, Sepi
15, 1823, aged 45.

Mrs. Frances Knapp died in St. Louis, 185*
about 63.



born in Montgomery, Orange County, New York,
Sept. 25, 1814, was married to Miss Eleanor Mc-
Cartan, in St. Louis, Dec'r 22, 1840.

Their children :

Louisa, first Mrs. l^apoleon Mullikin, secondly
Mrs. Whitmore.

Ida, Mrs. Hoblitzelle.

Shepard, married.

Vernon W., married.

George, unmarried.

Andy J., married.

Harry G., single.

Benjamin F., single.

Thomas M., married.
.Eleanor J., single.


was born in Culpepper County, Virginia, in the
year 1787, and was a prominent Lawyer and Mem-
ber of Congress from his district in 1817-19, and
took an active and efficient part in the prosecution
of " Old Hickory," for his alleged offense against
the laws of Nations, in pursuing the British across
the line into Florida.

In 1820, he was appointed by President Monroe
to succeed Col. Samuel Hammond, in the office of
Receiver of Public Moneys, in the St. Louis Land
District; and U. S. Attorney and Fiscal Agent,


and immediately acquired great prominence at the
bar of St. Louis, where he was a familiar and im-
portant personage for a number of years.

He brought with him from Virginia a wife and
young son. Mrs. Sarah G. Strother died on May
7, 1824, in St. Louis. On June 2d, 1825, Col.
Strother was married at Lexington, Ky., to Miss
Theodosia L., daughter of John W- Hunt, Esq'r,
a wealthy citizen of that place, of the Hunts of
Trenton, !N"ew Jersey.

The fruit of this marriage was a single daughter,
who with her mother figured for many years in
fashionable life in this country and in Europe.

Col. Gj-eorge F. Strother died on Saturday, ]S"ov.
28, 1840, at his residencer in this City, at the age of
53 years, and was interred in Christ Church Cem-
etery. His remains now lie in Bellefontaine. His
son had died young.

who married March 21, 1824, the second daughter
of General B. Pratte, Sr., came to St. Louis with
Col. Strother as his chief clerk. Alexander died at
Pratte's July 15, 1826.

His widow, Mrs. Alexander, married her second
husband, Mr. Louis D. Peugnet, from France, in
Philadelphia, February, 1830; by this marriage
there are two sons, both married men with families,
Mr. Ernest Peugnet, of St. Louis, and Armand
Peugnet, of Paris, France.



was born at Fort Lee, New Jersey, on the Hudson,
opposite 'New York, April 19, 1797.

He came to St. Louis in the year 1819, in the
employment of Col. Richard Johnson and brother,
of Kentiicky, the proprietors of the steamers then
engaged in the transportation up the Missouri of
the expedition of Gren'l Henry Atkinson, to estab-
lish the Military post at the Council Bluffs, then
Indian Territory, above Omaha, now JSTebraska.

We had then in St. Louis several Andersons, no
way related to each other. Our Mr. Anderson, a
fine looking young man, always well and fashion-
ably dressed, soon received from his numerous,
friends and intimates the descriptive appellation of
"Beau Anderson."

He was with us several years, and then returned
to the east, and became a permanent resident of
"Washington City, D. C, where he resided until his
death in that city.

Mr. Anderson was married Dec. 23, 1832, to
Miss EUza SawMns, a young lady from Southamp-
ton, England, and died Jan'y 19, 1853, aged 55
years and 9 months.

Mrs. Anderson, with her five children, subse-
quently removed to St. Louis.

Gertrude C, Mrs. Robert Metcalf, deceased.

Laura L., Mrs. Henry T. WilHams.

G-arret Anderson, Jr., born April, 1838.

Wm. H. H. Anderson, born Oct. 19, 1840, and
George C. Anderson.



was born at Halifax, "Windliam County, Vermont,,
Oct. 15, 1795.

In 1803 his parents removed with their children to
Franklin County, Massachusetts, and in October,
1806, to Jefferson Co., JS^ew York, where he re-
mained until the year 1819, when he went out to
the western country.

During the war of 1812-15, Capt. Shepard
served for a time in the New York State militia,
and participated in several actions.

He. arrived in St. Louis Aug't 10, 1820. With
an excellent education, Capt. Shepard early be-
came a teacher, and followed the profession for
many years.

Capt. Shepard was married at Belleville, Ills.
on Aug't 10, 1823, to Miss Mary Thomas, who
died June 6, 1864; they had but one child, Mary
Malinda, who was twice married, first to Britton
A. Hill and secondly to D. Robert Barclay.

On December 18, 1866, B. H. Shepard married
a second time, he then in his 72nd year, to Mrs.
Catherine, widow of Wm. IsT. Card, by whom he
left a young son.

Capt. Shepard died in St. Louis on March 19th,
1876, aged 80 years and 5 months and 4 days.
His remains were taken to Jefferson Co., New
York, and interred in the family ground with
those of his first wife.



was born in Virginia, and came to St. Louis about
the year 1821, and commenced the practice of

In July, 1826, he was appointed Secretary of
State, under Governor John Miller, which office he
resigned in 1828, to become a candidate for Con-
gress, to which office he was elected.

Li 1830 he was re-elected to the same office.

In his duel with Major Thomas Biddle on Friday,
Aug. 27, 1830, both parties were mortally wounded^
Mr. Pettis dying Saturday, Aug't 28th, and Major
Biddle the following Monday.

Mr. Pettis was interred on Sunday, Aug. 29th,
in the City Cemetery, Park Avenue and Sixth
Street, yet young and unmarried.


was born in 1795, near Harrisburgh, Pennsylvania.

While yet a child, his father and family removed
to Point Pleasant, Virginia, on the Ohio, at the
mouth of the big Kenawha.

After he had attained his manhood, he came to
St. Louis, and was for a number of years engaged
in steamboating.

Capt. I^ewman was married on May 1, 1824, to
Miss Susan, daughter of Louis Tarteron Labeaume,
then recently deceased.


He died on July 1, 1849, at the age of 54,
followed but two days later, July 3rd, by that of his

They left but one son, our old fellow citizen,


Who was born Oct. 21, 1826, and was married
on Dec'r 21, 1852, to Miss Yitahs, daughter of
Doct. Louis Yitalis, dec'd, a native of France.
They have been the parents of eleven children, of
whom four sons and four daughters are living.


two young Irishmen of good education, came to
St. Louis in 1820 with an Invoice of Merchandise,
and opened a store in Clark's stone row, l^o. 35.
They continued in business here for several years.

Hugh Johnson died unmarried, August 6, 1825.

After the death of his partner, Mr. ISTagle aban-
doned mercantile pursuits, and entered into the prac-
tice of law, for which he had been preparing himself
by study for some years.


two young Philadelphians, came to St. Louis in
1820, under the patronage of Nathaniel Burt, a
merchant of Philadelphia, with a fine stock of mer-


<;handise, and opened a branch of his house atl^o. 1,
Chouteau's new brick row, Aug't 17, 1820, under
the style of " Paul & Ingram," which soon secured
a, good run of custom.

Nathan Paul died Oct. 3, 1823, and Henry Eeilly
came out to fill the vacant place ; the new firm

" Ingram & Reilly."

Arthur Ingram married Miss Berrian, of

New York, and died at his father's home near
Pittsburgh, Sept., 1828, in his 29th year.

Henry Reilly married Miss Julia Paddock, August
9, 1827, and died in St. Louis, Jan'y 24, 1831.


wras born in Eichmond, Virginia, August 15, 1800.

Went to school in his native State, and studied
Law and graduated at Princeton College, New

After the admission of Missouri as a State, he
came to Ste. Genevieve, and commenced the practice
of his profession, associated with the Hon. John
Scott, our first Representative in Congress.

In 1827, Mr. Allen removed to St. Louis with his
first wife, and soon acquired an eminent position at
our bar, where for a number of years he enjoyed a
very lucrative practice.

Mr. Allen was three times married, first in Ste.
Crenevieve, to Miss Celeste M., the only child of


George Bullitt, of that place; this lady died July 21,.

Mr. Allen's second marriage was on October 16,
1832, to Mrs. Ann, the widow of Charles Wahren-
dorff, dec'd, and eldest daughter of Joseph Charless,
Sen'r. This lady died I^oy'r 1, 1832, at New'
Orleans, having herself been three times married.

April 3, 1834, Mr. Allen was married to Miss
Penelope, daughter of the Hon. JSTathaniel Pope, of

Mr. Allen died Sept. 10, 1845, in ISTew York, on
his return from Europe, where he had gone for the
benefit of his health ; he was yet in his prime, aged'
but 45 years and 26 days.

His lady still survives him.


was bom near Snowhill, "Worcester County, Mary-
land, Oct. 21, 1812. His father's ancestors were
French, his mother a daughter of Peter and Cather-
ine Collier of that place.

In the year 1820, when eight years of age, his
mother being dead, and his grandmother, Mrs. Col-
lier, having settled in St. Charles, he was brought to
Missouri by his uncle, John Collier, and remained
with his grandmother at St. Charles until 1823, when
he returned to his father's residence in Maryland to-
receive his education, which being completed, he
returned -to St. Louis in the year 1833, and was ad-
mitted to the bar at the age of 21 years.


Soon thereafter in 1834, concluding to change his
Yocation, he entered into partnership with James T.
qSweringen, as Dry-goods Merchants, on IS^orth
Main Street.

In 1838, he associated with him, his brother John
'C Bredell, as Dry-goods Merchants, at the south-
west corner of Main and Market Streets. About
the year 1850, Mr. Bredell retired altogether from
business, and removed his residence to the south
side of Lafayette Park, where he continues to reside
to the present day.

April 6, 1835, Mr. Bredell was married to Miss
Angeline Cornelia, the only daughter of the late
Samuel Perry, Esq., of Potosi, Washington County,
Mo., born Oct. 12, 1818; she died June 28, 1887, at
the age of 68 years and 8 months.

Lieut. Edward Bredell, Jr., the only child they
raised, born Aug. 3, 1839, was killed in the Confed^
erate service at Ashby's Gap, Virginia, IS^ov. 16,
1864, at the age of 25 years, 3 months.


brother of Edward, was born at Snowhill, Mary-
land, Feb'y 22, 1815; he came to St. Louis a young
man, about the year , and established a manu-
factory of cotton batting.

He died unmarried Jan'y 5, 1853, at the age of
38 years.



The President of the United States of America,
and the First Consul of the French Repubhc, in the
name of the French people, desiring to remove all
source of misunderstanding relative to objects of
discussion mentioned in the second and fifth articles
of the convention of the 8th Vendemiaire An. 9
(30th Sept., 1800) relating to the rights claimed by
the United States, in virtue of the treaty, concluded
at Madrid, the 27th October, 1795, between his
Catholic Majesty and the said United States ; and
willing to strengthen the union and friendship which
at the time of the said convention was happily re-
established between the two nations ; have respect-
ively named their plenipotentiaries, to wit: the
President of the United States of America, by and
"with the advice and consent of the senate of the said
states, Robert E. Livingston, minister plenipoten-
tiary of the United States, and James Monroe,
minister plenipotentiary and envoy extraordinary of
the said states, near the government of the French
Repubhc, and the first Consul, in the name of the
JFrench people, the French citizen Barbe Marbois,


minister of the public treasury, who, after having
respectively exchanged their full powers, have
agreed to the following articles :

Article 1. Whereas, by the article, the third, of
the treaty concluded at St. Ildefonso, the 9th Yende-
miaire. An. 9 (1st October, 1800) between the first
Consul of the French Republic and his Catholic
Majesty, it was agreed as follows: " His Catholic
" Majesty promises and engages on his part, to
"retrocede to the French Republic, six months
*' after the full and entire execution of the conditions
" and stipulations herein relative to his royal high-
*' ness the duke of Parma, the colony or province of
" Louisiana, with the same extent that it now has
" in the hands of Spain, and that it had when
" France possessed it, and such as it should be after-
" the treaties subsequently entered into between
"Spain and other States." And whereas in pur-
suance of the treaty, and particularly of the third
article, the French Republic has an incontestible
title to the domain, and to the possession of the said
Territory. The first Consul of the French Republic
desiring to give to the United States a strong proof
of his Friendship, doth hereby cede to the United
States, in the name of the French RepubUc, forever-
and in full sovereignty the said Territory, with all
its rights and appurtenances, as fully and in the
same manner as they have been acquired by the
French Repubhc in virtue of the above mentioned
treaty, concluded with his Catholic Majesty.

Article 2. In the cession made by the preceding
article are included the adjacent Islands belonging


to Louisiana, all public lots and squares, vacant
lands, and all public buildings, fortifications, bar-
racks, and other edifices, whiph are not private
property. The archives, papers and documents,
relative to the domain and sovereignty of Louisiana,
and its dependencies, will be left in the possession of
commissaries of the United States, and copies will
be afterwards given in due form to the magistrates
and municipal officers, of such of the said papers
and documents as may be necessary to them.

Article 3. The inhabitants of the ceded territory
shall be incorporated in the Union of the United
States, and admitted as soon as possible, according
to the principles of the federal constitution, to the
enjoyment of all the rights, advantages and immuni-
ties of citizens of the United States ; and in the
meantime they shall be maintained and protected in
the free enjoyment of their liberty, property, and
the religion which they profess.

Article 4. There shall be sent by the govern-
ment of France, a commissary to Louisiana, to the
end that he do every act necessary, as well to re-
ceive from the officers of* his Catholic Majesty the
said country and its dependencies, in the name of
the French republic, if it has not been already done,
as to transmit it in the name of the French republic
to the commissary or agent of the United States.

Article 5. Immediately after the ratification of
the present treaty by the President of the United
States, and in case that of the First Consul shall
have been previously obtained, the commissary of
the French republic shall remit all the military posts


of IsTew Orleans, and other parts of the ceded ter-
ritory, to the commissary or commissaries named
by the President to take possession ; the troops
wliether of France or Spain, who may be there,
shall cease to occupy any military post from the
time of taking possession, and shall be embarked as
soon as possible, in the course of three months after
the ratification of this treaty.

Article 6. The United States promise to execute
such treaties and articles as may have been agreed

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 18 20 21 22 23 24

Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 18 of 24)