Copyright
Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 5 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 5 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


"Eoad to Euin." Goldfinch, Mr. Martin;
Sophia, Mrs. Turner. See bills.

1819, June 2. museum

Of wax figures ; on exhibition at the Illinois
Hotel, Yosti's, Main street, opposite Wilt's Store.



SCHOOL NOTICES EEOM GAZETTE.

1809. Jan. The Rev. Christopher Frederick
Schewe, formerly Professor at Paris, France, jm'o-
poses to open a French and English Gri-anmiar
School, in the house of Mr. Alvarez, Market
Street.

(Meeting with poor success as a grammarian, he
changed his vocation to painting and glazing.)
20 Sept. Peter St. Martin's Dancing School at
Mr. Yosti's house, the last new dances, particu-
larly the waltz, also the science of fencing and
broadsword.



SCHOOLS AND TEACHERS. 79''

Nov. 16. Isaac Septlivres proposes to teach Draw-
ing, Q-eographj, Mathematics and French Gram-
mar at Mr. Vincent Bouis' house.

1810, May 9. George Tompkins will open a school
in the house of Mr. Alvarez, on Monday, May
7th.

1812, May 9. Madame Pescay^s prospectus for a.
Young Ladies' Academy and Boarding School in
Sanguinet's house on Second Street.

June 6. Isaac Septlivres and George Tompkins
associated to open a school Aug. 7, 1812.

1813, May 8. Mrs. Jane Richard's school to com-
mence May 7th, in Manuel Lisa's house on Second
Street.

1814, June 4. George Tompkins relinquishes his
school. (He changed to the law, and became one
of the Judges of the Supreme Court of the State,
after our admission.)

1815, Jarnes Sawyer announces his intention to-
open a seminary.

1816, Oct. 12. The Rev. Mr. Giddings will open a
school in St. Louis, in a few days.

1817, May 27. Robert S. Lett's school, Maii>.
Street next below Mr. Wilt's store.

Oct. 25, Durochers' dancing school card at San-
guinet's house.



80 HISTORICAL.

1817, Dee. 27. Rev'ds. John M. Peck and James
E. Welch, Baptist missionaries, will open an
academy near the Post-office.

1818, Jan. 3. Rev. Salmon Griddings will open a
school for young ladies and gentlemen on Mon-
day, Jan. 5, 1818, at his new house on the hill,
south side of Market above 4th.

Jan. 23. A. C. Vanhertum, from Amsterdam, will
teach the Forte Piano and Clarionet, at the corner
house adjoining the Q-azeJtte office.

Sept. 8. Mrs. Perdreauville, opened her young
ladies academy.

Oct. 23. The Reverend M. ]^iel, with three other
Catholic priests, under the auspices of the Right
Rev. Bishop Dubourg, will open on the 16th of
JS'ovember, in the house of Mrs. Alvarez, an
academy for young gentlemen.

1819, Sept. 13. The Rev. Francis ISTiel will re-open
his school for the second year.

1820, Jan. 26. Miss P. Lefavre's young ladies
French and English Academy, at Mr. Michael
Tesson's house on Main Street.

April 12. Edward McManus' Juvenile School, in
Papin's stone house, upstairs.

It would appear that most of these early schools
in St. Louis had but a very brief existence.



EARLY DUELS. 81

Bishop Dubourg's College, built on the site of

the old Catholic Log church, on 2nd, below Market,

in 1820.

Eev. Francis Niel, curate of the Cathedral Presi-
dent.

Eev. Leo Deys, Professor of Languages.

Kev. Andreas Ferrari, Professor of Ancient Lan-
guages.

Eev. Aristide Anduze, Professor of Mathematics.

Eev. Michael Gr. Saulnier, Professor of Languages.

Mr. Samuel Smith, Professor of Languages.

Mr. Patrick Sullivan, Professor of Ancient Lan-
guages.

Mr. Francis C. Gruyol, Prof. "Writing and Drawing.

Mr. John Martin, Prefect of the Studies.



EAKLY DtlELS, FROM THE GAZETTE.
FIRST, FARRAR AISTD GRAHAM.

Dec, 1810. The Louisiana G-azeUe alludes briefly to
an affair of honor that took place a few days be-
fore, but gives no particulars of it, nor the names
of the parties.

Dopt. Eobert Simpson, here at the time and fa-
miliar with the facts, long afterwards gives this
account of it : —

' ' The first duel on Bloody Island was in 1810,
*' between Doct. Farrar and James A. Graham —
' ' Farrar was the bearer of a challenge to Graham ' '
' ' (he does not say from whom) , Graham declined
"to accept it, on the plea that the challenger was



82 HISTORICAL.

"not a gentleman; according to the established
" code in such cases, Farrar became theprincipal —
" Graham was severely wounded, and went on
" crutches for about a year, and died on his way

"east."*

SECOND, CAPT. GEyEE AND GEOKGE H. KENNERLY,

took place on Bloody Island in 1816, it originated
in some trifling misunderstanding. Doct. Simpson
was present as Geyer's surgeon. At the second
fire Kennerly was wounded in the knee which
lamed him for some years. They afterwards be-
came good friends, and both lived to become
respectable old men with large families, and to
laugh at the folly of their younger days.

Aug., 1818.

EOUKTH, CAPTS. MARTIN AND THOS, RAMSEY,

both of the Ist Regiment U. S. Rifles, at Bloody
Island, in which Capt. Ramsey received a mortal
wound of which he died shortly after, on Aug.
6th, 1818.

Aug., 1817.

THIRD, THOMAS H. BENTON AND CHARLES LUCAS.

They had two meetings, the first one on Tues-
day, August 12th. At 9 o'clock at night of the



* Robert Wash administered on his estate and sold his personal effects
in Dec, 1811 — a fine riding horse, saddle and bridle, valuable booksi
clothing and furniture.



BENTON AND LUCAS. 83

11th, the evening before the first meeting, Charles
Lucas prepared the "following written statement
of the origin of the differences between himself
and Col. Benton : —

" At the election held on the 4th August, 1817,
" when Benton offered his vote, Lucas inquired
" if he, Benton, had paid the tax in time to enable
' ' him to vote — Benton then applied abusive and
" ungentlemanly language to Lucas, and Lucas
" then challenged him." They met on the morn-
ing of the 12th, Luke E. Lawless the second of
Benton, and Joshua Barton of Lucas. They fired
one shot, Lucas was wounded in the neck, and
Benton a slight contusion below the right knee.
Lucas being too badly wounded to continue the
fight, Col. Lawless, Benton's second, asked him
if he was satisfied, to which he replied he was, and
did not require a second meeting. Having report-
ed this answer to Benton, he said he was not sat-
isfied, and required that Lucas should come out
again as soon as his wound would permit him. By
the time Lucas became sufficiently well to be
about, through the exertions of some friends, the
matter had been, as was supposed, satisfactorily
adjusted to dispense with a second meeting, but
a week or ten days after the supposed adjustment
of the affair, Benton sent Lucas a challenge for
a second meeting, dated Sept. 23, 1817, " alleg-
" ing that friends of Lucas had circulated state-
" ments derogatory to him, Benton."

Lucas being absent for two or three days, re-
turned home on the evening of the 26th. The



84 HISTORICAL.

challenge was handed Mm within an hour after
his return, and accepted. On the morning of
Saturday the 27th they met on the small island
above St. Louis, and took their positions at ten
feet distance. They both fired nearly at the
saiue time. Benton's ball went through the right
arm of Lucas, penetrated his body in the region
of the heart, he fell.
Mr. Barton states thus : —

" At the last interview, he, Mr. Lucas, appeared
" equally cool and deliberate, both of them pre-
^' sented and fired, so nearly together that I could
" not distinguish two reports." He died in half
an hour, aged 25 years and 3 days.

A BKIEF SKETCH BY HIS FATHER.

Charles Lucas was born Sept. 25, 1792, near
Pittsburg, Penn'a; came with his parents to St.
Louis in 1805, then 13 years of age ; sent to Jef-
ferson College, Philadelphia, 1806, at the age of
14 years ; at college five years, coming home in
1811, aged 19 years, and read law in Col. Easton's
ofiice.

In 1812'an artillery company was formed by some
of the young men of St. Louis, which tendered
their services to the government in 1813, and
Charles Lucas was appointed captain.

He was admitted to the bar in 1814, and the same
year elected to the Legislature, and afterwards re-
ceived the appointment of U. S. Attorney for the
Territory.



BANK OF ST. LOUIS. 85



GAZETTE EDITORIAL.

1817, Sat. 27. "The infernal practice of dueling-
"has taken off this morning one of the first
" characters in our country, Charles Lucas, Esq.,
" attorney at law. His death has left a blank in
" society not easily filled up."



TEREITORIAL BANK OE ST. LOUIS, EKOM THE GAZETTE.

1813, Aug. 21. Act of the Legislature, incorporat-
ing the " Bank of St. Louis."

Auguste Chouteau, Jno. B. C. Lucas, Clem-
ent B. Penrose, Moses Austin, Bernard Pratte,
Manuel Lisa, Thomas Brady, Bartholomew Ber-
thold, Samuel Hammond, Eufus Easton, Robert
Simpson, Christian Wilt and Risdon H. Price,
appointed commissioners to open the books for
subscriptions.

Sept. 20. Monday the books were opened, but
owing to the distracted condition of the country ,
consequent on the war, the stock was not taken
under the above notice of Sept. 20, 1813, and an
application was made to the Legislature for a re-
vival of the charter.

1814, Dec. 31. ISTotice is given by Thos. F. Rid-
dick, Risdon H. Price and John Cromwell, that
the books will be re-opened for the subscription
to the stock of the said Bank of St. Louis.
Capital, 1100,000.



86 HISTOKICAL.

1816, July 13. Christian Wilt gives notice that a
sufficiency of stock having been subscribed, an
election for thirteen Directors for the Bank of
St. Louis will take place at the Court House, on
the first Monday of September.

1816, Sept. 2d, Monday. The following Directors
were elected : Samuel Hammond, 809 ; Wm.
Eector, 801; Bernard Pratte, 791; Eisdon H.
Price, 623; Moses Austin, 551; Eli B. Clemson,
550 ; Theodore Hunt, 543 ; Justus Post, 536 ;
Robert Simpson, 538; Chas. W. Hunter, 512;
Walter Wilkinson, 483; Theophilus W. Smith,
476; Elias Bates, 443.

Sam'l Hammond, subsequently, President.
l^ov. 30. " The Bank of St. Louis will open for
business on Monday, Dec. 2d inst. Robert Simp-
son, acting Cashier."*

Dec. 12. The Bank of St. Louis commenced busi-
ness this day in the rear part of the building of
Piddick & Pilcher's store. Jno. B. l!^. Smith,
Cashier.

1817, Aug. 7. The Bank of St. Louis purchased
the old stone house east side of Main, between
Elm and Myrtle, which they fixed up for their
banking house ; tearing down the old stone front
and putting up a new brick front.

Dec. 8, 1817. Annual election for Directors ; nine
of the old board re-elected ; leaving out Bernard



* Archibald Gamble was the first, and Louis Bompart the second clerks
of this bank at its openin;:, Dec, 1816.



BANK OF ST. LOUIS. §7

Pratte, Chas. W- Hunter, "Walter Wilkinson and
Theophilus W- Smith, and filling their places with
Joshua Pilcher, Samuel Pei-ry, Thomi^son Doug-
lass and Thos. Wright.

1818. Early in this year there were dissensions
among the directors and certain stockholders, re-
garding the management, or rather mismanage-
ment of the Bank.

Feb. 11. " Some parties took forcible possession of
" the banking house," which was subsequently re-
stored,. and business resumed as usual.

Feb. 19. Samuel Hammond, President, "gives
" nptice that the Bank will be re-opened on the
^' 23d inst."

In 1818 there were frequent changes and much
confusion in the Board of Directors ; in July
Wm. M. O'Hara was cashier, and Eisdon H.
Price was president in place of Hammond .

Dec. 14. Directors of the bank elected this day.
Sam'l Hammond, E. H. Price, Robert Simp-
son, Stephen F. Austin, John Nevin, Eli B.
Clemson, Rufus Easton, Sam'l Perry, James
Clemens, Jr., Frederick Dent, John Hall, Paul
Anderson and Jesse G. Lindell.

Eisdon H. Price, re-elected Pres't, and Wm.
M. O'Hara, Cashier.

1819. The Bank had suspended in March, 1818,
but no notice had been given of it, it re-opened
March 3, 1819, and paid its bills for a short time
and again closed, not paying expenses.



88 HISTORICAL.

July 24. Risdon H. Price, Pres't, notifies the stock-
holders to a meeting' to consider the expediency
of continuing business or closing its affairs —
■which last step was taken.



TEKEITORIAL BANK OF MISSOURI, FROM GAZETTE.

The Bank of St. Louis, chartered Aug. 21, ]813,
owing to the war and other causes, did not com-
mence business until Dec. 12, 1816, a delay of over
three years. In meantime some of the principal
getters-up of that bank, dissatisfied with this long
delay, had opened books for subscriptions to the
stock of another bank to be called the " Bank of
Missouri," with a capital stock -of |250,000, the
commissioners were Charles Grratiot, William Smith,
John McKnight, John P. Cabanne and Matthew
Kerr.

They were incorporated by the Legislature, Dec.
17, 1816, although in anticipation of that act, they
had organized and opened the bank on Sept. 30,
18 16, fully four months before their incorporation.
Their first officei's were —

Col. Auguste Chouteau, Pres't;

Lilburn W. Boggs, Cashier, resigned in 1819 ;

John Dales, Teller, elected Cashier, 1818 ;

Louis Bompart, Clerk.

The bank was for several years in the basement
of Col. Chouteau's residence on Main St.
In 1819. They built a Banking house at JSTo. 6,

north Main and on its completion occupied it that

Bame year.



■MILITARY ITEMS. 89

1820, May 1. The following Board of Directors
were elected : —

Thos. F. Riddick, JosepJi Philipson, Thomas
Brady, Henry Yon Phul, James Kennedy,
Michael Tesson, Thomas Hempstead, Thomas
H. Benton and Angus L. Langham.

Col. Chouteau declining to serve any longer,
Col. Thos. F. Riddick was elected President.

The other officers were Louis Bompart, Cash'r ;
Elias T. Langham, 1st Clerk; Gabriel P. Cerre,
2nd Clerk.

In 1820 the Bank was made the Depository of
the U.S. public moneys for the Land district of
Missouri.

In the summer of 1822, the Bank closed its
doors and went into liquidation.



MILITART ITEMS, FROM THE GAZETTE.

1808, Augt. A meeting of citizens of St. Louis,
held at Mr. Yosti's tavern to form a Volunteer
Company —

Benj. Wilkinson, elected Captain ; Risdon H.
Price, Lieut., and John Yoorhees, Ensign.
Oct. Gov. M. Lewis' general orders to the militia to-
muster according to law.

District of St. Louis, 3 Battalions Infantry,
and Capt. P. Chouteau's troop of horse ;

District of St. Genevieve, 2 Battalions Infantry,
and Capts. Bibbs and Whitley's troops of Light
Infantry ;



HISTOEICAL.

District of St. Charles, 2 Battalions Infantry,
Capt. Shrader's troop of horse;

District of Cape Girardeau, 2 Battalions In-
fantry, and Capts. Ellis and Bonis' troops of
horse ;

District of 'New Madrid, 2 Battalions Infantry.

1809, Feb. 9. Requisition of the Secretary of War
for 377 militia men from the Territory, her
portion of 100,000 men, ordered by the President
of the United States, to be held in readiness if
called upon, each man to provide his own arms
and ammunition.

St. Louis, St. Genevieve, New Madrid, each
one company of 77 men.

Infantry, commanded by Col. Chouteau . 232
Riflemen, " by Major Cook . . 158

Total 390

GENERAL ORBERS.

1809, April 21. " St. Charles, 10 o'clock a. m.

" The companies of Capts. Ellis and Bouis, of
" Cape Girardeau; of Capt. Otho. Shrader, of St.
"Genevieve; of Capt. Pierre Chouteau, of St.
"Louis; and Capt. Mackey Wherry, of St.
" Charles, will rendezvous at St. Louis, May 4th,
"with arms and ammunition."



MILITARY ITEMS. 91

GOVBRKOR lewis' PROCLAMATION,

1809, July, '' discharging- the militia, of the Terri-
" tory, held under his requisition of ]S'ov. 28,
' ' 1808 — to be again enrolled as before with the
" ordinary militia — and his thanks for their
" promptness in volunteering/'



1810, May 17.



a



OAPT. OWENS U. S. ARMY,



" with 120 soldiers from Winchester, Virginia,
" for Belief on taine, passed the falls of .Ohio on
" May 2nd."

1812, April 25. The six comijanies of Rangers, or-
dered to be raised by a late Act of Congress, are
nearly filled up, and are ordered to march to our
frontier.

May 16. capt. nathan boone,

was commissioned by the President of U. S. to
raise a company of Mounted Hangers, for 12
months' service.

June 18. Capt. Boone's company of Mounted
Rangers, 65 men, were mustered into service at
St. Charles.

Aug. 22nd. " St. Louis now boasts of one troop of
" horse, in active service on the frontier, one
" company of riflemen on board a galley, at the
"mouth of the Illinois, one of artillery, one of



92 HISTORICAL.

' ' infantry, and a veteran ' company of men now
" over 45 years of- age, five companies comprising-
" almost every man in the place." — Editok.

BELLEFONTAIKE .

1813. There are at present at this post, about 200
U. S. regular soldiers, and 150 more looked for —
this, with about 300 partisans shortly expected,
with the aid of our militia, would enable us to give
a warm reception to the British and Indians,

' should they return this way. — Editok.

During the three years continuance of the war
with Great Britain from 1812 to 1815, but little,
if any, progress was made in the growth of the
place, all our male population being more or less
absorbed in military matters, as we were the front-
ier town, with hostile Indians in close proximity
to us, continually committing depredations and
outrages, even to the extent of killing our settlers
within a few miles of our town. Our people were
kept constantly on the alert, so that business was
almost entirely suspended. In 1812 our popula-
tion was about 1200, at the close of the war, 1815,
it had only increased to 1500, altogether by the
settlement with us of officers and soldiers of the U.
S. army, sent out for the defense of our frontier.

1813, July 9. .JOIIK M. DUFF,

a soldier of Capt. D. Musick's company of U. S.
Hangers, died in St. Louis of a wound he re-



MILITARY ITEMS. 93

ceived in a skirmish with a party of Winnebago
Indians on the frontiers of St. Charles, near
Fort Mason. His remains were interred with
miUtarj honors in the Catholic cemetery on the
10th.

OEDEK OP THE PROCESSION.

1. Guard from the Regulars — Sergeant and ten
men.

2. Military music, with muffled drums.

3. The Catholic priest in his sacerdotal robes,
with attendants.

4. The body, carried by four soldiers of Capt.
Lucas' company, 6 pall-bearers.

5. Two privates of the deceased's company, as
mourners.

6. Capt. Lucas' company of volunteers.

7. Judges and officers of the court, then in
session



8. Members of the Council and Legislature.

9. The speaker and clerks of both houses.

10. The adjutant- general and assistant adjutant-
general of the troops.

11. The officers of the army in town.

12. The Governor of the Territory, and brigadier-
general of the troops.

13. Citizens in pairs.

BRIGADIER GENERAL HOWARD,

1813, Sept. 10. With 1400 men left Portage des
Sioux on an expedition against the Indians of Illi-
nois.



94 HISTORICAL.



1814, April 9. the president

has promoted to the rank of Brigadier Greneral,
U. S. Army, Cols. Daniel Bissell, 5th Infantry;
Edmund P. G-aines, 25th Infantry; and Winfield
Scott, 2d Artillery.

1815, March. Col. Wm. Russell, U. S. Army, was
in command at Belief ontaine.

Sept. 15. On Thursday last, 10 boats with the 8th
Regiment U. S. Infantry, 700 men, passed St.
Louis for Belief ontaine and Portage des Sioux.

1816, BRIGADIER GENERAL SMITH,

June 15. U. S. Army, with 1000 Regulars went
up the Mississippi to build a fort on Rock Island.
300 of the Rifle Regiment have sailed from Belle-
f ontaine to join him. Editor.

'Nov. 9. Two companies of the 8th Regiment U.
S. Infantry, under Capt. "Willis Poulck, sailed
from this place on Wednesday for IS'atchitoches,
Red River.

1819, June 9. the 5th regiment.

' U. S. Infantry, left Detroit to proceed to Prairie
des Chiens, to establish a Fort at the mouth of
the St. Peter's, Falls of St. Anthony.

June 28. The detachment of the 5th U. S. Infant-
ry, at Bellefontaine has dropped down to the



MILITARY ITEMS. 95

month of the Missouri river, to proceed up the
Mississippi to St. Peters, under Lieutenant-Colonel
Leavenworth.

Sep. 22. The 5th Regiment, Col. Leavenworth,
have established themselves at St. Peters.

Oct. 13. Lieut. Col. Josiah Snelling promoted to
Colonel of the 5th Infantry, to take command at
St. Peters.

1820, Jan. 5. From St. Peters we learn that the
barracks are completed, and the troops quartered
therein for the winter. They have commenced
ploughing for next year. The climate appears
mild and pleasant. Latitude 45° north.

1819, June. col. talbot chambers

with 260 men of the Rifle Regiment, left Belle-
fontaine on the 14th inst, in five barges, to pro-
ceed up the Missouri to Capt. Martin's canton-
ment.

July 21. Col. Chambers' five boats and 260 men
arrived at Franklin, Howard County, on July 2d,
with Capt. James S. Gray, Lieuts. Scott and
Keith and Doct. Martine. They left Bellefontaine
June 14th, and were eighteen days to Franklin;,
they left Franklin July 5th.

Sept. 22. The keel-boats with Col. Chambers'
troops arrived at Martin's cantonment on the 28th
August, and left the 4th Sept. inst.



■96 HISTORICAL.

1819, June 9. ool. henkt Atkinson's

6th Regiment U. S. Infantry j)assed St. Louis for
Bellefontaine on Sunday and Monday, the 6th
and 7th, in nine barges, on their way to Council
Bluffs.
■July 7. The 6th Regiment left Bellefontaine on the
4th and 5th July, in three steamboats ; the Expe-
dition, Capt. Craig; the Johnson, Capt. Colfax;
and Jefferson, Capt. Orfurt, and four barges pro-
pelled by wheels and sails.
1^0. 1, Major Ketchum; ]S'o. 2, Capt. Hamilton and
Lieut. Mansfield ; 'No. 3, Capt. Reed and Lieut.
EUison ; ISTo. 4, Capts. Boardman and Living-
stone.

In the steamers were Majors Humphreys and
Foster, — Capts. Haile, Shaler and Bliss, —
Lieuts. Bedell, Wilcox, Durand, Givens, Mc-
Ilvaine, Keller and Palmer, — Lieut. Talcott,
Engineers, — Docts. Mower and Kicholl, — Ad-
jutant Staniford, — Lieuts. Wetmore, Pay-Mas., —
and Brown, Quar. -Master.

Col. Atkinson and Capt. Smith, of the Rifles,
proceeded by land to take the boats at Franklin ;
also G-eneral Jessup, Quarter-Master General.

Oct. 27. By a gentleman from Council Bluffs we
learn that the keel boats and troops had arrived.
The steamboats were from June 22d to Aug. 29,
68 days from St. Louis to Martin's cantonment,
350 miles, average 5 miles a day. And the keel
boats from Sept. 6th to 29th, 23 days from there



YELLOWSTONE EXPEDITION. 97

to the Council Bluffs, 270 miles, about ten miles
a day.

" THE YELLOWSTONE EXPEDITION."

^'1819, April 20. The U. S. Steamer 'Western
" Engineer,' built by the U. S. expressly for the
"purpose, left Pittsburgh on Tuesday, April 20,
" 1819." —Saturday, May 1st.

The boat is thus described : —

75 feet long, 13 feet beam, draws 19 inches.
The engine and machinery below decks out of
sight, the steam is blown out through the figure-
head of the boat, which is a large serpent, the
wheels are in the stern to avoid snags.

Objects of the expedition : — To explore the
Missouri and the country to the falls, about four
thousand miles from Pittsburgh, — to fix the point
in the Rocky Mountains, where it is intersected by
the 49th degree of north latitude — take observa-
tions and establish the latitude and longitude of
prominent points, fix upon a suitable point for a
military establishment near the Yellowstone, —
investigate the geology, mineralogy, botany, and
natural history of the country, etc., etc., in a word
a scientific expedition. Under the command of
Major Stephen H. Long, Topographical Engi-
neei's, and assistants Lieuts. James Grraham and
William H. Swift, Engineers ; with Major Thomas
Biddle, Paymaster U. S. Army; Doct. Jessup,
Mineralogist; Doct. Say, Botanist; and Doct.
Baldwin, Zo-ologist. Messrs. Peale and Sey-
mour, Artists ; and Major Benjamin O'Fallon,
Indian Agent.



98 HISTORICAL.

1819, June 9. The "Western Engineer," arrived
at St. Louis this day, fifty days from Pittsburgh.

1819, June 17th, Thursday. An elegant entertain-
ment was given to the ofiicers of the Missouri
expedition, the gentlemen of the Scientific expe-
dition, and to Capts. Hewes and Nelson, of the
steamers St. Louis and Independence.

"western engineer,"

June 23, left St. Louis on her Yellowstone expedi-
tion on Monday the 21st, to be absent it is sup-
posed about two years. She arrived at Franklin,
Howard County, July 13, having left St. Charles
June 25th ; 19 days out.

She remained here 5 or 6 days and left here on
July 19, and arrived at Manuel Lisa's Trading
post, five miles below the Council Bluffs, on



Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 5 of 24)