Copyright
Frederic Louis Billon.

Annals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period online

. (page 7 of 24)
Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 7 of 24)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Dec. 10, 1810.

JACOB PHILIPSON,

to close his business in St. Louis, offers the
balance of his Stock of Groods at low prices.
Jany. 12, 1811.

ZAOHARIA MUSSi:PfA,

just from Philadelphia, with a large stock of
fresh goods, for sale in Madame Labbadie's old
store,

Jany. 21, 1811.

JAMES BAIRD, BLACKSMITH,

in Jno. B. Becquet's old shop on South Main
Street.

Feby., 1811.

MOSES SCOTT

has for sale. Porter, Castings, Tin and Glass-
ware, etc., from Pittsburgh, next above Baird's
shop.
Feb. 14, 1811.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 121

BADGLEY & STUBBLEFIELD,

Ladies' and Gentlemen's Shoe and Boot Makers.
April 9, 1811.

JOHN AUDUBOlsr & PEEDIKAKD KOZIEE, OI' STE.

GEISTEVIEVE

have this day dissolved their copartnership.

Ferd. Rozier will continne in business alone at
the old stand.

April 6, 1811.

m' KNIGHT & BKADY

have just received from Baltimore and Philadel-
phia, a large stock of Merchandise, in their
store opposite Genl. Wm. Clark.
May 22, 1811.

CHRISTIAN WILT, PROM PHILABELPHIA,

with a stock of new Goods, will continue busi-
ness in Z. Mussina's old stand, in Chas. Gratiot's
old stone store-
July 25, 1811.

SAMUEL BRIDGE

has for sale low, a kiln of Bricks, at the south
end of the village, near the banks of the
creek.

Oct. 12, 1811.

JAMES BAIRD

has removed his Blacksmith Shop to John Coon's
old house on South Third Street.
l^ov. 27, 1811.



122 BUSINESS NOTICES.

DEPESTEE, DEMTJN & CO.,

just arrived from Philadelphia and Baltimore,
with an assortment of new goods, are opening
ill their store adjoining Delaunay's boarding
house, Main Street.
Sept. 12, 1811.

MATTHEW KEKR

has just arrived with an extensive assortment of
new Merchandise, for sale at the usual low
prices.

ISTov. 16, 1811.

BOOT. J. M. EEAD,

from Baltimore, is in the north end of Mad'e
Dubreuil's'house, next to Major Penrose's.
Dec. 21, 1811.

LOOK HEKE ! ! !

Fred. Teizer, on Main Street, next door to
Dongan's Silver Smith Shop, has on hand "rt
heap of whisky ^^'' plenty of Peach Brandy,
Linsey, Country Linen, Shoes, Nails, Cotton,
Bed Cords, etc., etc., low for cash or hides.

Feed. Yeizek.

!Nr. B. No credit, as I have never learnt to
write.

Dec. 14, 1811.

JOHN CHANDLER & CO.,

Saddle, Bridle, and Harness Makers, Main Street,
St. Louis.

Jany. 11, 1812.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 123

ALL MASTERS

are desired to observe the clothing of their serv-
ants to detect a Thief; who, on the night of the
27th ult., stole from the house of A. MclS^air, a
large, blue Cloak of superfine German Cloth. If
the Thief should be a white man a reward of |20
will be given upon conviction, by

Robert Wash.
Jan. 4, 1812.

FARRAR & CHARLESS'

Apothecary Shop, adjoining the Printing Office
have on hand genuine medicines, and will receive
in the Spring an additional supply fresh from
Philadelphia.

DOCT. FARRAR

continues the practice of his profession.
Jany. 18, 1812.

MISSOURI FUR COMPANY.

Capital 150,000. 50 shares at $1,000. Silvestre
Labbadie, Wm Clark and Manuel Lisa, the old
Company hold $27,000 in goods, &c., up the Mis-
souri River. Subscriptions desired for the remain-
ing 123,000.
Feb. 1, 1812.

M. GUYOL,

Portrait and miniature painter in oil. Lessons in
architecture and landscape.
March 7, 1812.



124 BUSINESS NOTICES.

JOSEPH BOUJU, CLOCK AND WATCH MAKER,

Silver Smith and Jeweler, has just arrived in St.
Louis, at Mrs. Papin's house opposite Genl.
Clark's office. He has for sale, Cherry-bounce,
Katafia de Grenoble, Whisky, etc., etc. A Gig
and Harness and his keel boat and apparatus.
April 4, 1812.

m'NAIE, THOMPSON & CO.

have just opened in the house of Madame Robi-
doux, a fresh stock of goods from Philadelphia
and Pittsburgh. Having a good store and cellars,
they will receive consignments on Commission and
Storage.

May 1, 1812.

J. E. LAVILLE,

just from 'New Orleans, has opened a new store in
Mad'e Chouteau's house.
May 1, 1812.

MADAME PESOAY'S PEOSPEOTUS

for a Boarding and Day Academy for Young
Ladies in French and English, in Sanguinet's
house on Second Street.
May 8, 1812.

BEETHOLD & PAUL

have this day dissolved their copartnership by
mutual consent. Rene Paul will settle the books
of the late firm.
June 6, 1812.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 125

J. SEPTLIVRES AND GEO. TOMPKINS

have formed a copartnership to open a French
and English School in St. Lonis on August 7th
next.

June 6, 1812.

DOCT. BERNARD FAREAR

has opened a Drug and Medicine Store, in St.
Louis. He has for sale a variety of Spices, Paints
and Stationery.

June 27, 1812.

B. G. PARRAR AND JOS. OHARLESS

dissolved their copartnership in the drug business on
the 10th of May last, by mutual consent.

Jos. Charless will adjust the business.

July 6, 1812.

DOCT. SIMPSON

will practice Medicine and Surgery in the town and
vicinity of St. Louis. Office lately occupied by
Fergus Moorhead, in Manuel Lisa's house.
July 25, 1812.

DOCTORS FARRAR & WALKER

have entered into partnership for the practice of
Medicine, Surgery and Midwifery. They have
opened a Drug and Medicine store on Main Street,
below Major Christy's Tavern, adjoining Dangen's
Silversmith Shop.
Aug. 29, 1812.



126 BUSINESS NOTICES.

HORACE AUSTIN

has opened a Tavei'ii in the house lately occupied
by Mad'e Robidoux.

Good cellars for storage of Whisky.

Aug. 8, 1812.

PETER PRIMM

recommences his tailoring business in the small
shop next to Mad'e Lecompte's dwelling, opposite
to Doct. Simpson's drug store.
Aug. 22, 1812.

BE PE8TRE, DE MUN & CO.

close their business in St. Louis. Julius De Mun
to wind up the affairs of the late firm.
Sept. 15, 1812.

THE P08T-0EEICE

is removed to Doctor Simpson's Drug Store, Main
street, St. Louis.
Oct. 1, 1812.

JOSEPH CHARLESS

will give one bit a pound for old copper and brass,
and takes it at that price for debts due the
printer.

Sept. 12, 1812.

SMITH, VON PHUL & CO.

have dissolved partnership. Smith & Von Phul
will continue business at their former stand in St.
Louis.

Sept. 19, 1812.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 127'

MADAME PESOAY AWD MICHAEL TESSON

have dissolved the partnership existing between
them since February, 1811. Michael Tesson con-
tinues the business alone.
Nov. 6, 1812.

aEOEUE CASNER

has removed his blacksmith shop to the large shop
lately occupied by James Baird.
Nov. 5, 1812.

EDWARD HEMPSTEAD ANTD DAVID BAETO^T,



Attorneys at Law.



Nov. 27, 1812.



TOUSSAIKT BEKOIT'S

Baker Shop, north Second street.



Dec. 5, 1812.

THE COPARTNERSHIP

of John Chandler and Alex'r McNair is this day
dissolved. The business will be carried on in future
by John Chandler, who will close the accounts of
the late firm.
April 13, 1813.

BEETHOLD & CHOUTEAU

are just opening a general assortment of Dry-
Goods, Groceries, Hardware, Crockery, etc.
April 30, 1813.



128 BUSINESS NOTICES.

FAKRAR & WAUEBR'S

Apothecary Store is removed to Mrs. Chouteau's
house, opposite to Manuel Lisa's new brick house.
They have just received from Baltimore a fresh sup-
ply of medicines.
May 1, 1813.

LOCKH art's free EEREY,

at St. Louis.
May 1, 1813.

MRS. JANE RICHARDS

will open her new school in the house of Manuel
Lisa on Second street, formerly occupied by Doct.
Simpson.
May 7, 1813.

DOCT. SIMPSON

has removed his drug store to the former stand of
Farrar & Walker.
Aug. 28, 1813.

THE BANK OE ST. LOUIS

opened her books for subscriptions to stock on
Monday, September 20th, 1813.

JAMES KENNERLT AND JOHN O' FALLON

have for sale Pickled Pork, Beef, and Flour.
Oct. 18, 1813.

JOHN C. SULLIVAN,

Collector of U. S. Revenue for Missouri. '
Jan. 1, 1814.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 129

GEORGE TOMPKINS

-declines keeping school any longer ; he will sell
his furniture, book-case, and a ten-plate stove.
June 10, 1814.

GEO. M. KEEMEE,

just from Philadelphia, with a large stock of
Boots and Shoes, at Austin's Tavern.
July 16, 1814.

PKICE & SHULL

have purchased the tools, etc., of Burrows & Co.,
and will carry on the Hatters' business at the
same stand.
July 16, 1814.

D. Stewart's
Nail Factory, Main street, adjoining the store of
Theo. Hunt.
Sept. 14, 1814.

BERNARD PRATTE

lias just returned from Philadelphia and Baltimore
with an extensive assortment of Merchandise, for
sale at low prices.
May 14, 1814.

BERTHOLD & CHOUTEAU

have just brought on from Philadelphia and Balti-
more a general assortment of Groceries, Dry
Goods, Queensware, etc., etc., which they will
«ell low at their old stand on Main street.
April 30, 1814.



130 BUSINESS NOTICES.



JAMES BARLOW, BLACKSMITH,

at Beard's large shop on Third street.



I^ov. 12, 1814.



PETER LINDELL & CO.



desh'e to close their business here by January 1,
and request all who have transactions with them,
to have settled up by that date.
I^ov. 23, 1814.

M'KlSriGHT & BEADY

give notice that they have sold out their stock ot'
goods, and desire to settle their accounts, as soon
as possible.
Dec. 28, 1814.

DAVID BARTOK

has quit the practice of law. Matthias McGirk
will attend to the professional business I have
undertaken.
Feb. 3, 1815.

THE COPAETIsnEESHIP

of Peter Lindell with Thos. and John Cromwell
is this day dissolved. Peter Lindell will settle
the business of said firm.
March 1, 1815.

MICHAEL TESSON

has removed his store across the street to Primm's
house, next door below Austin's Tavern.
March 18, 1815.



BUSINESS KOTICES. 131

FREDERICK A. BUTI^R

has just opened a new store of American manu-
factured goods, next door to Doct. Simpson's,
formerly the Post-office.
April 26, 1815.

J. D. RUSSELL'S

Chair Factory, on Main street, between Matthew
Kerr's store and the Post-office.
May 31, 1815.

THEODORE HTINT'S

Tan Yard, in the Town of St. Louis. The highest
price paid for Raw Hides.
May 28, 1815.

JAMES SAWYER

has opened a Seminary on the Lancasterian System,
near Major Christy's.
July 21, 1815.

WM. L. m'QUIE

has a hand for sale, at Mr. Chenie's, opposite Genl.
Pratte's store; three or four thousand gallons of
Whisky of the best quality, and eight hundred gal-
lons of High Wines.
Aug. 11, 1815.

HENRT S. UEYER,

Attorney at Law, office in Mr. Brazeau's dwelling
on Second street, opposite Mrs. Hempstead's.
Sept. 1, 1815.



132 BUSINESS NOTICES.

DOCT. PKYOK QUAKLES

will practice Medicine and Surgery; his of&ce is
opposite Mr. Patrick Lee's, Main street.
Sept. 2, 1815.

I'OUKD,

sometime ago in St. Louis, a watch; the owner
is requested to prove property, pay charges, and
receive her. Sampson Fiire.

Sept. 17, 1815.

BOOTS. PAKKAE & WALKER

have removed to their new medicine shop. Main
street, opposite Eene Paul's new stone building.
Sept. 16, 1815.

DOCTS. EOb't SIMPSON" AND PETOK QITAELES

have formed a connection in the Drug and Medicine
husiness, at the old stand of Doct. Simpson.
Oct. 1, 1815.

MAJOR LORENZO AUSTIN,

at Bellefontaine, advertises deserters from that Post.
Oct. 15, 1815.

CHRISTIAN smith's

new Bakeshop, opposite Mr. Hempstead's office, on
3rd Cross Street South.
]S'ov. 11, 1815.

CENSUS.

Town of St. Louis, 2,000; County, 5,395. Total,
7,395.

Dec. 2, 1815.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 133

AUGUSTUS CHOUTEAU

notifies the public, that he will not permit his
land, adjoining the Court House in the Town of
St. Louis, to be made use of as a place of burial.
Oct. 12, 1815.

DOOT. EOBT. SIMPSON

is hard run for cash to pay his debts, and will
sell a number of notes and accounts on reasonable
terms, particularly to those interested.

After Jan. 1, they will be offered at auction.
. Dec. 1, 1815..

CHAS. W. HinSTTEK & OO.'S

'Neyv Store, just opened, from Philadelphia, oppo-
site Matthew Kerr's Store.



Dec. 22, 1815.



JAMES SAWYER



thanks his patrons for their support of his Sem^
nary, and will endeavor to extend its usefulness.
Dec. 22, 1815.

JOS. CHAJRLESS,

at the instance of a number of friends in Ken-
tucky and Ohio, intending to remove to Missouri
and Illinois Territories, has opened Books, for
the Registry and Sale of Lands, Town lots and
Slaves. Every exertion will be made to render
the institution worthy of patronage.
Dec. 28, 1815.



134 BUSINESS NOTICES.

THOMAS PEEBLES

has opened a house of entertainment, sign of the
Union Hall, formerly known as the Missouri
Hotel.

Jany. 27, 1816.

HOLMES & ELLIOTT

have just received from Philadelphia a Stock of
Presh Merchandise, in the stone house on Main
Street, opposite Matthew Kerr's store.
Feby. 14, 1816.

GEO. w. Ferguson's
Pottery, a large assortment of vessels of every
description on hand.
April 19, 1816.

JOHN DOWLING

has commenced the Copper and Tin business in
the rear of Robidou's Store, near Matthew
Kerr's.

Jany. 2, 1816.

MADAME PESCAY'S

fresh Stock of Goods, in her white house oppo-
site the Union Tavern.
April 27, 1816.

.LILBUEN W. B0GG8 & TH08. HANLX's

new store adjoining the residence of Grov. Clark
and opposite McKnight & Brady, large Stock of
Fresh Goods.
May 1, 1816.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 135

A. m'NAIR & JAS. KBinSTEELT

have dissolved theii^ copartnership by mutual
consent. The business will be settled by Alex.
Mc!N"air.

May 3, 1816.

SMITH & SPICEE

have taten the store, recently occupied by McKair
& Kennerly, and are now opening a general assort-
ment of Merchandise.
May 3, 1816.

THEODORE HUNT

has just received, and offers for sale at his store,
two doors below McKnight & Brady's, a general
assortment of Merchandise.
May 1, 1816.

JOSEPH PHIIilPSON'S

St. Louis Brewery is ready to sell Beer, at $11 per
barrel or $6 per half barrel. One Dollar deduction
if the barrel is returned. Retailed at 12 1-2 cents
per quart at the stores of Silvestre Labbadie and
Michael Tesson.
May 25, 1816.

EVAEIST MAUKY,

from !N"a8hville, Tennessee, opened a coffee-house
in the old Sanguinet Mansion, on Second
Street.

April, 1816.



136 BUSINESS NOTICES.

TIMOTHY ITiINT AND JAS. SAWYEE

have associated, and will continue their school on
the Lancasterian System.
May 30, 1816.

JAMES SAWYER,

gives notice that having purchased lot !N^o. 6
of Col. Chouteau's addition, on which there are
some graves, and being about to build on the
same, those who may have friends or relatives
buried there are at liberty to remove them if
they think fit. And suggests further that Cham-
bers, Christy & Co., in their new addition
of Korth Saint Louis, have set aside a suitable
lot for a Church and Cemetery to be free to all
den omin ations .
May 31, 1816.

DAVID m'NAIR,

having obtained the Ferry privilege across the
Missouri River at St. Charles, will always be ready
to convey passengers, produce, or merchandise, etc.,
at all hours with safety and despatch.
April 9, 1816.

THOMAS HAJSTLY

has just opened, in the south store of McKnight &
Brady's new double brick house on Main street, a
choice assortment of Merchandise.
June 7, 1816.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 13T

TIMOTHY KIBBY, TROM ST. CHARLES,

opened the upper part of this new building as the
Washington Hall.

PETER, JOHIf AND JESSE G. LINDELL

have just received at their store on Main Street,
next above Henry Yon Phul & Co., a general
assortment of Merchandise.
June 8, 1816.

JOHN KEESAOKER

has just opened a Barber's Shop on Main Street,
near Mr. Paul's stone house, and pledges himself
to give satisfaction in his line.
June 5, 1816.

E. MAURY,

next to Capt. Price's Store, near the Indian Office,,
has just opened a stock of 'New Merchandise.
June 14, 1816.

THOS. E. RIDDICK, AUCTIONEER.

June 18, 1816.

H. C. DAVIS

has opened a Tavern, sign of the (Srreeu Tree, on
Second Street.
July 26, 1816.

JAMES CLEMENS, JR., & CO.,

nearly opposite the P. O., large stock of 'New
Goods.
July 20, 1816.



138 BUSINESS NOTICES.

JAMES CLEMENS, JR., & CO.

have removed to the house of Mr. William Smith,
and have lately received additions to their stock of
Merchandise.
Sept. 2, 1816.

DOCT. ED. S. GANTT

offers his professional services to the citizens of
St. Louis and vicinity, at the house lately occupied'
by Mad'e Lebeau, South Main St.
Nov. 1, 1816.

RENE PAUL & CO.

are now opening in his stone house, a large assort-
ment of Merchandise, recently purchased in Phil-
adelphia and Baltimore,
l^ov. 2, 1816.

^MITH & SPICE R

have removed to next door to Davis' Green Tree
Hotel, 2nd Street.
Oct. 26, 1816.

JAMES SAV^^YER

will undertake the tuition of a few Scholars, in the
Arts and Sciences, at his residence.
]^ov. 30, 1816.

RIDDICK & PILCHER,

Auctioneers, South Main, a new frame warehouse
in rear for storage.
l^OY. 30, 1816.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 139

JNO. JACOB y's

Saddle and Harness shop, in Clark's stone row,
opposite Hunt's Store.
Dec. 14, 1816.

JAMES KESnSTEBLY'S STORE,

in Clark's new brick, a large addition to his stock.
Dec. 21, 1816.

JOHN B. HBRPI2Sr & SON,

l^ew Store, from Philadelphia, in Patrick Lee's
former stand. South Main Street.
Dec. 28, 1816.

STEPHEN K. WIGGINS'

new Store, with a large Stock of Fresh Goods,
just from New York, next door to Matthew
Kerr.
Jany. 2, 1817.

SIMPSON & QUAKLES

have removed their Drugs and Medicines to the
corner store lately occupied by Eiddick & Pil-
cher.

Jany. 4, 1817.

PATRICK M. DILLON

has just opened a fresh Stock of Dry Goods,
Groceries, "Wines, etc., in the house of Peter Chou-
teau, Sr., JS'orth Main Street.
Jany. 11, 1817.



140 BUSINESS NOTICES.

JOHN little's store,

two doors below the. Indian Office, a general assort-
ment of Merchandise.
Feb. 6, 1817.

p. M. DILLON

has removed his Store, to that lately occupied by
Theo. Hunt, directly opposite Grenl. Clark's Indian
Office.

April 2, 1817.

ALBX'r jST ash's FERRT at ST. LOUIS.

He has just put on a large Flat and two Keel-
boats, landing on this side just above the sand
bar.

May 9, 1817.

PORTER, GLASGOW & NIVEN'S

new Store, with all I^ew Goods, in the place
recently occupied by Theo. Hunt, Papin's house,
two doors below " Washington Hall."
May 10, 1817.

MOSES SCOTT

has removed his store to next below Porter,.
Glasgow & Niven, opposite Clark's Indian
Office.

May 9, 1817.

ROBERT S. LETT

has opened his Academy on Main Street, next door
to Mr. Wilt's Store.
May 27, 1817.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 141

REV. SALMON GIDDrSTGS,



^?



having procured a convenient house, vv^ill open
his Academy on Jviiie 4th, his prices of tuition
will be from $4 to $6 per quarter.
May 29, 1817.

KENE PAUL & CO.

have this day dissolved partnership, Rene Paul
will continue the business alone at his former
stand.

June 10, 1817.

MICHAEL TESSOjST AND JULES PESCAY,

successors to Patrick Lee, in the Auction and



Commission Business.
June 13, 1817.



Bakers and Grocers, South Main Street.
June 20, 1817.

CHAS. E. JEASnSTERET,

Clock and Watchmaker from Europe, has opened
his shop in Major Chouteau's house^ ]S"orth Main.
July 10, 1817.

REUBEN NEAL,

Copper and Tin Smith, in house lately occupied
by Joseph Brazeau, on Second, opposite Edward
Hempstead.
July 10, 1817.



142 BUSINESS NOTICES.

DOCT. GEO. P. TODSEN

offers his services in the practice of Medicine,
Surgery, etc., in Mr. Papin's house, opposite Mr.
Landreville's stone house.
July 11, 1817.

CHAS. W. HTINTER'S

new Store, from Philadelphia, adjoining Mr. Mat-
thew Kerr's.
July 12, 1817.

SANGUrtsTET & BRIGHT

have just received and opened, a large and gen-
eral assortment of Merchandise.
Jnly 26, 1817.

A. MEDDOOK & DUTAL'S

new Store in Dangen's house, lately occupied by
Moses Scott. A general assortment of Fresh
Goods.

July 22, 1817.

JAMES H. PECK, ATT'y AT LAW,

from Tennessee, will practice in the Several Courts.
Aug. 15, 1817.

M. DETAIifDEBARATZ,

with fresh goods, just from Philadelphia, has
opened them at Mrs. Pescay's.
Aug. 2, 1817.

DOLAN & m' DANIEL, TAILORS,

opposite Col. Paul's, Main Street.
July 7, 1817. ■



BUSINESS NOTICES. 143

CHA8. W. HUNTER

has removed to the new Stone house, nearly oppo-
site to Mr. Kerr's Store.
Aug. 20, 1817.

ISRAEL B. GRANT,

Watch and Clock Maker, has opened his shop, next
door below Mr. Wilt's Store on Main Street, where
he will carry on the business in all its various
branches.
Aug. 30, 1817.

MR. E. bowling's

Boarding House, North Main Street, next door
above Maj. Peter Chouteau's. A large and con-
venient house, good air and water.
Sept. 13, 1817.

M. DETANDEBARATZ

has removed to the store next below Kerr & Bell's,.
where C. W. Hunter was.
Oct. 8, 1817.

CHAS. WAHRENDORFE

has just opened, at the store of Perkins & Drips,
opposite the Post Office, an Assortment of German
Goods, imported this Spring by himself.
Oct. 16, 1817.

BERTHOLD & CHOUTEAU'S

copartnership expired, and was succeeded by the
new firm of A. P. Chouteau, Demun «fc J. B.
Sarpy.

Oct. 18, 1817.



144 BUSINESS NOTICES.

M. DUKOCHER'S

Dancing School, at the house of Mr. Sanguinet,
Main Street.
Oct. 22, 1817.

EVAEIST MAUEY'S

Planters Hotel, in the old Gonde building, on
Second Street, just opposite Major Douglass'
Office.

Kov. 7, 1817.

THOMAS ESTB8,

at the store lately occupied by Robert Collet, at the
lower end of Main Street, is authorized to sell
wholesale or retail, a Stock of about $100,000 worth
of Assorted Merchandise,
l^ov. 28, 1817.

EIOHABDS & QTJARLES'

Tobacco Manufactory, in .the Cross Street, nearly
opposite the P. O.
E'ov. 29, 1817.

GABRIEL & REKE PAUL'S

large Stock of Fresh Groods, just opened in 'Rene
Paul's Stone Store, on Main Street, a complete As-
sortment of Merchandise.
Dec. 7, 1817.

DAVID BARTON^

has resigned the Circuit Judgeship, and resumed
the practice of law.
Dec. 13, 1817.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 146

BERISTARD PBATTE

has removed to his new brick house, between the
stores of J. Clemens & Smith, Main Street.
Dec. 10, 1817.

THOMAS m'GUIKE & CO.

have opened their store, in the South one of
M'Knight & Brady's double brick building, just
opposite Gov. Clark's, lately Moses Scott & Co.
Dec. 20, 1817.

STEPHEIf B. WIGGINS'

Broker and Land Office, and St. Louis Exchange,
on Main Street, formerly Peeble's Tavern and
Auction House in rear on River bank.*
Dec. 20, 1817.

KBVD. SALMON" GIDDINGS

will open a school for boys and girls on Monday,
the 5th, at his new house on the Hill.
Jany. 3, 1818.

JAMES mWIN,

has some new furniture for sale.
Jany. 3, 1818.

A. C. VAISrHIKTUM,

from Amsterdam, will give lessons on Piano and
Clarionet ; refers to K. Revd. Bishop Dubourg.
Jany. 23, 1818.

* The Gazette (vol. fourth) for 1818, 19 aod 20 is missing. I take
1818 from January 1 to October 7, from my written memoranda, and
beginning with October 7, 1818, from my printed Gazette of 1818-19.

10



146 BUSINESS NOTICES.



JAMES BRAUD's



new Stock from Philadelphia, in the house for-
merly Sergeant Hall's Printing Office.
Jany. 23, 1818.

THOMAS ESTES

removed to the house formerly Peeble's Tavern, and
since then Stephen E. Wiggin's Store.
Jany. 30, 1818.

L. W. BOGGS AND THOMAS HA^STLT

dissolved partnership. Boggs purchased Hanly'e
interest.

Feb. 13, 1818.

J. H. BOYEE,

Tailor from Europe, in P. Chouteau's house.
March 6, 1818.

EENSHAW & HOFFMAN,

just from Baltimore, with all new Goods, at Store
formerly Collett & Daly.
March 12, 1818.

GEO. HAMMOND,

fresh groceries from ISTew Orleans.
April 10, 1818.

ISAAC ALLYN'S

Chair Factory, on Second, next door to Shope's.
April 17, 1818.



BUSINESS NOTICES. 147

JOHN BOBB AKD SAML. CABMAIT,

Bricklayers, etc.
April 17, 1818.

DOCT. AETHUE NELSON'S

professional card.
April 24, 1818.

PAUL & WM. AJSTDEESON,

Commission Merchants, on Front, near the north-
east half -moon.
April 24, 1818.

N. J. MACLOT & CO.,

!N'ew Goods from Philadelphia, opposite the Indian
Office.
May 1, 1818.

ROBERT BAILEY & JOS. JATSTES,

Builders.
May 4, 1818.

JOHSr MULLANPHY

appointed Julius Demun to transact his business in
his absence.
May 8, 1818.

p. M. dillok's

new Stock in the Store, lately Jos. Wiggin, oppo-
site Bank St. Louis.
May 15, 1818.

KIMBALL & "ward's

Eeading Eoom and Punch House. Corner Second
and Main Cross Street.
May 15, 1818.



148 BUSINESS NOTICES.

THOMPSON P. WILLIAMS & CO.,

in store late Perkins & Drips.
June 12, 1818.

t

DOCT. A. NELSON

has purchased the Drug business of Simpson &
Quarles.
June 19, 1818.

ANTOINE DANGBN

has established a Ferry to Oahokia, below [Judge



Online LibraryFrederic Louis BillonAnnals of St. Louis in its territorial days, from 1804 to 1821; being a continuation of the author's previous work, the Annals of the French and Spanish period → online text (page 7 of 24)