Frederick A.] [Olsson.

Souvenir guide book of Harvard college and its historical vicinity . . online

. (page 1 of 2)
Online LibraryFrederick A.] [OlssonSouvenir guide book of Harvard college and its historical vicinity . . → online text (page 1 of 2)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Dfass
Book



COPYRIGHT DEPOSIT



Probably the greatest pleasure to the tourist comes when
the journey is over and he can look back over the whole
trip in the quiet of his own home. There is nothing that will
better assist him in this and furnish more pleasure than a
few sensible

Souvenirs

of each place of interest, bought with an eye to the useful as
well as ornamental. Such souvenirs and in great variety
may be seen at the Art Store of

J. R OLSSON & CO.,

whose store is easy of access, being right in
Harvard Square.

Here may be found attractive and sensible souvenirs
from five cents up.

They are also dealers in

General Art Goods,

and make a specialty of

Plastic Reproductions of
Sculpture

Both antique and modern. Prices and information concern-
ing anything in their line, whether Pictures or Statuary will
be cheerfully furnished.

Address communications to

J. F. OLSSON & CO.,

Harvard Square, Cambridge, Mass.




!



Souvenir Guidp: Book



HARVARD COLLEGE



^/



Historical Vicinity.



ILLUSTRATED.




Copyright 1895. ^ ^^^Z -^^^

F. A. OLSSON, Publisher, ^

Hiirvurd Sq., Cambridge, ]\I;iss.



preface*

The publisher thinks it necessary to prefix a few words of
apology and explanation. He has not attempted to give in
this short guide book an exhaustive desciiption of everything
to be seen ; for this would neither be possible (outside of a
large volume) nor practical. But he has attempted to point
out the things which he thinks the most interesting to the
ordinary visitor, whose time is generally limited, and he has
for this reason avoided taking the visitor to such places as the
Observatory and Botanic Gardens (See Appendix) which
present nothing different from what may be seen in any first
class observatory or botanical gardens.

He does not consider the book perfect, by any means ; but
hopes in future editions to make such changes and additions
that he may finally achieve a comprehensive, yet practical
guide book of Harvard, which will not only help the tourist
while there, but be of sufficient merit to be preserved as a
souvenir.







1lntro&uctori? Shctcb*



Cambridge or New Tovvne as it was first called, was settled
in 1 63 1. Its history is chiefly interesting in connection with
Harvard, which was founded in 1636, when the state legisla-
ture granted the then large sum of ^^400 to found a school.
The location of this school was not settled however, until 1637
when New Towne was taken as its site and the name New
Towne soon after changed to Cambridge in recognition of the
English University where many of the colonists had graduated.

In 1638, John Harvard, a young minister, died at Charles-
town, and left to the college his entire library of about 300
volumes and about $4000. In his honor the college was
named Harvard.

The first master of the school was one Nathaniel Eaton, who
soon showed himself so unfitted for the charge that he was re-
moved and charge given, in 1640, to the Rev. Henry Dunster
who was Harvard's first President.

In 1642, the general management of the college was put in
the hands of a Board of Overseers and in 1650, the Legisla-
ture granted the college a charter, creating a corporate body,
who had direct supervision of the college affairs. They were
known as the President and Fellows of Harvard College, and



4 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

consisted of a President, five Fellows, and a Treasurer. Since
then the Legislature has passed many acts concerning the
government of the college ; but to-day its government is prac-
tically the same as in 1650, and consists of the Corporation
called " The President and Fellows of Harvard College " and
the Board of 32 Overseers. The President and Fellows fill
the vacancies in the corporation ; but the Overseers are elected
by the Alumni of the University. The University has shown a
steady growth since its foundation, and at present (1895)
there are 337 officers of instruction and 3290 students in all'
departments of the University.

How to Reach Harvard.

Take any Cambridge car marked Harvard Square. Such
cars may be taken from Park, Bowdoin and Scollay Squares, or
from the Union Station and on Tremont and Boylston Sts.
Arrived at the Square we leave the car and walking back to-
wards Boston about a hundred feet, we come to an old wooden
house on the edge of the college grounds. This is the

Wadsworth House,

built in 1726 with money furnished by the state. (See
picture.) It was built for " the Reverend the President of
Harvard College," and was named after President Wadsworth^
its first occupant. Here the college presidents lived until
1849, ^nd here too Washington stopped for a few days before
he made his headquarters at the Craigie House, better known
as Longfellow's house.

Returning towards the Square, and keeping on the college-
side we come to



o



c

xn




HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. 5

Dane Hall,

a plain brick building erected in 1832 for a Law School, the
gift of Hon. Nathan Dane and used for such until 1883.
At present it is used as a recitation hall and for the store of
the Harvard Co-operative Society.

Continuing in the same direction we pass next,

Matthews Hall,

a large brick dormitory somewhat in from the street, and of
which we get a rear view. It was built in 1872 at a cost of
about $120,000, the gift of Nathan Matthews of Boston.
Crossing the street diagonally, we come to the

First Parish Church,

a wooden church almost in the Square. This church was
built about 1833 by the College in exchange for its old site
and adjoining land, which is now a part of the college yard.
The former site of th-e church was about where Dane Hall now
is. From 1834 to 1872 the College held its commencement
exercises in this church, and it is said that Ralph Waldo Emer-
son delivered his first poem within its walls.
Beside the church is

The " Old Towne Burying Ground"

in which are buried seven of Harvard's Presidents, Dunster,
Chauncey, Leverett, Wadsworth, Holyoke, Willard and Web-
ber ; Thomas Shepard, the first minister, Stephen Day and
Simuel Green, the first printers, and Andrew Belcher, who first
had the right to keep an inn in Cambridge.
West of the burying ground is



6 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

Christ Church,

built about 1760. In 1775 the Connecticut troops were
quartered here, and made buUets for themselves by melting the
organ pipes. Washington is said to have attended service here
while at Cambridge. Its chime of bells was the gift of
Harvard graduates in i860, when the church was 100 years
old.

Returning to the front of the First Church, we see directly
opposite across the street

The Harvard Gate.

Although there are now two gates, this is still referred to as
The Gate. (See fronticepiece.) And well it may be con-
sidered as the principal one for it stands between the two
oldest of Harvard buildings : Massachusetts Hall on the right
(as we enter) and Harvard Hall on the left. The gate was
built in 1890, the gift of Samuel Johnston of Chicago, and
although it has had quite a little adverse criticism, it is in
thorough harmony with its surroundings, the first, or w^hich
should be the first principle of architecture. Two very fine
pictures of this gate have been published; one an etching, the
other a large photogravure. Both may be seen at the Art
Store of J. F. Olsson & Co., Harvard Square.

As we enter the College Yard we pass on our right

Massachusetts Hall,

the oldest of Harvard's buildings. Built in 1720, it was used
as a dormitory until 1870, when it was altered for use as a
recitation hall, and its three stories and a half became two.



HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. 7

On the west end of this building (that toward the street) was
formerly the College clock, whose location is now shown by a
round wooden piece on the wall.

Opposite Massachusetts Hall and on the north side, or left
hand as we enter, is

Harvard Hall.

The present building was built in 1765 and replaced the old
hall which was destroyed by fire in 1764. An immense
amount of lead was used on its roof, and this was turned to
very good account shortly after when it was converted into
bullets which helped gain the independence of the United
States.

In Harvard Hall was located in early days, the " buttery,"
the library and lecture rooms, and Commencement dinner was
held here. The bell on the roof still tolls the rising hour,
time of chapel service, and the end and beginning of recita-
tions. Time and time again have mischievous students
attempted to silence it by padding or even stealing its tongue,
but the ringer whose wits were kept keen by anticipation of
such tricks, has generally been up to the emergency, and the
bell rung as usual.

Passing on into the yard or quadrangle and turning to our
left, we pass (going north) a plain brick structure back of and
adjoining Harvard Hall. This is

Hollis Hall,

a dormitory built in 1763 with money supplied by the state,
and named for Thomas Hollis of London, one of Harvard's
early benefactors. Here has roomed Charles Sumner, Wen-



8 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

dell Phillips, Ralph Waldo Emerson, W. H. Prescott, and
Edward Everett.

Passing Hollis and turning to the left brings us to a little
one story brick building,

Holden Chapel,

the first chapel of Harvard. It was built in 1744, the gift of
Mrs. Samuel Holden, who gave in 1741, $2000 for this pur-
pose. Holden's family gave in all over ^40,000 to Harvard.
At the left of the chapel is the

Class Day Tree,

easily distinguished by the odds and ends of strings which
mark where the flowers and wreaths have been fastened for
which the Seniors struggle ou Class Day.

Retracing our steps to the Yard, and turning to the left, we
pass

Stoughton Hall,

a dormitory similar to Hollis. It was built in 1805, mostly
with money raised in a lottery. It was named after the old
Stoughton Hall which was built in 1700 by Lieutenant Gover-
nor Stoughton and afterwards removed. Here has roomed
Charles Sumner, Edward Everett, Edward Everett Hale, Oliver
Wendell Holmes, and Caleb Cushing.

Proceeding on our way around the yard we pass next
another plain brick buiLling,

Holworthy Hall,
built in 181 2, and named after Sir Matthew Holworthy of Eng-



HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. 9

land, who had left the College about ^5000, in 1678. The

Hall was built with the proceeds of a lottery sanctioned by

act of legislature.

As we come to the end of Holworthy, looking to the left

we see

The New Gate,

built in 1 89 1, the gift of G. von L. Meyer of Boston, a Har-
vard graduate.

The next building in the quadrangle at right angles to Hol-
worthy is

Thayer Hall,

a dormitory built in 1870, the gift of Nathaniel Thayer of
Boston in memory of his father. Rev. Nathaniel Thayer, and
his brother, John Eliot Thayer. This is an exceptionally un-
pretentious building, but is roomy and convenient.
The white stone building adjoining is

University Hall,

built in 1 815, at a cost of $65,000. In this building were
formerly the chapel and common dining room, which were
given up in 1867 and 1842 respectively. Commencement
exercises were also at one time held here. At present the
building is used for recitation rooms and the offices of the
President and Secretary.
South of University Hall is

Weld Hall,

one of the finest of the dormitories belonging to the College.



10 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

It was built in 1872, the gift of William F. Weld of Boston, in
memory of his brother, Stephen Minot Weld.

Next to Weld Hall at the south end of the Yard is

Gray's Hall,

built by the corporation in 1863 as an investment. It was
named after the Gray family, three benefactors of the College.
Passing between Gray's and Weld we come to

Boylston Hall,

a granite building erected in 1857, with money left by Ward
Nicholas Boylston. It is used for chemical laboratories and
lecture rooms. As tablets on its rear wall state, Thomas
Hooker, Thomas Shepard and the Wiggles worths, formerly
lived on the site which the hall occupies.
A few steps east and facing it is

Gore Hall,

the College Hbrary, built in 1840 with money given by Hon.
Christopher Gore. (See picture.) It is built of Quincy
granite, fire-proof, of Gothic architecture, and patterned after
King's College Chapel, Cambridge, England. Over the
entrance is a gilt cross brought from Louisburg in 1 745 by
Massachusetts soldiers. The library is open from 9 until 5,
and its immense collection of books may be consulted by all
persons, whether connected with the University or not. There
are minor or departmental libraries, and altogether the Uni-
versity has about 450,000 bound volumes and almost as many
pamphlets and maps. These as distributed are



©

&3







HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. II

Gore Hall, .... 323,000

Lawrence Scientific School, . 3,900

Bussey Institute, . . . 3>5oo

Observatory Library, . . 7,700

Herbarium Library, . . . 6,650

Law School, . . . 34,000

Divinity School, . . . 26,000

Medical School, . . . 2,050

Museum of Comparative Zoology, . 24,200

Peabody Museum, . . 1,360

Arnold Arboretum, . . , . 5, 500
Seven laboratory and 14 class room libraries, 10,520



448,380
In the art room (reached by a flight of iron stairs from the
delivery room) there is quite a little of interest to the visitor,
such as original manuscripts, old autographs, a collection of
coins, a death mask of Oliver Cromwell, and many other anti-
quities.

Back of Gore Hall, and northeast of it is

Sever Hall.

a brick building erected in 1880, a gift of Mrs. A. E. P. Sever,
for whom it is named. It contains recitation and lecture
rooms, and is by far the finest building the college has for
this purpose.

To the west and in front of Sever is

Appleton Chapel,

a sandstone building built in 1858. Its total cost has been
about ^68,000, $50,000 of which was given by the executors



12 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

of Samuel Appleton, who left $200,000 for charitable, scientific
and literary purposes, and for whom it was named.
On the north side of Appleton is the

William Hayes Fogg Art Museum,

but just completed (1895). It is the gift of Mrs. Elizabeth
Fogg, who gave ^220,000 for this purpose. It has been
harshly criticized from an architectural standpoint, and indeed
is not in very good harmony with its surroundings.
Leaving the Yard and crossing the street brings us to

Memorial Hall,

erected in 1874-76, by the graduates of the University. (See
picture.) It is by far Harvard's most beautiful building, and
contains the memorial transept, the dining hall, and Sanders
Theatre, named in honor of Charles Sanders who gave over
$60,000 towards the building. The total length is about 300
feet and the tower is about 200 feet high.
At its west end is the

Statue of John Harvard,

given by Samuel J. Bridge, and erected in 1884. (See pic-
ture.) It was designed by D. C. French, and is purely an
ideal statue as there is no known likeness of John Haivard in
existence. It has on its sides the Harvard seal, and that of
Emanuel College, Cambridge, England, John Harvard's alma
mater.

Entering Memorial Hall by the southern entrance (that
facing the Art Museum) we are imm-ediately in the transept.



HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. I3

in which are the marble tablets bearhig the names of students
and graduates who died in their country's service. On one
large tablet is inscribed :

THIS HALL

Commemorates the Patriotism

OF THE Graduates and Students of this University

Who Served in the Army and Navy of the

United States

During the War for the Preservation of the Union,

and Upon These Tablets

ARE Inscribed the Names of Those Among Them

Who Died in that Service.

On the left of the transept as we enter is the dining hall,
capable of seating over 700. During term time visitors may
see the hall during meal time from the balcony. In the hall
are many old portraits, a list of which is given in the Appen-
dix. The entrance to Sanders Theatre is on the right. This
seats 1300 people, and is vised for the University exercises on
Class Day and Commencement, and also for public lectures
and concerts. Over the stage in latin is the following trans-
lated inscription: — " Here in the wilderness did English
exiles in the year after the birth of Christ, the sixteen hundred
and thirty-sixth, and the sixth after the foundation of their
Colony, believing that wisdom should first of all things be
cuhivated, by public enactment found a school, and dedicated
it to Christ and the Church. Increased by the munificence
of John Harvard, again and again assisted by the friends of
good learning not only here but abroad, and finally entrusttd



14 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

to the care of its own children, brought safely through from
small beginnings to larger estate by the care and judgment
and foresight of Presidents, Fellows, Overseers and Faculty,
all liberal arts and public and private virtues it has cultivated,
it cultivates still.

" But they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the
firmament ; and they that turn many to righteousness, as the
stars forever and ever."

On the right facing the stage is a statue of President Quincy
by Story.

Leaving the hall by the north entrance (we entered at the
south) and turning to the right we pass up Kirkland street to
Divinity Avenue. Going along Divinity Ave. we pass first on
the left

The Peabody Museum of Archaeology and
Ethnology,

which was built in 1877, the gift of George Peabody of Lon-
don. The purpose of the Museum is the collection of relics of
American archaeology and ethnology, although there are in
the Museum some collections from China, Japan and the Pa-
cific Islands. The American collections are of course the
most complete and interesting, and contain specimens from
North and South America. The Museum is open from 9 to
5, week days.

Directly opposite Peabody on the other side of the avenue
is

Divinity Hall,

a plain brick building, built in 1826 by the Society for the



I



HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. 15

Promotion of Theological Education. It contains the chapel
and lecture rooms of the Theological department and 37 stu-
dent rooms.

Beside the hall is the

Divinity School Library,

a small and rather pretty building which contains book stacks
and reading room.

Across the street on the same side as Peabody is the

Museum of Comparative Zoology,

built in i860, and enlarged in 187 1 and 1880 with money
famished by the state and by private subscription. It owes its
being chiefly to the untiring efforts of Prof. Louis Agassiz, the
great naturalist, who interested legislation in its behalf. It
contains one of the most valuable and complete zoological col-
lections in existence. The building also contains a great num-
ber of lecture rooms, laboratories, and a fire-proof room
containing the library.

There is little to interest the visitor in the immense collec-
tion of animal life which is simihr to that in any Natural
History rooms, but one collection in the west end of the
building should be missed under no consideration, if one
admires the beautiful at all. It is the collection of glass
flowers, made by Leopold and Rudolph Blaschka, of Germany,
who alone have the secret of doing this beautiful work. They
are the gift of Mrs. E. C. Ware and Miss L. M. Ware as a
memorial of the late Dr. C. E. Ware of the Class of 1834.
The Museum is open week diys from 9 until 5 ; and from May
to November, Sundays i to 5.



Jr6 SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

Leaving the Museum by the western entrance we come out
on to Oxford St. North of the Museum on this street are two
new dormitories :

Conant Hall

on the right, the gift of Edwin Conant, Class of 1829, who
left about $100,000, to Harvard in 1891 ; and

Perkins Hall

on the left, the gift of Mrs. Catherine Page Perkins, who gave
$150,000 to build a dormitory in memory of her husband's
great-grandfather. Rev. Daniel Perkins, his grandfather. Rev.
Richard Perkins, and his brother William Foster Perkins, who
were graduates of Haivard. Both were finished in 1894.

Going down Jarvis St. (the street running into Oxford in
front of the Museum) we pass between Jarvis Field on the
right, which was formerly the only athletic field of Harvard,
but is now used for tennis only, and Holmes Field on our left,
used for base ball and track athletics.

Half way down the street w^ come to a prison-like brick
building named

The Carey Building,

built for winter practice of the crew, who row in a large tank,
the boat being stationary wliile the water moves. The building
was erected in 1890, the gift of H. A. Carey.

Crossing Holmes Field we come first to a large brick build-
ing on our left,




statue of John Harvard.



HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. ij

Jefferson Physical Laboratory,

built in 1884, chiefly the gift of Thomas Jefferson Coolidge.
It contains recitation and lecture rooms, several laboratories,
and several smaller rooms for special research. The building
has arrangements by apartments on separate foundations, to
carry on experiments requiring extremely sensitive instru-
ments.

In front of the Jefferson Laboratory is the

Lawrence Scientific School,

built in 1848, the gift of Abbot Lawrence of Boston. The
building contains drafting and lecture rooms and the electri-
cal work-shop.

Beside the Scientific School building (to the west) is the

Hemenway Gymnasium,

built in 1879, the gift of Augustus Hemenway of Boston, who
has lately given money for Its enlargement (1895). When
finished it will probably be the finest gymnasium in America.
It contains the main hall, fitted up with every modern and
conceivable gymnastic apparatus, a running track, bowling
alleys, baths of every description, and several thousand lockers.
Leaving the gymnasium and going west a few steps brings
us in sight of

Austin Hall,



a building of sandstone almost facing the rear of the Gymna-
sium. (See picture.) This is the Law School building, built



iS SOUVENIR GUIDE BOOK,

in 1883, and given by Edwin Austin of Boston in memory of
his brother Samuel Austin. It contains the large library,
three large lecture rooms, a large comfortable reading room,
and the Faculty offices. Between it and the Gymnasium once
stood the birthplace of Oliver Wendell Holmes (see picture),
which was removed because it obscured the view of a portion
of Austin Hall.

Going west to Massachusetts Avenue (the main street) and
turning to the right, a few steps bring us to

Walter Hastings Hall,

a rather pretty dormitory, of fancy brick, built in 1890 at a
cost of $243,000, the bequest of Walter Hastings. This is the
finest dormitory belonging to the University.

Going directly across the common (opposite Hastings
Hall) to a large stone church with a steeple brings us to the

Washington Elm,

an old elm tree in the street, surrounded by an iron fence.
(See picture.) Here a stone slab informs us that ''Under
this Tree Washington First Took Command of the American
Army, July 3rd, i775-"

On the corner of Mason and Garden Sts., (the tree is at the
junction of these two streets) near the tree is

Radcliffe College,

the successor of the Society for the Collegiate Instruction of
Women, and perhaps even better known as the " Harvard
Annex," as the name Radchffe was adopted but recently
(1894).



J^



o
c




HARVARD COLLEGE AND VICINITY. I9

It was planned by Mr. Arthur Gihnan. It opened in 1879,
with 27 students, who, for the most part, found homes in vari-
ous private famiUes.

The College occupies the old Fay House, which has been,
however, greatly altered, improved and enlarged. (See
picture.) It offers systematic collegiate instruction for women
under the professors and instructors of Harvard University.
More than 80 of Harvard's instructors are teachers in Radcliffe

The courses are identical with those in the University, and
the degrees are countersigned by the President of Harvard, as
a guarantee that Radcliffe degrees are equivalent to the corres-
ponding degrees


1

Online LibraryFrederick A.] [OlssonSouvenir guide book of Harvard college and its historical vicinity . . → online text (page 1 of 2)