General William Harrison Kemper.

A twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 2 online

. (page 16 of 55)
Online LibraryGeneral William Harrison KemperA twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 2 → online text (page 16 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was born in Madison county, Kentucky, January 27, 1816, and came to this
county at the age of sixteen, where he died April 22, 1895. By his marriage



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

to Frances Kemper he had the following children: Sarah J., William G.,
Mary A., Lucy B., John W., Margaret F., Carrie G., Thomas J., Stella J.,
Ralph H. Sarah J. Clark married Duncan Williams September 23, 1858.
Mrs. Williams has four living children, namely : Lucy, Emma, Gertrude and
Robert J., while one, William K., is deceased,

Hugh Alvin Cowing, physician and surgeon, was bom near the
city of Muncie July 28, i860, a son of Granville and Lucy (Moran)
Cowing and a grandson of Joseph Cowing. After completing his edu-
cation in the common schools of Delaware county and graduating from
the Muncie high school with the class of 1882, Hugh A. Cowing taught
school in this county for eight years, from 1879 until 1887. It was in 1886
that he began the study of medicine, first under the supervision of Dr. G.
W. H. Kemper, of Muncie, and later attended three courses of lectures
at the Miami Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio. He received his degree of
M. D. from that institution March 11, 1890, and on the 24th of the
same month entered into a partnership with his former preceptor. Dr. G.
W. H. Kemper, at Muncie. This relationship continued until 1897, *and
since then he has continued alone in this city.

Dr. Cowing is a member of the Delaware County (Indiana) Medi-
cal Society, of which he was the secretary in 1893 and the president in
1906; a member of the Indiana State Medical Society, of the American
Medical Association, of the American Public Health Association; was a
member of the Indiana State Committee of the International Congress on
Tuberculosis, 1908; has been secretary of the Delaware County Board of
Health since 1890; and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Dr. Cowing is also the president of the Delaware County Children's Home
Association and president of the Delaware County Board of Children's
Guardians. His contributions to medical literature are: "Tobacco; its Ef-
fect Upon the Health and Morals of a Community"; "Diseases of the
Cornea"; "Paracentesis Thoracis," Indiana Medical Journal, May, 1892;
"A Case of Tetanus; Recovery," Ibid,, January, 1893; "Fracture
of the Skull ; Report of Two Cases, with Operation and Recovery," June,
1894; "Report of a Case of Purpura," Cincinnati Lancet Clinic,
January 27, 1894; History of the Small Pox Epidemic at Muncie,
Indiana, in 1893, and "Management of an Outbreak of Small Pox," Twelfth
Annual Report of the Indiana State Board of Health, 1893 ; "How Shall We
Solve the Tuberculosis Problem?" 1905; "The Adulteration of Food and
Drugs," Delaware County Medical Society; "Twins and their Relation to
Obstetric Procedures," 1901 ; "The Modem Sanatorium Treatment of Tuber-
culosis," 1906, Indiana State Medical Society ; "Shall Indiana Improve Her
Laws which Regulate the Practice of Medicine?" 1896; "The Tuberculosis
Sanatorium," 1905, Health Officers' School, Indianapolis ; "The Relation of
the Physician to the Tuberculosis Problem" ; 1906, American Public Health
Association, Mexico City, Mexico ; "The Hospital and the Sanatorium a Ne-



Digitized by



Google



700 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

cessity in the Combat Against Tuberculosis," 1906; Tuberculosis Exhibit,
Indianapolis ; and "Six Hundred Cases of Labor in Private Practice," 1907,
Delaware County Medical Society.

Dr. Cowing married, June 23, 1892, Miss Alice E. Prey, of Cincinnati,
Ohio. They have two children, Kemper Prey Cowing and Rachel Cowing.

Edward Tuhey. The subject of this review, Edward Tuhey, is a
worthy representative of that type of American character and of that pro-
gressive spirit which promote public good in advancing individual pros-
perity and conserving popular interests. He has long been prominently
identified with the business interests of Muncie, and while his varied affairs
have brought him success they have also advanced the general welfare by
accelerating commercial activity. Mr. Tuhey is of Irish ancestry, his father,
Edward Tuhey, having been born in county Cork, Ireland, but when twenty
years of age he came to the United States, and like many of his country-
men from the Emerald Isle, engaged in railroad work. He came to Indiana
at the time of the construction of the Big Four Railroad, locating in Muncie,
where his lifers labors were ended in death on the ist of July, 1895. He
became a loyal and patriotic American citizen, and during the Civil war
served as a soldier in the Thirty-fifth Indiana Infantry.

Jn Muncie, on the 14th of January, 1856, occurred the birth of Ed-
ward Tuhey, and after completing his education in its public schools he
was engaged in teaching for twelve years in Delaware county. Leaving
the professional for a business career, he engaged in contracting and
building in Muncie, and to him belongs the credit of having built the larger
part of the drainage system of this city. Pour years later he erected the
rolling mills and engaged in the manufacture of iron, as a member of the
Muncie Iron & Steel Company, and thu^ he continued for about ten years.
On the expiration of that period he organized the Tuhey Canning Company,
this being in 1900, and since the time of its organization the enterprise
has grown in volume and importance until it is now classed among the
leading industrial institutions of Delaware county. They can only tomatoes,
of which they ship from one hundred to one hundred and twenty-five car-
loads annually. In addition to his extensive business interests Mr. Tuhey has
also taken an active part in the public aflfairs of his native city, and for
four years during Cleveland's administration, he served as its postmaster,
while from 1898 until 1902 he served in the highest office within the gift
of his fellow citizens, that of mayor, wherein he was active and earnest in
his advocacy of all measures for the public good.

On the i8th of October, 1876, Mr. Tuhey was united in marriage to
Mary Edna McKinley, a daughter of Alexander McKinley, one of the hon-
ored pioneer residents of Delaware county. Of the ten children bom to
Mr. and Mrs, Tuhey all are living, and three are associated with their
father in business. He has been an influential factor in the progress of
Muncie, and, alone and unaided, he has carved his way to the high position
he now occupies.

David A. Lambert. One of the best known among men who have
held public office in Delaware county is David A. Lambert. His first public
position was that of deputy county treasurer, to which place he was appointed
in i8qi bv Mark Powers, who at the election in 1800 was made countv



Digitized by



Google



Cs-eZtytrPM-^ -^




Digitized by VjOOQIC




Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 703

from April i, 1903, to April i, 1907. On the i8th of February, 1908, he was
nominated by the Republicans of Delaware county as their candidate for
state senator. For many years Mr. Lambert has been very much interested
in agricultural pursuits, and takes much interest in the management of a
fertile and well kept farm which he owns in Hamilton township. He has
never been too busy in public life to neglect the affairs of the farm, and
his success in agriculture has been fully demonstrated.

Mr. Lambert was one of a family of nine children, having been born
in Salem township, Delaware county, Indiana, on the 29th of June, 1861.
His father was John N. Lambert, one of the pioneers in the settlement of
Salem township. He was bom in Ohio, near Cincinnati, December 26, 1829,
and, after a few years spent in southern Indiana, came to Delaware county
about the year 1852. Here, for almost a quarter of a century, he lived on
rented land, enduring all of the hardships incident to those times in Indiana.
Industrious, honest, of good habits, upright and kind-hearted, John N. Lam-
bert was a noble example for his children, and all who came in contact with
him. After a long period of renting, he purchased the farm which he had
tilled so long, and began to work out his ideas of a home. At the time the
farm was purchased, much of it was in woods. With his proverbial pluck
and perseverance he went about clearing it for the plow, draining the soil
and making such other improvement as his financial circumstances would
permit. On the first day of June, 1907, he passed away, after a lingering
and painful illness, at the age of seventy-seven years. The mother of David A.
Lambert was Nancy J. (Graham) Lambert, who was the daughter of Joseph
Graham and was bom in 1830. She was a woman of rare virtue, intelligence
and good sense, and, by reason of her teaching and righteous living, instilled
into the minds of her children a desire not only to live pure and cleanly lives
but to do something and to be somebody in the world. She died in 1879
at the age of forty-nine years.

David A. Lambert attended the schools of Salem township during his
boyhood days, and later became a student in the Central Indiana Normal
College, located at Danville, Indiana. When eighteen years of age he began
teaching and continued to teach for twelve years, and it was at the close
of that period that he entered upon his long and successful career as a public
official.

On September 3, 1889, Mr. Lambert was married to Elizabeth Kirklin,
who was bora in Delaware county on March 26, 1867. To this union were
born two children — Marian, October 2, 1890, and Mildred, November 25,
1891. The loving and faithful wife and mother died July 13, 1893, only
living long enough to prove her worth to husband and daughters and leaving
them a legacy of undying and unending love, and the influence of a coura-
geous and devoted womanhood. Her life was pure and spotless, and her life,
though short, a blessing to all who knew her. On July 29, 1896, Mr. Lam-
bert was married to Miss Anna M. Meeker, who was the daughter of
Chester C. Meeker and Ann (Johnston) Meeker, who were natives of the
state of New York. Miss Meeker was born July 29, 1870. To this union
were born three sons — ^Jean, bom August 30, 1900; George, bom February
22^ 1904, and David, born July 14, 1906.

Mr. Lambert is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Red Men. As stated before, he is a
Republican and active in all movements having a tendency to better the
conditions of his city or county.

Frank L. Gass, judge of the city court of Muncie was bom in that
place on the 22d of March, 1872, and, with the exception of two years
spent in Missouri, has resided therein all his life. He spent twelve years



Digitized by



Google



704 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

in the acquiring of an education, which was preparatory to his collegiate
courses, entering one of the city schools at the age of six years and
graduating from the high school when eighteen years old. In the fall
of 1890 he became a student in the Indiana State University, and after
completing a scientific course commenced the study of law, graduating
from the latter department in 1895, with the degree of Bachelor of Law,

Immediately after his admission to the bar Judge Gass commenced
the practice of his profession in Muncie, but after five years of substan-
tial success was induced to test the stories which came to him of the wealth
being made in the lead and zinc mines of Missouri. In 1899-1900 he there-
fore resided in Webb City, that state, and profitably conducted various in-
terests in the field mentioned; but on account of the failing health of his
father he returned to Muncie to assist him in the buggy business. His pro-
fessional standing and his upright and able character as a man were about
to be recognized by the community at large in his decisive election as judge
of the city court in 1905. Although Judge Gass is a Democrat and Muncie
is normally a Republican city by about two thousand majority, he was
honored by a majority of five hundred and sixty-five. His term of service
does not expire until January i, 1910, and as his record has already ma-
terially advanced his legal and judicious name it is probable that greater
public preferments are in store for him. The Judge is also one of the
most prominent members of the Knights of Pythias in the state, and in
October, 1907, was elected Grand Chancellor of the order for Indiana.

Judge Gass is of German parentage and ancestry, his father, Charles
Gass, having emigrated from the fatherland to the United States in 1865,
being then a youth of eighteen. The mother is of German extraction, but
was bom and raised in Hancock county, her maiden name being Schrieber.

In 1903 Judge Gass was married to Annie L. Burch, of Carterville,
Missouri.

L. T. LoAR, M. D. In the practice of medicine, in Muncie, Dr. Loar
has demonstrated the fact that he is well informed concerning the prin-
ciples of the medical science and their correct application to the needs of
suflFering humanity, and has therefore been accorded a liberal patronage.
His birth occurred in West Virginia on the 12th of October, i860, a son
of Harmon and Elizabeth (Workman) Loar, both also natives of that com-
monwealth and descendants of prominent old southern families. They were
married September 15, 1846. The father spent his entire life in the Pan-
handle state, prominently identified with its agricultural interests, and he
died at the old home place there September 27, 1892. His widow still re-
sides there.

In the public schools of his native commonwealth of West Virginia Dr.
Loar received his early literary training, and he was early inured to the
duties of the fields. In 1878 he began farming for himself, and continued
until 1884, when he engaged in the lumber business in Wayne county. West



Digitized by



Google



^<:.{^.;^,2)



Digitized by



Google






" . 1



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 707

Virginia. Choosing the practice of medicine as his life occupation, in 1889
he entered upon a course of study in the I-ouisville Medical College,
graduating therein in 1891, and immediately afterward he began practice
in West Virginia. After four years of practice in his native common-
wealth Dr. Loar located in Pickaway county, Ohio, where for two years he
was actively engaged in the practice of medicine, and in 1898 he came to
Muncie, Indiana, and opened an office. His professional career here has
been attended with marked success, and his name is fast becoming a house-
hold word in the homes of the community. He has always taken a deep
interest in, the political and public affairs of his locality, and votes with the
Democratic party.

On November, 28, 1895, Dr. Loar was united in marriage to Qara
B. Dickason, a native of Jackson, Ohio, bom July 18, 1869, a daughter
of Charles Dickason, also of the Buckeye state. They have become the
parents of two children, Ruth H., born on the 20th of January, 1897, in
Pickaway county, Ohio, and Laban Theodore, bom Febmary 27, 1903, in
Muncie, Indiana. In his fraternal relations the Doctor is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Order of Red Men, and is
also a consistent member of the Presbyterian church and of the Delaware
Medical Society.

Do what conscience says is right,

Do what reason says is best.
Do with all your might and mind.

Do your duty and be blessed.

Sidney A. Jewett, deceased, was bom in the state of New York June
16, 1833. His father, Jeremiah Jewett, was also a native of the Empire
State, but he came to Muncie when his son Sidney was a little lad of five
years, or in 1838. He was a burner of lime, and followed that occupation
for many years, being a pioneer of that once important industry in Muncie.
His death occurred in this city at the advanced age of eighty-four years.

Sidney A. Jewett was reared and received his educational training in
Muncie, and this city wa^ the place of his residence during the remainder
of his life. During the early years of his life he burned lime with his father,
and when the Civil war was inaugurated he tendered his services in defense
of the Union by enlisting in Company B, Sixty-ninth Indiana Infantry. He
served three years in the army and took part in every battle and engagement
in which his regiment was engaged. Retuming home after the close of
hostilities, he was for several years thereafter variously employed, and
during the fifteen years preceding his death was the proficient superintendent
of the. Beech Grove Cemetery, of Muncie. His death occurred on the 3d of
Febmary, 1904,

In the year of 1857 Mr. Jewett married Miss Sarah Conn, who survives
him and yet resides in Muncie. She was born in Delaware county, Indiana,
October 30, 1840, and her father, Mr. Simon Conn, was one of the early



Digitized by



Google



708 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

pioneers of the county, not only as a settler but also as the operator of a
wagon freight line between Muncie and Cincinnati. Unto the union of
Sidney A. and Sarah Jewett were bom the following children : Ida, now
Mrs. Fred Watson; Charles E., deceased; William M., deceased; Fred K, of
whom further mention will be found below; and Nellie, unmarried and
living with her mother. Mrs. Jewett is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and is a highly esteemed lady. Her life has been one of kind-
ness and fidelity to home, church and neighbor, and she is loved and hon-
ored by all who have the pleasure of her acquaintance. Her husband was
a member of the Universalist church, was possessed of moral and praise-
worthy habits, and many were his warm and faithful friends. He was a
kind and loving husband and father, always ready to do all within his
power to add to the comfort and happiness of his family. He was a mem-
ber of Williams Post No. 78, Department of Indiana, G. A. R., and also
of the Senior Order of United American Mechanics.

Fred E. Jewett is the efficient superintendent of the Ball Brothers
Glass Manufacturing Company, a position he has held for more than fifteen
years, or since his graduation from the Muncie High school. He is the
only son of the lately deceased Sidney Jewett, and is also a native son of
Muncie, born July 15, 1874, and was reared in the city of his birth.
In 1901 he married Miss LaRhue Dungan. Mr. Jewett is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal church, of the Odd Fellows fraternity and is a Master
Mason. In politics he supports the men and measures of the Republican
party.

George F. McCulloch. With the history of Muncie during its rapid
progress after the discovery of natural gas, while a town was growing into
a metropolitan center, no one individual is more closely identified than
George F. McCulloch. His name is connected with the first efforts to in-
crease the manufacturing interests. With the organization of the Enter-
prise Company in 1892, he at once became an important factor in the
success of that movement, which undoubtedly was the solid foundation for
the permanent future welfare of the city. He was- secretary of its soliciting
committee, and his enthusiasm and downright hard work for the cause
brought the subscriptions to an amount where the company became a posi-
tive influence in promoting the manufacturing growth of the city. When
the city became tired of its antiquated street-car service, Mr. McCulloch
took a leading part in the promotion of a company to give the city electric
service, and after he had built a system within the city he became foremost
in the more recent undertaking to connect Muncie with other towns by inter-
urban. He was treasurer of the original Union Traction Company, and
was its general manager before the present incumbent, A. W. Brady. To
many people Mr. McCulloch is perhaps best known because of his donation to
the city (in May, 1901) of the tract of land now called McCulloch Park,
which is destined to be a source of lasting benefit and value to the present



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 709

and future generations of Muncie citizens. As an illustration of Mr. McCul-
loch's business energy, we may mention* what is told on other pages that
he was the founder of the Muncie Star Publishing Company, and one of
the principal promoters of the newspaper syndicate that now publishes papers
in two other cities, and that within five years' time brought the circulation
of the Star up to nearly thirty thousand, eclipsing all other papers in the
local field. Mr. McCulloch was a member of the Whiteley Land Com-
pany, which, during the early nineties, promoted the sale of the Whiteley
subdivision and established the suburb of Whiteley.

While this summary comprises what are probably the best known of
Mr. McCulloch's achievements, it is by no means all, and many of his
undertakings are noted at their proper place in the general history of the
county. His business connections have also been with the Indiana Bridge
Company, the Nelson Glass Company, the Muncie Natural Gas Com-
pany, and many other large enterprises.

Thirty years ago Mr. McCulloch was only known to the people of town
and county as a young man occupying the position of deputy county clerk,
ambitious, energetic and politically popular, but had not yet achieved re-
markable success. Bom in Lancaster, Ohio, September 25, 1855, a son of
Dr. James McCulloch, who, from 1856 to 1877, was a well known phy-
sician of Muncie, George F. had attended graded and high school in
Mimcie, and then became a clerk for some of the merchants, among them
the Casady Queensware Company; also delivered groceries for William
Stewart, carried the mail and handled baggage, and, in fact, did the
things closest to him, and did them so well that he was early marked as
a young man of enterprise. In the early days of photography he learned
that business in connection with Lon M. Neely, but abandoned that oc-
cupation in 1872 to become deputy county clerk under G. W. Greene,
and was retained in that office during the term of A. L. Kerwood. In the
meantime he had studied law and been admitted to the bar, and in 1881 he
formed a law partnership with the late John McMahan. His active prac-
tice was interrupted within two years, and the partnership dissolved on
account of his election in 1882 to the office of county clerk. He was re-
elected in 1886, and left the office at the close of his term to enter actively into
the busy scenes that characterized the development of Muncie during
the early nineties. Mr. McCulloch married in September, 1883, Cora,
the daughter of the well-known Muncie merchant and business man,
Arthur Patterson. Mrs. McCulloch at her death left one daughter, Martha.

Mr. McCuUoch's mother, who, before her marriage, was Miss Caroline
J. Foulke, daughter of Dr. George D. Foulke, was a woman of remarkable
character and talents, and during the last thirty years of her life was the
principal leader in the various movements to advance the moral, aesthetic
and educational standards of the city. Her life and character were, it is
believed by those who knew her best, at the very foundation of her pres-
ent culture of Muncie. A deserved tribute to her work as a charter mem-



Digitized by



Google



710 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

ber of the Muncie Woman's Club has been paid by a friend in connection
with the history of that club, but hot only in the worthy movements under-
taken by this cluby but in many others she was an enthusiastic and devoted
worker and an inspiring leader for many years. In order to perpetuate the
influence of her noble character and leave a permanent tribute to her de-
voted work it is the purpose of her son, Mr. McCulloch, to build a memorial
chapel as the home of the Episcopal church of Muncie (see history of the
church). Mrs. McCulloch died May 14, 1904.

Charles Maberry Kimbrough. The name of Charles M. Kimbrough
stands conspicuously forth on the pages of Indiana's political and industrial
history. The nation is greatest which produces the greatest and most
manly men, as these must constitute the essentially greatest nation. Pur-
suing each his personal good by exalted means they wrought on lines of
the greatest good. Thus it is that the safety of our republic depends not
so much upon the methods and measures as upon that manhood from
whose deep sources all that is precious and permanent in life must at last
proceed.

We are led to the foregoing reflections m reviewing, even in a cursory
way, the salient points which mark the career of him whose name appears
above. He has not alone attained prestige in the pursuit of his extensive
business interests, but has been conspicuously identified with many interests



Online LibraryGeneral William Harrison KemperA twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 2 → online text (page 16 of 55)