General William Harrison Kemper.

A twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 2 online

. (page 24 of 55)
Online LibraryGeneral William Harrison KemperA twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 2 → online text (page 24 of 55)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


brush and timber, but he cleared it, erected a house, and here spent his re-
maining days, an esteemed and respected citizen. He was a member of
Bethel Lodge No. 731, L O. O. P., and of the G. A. R. Post. On January
II.. 1853, ^^' Brunton married in Decatur county, Louisa H. Bentley, who
was born January 4, 1835, in Butler county, Ohio, and is now living in Dela-
ware county. She bore him five children, of whom four are living, as fol-
lows : Caroline, wife of William J. Colson ; James married Sarah E. House ;
Addie M., wife of Mr. Hiatt, and Gilbert A., who married Larma J. Hutson.
Pive (Children have been bom into the household established by Mr. and
Mrs. Hiatt, namely: Carl, who died in infancy; Porest E., Clifford M., Gil-
bert A. and a child that died in infancy. A Republican in politics, Mr.
Hiatt is recognized as an honest man and good citizen, always ready to per-
form his part in advancing the general welfare of the community, and is a
member of the Cemetery Association at Bethel, Indiana, of which he is
secretary and treasurer. Religiously he is a member of the New Light
Christian church, belonging to Kings Chapel, and socially he is a member
of Bethel Lodge No. 731, I. O. O. P., in which he has filled all the offices,
and of the Tribe of Red Men at Gaston, Indiana.

Samuel J. McCreery, prominently identified with the business in-
terests of Gaston, was bom in Harrison township, Delaware county, Indi-
ana, January 25, 1851, and received his educational training in the 'public
schools of his native county. His father, Thomas McCreery, a son of
Samuel and Elizabeth McCreery, was bom in Carroll county, Ohio, Octo-
ber 7, 1826, and departed this life on the i6th of March, 1906. When
twelve years of age he came to Indiana with his parents and located on the
farm now owned by his son William, one-half a mile south of Gaston.
The county at that time was a dense wilderness. His father located on a
claim of four hundred acres, eighty of which he gave to Thomas and he
cleared it himself and helped to blaze the way from his father's house to
a neighbor's, which was no small job. He endured the hardships and en-
joyed the triumphs of pioneer days. When quite a >'Oung man he became
a Christian, his father having been a charter member of the Pirst Meth-
odist Episcopal society in the neighborhood, which was organized in 1843,
and about 1849 Thomas McCreery and his wife became members, joining
the church in Levi Miller's house west of Gaston, and from that time on he
was a faithful Christian. He was also very much interested in the public
welfare and the country's civilization, and he helped to make the coun-
tr}', highways and schools what they are now. There is scarcely a church
around the country that he did not give of his means to build.

In 1849 Mr. McCreery married Miss Catherine Brown, and they be-
came the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters, namely:
Samuel J., James W., Nathan A. and John W., also Hannah E. Janney,
Phoebe J. McCreery, Rebecca A. McMahan, Sarah L. Kirklan and Effie



Digitized by



Google



78e HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

Hannan. On the 14th of April, 1886. his companion, who had been his co-
worker in life, passed to her final rew^ard. He was married to Margaret
Anderson December 16, 1898, and on February 19, 1901, married Martha
J. French, all of his companions preceding him in death, also two of his
daughters, Phoebe J. McCreery and Rebecca A. McMahan. He lived
alone during a portion of his life, but the last four weeks were spent with
his son Samuel, where, after a continued attack of illness, he passed quietly
away. He was a good husband, a kind and loving father, an affectionate
brother, an energetic and noble man and a representative citizen.

During his boyhood days Samuel J. McCreery, the immediate subject
of this review, worked on the farm with his father during the summer
months, helping to clear the place from its virgin state, and attended the
schools of the neighborhood during the winters. When he was twenty-
one years of age he learned the painter's trade, but being the ow^ner of
eighty acres which his father had gfiven him he abandoned his trade after
nine months and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He was
also married about this time, and his first home was a frame house of two
rooms, but later on he built additions thereto until he had a good eight-
room house on his farm, and in the meantime he also added to his land until
he is to-day the owner of about two hundred acres, all of which is fertile
and well improved, while in addition to his agricultural labors he was also
quite extensively engaged in stock raising, breeding Poland China and
Jerse5^ hogs. In 1899 Mr. McCreery left the farm and removed to Gaston,
where he erected a pleasant home and in 1902 engaged in the canning
business with others, he being one of the directors of the business. In
1893 he with others built the New Corner and Anthony pike, and was also
one of the charter members of the Gaston Banking Company, in which he
served as one of the directors.

On the 25th of December, 1873, Mr. McCreery married Martha Trout,
whose death occurred on the 19th of January, 1903. She was bom in
Licking county, Ohio, November 21, 1847, the daughter of Washington
and Carmilla (Christy) Trout, both of whom were also natives of the
Buckeye state, but both passed away in death in Harrison township, Dela-
ware county, the father when he had reached the age of sixty-five years,
and the mother at the age of seventy-five. Of the ten children born to
this couple nine lived to years of maturity and four are now living: Henry
B., Francis M., Emma R. and Orlena. The parents came to Delaware
county in the early '30s, locating in Harrison township. He was a mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal church, and gave his political support to
the Republican party. On the 25th of December, 1905, Mr. McCreery mar-
ried Martha J. Jackson. She was born in Hancock county, Indiana, the
daughter of Andrew and Katura (Boulden) Jackson, both of whom were



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 78?

He was born in Wayne county of this state March lo, 1823, a son of Levi
and Elizabeth Jackson. When he was seven years of age the family moved
to Madison county, Indiana, and in a very early day they established their
home in Hancock county. He united with the Methodist Episcopal church
during his boyhood days, and thereafter lived a true Christian life, becom-
ing one of the leading members of his church and for many years served
as its class leader. He became the father of five children by his first mar-
riage, but only four are now living: Thomas J., Sarah H., John W. and
Martha J. By his second marriage, to Priscilla Haney, Mr. Jackson be-
came the father of eight children, but only two of this large number now
survive, Pearl E. and Lottie. On the sth of August, 1885, Martha J. Jack-
son married Ivens P. Curtis, whose death occurred on the ist of July, 1897,
and to them were bom two children, Annie E. and Roy E., the elder dying
in infancy. Three children have been bom to Mr. and Mrs. McCreery, but
the first born died in infancy, Birdella, the second married George W.
Miller, and died February 16, 1906, aged twenty-six, and Lloyd E. mar-
ried Winona Manring and resides in Gaston.

Mr. McCreery was made a Mason in New Corner Lodge No. 524, from
which he transferred his membership to Muncie Lodge No. 334, and he
was also a charter member of the order of Red Men, but is not now a
member of that fraternity. He affiliates with New Corner Lodge No. 425,
I. O. O. P., of which he is a past noble grand, and is also a member of
Encampment No. 223, in which he has passed all the chairs and has been
a representative to the Grand Lodge of Indiana. Since seventeen years
of age Mr. McCreery has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, in the meantime having assisted in the erection of two churches in
Gaston, and for twenty years or more served in the office of steward, while
at the present time he is the president of the board of tmstees. He is a
stanch Republican in his political affiliations.

William C. Hoffman. For forty years a resident of Delaware county,
William C. Hoffman has been closely identified with its industrial and agri-
cultural growth and progress, and is widely known as a citizen of sterling
worth and integrity. A veteran of the Civil war, he is distinguished for
his military record as a soldier, while in private life he is recognized as a
true, upright man, one to whom will be said when "taps" are sounded for
the last time, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." A son of
William H. HoflFman, he was born, March 8, 1846, in Montgomery county,
Ohio, and there spent his early years.

William H. Hoffman was bom in Pennsylvania, in 1807, and died in
1852, in Ohio, while yet in manhood's prime. With his parents, Mr. and
Mrs. Jacob Hoffman, he moved to Ohio, where he was reared and edu-
cated. He began life on his own account as a merchant in Dayton, Ohio,
but afterwards settled on a farm, and from that time until his death was
actively employed in agricultural pursuits. He was a Whig in his political



Digitized by



Google



788 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

affiliations, and in religion belonged to the United Brethren church. He
married in Ohio Maria Camp, who was born in 1819 in New Jersey, and
died in 1893 in Delaware county, Indiana. Seven children were born to
them, five of whom survive, as follows: William C, the special subject of
this sketch; Harriet, wife of J. J. McCarter; George W. married Delia
Bliss ; Lucetta, wife of Noah Sinks ; and Elizabeth, wife of Perry Waymier.

During the days of his boyhood William C. Hoffman worked on the
home farm, attending the district schools during the winter seasons. When
the tocsin of war rang throughout the land he was a beardless youth, but
his patriotic blood was aroused, and on October 22, 1861, he enlisted for
three years in Company F, Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. On
July 25, 1864, he was honorably discharged with his comrades from serv-
ice, and at once re-enlisted in the same company, becoming a veteran of the
regiment in which he first enlisted. On February 8, 1865, he was made
corporal of his company, and in that capacity served until receiving his
final discharge, July 10, 1865. With the gallant heroes of the Seventy-
fourth Regiment Mr. HoflFman participated in some of the more important
battles and skirmishes of the war, taking part in nwre than twenty engage-
ments, including among others the following named : Chickamauga, Look-
out Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Stone River, Buzzards Roost, Resaca,
Dallas, Jonesboro and Atlanta. Returning to his Ohio home at the close
of the war Mr. Hoffman resumed farming, remaining there about two
years.

In 1867, following the trail established by the pioneers of old, Mr.
HoflFman came to Delaware county, locating first as a farmer in Salem
township and afterwards removing to Mount Pleasant township, where he
was similarly employed for a number of years. Coming to Washington
township in 1899, he purchased the farm which he now owns and occu-
pies, and began its improvement by the erection of the substantial farm
house, of modern structure, in which he is now living. He is not at the
present time actively engaged in tilling the soil, but rents the land, deriving
a good annual income from the rentals.

Mr. HoflFman married, November 30, 1871, Mary Lambert, who was
born in JeflFerson county, Indiana, January 10, 1854, a daughter of John
N. Lambert and a granddaughter of Noah and Elizabeth Lambert, who
were among the earliest settlers of Ohio county, Indiana. John N. Lam-
bert was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, December 26, 1830, and died June
I, 1907, in Delaware county, Indiana. Coming with his parents to Indiana
when a child, he was brought up in Ohio county, living there until 1854.
Locating then in Delaware county, he bought fifty-six acres of land on
which the timber was still standing, and ere long the steady swing of his



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 789

land, and in course of time added to the area of his farm by the purchase
of forty acres of adjoining land, and replaced the log cabin with a sub-
stantial frame house, in which he spent the remainder of his days, dying
honored and esteemed by all. He became a man of influence in the county,
and was an important factor in developing its resources. He was a Whig
in politics, a member of the United Brethren church, and belonged to
Delaware Lodge, L O. O. F. Mr. Lambert married, in Switzerland
county, Indiana, Nancy J. Graham, who was born in that county July 12,
1831, and died in Delaware county February 16, 1879. She bore him nine
children, of whom eight are living, as follows: Mary, wife of Mr. Hoff-
man; Joseph O. married Emma Cromer; John W. married Effie Rader;
David H. married Anna Meeker ; Charles E. married Sarah Smith ;> Oliver
P. married Sadie Bateman; Oscar C. married Agnes Hupp; and Josie B.,
wife of Charles Walker.

Of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman six children have been born,
namely : Vertie M., who died at the age of twenty-four years ; Milton B.
married Ethel Oxley ; Bessie A., wife of Oscar O. Boxell, of whom a brief
sketch appears on another page of this work; George A. married Gertrude
Robbins; Harry E. married Fannie Smith; and Hattie L., wife of John
Carmon. Politically Mr. Hoffman is a stanch supporter of the Republican
party. Fraternally he belongs to Lookout Mountain Post No. 140, G. A. R.
Religiously he and his wife are conscientious members of the Methodist
Protestant church.

Jacob E. Sharp. As a life-long resident of Delaware county and an
important factor in the development of its mercantile, agricultural and in-
dustrial prosperity, the late Jacob E. Sharp is specially deserving of honor-
able mention in this biographical and historical work. As a successful
business man, a trustworthy citizen, and a man of strict integrity and high
moral principles, he had the sincere respect and esteem of his neighbors
and friends. He was bom in Washington township, this county, Novem-
ber 2, 1854, and died near Gaston August 30, 1901, while yet in manhood's
prime. He was of honored pioneer descent, being a son of Thompson and
Christena (Bower) Sharp, of whom a brief account may be found on an-
other page of this volume.

Beginning life for himself as a merchant, Jacob E. Sharp had a gen-
eral store in New Corner, now Gaston, for two years, carrying on quite
an extensive business. Closing out then, he turned his attention to agri-
cultural pursuits, for which he had a natural aptitude and liking. Locat-
ing in Harrison township, he made substantial improvements on the farm
which he purchased, including among other things the erection of a gxxxl
frame house. He continued his occupation of a farmer until 1895, when he
removed to a pleasant home in Gaston, where he resided until called to the
better life. Although a stanch Republican in politics, Mr. Sharp never



Digitized by



Google



T90 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

sought public office, but he was prominent as an Odd Fellow, belonging to
New Canaan Lodge, No. 154, L O. O. F.

On December 25, 1875, ^^- Sharp married Florence A. Brady, who
was bom in Harrison township, this county, April 3, 1855, and into the
home thus established four children were bom, namely: Elmer Vernon,
who died in infancy, Avery L., Lula May and Dora Hazel. Mrs. Sharp's
father, the late Aaron W. Brady, was born in Ohio September 25, 1822, and
died in Delaware county, Indiana, September 13, 1879. When a child
he came with his parents to Indiana, his father taking up a government
claim in the wilderness, and from it reclaiming a homestead. In the days
o^ his boyhood the wild beasts of the forest had not fled before the ad-
vkiicing steps of civilization, but with the dusky savage habited the vast wil-
derness. While assisting his father in clearing a homestead he acquired a
practical knowledge that was of much use to him in after years, and when
ready to commence his career as an independent farmer he took up a tract
of timbered land and began the improvement of a farm. He was very suc-
cessful in his undertaking, becoming the possessor of one of the most at-
tractive and valuable homesteads in this part of the county. The humble
Ic^ cabin which he reared in the forest was replaced by a comfortably built
frame house, in which he spent his last years in comfort and pleasure. He
was a Whig in politics until the formation of the Republican party, when he
became one of its most ardent supporters, and belonged to the Methodist
Episcopal church. He was buried with Masonic honors by the New Canaan
Lodge No. 425, A. F. & A. M., of which he was a prominent member
Mr. Brady married, in Indiana, Hannah Marshall, who was born in Clinton
county, Ohio, January 13, 1821, and died January 13, 1875. She bore him
eight children, of whom three survive, namely : Margaret, wife of Thomas
Duncan; William, who married Eliza Hannan; and Mrs. Florence A.
(Brady) Sharp.

John W. Kirklin, one of the prominent and leading business men
of Washington township, was bom in Henry county, Indiana, June 25, 1859.
His father, John R. Kirklin, was a native son of North Carolina, from
whence he removed to Illinois and later to Henry county, Indiana, where
he followed his trade of coopering and farming until 1887, since which
time he has lived a retired life, making his home in Perry tow/iship, Dela-
warcicounty. He has reached the eightieth milestone on the journey of life,
and is loved and honored in the community in which he has so long made
his home. He is a member of the German Baptist church, in which he
has served as a minister during the past forty years, and his political
affiliations have been with the Whig and Republican parties. During his
residence in Illinois Mr. Kirklin married Louisa Bmer, who was born in
1829, and died in 1861. Of the six children bom of this union four
are now living: Martha, William T., Jacob and John W. The father was
a second time married, Mrs. Elizabeth Richardson, nee Holler, then be-



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 791

coming his wife, and they also had six children, the three now living being
Eli, Susan and Charles.

During three years of his early business career John W. Kirklin was
engaged in general merchandising in Gaston, after which he turned his
attention to farming on twelve acres of lanri in Washington township.
With the passing years he extended the boundaries of this little farm until
he became the owner of two hundred and tlflrty-five acres, all fertile and
well improved land, and here he is engaged in general farming and stock
raising. In addition to his extensive agricultural interests he is also en-
gaged in the undertaking business in Gaston in partnership with Bert
Powers, he having been engaged in this vocation since 1892. He is a
member of the order of Red Men, Sioux Tribe No. 123, at Gaston, Indiana,
and his political affiliations are with the Republican party.

On the 29th of September, 1887. Mr. Kirklin married Sarah L. Mc-
Creery, who was bom in Harrison township, Delaware county. May 23,
1866. Her father, Thomas McCreery, was one of the prominent and suc-
cessful farmers of Harrison township, being held in the highest esteem by
all who knew him. He was born in Carroll county, Ohio, October 7, 1826,
and died on the i6th of March, 1906. He came from Ohio at an early
date with his parents, with whom he lived until twenty-four years of age,
when he was married. After becoming of age he worked with his father
until his marriage, the latter then giving him a contract to clear eighty
acres of land, while in addition he worked his father's farm on the shares.
He was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Maynard) McCreery. The
former, born in Virginia July 9, 1801, emigrated to Carroll county, Ohio,
when a young man and bought one hundred acres of land, *on which he
farmed and made his home until 1838, in that year coming to Delaware
county and entering three hundred and sixty acres of land in the wilder-
ness. His wife died on the 2d of February, 1889, but he survived until the
23d of November, 1893, passing away at the advanced age of ninety-three
years. He was a member of the Methodist church, and was identified with
the Whig party.

Thomas McCreery added to the homestead farm at different times until
he at one time owned four hundred and seventeen acres, while in addition
he also owned a half interest in a large store room in New Comer, now
Gaston, and other property in that city. Mr. McCreery married, October
25, 1849, Miss Catherine Brown, a daughter of Samuel and Phebe Brown,
natives of Qinton county, Ohio, but they became residents of the western
part of Delaware county, Indiana, where the husband and father was en-
gaged in farming. He was also a cooper by trade. Mrs. McCreery was
bom April 7, 1828, and died April 15, 1886, her remains now resting in
the Cumberland cemetery, where a beautiful monument stands sacred to
her memory. She was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and enjoyed the esteem of all who knew her. By this marriage the follow-
ing children were bom : Samuel J., whose biography also appears in this



Digitized by



Google



792 HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY

work; Hannah E., the wife of William Janney; Rebecca, deceased; James
W. ; Nathan A. ; John W. ; Sarah L., the wife of John W. Kirklin ; and
Mary M., the wife of Barney Hannan. Mr. McCreery married Septem-
ber i8, 1888, for his second wife, Mrs. Margaret Ellen Anderson, the widow
of O. Anderson and a native of Clermont county, Ohio. Mr. McCreery was
a Republican in his political affiliations, and was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church. Five children have been bom to Mr. and Mrs. Kirklin,
namely: Byrel R., born September 22, 1888; Floyd R., born June 2, 1891 ;
Twily T., born December 23, 1893; Wayne L., born August 9, 1896; and
Oren L., bom April 29, 1903.

Joseph A. Broyles was born in Washington township, Delaware coun-
ty, Indiana, August 5, 1852, a son of Anderson H. and Harritt (Wilson)
Broyles. The father was born in Greenbrier county, Virginia, August 19,
181 2, but in 1834, when twenty-two years of age, he came to Rush county,
Indiana, where he worked on a farm for about two years. Not being satis-
fied with that location, however, he concluded to remove to another part
of the state where he could procure a home of his own. It was in 1837
that he came with his father's family to Washington township, Delaware
county, which was then but a dense wilderness. He built him a little log
cabin and started in life in very humble circumstances, but by energj',
industry and excellent business ability he became numbered among the
largest real estate owners in Washington township, as well as one of its
leading citizens. He was a member of the Methodist . Episcopal church
for nearly fifty-five years, and when his good and useful life was ended in
death, on the' 29th of December, 1879, his funeral services were held in
Zion Chapel on the 31st, conducted by Rev. J. D. Croan. He gave his
political support to the Whig party. On the 20th of February, 1835, during
his residence in Rush county, Indiana, he was there married to Harritt
Wilson, who was born in Kentucky April 9, 1812, and died in Washington
township, Delaware county, Indiana, March 23, 1895. Of the eight children
born of this union, four are now living: John W., William H., Lewis H.
and Joseph A.

Joseph A. Broyles remained at home with his parents until his mar-
riage, in the meantime assisting his father in the work of the farm and
pursuing his education in the district schools and in the high school of
Muncie. Soon after his marriage he began farming for himself on forty
acres of land, later on building him a log house which served as the family
home until 1902, in that year erecting the modern frame dwelling which
adds so much to the value and attractive appearance of the homestead. He
has improved his farm of one hundred and thirty-nine and a half acres
from its primitive state to its present high degree of cultivation, having
been assisted in the wca-k by his sons but in the spring of 1907 Mr. Broyles
laid aside the active work of the farm and has since lived a retired life, his
sons conducting the work of the homestead.



Digitized by



Google



HISTORY OF DELAWARE COUNTY 793

The marriage of Mr. Broyles was celebrated on the 12th of August,
1876, Eliza C. Reeder becoming his wife. She was born in Grant county,



Online LibraryGeneral William Harrison KemperA twentieth century history of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 2 → online text (page 24 of 55)