George Henderson Kinnear.

History of Glenbervie online

. (page 4 of 12)
Online LibraryGeorge Henderson KinnearHistory of Glenbervie → online text (page 4 of 12)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


entirely rebuilt very nearly on the same site, the new
building being opened on the loth September,
1850. Before this time, in 1848, an additional piece
of ground had been feued and a manse erected. In
course of time a school was added to the congrega-
tional organisation, which was taught by a female
teacher, and carried on in the building now known
as the Public Hall. It did good educational work
in the district and was carried on successfully till
the Education Act came in force in 1873 when it
was handed over to the School Board.

On the 26th July, 1863, a communion Sabbath,
Mr Glen was stricken down in the pulpit when he
had just given out the text of his Action
Sermon, from Psalm 119, verse 174, " I have
longed for Thy salvation O Lord." He was
carried into the Manse, but never rallied,
and died a few days after, leaving a fragrant
memory. His last text is engraven on his tomb-
stone in Glenbervie Churchyard. After a vacancy
of some months, the



34

REV. JAMES CAMERON,

a native of TJdny, Aberdeensnire, was ordained
minister of the congregation on the 10th March,
1864. After an earnest and efficient ministry of
fully eleven years, Mr Cameron, by exposure to a
snowstorm in the winter of 1874, fell into an ill-
ness, which developed into consumption, and was
removed by death in May, 1875. A man of
sprightly and genial temperament, an accomplished
scholar, and with pulpit gifts of no mean order, he
is still remembered with affectionate esteem by not
a few in the congregation.

The vacancy which followed the death of Mr
Cameron continued for about eight months. After
a temporary division of opinion and feeling in the
congregation, they came at length to a cordial
agreement and unanimous choice of the present
minister.

REV. R. MASSON BOYD,

a native of Kilmamock, Ayrshire, who was har-
moniously settled on the 15th of December, 1875.)

For twenty years now Mr Boyd has most zealously
attended to the spiritual wants of his flock, and is
held by them in the greatest esteem. He is an
efficient and intelligent member of both the School
Board and the Parish Council, and was previously
one of the elected representatives on the Parochial
Board, in all of which offices he has done good work
for the community amongst whom he labours.

CHAPTER VI.
EPISCOPAL CHAPEL JACOBITE TROUBLES CHAPEL

DESTROYED BY CUMBERLAND PENAL LAWS

INCUMBENTS OF CHURCH.

For the last two hundred years at least there has
been an Episcopal Chapel at Drumlithie. The
Episcopal Church in Scotland was disestablished in
1689, and since that date Episcopalians have been
settled in the village. The whole district, indeed,
at certain periods during that time, was strongly
Episcopalian, and the members attending the
Drumlithie chapel were drawn from a considerable
area around the church as a centre. There were
mission stations at Redmyre, Arbuthnott, and other
places dependent sometimes on Drumlithie and at
other times on the church at Lanrencekirk.

In common with other Churches in the county,
the Episcopal Church in Drumlithie suffered in the
troublous times of the Jacobite risings.



35

The Episcopalians, it is well known, were strongly
attached to the Jacobite cause, and when the stand-
ard of the Earl of Mar was raised at Braemar in the
interests of the il Pretender " many from this dis-
trict, which was then strongly Jacobite went
" over the mountains " to fight under Mar and
the other Highland chiefs. Some of the
adherents of the church at Drumlithie must have
lived on the lands of the Earl Marischal, and it is
probable that they had thus gone to swell the
Jacobite forces.

The rising was fruitless. The Pretender embark-
ing at Montrose made for France, and the Episcopal
Church was placed under penal laws. In 1718 a
law was made that no Episcopal clergyman was to
officiate in a congregation where more than
nine persons, besides his own household were
present, without praying in express words
for the reigning king. This the Episcopal
clergy would not do ; accordingly, they
were gradually put out of their livings.

At the time of the second Jacobite rising (1745)
the Episcopal clergyman at Drumlithie was the

REV. Jonx PETRIE.

The following year the chapel at Drumlithie, along
/ with those at Muchalland Stonehaven was burned
by the Duke oFCumberland, who was then in pur-
suit of the ' ' Bonnie Prince Charlie. ' ' Consequently
Mr Petrie was obliged to resort to a meeting house
in order to preach to his followers. Part of that
meeting house still remains, and forms the wall on the
right hand side of the entrance to the present
Rectory at Drumlithie. In these meeting houses not
more than five persons coiild meet, for the penal
laws against the Episcopalians had by this time
been made more severe, because of the conviction
the Government had that they were enemies to the
reigning sovereign. Persons violating these laws
were liable to a penalty of six months' imprison-
ment for a first offence, and banishment to the
West Indies (for life) for a second offence.

Accordingly from various districts of the county
persons were brought to give evidence before the
Sheriff, as to whether they had heard or knew of
divine service having been performed by any
minister of the Episcopal communion, since the first
of September, 1746. The object of this was to
punish the twn-jurors, that is those pastor and



36

people who refused to ia\e the oath of allegiance,
and who continued to pray for the Prince, and not
for his Majesty King George and his successors. On
the thirty-first day of October, 1746, amongst a
great many others, there were two William
Thomson and James Beattio in Drumlithie who
were thus judicially examined at Stonehaven.
But the reply given by all of them on that occasion
was in the negative.

Two years later, however, three Episcopal clergy-
men in the county, including Mr Petrie, were tried
at Stonehaven before Sheriff Depute Young.
Evidence was forthcoming against the three, the
witnesses from Drumlithie against Mr Petrie being
James Dickson in Kinnionth ; James Campbell at
Mill of Glenbervie"7~an3~ Mr Eobert Murray at
Strcpcnds. These all declared that Mr Petrie had
preached in his house at Drumlithie.

The defence set up in favour of all three was the
same. They craved to be set free from the charge
in respect that all the witnesses were socii criminis,
in so far as they were guilty of offences themselves
on the statute libelled, as being undue hearers at
the times and places libelled, which subjected them
to the penalty of five pound sterling, and conse-
quently were gainers or losers by the cause, and
that they did not inform within five days,
and were there without his approbation or
knowledge. The Procurator - Fiscal, however,
repelled the defences, and the Sheriff
found that they were all competent witnesses and
continued the cause.

Whatever may have been the sentence pro-
nounced against Mr Petrie and the other clergymen,
they were at all events confined in jthe old Tolbpoth
at Stonehaven for six months during the winter of
1748-49. Their followers during their imprison-
ment gave them every attention, and ' ' contrived
to convey plenty o' a' thing to them." The
story of how the fisherwives contrived to
get their children secretly baptised by clamber-
ing up to the cell of ttyeir pastor is well
known, although this ceremony was chiefly per-
formed by Mr Troup and Mr Greig. On their
liberation they returned to their respective charges,
and preached to their adherents in private houses
Mr Greig preaching in the meeting house already
mentioned.

Matters went more quietly afterwards for the



37

Episcopal Church, although during these troubled
times the Church at large had been sadly stripped
and impoverished both in regard to ministers and
chapels. In 1088 she was governed by
two Archbishops and twelve bishops, and
served by nearly 1000 clergy, and tow
after the lapse of a hundred years was reduced to
sis Bishops and fifty clergy most of these living
in the North Eastern counties of Scotland Aber-
deenshire and the Meorns.

Great was the desolation of the Episcopal
Church in Scotland at this time. Nevertheless, here
and there over the laud, congregations were gathered
together, which allied themselves with the ritual
and practice of the English Church. Hence
arose the designation " English Kirk " as
applied even yet in Drunilithie and else-
where. These did not wish to throw in
their lot with the Scottish branch of
the church, and nothing was more natural than to
adopt the forms of the English Church, and hence
these were called the English Church in Scotland.
On the repeal of the penal laws most of these joined
again the Scotch Episcopal Church.

To take the place of the church destroyed by
Cumberland, the Episcopalians in Drumlitliie
worshipped in an adjoining building, now occupied
partly by Miss Annaudale. Part of this was
formerly the Parsonage. This building was gilted
by one Miss Turnbull, belonging to the
church, and resident in the parish of Kinneff
in which parish there were then a considerable
number of adhernts to the church. A gallery run
across the north and south end of the building,
access to the south gallery being got by an outside
stair. The pulpit stood on the west side, just
where the entrance to the house is at present. The
church or meetinghouse for very many years proved
of great service to the members of the church who
gathered there.

The Rev. liobert Spark had charge of the church
at Drumlithie towards the end of the 18th cenUiry.
He was a native of Craigo, being the son tf a djjw-
there. His lir.-t rhargti seems to have been the
mission station at IJ^djnyrp, then dependent on the
chui'ch at Laurencekirk. The penal laws at this
time were still tmre pealed, and tin; greatest caution
had to be observed iu carrying on his wurk. Infor-
mation was, however, lodged against Mr Spark,



38

and he was tried at the Circuit Court for having
performed the marriage rite. When on his way
riding between Stonehaven. and Aberdeen he passed
the couple whom he had united. As they were bent
on the same errand as himself he accosted them.
"This will be a sair day for me," said the
minister. Ow', fou will it be that, minister?
fa can say I am. married," replied the man.
and so it turned out as the man had anticipated.
No witnesses appeared, and the case fell to the
ground. Mr Spark continued to reside for some
years at Eedmyre and discharge the two -fold office
of teacher and pastor.

Subsequently he was called to Drumlithie, and
he continued there to discharge faithfully his duties
to his flock till 1817. By this time the congrega-
tion had been rallied together again. The penal
laws against the church had been partially
repealed in the last decade of the 18th century,
and in course of time Mr Spark had so
consolidated them that a new church was required.
This church was built in 1818, and forms now St
Jchn's Hall, and a part of the present Eectory. It
was turned into a hall for the use of the young
men some years ago.

Mr Spark, the previous year, was translated to
Laurencekirk, and held active charge there till
1833, when he resigned. He died in 1837 in the
eighty-first year of his -age and the fifty-seventh of
his ministry. He was married to one Jean Beattie,
a native of Laurencekirk. Her family was distantly
related to that of the poet Beattie. She died in
1838, the year after Mr Spark's death.

The strong Jacobite leanings of Mr spark were
transmitted to his family. His son, a surgeon in the
East India Company's service, died at Bombay in
1892.

From Fraser's History of Laurencekirk we take the
following anent his three daughters, Jean, Margaret
and Catherine. They possessed many interesting
relics of the olden time, and their minds were
stored with information on the more prominent
events of the last century, and about the principal
families of the county. Their Jacobite leanings
were retained until the end of their daj's, but never
offensively obtruded. Miss Margaret showed a
portrait to u friend, asking, as she held it out, " Do
you know who that is '( " " Oh yes ; it is the young
i'rotender ! " was the mischievous reply. She held



39

up both hands in amazement, exclaiming,
"What!" " I mean, Its Prince Charles Edward
Stuart." She calmed immediately "Ay, that
mmi do.

The first incumbent of the new Church was the

REV. ROBERT DYCE,

and during the next fourteen years he carried on
the work of the Church in a quiet and uneventful
way. He resigned the charge in 1832 owing to an
affection of the throat, and went abroad.

During the next two years the Church was served
by two clergymen who each stayed but a short
time. The Rev. David Buchan officiated till May

1833, and the Rev. John Oldfleld succeeded him
but only remained till March 1834. This Mr Old-
field was assistant to Mr Spark in Laurencekirk,
and seems to have worked the charge at Drum-
lithie at the same time as he helped Mr Spark.

In 1834 the

REV. WILLIAM WEBSTER

was appointed. He graduated M.A. at Aberdeen
University in 1828. He was ordained Deacon in

1834, and Priest in the following year by the Bishop
of Edinburgh. Mr Webster remained seven years
in Drumlithie when he was presented to the church
of St John the Evangelist at New Pitsligo. Mi-
Webster is still at Pitsligo, although he lie has
retired from the more active duties of the charge.

Following him came the

REV. ROBEKT KILGOVR THOM.
He was a native of Peterhead, and was born in 1819.
For a quarter of a century he ministered to the
church at Drumlithie, but in 18GG he was incumbent
ol St James' church, Stonehaven.

He was a physician as well as a minister, and
during that time he went in and out amongst tli
people in the neighbourhood, administering com-
fort and relief to their bodies an well as their souls.
He was a man universally beloved for his kind
works, and his memory is still held green in the
hearts of those amongst whom he laboured so loug.

Mninly through his exertions the present neat
church was built. It was erected in 1803 after
plans by the late, Mr Charles Brand of Fordoun, a
valued member of his congregation. The
church, which runs from east to west, is in
the Gothic style, and consists of a nave and
chancel, with vestry and organ chamber attached.



40

The east window of three lights was placed there
as a special memorial of the work of Dean Thorn.
The first is the baptism of Christ by the Baptist in
reference to the dedication of the church to St
John. The second represents the Crucifixion, and.
the third represents our Lord healing all manner of
sickness and disease in allusion to the twofold work
of the Dean as physician and clergyman. Under-
neath is this inscription:

" In memoriam viri admodum Eeverendi Roberti
Kilgour Thorn, Decani, Brechinensis, quondam
hujusce ecclesiac Parochi, nati, 15th Jan.,
MDCCCXIX, denati, 24th Jan., MDCCCLXXIV.

Which translated reads :

"In memory of the Very Eev. Robert
Kilgour Thorn, Dean of Brechin, formerly clergy-
man of this church. He was born 15th Jan., 1819,
and died 24th Jan., 1874."

Upon the present church is a shield charged in
pale with the arms of the diocese and those of the
late Bishop Forbes. It also bears his Lordship's
initials and those of the Dean, and the date of the
dedication of the church, 1863. The Dean is burried
in the churchyard adjoining the church where his
grave is marked by a handsome lona cross.

Two other windows in the chancel contain
memorials of former members of the congregation,one
of them representing Christ blessing little children,
being "to the greater glory of God, and in pious
memory of Robert Dyce Smith placed in the church
by his widow Margaret Smith, also in remembrance
of their two children 1891."

Mr Smith was long postmaster in the village, and
besides being a valued member of the Episcopal
Church, took a great interest in all thaj; was under-
taken for the good of the district.

Dean Thorn was succeeded by the

REV. JAMES GAMMACK, M.A.

He was incumbent from 1866 to 1883. Mr Gammack
graduated at Aberdeen University in 1857 and
studied theology at Trinity College Glenalmond.
Ordained Deacon in 1859 and priest in 18G1, he held
the charges successively of Tillymorgan in Aberdeen -
shire, and Pitlochry in Perthshire. In 1866 he
came to St. John's, Drumlithie.

Mr Gammack was a man fond of literary pxirsuit,
and specially devoting himself to antiquarian and
theological research. He was a corresponding



41

member of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland ;
and a member of the Cambrian Archaeological
Association. In addition he was the editor of
the revised edition of Jervise's Memorials of Angus
and the Mourn- \\-lnYli wa- ]mr(lv rewritten and
corrected by him. He contributed in 1877
a series of articles on Scotch, Irish, and
Welsh Early Christians to Dr Smith's
"Dictionary of Christian Biography," and another
series of articles on Celtic Subjects to Arch's
" Dictionary of Christian Antiquities." Mr Gam -
mack resigned the charge at Drumlithie in 1883, and
presently holds a charge in America, whither he
went.

The later incumbents of the church have been :
Rev. Robert C. Johnstone (1883-1891); Rev. William
Lumsden Walker (1891-1895.)

CHAPTER VII.

THE KIRK PATRON SAINT THE OLD CHURCH THE
DRY SUMMER OF 1826 EFITAPHS.

The patron Saint of Glenbervie Kirk was St
Michael, and this name is preserved in Michael
Fair, still held annually at Drumlithie, although
like other fairs the glory is departed from it.
Probably this fair had at one time been held at
Glenbervie. At Dellevaird stood St Mary's chapel,
and that place there is still a spring called " Mary's
Well.

The present

PARISH CHURCH

stands on a rather bleak spot 011 the north side of
road passing Glenbervie House. It was built in
1826 and is a substantial and commodious
building. During the summer of 1826
" the dry summer," or as it is some-
times significantly designated the " year of
short corn," the Rev. Mr Drummoud, then minis-
ter, preached to his hearers in the graveyard.

Amidst the

PICTURESQUE SURROUNDINGS

of that old churchyard from Sunday to Sunday,
during all that long summer did tfie worthy Mr
Drummond preach to his flock. And we have often
thought that there were here the elements of a
picture worthy of the brush of a Collins or a
Wilkie. One has seen weird and yet telling pictures
of the old Covenanters on the bleak hillside, stand-



42

ing not with the Bible and psalm-book only, but
also with the sword or the spear ; but here all fear
was absent, except perhaps the fear of God which
pervaded the sincere band of worshippers. The
troubled face of the stern Covenanter gives place to
the holy calm of the peaceful Christian ; the bleak
hillside is changed into the quiet God's acre ; while
the minister eagerly holds forth to his gathered flock
some resting on the mossy , tombstone, others
sheltered under the nodding trees.

At the sight of the greenness and gladness that
surrounds the city of the dead, he tells his hearers
of a fairer land, in which there shall be eternal day;
with the murmur of waters in their ears, he tells
them of the river of life of which if one should
drink he should never thirst ; as the lark rose,
soaring and singing from its grassy bed and mingled
betimes its song with that of the worshippers, he
spoke to them of the heavenly choirs, in the New
Jerusalem, and of the sweeter music there ; pointing
to the roofless Temple of God he told them of a
Temple of God not made with hands eternal in the
heavens ; and ere he handed round to them the
bread and wine on the calm bright Communion Sun-
day, he told them of the Bread of Life and the poured
Blood that would be unto them a sufficient and an
abiding spiritual nourishment.

The old church occupied a very attractive and
desirable spot. It stood beside the Manse 011 the
north bank of the Bervie, and was surrounded by
fine old trees, many of them still standing, round
which the ivy hangs in green profusion.

The interesting old graveyard surrounding it
slopes gently to the south, and contains many
curious epitaphs engraved on the tombstones.

The old church was partly rebuilt in 1771, and in
1794, as stated in Sinclair's Statistical Account was
" in good condition, but ill-contrived and too small."
The Manse was built in the first quarter of the
Eighteenth Century, probably about 1725. The
stipend in 1794 was 56 bolls of meal, 32 of bear,
and 43 17s lO^d in money, including 5 for com-
munion elements.

Tn the parish at that time there were 200 Scotch
Episcopalians, 1 Seceder, and 1 llomaii Catholic,
and as the population was then above 1300 the
remaining 1100 were probably connected with the
Parish Church, and as we have seen it was con-
sidered too small.



43

The church ran from east to west, the burial
vault of the Douglas family, forming the chancel
end of the kirk. This vault still stands covered with
ivy and shaded by trees. The only other part of
the church that remains is a pillar containing a brass
plate commemorating the members of the family of
Stuarts of Inchbreck.

There was a gallery in the church and an out-
side stair leading to the Glenbervie Loft. As was
usual in parish churches certain seats were allotted
to the poor, but the rest of the church was let. The
description given of the church seats in the old
Session Registers was very specific.

The following are some of the entries regarding
the letting :

" Long Dask alias Cowden's Dask, containing
five persons.

Robert Brand took 2 Rooms ;

James Ritchie took 2 Rooms ;

Robert Spark took 1 Room ;
whereto he has right without payment."

" Crooked Dask, including yt., under ye Stair,
containing 7 persons."

" James Lawrence in Easttown his right to a
Room in ye Crooked Dask (ut supra) was sustained
relevant. Likeways ye above said Robert Spark
was sustained for a Room in Cowden's Dask without
payment, both of ym having Acts of ye Session in
their favours."

The price of the seats in the Church was by no
means uniform, as the following resolution of the
Session will show. "The Session layes on half a
merk, Scotts, to be pay'd for each room in ye Dasks
in ye body of ye Church, except John Greig's,
which is only a groat per room. Likeways on ye
left 4 shills, Scotts, for each room in ye breists of
it, and 2 shills, Scots, for each room over ye whole of
ye rest of it.

Occaasioually also the Session was turned into a
Court before which certain of the congregation asser-
ted their rights to their seats. "Eodem die John
Brand in Foord and Robert Brand in Quithle brother
to ye said John Brand made it clearly evident
that ye Dask yt stands at ye back of Minister's
Dask did properly belong to ym, witnesses attesting
that ye said Brand's father bought from one
Robert Brand in Upper Kinmonth and possessed it
many years. Therefor ye Session continues, ye
said Brands in possession of it."



44

The two inscriptions in the Douglas vault having
been already noticed we will here give a few of the
more interesting

EPITAPHS
in the kirkyard.

1.

John S. of Eobert Heross in Lumgair, d. 1737,
a. 25 :

As many says, she who here lays

Was vertious, wise, and chaste ;
She being dead, we do believe

Hir soul to glory past.

An inscription from a table stone presents some
pretty long ages.

John Lyall, many years in Mill of Glenbervie,
died 13th October 1830 aged 84 ; Christian Austine
his wife died 3rd Nov. 1833 aged 79 ; Their family
George, merchant in Aberdeen died 1861 aged 78 ;
John, farmer, Mill of Glenbervie, died 1861, aged
81 ; Helen died 1863 aged 72 ; and David, merchant,
Aberdeen, died 1866 aged 80.
From a flat slab the following is taken.
Here lyes John Taylour, husband to Margaret
Blebear, sometime in Quithill, who dyed the 18 day
of Aprile 1727, and of age 59. This relict still in
road of duties bear for which she has obtained a
lasting name.

The next one relates to one Greig and his
colleague Watson, both joiners to trade, the latter
belonging to Kinneff .

In memory of David Greig : his age was 28 and
death sudden on the sea beach of Aberdeen, August
6th, 1818.

Young sprightly lads as you pass by
Stop and review how low I lie ;
My colleague fell close by my side,
At nine we were as brisk as ye,
At ten were in eternity ;
Swept by a strong refluent tide.

I twenty-eight
He twenty-four,
One fatal wave
Did both devour.

Consider then our sudden fate,
Think of your own ere yet too late ;
And by faith to the Saviour flee ;
And be that great redemption sought


1 2 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Online LibraryGeorge Henderson KinnearHistory of Glenbervie → online text (page 4 of 12)