Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 100 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 100 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


three horsepower electrical motor. He has an authorized Ford service station, and
carries Ford extras, besides a general line of auto accessories, tires, gasoline and oils.

ROBERT S. TYRRELL.— A hard-working, highly successful dairy-farmer who
has become a live wire in the community, is Robert S. Tyrrell. He was born at
Ferndale, Humboldt County, Cal., on July 3, 1871, the son of Ransel S. Tyrrell,
a native of Ohio, who removed to Wisconsin and from that state set out across the
wide plains with an ox team in 1859. He married Eliza J. Gill, and upon arriving in
California first settled at Rohnerville in Humboldt County, but later bought land at
Ferndale. He ran a farm there on the very site of the present town, and there he
and his good wife reared their nine children, two dying in early childhood.

The seventh in the order of birth, Robert, grew up on the home farm and
attended the grammar schools at Ferndale; and later he became a student at the
University of the Pacific at San Jose. In 1894 he was married to Miss Josephine
Worthington, a daughter of another family of pioneers known and honored in Hum-
boldt County; and after their marriage, he rented land for three years. Then he
removed to the Coquille River country, in Oregon, and bought a ranch where he
established a creamery which he ran for eight years. It was known as the Willowdale
Creamery, and enjoyed a patronage for miles around.

Mr. Tyrrell's next move was on account of his wife's health when he came to
the San Joaquin Valley, California, and for the next seven years he was extensively
engaged in dairying. He had 100 cows, and besides that he put in sixty acres in



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 893

peaches and vines in Madera County, and, with his characteristic energy, he improved
his 420-acre ranch and duly prospered. In 1917, however, he sold out and came to
the vicinity of Salida, where he acquired a ranch of eighty acres, which he brought to
a high state of cultivation.

Mr. and Mrs. Tyrrell are the proud parents of two living children, and the
envied among patriots for their contribution of a third who gave his life for his
country in the recent great War of the Nations. He was Harold H. Tyrrell, and
had been a student at Redlands ; he entered the army, served in France in a machine
gun battalion, and during the fierce battle on the Vesle River, he was struck by a Ger-
man shell. The Government, for eight months, reported him merely missing, and finally
he was officially reported as "killed in action." Ralph R., his younger brother, is a
student of the agricultural school of the State University at Davis, where he has won
his way with honor to the ranks of a senior ; and Ardys is taking a kindergarten train-
ing course at a private school at Berkeley. Mr. and Mrs. Tyrrell are members of the
Presbyterian Church of Modesto. In national politics Mr. Tyrrell is a Republican;
but he is such a devoted champion of the best for local development that he permits
no partisanship to interfere with his support of approved candidates and measures.
He is a member of the Milk Producers Association of Central California.

LEVI WINKLEBLECK. — An experienced real estate operator, whose principles
and methods, — so helpful, with his wide knowledge of local conditions, to inexperi-
enced, would-be purchasers, — are entirely consistent with his walk and profession as
an elder in the Church of the Brethren, is Levi Winklebleck, who resides at 1519 H
Street, Modesto, and keeps in close touch with all forward movements in Stanislaus
County. He was born in Darke County, Ohio, on March 13, 1863, and when four
years old was bereft of his father, Samuel Winklebleck, who came from Lebanon
County, Pa., after having been married in Montgomery County in that state. He was
a pious member of the Church of the Brethren, and left to a widow and eight chil-
dren the priceless heritage of an honored name.

The youngest of the family, Mr. Winklebleck began to work out in the woods,
carrying water to the men who cut and felled trees, and when old enough began to
haul chips and ties. The mother, Nancy Brumbaugh, in maidenhood, a native of
Montgomery County, struggled nobly to rear her family, and she eventually died at
the home of our subject, in Hartford City, Ind., at the age of eighty-seven. The
meagre earnings of the lad, through his very hard work, helped to support the family,
and so he had to content himself with the most limited opportunities for schooling,
largely obtained through the night school at Greenville, Ohio. When he struck out
for himself, he went to Hartford City, Ind., and contracted to supply railway ties for
the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. He built a sawmill there, and for years
handled ties exclusively, giving up the enterprise when he came west in 1908.

While in Blackford County, he united with the Church of the Brethren at
Hartford City, in 1885, and immediately became active in that organization. The
next year he was called to the ministry of the church, and at once established the
Bethel Center, and in 1895 formed the church at Hartford City. In 1888 he had been
ordained an elder, having risen from the status of a member to the position of deacon
and then minister in the first degree, and then mniister of the second degree.

At Hartford City, in 1883, Mr. Winklebleck was married to Miss Catharine
Waters, who had been born and reared in Blackford County, Ind., a daughter of Law-
rence and Eva (Cline) Waters. Her father was the first blacksmith at Muncie,
Ind., and he died at the home of our subject, at Hartford City, aged ninety-five years.
Six children blessed this union: Blanche, the eldest, died in her twentieth year at
Hartford City; Almeda is the wife of P. A. Havelick, a real estate agent at Indian-
apolis ; Edna also died at Hartford City, only twelve and a half years old ; Margaret
married Roy Garvey, a rancher of Empire; Helen is the wife of Worth Foster, a
civil engineer at Modesto ; Samuel H. is a sophomore at Stanford University.

Mr. Winklebleck does a general real estate business, with offices at Waterford,
and is at present engaged in subdividing a tract at Empire. In this great work of
extending the principles professed by the Brethren through colonization, he has



894 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

probably brought more good, substantial people to Stanislaus County than has any
other one man. He was one of the first three founders of the Indiana Church of the
Brethren to settle at Empire, the others being Philip Detrick, with his family, and
J. W. Deardorff and family, and they came to Empire in December, 1908. In part-
nership with L. J. Coffee, he erected the first store building at Empire, and he resided
in Modesto while laying out the townsite. He has helped to organize and establish
the church at Waterford, and is at present the elder in charge.

CLARENCE E. OBERG.— A hard-working, successful farmer who has thor-
oughly demonstrated his capacity as a good manager, is Clarence E. Oberg, a native
of Omaha, Neb., where he was born on January 8, 1876, the son of E. L. and Johanna
Oberg, farmer folks near Omaha. After years of honest endeavor E. L. Oberg and
his wife became pioneer farmers in the Hughson colony, where Mrs. Johanna Oberg
passed away in 1911, this being the first death in the place after the town was laid
out. The father continued to reside here, spending his last years with his son, Clar-
ence E., until his death, March 25, 1921.

Clarence went to the district school in the vicinity of their Nebraska home, and
he also took a business course in the Omaha Commercial College. Then, for ten
years, he was with the Union Pacific Railroad in their hotel department at Omaha,
where he was manager of the commissary department, and for two years thereafter
he had a grocery business in Omaha.

While in that city, on October 9, 1901, Mr. Oberg was married to Miss Alfhild
Headland, who was born at Burlington, Iowa, the daughter of Eric and Wilhelmina
Headland, and was educated in the Burlington schools. Her father was a tailor by
trade and for a while had his business in Burlington, but later he removed to Omaha.
In 1906 Mr. Oberg came to the Pacific coast, remaining at Los Angeles for six months.
Receiving an offer from his former employer, he accepted it and removed to Memphis,
Tenn., where for six years he was engaged in managing the commissary department
for the Illinois Central Railroad at that point. It was while in Memphis, as early as
1907, that he purchased a ten-acre tract of vacant land at Hughson, which he im-
mediately had set out. to peaches and grapes, hiring others to do it and care for the
orchard and vineyard until he should locate on the place. The extreme heat and his
wife's ill health caused him to resign his position after a faithful service of six years
and he came to San Francisco, where he was for two years a dealer in fruit and vege-
tables. He then went to Oakland and for two years conducted a grocery store in Fruit-
vale, so it was not until 1918 that he located at Hughson, purchasing a residence in
that town and moved into it. In 1920 he bought another ten acres, which he set out
to peaches and apricots.

In October, 1919, when Mrs. Oberg was visiting in Los Angeles and was about
to return home, she fell from a street car and fractured her skull, receiving such injuries
that she passed away within forty-eight hours. She was esteemed and beloved by those
who knew her, and a devoted mother to her two children, Margery and Lois, both now
in school. Both Mr. and Mrs. Oberg were Baptists.

ROY F. REYNOLDS. — Intimately associated with the development and growth
of California through two generations preceding him, his father having been one of
the first white boys born in Stanislaus County, Roy F. Reynolds, himself a native of
San Benito County, born in Hollister, February 23, 1888, is today one of the prom-
inent young business men of Modesto, senior member of the firm of Reynolds &
Prescott, owners and proprietors of the best equipped blacksmithing shop in Stanislaus
County. Mr. Reynolds has inherited those splendid traits of character which impelled
his forefathers to cross the plains and brave the dangers of a new land, and his business
has grown from a small start to its present large proportions through his own efforts
and through the reputation which he has earned for service and high grade work.

Mr. Reynolds is the son of David Russell and Nellie (Bustard) Reynolds, the
former born in Stanislaus County, about a mile north of old Grayson, on February 15,
1856. R. F. Reynolds' grandparents were Ephram Andres and Marine (Terry)
Reynolds, the former from New York and the latter from Illinois. They came to



I



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 897

California in 1854 and settled for a short time near Grayson, but later moved to the
Caliente Ranch in Santa Clara County, and became engaged in stock and cattle raising,
and also in the livery stable business in San Juan, conducting the latter as an adjunct
of the stock business. The son, David Russell Reynolds, attended the old Washington
College at Irvington for a time. In 1877 Ephram Andres Reynolds was smitten by
the hard times which befell all sheep men at that time, and lost much of his wealth,
and for the following six years David Russell Reynolds followed various occupations,
but in 1883 engaged in ranching in the Panoche country in San Benito County. After
a few years spent at farming, he engaged in the buying and selling of pelts, in which
he was very successful. In 1897 he came again to Stanislaus County and bought a
ten-acre farm near Modesto, which he operated until 1915, when he sold his land and
moved to Modesto, where he now resides. He is regarded as one of the successful and
substantial men of the county and is highly esteemed by all who know him. His wife,
Nellie Bustard, was the daughter of William and Anna Bustard, pioneer settlers of
Hollister, San Benito County, having come west from Tennessee. The subject of this
review was the second son born of their marriage, the first born being Russell, while
the younger members of the family are: Minnie, now Mrs. W. S. Hanson of Merced ;
Laura, now Mrs. Marvin Simms of Ceres, and Louis, a student in the Modesto
high school.

Ray F. Reynolds attended the grammar school at Modesto, and when only thirteen
years of age became apprenticed in the blacksmithing trade and served for four years
under M. H. Noonan. He then started in business for himself, having his first shop
at Ninth and L streets, where he was located until 1919. He then, with E. S. Pres-
cott, built his present commodious shop, 50x90, located at 1218 Ninth Street. Here
they installed the latest methods and machinery and are engaged in general black-
smithing, making a specialty of building trailers and automobile wheels.

On May 11, 1912, Mr. Reynolds was married to Miss Ruby Prescott, in
Manteca. Mrs. Reynolds is a native of Los Angeles, and the daughter of E. S. and
Martha A. Prescott, her father's family being among the early pioneer settlers in
Stanislaus County, Prescott precinct being named in their honor. Mr. and Mrs.
Reynolds have had two sons born to them, Roy and Russell, but both passed away in
infancy. They own the residence at 925 Needham Street, where they dispense a
charming hospitality to a wide circle of friends. Mr. Reynolds is especially active in
the Odd Fellows, being a member of Wildey Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Modesto; the
Encampment, in which he was elected chief patriarch in 1921, and to Stockton Canton;
while both he and Mrs. Reynolds are prominent in the Rebekah lodge.

CARL W. SHANNON. — An enterprising citizen of Modesto, who is especially
fortunate in a pleasing, tactful personality, is Carl W. Shannon, senior partner of
the firm of Wood, Shannon & Duncan, leading undertakers of Modesto and Stanis-
laus County. The two proprietors of this firm are Carl W. Shannon and A. F.
Duncan, and they own the premises at 921-923 Twelfth Street, where they maintain
a modern funeral home, it being the finest establishment of its kind in the county.

Carl W. Shannon was born at Coldwater, Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada, the
son of George H. Shannon, a native of the North of Ireland, where he was a black-
smith and farmer. He invented what was known as Thompson's harrow, as well as
other clever devices, and is still' living, honored by all who know him, in Canada,
where his inventions have proven very valuable to agriculture. He had married
Miss May Bailey, and she died, the mother of this only child, when he was three years
old. His father married again and there are several children by that marriage.

In 1899, Carl Shannon was brought to California and Tulare County, by his
aunt, Mrs. Henry Brubaker, of Dinuba, and went to live with his grandmother,
Deborah Shannon, who owned a ranch between Visalia and Tulare. It was the old
John Hays Hammond ranch, and is thus associated with the family of this eminent
engineer. Here Carl worked and grew up, while he also attended the grammar
school, and for three years the high school at Dinuba. Having finished his studies he
decided to become an undertaker, a brief practical experience, while in the high school,
as assistant to Mr. Dopkins, the Dinuba undertaker, having enabled him to form the



898 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

proper judgment; and after convincing himself that he had the requisite sympathy
and human kindness, he went to San Francisco in 1909 and engaged with N. Gray &
Company, the leading undertakers, to finish his apprenticeship. At the end of three
years he took a special course in embalming with Prof. E. B. Hughes of the Warsham
School of Embalming in that city, and with five years of practical work to his credit,
received his certificate as a licensed embalmer in 1915. In July of the same year he
came to Modesto and on the first of November purchased a half interest in, and
became a half owner of, his present business. Mr. Duncan is also an undertaker
and embalmer, and is equally fortunate in his personality, so that the firm bid fair to
be of inestimable service to the community in the future, as they have in the past.
Mrs. Shannon is also connected with the firm and is in attendance at the embalming
and dressing of all cases of women and children. In January, 1920, Mr. Shannon
was appointed public administrator and coroner of Stanislaus County.

Besides being a member of the Modesto Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary
Club, Mr. Shannon is prominent in fraternal circles and holds membership in Stanis-
laus Lodge No. 206, F. & A. M. ; Modesto Chapter No. 49, R. A. M. ; Modesto
Commanderv No. 57, K. T. ; Modesto Pyramid No. 15, A. E. O. S. ; Electa Chap-
ter No. 72, O. E. S. ; and Ahmes Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. of Oakland. In Odd
Fellowship he is a past noble grand and a trustee of Wildey Lodge No. 149, I. O.
O. F. ; a member of Modesto Encampment No. 49 and Canton Ridgelev of Stockton,
and he is a member of Modesto Lodge No. 1282, B. P. O. Elks.

STONEWALL JACKSON BOONE.— One of the well-known and interesting
ranchers of Stanislaus County and vicinity is Stonewall J. Boone, a descendant of
the Daniel Boone and Carter families. His birth occurred on September 5, 1863,
in Mexico, Mo., his parents being Wellington Treeson and Elizabeth (Car-
ter) Boone, early settlers of Missouri and direct descendants of the famous hunter
and trapper, Daniel Boone, and the Carter family. His father, together with two
brothers, James and William, came to California in 1849 around Cape Horn, but
after three years they returned to Missouri via the Isthmus of Panama, William
passing away on the return journey and was buried in the Pacific Ocean off the coast
of Lower California. In 1865 Mr. Boone's father crossed the plains in a prairie
schooner with an ox team, settling for a short time in Solano County and afterwards
worked down in Contra Costa County near Danville, where he ranched until he
died in 1881. Stonewall J. Boone was educated in the grammar school near Dan-
ville, known as the Green Valley school, and remained in the vicinity working on
ranches until he was nineteen years old. He made various trips south to San Joa-
quin Valley and during the harvest seasons of 1881 and 1882 he worked at the Cot-
tonwoods near Hill's Ferry; the following year he spent in Woodland and from 1888
to 1891 he was engaged in the lumber business in Visalia and also did teaming in
that vicinity. In 1893 he came to Newman and worked on the Draper ranch for
fourteen years or until Mr. Draper retired from the farm, when he leased the
ranch from Mr. Draper and has worked it ever since, and since Mr. Draper's death
has leased it from the estate. At the present time he cultivates 1,600 acres of land
devoted to barley and wheat and, being interested in the raising of mules, has
approximately fifty head of fine mules on the ranch, which he raised himself, as fine
a bunch of work mules as can be found anywhere, having four ten-mule teams and
using a Hauser-Haines combined harvester drawn by thirty-two mules for harvest.

On September 28, 1888, he was married to Miss Etta Ray, who was born in
Sutter County, Cal., the daughter of Wm. and Mary Ray, early settlers of that
county. His second marriage was in Sacramento and united him with Mrs. Jessie
May See on September 18, 1909, a native of Kentucky, who came to California in
1907. Mrs. See is the mother of three children by a former marriage: Raymond,
Omar and Irvin and twin daughters, Jennie and Alma, blessed the union of Mr.
and Mrs. Boone. While Mr. Boone is a Democrat politically, he prides himself on
the fact that he has never yet voted a straight ticket, always giving his vote to the
man he thinks best fitted for the office. Fraternally he is a member of the Wood-
men of the World and Woodcraft of Newman, Cal.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 899

EDWARD C. DAVIS. — As the enterprising secretary of the Merchants' Asso-
ciation of Modesto for almost a decade, Edward C. Davis is well known throughout
this part of the state. He is a native son of Stanislaus County, and descended from
one of the early pioneer families of the state. His parents, Franklin C. and Roselle
(Covert) Davis, came first to California from Arkansas in the early '60s, crossing
the plains in the prairie schooner of pioneer fame, facing the perils and vicissitudes
of the long journey with courage and fortitude. They did not find conditions here
to their liking, however, and after a brief stay they returned to their former home in
Arkansas. However, they soon discovered that their taste of the great unbounded
West had but whetted their appetites for more, and so returned after a brief time,
locating in Stanislaus County. Here Mr. Davis settled on a farm near Stockton and
a few years later near Salida, where he resided for many years, and was one of the
first directors of the Modesto Irrigation District.

It was on this family farm near Salida that Edward C. Davis was born, Septem-
ber 9, 1886. He attended the grammar school at Salida, and later the Modesto high
school, followed by a year in the Van der Nailen Engineering College at Oakland,
where he took special work in engineering. After completing this work he returned
to Modesto and engaged in professional work, being associated for a time with the
La Grange Water and Power Company. At the end of two years this company was
taken over by the Sierra and San Francisco Power Company, and Mr. Davis turned
his attention to new fields, entering the insurance business as agent for the Aetna
Life Insurance Company, with whom he has been actively associated since 1912, and
has been more than ordinarily successful.

The marriage of Mr. Davis was solemnized in Modesto, September 9, 1908,
uniting him with Miss Goldie Minniear, a native of Kansas, and the daughter of
Charles W. and Sarah Minniear, who came to California in 1893. Mr. and Mrs.
Davis are the parents of a daughter, E. Roselle, now in the Modesto grammar school.

Mr. Davis has taken an active part in public affairs in Modesto since his return
from college. Politically he is a Democrat, but in all matters of local interest he
stands for clean, businesslike administration of civic affairs regardless of party lines.
He is a member of the Masons and affiliated with the Modesto lodge of that order.
He was elected secretary of the Merchants Association in 1913, and has served con-
tinuously since that time. Both Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Presbyterian
Church in Modesto, and enjoy the friendship of a wide circle of friends. The Davis
family dates back to a period preceding the American Revolution, with several ances-
tors participating in that great struggle for liberty.

EUGENE RICE. — As the assistant cashier of the Modesto Branch of the Sacra-
mento-San Joaquin Bank, Eugene Rice has forged ahead rapidly since coming to
Modesto and is recognized as one of the leading young men in financial circles of the
county. Mr. Rice comes from an old Illinois family, both his parents, John Henry
and Sarah (Ingles) Rice, being descended from early pioneers of that state. His
father is a harness manufacturer at Augusta, Hancock County, 111., where Eugene was
born, April 14, 1885. He received his early training in the Augusta public schools,
and after graduating from the high school took a thorough business course at Brown's
Business College at Galesburg, 111. He then became associated with the drug business
as a clerk and for three years was so employed.

The opportunities offered by the rapidly growing West appealed to Mr. Rice,
and in October, 1909, he came to California with Charles E. Rice, well known as a
former manager of the Turner Hardware Company. Our subject became associated
with the First National Bank of Modesto, beginning at the very bottom of the bank-
ing business and mastering every detail as he has climbed toward the top. For a time
he was bookkeeper, then was promoted to the management of the bookkeeping depart-
ment, later becoming receiving teller, and finally taking the place of J. A. Dunn as
paying teller. In 1916 he became assistant cashier of the First National Bank of
Modesto, and when that institution was purchased and absorbed by the Sacramento-
San Joaquin Bank, and made into their Modesto Branch, Mr. Rice continued as
assistant cashier of the new institution.



900 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

The marriage of Mr. Rice was solemnized at Modesto, January 15, 1912, his
bride being Miss Ida Dunlap, a native daughter of California, born at Oakdale, and
the daughter of J. W. and Nellie Dunlap. She passed her girlhood at Modesto, receiv-
ing her education in the grammar and high schools of her native county. Of this



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 100 of 177)