Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 115 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 115 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


friend, and his demise on April 11, 1917, was widely regretted. They had a daugh-
ter, Veda, who died at the age of eleven years, on September 8, 1914.

Mrs. High still owns the ranch but now lives at her home on Fourth Street,
Modesto, where she dispenses a cheering hospitality, and maintains her work as
treasurer of Morada Parlor No. 199 Native Daughters of the Golden West.

OLIVER JOSEPH MUSCIO.— A broad-minded, progressive and representative
dairy farmer is Oliver Joseph Muscio, of the Langworth precinct, who operates exten-
sively where he resides, about three miles west of Oakdale. A native son, he was
born at Olema, Marin County, on August 24, 1877, the son of Joseph Muscio, a
pioneer dairyman who came to Marin County from Santa Cruz County in 1866, a
native of the Canton Ticino, Switzerland. When sixteen years old, he came to
California, locating in Santa Cruz County. There he learned dairying, cheese and
butter making, and, becoming expert in this work, he had no trouble in disposing of
all of his wares during the Civil War period, when there was a general shortage of
food supplies. He was married at Olema, in Marin County, to Mariana Albertoli,
also a native of the Canton Ticino, who became our subject's mother; and she died
when the lad was ten years old, leaving eight children, all now living. Dante is a
merchant at Pt. Reyes, in Marin County. Eda is the wife of James Bulletti, a
retired dairyman, and resides at Modesto. Oliver Joseph was the third in the order
of birth. Lillian resides at Modesto with Mrs. Bulletti, and Romaine, who is a
dairyman and a poultryman in the suburb of Modesto. Henry is the proprietor of
the M. & F. Garage on Seventh Street, in Modesto. Lena is Mrs. Thompson and
resides at San Francisco, and Camillo lives in Modesto. Joseph Muscio is still living,
aged 79 years, at Pt. Reyes.

Oliver J. Muscio grew up in Marin County on his father's dairy farm, where he
had plenty of hard work, but labor through which he learned the valuable arts of
cheese and butter making, and was well initiated into every other branch of dairying.
During these years he attended Olema public schools. His father shipped many tons
of butter to the San Francisco market, selling the same through San Francisco com-
mission men. In those days the dairymen did not have separators nor present-day
conveniences. The milk had to be panned and skimmed by hand, the pans after-
wards carefully washed and scalded, so as to be absolutely sanitary, and the churning
was done by hand, until they began using horsepower, which was a great labor-saving
improvement. In 1900 Oliver J. rented a dairy farm for himself on the extreme point
of Pt. Reyes, maintained there 160 milch cows, and made butter which he, too, shipped
to the San Francisco market, and this place he operated for ten years.

In time, too, Mr. Muscio was married to Miss Addie Pedrotti, born in Olema,
Marin County, by whom he had two children. Genevieve died at sixteen years in
February, 1919, and Oliver J. died when a babe. In 1907, Mrs. Muscio also passed
away. Mr. Muscio afterward married Miss Gilda Pedranti, who was also born in
Olema, Marin County, the daughter of Angelo Pedranti, who is still living, a retired
dairyman, at Olema. Four children were born of this union. Oliver Joseph and
Owen Francis, twins ; Lilly Gida and lone E.

Mr. Muscio came to Modesto seven years ago and engaged in dairying. He
rented eighty acres of alfalfa land and kept sixty cows. Five years ago he moved up to
the Patterson farm at Oakdale, taking a five-year lease of the land, comprising
100 acres of the Patterson ranch; he had 100 milch cows and he kept fifty head
of young stock. In 1920, he bought about sixty-four acres of the old Crawford Ranch
from J. M. Murtha, and only recently he has taken possession and moved onto the
land, and is checking it and putting in alfalfa. He keeps graded Holsteins and a full-
blooded Holstein bull, about 100 head all told, and such is the quality of his stock that




\£^txc^O£t7^



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1035

when he sold out on the Patterson ranch, before moving, he received on the average, at
the auction sale, not less than $115 per head for his cows. Mr. Muscio's wife has
been an able helpmate, and much of their success is due to her. She ably assists her
husband and takes an initiative in their various undertakings. Mr. Muscio paid $400
per acre for the ranch recently purchased by him, and he has already refused $500 per
acre for the same, much of the choice land lying in the Stanislaus River bottom. Not
only did Mr. Muscio early join the Milk Producers' Association of Central Cali-
fornia, thereby becoming a charter member, but realizing that cooperation is the sal-
vation of the dairy industry in the San Joaquin Valley, he got all his neighbors to join
with him, and is a member of its board of directors. He was brought up in the Roman
Catholic Church, but in recent years he has broadened in his views; he seeks to apply
the Golden Rule in his dealings with others, and he thus endeavors to live the Chris-
tian life.

OSCAR HOGIN. — As the genial host of the Hotel Modesto for the period from
November, 1917, to February, 1920, Oscar Hogin counts among his friends and
acquaintances the leading traveling men of the coast, business and professional men
of California who have chanced to be guests at Modesto's leading hostelry during the
past three years, and a score of the leading politicians of the state, for, together with
his capable wife, he made the traveling public welcome to the metropolis of Stanislaus
County. Since early in 1920 he has been residing on his sixty-acre ranch on Water-
ford Road, four miles east of Modesto, where he has been proving that he has not
forgotten his skill as a farmer, nor lost his ability for good hard work. He is thor-
oughly enjoying the country life, and boosts the "back-to-the-farm" movement.

Mr. Hogin was born near Modesto, August 13, 1873, and was reared and
educated in this county, where he has passed almost his entire life. He is the son
of Bailey Peyton Hogin, who came to Stanislaus County from Gordonsville, Smith
County, Tenn., where he had been born and reared. He practiced law in both Ten-
nessee and Arkansas until the time of the Civil War, when he enlisted in the Con-
federate Army, from the latter state, and served during the entire period of the con-
flict. After the war he was married in Tennessee to Miss Margaret Ellen Maddux,
of that state. Her ancestors, like those of Mr. Hogin, had come from Virginia to
Tennessee, her grandfather having originally come across from Ireland, where his
family was an old and honored one. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey Peyton Hogin came to
California in 1870, with their eldest son, Edgar, now a rancher in Merced County.
Six children were born to them in California, all natives of Stanislaus County: Ava,
now Mrs. Frank Thornton, residing on a ranch six miles from Modesto; Oscar, the
subject of this review; G. M., a partner of Oscar in the farming industry, and resid-
ing in Modesto ; Ora, the wife of J. W. Coffee, residing five miles east of Modesto ;
Stella, married to S. O. Wooten, a rancher near Modesto, and deceased since 1905;
and Corinne Margaret, now Mrs. A. Griffin, of Brooks, Alberta, Canada.

Our Mr. Hogin was reared on his father's farm and educated in the public
schools of the county, including the Modesto high school, and completed a course at
the Ramsey Business College at Stockton. His marriage occurred in Modesto, in
September, 1896, uniting him with Miss Minnie McKimmon, a daughter of R. J.
McKimmon, a native of Memphis, Tenn., and a California pioneer and a farmer
near Salida. Mrs. Hogin was born near Salida, where she was reared. Her mother
was Celia Dye, a native of Ohio, who was married to R. J. McKimmon at Stockton,
Cal., in 1853. Mr. McKimmon himself had come around Cape Horn to San Fran-
cisco in 1851. For three or four years he mined and prospected, and then came to
Stanislaus County and engaged in farming near the present site of Salida. Mrs. Hogin
is one of ten children, all bom at Salida, and all well and favorably known in this
county. Her father passed away at Modesto several years ago, at the age of seventy-
five, and the mother in January, 1919, at the age of eighty-two. Mrs. Hogin possesses
the generous hospitality for which her Southern ancestors are so justly famous, and
her home is always a center of social activities.

Mr. Hogin was for some years in partnership with Henry T. Crow, whose
sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Together they erected the Modesto Hotel in



1036 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

1913-14, opening it June 1, 1914. In February, 1920, the partnership was dissolved,
Mr. Crow taking over the hotel, which he now conducts, and Mr. Hogin taking the
sixty-acre ranch, where he now resides, as a portion of his share in the partnership.
Mr. Hogin also is in partnership in several undertakings with his brother,
Gratton M. Hogin, including 385 acres ol land on an island above Crows Landing
bridge, which they are planting to alfalfa and prunes, and anticipate that it will be-
come of great value. Mrs. Hogin also owns valuable business property in Modesto,
on Eleventh Street. Mr. and Mrs. Hogin take an active part in all civic and social
affairs in Modesto. They are the parents of one child, a daughter, Beatrice, now the
wife of W. H. Conner, associated with Mr. Hogin in the home farm management.

JOHN E. BURK. — A successful rancher with a previous varied and valuable
experience is John E. Burk, who was born in the northern part of Sweden on No-
vember 28, 1857, the eldest son of Eric and Mary (Johnson) Burkmann. He at-
tended the elementary schools for three months of each year, during the winter time,
until he was thirteen years of age, and enjoyed the comfortable home life of a family
belonging to a line of prosperous farmers, and after serving for a year in the Swedish
National Guard, came to America when he was twenty-two years of age, and settled at
Chicago. He entered a large iron foundry and for twelve years worked at the
foundryman's trade ; but on account of broken health, he moved out to Western
Nebraska and homesteaded 160 acres in Cheyenne County. In time he proved up on
this land, and although compelled to climb numerous hills, so to speak, he made
steady progress in acquiring something for himself. Selling out in 1902, he came to
the Pacific Coast the following 5'ear, and settled in Stanislaus County.

Since then, through his own unaided efforts, Mr. Burk has developed his farm of
forty acres into a fine and very productive fruit and grain ranch. He is a con-
scientious student, profits by what others have learned and given out, works hard
and intelligently, and operates in the most practical manner, and while affording
the best example to others, attains certain and definite results for himself.

At Turlock, in 1916, Mr. Burk was married to Miss Christina Hall, a native
of Sweden who came to America in the late nineties and settled here with a brother
and sister. Her engaging personality soon made her many friends, and with Mr.
Burk she enjoys a large circle of pleasant acquaintances. Mr. Burk was granted
American citizenship at Chicago in November, 1884, and he has since performed his
duties with the suffrage according to the leadership of the Democratic party.

JOSEPH M. VINCENT.— Locating at Ceres, where he has since made his home,
in the fall of 1904, Joseph M. Vincent, prominent implement merchant, service sta-
tion proprietor and owner of the Ceres waterworks, came to Stanislaus County from
Sonora Town, Tuolumne County. He bought the blacksmithing business of Averill
Brothers & Hall, the oldest and best established shop of its kind in this part of the
county, and greatly developed and extended the business. In 1905 he became engaged
in the implement business, being the pioneer in Ceres in this line.

However, the growing town offered other outlets for the constructive ability of
Mr. Vincent. In 1919 he disposed of his blacksmith business to Kraft & Fletcher.
The development of the Ceres waterworks has been as follows : He started with
power furnished by windmills, but has since installed an electric power plant with
a gas auxiliary. He has two wells with a capacity of 100,000 gallons per day, and
his customers have increased from fifteen to more than one hundred. His enterprise
is rated as a public utility and is under the control of the State Railroad Commission.
The city of Ceres is greatly indebted to the enterprise and foresight of Mr. Vincent,
and to his energy and self-sacrificing spirit, for, although the increased cost of con-
struction has minimized his profits, and he has realized only about three per cent on
his investment, the city of Ceres has water, which means fully as much to this loyal
citizen as higher rates of interest.

Mr. Vincent is a native of California, and descended from one of the early pioneer
families. His father was Antone Vincent, a native of Flores, Azores Islands, who
ran away from home and came to California as a navigator in the days of the gold




/^



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 115 of 177)