Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 121 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 121 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of registered Poland-China hogs, and high grade horses. Gradually, however, he
developed his place into a fruit ranch of a very high grade, with the land under inten-
sive cultivation. He now devotes his time to raising peaches and plums.

Mr. Tupper is a native of Minnesota, born at Lac Qui Parle, an old trading
post of early Indian days. His father, who was a Civil War veteran, a farmer and
carpenter by trade and a pioneer in McLeod County, Minn., where he went through
all the hardships of pioneer life, until his health broke, and he moved to Oregon when
the son was a little lad, and there he died at McMinnville. From Oregon the widow
moved to California in 1883, locating near Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, and here
she bought a ranch and eventually died, and from this location J. B. Tupper eventu-
ally came to Stanislaus County.

In 1916, Mr. Tupper was married to Miss Estella Chute, the daughter of the
Rev. and Mrs. E. Chute, former foreign missionaries to India, where Mrs. Tupper
was born, at Palmur, May 14, 1888. She was educated in America, a graduate of
Nashville College, Nashville, Tenn., and of the San Jose State Normal, and taught
two terms in Stanislaus County. She bore her husband three children, all of whom
are now deceased, Jerome, the first born having lived to be three years of age, and
the two little daughters, Laura J. and Frances, passing away in infancy. Mrs. Tupper
herself passed away September 13, 1919, at the family home in Ceres.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1091

Naturally of an energetic and progressive nature, Mr. Tupper has been identified
with the best interests of the county since coming to Stanislaus County, and his success
in the fruit business has made his position one of much influence. He is keenly alive
to all that stands for the welfare and development of Ceres, and is an enthusiastic
booster for this section of the country, where he is one of the pioneers in the Turlock
Irrigation District. Ever since locating in Ceres, Mr. Tupper has been identified with
the Baptist Church, and succeeded C. N. Whitmore, at his death, as superintendent
of the Sunday school. He is also a member of the official church board. In former
years, he was active in Republican politics, serving on County Central Committee as
delegate to county conventions, and trying to maintain a high standard of officials.

ALBERT W. PERSSON.— A rancher whose years of experience have helped
him attain success, is Albert W. Persson, now living half a mile northwest of Denair,
who was born in Randolph, Riley County, Kans., on June 21, 1862, the son of Louis
and Nellie (Tuveson) Persson, both natives of Sweden. Louis Persson came to
America in 1854, located at Princeton, 111., where he was married to Miss Tuveson,
who came out to America a year or two after his arrival. Not long afterward, Mr.
and Mrs. Persson removed to Riley County, Kans., and engaged in farming near
Randolph ; and there they both died, blessed with friends. Mr. Persson in particular
M-as well known as a veteran of the Civil War; he volunteered in defense of the
Union, served as a member of Company H of the Thirteenth Kansas Infantry, and
on returning to his home after the war went partly blind as the result of severe
exposure in active service.

After attending the public schools, Albert studied for a term in the Agricultural
College at Manhattan, and later for another term in Campbell University at Holton,
Kans. From schooldays he was used to farm work ; and when he grew up he took
up farming in Riley County, and labored at that until he was twenty-five years of age.
In 1888, he migrated to Morris County, Kans., and having located at Burdick, he
enjoyed unusual success for twelve years as both a farmer and a merchant. Then, in
1900, he came West to California and Red Bluff, and after that to Oakland and then
to Turlock ; and owns twenty-eight and a half acres northwest of Denair.

At Randolph, January 20, 1887, Mr. Persson was married to Miss Matilda
Wolstrom, a native of Illinois, and seven children blessed their union. Etta May is
Mrs. Arthur Rapp of Turlock and the mother of three children. Clarence, the avia-
tor, served as a noncommissioned officer in the U. S. Navy during the recent World
War. Roy Louis, who is now at Rebel Creek, Nev., belonged to the medical corps of
the U. S. Army. Alma is the wife of A. S. Dicey. Carol is an ex-service man in the
U. S. Navy, having served with the American fleet in the work of mine-laying in the
North Sea ; and he is now a student at the University of California. Ralph is a
rancher at home, and John is a student at Denair.

Mr. Persson who, by the way, is a strong advocate of temperance, is a member
of the Swedish Mission Church, and has been the superintendent of Sunday schools
for thirty-two years. In national political affairs Mr. Persson prefers to be guided
by the platform of the Republican party ; he supports any good candidate locally.

OLIVER L. POLLARD. — A Californian whose years of strenuous activity,
crowned with success, have enabled him to retire, is Oliver L. Pollard, who was born
in Pettis County, Mo., on July 3, 1870, the youngest son of John M. and Amanda
E. (Porter) Pollard. Both parents were born in Bedford, Va., and both the paternal
and maternal ancestry dates back to the earliest history of that town, where John M.
Pollard was particularly honored for his service in the Confederate cavalry. Soon
after the close of the Civil War, Mr. Pollard returned to his home and was married ;
and a year later the young couple migrated to Missouri, and settled on an extensive
ranch near the site of the present city of Sedalia. The father has since passed away,
but Mrs. Pollard is still living.

Oliver Pollard went to school in Jasper County, Mo., and in 1891 was graduated
from a business college at Carthage, Mo. On January 1, 1896, he was married to
L. Maud Martin, who was born on March 14, 1875, near Joplin, Jasper County,



1092 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Mn., the daughter of George B. and Mary E. Martin, both natives of Ohio. Her
father moved to Illinois and served as a volunteer in the Union Army, but after
three months he was wounded in active service and returned home. Then he married
and in 1869 the young couple moved to Jasper County, Mo.

In 1901, Mr. and Mrs. O. L. Pollard came out to California and Fresno and
here he engaged in the wholesale grain and hay trade, buying and shipping for a period
of six years, and during that time Mr. Pollard made many trips through the San
Joaquin Valley and to Sacramento ; in fact, all over the state, and had a good chance
to study the relative claims of the various districts. In this way he became acquainted
with Stanislaus County and Denair, and in 1907 he removed to the town, and
developed two farms into hay ranches. He also engaged as a contractor in general
development work, using his horses and scrapers to grade the land, which at that time
was covered with raw grain stubble and needed checking before it could be put into
alfalfa and irrigated. He bought and sold hay, shipping from Denair on the Santa
Fe and from Turlock on the Southern Pacific; and the home ranch on which Mr.
Pollard now resides is known as the Haymarket Ranch. Since 1917 Mr. Pollard has
been retired, although occasionally supervising some interest. A Democrat in matters
of national political import, Mr. Pollard is too broad-minded to allow partisanship to
interfere in local affairs. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Turlock.

JOHN SAXER. — One of the wealthy ranchers of Stanislaus County, and suc-
cessful breeder of registered Holstein-Friesian cattle, is John Saxer, who reached
California in 1893, a stranger in a stranger's land. He had in his pockets just seventy-
five cents, with never a friend or relative to whom he might turn, but he did have
courage and strength, ambition and the determination to win, and he soon secured a
job in Marin County as a milker and buttermaker, in both of which lines he was
skilled. From this humble beginning he has steadily climbed upward, until today he
is an influential member of the state, county and national associations of Holstein-
Friesian breeders. He is the owner of a valuable eighty-acre ranch and owns a fine
herd of Holstein-Friesian cattle of a particularly high strain of milk and butterfat
producers, his herd sire being valued at more than $1,000, and his cows at from $500
to $1,000 each.

Mr. Saxer was born at Alstetten, Canton St. Gallen, Switzerland, August 27,
1869, a son of Ulrich and Anna (Graf) Saxer, farmer folk, who resided on their farm
until they passed away. Mr. Saxer was the youngest of the five children. He attended
school during the winter months, but most of his education has been obtained through
wide reading and actual business experience, and from the age of twelve he paddled
his own canoe; he left Switzerland when he was sixteen and went into Germany,
where he worked on dairy farms in Wiesbaden and Mannheim, and learned to be an
expert butter and cheese maker. Later he went into France, where he also worked on
dairy farms, and while there the desire to come to America took definite form and in
1891 he set sail from Antwerp, and landed at Castle Garden, New York, the latter
part of March of that year. His destination was Tell City, Perry County, Ind.,
where he had an uncle, John Graf, engaged in farming, but after two winters in
Indiana, the tales of California had so taken hold of him that he determined to come
to the land of sunshine and flowers, and in May, 1893, he reached San Francisco.
After one season spent in Marin County, Mr. Saxer went down to Guadalupe, in
Santa Barbara County, where he was employed as cheese maker in the Guadalupe
Cheese Factory. He next went to Arroyo Grande, working on the great 5,000-acre
ranch, "Ranchita," owned by Mr. Hasbrook.

It was while here that Mr. Saxer was married to Miss Bertha Miller, a native of
Mayville, Dodge County, Wis., a daughter of William and Augusta (Gossert) Miller,
who were born near Soldin and on the River Oder, Germany, respectively. They
were married in Wisconsin, being farmers in Dodge County until 1885, when they
removed to Oregon, settling near Eugene, in Lane County, purchasing a farm and
engaging in farming and dairying. In June, 1909, he sold and removed to Woodburn,
Ore., where he resided until his death in August, 1914, his widow now residing in
Walla Walla, Wash. Of their eight children, Mrs. Saxer is the second oldest and




&+#«. Stfc



&jtU^i^



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1095

the only one in California ; her two youngest brothers were in the army during; the
World War. She received her education in the public schools of Lane County, and
cSming to California to visit her sister, Mrs. Louise Ridgley, at Red Bluff, she became
acquainted with Mr. Saxer, which resulted in their marriage at her parents' home
December 25, 1902. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Saxer rented the Ranchita
ranch, or rather the dairy farm which was the major part of this ranch, which he
operated for a period of two years with great success. He kept 150 cows, employed
six or seven men, and operated the cheese factory himself. He then rented the
Huasna ranch of 4,500 acres for cash, stocking it with his own cattle and horses and
outfitting it with his own farm machinery, and operating it successfully five years.

It was April 1, 1914, that Mr. Saxer came to Stanislaus County and bought his
present place, eighty acres, which lies on Beckwith Road, seven miles northwest of
Modesto. He ran a dairy of 120 cows for a time, but in 1918 went into the breeding
of registered Holstein-Friesian cattle, in which he has been so successful, owning at
this time some of the best milk and butterfat producers in the state, his herd number-
ing forty, all of his own breeding. His herd sire, Segis Dutch Ormsby, H. B. No.
278753, by Segis Pontiac De Kol Dutch, and his three nearest dams have yearly
records of over 1,000 pounds of butter a year. His dams' record is 32.28 pounds of
butter in seven days and 634 pounds of milk in seven days. He owns Johanna De Kol
of Edelweiss, 31.68 pounds of butter and 616.15 pounds of milk in a week, a grand-
daughter of King of the Pontiacs, one of the greatest transmitting sires in America.
One of his daughters is Dutch Skylark Ormsby, the world's champion butter producer,
also owning many others of equally fine strain.

Mr. and Mrs. Saxer are the parents of four children, all daughters, but at this
time Mr. Saxer is not without help on the farm, for the eldest daughter, Olga
Theresa, is financially interested in the dairy ranch with her father and his active
associate in its management, and is a young woman of great poise and ability. She
owns the valuable cow, Moorland Colantha Rose, H. B. No. 380984. Miss Saxer,
who is a graduate from the Salida grammar school class of 1919, is intensely interested
•n fine bred Holstein-Friesian cattle and assists her father faithfully. She feeds and
milks Rose, who has produced 32.01 pounds butter in seven days, and 132.56 pounds
butter in thirty days During the test she gave 122 pounds of milk in twenty-four hours.
Naturally, Olga Saxer is very proud of her record-breaking cow, Rose. The second
daughter, Elsie J., is in school in Salida; the third daughter, Josephine, died at the age
of four in 1914, and the youngest is Emma Josephine, with her mother at home. Mr.
Saxer gives no small degree of credit for his success to his faithful wife, who has been a
true helpmate and encouraged him in his ambition to succeed, personally working with
him hand in hand to acquire the independent fortune they now possess. Mr. Saxer and
his family occupy a high place in the esteem of the countryside, and are a family of
unusual ability and interest. Mr. and Mrs. Saxer were reared in the Lutheran faith ami
adhere to the principles of tha-t religion, and the family are strong Republicans.

NORMAN E. JOHNSON. — Stanislaus County owes much of its attraction as
a highly-favored section for homes to its far-seeing, enterprising merchants, among
whom may well be mentioned Norman E. Johnson, the junior member of the firm of
the Crouch & Johnson Mercantile Company of Denair. He was born at Empire
Prairie, Andrew County, Mo., the son of William B. Johnson, a native of Wisconsin,
who was reared on a farm, and as a mere youth volunteered for service in the Union
Army and served as a noncommissioned officer in the Forty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry.
On his return at the close of the war to his home in Waukesha County, a year later,
he married Miss Anna Crouch, also a native of that state. In 1868, the young couple
migrated to Andrew County, Mo., and near Empire Prairie they began their new
home life. They farmed on 160 acres, and they raised grain and stock; and there
our subject spent most of his boyhood and learned to accomplish the hard work of
the farm. He also became a student at the near-by private Normal School, and in
1895 received therefrom the B. S. degree. *

For the next nine years, Norman E. Johnson was active as a teacher, in Andrew
County district, and in June, 1899, he was married to Miss Blanche Baker, who was



1096 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

born on September 2, 1870, in Pike County, Ohio, the daughter of James E. and
Sarah J. (Cameron) Baker. Her parents emigrated from their native state of Ohio
to Andrew County, Mo., in 1872, and identified themselves with that section of th*e
country in an enviable manner. In 1907, Mr. Johnson, who had been in U. S. postal
work, and also in a mercantile establishment near Denver since 1903, came out to
California and pitched his tent at Denair, in Stanislaus County; and now he is a
partner with Roy A. Crouch in the handling of general merchandise, and has for
years helped to conduct a thoroughly modern and very serviceable business for Denair
and the surrounding territory. Their store has 3,600 feet of floor space, and they
have also a roomy warehouse adjoining. They enjoy a large, lucrative trade which
they have built up by courteous, straight-forward dealing, handling only A-l fancy
and staple groceries with hardware and dry goods.

Independent in politics, an active member, with Mrs. Johnson, of the Mission
Church Association of Denair, and a live wire in the Modern Woodmen of America,
all of which enables him constantly to exert a stimulating influence for the betterment
of the present, Mr. Johnson may look back with some complacency to his paternal
ancestry leading to the Colonial period, when the progenitors of this family of John-
sons came from England. On the maternal side, his ancestors were also British and
came from Kent. Mr. Johnson's mother was the first child born to the Crouch fam-
ily after their arrival in Wisconsin from England.

A. WALTER HOSMER.— Born in San Diego County, near Old San Diego,
on December 25, 1865, A. W. Hosmer has been intimately connected with the growth
and development of this great state for more than half a century. He has been one
of the extensive grain farmers in this county, operating as high as 2,400 acres at a time.
For eight years he farmed 1,600 acres in wheat on the West Side in Stanislaus
County, in partnership with E. W. Brush of Westport. In 1903, Mr. Hosmer
retired from such strenuous activity, and has since been engaged in dairying. He
owns a fine forty-acre ranch in Orr precinct, seven miles south of Modesto, one mile
east of the Crows Landing Road. For several years he was engaged in the breeding
of high-grade Holstein cattle, and his dairy herd is one of the finest in the county,
containing some very splendid specimens of this breed. Since 1914 his principal crops
have been barley and beans, with some alfalfa.

Mr. Hosmer is the son of Richard Newell Hosmer, a native of New York State,
who came to San Francisco, at the age of fourteen, in 1854, making the journey
around the Horn as a cabin boy in a tramp schooner. He went into the mines and
met with some success, and in 1859 he went to Southern California, settling near San
Diego, where he engaged in general farming, grain and stock raising. Here he met
and married Miss Theresa Collin, and of their union were born two sons, the eldest
being the subject of this review, and the other F. W. Hosmer, manager of the Bank
of Italy at Modesto.

It was in 1882 that Mr. Hosmer's father came to Modesto, returning to Cali-
fornia after having spent from 1869 to 1882 in Pike and Adams counties, III. The
father passed away January 19, 1883 in Modesto. His mother had passed away in
1869, and the father had married a second time, and a daughter by this marriage
resides on Crows Landing Road. A. W. Hosmer was a young man of seventeen when
he came to Modesto from Illinois, where he has since made his home. He began at
an early age to work with his father, and for the neighbors when he could be spared
from home. Arriving in Modesto, he remembers long days spent on the header,
working from sun-up till sun-down, and receiving for his labors $1.50 a day. The
most improved methods of gathering the crops at that time was the combined har-
vester and reaper, and he operated one of these in Stanislaus County. Sixty-five days
at forty acres a day usually made up his season's work. Later, Mr. Hosmer began
to lease land and farm for himself, usually confining himself to grain raising, in
which he was considered an expert, and for many years was one of the leading grain
raisers of the San Joaquin Valley.

The marriage of Mr. Hosmer occurred in 1891, uniting him with Miss Rose
Vivian, the daughter of John and Mary Vivian, well-known California pioneers, and



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1097

sister of S. Vivian, whose career is reviewed in this volume. Of their union have been
born two daughters, of whom the elder, Leila, is now the wife of R. G. Benson, Jr.,
of Modesto, while the younger, Doris Evelyn, is attending the Ceres high school. Mr.
Hosmer is a loyal and patriotic American in every sense of the word and liberally
supported the cause of America in the great World War. He has always based his
business and social activities upon a practical application of the golden rule, and is
recognized as possessing an unusually splendid sense of fairness and justice in all his
dealings with his fellowmen.

JOHN EDWARD ANDERSON.— An interesting, historic old English family-
long identified with Scotland is well represented in the life, ambitions and accomplish-
ments of John Edward Anderson, the freeholder living four and a half miles east of
Montpellier. He was born there, on his father's ranch, on July 30, 1875, the son of
Hendrick Armstead Anderson, a native of Tennessee, where he was born in 1827,
who accompanied his parents, when he was ten years old, to Bastrop County, Tex.,
whence, as a young, unmarried man, he migrated to California, traveling through New
Mexico to the Pacific Coast, and thence by vessel up the Coast to San Francisco. He
located in Stanislaus County, in 1850, near the Tuolumne River, and soon afterward
married Mrs. Charlotte (Fine) Young, a widow with three children — Henry N.,
Matilda and Emma Young. Eight children were born of this union, six daughters
and two sons, and among these John Edward is the oldest child. For a while, like so
many thousands of others, Hendrick Anderson sought his fortune in the mines; but
by 1872 he devoted himself exclusively to farming. He died in 1893, and four years
later, at Waterford, on January 21, his good wife passed away.

John being the oldest of the family, and a large one at that, he was called upon
early to shoulder the heavier responsibilities of the household ; in consequence of which
he attended only the district school and a term, in 1890, at the Chestnutwood Busi-
ness College. At Merced, on April 21, 1896, he was married to Miss Alice Sargent,
who was born in Merced County just twenty years, to the day, before. She is the
daughter of the late J. G. Sargent and Alice G. (Swett) Sargent, now a resident of
Modesto. The union has been a happy one, productive of three children. Edna May
has become the wife of Raymond H. Laughlin, the rancher at Montpellier; Verna I. is
a Modesto Business College student, and Robert Edward in Dickinson school.

The Anderson Rancho comprises 960 acres, and is the original farm on which,
as part of the home place, Mr. Anderson's father erected their residence in 1874.
Anderson and Turpen, early pioneers closely thrown together, were the purchasers
of three sections of fine land; and ten years later, after Mr. Turpen's death, Mr.
Anderson received his share, or one-half of the 1,920 acres. Holt caterpillar tractors
are used to cultivate the rich soil; and wheat, barley and oats are the chief products.
Mr. Anderson belongs to the Hickman and Waterford Center of the Stanislaus Farm
Bureau, in which he has taken a live part; and as clerk of the board of trustees he has
done very commendable work in the establishment of the new Dickinson school, on
whose board he has served for twenty years. In politics, Mr. Anderson is independent
in choice and action. Hendrick Armstead Anderson was an honored member of the
Knights of Pythias at Turlock. John Edward belongs to the Odd Fellows at
La Grange — the first I. O. O. F. lodge, by the way, to organize in California.

WILLIAM E. CAMPBELL. — A native son who, by hard work and close atten-
tion to the wishes and wants of his patrons, has risen to an enviable degree of pros-
perity, is William E. Campbell, proprietor of the Bald Eagle Meat Market at Oakdale.
He was born in Livermore Valley, Alameda County, on September 27, 1863, the son
of William Campbell, a native of the north of Ireland, who crossed the great plains
to California in 1849, and teamed in and out of the mines. Then he returned East
to Philadelphia and was married to Miss Margaret Bates, a native of Iowa, and
together they came out to California in 1853. Mr. Campbell took up farming at
Dublin, near San Lorenzo, and there he lived to be seventy-six years old. His good
wife died in 1907, aged seventy. They had five children, William being fourth.



1098 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

He grew up in Dublin, in the Livermore Valley, until he was twenty-seven years
of age, and in June, 1890, he came to Knights Ferry, where he worked out, for a while,
at the blacksmith's trade. In time, too, he became the proprietor of a shop and con-
ducted the same in a first-class manner. From 1900 to 1904, Mr. Campbell had a
well-equipped smithy in Yosemite Valley; but 1905-06 he was back at Knights Ferrv.

On May 1, 1907, Mr. Campbell and T. B. Boone bought the Bald Eagle Market,
which was started by Oramil McHenry, and eight years later, on June 15, Mr. Camp-



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 121 of 177)