Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 140 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 140 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


for a number of years had charge of the steam and electric power engines at the Col-
ton Cement Works. From 1904 to 1906 Mr. Barmore was chief engineer for the
City Electric Light Plant at San Bernardino. In the fall of 1906 he removed to
Hermiston, Ore., and there for a couple of years he was employed upon the construe-



1260 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

tion of the dam which was to store water for the reclamation of some 18,000 acres
of waste land, and had charge of the steam engines which furnished the power for the
work. In 1909 Mr. Barmore entered the U. S. Reclamation Service as an electrical
and steam engineer at Twin Falls, Idaho, and for one year he was busy in extension
work on power lines. Coming to Keyes, Stanislaus County, from Redmond, Ore., in
1912, Mr. Barmore soon became the owner of twenty acres. His two sons also own
forty and sixteen acre tracts, and for eight years have been doing diversified farming.
At Poplar Grove, 111., in the fall of 1885, Mr. Barmore was married to Miss
Amy Covey, a native of that attractive town, who was reared and schooled in the
same district and then attended college at Rockford, where she was duly commis-
sioned to teach. At the time of her marriage she had been active in her profession for
three terms. Five children blessed their union. Pearl, the mother of two children, is
the wife of Harry Straw, the prosperous retail lumber dealer at Hermiston, Ore.
Walter is a civil engineer in the service of the Government and is engaged on the
Boulder Creek Canyon Reservoir at St. Thomas, Nev. Harry is a farmer at Keyes
and has a farm of sixteen acres. Raymond is also at Keyes and manages his trim
ranch of forty acres. And William, who is fourteen years of age, attends the Tur-
lock high school. Mr. Barmore is a member of the I. O. O. F., which he joined
in 1885, and he has been a Master Mason since 1882. He is a Republican.

SAVILLION COOK DALBY. — Among the representative ranchers of his sec-
tion of the country is Savillion Cook Dalby, who has leased 160 acres below the
canal west of Newman, on which he raises alfalfa and grain. He is also engaged in
dairying on a partnership basis and has at present fifty milk cows, which he will
increase to 120 cows. Previous to engaging in dairying he raised hogs on a large
scale, continuing to raise a large number on his ranch for the market. Mr. Dalby
was born on February 9, 1879, on the Dalby ranch about four miles north of Newman,
the son of Samuel Dalby, and was reared and educated in that vicinity. At the age
of eighteen he left home to make his own way and at first worked on various ranches,
later leasing land which he farmed for himself. His father, Samuel Dalby, a native of
Boston, Mass., enlisted in a Massachusetts regiment during the Civil War, and soon
after his term of service was completed he came in a sailing vessel around Cape Horn
to California. Coming to the West Side in Stanislaus County, he engaged in sheep
raising at Hill's Ferry, where he bought Government land at three dollars an acre,
now worth from $500 to $1,000 an acre. He was married to Mrs. Fredericka
(Fink) Kniebes, who was born in Wisconsin. After their marriage they located on a
ranch four miles west of Hill's Ferry, which they improved to alfalfa. Here they
followed farming until they sold it and retired to Newman. He died there August
19, 1919, while his widow is still living. He was a Hill's Ferry Lodge Mason.

On August 20, 1901, in Modesto, Mr. S. C. Dalby was married to Miss Alice
Gill, the daughter of John and Kate Gill, natives of Iowa. Mrs. Dalby was educated
in the grammar school of Newman and is the mother of one child, Dorothy. Frater-
nally Mr. Dalby is associated with the Woodmen of the World of Newman, and
politically he is an independent voter.

FIRST NATIONAL BANK AT TURLOCK— COMMERCIAL BANK OF
TURLOCK. — The first banking institution to be opened in the Turlock Irrigation
District was the First National Bank of Turlock, organized in 1905 by Oramil
McHenry of Modesto, associated with Theodore Turner, J. P. Islit and J. P. Fuller.
Mr. McHenry was the first president and C. Oscar Anderson the first cashier. Mr.
McHenry died the following year and in March, 1906, David F. Lane became presi-
dent. Shortlv afterwards, the controlling interest in the bank passed to C. H. Sharp
and S. Prentis Smith, the former of whom was made president. During the same
year, the controlling interest in the bank was purchased by Horace S. Crane and
several other local people. On December 2, 1906, Mr. Crane became president, hold-
ing this office until July, 1914. The directors elected at that time were E. B. Osborn,
A. Chatom, J. F. Carlston, and C. V. Lundahl. F. W. Hosmer succeeded Mr. Ander-
son as cashier.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1263

Owing to the fact that at that time the National Bank Act did not permit real
estate or farm loans, for which there was considerable demand in so purely an agri-
cultural section, it was determined to convert the First National Bank of Turlock into
a state institution. Accordingly, in March, 1907, the National Bank charter was
voluntarily relinquished and the Commercial Bank of Turlock was organized with the
same officers and directors.

In 1909 the board of directors was increased from five to seven members, W. W.
Cottle and J. N. Lester being chosen for the new places on the board. C. H. Geer
was elected to succeed A. Chatom as director when Mr. Chatom resigned. The fine
two-story bank building at the corner of Center and Main streets was erected in
1910 at a cost of $75,000.

In June, 1914, Howard and T. B. Whipple acquired the controlling interest in
the bank, and in the spring of 1918, owing to the growth of business, the entire interior
of the bank was remodeled and redecorated.

In July, 1918, a new corporation, the First National Bank at Turlock, organ-
ized and owned by the stockholders of the Commercial Bank of Turlock, was opened,
taking over the commercial business of the Commercial Bank of Turlock. The char-
ter for the Commercial Bank of Turlock was retained, however, for the use of the
savings department and the two branches of the Commercial Bank of Turlock, which
had been established at Denair in 1912 and at Hilmar in August, 1916.

In June, 1919, F. W. Hosmer resigned as cashier and was succeeded by L. T.
Brown. The present officers are: Howard Whipple, president; T. B. Whipple, vice-
president; L. T. Brown, cashier; W. W. Ferguson, assistant cashier; Arthur Auster-
land, assistant cashier. The directors are H. S. Crane, C. H. Geer, H. M. Hatch,
S. A. Hultman, E. B. Osborn, Howard Whipple and T. B. Whipple. From a modest
beginning of two employees in 1905, the active force at the home office and the two
branches has increased to twenty-three. The growth of the institution may be taken
as an index of the growth of the Turlock Irrigation District, with the fortunes of
which the First National Bank at Turlock has always been very closely identified.

MARTIN NELSON. — An energetic contractor whose popularity has contributed
to keep him exceedingly busy, is Martin Nelson, of 1525 Morris avenue, Modesto.
Martin was born near Hakanryd, Skane, Sweden, on November 6, 1885, the son of
Nels Mortenson, a farmer of that locality; and there had a comfortable home, and
was able to acquire a good education in the excellent schools of that country.

When seventeen years old Martin started out to make his way in the world, and
for three years in his home town served an apprenticeship to a cabinetmaker. In 1907
he came out to the United States and settled at Red Wing, Minn., and once estab-
lished, turned his attention to carpentry. He then followed carpentering about a year
in Red Wing. Then he came on west to Colorado, and at Denver, in assisting to
build choice homes, he spent two years in carpentering, and while there attended night
school to perfect himself in English. He then came on to Salt Lake City, Utah,
where he spent a year and a half at his trade; and in 1911 reached California, and at
San Francisco started building for himself, being associated with his brother, Hans,
under the firm name of Nelson Brothers, and also attended night school there, studying
drafting and architecture. From the beginning they specialized in first-class homes,
and in the course of time put up scores of homes in Richmond district and Westwood
Park on lots they owned in the Bay city. In 1918 the brothers dissolved partnership
and Martin Nelson located in Stanislaus County, while Hans Nelson continued busi-
ness in San Francisco. It was in 1918 that Mr. Nelson located in Turlock and for
a year helped make things hum there ; then he came to Modesto, and ever since then
he has been very active and prominent in building circles here, doing business indi-
vidually under the old firm name of Nelson Bros. Again he specialized in fine homes,
and has acquired an enviable reputation for erecting most artistic bungalows. Mr.
Nelson has just completed one of the most attractive bungalows in the city, where he
resides with his family.

At San Francisco in April, 1913, Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Betty Pearson,
a native of Hastveda, Skane, Sweden, near the vicinity of Mr. Nelson's birthplace.



1264 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

She came to Marathon, Iowa, in 1904, afterwards removing to Denver, and later
still to Salt Lake City. As early as 1910 she made a trip to Los Angeles, but later
went to San Francisco, and there she renewed the acquaintance with Mr. Nelson,
which had begun in Salt Lake City, a friendship that resulted in their marriage.
They have been blessed with two children, Martin Phillip and Hugh Kermit. The
family are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Nelson is a Republican in matters
of national political import, but too broad-minded to be other than nonpartisan in
local affairs.

JONATHAN B. HUFF.— A young man who believes that hard work, perse-
veiance, and frugality will in time win success is Jonathan B. Huff, who is operating
two farms in the Empire section of Stanislaus County, in the East Empire precinct
about one mile northeast of that city. He was born on April 22, 1873, near Savon-
burg, Allen County, Kans., the son of Thos. G. and Elizabeth (Baughman) Huff,
both natives of Ohio. They were the parents of three sons: Harry H. is in the hard-
ware business at Savonburg, Kans.; Johnathan B. of this review, and Martin Luther,
a rancher at Empire.

A short time after his birth, Mr. Huff's parents moved back to Ohio and lived
in that state for a number of years, moving back to Kansas again when he was only
eleven years old, and there he attended the public schools of Allen County. He grew
up on his father's farm in Kansas and being handy with tools, he became a carpenter
and worked at the carpenter trade several years in that state, then coming to Cali-
fornia in 1904 and settling at Glendale, near Los Angeles, he again resumed his old
trade of carpentering and worked in this business in all for twenty years.

Mr. Huff's marriage occurred at Glendale, when he was united with Miss
Elizabeth J. Reigle, who was born in Ohio and came here in the year of 1905. She
is the sister of Mrs. Martin Luther Huff, mentioned elsewhere in this work. Mr.
and Mrs. Huff have one child, John Robert, who is attending the Union grammar
school at Empire. Upon coming to Empire, Mr. Huff bought twenty acres north
of Empire, then in 1920 he bought an additional ten acres on what is known as the
Bilicke Tract, a half mile north of Empire. He has been engaged in the dairy busi-
ness, stock raising, poultry and diversified farming but now he is changing his crops
to trees and vines. He is making the change gradually, in the meantime relying
mainly on the alfalfa, poultry and dairy products. Before coming to Empire he gave
considerable time to building and carpenter work but now his entire time is given
to the care of his two farms. Politically Mr. Huff is a stanch Republican.

FRANK C. MILLER. — A man of sterling worth who has risen to an honored
place in the community through his diligence and perseverance is Frank C. Miller,
born in Germany, December 15, 1874, the eldest of the six children of Fred and
Frieda Miller, a dairy farmer located four miles north of Modesto, who came to
America when Frank C. Miller was only six years old and, coming direct to Stanis-
laus County, have contentedly lived there ever since.

Having passed his boyhood days in Stanislaus County, Mr. Miller is indebted
to the public school of Langworth precinct, Stanislaus County, for the educational
opportunities which he enjoyed and which qualified him for life's practical and respon-
sible duties. He began life by working during the summertime on ranches, and was
employed by the late Oramil McHenry on the great Bald Eagle Ranch, helping to
set out the fig trees in the celebrated fig orchard located on this ranch, which is, with-
out doubt, the largest and finest fig orchard in America. Having made his own way
in the world ever since a lad of fifteen years, his steady progress and finally his success
is even the more praiseworthy for having accomplished these ends by his own labors,
beginning as a night watchman for the Sierra Railway at Oakdale, where he worked
for two and a half years, then rose to fireman, which station he occupied for a period
of four years, after which he was promoted to locomotive engineer and has been
steadily and continuously on the job ever since, covering a period of a quarter of a
century. Being the engineer in charge of the freight engine that moves the freight
train, on the Sierra Railway from Oakdale, where it connects with both the Santa Fe



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1267

and the Southern Pacific to Sonora and at times as far as Tuolumne, which is the
end of the line, he travels fifty-seven miles from Oakdale to Tuolumne, through a
very scenic and interesting portion of California. Among some of the most interesting
sights to travelers are the great sawmills, the lime kilns, and gold ore (quartz) mines.
Two of the sawmills, the Standard and Hetch Hetchy, average six carloads daily.
Mr. Miller's whole time and attention is given over to the duties and study of rail-
road work, and his has been an active and useful life.

O. W. BEACH. — A first-class mechanic, well-informed through travel, with such
a stock of original ideas that he has easily become an inventive genius, is O. W. Beach,
the proprietor of the Broadway Repair Shop, who first came to California in 1892.
He was born at Springfield, 111., in 1854, the son of George Beach, a native of Mary-
land, who was a wheelwright. He had married Miss Phylette Goodell, who was
born in New York State; and having migrated to Illinois, they died in the Prairie
State. Five of their seven children are living, and the subject of this interesting review
is the second youngest. He was brought up at Springfield, and there attended the
public schools; and at nineteen started out to make his own living. He chose the
blacksmith trade, and as a journeyman traveled from place to place through many
states, and by the age of twenty-five, he had been in twenty-seven, besides old Mexico.

Mr. Beach was first married in Lyons, Kans., to Miss Martha Chilly, and there
he maintained a smith)' until his wife's health failed, when he removed to Denver, and
for the same reason continued to come West until, in 1892, he came to California. He
spent some time in San Diego, and then in Riverside, and there he was busy as a
blacksmith; and when he had nicely established a well-equipped shop, his faithful wife
died, despite the efforts he had made to save her.

He had then the responsibility of five children ; and after removing to Los Ange-
les and Ventura, he there married Miss Charlotte Raddick, a native of Nebraska. He
then continued blacksmithing in Los Angeles, and later removed to Orange County.
In 1918, he located in Turlock and purchased his present business, which he con-
ducted in partnership with his son. He has done a general trade, but made a specialty
of automobile springs, auto-truck bodies, and all kinds of automobile repairing.

Being of an inventive turn, Mr. Beach has originated many useful appliances,
including a sanitary toilet seat, and he has perfected the invention of an automatic
land-leveler said to be the best for its purpose anywhere. He has completed the second
Beach land leveler and after trials they find it does all that he expected it would. Run
by either tractor or horse power, it scoops and dumps automatically and can be oper-
ated by one man who also operates the tractor. He has demonstrated that he can
accomplish twice as much in the same given time as with any other leveler made.

Socially, Mr. Beach is a companionable, neighborly fellow, and a welcome mem-
ber of the Knights of Pythias. He likes Stanislaus County, and leaves nothing undone
to increase its attractions for other folks.

ETIENNE LACOSTE. — A man who has thoroughly caught the spirit of the
West and is making a success in the business life of Modesto is Etienne Lacoste, who
was horn at Iherre, Basses-Pyrenees, France, September 24, 1878, the oldest of seven
children born to Salver and Marie (Gastolovere) Lacoste, who were highly respected
farmer folk in the south of France. The mother passed away in 1893, but the father
is stil! hale and hearty and actively engaged as an agriculturist. Etienne spent his
boyhood on the farm and being raised to outdoor work in that healthy climate of the
Pyrenees region, grew up to be a very large, powerful and athletic man. When twenty-
one years of age he responded to the call and entered the Seventh Regiment of the
French army, where he served for three years, when he received his honorable dis-
charge. Returning home, he continued to assist his father on the farm for three years,
during which time he saved all the money he could to defray his expenses to California,
having become intensely interested in the Pacific Coast region through reports from
his countrymen who returned and spoke of opportunities that awaited young men here.

Arriving in San Francisco in December, 1905, Mr. Lacoste made his way to
King City; he was employed by a sheepgrower for eighteen months and then went



]268 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

to Nevada in the employ of Mr. Pon for three months, when he returned to San
Francisco, where he began the bakery trade, in which field he has since become so
successful . He was for a year in the French Bakery on Broadway and High Street,
and then with the Bascou Bakery on Church Street, San Francisco, another year.
Next he was with the Parisian Baking Company on Broadway between Powell and
Stockton, and then nearly two years was baker for Laraburu on Third Avenue.

While living in San Francisco, in September, 1908, Mr. Lacoste was united in
marriage with Miss Catherine Pochelu, also a native of Basses-Pyrenees, France, born
at Iholdy, the daughter of Cadet and Marie Sabarotz Pochelu, members of an old
and honorable family who were well-to-do farmers. The father has passed away,
while the mother is still living at the old home. Of the eight children born to this
worthy couple, seven are living, of whom Catherine is the next to the oldest and she
was the first member of the family to come to California, arriving in San Ardo,
Monterey County, in December, 1906. It was in the land of sunny California where
she met Mr. Lacoste, the acquaintance resulting in their marriage.

On May 22, 1911, Mr. and Mrs. Lacoste came to Modesto and immediately
started a new bakery. He named it the Modesto French Bakery and it has since be-
come the leading business of its kind in the city and is very popular and well patronized.
His first place of business was at 619 Tenth Street, where they continued until October,
1917, when they moved into larger quarters, their present place being at 832 Tenth'
Street. This was remodelled into a most modern plant with two ovens, and they
bake 4,000 loaves a day, although that can be doubled if necessary. Their retail store
is well arranged and is very inviting. Mrs. Lacoste is a woman of much native
ability and business acumen, who also gives her time to the business, and Mr. Lacoste
gives no small degree of credit to her for his success. He is a member of Wildey
Lodge of Odd Fellows in Modesto and the American Order of Foresters, and he also
is an enthusiastic member of the Modesto Chamber of Commerce and Board of Trade.

DR. A. J. ROUSSE. — A worthy representative of the profession he has chosen
who may justly be proud of a fine war record, is Dr. A. J. Rousse, who was born in
St. Marys, Kans., June 13, 1886. His father, Ernest C. Rousse, was born in Catillon,
Nord, France, coming to Kansas when twenty-one years of age, and there he after-
wards married Miss Ella Verschelden, who was a native of Flanders, Belgium. After
his marriage he engaged in farming in Kansas for two years and then removed to
Flagstaff, Ariz., where he was emploved as a stationary engineer for eight years.

In 1889, Dr. Rousse came to California, locating at San Luis Rev, where he
engaged in farming and stock raising, as well as horticulture, and there the parents
still reside. Of their eight children, Dr. Rousse is the oldest. When seven years of
age he was sent to Belgium, where he attended school for five years at the city of Ghent,
after which he returned to his native country, joining his parents, who had located
in San Luis Rev, Cal., completing his education in the Oceanside high school, after
which he followed ranching with his father. Always interested and a lover of horses
and sympathetic in alleviating their ailments, he read veterinary medicine and finally
determined to make a study of veterinary science, so in 1910 he entered the Kansas
City Veterinary College in Kansas City, Mo., where he was graduated in 1913 with
the degree of D.V.M. Returning to California, he located in San Diego, where he
was city dairy and meat inspector for nearly two years, and then located in Hemet.
where he practiced until the fall of 1916, when he came to Modesto and became
associated with Dr. Haney as Haney & Rousse, practicing veterinary medicine until
June, 1917, when he volunteered his services to the Veterinary Corps of the U. S.
Army. Joining the colors at Camp Kearney, he was commissioned second lieutenant
and later first lieutenant, afterwards serving on the border in Texas until after the
armistice, when he was returned to Camp Kearney, where he received his honorable
discharge in August, 1920, after three years of service, and immediately returned to
Modesto and resumed his practice. In December, 1920, he moved to Turlock and
formed a partnership with Dr. J. W. Roberts, as Roberts & Rousse, and there they
maintain a veterinary hospital and are meeting with exceptional success, Dr. Roberts
having already been well established there in his profession.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1271

In August, 1921, their veterinary hospital and office building were totally de-
stroyed by fire. Nothing daunted, they immediately rebuilt. The buildings are of
concrete and brick, 60x100 feet. Their offices and store building are on South
Broadway, while the veterinary hospital and blacksmith shop is in the rear.

In San Diego, Nevember, 1919, Dr. Rousse was united in marriage with Florence
McDermott, who was born in Tulsa, Okla., a lady of culture and refinement, and
both take part in civic and social affairs. Dr. Rousse is a member of the Knights of
Columbus in Modesto, California Veterinary Association and American Legion.

CARL JOHN LUNDGREN.— A man of sterling worth and integrity was the
late Carl John Lundgren, a native of Sweden, born in Nordland January 6, 1857.
His father, Peter Lundgren, was engaged in lumbering and sawmilling in Sweden,
but spent his last days in Ohio. Carl John received a good education in the excellent
schools in his vicinity until the age of sixteen, when he entered the local iron works,
becoming a roller man. Coming to Worcester, Mass., when twenty-two years of
age. he went to work in the roller mills. In time his adeptness and knowledge of the
business were appreciated and he was made head roller.

In Worcester he was married in 1880, being united with Miss Anna Hedlind,
who was also born in Nordland, the young people having been acquainted in the old
home. Her father died in Nordland, while his widow came to the United States and
spent her last days in Turlock, dying at the age of ninety years. After nine years in
Worcester, Mr. Lundgren removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where for four years he was
head roller in the Baker Rolling Mills and then removed to Newburgh, N. Y., where



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 140 of 177)