Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 151 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 151 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to Minnesota. He immediately went to work in a sash and door factory in St. Paul
and there learned the carpenter's trade. After ten years he removed to Isanti, where
he farmed, in time becoming owner of 125 acres.

Mr. Carlson was married in 1899, being united with Miss Ida Peterson, born
in Isanti County, a daughter of August Peterson, pioneer homesteader of Minnesota.
They continued to farm their place, meeting with success. Having become interested
in Turlock, they came hither and purchased ten acres, where they erected a com-
fortable residence and raised peaches, apricots, cantaloupes and grapes.

Their marriage has been blessed with four children: Esther Henrietta; Ralph
Gordan ; Reynold Frederick and Inez Vivian. In Minnesota Mr. Carlson served for
six years as a school director. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen
of America and the Vasa Society, and the family are Swedish Lutherans. Mr. Carlson
is a Republican.

WILSON W. LEWALLEN.— The broad 640 acres picturesquely lying between
two summits in the region of the hills west of Newman in Los Garsas Creek vicinity,
and owned by Wilson W. Lewallen, was originally a portion of Government land
that was thrown open for settlement under the homestead and grazing act. Mr.
Lewallen recalls riding into the region of the hills where the Los Garsas Creek runs
in 1886, as a young man just attaining his majority, and gazing with admiring and
longing eyes at the unimproved, splendid lay of the land with its abundant springs
and wild grass, and years later his wish to possess some of this rich land was gratified.

Mr. Lewallen was born December 11, 1865, at Owenton, Owen County, in the
state of Kentucky, and is the son of John A. and Margarette J. (Hearn) Lewallen.
His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother's people were early settlers in
Kentucky. His mother is a sister of John Hearn, a pioneer of Newman. Wilson W.
was one of a family of seven children, and when he was two years old in 1867
the father removed with his family to Cedar County, Mo., and settled in the neigh-
borhood of Stockton, which was their post office. The father, a miller by trade, took
a certain percent of grain ground for pay for grinding grain. The grandfather died
during the Civil War, which left the country a wreck from its ravages. Wilson W.
attended school in a log cabin school house, whose benches for the accommodation of
the pupils were half rounded logs. His father came to California in 1880, and the
next year, in 1881, Wilson, then a lad in his sixteenth year, accompanied his mother
and brothers and sisters to the new home on the coast. They were nine days accom-
plishing the journey from Sedalia, Mo., to California by way of the slow overland
train, and arrived at Stockton, January 9, 1881. The following day, January 10,
the lad rode behind the first four-horse team he had ever seen in making the journey
from Stockton to Hill's Ferry in a three-seated wagon. The family lived one mile
below Hill's Ferry on the John Hearn ranch. The following spring young Wilson
went to Crow's Landing, where he engaged to work for wages herding horses for
James T. Crow and son. He next engaged in the butcher business at Stockton. His
father, who owned a ranch back of Crow's Landing, disposed of his interest in 1888
and returned East.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1353

Mr. Lewallen was married October 20, 1901, to Mrs. Allie Sweem, a widow
with one son, Orel C. She is the daughter of George and Caroline (Finney)
Sutherland, and they are the parents of one child, a daughter named Velma. Mrs.
Lewallen's father came to California during the gold rush of early days, and engaged
in farming and raising cattle, horses and mules. Mr. Lewallen was interested in
the butcher business after his marriage, having a business at Stockton, and also
worked at Newman for a while. He disposed of his Stockton interest in 1905, and
in that year took charge of the cattle on Mrs. McDougall's ranch, where for two
years he ran 1300 head of cattle. In the clean-up sale he sold 480 head of cattle.
While with Mrs. McDougall he took the position with the California Fish and
Game Commission of California, as field deputy at large with headquarters at Stock-
ton. After disposing of his interest with Mrs. McDougall he put in all of his time
as deputy in working for the state, and often had charge of the chain gang on the
San Joaquin County road building. He served as deputy sheriff under Walter Sibley
and Tom Cunningham, and is now deputy sheriff under Mr. Dallas. When the
Los Garsas Creek land was thrown open for development he availed himself of the
opportunity to possess the much coveted land, and has put $2000 worth of improve-
ment on his property in building a dwelling and fencing and building roads. He has
an abundance of feed and water on the ranch and purposes to raise polo horses. In his
political views Mr. Lewallen is a stanch Democrat. He is a useful citizen and has
many warm friends.

G. E. WICKSTROM. — An enterprising rancher who has been a resident of
Turlock since the spring of 1904, is G. E. Wickstrom, who came here from St.
Hilaire, Pennington County, Minn., where he had been reared on the farm of his
father, L. J. Wickstrom, who was engaged in grain and stock raising and who passed
away in 1894. G. E. was educated in the public schools after which he continued on
the home farm and an adjoining farm until 1903, when he removed to Seattle, being
employed there and in Tacoma until 1904, when he came to Turlock, when he was
twenty-three years of age.

Liking the country and its soil and conditions, Mr. Wickstrom purchased twenty
acres of land which now adjoins the city on the southeast. He immediately set to
work to improve the place, leveling and checking the place. He put half of it in
alfalfa and the balance in peaches and grapes. However, when the trees and vines
began bearing there was no sale for the fruit, so he pulled them out and continued to
raise alfalfa and grain and for a time ran a small dairy. He now devotes his ranch
to general farming, in which he is very successful.

Mr. Wickstrom was married in Turlock to Miss Anna Johnson, of Marshall
County, Minn., and they have been blessed with two children, Doris and Betty Ann.
Mr. Wickstrom is a member of the Swedish Mission Church in Turlock and Mrs.
Wickstrom of the Dorcas Society of the church. Politically Mr. Wickstrom is a
Prohibitionist, being a strong advocate of temperance.

CLAUD WRIGHT.— Coming to Stanislaus County in 1917, Claud Wright, in
the few years which have intervened since that time, has won his way to success
through his hard work and ability as a farmer and an executive. He ran the Hus-
man place on shares for two years, and in 1919 leased this property, which consists
of sixty acres in alfalfa and a dairy of twenty cows. His enterprise met with such
success that he was soon in a position to purchase forty acres of fine land at the
junction of Sycamore and Pomelo avenues, thirty of which are devoted to alfalfa
and ten to Egyptian corn, where he resides there with his family.

Mr. Wright was born April 26, 1885, the son of Lewis H. and Jennie (Parker)
Wright, his father a native of Illinois, and his mother of Rochester, Minn. The
early years of Claud Wright were spent at various places in the Middle West. When
he was two years old his father moved to Rochester, Minn., where for a year he en-
gaged in farming. He then moved to Baraboo, Wis., where he went to work for the
railroad company, remaining for seven years, returning at the end of that period to
Rochester, Minn., where he again became a farmer. The wife and mother passed



1354 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

away when Claud was but twelve years of age, and shortly afterwards he came with
his father to California, which he has since made his home. The father settled first in
Amador County, near Plymouth, where he engaged in farming and mining.

It was in 1906 that Mr. Wright first came into Stanislaus County, where he is
so well and favorably known. He located at Newman, where he was connected with
the Ordway Brothers for a time in the butcher business, butchering veal for the
wholesale market. Following this he was for three years with the Associated Oil
Company at Newman, at the close of which time he came to Patterson and entered
upon his splendid period of successful farming. On July 6 Mr. Wright was married
to Miss Iva Pettit, at Stockton. Mrs. Wright is the daughter of Jerry and Julia
(Woodworth) Pettit. They have been blessed with two children, Lois and Melville,
attending the Patterson grammar school.

DAVID G. ERICKSON. — A young man of splendid business qualifications with
a pleasing personality is David G. Erickson, a native of the Keystone state, born
at Dagus Mines in 1892. He is the third oldest of a family of six children born to
C. W. and Hannah (Haroldson) Erickson, who brought their family from Penn-
sylvania to Turlock in 1907, since which time the father has been in the employ of
the Turlock Lumber Company.

David G. was reared in Pennsylvania, attending school at Anita. After com-
pleting the grammar school he began working in the coal mines. Later he was
employed in the planing mill, so when he reached Turlock in 19Q9 he entered the
employ of the Turlock planing mill as stationary engineer, running the gas engine
until 1911. Then he became automobile machinist in the Carolyn Garage, and
afterwards with the Mission Garage, becoming foreman under Jack Denio, con-
tinuing until he resigned and became proprietor of .the St. Elmo Garage & Repair
Shop, continuing for a period of one year when he again worked under Jack Denio.
In June, 1918, Mr. Erickson entered the U. S. Service School in Los Angeles, taking
charge of electric ignition on automobiles and was assistant instructor until he was
transferred to the artillery at Ft. Rosecrans. One month later when a casualty
company in artillery was formed for immediate service in France he joined it and
was sent overseas. Then he was transferred to the motor department in the Officers'
Training School, handling trucks and teaching driving of convoys. In February,
1919, Mr. Erickson was taken ill and came home as patient to Camp Kearney,
remaining in the hospital until May, 1919, when he was honorably discharged.

After spending three months as a foreman of a garage in Alameda he returned
to Turlock and had charge of the Broadway Machine Shop until December, 1920,
when he resigned, forming the present partnership, Erickson & Carlson, and estab-
lished the Buick Service Station on North Broadway. They do general automotive
repairing and electrical work and are meeting with deserved success and increasing
patronage. Mr. Erickson married at Santa Cruz in June, 1920, his bride being Miss
Estella Violet Swanson who was born in Nebraska.

He is a member of Turlock Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and was a charter
member of the Independent Order of Redmen, serving as sachem at the time he
entered the United States service.

CARL VICTOR BRODEN.— A young man of much artistic ability and
business acumen is Carl Victor Broden who is a successful businessman as well as
interested in horticulture. He is a native of Sweden, having been born on a farm
near Skara, April 17, 1881. He grew up on his father's farm, receiving a good
education in the excellent public schools of that country. Hearing as well as reading
of the greater opportunities that awaited young men of energy who were ambitious
and willing to work he decided to cast in his lot with the land of the Stars and Stripes,
so at the age of 19 in 1900, he came to Rockford, 111.

Then he began the study of photography with John Rosenquist, one of the
leading photographers of- northern Illinois, where Carl had a most excellent chance
to learn the very latest in photography as John Rosenquist had the knack of imparting
to the young the art of posing subjects and developing and making of photos. Carl



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1355

was an adept pupil, worked diligently and at the end of three years went out as a
journeyman. Coming to San Francisco he remained only a short time, when he
moved on to Seattle, Wash., where he was employed as a photographer until 1904,
when he made the voyage to Nome, Alaska. He prospected and mined in that northern
country with very good success. After spending two years in the frozen north
he returned to San Francisco and soon afterwards returned East, locating in St. Paul
and opened a studio. He soon established a record as a leading photogrpher in the
twin cities. While there he was married in 1907, being united with Miss Ida Benson,
also a native of Sweden, who had made her home in St. Paul for years.

In 1917 Mr. Broden disposed of his business interests and came to California,
purchasing a studio in Vallejo. He conducted it for one year and then sold it to
Mr. Boussum, and removing to Fresno became manager of Boussum's Studio in
Fresno, a position he filled until the spring of 1919. Then he resigned and came to
Modesto and opened Broden's Studio at 1019 H St. He has fitted the studio up
very artistically and beautifully, the whole presenting a classy appearance. The
photos on display demonstrate his ability as one of the leading artists, not only in
the valley but in the state.

Mr. Broden, aside from his business as a photographer is interested in horti-
culture, owning a ten-acre ranch on the Paradise road, just south of the city, devoted
to peaches and vineyard in the development of which he takes great pleasure and finds
recreation. Mr. and Mrs. Broden have three children, Claude, Gladys and Ethel.
Fraternally Mr. Broden is a member of Wildey Lodge No. 149 I. O. 6. F., and the
Encampment of Odd Fellows, in both of which he is popular. Being intensely
interested in civics and the growth of the city he is naturally a member of the Chamber
of Commerce.

CHARLES EMIL ELLSBURG. — An enthusiastic supporter of every movement
for the building up of the city of Turlock is Charles Emil Ellsburg, the president
of the wide-awake incorporation, the C. E. Ellsburg Company, who was born at
Braham, Isanti County, Minn., on February 13, 1874, the son of Gustaf and Ulricka
Ellsburg, early settlers at Braham, where they homesteaded and improved farm land.
His father raised grain and stock until his death, and was esteemed as an agriculturist
of the most progressive type. There were six children in the family, and Charles,
who is the only one in California, is the youngest of them all. He was brought up
on the home farm, while he attended the local public schools, and he assisted his
father until he was twenty-four years of age, when he launched into business on his
own account. He opened a general merchandise store at Braham, and when he sold
nut, he removed to Fort Dodge. Iowa, for eighteen months. In the fall of 1907, he
was fortunate to come to California and to locate at Turlock, where he entered the
employ of M. M. Berg and was for nearly three years implement salesman.

Mr. Ellsburg's own enterprise, now so widely and popularly known as the C. E.
Ellsburg Company, he started in 1917, accepting therein the double position of presi-
dent and manager. The company sells hardware, house furnishing goods, and farm
implements of all kinds, and also sells wagons, tractors and tractor tools, easily
carrying on the largest trade of the kind in Turlock. The company is the exclusive
agent of the International Harvester Company in Turlock, and also handles the
McCormick and Deering lines of farm implements and Titan tractors. Their ware-
rooms are at the corner of Line and South Broadw T ay, where they have a front of
106 feet. They also occupy a building 25x140 feet in the center of the town at 130
West Main Street, used for hardware and house furnishing goods. Partly because
of their superior and extensive stock, but particularly on account of their exemplary
methods in the transaction of business, the C. E. Ellsburg Company have made a
most enviable name for themselves as the best kind of a business house with which to
deal, and the people of not only Turlock, but much of Stanislaus County, have been
quick and generous in their response with patronage. Mr. Ellsburg is a member of
Turlock's Board of Trade trustees and a stockholder in the Yosemite Hotel Co.

While in Minnesota, he was married to Miss Anna Marie Rodberg, a native
of Maple Ridge, Minn., and the daughter of the Rev. J. P. Rodberg, a pioneer min-



1356 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

ister who contributed much toward the great work and accomplishments of the
Swedish Mission Church in that state. Four daughters and one son have blessed
this fortunate union. The eldest is Virginia; then come Ingeborg, Ragnhild and
Alfhild, and the youngest is Rowland. Mr. and Mrs. Ellsburg are active and promi-
nent members of the Swedish Mission Church, and for some years Mr. Ellsburg was
both a trustee of and treasurer for that congregation.

JOE P. MENDOSA. — A native son of California who is prospering as a dairy
farmer in Stanislaus County, is Joe P. Mendosa, owner of fifty acres of fine land two
miles southeast of Ceres, on the Highway, where he has a fine dairy herd.

Mr. Mendosa was born at Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County, Cal., February
23, 1887. His father, Manuel P. Mendosa, was a native of the Azores Islands, and a
pioneer farmer of San Jose, Santa Clara County, Cal. The mother was Miss Frances
Gomes, also a native of the Azores. She met Manuel P. Mendosa in Honolulu,
where they were married, coming soon after to California, where they engaged in
farming. Joe P. Mendosa passed his boyhood days in Santa Clara County, where he
early assumed a large share of the farm work in an effort to aid in the support of the
family, being the fifth child and third oldest son. He started regularly to work on
the farm at thirteen, and at fifteen, for neighbors. When twenty-three he engaged
in the dairy business in Tulare for four years, owning a one-half interest in the
business. Here he prospered and really got his first substantial start. In 1913
he came to Stanislaus County, where he bought his present property and has done
much for its rapid development, making it a valuable and attractive place.

The marriage of Mr. Mendosa occurred in Santa Clara, in Santa Clara County,
uniting him with Miss Mary C. Enos, the daughter of J. C. Enos, and a native of
Portugal. Of their union have been born seven children, all living at home with their
parents. They are: Lawrence, Mabel, Elverta, Arthur, Eva, Erma and Ernest. Mr.
Mendosa is interested in all that pertains to the well being of Ceres and Stanislaus
County, and among the farmers who hail from Portugal, or are descended from
Portuguese ancestry, he is especially prominent.

ERICK G. PETERSON.— An esteemed citizen of Turlock who is very enthusi-
astic as to the future of Stanislaus County, and particularly of the fast-developing
town in which he lives and thrives, is Erick G. Peterson, who was born in Gestrik-
land, Sweden, on March 10, 1857, and there sent to the public schools and reared on
a farm. In 1881 he came out to the United States, and on September 19 arrived at
Kewanee, 111., where he went to work in a coal mine. The following spring he came
out to Stevens County, Minn., and there worked on a farm until the fall of the
year, when he went to Galva, 111., and once more labored in a coal mine. Then he
returned again to Minnesota and in Traverse County, in 1883, resumed farm labor.
That same summer, he bought a piece of land on the installment plan, and in 1887 he
moved onto it and there built a residence and made other improvements. He had 160
acres which he broke up by means of oxen, and as it was favorably situated near
Dumont, at the southern end of the Red River Valley, he raised grain successfully and
continued there for ten years. When he sold out, he moved twelve miles to the north,
near Clifton, in Traverse County, and there he bought 160 acres, and later fifty-three
and one half, so that eventually he had 213j/j acres in grain and stock. He helped
start the Swedish Mission, acting as a trustee while the edifice was being put up.

After ten years more, Mr. Peterson sold out and came to California, having
already visited the state in 1905, when he bought a farm of eighty acres at Hihnar,
paying twenty-five dollars an acre; and when, in 1907, he really decided to locate
here, he bought forty acres more, and improved and farmed the same. Two years
later, he sold one-fourth of the eighty acres at fifty-five dollars an acre, and the next
year another twenty acres at sixty dollars an acre; and in August, 1919, he disposed
of forty acres, for $14,000. The remaining forty is in grain and alfalfa.

At Dumont, Traverse County, Minn., Mr. Peterson was married in 1889 to
Miss Christene Larson, a native of the bridegroom's birthplace in Sweden, and seven
children have blessed their union. Ellen is with her father; Albert is in Oakland;



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1357

Esther is employed by the Crocker National Bank of San Francisco and resides at
Oakland; Fred is on the home farm; Walter, a graduate of the Hilmar high school,
was in the U. S. Naval Reserve Corps in the World War and served on the Alaska,
and is now a student at the University of California; Ruth was graduated from the
State University with the class of '20; and Daniel is in the Turlock Union High
School. A member in excellent standing in the Swedish Mission Church for years,
Mr. Peterson is now a member of the Swedish Mission at Turlock. In national
political affairs he is a Republican, but he does not allow partisanship to interfere
with his support of worthy local movements. Having bought five acres just south of
Turlock in 1018, Mr. Peterson lives there retired, and devotes part of his time to
the growing of alfalfa and otherwise improving the place.

ARTHUR C LUNDGREN. — A progressive young man whose capable salesman-
ship has enabled him the better to succeed in movements for the building up of Tur-
lock, is Arthur C. Lundgren, the junior member of the firm of Sandberg & Lund-
gren, proprietors of "The Reliable" store. He was born in Worcester, Mass., on
December 15, 1886, the son of G. A. Lundgren, who was "boss roller" in the steel
rolling mills at that place. In 1905 he brought his family out to California and Tur-
lock, where he bought a ranch three and a half miles southwest of Turlock. This he
improved in the most scientific manner and has since devoted it to the raising of
alfalfa, grapes and cantaloupes. He had married Amelia Pierrou, who is also still
•living, the honored mother of six children.

The youngest in the family, Arthur was brought up in Massachusetts, until he
removed with his parents to Cleveland and then Youngstown, Ohio, where he went
to school. At the age of sixteen, he was apprenticed as a pattern-maker in a large
shop in Youngstown, and there he remained for a couple of years. In 1905, he
came out to California and helped his father on the farm, and after that he worked
for A. Hallner. Then he was in the employ of the B. Weill Hardware Company,
and next, for five years, in the clothing department of M. M. Berg, leaving him to
go for four years to the clothing department of the Turlock Mercantile Company.

In 1917, Mr. Lundgren became associated with Mr. Sandberg in business, and
together they built up the popular men's furnishing goods store' known throughout
Stanislaus County as "The Reliable." They have not only endeavored to carry the
largest stock of superior, strictly up-to-date goods, but they have inaugurated and
maintained the practice of giving conscientious attention to the individual wants of
each customer. Besides being a live-wire member of the Turlock Board of Trade,
Mr. Lundgren is a stockholder in the Yosemite Hotel Company.

At Turlock, Mr. Lundgren was married to Miss Esther Hilma Hultgren, a
native of Kent City, Mich., and they have one child, Tillman. Mr. and Mrs. Lund-
gren are members oi the Swedish Mission Church, and Mr. Lundgren is the tenor
of that church's well-organized choir.

OTTO JOHNSON. — A farmer whose well-earned success has made him an influ-
ential citizen, first, last and all the time loyal to California, is Otto Johnson, who
was born in Skane, Sweden, on June 8, 1862, attended the excellent public schools
there, and was reared on a farm where he also received some of his valuable training
for future tussles with the world. A brother and a sister had already crossed the
ocean and settled in Wyoming, and in 1886 he migrated hither also, settling at
Rawlins in Carbon County. He secured employment in the operating department



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 151 of 177)