Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 160 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 160 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with Miss Mary Baughman of Hancock County, Ohio. They became the parents
of two children: Marie is the wife of F. C. Mosier, a rancher in East Empire Pre-
cinct, and they are the parents of one child, Dorris L. ; Gladys died in infancy.

After hearing wonderful tales of the opportunities in the West, Mr. Tombaugh
decided to go to Colorado and after spending two years in that state, he came on to
Modesto in the year of 1909, and although he only had a small amount of money,
he bought a piece of land and began farming; then when he had lived there two
years, he came on to Empire and being apt, able and willing to work, he is becoming
more prosperous all the time. He is now well to do, owning twenty-two and a half
acres in three different ranches. He has improved the five-acre tract at Empire,
has it planted to alfalfa and this he makes his home. He is seeding another ten
acres to alfalfa this spring and has 288 four-year-old apricot trees in splendid bearing.
Mrs. Tombaugh passed away about three and a half years ago, after a long illness.



1402 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

SIDDALL YANCEY BARNES.— A progressive young rancher, Siddall
Yancey Barnes is the representative of one of the historic families of the South. He
was born at Albany, Texas, a son of A. J. and Fannie (Yancey) Barnes, natives of
Georgia, who are now living retired at 117 Poplar Avenue, Modesto; they used to
farm east of Montpellier, in Stanislaus County, and there our subject grew up. He
was three years old when he came to California from Texas with his parents and the
rest of the family. A. M. Barnes was the oldest of the five children, and he is now
running the old home Barnes ranch with his brother, R. H. Barnes, who was the
third in the order of birth. D. A. Barnes was the first of the family to be born in
Stanislaus County; Mary Belle is bookkeeper for C. E. Donley, the hardware mer-
chant at Modesto. Siddall Barnes is a nephew of Mrs. R. T. Hawkins, who was
Miss Mary Siddall Yancey of Georgia before her marriage, the daughter of the
valiant Lieutenant Abner Yancey who fell on the Jonesboro battlefield.

Siddall, the second oldest in the family, was born on January 10, 1887, and
when old enough to go to school, was sent to the schoolhouse in the Montpellier dis-
trict. He began farm work on his father's ranch, and then attended Heald's Busi-
ness College at Stockton. On completing the course there he returned to farming,
renting land for three years and went in for the raising of grain ; and as he was
farming a part of the 2,600 acres famous as the W. W. Hall ranch, he enjoyed
superior harvests. In time, this land had a greater interest for him, for it was deeded
by Mrs. Head, formerly Mrs. Hall, to her daughter, whom Mr. Barnes married.

In 1910 the marriage of Miss Georgia Hall and Siddall Barnes was consum-
mated, the bride being a granddaughter of E. A. Hall and S. T. Rowe, both well-
known Stanislaus County pioneers, and a great-granddaughter of John Jones, Cali-
fornia's largest wheat raiser. Mr. Barnes has built for himself and family both an
attractive dwelling house and the necessary farm buildings; and they have one child,
Andrew Wheeler. He is a member of Twintown Lodge K. P., at Waterford, of
which he is a trustee. In national politics a standpat Democrat, Mr. Barnes favors
nonpartisanship in local affairs.

GUY NELSON LA SOURCE. — A prosperous farmer and business man of
Modesto and Hickman is Guy Nelson La Source, who was born at Piano, in Tulare
County, the son of Thaddeus Warsaw La Source, a native of Illinois, who served
through the Civil War and on his return from the battlefields, came out to Cali-
fornia. Now he resides at Oakdale, retired, at the age of seventy. At Hickman he
married Miss Clara Hunt, a native of Oakdale, who passed away at the age of fifty-
four years. Guy La Source, who lives with his family on his father-in-law's place,
rents and farms thirty-five acres, the large Mires farm being rented at present to
Guy Laughlin. He also owns and works twelve mules, and he does a good deal of
farm work and grading for other people. He has worked for the Turlock Irrigation
District for five years, and is thoroughly posted as to irrigation problems.

Mr. La Source was married at Hickman to Miss Hazel Adell Mires, the daugh-
ter of Lewis Napoleon Mires, one of the great bonanza farmers in the Hickman
section, where he owns 916 acres. He was born at Stockton on November 17, 1856,
the son of Sanford Mires, a native of Ohio, who married Sophronia Deardorff, in
Indiana, in which state the bride was born. They crossed the plains with an ox
team in 1852, and settled at Stockton; and Mr. Mires ranched as a grain farmer
twelve miles east on the Copperopolis Road, in which section Lewis Napoleon grew
up. When twenty-two years of age he was married in Oregon to Miss Elvira Kate
Rycraft, who was born and reared in Oregon; and after their marriage the couple
came south to California, and Mr. Mires went to work near Waterford. He worked
for Coggswell for eight years, and for Dallas for five years, and then, for several
years, rented the Coggswell ranch. He made his first investment in land in 1892,
when he purchased 916 acres; and he not only farmed this, but other lands. All in
all, he rented about 3,000 acres, used sixty head of mules and employed a combined
harvester and a caterpillar tractor. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Mires. The eldest, Hazel, is Mrs. Guy N. La Source of Hickman. Arthur Roy
is distributor of the Lexington automobile at San Francisco and vice-president of the



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1403

Charles H. Kaar Company. Edson Lewis lives at Modesto. Mr. Mires has always
taken a live interest in civic affairs, and as a standpat Republican has done what he
could to improve political conditions. He was on the Turlock Irrigation Board for
seven years, and for three years served as its president. Some years ago, he bought
Smith's Garage, on Ninth Street in Modesto, which he has made one of the best in
the city. Mr. and Mrs. La Source have three children: Loren M., Orville Edwin
and Martha E. La Source.

JOHN GROSSMAN. — An extensive dairy farmer, John Grossman, and his
partner, Herman Michel of Venice and Santa Monica, Cal., are operating 290 choice
acres in the Waterford Irrigation district just three and a half miles west of Water-
ford, Cal. He was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, October 13, 1868, the son
of Heinrich and Margaret (Schild) Grossman, who were natives of Switzerland,
where his father was the proprietor of a hardware store at Brienz. After attending
the public schools of Switzerland, he took a two-year course in one of the agricultural
schools of that canton. Having heard so much of America from his fellow country-
men who had found greater opportunities here, when he reached the age of nineteen
he sailed for America, landing in New York in 1888. He went direct to Santa
Ana, Cal., and began working out upon dairy ranches, having learned farming and
dairying in Switzerland. He was accompanied to this country by his present part-
ner, Herman Michel, and together they came to Merced County and began by work-
ing out on large dairy ranches, later settling near Newman, where they bought a
good 260-acre dairy farm and by making substantial improvements, working hard,
saving and good management, they became very successful in their undertaking, so
much so that in 1915 they added another ranch of 290 acres to their holdings. They
raise alfalfa and milk sixty head of high-grade Holstein cows. They are also the
owners of two registered Friesian-Holstein bulls.

Within the past two years they have made great improvements, having built a
farmhouse and tankhouse on the Waterford ranch, and seeded nearly all of it to
alfalfa, which is growing nicely, and in this way the soil fertility of the 290-acre
ranch is being restored. It had been farmed to wheat and barley for many years
before they bought it, which took much of the substance from the soil, and this will
bring it back to its original productiveness.

Mr. Grossman is a very well-informed man, a good manager, working in accord
with the country of his adoption and making a good citizen. He has met with such
a degree of success that he is now well-to-do and in comfortable circumstances.

ARAM H. YERAM. — A successful merchant, enjoying a thriving business, who
has contributed his share to the building up of Modesto, is Aram H. Yeram, the up-to-
date merchant tailor, whose place of business is in the Hotel Modesto building. He
was born in Malatia, Armenia, on July 15, 1893, the son of John and Maryam
(Kevorkian) Yeram. His father contracted for soldiers' supplies, but having a large
family and dying when Aram was only fourteen years old, our subject had but very
limited opportunities for schooling. From that time, indeed, he made his way in
the world, and this fact adds interest to his absorbing story.

For two years he was apprenticed at Malatia to the tailor's trade, and when he
was declared adept, he left his native country, often so torn by internal strife, and
came to America with its greater opportunities. He continued westward until he
reached California and Fresno, and for three years he worked for Braves Bros, as a
tailor. Then he removed to Modesto, and for a year and a half worked for the tailor
having the shop in the Modesto Hotel. In 1916 he purchased the business, and since
that date, operating for himself, he has extended his fast-growing trade throughout
Stanislaus County. He is a member of the Modesto Chamber of Commerce, and
deeply interested in all that may work for the building up of Modesto.

Mr. Yeram is held in such high esteem by all who know him that it is doubly a
matter of regret he and his family should have suffered so by the late war. His
people, pursuing agriculture in Armenia, have been subjected to indescribable hard-
ships, and one of his two brothers was massacred.



1404 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

GEORGE A. BROWN.— A self-made man who has developed himself as a
first-class mechanic is George A. Brown, a native of Sabinal, Uvalde County, Texas,
where he was born on July 17, 1888, the son of George A. and Cora Brown. His
father was also a native of Texas, and was a stockman ; and while riding a horse
on his ranch he was killed.

When he was ten years of age, George A. Brown, Jr., accompanied by his mother,
three brothers and a sister, removed to Riverside, Cal., to live ; and having finished the
grammar school courses there, he also attended the high school. At fourteen, however,"
he had to quit studying and begin to earn his own living. Finding that he had special
aptitude for mechanical work, he went into the automobile industry and for a number
of years worked for the Detroit Motor Company at Riverside. He then removed to
Willits, Mendocino County, and worked for two years. On coming to Modesto in
1902, he took up tractor driving and the running of stationary engines on ranches in
the vicinity of Modesto, and that kind of labor also kept him busy for years.

In 1916, Mr. Brown took a position with the Ford Garage, and soon he became
foreman of Parks Garage; and ever since he has been with C. C. Parks, as foreman
of his machine shop. He has found it comparatively easy to demonstrate his particu-
lar fitness for the work in that field, with the result that patrons have grown in
number and in their appreciation of his skill.

On January 31, 1910, Mr. Brown was married at Madera to Miss Lillian
Burnham, the daughter of Eugene L. and Sarah Burnham. Her father, who came
to California when eighteen years old, was a rancher of Fresno, who farmed extensively
on about 3,000 acres; in later years he went into business and now is a wholesaler of
groceries and meats at Taft. He came to California as a young man of eighteen.
Mr. and Mrs. Brown live very comfortably in their home at 1005 Fourth Street,
enjoying the companionship of their five children — Gladys, Dorothy and Thelma,
who are pupils of the grammar school, and George A., 3rd, and Raymond Clarence.
In politics, Mr. Brown is an independent; fraternally he is a member of the Wood-
men of the World of Modesto.

A. C. WOOLSEY. — Among the early settlers that have had a hand in the up-
building of Stanislaus County is A. C. Woolsey, who has rented and is operating
the sixty-acre tract known as the Hanson ranch on the Tuolumne River in East
Empire precinct. He was born May 28, 1868, in Cass County, Mo., the son of
Eugene D. Woolsey, whose biography appears on another page of this work. His
mother was Amanda Beck before her marriage and both parents were natives of
Missouri. He is a member of the great Woolsey family, which has left its impress
on English-speaking nations by virtue of the life of Cardinal Wolsey of England.

Mr. Woolsey was the eldest of six children and therefore much of the responsi-
bility of the farm work fell on him, as the father was engaged as a drover, which
took him away from his farm work. He moved his family to Stafford County,
Kans., when Alfred was about eighteen years old. He remained at home until he
reached the age of twenty-one, then wishing for a home of his own, he married Miss
Annie Currence, who was born in Missouri. They became the parents of three
children : Denton, who died when he was twenty years old ; Grace, became the wife
of J. D. Garber, a rancher near Modesto ; and John W., of Modesto.

Mr. and Mrs. Woolsey continued to live in the state of Kansas for seven years
after their marriage, then he and his family came to California, settling at first in
San Luis Obispo County, in the fall of 1896. They had not lived there long when
he was bereaved by the loss of his wife, who died in San Luis Obispo County. His
second marriage, which occurred at Nipomo, Cal., united him with Miss Edna
Grafft, a sister of Herbert Grafft, a well-known citizen of San Luis Obispo County.
Mrs. Woolsey is of a family of eleven children, all living. She was born and reared
in Jones County, Iowa, and is the daughter of James and Marietta (Foreman)
Grafft. Her maternal grandparents were John and Nancy Foreman and it was
the former who instituted the celebrated "Jones County Calf Case" against Robert
Johnson, which unfortunately broke up not only John Foreman but an entire com-
munity in Iowa. It was in the courts for twenty-eight years, and cost both sides



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1405

approximately $1,500,000. Mr. and Mrs. Woolsey have become the parents of
three children : two of them died in infancy while a fate sadder still befell the third,
Eldon, who grew to be a bright, strong boy of eleven, became the victim of a reckless
speeder, having been run over on his eleventh birthday by an automobile.

Mr. Woolsey came to Stanislaus County in 1904, settling in Wood Colony,
where he had rented a farm, and was very successful in all his undertakings. Ambi-
tion had led him to venture into larger farming operations, so he went to San Juan
County, expecting to make money farming on a large scale, but owing to a combina-
tion of circumstances set against him, unfortunately he lost the gains of several years
of hard work. Undaunted in courage, he resumed farming operations, again in
Stanislaus County, about five years ago and in the fall of 1920 rented the Hanson
ranch and began to work up again. Mr. and Mrs. Woolsey through all their ups
and downs have kept unswervingly to the right path and have many friends.

EDWARD A. UHL. — A public-spirited citizen of Stanislaus County is Edward
A. Uhl, who was born in Rochester, N. Y., on November 22, 1887, the son of Peter
Uhl, a painting contractor and interior decorator, who had married Miss Abbie
Gangloff. Both were estimable folk, descended of New England stock who had a high
regard for the way in which their children should be brought up, and who did the
best they could for the subject of our review. After attending the grammar school
he learned the painter's trade, and for some years worked at it. He then took a posi-
tion as a traveling salesman for the Alexander Supply Company of Chicago, covering
the Central States, and for several years traveled through the Pacific Coast region
every winter, spending some time in California, his first trip being in 1906. This
company handled novelties, but nothing appealed to him so much as the greatest of all
novelties, California or the Golden State itself.

It is not surprising, therefore, that in 1915 he should settle at Modesto and
become distributor in Stanislaus County for the People's Baking Company of San
Francisco. At the end of a year and a half, he took up the taxi service enterprise,
and he also embarked in real estate. He purchased ten acres of land, west of the
town, and this he again sold at a handsome profit in the fall of 1920. Since then he
has been buying and selling Modesto town property ; and having well established a
reputation for both experience and fair dealing, he has steadily added to his patronage.

At York, Neb., Mr. Uhl was married to Miss Tillie B. Thompson, a native of
Gresham, Nebr., and a daughter of Jas. D. and Ida E. (Decker) Thompson, natives
of Ohio who were early homesteaders in York County, Nebr., where they located in
1872. Grandfather David Thompson was born in New York and married Rosanna
Davis, and they located in Ohio where they raised their family. On her maternal
side Mrs. Uhl is descended from the De Vinnie family, who were of Holland and
French extraction. Mrs. Uhl was a graduate of the Gresham high school and after
a year in educational work established herself in the millinery business in Gresham.
In 1912, with her mother, she spent a year in Pasadena, Cal., where she met Mr. Uhl,
the acquaintance resulting in their marriage in York, Nebr., August 19, 1913; and
two daughters have been born to them: Evarista Lucille is in the Modesto grammar
school, and the younger is Leona Belle. A Republican in matters of national political
import, Mr. Uhl is a Moose of Modesto.

FRED. J. MARSHALL. — An experienced vulcanizer and wide-awake dealer
in tires, who has built up the best business of its kind in Stanislaus Count)", is Fred
J. Marshall, of 926 Ninth Street, Modesto, a native son proud of his state, having
been born in Oakland on June 1, 1886. His parents were Joseph and Frances (Jus-
lin) Marshall, and his father was a native of Boston who early came out West.

Fred enjoyed both grammar and high school training, at the well-known foun-
tains of knowledge in Oakland, and when old enough assisted his father, who was in
the general teaming business. After some years he quit and entered the employ of
the Oakland Gas Company, and later was fireman on the Sierra Railway, running out
of Sonora. In 1910, he removed to Stockton for a year, and then had the California
Vulcanizing Works. In 1911 he came to Modesto and started business for himself



1406 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

as the Marshall Vulcanizing Works, and under his direction it has grown to be the
largest business in its line in the county. Mr. Marshall deals in only the highest grade
of tires and tire accessories, and he also does all kinds of vulcanizing. His plant is
splendidly equipped, and it is no exaggeration to say that he gets a very large share
of the city and count)' trade, and that he is well and favorably known for his ability
to repair the largest and most expensive tires.

At Sacramento, on April 12, 1910, Mr. Marshall was married to Miss Orpha
Ivy, who was born in Tennessee and has made her home since marrying at Modesto.
Two daughters blessed the union, Ivy Frances and Betty Joe. In national politics
a Republican, Mr. Marshall is too broad-minded to permit partisanship to interfere
with the most enthusiastic and intelligent support of every measure, movement and
candidate likely to benefit the locality in which he lives, works and prospers. He is
an active member of the Chamber of Commerce.

JOSEPH W. FOX. — An industrious native son who has contributed his share
toward the development of California's agriculture, is Joseph W. Fox, who was born
in Santa Ana, Orange County, on January 5, 1877, the son of John S. and Margaret
Fox. The father hailed from England, and when a mere lad was brought across the
ocean to Indiana, and there reared. In 1875 he came to California and settled in the
Delhi district in Orange County, and on the Irvine Ranch he took up farming. Just
prior to that he was located near Waco, Texas, where he raised corn and cotton.

Joseph W. Fox attended the district school at Delhi and spent his early days
with his father, working side by side on the home farm with his brother, George K.
Fox. In 1903, he learned the barber trade and spent a year at Calexico in the
Imperial Valley ; and on his return to Southern California, he had a shop of his own
tor three years at Downey.

In 1908, he came to Modesto and opened a barber shop; but four years later
he sold out his business and, in partnership with his brother-in-law, Geo. T. Adams,
bought sixty acres of the J. G. Elmore Ranch at Salida, and farmed the same for six
years. They then sold the sixty acres and went to Yolo County, where they leased
300 acres near Davis; and for the past two winters farmed this land, planting it to
grain and beans. Now, however, having given up the lease, they expect to do contract
tractor plowing with their seventy-five horsepower Holt tractor, and also a full tractor
equipment — machinery and implements representing the last word of the age. The
business is conducted as Fox and Adams and they are well and favorably known,
their headquarters being at 931 Eighth Street, Modesto.

On May 23, 1905, Mr. Fox was married at Santa Ana to Miss Lora Adams, a
native of Lake County, Cal., and the daughter of George and Lucetta Adams. This
happy union has been blessed with the birth of one child, Velma, now in the grammar
school at Modesto.

SILAS EVERINGTON ULREY.— A man who is contributing his share in
the development of Hughson, is Silas Everington Ulrey, the proprietor of the local
trucking agency, who, with the aid of his sons, is steadily building up a large patron-
age. He was born at Martinsville, Clark County, 111., in March, 1873, the son of
EH and Angelina (Ulrey) Ulrey, good folk from Ohio, who came to Illinois at such
an early date that they were able to do much of the path-breaking required there and
then. In 1844, Mr. Ulrey took up Government land in Clark County, and so it
happened that Silas went to the district school at Martinsville.

In 1892, he joined the U. S. Army, wishing some military experience, and he
was sent to the Presidio at San Francisco. On retiring from the army, he accepted
a position with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, in the car department at
Sacramento; and so well satisfied was he with that great concern, that he spent the
following twenty-three years in its service, at Sacramento and in San Francisco.

In 1916, however, wishing to get out into the open, Mr. Ulrey purchased a ranch
of twenty acres half a mile south of Hughson, and there ran a dairy and alfalfa farm
for three years, keeping about twenty head of cattle. In 1919, he sold this ranch and
came to Hughson, and having purchased trucks, he embarked in transportation of



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1407

freight and other commodities and goods. In this useful enterprise he has been ably
assisted by his two sons, Harold P. and Wayne F. Ulrey. The firm is styled Ulrey
& Ulrey, and they carry on trucking over the entire state, making their headquarters
at Hughson. They use two G. M. C. trucks, one Lane truck, one Ford truck, a
touring car and a roadster.

Mr. Ulrey was married on February 22, 1896, when, at Sacramento, he took
for his wife Miss Jessie Ross. She was born in Iowa, the daughter of Abraham and
Mary (Long) Ross. He was an early settler of Placer County, to which district he
came from Farmington, Iowa.

Harold P. Ulrey was born in Roseville, Cal., and his brother, Wayne F., first
saw the light at Red Bluff, in the same state. Harold enlisted on December 15,

1917, trained in the Eleventh Ambulance Company of the Eighth Division, and was
three months at the Presidio. Then he was sent to Camp Fremont at Palo Alto,
and on October 28 went to Long Island. Later he went to Camp Lee, in Virginia,
and there he stayed for two months; and then he returned to the Presidio, where he
was discharged in February, 1919. He was married at Berkeley on September 20,
1920, to Miss Louise Biane, a native of Louisiana and the daughter of Frank Biane.
He belongs to the American Legion.

Wayne F. Ulrey enlisted in the aviation corps, to be trained as a flyer, and was



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 160 of 177)