Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 168 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 168 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


attractive personality, and has created a wide circle of steadfast friends, among whom
are many of the most desirable patrons.

At Modesto, on February 20, 1911, Mr. Trueblood was married to Miss Jessie
Van Aken, a native of Kansas, and the daughter of W. H. and Ida Van Aken, who
came to Modesto some time ago. In national political affairs, Mr. Trueblood is a
Republican, but he never allows blind partisanship to interfere with his support of
the best men and the best measures; and he is at all times not only a thoroughbred
American, but a good "booster" for Modesto and Stanislaus County.



1446 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

AL. W. JONES. — Modesto, the city of homes and the center of commercial
life — an inland metropolis that is ever expanding on broad and permanent lines — owes
much to Al. W. Jones for his unrivaled service as caterer in the popular 'American
Grill," as all know who are familiar not only with his daily management, but with the
relation between the ranch, on which he grows the delectables, and the restaurant,
where everything is of the best, served to all in the most perfect and tempting and
satisfying style. He was born in Carroll County, Ohio, on May 30, 1865, the son of
Robert and Elizabeth Jones, and grew up the son of a butcher with an extensive
establishment. Up to his sixteenth year, he attended the country school of the district ;
and, striking out for himself, has been a restaurateur for thirty-six years.

Al. Jones started in Ohio, then went to Minnesota and the Northwest, where he
had a restaurant and grill in one town after another. Most of the time, therefore,
during the past twenty-five years, has been spent in the Pacific Northwest, and for
seventeen years he was near Billings, Mont., where he had stock-ranching interests,
after which he was for eight years at Ellensburg, Wash., where he had a grill. In
1917 he came to Modesto and opened the "Jones Grill," and as he has a ranch of
twenty choice acres under the Modesto Irrigation District, practically all that he needs
for his patrons at the grill he himself can produce upon the farm. He raises his own
hogs and poultry, fruit, and cures his own hams and bacon, and what is equally inter-
esting in this, that all which he raises upon the ranch he is able to dispose of in his
restaurant. He employs twenty-three carefully trained persons, and may well claim
to have one of the finest dining establishments in all the valley.

While at Billings, in 1906, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Alice Porter, a
native of Knoxville, Iowa, the daughter of Washington Porter, a building contractor.
At Ellensburg Mr. Jones was made a member of Lodge No. 1102 of the Elks; in
political matters he is nonpartisan.

H. J. FAULKNER. — A California agriculturist and viticulturist, prominent in
the dairy industry, is H. J. Faulkner, advisory manager of the Gustine Creamery.
This creamery is the largest dairyman's cooperative creamery on the West Side and
into this modern enterprise Mr. Faulkner has put the best of all that he has had to
give ; nor should he have any misgivings as to the fruits of his labors. He was born
in Medaryville, Ind., the son of Thomas and Lucy A. (Wayne) Faulkner, natives
of Indiana, and removed with his parents to Colorado, where he completed the public
school courses, and then entered the State Agricultural College at Fort Collins, from
which he was graduated in 1902 with the degree of B.S., next taking a place with the
creamery company there, that section being notable for many high-class products.

In 1904 Mr. Faulkner came west to Los Angeles as butter maker for George A.
Smith. Then he was appointed state dairy inspector from 1905 to 1907, and after
that entered the employ of Baker & Hamilton, wholesale hardware and dairy machines
at San Francisco, doing special work in the creamery and machinery department.
Next he was made manager of the Ceres Creamery from 1912 to 1914, but he again
returned to Baker & Hamilton.

While with this well-known firm, Mr. Faulkner sold and installed the milk
sugar plant for the Milk Producers' Association of Central California at Modesto;
and on the death of Mr. Gunn, in January, 1919, he was chosen general manager of
the association. There are branches, as at Stockton, where butter is made, and a plant
at Oakland ; and the company also owns a large hog ranch, with a wide acreage of
alfalfa. The plant in Modesto is striking for its artistic architecture, the buildings
standing on grounds beautifully laid out to form a fine landscape. The paramount
question of sanitation is strictly attended to, and the butter is worked and molded on
white marble-topped tables by workmen distinguishable for their white attire — an
appetizing and pleasing sight, likely to act as the best of advertisements. In the fall
of 1919 Mr. Faulkner resigned and returned to Baker & Hamilton and remained
until the spring of 1921, when he withdrew to devote all his time to his interests.
This comprises forty acres, twenty acres near Ceres in Thompson Seedless grapes and
a twenty-acre vineyard two miles south of Modesto, nearly all in bearing. This vine-
yard was improved and set out by Mr. Faulkner on subirrigated land, presenting a



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1447

very beautiful appearance. Since 1920, he has been advisory' manager of the Gustine
Creamery, to which he gives considerable time. From his home in Modesto he
superintends his vineyards.

In Colorado, Mr. Faulkner was married to Miss Christene Holmes, a native
of that state and the daughter of Mrs. Martha Holmes; and two children — Velma
and Warren — bless their home. He is a member of Modesto Lodge No. 1282 of Elks ;
was made a Mason in Bay View Lodge No. 401, F. .& A. M., of Oakland, and
demitted to Stanislaus Lodge No. 206, F. & A. M., and is a member of Modesto Chap-
ter No. 49, R. A. M., and with his wife is a member of Athens Chapter, O. E. S., of
Oakland. He is a member of the California Creamery Operators' Association, Keyes
local Stanislaus Farm Bureau and the California Associated Raisin Growers.

JOSEPH S. WILLIAMS.— The lure of city life has never been able to exert
its spell over Joseph S. Williams, for, a native of Stanislaus County, he has been a
true son of the soil and has remained on the farm as a grain farmer. Still a young
man, Mr. Williams has won a marked degree of success through his own efforts, due
to his industry, application and integrity. He was born on his present place, the old
Williams ranch, ten miles southwest of Newman, May 14, 1883, the son of Charles
and Caroline (Madsen) Williams, both well known throughout the county. The
father was a seafaring man who came to Oregon in 1865, where, together with a
group of shipmates, he left the sea for the vicissitudes of the West, joining the Oregon
Volunteer Cavalry to aid in quelling an Indian uprising. After fourteen months of
this excitement, he came south to San Francisco, finally locating in Alameda County,
first near Livermore and later near Pleasanton. In 1868 he removed to Merced
County and settled on Quinto Creek, and was employed on the Lassen ranch in Stan-
islaus County. Later he preempted 120 acres, then added to it until his holdings
amounted to 314 acres, which form the nucleus of the son's holdings today.

On February 1, 1918, at Hollister, Mr. Williams married Miss Blanche Crosby,
a native of Nova Scotia, daughter of James K. Crosby and granddaughter of Robt.
Crowell, a sea captain who brought her up. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have three sturdy
sons: Robert S. and Roger Crosby, twins, and Allen G. Mr. Williams is a true
son of Stanislaus County, receiving his education here and remaining afterwards.
Besides his own lands, he leases 800 acres, known as the Sharp ranch, making a total
of close to 1,200 acres which he farms to barley. He is of the Odd Fellows at New-
man, and stands high, being a past grand and past district deputy grand master.

ANGELO NICHOLAS BASSO. — Varied experiences and associations, with
diversified occupations, have given to Angelo Nicholas Basso the conviction that Stan-
islaus County offers to energetic settlers with keen business judgment opportunities
unsurpassed by any other section of the great empire by the sunset sea. Practically all
of his memories of childhood cluster around the old home located at La Grange, where
he was born September 15, 1889, the son of Angelo and Carmillo (Podesto) Basso,
who were counted among the early pioneers to settle in Stanislaus County in the
sixties and whose biographical sketch appears on another page. Mr. Basso's father
came from the town of Basso, Italy.

Angelo, later attending the public schools at La Grange, began his schooling in
the Branch district, near home. Becoming a young man, he went to Modesto and for
eight years was in the employ of the George P. Schafer Company. After proving
himself capable, he became produce buyer for this house and continued in this capacity
for four years. When news came of the great World War, he went into the service
as an infantryman and was stationed at San Diego, with Company C, Thirty-second
Infantry, Sixteenth Division. January 16, 1919, he was honorably discharged and
was reemployed by George P. Schafer. On February 23, 1920, Mr. Basso engaged in
business for himself and has met with success.

Mr. Basso's marriage on September 9, 1917, united him with Miss Martha L.
Raemsch, who was born in Newark, N. J., but came to Modesto when she was very
small. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Raemsch, now of Modesto. Mr.
Basso is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the American Legion.



1448 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

P. D. RAMOS. — True Western energy characterizes the career of P. D. Ramos,
the paint and whitewash contractor at Newman. He is a native son of the Golden
State, and since a lad of nine has shouldered life's responsibilities. Mr. Ramos was
born at Santa Cruz, Cal., October 22, 1882, the son of Alex Delorm Ramos, a fisher-
man at Capitola, and Nellie Ramos. Reared in Santa Cruz, he acquired his education
in Santa Cruz district and at Gait school. His first seven years were spent in the
butcher business, followed by painting and contracting, then in 1900 went to Hollister.

Mr. Ramos married Miss Rosie Ferreira, a native of Fayal, Azores Islands, at
Hollister, July 22, 1916, and a daughter named Mary was born. Mrs. Ramos was
educated in Fayal schools, and spent her first two years in the States at Hollister. Mr.
Ramos continued painting at Santa Cruz, Watsonville, and Modesto, and afterward
through the valley. After his marriage he lived at Hollister, where his wife con-
ducted a restaurant, while he continued contract painting. In 1918 he removed to
Newman, and built a home, which he sold, and purchased another home on Main
Street. Mr. Ramos has built up a good business and has won the regard of all who
have come in contact with him since he cast his lot in Newman, where he is known
as a man of reliability and integrity. In his political views he is liberal and independent.

MANUEL B. SOARES.— A native son of California is Manuel B. Soares,
whose father was one of the early settlers hailing from the Azores. He was born at
San Rafael, in Marin County, on July 25, 1890, the son of Manuel P. and Rosalina
Soares, substantial farmer folk. His father, when twenty years of age, came from the
Isle of St. George in 1863, and arriving in California, settled as a dairyman in San
Rafael. In 1897 his father sold out and moved to Watsonville, where he bought
363 acres and built up a dairy ; he also farmed some, but his main idea was to build up
a dairy and run eighty head of cattle. He made butter from cream, and sold the
product to M. T. Freitas of Watsonville. The ranch was near the Big Rocks at San
Juan, and Manuel went for three terms to the Watsonville grammar school. In 1901
the elder Soares came to Newman and bought 153 acres one and a half miles south of
the town; and he set out the entire ranch to alfalfa. In 1911 he sold the San Juan
ranch to Ralph Bryan.

Manuel Soares finished his education in the Canal school, south of Newman, and
since then has lived on the old home ranch, the eldest of six children, and runs the
place on shares. He has a dairy of forty-nine cattle and does the work alone. In
1914, just previous to the outbreak of the World War, he accompanied his father on
a trip to the Azores, and while away, leased his farm. Returning to California, he
joined his father, a brother-in-law and W. W. Giddings in the management of a dairy
of 100 cows on the Jasper Parnell ranch at Ingomar; but after three and one-half years
of that experience, he returned to the old home ranch and purchased the dairy business
from Mr. Martin, who then held the lease. He owns forty acres of the old home-
stead, known in the early days as the old Gill Mill ranch; and the balance of the 150
acres is in the estate of M. P. Soares, which is administered by Mary Parkes, a sister,
and John B. Soares, a brother.

On January 10, 1914, while away in the Azores, Mr. Soares was married to Miss
Mary B. Santos, a native of St. George, and their happy home life has been given
added joy by two promising daughters, Rosie B. and Margaret B. Soares.

CHARLES F. CROW.— Influential as a member of one of the largest grain-
growing firms in Stanislaus County, Charles F. Crow, senior member of Crow &
Chathom, is always interesting because of his progressive ideas, his high attainments in
agriculture, and his relation to the forward march of events in Central California.
He was born three miles west of Waterford, Cal., on December 7, 1879, the son of
William P. Crow, who crossed the plains in 1846, traveling with one of Brigham
Young's companies to Salt Lake City. He was not a Mormon, and therefore came
on to California; and as a real pioneer of 1847, he was one of the earliest whites in
the state, coming before the discovery of gold. He did not go in for mining, but
preferred to seek his fortune in catering to the wants of the miners ; and he, therefore,
followed the butcher trade at Hangtown, and prospered as a butcher.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1449

He was married at Hill's Ferry in 1854 to Charlotte Dawson, a native of Iowa,
who had crossed the plains in 1850 with her parents. Then he took up the cattle
business on the West Side, and later moved back to Empire, where he farmed for three
years; and after that he moved to the old Crow place, below Waterford, where he
became a grain farmer.

Charles grew up on a grain farm and drove horses and as many as thirty-six
mules on a combined Haines-Hauser harvester and thresher; and now Messrs. Crow &
Chathom own and operate two sixty-horsepower Best tractors, one Harris auxiliary
harvester, and a McCormick combined harvester and thresher. They operate the
farm of 8,000 acres known as the old "Hickman Ranch," about three miles southwest
of Hickman Station ; and such are the proportions and the quality of their harvestings,
that they are fairly entitled to the credit of being among the most successful of the
extensive ranchers in this part of the state.

Mr. Crow was married in 1904 at San Francisco to Miss Marie McMahan ;
and they have two children: Walter Gilbert attends the high school at Hughson ;
and Helen Aloise Crow is the younger. Mr. Crow has bought a ranch of 100 acres
devoted to alfalfa growing, and there he has built for himself a thoroughly up-to-date
country residence, thereby making of the farm a valuable ranch. He belongs to Stan-
islaus Lodge No. 206, F. & A. M., at Modesto, Twintown Lodge No. 343 of Water-
ford, and enjoys an enviable popularity always stimulating to greater service and results.

WILLIAM SNOW ORVIS.— A young man well known throughout the South-
west as a successful cattle grower and shipper, is Wm. S. Orvis of the Orvis ranch in
Northern Stanislaus County. He was born in Stockton, November 8, 1893, but
grew up on the present ranch. While William was yet a mere lad, his father, C. B.
Orvis, encouraged him to start in the cattle business and gave him every assistance, so
that by the time he was twelve, he had his own checking account, and was buying and
handling cattle. The experience thus gained in his early years has given him a posi-
tion of prestige among men years his senior.

C. B. Orvis is a native of Wisconsin, Fond du Lac County. He came to Cali-
fornia in 1880, and here he married Mary Adale Snow of Stockton, a daughter of
William Snow, who was born in New York and came to California in the fifties.
Great-grandfather Snow was born and married in England, then came to America and
started west across the plains; but, like many good men in those days, never reached
the West, but was massacred by the Indians, who were always on the lookout.

Wm. S. Orvis was named for his grandfather, William Snow, eldest of a family
of three children: Lydia Jane and Henry Bruce are single and live at home. His
father is the owner of large ranches; one consisting of 2,300 acres is rented to A.
Gatesman of Oakdale, another of 1,000 acres is located two miles south of Thornton;
also a 25-acre apple orchard at San Jose ; and with his son, Wm. S., owns 825 acres at
Termines devoted to raising stock, grain and alfalfa. William S. Orvis is operating
the ranch of 5,000 acres in North precinct, Stanislaus County, owned by his mother,
where he makes his home. As has been stated, with his father he owns the Termines
ranch, west of Lodi, on the Sacramento River, comprising 825 acres, which they have
reclaimed with other ranches in the Termines Reclamation District.

Mr. Orvis graduated from Oakdale high school in 1912 and then took a course
at the University of California Agricultural College at Davis, Cal., during the winter
of 1912-13. He was married in Stockton in 1917 to Miss Grace Harriette Harper,
who was born in Calaveras County, the daughter of Wm. T. and Emma Harper and
the second of a family of five. Her father was in charge of the County Hospital at
San Andreas, Calaveras County, several years. Mrs. Orvis is a graduate of the Stock-
ton high school and the normal department of the Heald's Business College at Stock-
ton. They are the parents of one child, Bettie Ada. Mr. Orvis has bought cattle in
Old Mexico, California, Arizona and Nevada, in fact, all over the Southwest, and
shipped them to his ranch, where they are fattened, then sold for beef. From his
comfortable residence on the ranch in North precinct as headquarters, he superintends
his cattle business, and is very naturally a member of the California Cattlemen's
Association. A believer in protection, he is a firm adherent of Republican principles.



1450 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

JAMES A. CALLNIN.- — An enterprising, successful native son who is doing
all he can, while prospering himself, to build up Turlock, in which he lives, and the
environing Stanislaus County, is James A. Callnin, who was born at Placerville,
historic old Hangtown, Cal., on September 14, 1874, the son of Eugene Callnin, a
native of Massachusetts. He came to California in the early '50s by way of Panama,
and having followed mining in the Sierras, was working as an aggressive foreman
when an accident caused his death about 1882. He had married Miss Mary Wardell,
a native of Dundas, Ont., who crossed the plains with her parents in early days. After
the death of her husband, she returned with her family to Chicago ; and so it happened
that James, the second of three children, attended the public schools of that great city.
Having finished his schooling, he learned the machinist's trade and became a brass
finisher, working for Adams & Westlake, and finally he removed to New York City,
where he started in business for himself. He established a laundry at One Hundred
Seventh Street and Manhattan Avenue, and he was there ten years, when he returned
to Chicago and at Rosedale, on Ogden Avenue near Taylor, opened a steam laundry.
After two years, however, he sold the plant and came back to California. Here, from
1903, he was in charge of the laundry department of the Potter Hotel at Santa Bar-
bara, and when he resigned he started an up-to-date laundry in Sacramento, at 1220
S Street. In 1909 he sold out that interest and came down to Turlock, where he
started the first steam laundry — a success from the beginning. He commenced on a
small scale, in an old wooden building; and erected a new building, rather than move,
the transition from the old to the new quarters causing a loss of only one day. This
new edifice is a cement block, 50x80 feet in size, and the plant is economically arranged,
using the condensed steam as water. The laundry has its own well and all up-to-date
appliances. It is known as the Turlock Steam Laundry, employs twelve people, and
serves eight towns. In 1919 Mr. Callnin took into partnership his son, Donald A.
Mr. Callnin is a member of the Board of Trade, and also belongs to the National, the
State, and the San Joaquin Valley Laundry Associations.

At New York City Mr. Callnin was married to Miss Margaret O'Heir, a native
of Connecticut, by whom he has had three children. Donald A. is married and has
one child, a daughter, Emeline ; and the other two children are Gertrude and Virginia,
twins, graduates of Heald's Business College in Stockton.

JOHN A. HOLMQUIST. — A comfortably situated rancher who is enjoying
the fruits of years of conscientious work, is John A. Holmquist, who was born in
Smaland, Sweden, in 1860, and was reared on a farm, while he enjoyed the best of
public school advantages. In 1882, he came to the United States, the first member of
his family to reach the land of the Stars and Stripes, and located at Stanton, Iowa,
where later his father, mother, two brothers and a sister joined him. For seventeen
years he farmed near Stanton, but in 1899 he removed to Cedar County, Nebr., where
he bought a farm on the Knox County line, seven miles from Wausa. There he fol-
lowed grain and stock raising, and he was also a trustee of schools.

On moving still further West to California and Turlock, in 1908, Mr. Holm-
quist bought thirty acres, all raw land, west of the town ; and having leveled and
checked it, he sowed it to alfalfa. He also set out an orchard and a vineyard, and
raised melons. In November, 1918, he sold one-half of the place, and he continued to
farm the balance; but he now lives at his comfortable residence on Park Street, Tur-
lock, where he owns three acres which he farms. Mr. Holmquist made his first trip
to Turlock as early as 1902, and since then he has seen the many wonderful changes.

While at Stanton, Iowa, Mr. Holmquist was married to Miss Christene Erick-
son, a native of Smaland, Sweden, a charming and good woman who died at their
country home here on October 27, 1918, the mother of seven children: Julia Mary
is Mrs. Evar Tornell, and resides on Colorado Avenue, Turlock; Axel Emanuel is a
farmer west of Turlock; Walter Carl served overseas in the One Hundred Third
Infantry, Twenty-sixth Division, and was in the battles of Chateau Thierry, St.
Mihiel, the Argonne and Verdun. He was mustered out on April 21, 1919, and is
now back in Turlock, and is farming near Turlock; Oscar N. was in the One Hundred



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1451

Fifteenth Ammunition Train, Fortieth Division, overseas, and was mustered out on
June 30, 1919; he is assisting his father; Ethel Christene is Mrs. Ernest Carson of
Turlock ; Elvera Anna has become Mrs. Warner Swanson, who lives in Youngstown
Colom'; Emma Sophia presides gracefully over her father's home. Mr. Holmquist
was school trustee of Washington district two years. He is a deacon of the Swedish
Mission Church, and in national politics a Republican.

LOREN W. DAVIS. — Popular among those who have afforded far better and
more reasonable facilities for the motorist, Loren W. Davis, the efficient proprietor of
the well-equipped Davis Garage at Tenth Street, Modesto, is looked to for further
service by all who hope to see Stanislaus County a great rendezvous for automobiles.
He is not only a native son, but he was born at Modesto — on October 6, 1892 — and
like his father, George T. Davis, an early settler of Lodi, who grew up to be an exten-
sive stockman and farmer, he has always enjoyed the esteem and good-will of those
knowing and dealing with him. He married Miss Laura Vivian, and she has been a
favorite, as wife, mother, and neighbor.

Loren Davis finished the grammar grades of Modesto and then went through
the excellent high school there, and in 1907 struck out for himself. He was given an
opportunity to work in George F. Young's old Reo shop, with its one and two cylinder



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 168 of 177)