Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 169 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 169 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


cars, and he remained there for two years. Then Mr. Young sold out to A. R. Mires
and C. R. Zacharias, of the Studebaker Garage, and Mr. Davis delivered the new
'cars ordered by customers, remaining with the new firm four years. In June, 1913,
owing to a break in his health requiring outdoor work, Mr. Davis went with the
Sierra & San Francisco Power Company and worked in its construction department in
Stanislaus County. On December 1, 1914, when his father was sheriff of Stanislaus
County, he became under sheriff.

On January 6, 1918, Mr. Davis again embarked in the garage business, and on
January 1, 1920, he completed his large garage on Tenth Street, one of the finest in
Stanislaus County. Meanwhile, he had conducted his business temporarily in the
J. J. Ferlin Garage, and it is a good indication of the high regard with which he has
always been held as a specialist in his field that during this period of partial disorder
and inconvenience, his business prospered more than before. Now that he has been
able to place every facility at the disposal of both the local and the touring motorist,
he bids fair to get his full share of the patronage of the city and county. Mr. Davis
belongs to Modesto Parlor No. 11, Native Sons of the Golden West, believes in non-
partisanship, and is a first-class "booster" for California, and particularly for Modesto.

SYLVESTER LONGMIRE. — An experienced rancher who has met with
success in intensive farming is Sylvester Longmire, who was born near Dixon, Solano
County, Cal., twenty miles from the Capitol at Sacramento, on November 21, 1855,
the son of Daniel Longmire, a native of Indiana, a farmer who came West in one of
the picturesque, covered wagons in 1854; and in Northern California he followed
agriculture until his death in 1882.

Sylvester was reared in the Sacramento Valley, where he went to school, and
helped his father on the home farm until 1882, working in the fields or hauling crops
in wagons pulled by ten or twelve mules. In 1883, he came into the San Joaquin
Valley, and at Gustine, in Merced County, he bought eighty acres. Besides this land,
he also rented adjoining acres where he farmed extensively, raising grain. While on
the West Side he served on the board of trustees of the Enterprise (now the Gustine)
school district for twelve years, being clerk of the board.

In 1905, having sold his farm at Gustine, he bought forty acres near Keyes, in
Stanislaus County, which he still owns, although he has now retired and has rented
the ranch to two of his able sons, who carry on the work successfully. The same inter-
est in the welfare of the public led him on coming to his new neighborhood to serve
for three years on the school board of the Keyes district. In 1917 he moved to Tur-
lock, where he resides with his wife.

On October 20, 1878, Mr. Longmire married at Willows, Glenn County, Cal,
Miss Laura J. Bacon, a native of Illinois, the daughter of De Witt Benjamin Bacon.



1452 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Nine children blessed this union: Arthur D. is a resident of Chowchilla, Madera
County; William S. resides at home; Myrtle May is the wife of George St. Louis
of Colusa, where they have two children ; Flora B. is Mrs. J. W. Wassum, the mother
of two, of Turlock ; Lillian D. married Earl Dunsmore, and they reside, with two
children, at Winters; Merritt farms the home ranch; and Clara, the wife of A. B.
Curtis, is another resident of Turlock. The eighth is Mabel M., and the youngest is
John A. Longmire, also on the home ranch. Mr. and Mrs. Longmire are rightly
proud of their family. Four of the sons, as well as the father, belong to the Inde-
pendent Order of Red Men in Turlock.

LEONARD STAUDENMAIER.— An experienced and thrifty rancher, whose
success and prosperity, evidencing his contribution toward the advancement of agri-
culture in California, commands necessarily the admiration and good-will of all who
know him and his family, Leonard Staudenmaier was born in AVuertemberg, Ger-
many, on December 15, 1856, and there learned the carpenter's trade, to which he
was apprenticed for three years. Then he worked as a journeyman carpenter in
the ancient city of Ulm; and in 1895 first left Germany, making his way to Ant-
werp. From that city he sailed for Canada, and on July 2 landed at Quebec. He
was not long in moving west to Winnipeg and Manitoba, where he worked out on
farms for monthly wages ; and at the end of the year he took a homestead and
improved 160 acres, proved up on it and obtained a title, making of the same a hand-
some ranch such as was a credit to the neighborhood. He became a Canadian citizen.

It was fiercely cold in Manitoba, much severer than in the Germany of his
former years, when he had plenty of fruit and vegetables and, very naturally, he
longed for California, of which he heard so much. He was especially attracted by
an advertisement setting forth the advantages in Thalheim ; and although he had a
good farm of 160 acres, near the town of Morton, where he raised wheat, he decided
on the momentous step. In 1906, therefore, he moved southward, and soon bought
forty acres of wild land. Later he added a couple of acres, and now, with the aid
of his sons, he farms to alfalfa, for the most part, and runs a dairy. He has built
there a large silo, and raises corn for it, and also has two acres of peaches. He has
erected there a comfortable house for his home, and good outbuildings.

While in Germany, in 1892, Mr. Staudenmaier was married to Miss Caroline
Kienle, a native of Wuertemberg, like himself brought up in the Lutheran Church
and educated in the German schools. Of their children, Wilhelm, the eldest, was
born in Germany, and married Miss Ivy Counts, of Tacoma, Washington. He
lives in San Francisco and works in Geiber's Motor Truck Factory. During the recent
World War, he served for a couple of years in France, and as a member of the
infantry became a sergeant. He served in the thick of the fight, and was wounded
in the left leg; he was in the hospital for several months, and then was honorably
discharged. Hans Leonard now runs the home farm; he enlisted in the Aviation
Section of the U. S. Army and served for six months in France and in England. He
was in the aero-observation squadron, and was honorably discharged. Elizabeth, the
eldest daughter, is a milliner in San Francisco. Albert and Emma are at home.
Frieda died at Thalheim when sixteen years old. Paul is in the grammar school,
and the youngest child is Henry. Mr. Staudenmaier with his family are members
of the Lutheran Church at Valley Home, and politically he is a Republican.

RICHARD D. STELCK.— A pioneer farmer and stockman who began at the
foot of the ladder and grew to be an excellent judge of land-values and livestock,
Richard Detlef Stelck is perhaps the largest taxpayer in Valley Home, until recently
called Thalheim, where he owns a ranch of forty-three acres, his home place. He
also has another ranch of 160 acres four miles north of Valley Home, a third ranch of
twenty acres south of Valley Home. He was born in Schleswig-Holstein on July 3,
1877, and in 1894 crossed the ocean and came to America with a brother, Henry
Stelck, now retired and residing at Hartley, O'Brien County, Iowa. For some years
he worked out as a farm hand. Then, having married, he rented land for a year in
Iowa, and after that, in company with his wife, came out to California in 1903.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1453

Besides working the land which he owns, Mr. Stelclc cultivates to barley some
fifty acres which he leases; and he raises alfalfa, feed corn and roughage for his
stock. He is a thorough stockman, perhaps the most aggressively progressive for
miles around Valley Home, as well as the most prosperous, and delights in doing
what he can whereby, when he attains an end for himself, he is also, scientifically
and industrially, advancing the common weal. Besides his ranches he owns several
lots in Valley Home. He came from Crawford County, Iowa, to the section then
known as Thalheim, about eighteen years ago, and is therefore a true California pioneer.

Mr. Stelck was married at Denison, in Crawford County, Iowa, to Miss Min-
nie Wolfer, a sister of Frederick Anton Schultz's first wife, and their fortunate
union has been blessed with five children. Clara and Malinda are in the Oakdale
high school; and the others are Albert Richard, Lilly and Wilma. Mr. Stelck sup-
ports the platforms of the Republican party, and whenever called upon for public
service, gladly does his duty by the community, and in the fall of 1920 he was a
member of the trial jury for four months.

FREDERICK ANTON SCHULTZ.— A native of Illinois who is making good
in California, is Frederick Anton Schultz, one of the first settlers at Valley Home.
He was born near Sterling, 111., on March 30, 1881, the son of Carl Schultz, a
native of Germany, who was married in Illinois to Miss Amelia Wicherts, a native
of Holland. When our subject was a boy, they removed to Ida County, Iowa, and
there farmed ; and in the Ida County public schools Frederick was educated. When
able to support himself, he left home and worked for others; then he rented a farm
in Iowa, and when twenty-one years of age was married there. Soon after, in the
spring of 1903, Mr. Schultz came out to California; and in the fall of that year, lie
settled at what was then called Thalheim. The valley was then a wheat field, with
a grain warehouse and a switch, and without a depot ; and he has seen it since expand
into one of the most promising places of its kind in Stanislaus County.

Mr. Schultz himself owns and operates twenty-eight acres at Valley Home in
the Thalheim precinct, all well-improved land, his home being only a few rods east
of the depot; and besides being an able, experienced farmer, he can operate machin-
ery, and run a power hay-press, and. also do carpenter and cement work and plaster-
ing. He studies the problems of agriculture, and is alive to everything likely to
make for the upbuilding of the town.

Mr. Schultz's first marriage, in Iowa, made him the husband of Miss Bertha
Wolfer, a native of that state, a devoted wife by whom he had two children, Louise
and Edwin. She died at Thalheim in 1908. Later Mr. Schultz was married to
Miss Frieda Laura Volkman, the daughter of F. D. Volkman, the pioneer of Thal-
heim, and now its oldest living resident. He came here about eighteen years ago,
built the widely-known Pioneer Hotel before there was ever a railroad depot here,
and from the beginning worked hard to make a town of the place, and to add another
American community to the many for which the Golden State is so famous.

ALBERT C. MONK. — An energetic, industrious young man, with a pleasing
personality and fortunate in the cooperation of his devoted wife, Albert C. Monk
is making a cosy and attractive home for his family at his ranch in Langworth pre-
cinct, two miles west of Oakdale on the State Highway. He was born, a native
son, in Stanislaus County, in the Westport district south of Modesto, on February
25, 1885, where his father, Louis Monk, was a pioneer. He was born in Bornholm,
Denmark, in 1856, and came to California in 1879. He settled at first in the West-
port district, and then in 1891 came up to Oakdale, and soon pitched his tent at
Claribel station. There he became the owner of some 700 acres, and for twelve
years he went in for dry farming. There, too, Albert drove as many as thirty-six
horses, hitched to the combined harvester and thresher. His father sold out in 1912
and moved to Oakdale, passing away in 1914. He had married Miss Minnie M.
Monk, and she was also a native of Bornholm, in Denmark, where she was born
in 1854. She died two years later than her husband. Two children were born to
this worthy couple, the elder being Albert C, the subject of our review, and the



1454 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

younger John L. Monk, proprietor of the Seventh Street Garage in Oakland. Dur-
ing the World War he was in the Signal Corps, and was sergeant in the head-
quarters company at San Francisco.

Albert Monk attended the Robinson district school until he was fifteen, and in
time he became the head man on his father's large farm, and so continued until near
to the time of his father's death. In 1914 he was married in Oakdale to Miss Carrie
Leidahl, who was born in Voss, Norway, the daughter of Stork and Ingeborg Lei-
dahl, who had eleven children. She sailed from Bergen, came to Chicago, later
lived in Minnesota, and in 1912 came out to California. Three children have
blessed their union, Laurence, Gerald and Ina.

After his marriage Albert Monk continued to reside in Oakdale until 1916,
when he purchased his present place of twenty-two acres on which he moved and
has since made his home. Sixteen acres are planted to almonds, five to alfalfa, and
one is reserved for an orchard. It is one of the finest ranches for the size along
the State Highway, and its superior qualities are due mainly to the intelligent devel-
opment of the land. Mr. Monk also owns a smaller place, on Walnut Avenue in
Oakdale, which he is developing with equal care.

JOHN W. ANTHIENY.— The manager of the Union Oil Company of New-
man, John W. Anthieny, a native born son, is one of the enterprising young men of
his vicinity. In Gilroy, Cal., he was born on May 18, 1891, the son of John J. and
Barbara Anthieny, farmers of Switzerland, who came to California in 1885, settling
first in Gilroy and later in Newman, where John W. Anthieny, Jr., received his
education in the grammar schools. At the age of sixteen he left home to seek his
own fortune and for a while did ranch and clerical work. In 1918, becoming inter-
ested in the oil industry, he drove a truck for the Union Oil Company and one year
later was made manager for the company at Newman.

He was married to Miss Blanche Smith, also a native-born daughter and the
daughter of Grant and Emma Jane Smith, ranchers, who settled in California in the
early days. Mrs. Anthieny was born and grew to womanhood in Los Banos, receiv-
ing her education there in the grammar and high schools. Mr. and Mrs. Anthieny
are affiliated with the Presbyterian Church at Newman and are Republicans.

JOSEPH GALEAZZI. — Descended from a distinguished Italian family, Joseph
Galeazzi is yet a genuine American, a man of influence and owner of two valuable
ranches in Stanislaus County, where he makes is home, eight miles northwest of
Modesto. Born at Piedmont, Italy, September 17, 1871, he is direct descendant of
Count Galeazzi and from a family well known among Italians. His father was
John Galeazzi, a farmer of means, who still resides in his home city, at the age of
eighty years. His mother was Piffero Maria, and has been dead for many years.
When he was twenty-three Mr. Galeazzi came to America, locating first at San
Simeon in San Luis Obispo County, where he worked on a farm. Later he went
into Del Norte County, where he met his wife, then Miss Katie Edgerton, a native
of Barrington, Cook County, 111., where she had resided until she was eleven. Her
father was Brainard Edgerton and her mother was Matilda Graham, the latter
passing away in 1880 when Mrs. Galeazzi was only eleven years old. Her father
was well and favorably known in Cook County, 111., where he served as justice of
the peace for many years. The Judge and his family came to California and settled
in Del Norte County, where he became owner of a ranch of 320 acres, and where
the daughter grew up, and where the father passed away in 1901.

The Edgertons trace their ancestry back to a distinguished old English family,
three brothers coming to America from England in the seventeenth century and locat-
ing in Harkness County, N. Y. An old chair made in England in the sixteenth
century is one of the treasured heirlooms of the family, and Prof. C. L. Edgerton,
of Los Angeles, a brother of Mrs. Galeazzi, has in his possession a teacher's certifi-
cate granted to the maternal grandmother, a Miss Jane Cady, of Harkness County,
N. Y., who had taught school in Rome, N. Y. Mrs. Galeazzi's father, Judge
Edgerton, was a stanch Republican and a veteran of the Civil War and a G. A. R.






HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1455

man. Three of her direct ancestors were in the War of the Revolution: Capt. Jede-
diah Edgerton, Michael Van de Bogart, on her mother's side, who came from Hol-
land, and a Mr. Tully, also on her mother's side.

Mr. and Mrs. Galeazzi have made four trips to Italy since their marriage,
which have been a source of much pleasure to the California girl. They are the
parents of two sons, John, now in the Modesto high school, and Brainard, of grammar
school age. Their present home place consists of sixty-seven acres on Beckwith Road
and it lies just across the road from the fifty-eight acres which constitute the second
ranch owned by Mr. and Mrs. Galeazzi. These places are well stocked with fine
high-grade Holstein cattle, numbering a hundred, including eighty milch cows, and
a registered Holstein herd sire. A partner in 'the dairy enterprise, and half-owner
in the stock and equipment, is Manuel M. Souza.

JOSEPH PAIONI. — A prominent representative of the Italian-Swiss colonies
in California, and an adopted son very loyal to America and the Golden State is
Joseph Paioni, a dairy farmer of the Prescott precinct, who owns thirty-seven acres
where he lives at the corner of Dale Road and Plaindale Avenue. Born in Canton
Ticino, in Switzerland, on October 25, 1869, from a boy he exhibited that intelli-
gence which made it certain that he would some day get to the front. His father
was Peter Paioni, who had married Mary Biaggi and they were farmer folk in
their native land. Joseph, therefore, grew up on a farm, and as a lad learned the
ABC, and even something more, of agriculture. His mother died when he was
fourteen, leaving four sons and a daughter.

The eldest in the family, Joseph was also the first to come to America, setting
forth into the world with a good elementary schooling obtained in the grammar
grades of the Swiss Republic. He left Switzerland in January, 1889, sailed from
Havre, and landed at old Castle Garden in New York City, after which he came
West by railway to San Francisco, reaching the Bay City in February, 1889. He
went up to Crescent City, in Del Norte County, and for two years worked on dairy
farms; and then he came south to Santa Barbara County, and ran a livery stable at
Guadalupe, continuing there for fourteen years. While there, he was married, in
January, 1899, to Miss Rosa Luiselli, also a native of Canton Ticino, Switzerland, a
daughter of Joseph and Josie Luiselli, where she was reared. She came to Guadalupe,
Cal., in 1891, where she had a sister living.

In 1911, Mr. Paioni removed to his present place near Modesto, a fine ranch
of nearly two score acres. He has not only bought this, but he has paid for it,
and is entirely out of debt; and so prosperous has he become, through hard work
and foresight, that he is able to keep forty cattle — one registered Holstein bull, thirty
milch cows and nine heifers. He is also renting forty acres of alfalfa near Salida,
which he devotes to dairying.

Mr. and Mrs. Paioni's married life has been unusually happy, and their joy
has been increased by the birth of four children: Romildo has charge of the Salida
place; Willie, Charles and Albert. Chas. Paioni, a brother of Mr. Paioni, a resi-
dent of San Jose, is at present in Switzerland on a visit, where he accompanied I. P.
Rossi. Mr. Paioni was made a citizen while a resident of Santa Barbara County
and is a stanch Republican.

JACOB L. OHMART. — A Hoosier who has made good in California and once
again afforded an illustration of the contribution by the East toward the development
of the West, is J. L. Ohmart, who was born near Bluffton in Wells County, Ind., on
November 20, 1865. His father was Noah Ohmart, a native of Ohio, a farmer by
occupation, who had married Miss Catherine Crompacker, a native of Virginia; and
they migrated to St. Clair County, Mo., in 1873. Mr. Ohmart was a man of sterling
Christian character, a natural leader and philanthropist; and in addition to following
agricultural pursuits, he gave some of his time to preaching. In this good, unselfish
work on behalf of his fellowmen, Mr. Ohmart was loyally assisted by his pious
wife, who came of a well-established family of Pennsylvania-Dutch, her parents having
migrated to Virginia and North Carolina in the beginning of the nineteenth century.



1456 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Having remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age, Mr. Ohmart was mar-
ried in St. Clair County to Miss Emma Belle Roerick, who was born near Plymouth,
Ind., and when seven years of age went with her parents to Missouri, where she was
later married. One child was born to them, a son, Clarence, now a rancher at Denair.

In 1891, Mr. Ohmart removed to Los Angeles, Cal., following his experience of
several years at farming in Missouri, and in time he took up his residence at Pomona,
where for twelve years he engaged in general hauling, house-moving and other contract
work. He also was interested in citrus culture and continued to operate in that field
until 1912 when he removed to Stanislaus County and concluded to stop a while at
Denair. Since then, with continued good health, he has enjoyed a marked degree of
success in both general farming and the dairy industry. He belongs to the Stanislaus
Farm Bureau and the Tri-County Farm Bureau Exchange. He is a Republican.

Mr. and Mrs. Ohmart, who are members of the Christian Church at Turlock,
in 1910 adopted a baby seven months old, the daughter of Robert Duckworth, a life-
long friend who had lost his wife; and they named the child Ona. She is now attend-
ing the Denair school. Mr. Ohmart's son, Clarence, has a very enviable military
record. He enlisted at San Francisco on May 29, 1918, and within three months was
serving overseas in the Four Hundred Forty-eighth Motor Truck Company as a cook.
He toured Southern France before his return, and on July 29, 1919, received his hon-
orable discharge. He is now in partnership with his father in the ranch management.

HANS KROGH, JR. — Hans Krogh, Jr., is one of the prosperous, energetic
young men of the community, and a native son of the Golden State. He is the son
of Hans and Marie Krogh, who came to California in 1876, settling at Hill's Ferry.
The father took an active part in the early development of the county, helping,
among other things, to put through the irrigation canal which has made Newman
one of the most productive and prosperous dairy sections on the Pacific Coast. Mr.
Krogh, Sr., purchased eighty acres under the irrigation canal, where he made his home
and reared his family of seven children, five sons and two daughters, all well and
favorably known in the community.

The splendid public schools of the county, including the Newman high school,
gave Hans Krogh, Jr., the right sort of start in life, and at the age of twenty-three
he is well on the road to success. He was born on the old home place, August 14,
1898, while his brother, Howard, with whom he is in partnership, was born Decem-
ber 3, 1900. At an early age these two young men started out for themselves, rent-
ing the John Smith ranch, owned by the Simon Newman Company, located seven
miles southwest of Newman. This ranch consists of 640 acres, devoted to grain
raising. The brothers had assisted their father in operating this ranch for four
years, and in 1917 they leased it themselves and for the past three years have farmed
it with merited success. They also raise stock, including cattle, horses and mules, sup-
plying their own farm animals from their herds. Mr. Krogh is a member of the
Odd Fellows of Newman, and past president of the Dania Order.

ALEXANDER M. BOGGS.— Even before the lure of gold had lifted its entic-
ing finger to the world in 1849, the parents of Alexander M. Boggs, one of New-
man's most successful grain ranchers, had found their way across the wide plains
and reached California in 1846, settling in Napa County. They were George W.
and Alabama (McMeans) Boggs, and were for many years actively identified with
the growth and development of the country, doing their full share to transform it
from a wilderness into the garden which their descendants now enjoy.

Alexander M. Boggs was born in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, February 5,
1879. When he was seven years of age his parents came to Modesto where the father
engaged in farming, renting the Winters Ranch of several thousand acres. For a
number of years he prospered, but a series of droughts forced him to give up farm-



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 169 of 177)