Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 170 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 170 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ing for a time and engage in other occupations. Later he returned to agricultural
pursuits. The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools of Modesto
and at an early age started out in life for himself. He came to Newman in 1898 and



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1457,

leased the old Al Crow ranch at Crows Landing, which he still farms. This ranch
consists of 2,000 acres of splendid grain lands, and is under a high state of cultivation
and fully equipped with modern tractors, implements and barns.

The marriage of Mr. Boggs and Miss Jenette Kneibes was solemnized in
August, 1905. Mrs. Boggs is a native Californian, her parents coming to California
at an early date and settling in the San Joaquin Valley, where Mr. Kneibes engaged
in farming. Later they removed to Newman, where Mrs. Boggs was born. They
have three children, Florence Evelyn, Luella and John.

Mr. Boggs is a patriotic American in the truest sense of the word. He enlisted
at the time of the Spanish-American War in B Troop, Fourth Regular U. S. Cavalry,
and saw active military service, being for more than a year in the Philippine Islands.
His political affiliations are with the Democratic party. He is a member of Modesto
Lodge No. 1282 B. P. O. E., and takes an active part in the affairs of the Native
Sons of the Golden West as a member of Orestimba Parlor at Crows Landing.

FRANK P. WOODS. — A successful dairyman who may well be proud of the
pioneer record of his father, who was a hale and hearty man at the age of eighty-nine,
when he died, December 27, 1920, is Frank P. Woods, ranching to the southeast of
Newman, who was born, a native son, near Salinas, in Monterey County, on January
10, 1873, the son of Joe and Mary Woods. The father, a native of Pico Isle, in the
Azores, came to the United States and California in 1852, at the age of twenty-
one, and for twelve years he was a seafaring man, employed on a merchant ship.
After that he took up mining in the Mariposa and the Idaho gold mines, and then he
spent four years at Santa Cruz, after which he went to Watsonville. He spent the
last twelve years of his life with his son, Frank. The mother also died at her son's
home in 1918, sixty-seven years old.

Frank Woods attended the district school, and after that he chose ranch work as
his daily occupation. He entered into partnership with his father, and continued in
business with him until 1904, when he came to Newman. At present he is farming
some forty acres of alfalfa and running a dairy farm with thirty head of milch cows
and about forty head of young stock. He raises all his own young stock and runs
them on the range southwest of Newman, and they are stock worth looking at.

On October 5, 1914, Mr. Woods was married in Newman to Miss Agnes Borba,
a native of Honolulu and the daughter of Antone and Mary (Amesburg) Borba.
Mrs. Woods' father was a merchant of Honolulu, and after his wife died in 1908,
Antone Borba and his daughter, Agnes, made a trip to Azores and then to different
cities in the East, and finally to California, and while visiting relatives at Newman,
Miss Borba met Mr. Woods, the acquaintance resulting in their marriage. Mrs.
Woods attended St. Anthony Convent, Honolulu, where Antone Borba still lives.

Mrs. Woods is a member of S. P. R. S. I. and the U. P. P. E. C, in Newman.
Mr. Woods, who is an ardent Republican, is a member of the Watsonville Portu-
guese lodge of the I. D. E. S., and also the Newman lodge of the U. P. E. C, and*
in each organization he enjoys a decided popularity.

ANTONIO S. BETTENCOURT.— A very enterprising young man who by
operating extensively with rich alfalfa land and a fine herd of well-selected cows is
doing his part to build up the important dairy interests of Stanislaus County, is
Antonio S. Bettencourt, who was born at Beira, on the balmy Isle of St. George, in
the Azores on April 19, 1893. His parents were Frank and Mary Bettencourt,
worthy farmer folk who sent him to school at Beira at the same time that they trained
him in practical, self-respecting work on the farm at home, and so sensibly prepared
him to take care of himself when grown to grapple with the world.

At the promising age of eighteen, he broke away from the familiar environment
of his birth and crossed the ocean to America. For three years he hired out as a farm
laborer, and after having spent fourteen months at Dixon, he removed to Crows
Landing. Here he rented 178 acres of alfalfa on the San Joaquin River, south of the
Orestimba Creek, and started a dairy; and such was his success in a field where he
was thoroughly informed, that he saw his herd grow to number 120 cows.



1458 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

When the war broke out, Mr. Bettencourt left the management of his ranch to
his brothers and sister, who had also come to America, and on November 3, 1917,
entered the service of the U. S. Army. He trained for two months at Camp Lewis
with the Ninety-first Division, and in January was transferred to the One Hundred
Fifty-eighth Infantry, Fortieth Division, and continued his training at Camp Kearney,
Cal. On August 11, 1918, he sailed for France, and there he remained with the same
division during his foreign service. The last three months he spent in Bordeaux, and
then, on May 3, 1919, he returned to the United States.

It was four years ago when Mr. Bettencourt's brother, Frank, and sister, Rosa,
came from St. George to gladden his heart, and a year ago, when a kindly Fate gave
him back to them, safe and sound, from the war-stricken Old World ; and in March,
1920, the other brother, Joaquin, arrived from the Azores. Mr. Bettencourt was
married in January, 1921, to Olipia Enos, also born in the Azores.

CHARLES R. ZACHARIAS.— The family represented by Charles R. Zacha-
rias, rancher of Patterson, is one identified with the pioneer history of Stanislaus
County. Charles R. Zacharias, whose name heads this sketch, was born on December
27, 1882, near Grayson, about two and a half miles northwest of where Patterson now
stands, the son of Charles and Emma Zacharias, the father having been born in Mary-
land, resided for a while in Michigan, migrating to the mining district of California
in 1862, where he worked in the Folsom mines for a number of years. In 1873 he
homesteaded land in the Grayson precinct, which he added to and improved until, at
the time of his death, which occurred in 1905, he had acquired 3,500 acres of grain
land on the West Side. The mother also passed away in the same year. Charles R.
Zacharias received his early education in the grammar school of the Haight district,
no longer in existence, later attending the high school of Modesto, had two years'
training in the University of California and graduated from the Oregon University
as a civil engineer in 1908. After completing his education Mr. Zacharias engaged in
the garage business in Eugene, Ore., for one year, and then returned in 1910 to
Modesto, where he had the agency for the Studebaker cars from 1910 to 1916, and
in connection therewith operated a repair shop. Having an interest in the home ranch
together with his brothers, Ralph H., Wilbur W. and Chester J., he returned to
Patterson and took up ranching.

Having had a short military training he responded to the call for volunteers and
in September, 1918, departed for Camp Taylor, entering the officers' training camp
for the field artillery; he was still in camp at the time the armistice was signed and
received his honorable discharge in November, 1918. He is a member of the American
Legion of Modesto. In political matters he gives his support to the Republican party,
and in fraternal circles is a Mason, belonging to Lodge No. 11, Eugene, Ore., and
Modesto Lodge No. 1282, B. P. O. Elks.

. ARNOLD KILCHER. — A Swiss-American who, having swung away from the
oldest and one of the most interesting Republics in the world, has enthusiastically
identified himself with the land of his adoption, is Arnold Kilcher, who was born
in the canton of Basel, Switzerland, on November 25, 1866, the son of Jacob and
Margaret Kilcher. His father was an industrious and well-situated farmer who
favored the education of his family; and Arnold enjoyed the best grammar school
advantages in a country famous for its common schools. When a young man, he
struck out into the world, crossed the ocean and came to America. Near Pittsburgh,
Pa., he found work for a while on a farm; but he received only eight dollars a month
in wages, and at the first opportunity moved on westward to Indiana, where he con-
tinued agricultural labor. There he had a chance to resume his studies, in the public
schools, and not only to acquire English, but also to get a better understanding of
American institutions. When he moved again, it was to go into McPherson County,
Kans., and there near Moundridge he pitched his tent for the first time. He pur-
chased a threshing machine and for the following eighteen seasons threshed grain for
the Kansas farmers. He also attended school again, such was his ambition to improve
himself, and he took a course at a commercial college.






HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1459

Mr. Kilcher then went to Oklahoma and succeeded in securing a quarter-section
claim in the Cherokee strip. He proved up on the claim and stayed there until 1900:
and then, having come under the spell of distant California, he sold what he had,
and came out to the Pacific Coast. He arrived in Los Angeles, but attractive as was
the Southland, he went north to Salem, Ore. There he bought a farm of 140 acres,
and embarked in grain and cattle-raising; but at the end of two years he sold out
and came back to California and Fresno. He purchased forty acres of raw land, and
set out with his own hands twenty acres to grapes, while he devoted the balance to
grain and miscellaneous farming. At the end of three years, he sold that ranch and
went to Colton, in San Bernardino County, where he became caretaker of an orange
grove for three years. He next cared for a thirty-acre grove at San Bernardino for
two years, and then he moved to San Fernando, where he rented 178 acres. Sixty
acres were in grapes, and fifty in alfalfa, and the rest of the land was used for the
raising of grain ; and with that undertaking he busied himself for a year.

From San Fernando Mr. Kilcher moved to Modesto, where he rented forty
acres of alfalfa near Claus ; but at the end of the year, that is, in 1919, he came to
Patterson Colony and purchased twenty acres of alfalfa. He placed twenty head of
milch cows there, and established one of the best dairies for miles around. Mr.
Kilcher is known as a well-informed, thoroughly up-to-date farmer, pursuing the
latest, most scientific methods, and his products are therefore popular.

On Thanksgiving Day, in 1911, Mr. Kilcher was married at Colton to Miss
Mary Fry, a native of Switzerland, who was born near the scene of his nativity. Her
father was a wagon-maker and, it is needless to say, one of the best in all the canton.
Two children — Paul and Ellen — have blessed this fortunate union ; and they are
both among the bright pupils of the grammar school at Patterson. In national poli-
tics a Republican, Mr. Kilcher is too broad-minded to allow partisan preferences to
interfere with his energetic support of whatever is thoroughly endorsed by the com-
munity as best for local needs. While at Salem, Ore., he joined the Masons.

S. G. WALLACE. — A public-spirited citizen, and one who is much interested in
the development of the great resources of the state and also in the preservation of our
historical landmarks and mementoes, is S. G. Wallace, well-known hotel man and
farmer, who has been a resident of the Patterson district since 1916. Mr. Wallace
is exceptionally familiar with the great state of California, knowing southern and
northern sections equally well, and being an enthusiastic booster for every part of the
commonwealth. Mrs. Wallace is descended from one of the early pioneer families,
and Mr. Wallace himself has made the state his home for more than thirty years. He
is a native of Illinois, born at Peoria, December 4, 1866, the son of William H. and
Charlotte Ann Wallace. The father was a farmer and of Scotch descent, and was the
first white child to be born in Knox County, Illinois.

When S. G. Wallace was only a year old his family removed to Cass County,
Mo., where the father bought land and became a farmer on an extensive scale. The
public schools of Garden City, near which the family lived, provided means for his
education, and later, after he was out in the world for himself, he completed a busi-
ness college course at Omaha, Nebr. When he was eighteen years of age, Mr. Wal-
lace left home and struck out for himself, going to Talmage, Nebr., where for six
years he worked for wages on various farms, saving his money and during that time
completing his education.

It was during the summer of 1891 that he determined to come to California, and
landed in San Francisco on October 31 of that year; he then went down to San Jose,
where he became associated with the San Jose and Santa Clara Street Car Company,
remaining in their employ for a year. He then spent some time going from place to
place, being for a time in Southern California, located principally near Pomona and
Riverside, and also spending considerable time in the northern part of the state. He
found no place, however, which he liked better than the central part of the state, and
returning to San Jose, he was there married to Miss Jessie McDermet, on May 24,
1894. Mrs. Wallace is the daughter of J. W. and Amelia McDermet, her father
being one of the early pioneers, having come to California in 1868 from Ohio, where



1460 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

he was a prosperous farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace have one child, a daughter,
Pearl, residing at home with her parents.

Following his marriage Mr. Wallace remained for several years in San Jose,
employed in various enterprises during that time. In 1900 he settled down to farm-
ing, in which he was very proficient, and bought a ten-acre farm in Kings County,
near Lemoore. He soon sold this and bought thirty-one acres devoted to diversified
farming and the raising of alfalfa, and farmed it successfully for seven years. He
then went to Los Gatos, where he became proprietor of the Beckwith Hotel, and for
the succeeding ten years he engaged in the hotel business with great profit, making in
that time a wide circle of friends throughout the state.

In September, 1916, he sold his Los Gatos interests and came to Patterson, pur-
chasing a ten-acre place on Locust Avenue, just south of Pomelo, and devoted to the
raising of alfalfa. Mr. Wallace has become interested in the raising of turkeys, and
has met with such marked success that he is now known as one of the most extensive
turkey raisers in the county. In the fall of 1920 he produced for the market more
than 150 fine birds. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wallace take an active interest in social and
civic affairs, and are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Wallace is a Repub-
lican in his politics and takes an appreciative interest in governmental affairs of the
county, state and nation. Fraternally he is a popular member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and of the Woodmen of the World, being affiliated with the
Los Gatos lodges of these orders, and he has held all the various chairs.

HENRY HUBER. — A pioneer of California, Henry Huber has been a resident
of this state since 1877, well over forty years. He has been intimately identified with
its growth and development, and has seen the great changes which have taken place in
this county during those years, transforming it from a grain and cattle country into
a land of beautiful homes, orchards, meadows, vineyards, all under a high state of
cultivation, and threaded everywhere with wide, well-kept streets and boulevards.

Mr. Huber is a self-made man in the truest sense of the word, and has wrought
through his own industry and application, until he is now one of the prosperous and
highly esteemed men of the community, residing at Patterson, where he is one of the
engineers of the Standard Oil Company. He was born in Wuertemberg, Germany,
near Apolingen, January 25, 1869. His father was Christ Huber and his mother
Sophie (Russ) Huber, both natives of Germany. The father was a farmer, but
under the iron heel of militarism, served in the army in Bismarck's day. He came to
California in 1877, when the subject of this sketch was but ten years of age, making
the journey by the Isthmus of Panama. The family located for a time in Santa Clara
city and later at Los Banos, where they remained for a year and a half. They then
went to the Hill's Ferry vicinity, where, in 1880, they bought a farm between Hill's
Ferry and the present location of Newman. Here our Mr. Huber spent his days
attending the Hill's Ferry school and helping his father on the farm. But the farm
did not appeal to him, and when he was fifteen years old he determined to start out
for himself. Accordingly, answering the call of the city, he went to San Francisco
and took up the blacksmithing trade, specializing first as a wheelwright, and later
mastering the trade of general blacksmithing, becoming a proficient workman in
all lines. Later he went to Tacoma, Wash., and for three years followed his trade
there. He then returned to Stanislaus County, working at his trade at Newman, until
May, 1907, when he again went to San Francisco, where he engaged in the teaming
business, remaining but a short time until he again returned to Newman. For a short
time he worked at his trade, and then became associated with the Standard Oil Com-
pany, with which he has since remained. In 1907 he was transferred to the Emerald
Station as engineer, and located in Patterson, where he has since made his home.

Mr. Huber was married in San Francisco, January 25, 1902, to Miss Nellie J.
Geoffroy, a native of Kansas, but a resident of Newman since her early girlhood, and
educated in the Newman schools. They have one daughter, Helen. Mr. Huber is
an enthusiastic booster for Stanislaus County and a firm believer in the glory of its
future. He is a true American and always may be counted upon to aid and cooperate
in every way for the general welfare of the community.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1461

MRS. L. ROESSLER. — Interesting among the women who are active in suc-
cessfully advancing the valuation of California land, Mrs. L. Roessler is the enter-
prising owner of the seventeen-acre tract called the Anderson Subdivision at Crows
Landing, which will undoubtedly in time be included in the town area. She was
born in Tuolumne County, Cal., the daughter of Walter Bacon, who helped Mr.
McPike drive cattle across the plains in 1849, and who later married Miss Diana
Conway, one of a party to cross the plains in a prairie schooner drawn by ox-teams
in 1850. From Tuolumne County, Mr. and Mrs. Bacon moved to Modesto when
our subject was nine years old; and there she attended the grammar schools.

In Modesto, in 1886, too, she was married to Samuel Anderson, a native of Den-
mark, who had come to America when he was eighteen, had stopped for a while in
Ohio, and then came to Modesto, where he worked for Sorenson & Peterson, who
had the brewery. In 1889 Mr. and Mrs. Anderson removed to Crows Landing and
here they lived until 1911, when Mr. Anderson died. He was popular as a member
of the Knights of Pythias.

On December 28 of the following year, Mrs. Anderson married G. F. Roessler,
a native of Kentucky, who had come to California when he was fifteen years of age.
He became a blacksmith and for years has followed that trade. For a number of
years before coming to Crows Landing, he had shops in various places, particularly
in Nevada, and on arriving here, he established a partnership with Joe Polo and com-
menced the business, successful from the start, which he now conducts alone, while
Mrs. Roessler gives her attention to the subdividing of the Anderson Tract. A large
meeting hall has been built there, and unusually attractive inducements made to those
who would settle, improve and help develop the acreage.

Two children blessed the first union of Mrs. Roessler, and both of the sons had
the honor of serving their country in the late war. Walter S. Anderson, who is with
the Valley Ice Plant at Modesto, entered the service in May, 1918, as a member oi
the One Hundred First Cavalry, trained at Camp Kearney, and became first ser-
geant; and he returned home in 1919, just one year from the date he had enlisted.
James Emery, who is associated with the oil company at Patterson, enlisted in the
California Volunteers, trained at Atlanta and also became a first sergeant.

CHARLES S. LEE. — Numbered among the loyal citizens of Patterson, who
have at all times the community's interest at heart, is Charles S. Lee, who has always
been a leader in carrying to a successful completion any plans for the general welfare
of his vicinity. He was born on December 9, 1855, while the family were residing in
Iowa, the son of William E. and Esther Lee. The father was a native of West
Virginia, who came to Iowa in 1849, engaging in farming there on preempted land
and later becoming a Methodist minister.

Having obtained the rudiments of his education in his native county, Charles S.
Lee completed his studies in the Tipton, Iowa, high school and a commercial college
at Davenport, in that state. Removing to Kansas in 1879, he homesteaded in Lane
County, in the western part of the state, for one year and then engaged in the stock
business with his brother, William Lee, a printer by trade, who had previously oper-
ated a printing shop in partnership with John Rider at Wilton Junction. The
brothers continued as stock raisers, owning 150 head of cattle, which they kept on
the Government range, until 1886, when, owing to the heavy losses they sustained,
caused by the blizzard of that winter, they were compelled to seek another occupation.
From 1886 to 1888 they operated the business they had opened on the Smoky Hill
River and also had charge of the post office there.

Coming to California in 1910, Charles S. Lee lived for two months at Oakland
and then removed to Hollister for a short time, finally settling at Patterson, and in
the fall of that year purchased a ten-acre alfalfa ranch on Apricot Avenue and an acre
of land adjoining the city limits of Patterson on which his home is situated. In 1914
he disposed of the ranch, retaining his homestead. For four seasons he was engaged
in carrying the school children from the Patterson colony to the Patterson grammar
school, and from 1917 to March, 1921, was with the Mineral Products Company.



1462 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

On February 25, 1888, in Gibson, Kans., Mr. Lee was married to Miss Hattie
E. Upjohn, who was born in Decatur County, Ind., near Greensburg, the daughter of
Robert E. and Rhoda A. Inscho, her father being a native of England who came to
America in the early days and who passed away when his daughter was eighteen months
old. Mrs. Lee was reared and educated in the county of her birth and in 1879 re-
moved with her mother and stepfather to Kansas, where they settled in Trego County,
the latter engaging in raising grain and stock on a quarter section of school land
which he had acquired. Mr. and Mrs. Lee are the parents of the following children :
Jessie F., the present Mrs. Owen of Huntington Beach ; William Robert, a resident
of Fresno; Charles Rosco, living at Brea; Warren Clayton at San Dimas ; Ella May,
Mrs. Ralph Loomis of Tulare; Esther Rhoda, living at home; and Lillian Margaret, a
student at the high school of Patterson. In politics, Mr. Lee supports the Republican
party, and in religion is a member of the Methodist Church.

ERICK A. ERICKSON.— A native of Sweden who has become a loyal and
patriotic American and a prosperous and highly esteemed citizen of Stanislaus County,
is Erick A. Erickson, owner of a valuable twelve-acre fruit and dairy ranch at Patter-
son, where he has made his home for ten years past. Mr. Erickson came to America
when he was a young man of twenty-three years, and has made this country his home
since then. He has built a comfortable modern residence, barns and other outbuildings,
and keeps a dairy of ten cows. He is recognized as a man of substantial worth,
progressive and keenly alive to all that is for the welfare of the community.

The son of Erick and Christine Erickson, and born in Gefle, Sweden, August 24,
1865, Erick A. Erickson spent his boyhood days on his father's farm and in attendance
at the public schools at Jarbo. Until he was twenty-three years of age he resided at



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 170 of 177)