Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 174 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 174 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1479

position in a dairy. He remained there for three years, at twenty-five dollars a month ;
and in 1896 he bought a half interest in a dairy in Monterey County, joining in part-
nership with his brother-in-law, Joe Victorino, but the venture was unprofitable on ac-
count of the hard times. Having received his citizenship papers in 1900, Mr. Correia
returned home in 1900 to visit his parents, and on August 24 returned to California.

In 1901, Mr. Correia moved to Gracey, Stanislaus County, taking his dairy with
him ; but owing to an epidemic among the cattle that year, he lost many of his cattle,
and in 1902, he came to Crows Landing. On September 4, 1905, he bought sixty-six
acres, and on February 14, 1910, he added the adjoining forty-two acres.

At Oakland, on June 24, 1906, Mr. Correia was married to Miss Mary Alvernas,
the daughter of F. A. and M. A. Alvernas, and on March 3, 1910, he took his wife
and baby, and once again returned for a visit to the Azores, sailing for California on
March 14 of the next year, and arriving here fourteen days later. In 1912, he bought
sixty-five acres more of land, and eight years later he purchased another twenty acres.
Now he has a home ranch of 193 acres of land. Four children have blessed the
wedded life of Mr. and Mrs. Correia : Joe is fourteen years of age ; Evelyn is nine ;
Earl is two years younger, and Elizabeth is five. Mr. Correia decided, years ago,
that the platforms of the Republican party suited him best. The family attend the
Roman Catholic Church.

FRED W. N. SIEM. — A practical, scientifically informed agriculturist who has
been more than ordinarily successful, thereby demonstrating the value of preparation,
foresight and conscientious attention to details, is Fred Siem, who was born in Heide,
Schleswig, Germany, on December 20, 1858, the son of Reimer Siem, who was a stock
dealer, later active in Hamburg, to which city he removed. There were six children
in the family, and one is in America.

The second eldest, Fred, was brought up on a farm near Hamburg, and sent to
the public schools in Northern Germany. He learned the ins and outs of the stock
business, as well as the butcher's trade, and followed that line until 1890, when he sold
out and crossed the ocean to America, ending his journey in California and at Turlock.

Here he engaged in the butcher trade, but he soon branched out into the stock
business, and bought and shipped cattle, sheep and hogs. He also engaged in grain
raising for some years, and owns a valuable tract of land in Stanislaus County. Still
he has remained principally a stock dealer, and one of great importance to the San
Francisco market, his good judgment, honesty and valuable connections enabling him
to gather together and ship there just what is needed.

While still at Hamburg, Mr. Siem was married on June 2, 1879, to Miss Caroline
Lange, a native of Plon, near Kiel, and they have had two children, who have blessed
their happy home life. Ernest is in the stock business with his father, and Augusta has
become Mrs. Burkhardt and helps preside over the home of her esteemed parents.

HUBERT G. KUMLE. — How much practical experience is required to make
a success of gold-dredging Hubert G. Kumle, one of the ablest superintendents in that
field in California can tell, for he directs the La Grange Gold Dredging Company,
rated as among the most successful concerns now operating, notwithstanding the fact
that it has met and wrestled with a number of perplexing situations. Mr. Kumle is
a native son, having been born at Brownsville, Yuba County, Cal., on June 21, 1S80,
the eldest of six children.

His father, Peter Kumle, was a native of the same town in Yuba County, and he
married Julia Page, who was born at Indiana Ranch, in Yuba County. Peter
Kumle's father was John Kumle, a native of Wuertemberg, Germanv, who came to
America, stopped for a while in New York State, and from there sailed around the
Horn, and in 1851 landed at San Francisco. He had been married in Germany; and
settling at San Francisco, he proceeded to establish himself as a stone and brick ma-
son, while he also went in for gold mining. Ed Page, the maternal grandfather,
was born in Indiana and became a pioneer of Yuba County. He crossed the great
plains from the Hoosier State with ox-teams, and reached California in 1851, and
the next year he was married at Indiana Ranch. His father was born in France, and



1480 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

came out to Indiana to join the French colony there. One of the Pages was once
mayor of Paris, France. Peter Kumle died in 1891, but his faithful widow still lives
at Sacramento, in her sixty-sixth year.

Hubert Kumle grew up in Yuba County, where he attended the public schools,
after which he studied at the Stockton Business College. Later, he completed the
courses in mechanical engineering and placer mining in the International Correspond-
ence School; and then he started as a quartz miner at Indiana Ranch. Next he went
to Forbestown, where he found employment as a quartz miner, and then to Brown's
Valley, -where he was employed in the same way. Next he entered the service of the
Bellevue Mining Company, in Sierra County as a placer miner, and after that to
Oroville, where he worked on the third dredge ever operated in California.

Mr. Kumle was next engaged for ten years with the pioneer dredger king of
California, W. P. Hammon, at Hammonton, in Yuba County, and rose to be dredge
foreman. Then he went to Folsom City, Sacramento County, where he engaged as
foreman and superintendent for the Natomas Company, from 1913 to 1918. He
came to La Grange in 1918, and at once associated himself with John G. Barker, of
the Hotel Richelieu in San Francisco, who is the chief stockholder, and also president
and general manager of the La Grange Gold Dredging Company. As has been stated,
the Company has been very successful, although it has had much to contend against.
On January 31, 1921, the company's dredger capsized, the hull having evidently sprung
a leak, or become water-logged. The company is now building a new dredger, which
will be ready for dredging about January 1, 1922.

In 1902, in Wyandotte, Cal., Mr. Kumle was married to Miss Minnie Lothrop,
a native of New York, and they have had six children. Hubert Reginald works on
a dredge at Folsom City. Harold is a student at the Modesto high school. And
Donald, Bernice and Bethel are pupils in the grammar school. A daughter, Una, died
at Hammonton when she was eighteen days old. In 1919 Mr. Kumle bought a resi-
dence at Modesto. Mr. Kumle is a noble grand of the La Grange Lodge No. 65, of
the I. O. O. F., and he is also a member of Rose's Bar Masonic Lodge No. 89, F.
& A. M., at Smartville, in Yuba County.

GEORGE W. BOWLES.— Newcomers to the Hickman precinct, George W.
Bowles and his interesting family are making a decided success of their farming the
historic Dallas Ranch there with its 175 rich acres. He himself is a native son, and
was born near Cambria, San Luis Obispo County on November 7, 1870. His father,
Caleb Bowles, a cousin of Senator Hearst, left Missouri in 1851, and reached Ne-
vada County, Cal., in 1852. There he followed mining, and in San Francisco he
married Ellen Patton, a native of Missouri, who came to California about 1864.
She crossed the Isthmus of Panama with the Appersons, parents of the late Mrs.
Phoebe Hearst, and as Mrs. Hearst and Ellen Patton were girlhood friends, they
continued friends through the lifetime of the California philanthropist, who each year
sent Mrs. Bowles some carefulby-selected gift, and received in turn, from the Bowies',
the best turkey anywhere obtainable, and despatched just in time for Thanksgiving.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Bowles continued to live at Birchville, Mr.
Bowles having mined for eighteen years in Nevada and Placer counties. Then he
moved down into San Luis Obispo County, near Cambria, and for five years was
active there in dairy farming; and later he was a dairyman in San Simeon, where our
subject grew up, save for two or three years in Contra Costa County, where Mr.
Bowles died, in 1891, aged sixty-one years. He owned a farm of 365 acres at San
Simeon and 360 acres in Contra Costa County. Mrs. Bowles still lives at Ripon,
Cal., seventy-nine years of age. There were three children in the family. Margaret
is now Mrs. Martinelli, a dairy farmer at Ripon. George William Bowles is the
subject of our story. And Phoebe, named after Mrs. Hearst, is the wife of Bethel
Coates, a rancher of Contra Costa County.

George went to the district schools, but owing to his father's failing health, he
was compelled, when sixteen years old, to leave off studying. He was descended,
however, from good old English stock and the grandson of Judge Bowles, a judge of
the Supreme Court of Missouri, and being thus well endowed by heredity, he started



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1481

out resolved on "making good." While living in Contra Costa County he was mar-
ried in San Francisco, and then he moved to San Luis Obispo County, and for ten
years farmed there on the home ranch owned by himself and his mother.

He then put in seven years at New Almaden in Santa Clara Valley, dairying at
first and then raising stock and following general farming on a ranch owned by him
and his mother. In 1915 he traded their Santa Clara stock farm for 250 acres in the
Hickman precinct, one mile east of Hickman, and here he has lived with his family
ever since, his interest in the ranch being 175 acres. At present he is engaged mainly in
general or mixed farming, although dairying is also an important source of his income.
He is planting fruit trees and vines, and in a few years his farm will no doubt contain
large vineyards and orchards, since this part of Stanislaus County is fast becoming a
fruit section, with an ample water supply for irrigation.

When Mr. Bowles married, he took for his wife Miss Anna Kaiser, who has long
been to him a helpful companion. Mrs. Bowles was also born near Cambria, the
daughter of Win. E. and Mary Ellen (Doty) Kaiser, born in Canada and Sacramento.
Grandfather Kaiser moved his family" to Canada from the States for a few years, and
while they resided there Win. E. Kaiser was born. Later he came to New York,
then to California, where he married. Both now reside in Santa Cruz. They had
three children, Mrs. Bowles being the eldest. They have seven children to add to
their happiness: Mary is the eldest; then come Annie, Nelson, Anderson, George
Washington, Phoebe Jane; and last, but not least, Samuel. Hospitable always, the
Bowles home is a center of good will and good cheer.

MICHAEL E. ANGELO. — An enterprising young business man of Modesto
who is making such a success under his environment that he is confident Modesto and
Stanislaus County will grow to far larger proportions and wealth, is Michael Angelo,
one of the proprietors of the San Francisco Fruit Market, a native of classic Greece.
He was born, reared and educated at Tripoles, where he remained until 1904, when he
determined to come across the ocean to the New World. In August of that year he
arrived at San Francisco, and ever since he has been as devoted as any native son in
endeavoring to advance the welfare of the Golden State.

He had become well established in the grocery trade in the Bay City, and was
making of it the same success as has characterized all of his operations; but in 1914 he
saw a good opening in Modesto, and selling out his interests at San Francisco, he came
inland and started the fruit business long identified with his name. He opened a store
on H Street, between Tenth and Eleventh; and when the Farmers National Bank
was removed from the corner of H and Tenth streets, he leased the location and set up
his establishment on his present site. From the beginning, Mr. Angelo has been
carrying a large assortment of fruit ; and as much attention is given to the arrangement
of his stock, and also to the order and neatness of the store, the whole forms a beauti-
ful and pleasing site, and is notable also as the largest store of its kind in the county.

Mr. Angelo has fully demonstrated his strong confidence in the future of the
city by investing extensively in city property; and in 1916 he took into partnership
with him Thomas Giahos, a fellow-countryman, and since then they have conducted
their fruit exchange as the San Francisco Fruit Market, meeting with more and more
favor and patronage on the part of the public.

WILLIAM C. HEISEL. — A man of excellent character and sterling worth,
William C. Heisel has succeeded through intelligence, hard work and perseverance
aided by a devoted wife, and is considered one of the prosperous ranchers of the
Empire neighborhood. He was born in Dauphin County, Pa., near what is now
Hershey, February 19, 1858, the son of John and Fannie (Conrad) Heisel, born in
Germany and Pennsylvania, respectively. John Heisel served in a Pennsylvania
regiment in the Civil War. Leaving Pennsylvania when our subject was only eight
years of age, they settled at Shannon, Carroll County, 111., on a sixty-acre farm. They
were the parents of nine children, William C. being the oldest of the family. At an
early age he aided his parents providing a living, beginning by working out by the month
when he was seventeen years old and continued this for the next ten years. Having



1482 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

heard of the opening of land in Western Kansas, he went there and took up a 160-
. acre homestead and a 160-acre tree claim at Hill City, Graham County, Kans, which
he proved up in seven years time, his property advancing a great deal in value.

On April 6, 1890, Mr. Heisel was married at Edmond, Norton County, Kans.,
to Miss Anna Doolittle, who was born in Leavenworth, Ind., a daughter of Alonzo
and Mary (Todlock) Doolittle, also natives of Leavenworth. The father served in an
Indiana regiment in the Civil War, and now makes his home at Broken Bow, Okla.
Her mother having died when she was only two years old, she lived with her Grand-
mother Tadlock in Indiana, until when nineteen she came to Kansas with an aunt and
uncle. Mr. and Mrs. Heisel continued to live in Kansas for the next seventeen years,
then in 1907 moved to Butte Valley, Siskiyou County, Cal., but only lived there a
year, when they moved again, this time to Chico, Cal., and spent another year there
before coming to Empire, Cal., September, 1909, where they have made their home.
After making several trips to this territory looking over the different places which
they thought might prove to make a satisfactory home, they decided upon Empire, and
bought twenty acres here. There were seven children: Nina E., Dee L., Grace,
Wealthy, Inez, Mary, Frances, born at Chico, and Anna Kathryn, born at Empire.
They have made all the improvements, building the house in which they live, and
most of the land is planted to small grain and peas.

Mr. Heisel was compelled to give up some of his activities about two years ago,
owing to a nervous breakdown. His son, Dee L., who ran the farm while his father
was ill, also served his country during the late World War, spending eleven months
in the service at Camp Lewis, later receiving an honorable discharge ; Nina is the wife
of John Worth, rancher, residing west of Empire, and they are the parents of one
child, Lena. Grace is the wife of Rev. C. Ernest Davis, a minister in the Church of
the Brethren at Live Oak, Cal.; "they have two children, Phillip and Barbara.
Wealthy is the wife of B. J. Forsman, a rancher at Hickman, Cal., and is the mother
of three children, Clyde, Donald and George. Dee L., Inez, Mary, Frances and
Anna are at home. Mr. and Mrs. Heisel stand high in the Church of the Brethren
at Empire, where for many years he has served as deacon. During his residence in
Kansas, Mr. Heisel served on the schol board, and was the clerk for many years.

JOHN GULART. — What the energetic, ambitious young man has been able to
accomplish in the California commercial world is well illustrated in the career of
John Gulart, who came from the Azores as a mere boy, mastered English, acquired
title to several ranches and has firmly established himself as a successful business man.
He was born at Norte Grande, St. George Isle, on June 12, 1897, the son of Joac
and Mary Gulart, and arrived in California in 1912, when he settled at Benicia,
Solano County. He attended the graded schools near Benicia, at the same time that
he worked on a dairy ranch ; but after seventeen months he removed to Gridley,
where he continued both ranch work and his schooling. In 1914, he went to Crows
Landing, in Stanislaus County, and for sixteen months he hired out there on a ranch.

Mr. Gulart's next step marked a decided advance. In 1916 he accepted a position
as traveling representative of a portrait-making gallery, and for two years he covered
Humboldt County, Visalia and Santa Cruz and their environs, and the Sacramento
Valley; and in 1918 he came to Newman, taking up real estate and life and fire
insurance, and in this field he has been an aggressive leader ever since, writing policies
elsewhere than in his residence district, and easily controlling the local field.
Mr. Gulart has been successful in other material respects than in his realty and
underwriting ventures. He has come to own sixty acres of alfalfa in Patterson, and
fifty-five acres across the river in Stevenson. Both of these farm properties are suffi-
ciently good to reflect creditably on Mr. Gulart's judgment in investing in them.

On June 12, 1919, Mr. Gulart married Miss Freda Zwissig, a native of San
Francisco and the daughter of John and Josephine Zwissig. Her father was a dairy-
man, and came from Switzerland in the middle eighties, bringing to America with
him a valuable knowledge of the dairying industry. Mr. Gulart is a popular member
of the Foresters of America, and with his wife lias a wide circle of friends.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1483

GEORGE NIELSON. — Well known and highly esteemed in his community for
his integrity of character is George Nielson, a grain rancher of Stanislaus County.
He was born on April 15, 1875, on Alsen Isle near Sonderborg, Denmark, and is the
son of George and Carrie (Clausen) Nielson, his father being a stone and brick
mason of Alsen Isle. He was reared and educated in the land of his birth and when
only fifteen years of age went forth to seek his own fortune. He came to America
in 1890, coming to California. The first ten years in the land of his adoption were
spent working for Miller & Lux, ranchers at Los Banos. He then started farming
for himself in the hills, west of Los Banos, leasing from 700 to 2.000 acres of land.
He next farmed on the Alvarado Ranch of Simon Newman, near Los Banos Creek,
and later his present place of 800 acres, known as the Fred Bartch ranch. His time
and attention has always been given entirely to grain raising and he owns a Holt
sixty-five horsepower tractor and a Hauser-Haines combined harvester, and com-
plete equipment necessary for farming on a large scale.

Desiring again to see the land where his boyhood days were spent he took a trip
to Denmark in 1906-07, where he spent some time among old friends and neighbors.
After his return in April, 1907, in Newman, he was married to Marie Albertson, a
native of Aeroe Isle, Denmark, the daughter of Capt. E. N. and Ellen K. Albertson,
her father being a sea captain on a merchant marine sailing vessel engaged in coast-
ing trade. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Nielson: Ellen, Mabel and
George. Mr. Nielson is a Democrat and a member of the I. O. O. F. of Los Banos.

ANTONIO D. REZENDES.— An excellent representative of the dairy farmers
of Stanislaus County, is Antonio D. Rezendes, a loyal Californian and one of the
most public-spirited citizens working hard to develop and expand the favored Golden
State. He was born on the Isle of Santa Maria, in the balmy Azores, on August 25,
1870, the son of Victor and Anna Rezendes, and until his seventeenth year he helped
his father, who was an expert stonemason, after which time he left home for America.

Striking west for California, he came first to Marin County, in 1887, and for
seven years hired out to work for wages on a dairy ranch near Tomales. He then
leased 666 acres of pasture and hay land near that place, and ranged there 100 cows.
He also went into the chicken business, and raised some 3,500 laying hens. After hav-
ing been thus engaged from 1894 until 1906, Mr. Rezendes sold the entire holding
and gave up his lease.

For the next two years, he rented a farm of 412 acres in the same vicinity, and
starting anew to raise poultry, he again had some 2,000 laying hens. He also raised
and bought cattle until he had seventy-rive head of cows on his place. In 1908, he
again sold off his stock and then he bought a grain farm of 320 acres near Fallon, and
once more started to stock up a ranch. He had a smaller dairy, with only thirty head
of cattle, but he soon owned 2,500 laying hens.

When he finally sold out, in 1915, he came to Crows Landing, in Stanislaus
County, and bought forty-eight acres of alfalfa east of Crows Landing; and on this
ranch he had a dairy with forty head of cows. In 1918, he sold out his Crows Landing
ranch and came to Patterson, where he bought eighty-three acres on the corner of
Sycamore and Pomegranate Avenue; the pasturage is of alfalfa, and he has sixty-three
head of the finest milch stock obtainable.

Mr. Rezendes has been twice married. On June 21, 1896, he was united with
Miss Anna Gasson, a native of Tomales, and they had four children — Antone, Ange-
lina, Dora, and Frank. On January 17, 1911, Mr. Rezendes married Miss Anna
Moura, who was born at Santa Maria, in the neighborhood of Mr. Rezendes' birth-
place in the Azores; she was the daughter of Joseph and Umbelena Moura, and her
father was a farmer. She came to America when she was in her twentieth year; and
now she has a son, named Daniel. Mr. Rezendes, who took out his citizenship papers
in 1895 — an event in his life of which he is naturally very proud — has handsomely
improved his eighty-three acres, some of the finest alfalfa land in all Stanislaus County,
and has erected there a fine bungalow, a large barn, and other farm buildings. In 1899
he took a trip to his native land, returning to America with his mother and brother.
Joaquin ; his mother stayed only a short time, and then went back to Portugal. In



1484 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

1903, she came out to America again, and this time she brought a daughter, Mary.
In 1905, Mr. Rezendes again took a trip of two months to his native land. In
national politics, he is a Republican; but he is too broad-minded to adhere to party
lines when it comes to supporting any local measure or local candidate having the
approval of those competent to judge, and he is ever ready to "boost" for the com-
munity or locality in which he lives, labors and prospers.

CARL H. MEDLIN. — A young, but enterprising and public-spirited citizen of
Stanislaus County is Carl H. Medlin, the eldest son of David G. Medlin, who for a
score and a half of'years operated the famous old Day Ranch. He was born in Sum-
ner County, Tenn., in 1849, came to California in 1875, bringing after him his father
and mother, Green L. and Eliza Medlin, and settled at Crows Landing. In
1885 he married Miss Clementine Frances McMurtry, of Tennessee, and six years
later he bought a half- section of land one mile west of Crows Landing. They had
eleven children, and our subject was the second in the order of birth.

He was born on the old Day Ranch on November 28, 1887, went to the Bonita
grammar school, and then took a course at the Modesto Business College. After a
profitable boyhood on the home ranch, he struck out at the age of sixteen, and for a
number of years hired out to others for ranch labor. In 1912-13 he farmed the old
Buck Ranch belonging to Mrs. Morton, and as he cultivated some 1,500 acres
devoted to grain, he had plenty of responsibility and added a deal to his experience.
In 1912 he was about the only farmer in the vicinity of Patterson to pull a har-
vester; and although crops generally were small, Carl had a bountiful return, and
one that he could point to with modest pride. For the past year, he worked the
Jennie Purvis ranch near Westley ; and he might have continued there, had not the
ranch been sold. Now Mr. Medlin's main enterprise is teaming, for which he is
ready and able to enter into contracts; and while he does all kinds of team work, he
makes a specialty of leveling and checking land for irrigation.



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 174 of 177)