Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 175 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 175 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


On August 15, 1911, Mr. Medlin was married to Miss Clara Rose, a native of
Modesto and the daughter of Herbert and Ella (Allen) Rose, early California set-
tlers who came from Iowa; an attractive lady who has proven the best of wives.
Mr. Medlin belongs to the Elks of Modesto — Lodge No. 1282 — and also to the
Crows Landing Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West.

FRANK RORGES, JR.— A native son of California, Frank Borges, Jr., has
become an influential leader among the Portuguese and a progressive, representative
resident of the Patterson Colony. He was born near Elmira, Solano County, on
March 16, 1889, the son of Frank and Mary Borges, worthy farmer folk who came
from St. George, in the Azores. His father migrated when he was only sixteen years
old, and for years he worked hard for wages in Solano County at any kind of work
that he could obtain, until gradually, by frugality and saving, he accumulated enough
to purchase ten acres near Elmira. When our subject was nine years old, Mr. Borges
removed with his family to Concord, in Contra Costa County, and there the lad
attended the Oak Grove school. Mr. Borges became a prosperous stockman, operating
extensively, and the boy spent his early days on his father's ranch.

When Frank Borges was a young man, he leased 640 acres in Contra Costa, near
Concord, and for three years followed dry-farming. In 1913, he came to Patterson
and bought forty acres on Eucalyptus Avenue, east of Sycamore, which he devoted to
alfalfa ; his father became a silent partner with him, and together they made the invest-
ment. He built a fine farm residence, a large hay and also a cow barn, some small
farm buildings, a tank-house, and a garage, executing the work himself and thereby
getting just what he wished.

At Patterson, on November 22, 1917, Mr. Borges was married to Miss Virginia
Souza, a native of Terceira, in the Azores, and the daughter of John and Mary
Souza. Her father, who is still living in Patterson, was a dairy farmer, and she
followed him to California shortly after he came here in 1915, to better his fortune.
One daughter, Virginia, has blessed this union of Mr. and Mrs. Borges. Mr.
Borges is a Republican in national politics, but a broad-minded, non-partisan worker



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1485

in favor of the best men and the best measures for the local community. He
belongs to both the U. P. E. C. and the I. D. E. S. of Patterson, and has been an
officer in the U. P. E. C. and a delegate to the Oakland convention of that fraternity.
He was also a delegate to the Santa Cruz convention, the past year, of the I. D. E. S.,
both of these honors evidencing the confidence and good-will of his friends.

JEAN GABAIG. — Jean Gabaig, the enterprising tailor at Patterson, where he
has been established in a successful business since 1911, has made many friends in
Patterson and the surrounding country, through his genial, courteous manner. Mr.
Gabaig is a native of France, born in the beautiful Basses-Pyrenees district, December
15, 1860. His parents were Pierre and Anna (Soule) Gabaig, his father being the
guardian of the forests for the French government. Here, in the shadow of the great
forests, Jean Gabaig spent his childhood and youth, attending the public schools dur-
ing the winter and in the summer working with his father among the great trees.

But the quiet life of the mountains did not satisfy the ambitious thought of this
young Frenchman, and in 1886, he determined to come to the New World, coming
directly to San Francisco, where he worked at various undertakings for many years,
learning the manners and customs of the country and mastering the English language.
In 1899 he came into Stanislaus County, locating at Newman, where he opened a
French hand laundry, which he conducted successfully for twelve years. Newman was
a very new town in 1899, and Mr. Gabaig was associated with many of its early
enterprises and undertakings, and is well and favorably known there. In 1911 Mr.
Gabaig disposed of his thriving business in Newman and came to Patterson, where he
established a paying tailoring business, together with a pressing and cleaning shop.

The marriage of Mr. Gabaig occurred in Modesto, in October, 1899, uniting
him with Miss Leonie Paau, also a native of France, born near Rodez. Both Mr. and
Mrs. Gabaig are now citizens of the United States and true Americans, taking an
interest in all that pertains to the welfare and upbuilding of the country, giving their
undivided support to policies for the development of their community and toward the
establishment of its industries.

JOSEPH V. ROSE. — Adjoining the county highway on the south and the San
Joaquin River on the east is situated the farm of one of the community's thrifty and
industrious ranchers, Joseph Rose, who was born on August 3, 1879, on the Island
of Fayal of the Azores, the son of Vincent and Francisca Rose. He came to his
adopted country when eleven years of age to join his father, who had been in Cali-
fornia two years. Three years later the father returned to Portugal to join his
wife, who had remained in that country, and after a few years they both came to
California. They eventually returned to their native country and while there Mrs.
Rose died. Mr. Rose now makes his home in San Jose.

Joseph V. Rose went to work on a ranch in Santa Clara County and continued
as a work hand for several years, making, his own way in the world and early estab-
lishing a home in San Jose. His next move was to San Mateo County, where he con-
ducted a grain, hay and stock ranch near Redwood City. From there he came into
Stanislaus County in 1913 and here he has since made his home. For a time he
operated on the Morris Ranch, four miles from Crows Landing, and at the present
time he, in partnership with two Nunes brothers, have 100 acres in alfalfa and a
herd of ninety cows and are meeting with merited success in their enterprise. Mr.
Rose also leases the Mills-Taylor Ranch of 780 acres.

In 1905 Mr. Rose made a trip back to his native land ; in February of the fol-
lowing year he was united in marriage with Miss Adaline Domingos, the daughter
of Francisco and Maria Domingos. The former was an expert blacksmith- and
owned a shop in the Island of Pico. Her mother is now a resident of Lompoc, Santa
Barbara County. Mr. and Mrs. Rose came back to Santa Clara County, where he
had already established a home, and resided there until coming to Stanislaus County.
They are the parents of three children: Joseph, Alfred and Frank, all students in the
Bonita school. Mr. Rose is a member of the I. D. E. S. of Crows Landing.



1486 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

ANTONIO ENOS. — Among the prosperous farmers of the Hughson district is
Antonio Enos, who was born in St. George, on the Azores Islands, December 27, 1864,
the son of Antonio and Gustina (Conda) Enos. Antonio was the fourth child born
of their ten children, and his boyhood was spent on his father's farm in the Azores and
there he worked until, when a lad of seventeen, he came to America. Landing in
Boston, he remained there six months, but having heard glowing accounts of the
resources of California and the wonderful opportunities for j'oung men, he decided to
journey on to the Western coast.

Arriving in California in 1882, he settled at Livermore and worked two years
for Manuel Joaquin Soares on a grain ranch. He later worked nine years on a farm
there for J. D. Smith, then with the savings he had. accumulated, he bought 160 acres
of grain land near Livermore.

Some four years later, on May 10, 1896, he married in Pleasanton, Cal., Miss
Mary Lopes-Silva, a native daughter of the Golden State, born in Virginia City, Cal.
Her father, Frank Lopes-Silva, was born on St. George Island. He went to sea when
a lad of twelve years, following it for many years, sailing into many of the important
ports of the world. On a trip around Cape Horn he arrived in San Francisco, Cal.,
in the early fifties in a sailing vessel. Leaving the sea, he engaged in mining. Later
he purchased a farm at Pleasanton, where he resided until he died in March, 1906.
He had married Rita Menzes, who preceded him two years, passing away in 1904.
Mrs. Enos is the second oldest of eight and was educated in Pleasanton.

After farming his grain ranch for seven years, Mr. Enos disposed of it and for a
short time was engaged in baling hay. In 1906 he came to Stanislaus County and
purchased eighty acres of land three miles northwest from Hughson, and three years
later purchased forty acres more in the same locality, which he improved to alfalfa and
engaged in dairying. Leasing these two ranches in 1916, he purchased his present place
of thirty-six acres, one mile north of Hughson, where he engages in dairying. He is
also interested in other ranch property in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Enos are the
parents of nine children: Mary is Mrs. Antone Costa of Hickman; Antone is a
graduate of the Modesto Business College, and is engaged in ranching near Ceres;
Joseph is attending school and lives at home; Lena is the wife of Manuel Costa, a
farmer near Salida ; Rosa, Frank, Emily and Eva are at school, and Grace at home.
In political affairs Mr. Enos gives his support to the Republican party, and is a mem-
ber of the Milk Producers' Association of Central California. Fraternally he is a
member of the U. P. E. C. and the I. D. E. S. in Modesto, being ex-secretary of the
latter, while Mrs. Enos is a member of the S. P. R. S. I. and the U. P. P. E. C. of
Hughson. Mr. and Mrs. Enos have done their share to help the community.

PIO GORTARI. — Interesting as one who has been more or less of a transient,
working here and there and never stopping for any length of time in one place, a
thrifty, wide-awake native of the Basses-Pyrenees, Pio Gortari is today the fortunate
owner of one of the finest ranches in the Patterson Colony. He is a Spaniard by
nativity, having been born on July 11, 1887, the son of Fermin and Maurice Gortari,
who sent him for six years to the district school ; and he worked on his father's farm
until he came to America in 1903.

Arriving in San Francisco, he went inland to Marysville and there accepted
work as a sheep herder for Mr. Tehista for six months at twenty dollars a month ;
and after that he put in a short time on various other ranches. While with Antone
Inda as his sheep herder, near Stockton, he broke his arm, and was laid up for a month ;
and then he spent a month in San Francisco, after which he migrated to Sweetwater,
Nev., and there helped to run another sheep ranch. Returning to Stockton, he was
employed for a year by Mr. Iparrazirre on his alfalfa ranch, shifting from there to
Reno, Nev., after which he went to Terris, Utah, and was a sheep herder for Pete
Larson for two years. He next spent a short time in Ogden, Utah, then at Salt Lake,
and later went into Idaho.

Mr. Gortari had a brother at Elko, Nev., who had come to America in 1902, and
he went there to visit him, and having renewed old associations, he moved on to
American Falls, Idaho, where he served as a sheep herder. Tiring of that, he went into



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1487

Wyoming and worked for fourteen months at Rock Springs in a coal mine ; and then
he engaged with Mr. Hualde at Los Angeles to help care for the orange grove he
owned at Brea. He stayed in Southern California for three years, and next changed
to Arizona, where he worked for four years in sawmills at Phoenix and Flagstaff.
After another period in Stockton, he came to Patterson.

Here he arrived in 1915, and he at once went to work for John Barbesta on
his dairy farm. After that he bought forty head of cows and rented forty acres on
Almond Avenue, east of Sycamore, where he ranched for three and a half years. He
then bought the sixty acres of fine alfalfa land on Magnolia and Sycamore avenues,
where he has nine acres in fruit and maintains a dairy with seventy head of cattle.

While at Flagstaff, Ariz., Mr. Gortari was married on May 13, 1910, to Miss
Frances Sarlange, also a native of Spain, who was born near Mr. Gortari's birthplace.
Three children have blessed their married life, Lillian, Gario and Nellie.

NICHOLAUS BERGMAN.— A successful rancher who has done honor to the
land of his birth and also the land of his adoption, is Nicholaus Bergman, a native
of Vermland, Sweden, where he was born on September 3, 1854, the second youngest
son of Axel and Gustava (Peterson) Bergman, both natives of the same province of
Sweden. Nicholaus was reared on his father's farm, attended the district school, and
at the age of fifteen, was confirmed in the Lutheran Church. When old enough to
do so, he took up the work of a drayman and expressman, and in time owned a
team himself, with which he worked in the city during each summer, and in the
lumber camp during the winter. He served two years in the Swedish army.

In 1881, Mr. Bergman crossed the ocean to America; and having located at
Chicago, he learned the moulder's trade. As a result, he put in twenty-seven years
in iron foundries in that city, and during all that period, he was absent from Chicago
only eight months, when he took his brother, who was ill, to the West for his health.
Returning from Minnesota to Chicago, he worked steadily at his trade until 1908.
In that year, he came out to Turlock and located on thirty-seven acres which he
rapidly improved and then sold. Later, in 1914, he purchased twenty acres in
Geer Colony No. 2, and of this area he has since sold ten acres. With the remaining
area he has been able to do quite well; for two years he was president of the United
Growers of Turlock, through that service proving himself a very representative citizen.

In 1886, at Chicago, Mr. Bergman was made a citizen of the United States, and
seven years later, in the same city, he was married to Miss Ida M. Lofquist, who
first came to America in 1887. One son, Harry E. Bergman, blessed the union.
Mr. Bergman, as a Republican, supported the movement for Prohibition, and as
chairman of the trustees of Swedish Mission Church he has done much good work.

WILLIAM MORRIS. — An energetic, successful rancher, highly esteemed for
his intelligence, integrity and force of character, and fortunate in his years of ex-
perience as foreman on important undertakings, is William Morris, by birth a native
of Wales, in which country he was born at Cardiganshire on February 20, 1865.
After completing the schools of his birthplace, he followed farming and coal mining.
In January, 1888, he sailed from Liverpool, and after reaching New York City came
on to California, arriving at Modesto on February 19. He went to work at La
Grange, where he mined for a year and then was employed on ranches north of
Modesto. This kind of occupation, however, did not satisfy him, and when the
Modesto Irrigation District contracted with the late Oramil McHenry for the build-
ing of its main ditches, Mr. Morris became foreman of the job, and in that responsible
capacity had charge of the work for practically two years, or from start to finish.

That work completed, Mr. Morris went to Nevada and became foreman for the
San Francisco Construction Company, which was building canals from the Truckee
and Carson rivers to Fallon, Nev., a task of two years. He next went to Half Moon
Bay, and became foreman for the Ransom Construction Company, which was grading
for the railroad running southward from San Francisco; and it so happened that
while stationed at Half Moon Bay, in April, 1906, he saw the city of San Francisco
consumed by fire. Continuing with that company, Mr. Morris went into the



1488 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

stricken city after the earthquake and for two years, as foreman, was busy rebuilding.
In July, 1908, he came back to Modesto with his good wife and began the work
of improving the thirty acres which he had bought in 1906. In San Francisco, in
May, 1908, he was married to Rose Jones, a native of Woodford County, 111., who
has entered heartily into those undertakings by which he has more and more identified
himself with the best interests of the locality. He has built a commodious home, a
tank house and barns, and has planted ten acres to Calimyrna figs, putting the re-
mainder into alfalfa. Mr. Morris is a live member of the Stanislaus County Farm
Bureau and leaves unturned no stone to help advance California husbandry. He is
an advocate of good American citizenship, and is a Republican by preference.

MANUEL V. BRAZIL. — Among the many hard-working Portuguese whose
industry and abstinence have brought their own rewards, Manuel V. Brazil has suc-
ceeded in acquiring a fine ranch of forty acres of alfalfa, well situated on Eucalyptus
Avenue, east of Sycamore, in Patterson. He was born on the Island of St. George,
in the Azores, on October 13, 1882, the son of Manuel and Rosa Brazil; and although
his schooling was limited, he made the best of the opportunities that came his way.
He spent his early days on his father's farm, and when seventeen came to America.

He was fortunate in coming direct to California and so more quickly to get
into touch with the many advantages here. For three years, at Point Reyes, he
worked on a dairy farm, and then for years at various occupations in Marin County.
In 1906 he rented a farm of 1,000 acres near Point Reyes, and on it he conducted
a dairy with thirty head of cattle. This farm he continued to operate until the
spring of 1915, when he bought forty acres at Patterson, situated on Eucalyptus
Avenue, east of Sycamore, devoted to alfalfa, and there with thirty cows he maintains
a first-class dairy.

At San Francisco, in March, 1903, Mr. Brazil was married to Miss Mary
Doras, a native of the Azores, where she was born on the Island of St. George, the
daughter of Joe F. and Rita Doras. Her father died in St. George in 1918, but hei
mother is still living at the old home. Four children have been granted Mr. and
Mrs. Brazil; and they are Mamie, Nellie, Zomers and Manuel. Mr. Brazil is
popular in the U. P. E. S. and the I. D. E. S. of San Rafael.

JOE MENDES. — Many evidences of tireless effort and prosperity are to be
found upon the fine ranch of Joe Mendes and S. C. Dalby, one mile west of Newman.
Joe Mendes is the eldest of a family of nine children, all of whom, with their parents,
who recently returned from Portugal, reside and work on the above mentioned ranch.

Mr. Mendes was born near Carranca, Brazil, on July 13, 1892, the son of
John M. and Verisma K. Mendes, the father having been interested in stock raising
in Brazil. They are the parents of the following children: Joe, the subject of our
sketch ; Frank, Tony, Louis, Manuel, Joaquin, Amelia, Mary and Julia. When Joe
Mendes was eleven the family removed to Portugal, where he received his early edu-
cation. At fourteen he came with his father to America, but after a three years' stay
in the States the latter returned to Portugal, while Joe Mendes remained in California
and made his own way by doing ranch work. His first employment was on the
Hutchinson ranch and then on the Sherman ranch for the next eight years.

In 1919 Mr. Mendes formed a partnership with S. C. Dalby and together
they cultivate 160 acres, have thirty cattle and raise many hogs for the market. In
addition to being interested in the above ranch, Mr. Mendes is the owner of a large
herd of cattle which are fed on the range, later taken on the ranch and fattened for beef.

MANUEL J. BRUM.— Born under the flag of Portugal, in Pico, of the far-off
Azores, on October 25, 1880, Manuel Brum, now a prosperous farmer near Patter-
son, heard many glowing tales of California from his father, who made four trips to
the Golden West, returning each time to Portugal. This father, also Manuel Brum,
was a farmer in the Azores Islands, and made his first trip to California in 1861, when
he engaged in farming in Alameda County. He returned to Portugal after each of
his trips to the Pacific Coast, and on one of these trips he married Mariana Home, and
for a number of years farmed in his home district, where the son was born. When



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1489

our subject was three years of age his father came again to California, leaving his fam-
ily behind in Pico, and was gone for a number of years, so that the earliest recollec
tions of the son include tales of the far-away land.

After an uneventful boyhood spent on his father's farm, and in attendance at
the village school, young Manuel Brum, like his father before him, answered to the
call for wider fields of endeavor and opportunity and also came to America, when he
was seventeen years of age, and has remained in the new land, becoming one of our
loyal and patriotic citizens. He located first at Mariposa, Mass., where for three
years he worked in the sawmills, and in the fall of 1900 came on to California and
settled in Humboldt County, near Arcadia, where he secured employment on a
dairy farm, in which work he was very proficient. Later he went into the mining
districts in Shasta County and for a year was employed at the Cap Rock Mine, follow-
ing which he went to Tonopah, Nev., and was for five years employed in various
enternrises in the mines there.

In 1910, Mr. Brum turned again to farming, entering into partnership with
F. Semas, in the dairy business, near San Lorenzo, Alameda County. Here he stayed
for a year of successful endeavor, and in 1911 he came to Patterson and purchased
thirty acres and later twenty-two acres devoted to the raising of alfalfa. This prop-
erty is located on Fig Street, just off Locust Avenue, in one of the very desirable
parts of the district. He has built a comfortable cottage, together with dairy barns
and other outbuildings, and is improving his place in many ways. Mr. Brum's success
is the direct result of his hard work and honest industry, and is much deserved.

WILLIAM W. HIGGINS.— An active factor of wide influence in the milk-
producing industry in California is William W. Higgins, the popular tenor who
enjoys the fame of one of rare natural musical gifts and exceptional training. Side
by side with his discharge of heavy responsibility as master mechanic of the Milk
Producers Association of Central California at Modesto, he directs many of the musical
enterprises for which Modesto, as a home and educational center, has become noted.
He was born at Bangor, Maine, on January 20, 1866, the son of Edwin G. Higgins,
a native of Maine and a farmer, who had marriedMiss Abigail Frances Mower, also
a native of Maine. She was a lyric soprano, and was a noted singer throughout Eng-
land, and was doubly interesting as a descendant of the famous Misreal family of
Spain. These worthy folks had three boys, the eldest being Clarence E. Higgins, now
farming on the old New England homestead ; our subject was the second in the order
of birth, and F. J. Higgins, his younger brother, is his assistant.

William grew up on the home farm near Bangor, and at sixteen years of age,
when he had finished his grammar school courses, he was apprenticed at the Muzzy
Iron Works in Bangor, as a machinist, for a period of four years. At the completion
of his apprenticeship, he came out to Helena, Mont., in 1886, and he was a machinist
in a manufacturing plant where mining machinery was made. In 1894 he came to
Chicago and entered the service of the National Biscuit Company, and he helped to
produce the first Uneeda Biscuits. In 1907, he resigned and entered the employ of
the R. T. Crane Pipe Company, and was their operating engineer. Their engines
and boilers represented over 4,000 horsepower, and the position was one of such
responsibility that it is not surprising that his health was there broken. Upon the
advice of physicians, he came to California, and after looking the ground over thor-
oughly, he bought a ranch in the Prescott district, forty acres of stubble field, which
he improved to alfalfa, so that he could engage in dairying ; and with the outdoor life
his health returned. In 1912 he rented the ranch, and accepted the position of master
mechanic for the Modesto Creamery. It was then a very small concern, but it has
grown to be the largest in the state. Since then all the new machinery and boilers
have been installed, and they now have a large and admirable power plant. In
Modesto, he has made many improvements in the way of labor-saving machinery,
having previously had experience and success in that direction. In Chicago, for exam-
ple, he invented and patented an automatic oven stop, which he installed on a royalty
for two years; and he also invented a packing table and a traveling spout, both of



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 175 of 177)