Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 177 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 177 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


until he enlisted for service in the World's War in the Three Hundred Sixty-first
Regiment, U. S. Infantry, Ninety-first Division, serving overseas. He went over the
top six times, serving in the St. Mihiel sector, the Argonne and the Meuse ; was
wounded six times and lay for three days and three nights in a shell hole, with his com-
rades dead about him. There he was found by U. S. troops and was carried out by
German prisoners and sent to the hospital, where he remained four months. He still
carries two bullets in his legs. In May, 1919, he was honorably discharged in San
Francisco. He received the silver medal and over-the-top button. In 1913, in Italy,
Antonio Rollo married Miss Seraphina Scalori. J. M. Rollo, in Baton Rouge, mar-
ried Miss Lena Crarollo, who was a native of Louisiana. He is a member of the Elks
and both are Catholics.

A. SJ6STRUM. — A business man who is meeting with success in the painting
and contracting line in Turlock is A. Sjostrum, who was born in Kalmarlan, Sweden.
December 2, 1874, where he received a good public school education. After his school
days he worked for the local match factory and in other mills until he came to the
United States. Arriving in Minnesota in 1893, he located in Nicollet County and
followed farm work until he studied the painting and decorator's trade. When
proficient he engaged as a contracting painter and soon afterwards he located in
Chicago. His splendid work and the care with which he completed his contracts won
him a large patronage and his business career there stretched over a period of twenty
vears. Then he located in Turlock.

On January 1, 1913, occurred the marriage of Mr. Sjostrum and Miss Agnes
Johnson, who was a native of Chicago, where her parents were early settlers, and
-there, too, she received her education in the public schools. They have been blessed
with four children: Leone, Ruth, Eva and Arlene. Mr. and Mrs. Sjostrum are
■both members of the Swedish Lutheran Church and are Democrats in national politics.



1496 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

WILLIAM SACHAU. — Of European stock, William Sachau was born near
Taudern, Schleswig, November 28, 1865. His father, Frederick Sachau, was a
butcher and cattleman and was a man of prominence and influence in Taudern, where
he and his wife, Wilhelmina Sund, spent their lives. William is the second of their
eleven children, receiving a good education in the public schools. As a lad he learned
the butcher's and stock business. When seventeen he came to America, arriving in
Fond du Lac, Wis., in the spring of 1882. In 1883 he came to Oakland, Cal., and
was employed at the butcher's trade there and in San Francisco, meanwhile attending
night school.

In 1888 he began business for himself, establishing a meat market on Twenty-
third Street and Fourteenth Avenue, Oakland, and was the first butcher in Oakland
to kill his own beef. Later on he was in business on Pacific Avenue, near Park Street,
Alameda. Then he was stock buyer for the Oakland Meat Company for six years.
In 1914 he again opened a meat market on Twenty-third Street and Fourteenth
Avenue, Oakland, where he built up a large business, which he later sold to advantage,
although the business is still known as Sachau's market. In 1912 he located in
Riverbank, where he bought forty acres devoted to alfalfa and bought and sold cattle
and hogs as well as shipping. He also owned ranches in Kern and Madera counties.
Selling in December, 1919, he located in Turlock, having previously become interested
with Mr. Rowe, whom he had known in Alameda. He now makes his home on his
three and one-half acre ranch on East Avenue. The firm is Rowe & Sachau, pro-
prietors of the California Market. Mr. Sachau has charge of buying the stock and
outside business, while Mr. Rowe has charge of the retailing, the market being cen-
trally located on West Main Street.

In Oakland, February 9, 1890, Mr. Sachau married Miss Lauretta Johansen, also
born near Taudern, Schleswig. She is a daughter of Lauritz and Fredericka (Mat-
tiesen) Johnson, merchants in that country. Coming to Chicago in 1882, Mrs.
Sachau spent a year there and in 1883 came on to Oakland, where she met and mar-
ried Mr. Sachau. Fraternally, Mr. Sachau is a member of Fruitvale Lodge No. 49,
Odd Fellows, and of the Board of Trade.

JOHN COLEMAN RUSSELL.— A veteran of the Civil War, John Coleman
Russell was born in New Castle, Butler County, Pa., in 1838. His father, Wm.
Russell, was born in England, and immigrated to Pennsylvania and later to Oregon,
Ogle County, 111., and still later to Bureau County, 111. He followed contracting
and building and spent his last days in Cass County, Iowa. Mr. Russell's mother
was Sarah Coleman, who was born in Beaver County, Pa., and her father, Wm. Cole-
man served in the War of 1812.

John C. Russell grew up in Illinois, until fifteen, when his parents located in
Iowa, receiving a fair education in the primitive schools of that day. He was a fine
shot and did much hunting, a sport in which he was very successful. He was married
in Webster City, Iowa, December 3, 1857, to Mona A. Prime, born in Johnson
County, Ind., a daughter of John and Rebecca (Hulto) Prime, born in Massachusettes
and South Carolina, respectively. The Prime family is traced back to Plymouth Rock
Colony of 1620, while grandfather William Hulto served in the War of 1812.

John Prime was a tanner in Indiana, then removed to Nevada, Story County, la.,
where he farmed until his death at eighty-four years. Mrs. Prime studied medicine
and practiced very successfully until her death, at the age of fifty-two.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Russell began farming in Iowa. On August
13, 1862, Mr. Russell enlisted in Company K, Thirty-second Iowa Volunteer Infantry,
and was in fourteen battles, among them Nashville, Franklin, Pleasant Hill and Ft.
Blakely. In the latter engagement he was reported missing, but came in with three
prisoners. He was mustered out in August, 1865. During these years Mrs. Russell
had been running the Iowa farm. Soon after the war they moved to Arapahoe, Fur-
nas County, Nebr., where they homesteaded and in time came to own 400 acres of
land. When they sold this, they built a hotel at McCook and continued as proprietors
until they came to California in 1893. Purchasing a farm at Anaheim, eight years
later they removed to Lemoore, and in 1906, came to Turlock, where they have since



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 1497

resided. Mr. Russell has built six different residences in Turlock, but sold all but
two of them. They have celebrated their sixtieth wedding anniversary, an event
enjoyed by about 200 of their friends.

Of their eight children, six grew to maturity: Wm. Oscar resides in McCook,
Nebr. ; Eva A. is Mrs. Fewell of Turlock; Rebecca, Mrs. Calvin, died here; J. P. lives
at Birminghan, Ala.; Matie I. is Mrs. Moss of Turlock; G. A. also resides in
Turlock. They adopted a boy, Chester Guy Russell, when three years old, now an
electrician at San Dimas, Cal. They are Seventh Day Adventists, and politically are
Republicans. Mr. Russell is a member of the G. A. R., while Mrs. Russell is a mem-
ber of the Woman's Relief Corps.

ANDREW BRODINE.— Among the substantial men of Turlock was the late
Andrew Brodine, who was born in Vestmanland, Sweden, January 15, 1855, where he
was reared on a farm. When twenty-one years of age he came to the United States,
and soon after his arrival he located in Buffalo County, Nebr. He was married in
Kearney, that state, June 9, 1887, to Margaret Valine, a native of Vestmanland,
Sweden, a daughter of Lewis and Anna (Olson) Valine, farmer folks, who brought
their family to Kearney, Nebr., where the mother died, while the father spent his
last days with Mrs. Brodine, passing away at the age of eighty-six years.

Of their five children Margaret was the third oldest and received a good educa-
tion in the excellent public schools of her native land. Coming to Nebraska, she
renewed the acquaintance of Andrew Brodine, which resulted in their marriage the
next year. They located on a homestead of 160 acres in Elm Creek Township, which
they improved and as they prospered they bought more land, until they had 480 acres
in one farm, and also owned an 800 acre farm at Chappell, Nebr., which they rented
to others. On the home farm they were engaged in raising corn, hogs and cattle in
which they were very successful.

In 1908, on account of Mr. Brodine's broken health, they sold their holdings
and located in Turlock, Cal., purchasing city property and a ranch of twelve acres
southwest of town, and here Mr. Brodine resided, enjoying the California climate until
his death, May 17, 191 1. He had always been an active and prominent member of the
Swedish Mission Church, having served as trustee of the church at his former home.

Mr. and Mrs. Brodine had four children, two of whom grew up, Bada, who
assists her mother to preside over the home, and Abel. After her husband died, Mrs.
Brodine resided on her farm until 1913. She sold the place and made her home in
Turlock for a few years, until she purchased a ten acre ranch one mile southwest of
Turlock, which she devotes to general farming. Mrs. Brodine, like her late husband,
is very enterprising and progressive and is well and favorably known. She is a devout
member of the Swedish Mission Church, and contributes liberally to its benevolences.

PHILIP LATZ. — The ranks of the first generation of native Californians are
dwindling rapidly, but many who were born in the Fifties are still in our midst, and
among these Philip Latz, Modesto's pioneer dry goods merchant, is numbered. Mr.
Latz was born in San Francisco January 9, 1856, and is the son of Simon Latz, a
native of Germany, who came to America in 1837 and settled in New York. In
1845 Simon Latz removed to St. Louis, Missouri, and became a trader in furs in that
city. He next went to New Orleans where he engaged in the tailoring business, and
in 1851 sailed for California via the Isthmus, landing in San Francisco in that year,
where he became a clothing merchant. While in New Orleans he married Miss
Bena Rodman, and here the two eldest children, Samuel and Benjamin, were born.
In April, 1851, Simon Latz and family, with Mrs. Latz's sister-in-law and her brother,
Hyman Latz, started for California via the Isthmus of Panama. Mrs. Simon Latz
passed away in 1856, when Philip, the youngest child, was a babe six months old.
Samuel, the oldest son, died in 1918. For forty-five years he was general salesman
and manager for Rothblum and Company at San Francisco. Benjamin resides in
Portland, Ore., is a capitalist and is interested with the Seeleg-Dresser Company,
grocers of that city. Philip, the youngest son, was brought up by his aunt, his moth-
er's sister, who afterward became his stepmother.



1498 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Philip attended the public schools of San Francisco and began clerking in the
retail clothing store of Coleman Brothers on Montgomery and Washington streets in
that city. Later he was with the wholesale clothing house of Ash Brothers, and still
later with Banner, the wholesale clothing merchant. He was afterwards with the A.
B. Elfeldt Wholesale Clothing Company, and remained with this firm ten years, then
went on the road as a traveling salesman for a wholesale hat house. Following this
he went into the retail shoe business for himself on Kearney street, San Francisco, then
sold his interest and came to Modesto November 13, 1884, where he went into part-
nership with Alex Meyer in the dry goods business, starting a new store in the Tynan
Hotel block on H street.

Mr. Latz was married in San Francisco March 25, 1885, to Miss Estelle Mayer,
a native of that city, and they became the parents of three children. The oldest son,
Sylvain S., married Miss Caroline Marks of San Francisco, and they have one child,
Cecil M. Leonard is married and resides in Modesto, and Rodney died at the age
of four years.

In 1898 Mr. Gorrell, now deceased, built the building that the Latz dry goods
store occupies in Modesto, for Meyer and Latz. In 1899 the partnership was dis-
solved and in 1902 Mr. Latz purchased the building from Mr. Gorrell and rebuilt it
from a one-story to a two-story store building, designed for a first class city dry goods
store. It is a two story and basement brick, fifty by 140 feet in dimension. Latz's
does the largest business in Modesto and carries the largest stock of exclusive dry goods
in that city. In 1891 Mr. Latz built a commodious two-story residence at 903 Fif-
teenth street, where he resided until removing to San Francisco upon his retirement
from business. While his business has prospered phenomenally under his wise admin-
istration there were times in the past when the business outlook was discouraging,
prices were low and wheat went down fifty-five per cent, but his courage did not fail.
Economy and industry stemmed the tide and he came out victorious. Mr. Latz is a
stockholder in the First National and in the Union Savings banks of Modesto. In
his diversions he is fond of fishing and the movies, and is a decided baseball enthusiast.
Since Mr. and Mrs. Latz removed to their native city, San Francisco, the manage-
ment of the Modesto store is in the hands of Mr. Latz's sons, Sylvain S. and Leonard.
The business, however, will continue under the proprietorship of the father, whose
enthusiastic interest in Modesto is unabated. Mrs. Latz has ever been a loyal help-
mate, is a devoted wife, a loving mother, a kind neighbor, and has thousands of warm
friends in Modesto who regret her departure.




9 9 9 9 : 3 $






Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 177 of 177)