Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 23 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 23 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


searchers of records. He left Modesto February 5, 1890, with his family to attend a
religious convention in San Francisco, taking with him about $800 to complete a busi-
ness transaction. They arrived safely in the metropolis and two days later he told
his wife that he was going to Sacramento on business. From that day to this he has
not been seen by his family or friends, although he was once reported as having been
seen in Portland, Oregon.



CHAPTER TWELVE

SOCIETIES AND MISCELLANEOUS EVENTS

MASONIC LODGES

La Grange Lodge No. 99 was the oldest Masonic Lodge in Stanislaus County
until its removal in 1873 to Merced. A dispensation was granted in January, 1856,
by Grand Master William H. Howard to form a lodge. A charter was issued to the
lodge dated May 8, 1856. The first officers were Abigil Elkins, worthy master; John
Myers, senior warden; John B. Hocket, junior warden; C. M. Wells, senior deacon;
J. Simons, junior deacon; W. F. Stafford, secretary; Thomas Paine, treasurer, and
Uriah Nelson, tyler.

Summit Lodge No. 112 was instituted at Knights Ferry. The grand master
granted a dispensation January 13, 1857, to form a lodge. Its first regular communi-
cation was held February 7, at which were present M. C. Edwards, worthy master;
Stephen Bishop, senior warden, and Andrew J. Lane, junior warden. The following
officers were appointed by the worthy master: Andrew McSorley, senior deacon; Isaac
Snodgrass, junior deacon; Thomas W. Lane, secretary, and Henry Palmer, treasurer.
Petitions for the degrees in Masonry were read by George W. Dent and W. E.
Steuart and for affiliation from James A. Whetstone, Joseph Honigsberger and J. H.
Skirm. All of the necessary, steps for the establishment of a lodge were taken and a
note for $500 was given towards the erection of a hall. A charter was granted May
14, 1857, and June 13, a lodge was duly opened under the authority of J. K. Shafer,
acting deputy grand master. The following officers were elected and installed : M. C.
Edwards, worthy master; Stephen Bishop, senior warden; Andrew J. Lane, junior
warden; Henry Palmer, treasurer; William E. Steuart, secretary. J. A. Whet-
stone, senior warden; William Palmer, junior warden; Jefferson D. Bentley and
John Tason, stewards, and Andrew McSorley, tyler. The additional charter mem-
bers were George W. Dent, Henry Harmon, Joseph Honigsberger, J. H. Skirm, W. H.
Read, J. H. Snodgrass and Joseph Dillon.

The Masons of Knights Fern' occasionally celebrated St. John's day and annually
they gave a ball — the social affair of that vicinity. Their ball of January 13, 1877,
will long be remembered by many now living, who were among those present. Thomas
Lane, E. Dettlebach, Josie and L. C. Branch were present from Modesto, A. S.
Emory and wife from Oakdale, and from the pretty little town itself came Judge and
Minnie Valpey, Anna and Kate Williams, Ada and Minnie Parker, Gussie Rawlings,
Mattie Stone, Anna Roberts, Minnie Gobin, Nellie Burns, Belle Crabtree, Myra
Arnold, James Warner, George Arnold, Louis Voyle, David Parker, Daniel Crowell,
Samuel McAllister, Orrin Pool, John G. Booth, J. S. Williams, Charles Rawlings,
James Stinson, John and J. A. Waston, William Ferguson, Daniel Logan, James
Eusler, Alfred Dingley and James McCluery.

Stanislaus Lodge No. 206 was granted a dispensation to form a lodge, May 10,
1870, by Leonidas Pratt, grand master. Their charter dates from October 14, 1870,
with the following charter members: S. A. Cleveland and George Buck, past grand
masters, George French, Henry G. James, George W. Toombs, John W. Laird, Ruffin
C. May and Robert M. Phillips. The charter members assembled in Tuolumne City in
the home of Robert M. Phillips and elected the following officers: S. A. Cleveland,
worthy master, died 1888; George Buck, senior warden, died 1891; H. G. James,
junior warden; Robert M. Phillips, secretary; John W. Laird, treasurer; George W.
Toombs, senior deacon ; Rufus C. May, junior deacon ; Charles W. Allrich, tyler.
The fellow crafts men were John H. Hayes and Frank Mathenep and the apprentices,
John H. Finn, William Grollman, Benjamin H. Haislip and Samuel B. Shaw.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 153

The present officers of the lodge are George R. Stoddard, worthy master; George
L. James, senior warden; Clarence W. Sikes, junior warden; Francis E. Heple, sec-
retary; James Alfred Davis, treasurer, and Carl W. Showman, Herbert M. Hatch
and W. D. Whitmore, trustees. Among the past grand masters we note S. A. Cleve-
land, 1870-1-2, died 1888; William Grollman, 1873-4-5-81-2, died in 1884; Jesse
J. Chapman, 1876; Elihu B. Beard, 1877; Charles L. A. Hewel, 1878; John D.
Spencer, 1879, died 1896; T. W. Drullard, 1880; W. H. Hutton, 1 885-6-7 ; Walter
B. Wood, 1888-9-90; L. H. Fulkerth, 1891-2; Tohn H. Ward, 1893; George R.
Stoddard, 1895.

Removing from Tuolumne City March 20, 1871, their meetings were held for
a season in the James building, a wooden structure at the corner of H and Eleventh
streets. In the meantime William Grollman was erecting a fine two-story building
on Tenth Street. The second story was fitted up especially for the Masons and March
11, 1876, they held their first meeting in their new lodge rooms. They remained in
this hall many years, until 1908, for the "hard time" failure of crops and the depres-
sion of business affects secret associations alike with individuals. About that time,
however, a Masonic Hall association was formed with C. D. Swan as president and
Thomas H. Kewin as secretary, and purchasing ground on I Street, 60x80 feet, adjoin-
ing on the east the Modesto Bank, thev erected a splendid three-storv building at a
cost of $60,000.

Laying the Cornerstone of Masonic Building

From that time on the lodge grew and prospered rapidly and in less than six
years began the discussion of a Masonic building erected especially for Masonic pur-
poses. Another Masonic association was formed, and purchasing a lot corner of J and
Fifteenth streets, a two-story concrete building was erected, 50x97 feet, at a cost of
$30,000. The first story contained an auditorium, reception room, ladies' parlor,
billiard room and kitchen. The second story was devoted exclusively to lodge room
work. For the second time in the history of the county the Masons performed the
beautiful ceremony of laying a cornerstone. At three o'clock, August 11, 1917, the
lodge met in secret session in the old hall. An hour later a procession was formed
composed of Stanislaus Lodge, the officers of the grand lodge and Electa Chapter,
Order of Eastern Star, and preceded by the band they marched to the new site. The
cornerstone was then laid with appropriate ceremony by Grand Master Francis V.
Kresley, assisted by the following grand officers pro tern: W. H. Hatton, deputy
grand master; Samuel Latta, grand senior warden; George T. McCabe, grand junior
warden; George Stoddard, grand treasurer; Alfred Davis, grand senior warden; W.
H. Kirk, grand junior warden; L. D. Fulkerth, grand senior steward, and W. O.
Whitmore, grand junior steward. During the exercises appropriate selections were
played by the Modesto Band and vocal selections given by the choir of Electa Chap-
ter. In the cornerstone the following articles were deposited: the names of the officers
and members of Stanislaus Lodge No. 206, Modesto Chapter No. 49, and Electa
Chapter No. 72, O. E. S. There were copies of the Evening News and Morning
Herald, a copy of the city charter, and the names of the directors of the Masonic
Hall Building Association, namely, Alfred Davis, W. H. Kirk, V. D. Whitmore,
Charles Kinter and Thomas M. Mantz.

Modesto Chapter No. 49, Royal Arch Masons, was granted a dispensation March
20, 1875, and was chartered March 24, 1875. Edwin A. Sherman, in his "Fifty
Years of Masonry" said it was chartered April 12, 1876. Those signing the petition
tor a dispensation were W. J. Houston, S. A. Cleveland, Isaac Ripperdan, Thomas A.
Wilson, Alexander Burkett, J. D. Teckler and S. V. Wardrobe. William John Hous-
ton was the first high priest, S. A. Cleveland, first king, and H. G. James the first
scribe. Thomas Kennan Beard was high priest in 1895 and up to that time the lodge
had had eleven high priests. In that year, also, Adolphus Hewel was grand high
priest of California, having been the high priest of Modesto Chapter from 1879-84.



154 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Electa Chapter No. 72, O. E. S. of Modesto, was organized June 29, 1883, by
Worthy Patron Minard S. Thresher of Home Chapter No. 50 of Stockton. The
following were the charter members: Erastus Eagleson, Mary Ann Cameron, George
W. Cameron, William Henry Hatton, James Henry Maddrill, Mary Martha Trainor,
Etta N., Susie and Mattie Trainor, Alice Price Stone, Jennie F. Stone, T. W. Drul-
lard, Alice May and Lucinda Rodgers, Josie and Mollie Gridley and Amanda Eagle-
son. The first officers of the Chapter were Mary Ann Cameron, matron; Brother
Cameron, patron, and Mrs. Josie Gridley Wood, conductress. Mary N. Cameron,
although living in Tucson, Ariz., still retains her membership in the Chapter. Susie
Trainor Miller and sister and Amanda Eagleson are living in San Francisco. Mrs.
Josie Wood is living in Modesto. W. H. Hatton, still residing in Modesto, was
patron for several years. George Russell Stoddard served as patron for fourteen
years continuously, and Mrs. Wakefield served as secretary for twenty-one successive
years. Alice Stone Dozier, a past associate grand matron of the California Chap-
ter, is now secretary of the local chapter. Mrs. Dozier, one of the most active mem-
bers of the Chapter, served two terms as matron and has filled every office in the
Chapter to which women were eligible, except conductress. The Chapter now, writes
Mrs. Dozier, has 150 members and there have been during its existence 351 initiates.

INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS
La Fayette Lodge No. 65, the first Odd Fellows Lodge in the county, was insti-
tuted at La Grange June 14, 1857, by T. Rodger Johnson, the grand secretary. The
charter members were Arthur Shearer, Lewis M. Booth, Luther Childs, Samuel Du
Bois and William Floto. They had twenty-four members at their first grand lodge
report. Eleven years after the instituting of LaFayette Lodge, two Odd Fellows,
Henry K. Covert and J. A. Brown, then living in Tuolumne City, concluded to
organize a lodge. Inquiring around, they found several Odd Fellows and a meeting
was held at the steamboat landing. A short time afterward a second meeting was held
in the carpenter shop owned by Alexander Glenn, eleven Odd Fellows being present.
At this meeting all the arrangements were effected and November 10, 1868, Wilder
Lodge was instituted, the Lodge adopting the name of Wildey, the founder of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. They assembled in the second story of a brick
building owned by Miner Walden, the first story being occupied by a livery stable.
The Lodge was instituted by George Buck, denuty grand master, with the following
as charter members: J. P. Martin and H. K. Covert, past grands of Yosemite Lodge
No. 97 ; Miner Walden, past grand LaFayette Lodffe No. 65 : Henry Wilson with
a transfer card from Progressive Lodge No. 134; William Ollrich of Mountain Brow
Lodge No. 82, and J. A. Brown from Oregon Lodge No. 3. The following officers
were elected and installed : Miner Walden, noble grand : H. K. Covert, vice-grand ;
J. A. Brown, secretary; William Ollrich, treasurer; John P. Martin, warden, Henry
Wilson, inside guardian. Soon after Modesto was founded the lodge was removed
to the railroad town. Their first meeting in Modesto was held March 18, 1871, in
the H. G. James building on the southwest corner of H and Eleventh streets. The
Masons, as we have noticed, assembled for their meeting in the same hall. The mem-
bers were among the most progressive citizens of the town and in 1872 they erected
their neat building on the southwest corner of H and Tenth streets. For a short
period while the Grollman building was being erected, the Masons there held Masonic
meetings. The hall is still in use. The present officers of the Lodge are L. E.
Elliott, past grand ; W. C. Fisk, noble grand ; R. C. Been, vice prand ; H. M. Briggs.
secretary, and George P. Schafer, treasurer. H. M. Briggs has been secretary of
the Lodge for twenty-six years and J. R. Brouehton was treasurer for the same period.
The Degree of Rebekah
The Rebekahs are now a separate branch of the order, but until 1895 the degree
was given in the subordinate lodge. The degree was first conferred in Wildey lodge
January 23, 1870. Charity Rebekah Degree Lodge No. 28, the first Rebekah degree
lodge in the county, was instituted at Modesto July 1, 1875, by R. A. Hathaway,



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 155

deputy grand master. He was assisted in his work by James Berry, George Perley
and James C. James, past grands. The lodge in 1884 surrendered their charter.

Golden Gate Rebekah Lodge No. 110 was instituted January 17, 1887, by P. H.
Medley, deputy grand master. There were thirty-one charter members, the deputy
grand master being assisted by George Perley, James Berry, W. W. Granger, W. A.
Donkin and P. P. Stiles, past grands. The present officers are Sylvia Johnson, past
noble grand; Ella Halford, noble grand; Hattie Young, vice-grand; Jennie Wallace,
recording secretary ; Rebecca Tucker, financial secretary, and Alice Wallace, treasurer.

GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC

Grand Post No. 9, G. A. R., was instituted in 1879 by T. W. Drullard, post
commander, and I. S. Loventhal, adjutant. The post, as first numbering several hun-
dred veterans of the Civil war, has now been reduced to less than forty in number.
Each year they celebrated Memorial Day, May 30, and for several years past William
H. Thompson, now adjutant of the post, has been directing the memorial exercises.

ANCIENT ORDER OF UNITED WORKMEN
Ancient Order of United Workmen, Empire Lodge No. 112, Modesto, was in-
stituted June 23, 1879, by Eugene Lehe of Stockton, deputy grand master. The lodge
was organized with a membership of sixteen charter members. Seven candidates were
initiated on the night of the lodge's organization, a team from Stockton assisting the
district deputy in the work.

KNIGHTS OF HONOR

Knights of Honor, Modesto Cedar Lodge No. 1992, was instituted January 23,
1880. It was instituted with twenty charter members by William J. Gregg, deputy
supreme dictator.

NATIVE SONS OF THE GOLDEN WEST

Modesto Parlor No. 11 was instituted October 26, 1881, by the following grand
officers, pro tern: William H. Langdon, past president; Hugh H. McNoble, president;
W. E. O'Connor, first vice-president; Frank H. Lee of Oakdale, second vice-president;
William H. Hosmer, third vice-president ; A. J. Turner, secretary; Fred Jung of San
Francisco, treasurer; Louis Harris of San Francisco, inside sentinel; J. L. Jackson,
outside sentinel; W. L. MacLaughlin, marshal. The initiatory work was conducted
bv Orestimba Parlor No. 142 of Crows Landing, assisted by W. E. O'Connor and
W. H. MacLaughlin of Stockton. Hugh McNoble, W. H. Hosmer, A. J. Turner
and J. L. Jackson were from Stockton.

The Grand Parlor met at Modesto April 19, 1916. The grand officers were
met at the depot by the Modesto Parlor and escorted to the Hotel Hughson, where
they were given a hearty welcome to the city by Mayor D. W. Morris. That after-
noon they were taken on an automobile ride through the irrigation district. At Oak-
dale they were given the keys of Oakdale by John B. Curtis and tendered a barbecue
in the Oakdale Park. That evening in Modesto the streets were cleared and there
was dancing until midnight. During the visit of the Grand Parlor a tree was planted
in Graceada Park with appropriate ceremony, in remembrance of their visit. The
sandstone tablet at the foot of the tree savs: "Dedicated to the Grand Parlor, N. S.
G. W., April 19, 1917."

NATIVE DAUGHTERS OF THE GOLDEN WEST
Morada Parlor No. 199, Modesto — Morada being the Spanish name for home —
was organized December 18, 1912. For several months previous the native sons of
Modesto had been desirous of having a Native Daughter parlor and they appointed a
committee of three, Edward Hunsucker, Joseph Cross and Hugh Benson, to provide a
list of names from which charter members might be selected. Mrs. Clara Marchal,
district deputy of San Joaquin, was enlisted in the work and for several weeks she



156 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

labored perfecting the parlor. The parlor was instituted by Mrs. Olive Bedford
Matlock of Red Bluff, grand president, assisted by Alice Dougherty, grand secretary,
and Mrs. Mamie Peyton of Stockton, past grand president. The parlor was started
with twenty-one charter members. There were forty-five names on the roll, but many
of them were away on holiday vacation while others were absent because of business.

The lodge was instituted with the following named officers: Katherine Hun-
sucker, past president ; Nellie Dunlap, president ; Florence Davison, first vice-president ;
Mabel Cleveland, second vice-president; Cora Campbell, third vice-president; Alma
Wakefield, recording secretary; Louise Chase, financial secretary; Evelyn Dunlap,
treasurer; Kate Gillette, marshal; Florence Dugain, inside guardian; Bessie Trudgeon,
outside guardian ; Rose Briggs, organist, and Sireta Muney, Hattie Hughson and Edith
Bower, trustees.

About twenty-five members of the Stockton Parlor No. 6, N. D. G. W., visited
the new parlor and the Stockton team initiated their candidates for membership. The
parlor made the trip over the Tidewater Southern and the coach drawn by a loco-
motive was one of the original coaches used on the Central Pacific on the route between
Sacramento and Ogden. It was the first excursion trip over the Tidewater road. The
Stockton team comprised Mary Murray, past president ; Mrs. Lucie Lieginger, presi-
dent ; Mrs. L. Petersen, first vice-president; Mrs. Clara Wenger, second vice-presi-
dent; Mrs. Mae Parker, third vice-president; Mabel McDonald, marshal; Mrs. H.
Avery, inside sentinel; Miss M. Avery, outside sentinel. The splendid work of lodge
organization concluded with a banquet at which the Native Sons were guests.

BENEVOLENT AND PROTECTIVE ORDER OF ELKS
As the Elks would not permit of the organization of any lodge in a citv of less
than 5,000 inhabitants, on March 19, 1901, about twenty citizens of Modesto joined
the Stockton lodge. It was a great occasion in which Senator C. M. Belshaw of Sac-
ramento lodge presided and Major J. F. Whitmore of Modesto was one of the
speakers. However, in 1912, Modesto had increased wonderfully in population, and
the Modestoans concluded to organize a home lodge. Assembling in the Masonic hall
July 15, 1912, they elected the following officers to serve in the new lodge: C. D.
Swan, exalted ruler; Geo. H. Bertram, esteemed leading knight; Dr. C. Grove,
esteemed loyal knight; J. A. Trowbridge, esteemed lecturing knight; J. A. Dunn,
secretary; John C. Lesher, treasurer; Myron Warner, tyler, and W. A. Downer,
J. J. McMahon and Z. E. Drake, trustees.

A dispensation to organize an Elks Lodge in Modesto was granted to the follow-
ing members of Stockton lodge: C. D. Swan, Geo. H. Bertram, L. A. Fulkerth, Z. E.
Drake, Lon L Coffee, D. W. Morris, J. A. Dunn, J. A. Trowbridge, A. R. Sweet,
T. A. Edwards, Mvron Warner, W. R. High, C. L. Jones, C. J. Lesher, J. A. Lewis,
Geo. P. Schafer, C. R. Gailfus, W. C. Grove, D. C. Wood, Wm. Bury, P. H.
Griffin, T. W. Davidson, Geo. A. Cressey, J. M. Pike, L. J. Maddux. J. T. Irvin,
J. J. McMahon, C. M. Moore, F. E. Howard, A. B. Holma, W. W. Giddings and
F. E. Buddmer.

The lodge was instituted August 9, 1912, in Masonic hall by District Deputy J. L.
Cram of Petaluma. He was assisted in his work by some forty or fifty Stockton Elks.
The new lodge was hailed as Modesto Lodge No. 1282, B. P. O. E. As soon as the
lodge was instituted and the officers installed, the lodge adjourned to Stockton, there
to complete their work. The officers of the Modesto lodge, their candidates and the
members of the Stockton lodge, forming a procession of about fifty automobiles and
kd by the Modesto band on a truck, started for Stockton. Leaving about four-thirty
they arrived in time and were escorted into town by a large delegation of brother Elks.
All of the Modesto Elks and initiates wore a button bearing the words "Modesto
Lodge No. 1282, B. P. O. E., August 10, 1912." Beneath the words was an inverted
champagne bottle bearing the label "Modesto, extra dry" — this referring to the
recent election when the people voted the town dry. The entire elkdom assembled in
the Elks' hall at nine o'clock with Judge Charles W. Norton, exalted ruler of Stockton



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 157

Lodge, presiding. Twenty candidates were initiated and the lodge then conducted a
good fellowship meeting.

The presiding officers then presented the Modesto Lodge with a beautiful
American flag for use on their altar. Oakland Lodge presented them with a beautiful
electric lamp, four feet in height. San Jose gave them a specially manufactured ballot
box, and the Berkeley Lodge a handsome large Bible. Alameda, Petaluma, Richmond,
San Mateo and the Hanford lodges each gave the new lodge some useful gift for the
lodge room. George H. Bertram responded and accepted the gifts. At eleven o'clock
W. H. Langdon responded to the toast, "The Absent Members." The entire party
then retired to the banquet hall, where a fine spread was enjoyed.

Soon after the organization of the lodge, John Tully made a ,proposition to erect
a three-story brick building on his lot on Tenth street, between G and H, and fit up
the second and third stories for lodge purposes. The Elks accepted the proposition on
a five-year lease, with a ten-year lease if they so desired. The building was completed
in August, 1913, at a cost of $40,000. The entrance to the second story is by marble
stairway which leads to a cozy club room, fitted up with easy chairs and lounges.
This room, fifty feet square, also contains a billiard and pool room. The lodge room
occupies a part of the second and third story, fifty by sixty feet, with a large center
glass dome figured with Elk emblems. One the third floor is the banquet room and
kitchen. The fitting up of the lodge rooms cost approximately $10,000.

The Elks' first memorial service was held in the Modesto Theater Sunday after-
noon, December 7, 1913. The service was held in memory of J. R. High and Thomas
A. Pillman, the two members of the organization who had died since the institution
of the lodge. The exercises began with the grand march from "Aida" by the orchestra;
hymn by the Temple Quartette, Dr. J. P. Snare, F. L. Wisecarver, H. B. Rice and
Ray Bradbury; opening exercises by the lodge; prayer, Rev. W. P. Williams; quintette,
"Nearer, My God, to Thee," Mrs. Laura De Yoe Brown and the Temple Quartette ;
Eulogy, L. W. Fulkerth; soprano solo, "Fear Ye Not, Oh Israel," Mrs. Laura
Brown; poem, "Thanatopsis," C. D. Swan; original poem, G. A. Martin; oration,
T. B. Scott; song, "Aloha," Mrs. Laura Brown and quartette; Doxology, "Praise
God From Whom All Blessings Flow," audience; recessional march, orchestra; "Our
Brotherhood," P. H. Griffin; "Auld Lang Syne."

THE MODESTO CHORAL SOCIETY
This musical organization, one of the best and largest in the interior of California,
held a preliminary meeting May 11, 1909, in the Plato Opera House, Dr. B. F.
Surryhne acting as chairman. After considerable discussion they concluded to organize
a society and adjourned to meet again May 14 in Dr. Surryhne's office. On that
evening the singers again assembled and, adopting a constitution, elected as officers
Mrs. Laura De Yoe Brown, president; Mrs. Lammermain, secretary; Mrs. John W.
Ross, treasurer, and Mrs. Frank Cressey, Jr., and Dr. John P. Snare, executive com-
mittee. They voted to immediately commence practice under the direction of Professor
Twicher and sing at the Modesto Fourth of July celebration.

The club gave its first concert January 28, 1910, in Plato's Opera House on
Tenth street, between H and I streets. The program, all home talent, comprised an
orchestra selection, "Soldiers' Chorus from Faust"; contralto solo, "Lover's Spring
Time," Miss Cox; violin solo, Mr. Burgen ; reading, Miss Haley; "Sextette from
Lucia," Mrs. Laura De Yoe Brown, Miss Cox, Whitmore, Rice and Jackson ; Chorus,
"Unfold Ye Gates," from The Redemption ; address, L. L. Dennett.

In 1911 the society planned for a big musical festival to continue for two days,
May 4 and 5. Plato's Opera House had been changed into a rooming house and the
club erected a temporary pavilion on I Street, opposite the court house. The pavilion



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 23 of 177)