tainted, or they did not care to perpetuate his name through the ages. In less than
two years from the time the club was organized, the doors of the beautiful little library
were opened, in September, 1916, at a cost of $9,200. Seven hundred dollars was
laid aside for its support and Mrs. S. B. Love selected as librarian.
Financiers judge a city's wealth by the number and resources of its banks. From
this point of view Turlock is none behind the larger cities. The Modesto Herald,
knowing of the prosperous condition of the city since the irrigation canals were filled
with water, said in 1907: "Strange no one has started a bank in Turlock." Shortly
after that J. E. Ward of the First National Bank, Modesto, visited Turlock and pur-
chased two lots between Osborn & Son and M. Berg's store for the erecting of a bank
building, and July 11, 1905, the First National Bank of Turlock was opened with a
capital stock of $50,000. Oramil McHenry, the largest stockholder, was president;
C. O. Anderson, cashier, and Garrison Turner, Theodore Turner, J. P. Islip, J. P.
Fuller and O. McHenry, directors.
HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 181
The Commercial Bank was incorporated February 20, 1907, with Frederick E.
Biles as president and treasurer; F. W. Nahoun, vice-president; Ada Carr, cashier and
secretary, and Fred E. Biles, C. B. Dirke, John T. and C. T. Richey, H. G. Shearer,
F. W. Nahoun and O. J. Root, directors. The Peoples State Bank was organized
May 6, 1907, with the following officers and directors: J. E. Weaver, president;
Edgar Bixter, vice-president; A. L. Foote and Peter Erickson, directors.
Opening of Carolyn Hotel
The opening of a large first-class hotel is always an important event, especially
in small communities, and the reception to the public on the evening of September 4,
1909, by Mr. and Mrs. Julius J. Vignolo, on the opening of the Carolyn Hotel was
the social event of that period. The reception was attended by hundreds of citizens,
many of them coming from Stockton and the surrounding country. A large number
of beautiful floral pieces, sent by their many friends, graced the lobby. At its entrance
the guests were received by Mr. and Mrs. Vignolo, while their two daughters, Carolyn,
after whom the hotel is named, and Florence, conducted the guests throughout the
building. The visitors were served with punch, ice cream and cake, while Bedeson's
orchestra of Merced delightfully entertained the guests with music, the finest ever
heard in Turlock, the orchestra later playing for the dance held in the north room of
After the old landmark, the Turlock Hotel, had been torn down, the building 100
feet on Front Street and 117 feet on Main Street was erected at a cost of $25,000.
The corner on the first floor was occupied by the Turlock Land Company, next east
came R. R. Rice, barber shop, then the hotel office, the dining room, and a drug store.
On the Front Street side, next to the land company, came a confectionery store, cigar
and pool room, and porter's room. On the morning of May 21, 1920, the building
was damaged by fire to the extent of over $10,000. The fire started in a pile of rub-
bish on the roof of the one-story kitchen.
Of the smaller towns in Stanislaus County there are several that are prosperous
and wealthy, each one growing in size and population and each one a central depot for
the transportation of tons of valuable products. Crows Landing, named after Isaac P.
Crow, who died there October 14, 1905, at the age of 90 years, was moved up from
the river bank to the railroad. It is a busy little burg, with a Chamber of Commerce,
two religious denominations, two banks and a grammar school costing $35,000.
Mrs. A. E. Ulch
About 118 miles to the east of San Francisco, in the heart of the beautiful San
Joaquin Valley, the city of Ceres has grown up among trees and vines and lovely flowers.
In the autumn of 1867, Daniel Whitmore, having possessed himself of thousands of
acres of the fertile lands in this vicinity, came here to reside with his family. His
house was the first one built on what is now the site of the city of Ceres; and with his
family, consisting of his wife and three sons, he took up his residence there. The house
is still there, and is now the home of Guy C. Whitmore and his family, and is one of
the landmarks on Fifth Street. Guy C. Whitmore is a grandson of Daniel Whit-
more, the pioneer who, with all his family, have passed from earth life.
When the main branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad was built through the
valley, a flag station was made here, and in 1874 the first depot was built, and Cyrus
Lee was the first station agent. This station was named Ceres because of the large
quantities of wheat grown upon the surrounding plains, which made the name of
the goddess most appropriate.
John G. Annear was one of the pioneers of Ceres and built a blacksmith shop
in June, 1872. He was a good mechanic and did the work, with his helpers, for farmers
for many miles around this vicinity. His family consisted of a wife, one son
and one daughter. His wife died about two years ago. His son, the late Edgar H.
182 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY
Annear, was a man of marked ability. He was for several years the county surveyor
of Stanislaus County and was the engineer under whose directions the beautiful bridge
across the Tuolumne, north of Ceres, was constructed. He died during the World
War in the service of his country, with the rank of major. The daughter, Mrs. Ellen
Wilson, lives in Ceres with her family of four children, and with her J. G. Annear
makes his home.
The first store was started in 1877, a firm named Bradley & Reed being the
proprietors. The town was laid out and Daniel Whitmore made it famous by a
clause in each deed given for town lots, prohibiting the manufacture, sale or giving
away of any kind of intoxicating liquors thereon, with a penalty attached for violation,
so Ceres was a "dry" town from the beginning.
Some of the family names of those who settled here in the early days of the town
are Service, Warner, Conner, Williams, Cook, Brouse, Chapin, Wallace, Witherell,
Lee, Glenn, Wiggins, Woodbridge, Tully, Hanscom, Averill, Hall, Roberts, McNeil
Craig, Hatch and Ulch.
In the year 1870 the first school was taught in the Ceres district by Mrs. Aurelia
Chapin, who continued in the capacitv of teacher here nine years. It is a long time from
1870 to 1921, and time has wrought many changes. Then there was a little one-
room schoolhouse, white with green shutters at the windows, the type so well known.
Now. a half century later, a fine white brick grammar school building, with supple-
mentary buildings and all modern equipment, a splendid brick high school building,
with automobile instruction shop and other mechanical shops, all modern, a corps of
teachers to the number of twenty-five and about 700 pupils.
The first church, a Baptist Church, was organized in October, 1879, with twelve
constituent members, only one of whom remains, Mrs. C. N. Whitmore, widow of
C. N. Whitmore, who was a son of the pioneer, Daniel Whitmore. This little organ-
ization has grown to a church of more than 200 members. The first church edifice
was built and dedicated in 1881-1882. It was a beautiful building, the pride of the
community, but one night in 1890 it was consumed by fire. Insurance upon the
building had inadvertently been allowed to expire; the members bravely went about
the construction of a new building and in 1891 the present structure was dedicated.
Today the church property of the Ceres Baptists is valued at $25,000.
Three other churches have been organized here as the years have rolled on,
Congregational, Methodist and Christian, with a membership now averaging perhaps
150 each, and each church with neat places of worship and parsonages.
The city of Ceres is incorporated, with a population of approximately 1,000:
but it is the center of a rich, rural population of about 17,000 people, much of the
land adjoining the city being divided into lots of from one to ten acres each. Smyrna
Park is the home of the Calimyrna fig, but here also grow in great abundance olives,
peaches, pears, apricots, all kinds of berries and grapes. Alfalfa fields are seen in
every direction in North, East, West and South Ceres. Here also large crops of
beans, melons and even wheat are harvested. Wheat has not been so much in evi-
dence in these later years as formerly, before the irrigation district was completed.
In 1895 a reunion of residents and ex-residents of Ceres was a notable affair,
which we would like to describe if we had space, but this is one of many things we
must hurriedly pass by.
A new sewer sj'stem is being constructed, costing about $10,000, but this will
not be adequate. Citizens will have to use of their own private funds to meet the вАҐ
need. Ceres has a live Board of Trade of about 75 members. The business of the
town is large, several mercantile houses, drug stores, restaurants, packing houses
and warehouses, all doing well, and there is great need of a thoroughly modern hotel.
The lodges in the city, active just now, are the Artisans and the Odd Fellows.
Other important organizations are the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, the
Red Cross and a Parent-Teachers Association, as well as a Farm Center and a Young
Men's Club. Ceres also has a branch library with nearly 1,000 card holders, Mrs.
HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 183
One newspaper is published here, the Ceres Courier, a good, clean sheet with a
wide circulation. A free movie show, it might be called an out-of-doors theater, is a
great success. It is an attraction for crowds of people, and it is due to the generosity
of a number of citizens who contributed to the expense of establishing it here.
The Bank of Ceres is a beautiful building and does a large business. It is .con-
sidered one of the solid institutions of the State of California.
Four of the grandsons of the late Daniel Whitmore have beautiful homes in
Ceres. Vaughn D. Whitmore is mayor of the city and president of the county board
Denair, formerly known as the Elmwood Colony, was named after John
Denair, who laid out the townsite in 1907. The town is three miles from Turlock,
and the Santa Fe Railroad planned to erect a roundhouse, machine shops and other
buildings on the Elmwood colony. Denair learned their plan and bought up the
land. His price to the Santa Fe for land was so high that they refused to purchase,
so goes the story, and they located at Riverbank. As the land was within the Turlock
Irrigation District, farmers began purchasing small tracts of land for the raising of
fruits, vegetables and alfalfa, and this gave an impetus to the growth of the town. It
now has a population of about 400 persons within the town limits and some 1,500
persons in close proximity. A fine grammar school was erected in 1916, and a hand-
some Union high school is just completed at a cost of $60,000. There are in the
town three religious organizations, the Christians, the Mission and the Friends, each
denomination worshipping in a little frame chapel. The town is supplied with water
from an elevated iron tank. Pure water may be found at a depth of sixty feet. The
Commercial Bank of Turlock has there located a branch bank, and there are seven
packing plants for the packing of the melons and fruit grown in the vicinity of Denair.
Hickman, which lies on the Tuolumne just south of Waterford, was named
after Louis M. Hickman, at one time a hardware merchant and mayor of Stockton.
In the late '60s, Mr. Hickman married Mary Dallas, the eldest daughter of Charles
Dallas, and he and his father-in-law became two of the earliest settlers in the county.
The town has within its limits a $20,000 grammar school, a house of worship and is
quite a prominent shipping point.
Empire, a survival of the old town, Empire City, is now on the line of a railroad
lying about five miles east of Modesto. It is a farming community and chiefly occupied
by Dunkards, a large colony of them arriving many years ago from Indiana. They
are a very quiet, orderly and industrious people and frequently seen upon the streets
of Modesto, are noticeable because of their peculiar dress.
The 2,080-acre ranch owned by Hiram L. Hughson was purchased by Flock &
Jacobson in 1907 and subdivided into small farms. They also laid out the town site.
On account of litigation, development was held back about ten years, when operations
began in earnest, and since that it has had a steady growth. Through intensive farm-
ing, the colony has made rapid progress, particularly in orchards, vineyards and alfalfa
fields. General farming, dairying and grain raising is carried on extensively. The
town has built up steadily and buildings have been erected commensurate with the
growth of the town.
The first merchant in Hughson was Mr. Chenoweth, his store being a small
wooden building on the west side of the railroad. The second man to locate here in
business was N. G. Clark, who came from Modesto and started a small hardware
store and bicycle repair shop, but it is now exclusively a hardware store. Mr. Cheno-
weth was the first postmaster, the post office being located in his store.
The first grammar school was built in 1908, opening with two teachers; the
school has grown until ten teachers are now employed. The Hughson high school
184 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY
was built in 1920, at a cost of $110,000, a large, beautiful and substantial building,
of which the citizens are very proud. It was opened in February, 1921. Hughson has
a fine domestic water system, and has a fire and lighting district. The last census gave
the population as 400, but there are probably 500 residents.
The city of Newman, sometimes called the metropolis of the West Side, was
founded by settlers from Hill's Ferry, who removed their houses and homes to a
point near the railroad. In the number was the young merchant, Simon Newman, and
after him the town was named. He died in San Francisco October 8, 1911.
Newman was incorporated as a city of the sixth class in 1908. Its officers in
1911 comprised the following: President of trustees, J. H. Yancy; trustees, W. Tin-
nin, J. H. Beall, C. E. Eddelson, J. N. Stuhr; city clerk, Helen Price; attorney, G. A.
Whitby; treasurer, W. J. Burris; marshal, R. S. Kernaham. In 1915 the officers
were: President of trustees, J. H. Beall; trustees, William Tinnin, G. O. Eddel-
mon ; A. Cronwell, J. N. Stuhr; clerk, Helen O. Price; attorney, G. A. Whitby;
treasurer, Wm. J. Burris; marshal, R. S. Kernaham. The population, according to
the census of 1921, is 1,251.
A handsome Union high school was built in 1906. It is known as the Orestemba
high school and Edmund P. Halley has been the principal of the school since 1910.
The school trustees erected a fine grammar school in 1912 at a cost of $50,000. It is
said to be one of the finest concrete school buildings in the county.
The town boasts of two and took considerable pride in its three banks, namely,
The Bank of Newman, the Portuguese-American Bank, a branch of the San Francisco
bank of the same name, and the First National Bank. The last named bank closed
its doors and two of its officers were tried and found guilty of embezzlement. The
Bank of Newman was incorporated May 4, 1903, and is said to be one "of the most
solid and conservative financial institutions in the United States." Its first officers
were E. S. Wagenheim, president ; J. H. Elfries, vice-president ; W. W. Giddings,
secretary and cashier, and J. L. Kinnear, treasurer. The bank commissioners' report
of 1920 gives the following officers and directors: E. S. Wagenheim, president:
J. H. Elfries, vice-president; A. B. Joseph, secretary and cashier; J. L. Kinnear,
treasurer"; C. W. Hawks, assistant to president; F. S. Powell, assistant cashier. The
bank has a branch at Crows Landing, A. W. Drummond, manager, and one at Gus-
tine. E. J. Moorhead, manager. The bank directors are E. S. Wagenheim, A. M.
Souza, J. H. Elfries, L. J. Newman, Fred Bartch (died May 1, 1921), F. R. Stevin-
son, J. L. Kinnear, W. W. Cox and H. V. Armistead.
Several secret societies have been instituted in the town, among them a Masonic
and Eastern Star lodge, Knights of Pythias, who own the hall and building, Woodmen
of the World, Neighbors of Woodcraft, a Danish lodge and Newman encampment
No. 98, Orestimba lodge No. 354, I. O. O. F., and Santa Rita lodge No. 206,
Rebekahs. The Odd Fellows own their hall and the lodge was instituted November
25, 1889, by Grand Master Charles Jenkins, with the following charter members:
Sydney Crelley, Charles Herring, Jasper Parnell, E. H. Robinson and S. Rasmussen.
In their first report to the grand lodge they had thirty-eight members. The Rebekah
Lodge was instituted April 10, 1894, by Catherine Freeman, district deputy grand
master. They surrendered their charter in 1899. A few years later the lodge was
reinstituted with the same name and number.
The churches, five in number, include the Catholic, Christian Science, Lutheran,
Methodist and Presbyterian. The denomination first-named, St. Joachim, is a small
wooden structure erected in 1904 and dedicated four years later by Archbishop
Montgomery. Until 1906 it was included in the Modesto parish in charge of Father
Giles. In that year Father John Leal became the resident priest, remaining until
1910. The parish, now containing four missions, Gustine, Patterson, Crows Landing
HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 185
and Grayson, is in charge of four Spanish priests of the "Order of the Immaculate
Heart of Man" in Los Angeles.
Newspapers and Library
The first newspaper, the Newman Tribune, was issued in 1888 by Bert Eachus,
and the present journal, the West Side Index, was first issued in 1890 by Innis
The Newman free library was founded in 1908 by the Woman's Improvement
Club, with Mrs. A. Sartoris as librarian. It is supported by contributions and money
obtained by the club from entertainments, etc. The ladies, in July, 1909, purchased
a lot for the library at the corner of Kern and O streets and immediately began
beautifying the site by planting shade trees, plants and grass plots. They were in
iiopes in the future to obtain a Carnegie library building. Their hopes thus far have
not materialized, for the state library report of this year says that the library is located
in rooms provided by the club. Mrs. Sartoris resigned as librarian in July, 1911, and
Miss Helen Lynch, the present librarian, was appointed. The little library was
founded with thirty books on the shelves. It now numbers 1,141 miscellaneous vol-
umes, these including half a hundred books donated in 1911 by Mrs. R. L. Hodshire.
Fire and Water Supply
The city has a good fire department, with apparatus sufficient to extinguish any
fire. This is possible because of a plentiful supply of water and a heavy water hose
pressure from a high reservoir. The water is pumped from three deep wells, the pump
delivering 500 gallons of water per minute. The firemen are now uniformed in the
regulation fireman's coat, and each fireman will wear a fireman's badge.
THE PATTERSON COLONY
The townsite of Patterson ten years ago was a grain field, and the citizens point
with considerable pride to that fact because it shows the wonderful progressive growth
of the town since 1910. The tract is but a small portion of the Spanish grant known
as the Rancho Del Puerto, named after the creek which flows from the western foot-
hills. The grant, containing some 20,000 acres, was purchased in 1864 by John D.
Patterson, the deed being signed by the President, Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Patterson
died in New York in 1902 at the age of eighty-seven years. He came to California
in 1854 around Cape Horn, bringing with him several pure-bred Spanish Merino
sheep, and for many years he was engaged in the raising of pure-bred shorthorn cattle
and sheep, and a few well-bred racing horses. He was one of the leading stock-
raisers in California for many years, and at every state and county fair he would cap-
ture the first prizes.
As the Southern Pacific Railroad pushed its way along the West Side, at the
request of Simon Newman, perhaps, or Patterson himself, the company placed a sid-
ing within the limits of the present city. It was known to the railroad men as the
Emerald switch. At that point Simon Newman erected a warehouse for the storage
of grain. When the Patterson estate was settled, the Rancho Del Puerto fell to the
heirs, one of them T. W. Patterson. The heirs, forming a company in 1909, began
laying out the land for irrigation. The water was pumped from the San Joaquin
River, and October 25, 1910, it was first run over the land. The irrigation system
is one of the most complete in California, says the Patterson Irrigator. "The com-
bined pumping stations is 1,645 horsepower, capable of supplying three acre feet of
water yearly to the 19,000 acres in the tract." The company then divided the land
into small tracts and began selling it to colonists. The first purchaser is said to be
R. R. Peters, who purchased a tract February 2, 1910, now the corner of Walnut and
Two large purchasers of land were William Cox and Frederick Bartch. They
had bought their land near the present townsite, and two years later Mr. Bartch, retir-
ing from farming, cut his land up into five, ten and twenty-acre tracts and began dis-
posing of it to settlers. He was for years actively engaged in the developing and up-
building of the West Side and widely known up and down the San Joaquin Valley.
186 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY
After an illness of less than a month, he died May 1, 1921, at the age of seventy-six
years. Serving with the New York Volunteers in the Civil War, he came to Stanis-
laus County in 1876 and lived the balance of his life on his ranch near Patterson.
An interesting feature of the colony is the fact that the first concrete grain
elevator built in the great San Joaquin Valley was erected at Patterson. It has a
capacity of 30,000 bushels of grain and is one of the feeders of the great system that
has its outlet at Alameda.
THE CITY OF PATTERSON
Patterson, embracing a tract of some 400 acres, is quite a noticeable city for at
least two reasons: first, because of its buildings in a semi-circle, and second, because
its first business projects were backed up by those parties who founded the town.
The Patterson heirs founded the place, and T. W. Patterson was one of the leading
spirits in the project. The town was laid out after the old Spanish plaza type, its
broad, tree-bordered, well-kept streets all converging to a small circle, the center of
which is the administration building. It was so planned in 1910 by Mr. Patterson.
C. J. Carlson was appointed postmaster in 1911, serving for one year.
As it takes coin for the advancement of any project, and a place of deposit for
the coin, the first building erected was a bank. "It is one of the prettiest in the state,"
says the Irrigator, "costing over $25,000, and with over $100,000 in deposits," in
1915. It was incorporated May 23, 1911, the present officers and directors being
(Bank Commissioner's report, 1920): C. J. Carlson, president; J. M. Smith, vice-
president; Ole Torvend, secretary-treasurer and cashier; Otto Olsen, assistant cashier.
Directors, A. M. Field, C. J. Carlson, J. C. Fulton, Ole Torvend, E. A. Erickson,
J. M. Kerr, Manuel Rodgers, J. M. Smith and O. S. Lokka. A second bank, the
Commercial, is now being constructed. A handsome hotel was then built by the
company at a cost of $25,000 and, now under lease, is still owned by the company. A
second hotel, at a cost of some $18,000, was later erected. Following the building of
the hotel, the company erected a substantial building for a general merchandising store
and this was followed by a garage.
A two-story grammar school, constructed of wood, was erected in 1911, additions
to serve the increased number of children being made the following year. Previous
to 1915, a handsome concrete grammar school was erected at a cost of $25,000. The
citizens voted a bond issue this year of $60,000 for a second grammar school. There
are at present 457 pupils in the grammar grades, James W. Bixby being the principal
of the school since 1916. In 1913 a Union high school was constructed approxi-
mating about $50,000 in cost. The school at present has eighty-seven pupils, J. Fraser
Evans being the principal.
The pioneer newspaper of the town is the Patterson Irrigator, first issued in