Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 46 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 46 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


328 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Of the three children born to this worthy pioneer couple, George was the oldest
and is the only one living. As has been stated, he first went to school near the old
Crimea House on Keystone Flat, and later for a short time attended the Berkeley
preparatory school at Berkeley, and since then his education has been obtained by his
own efforts, reading and studying at night and through first-hand practical expe-
rience, and is today a well-informed man.

In 1877, George Whitworth started out for himself, embarking in grain raising
on Quinto Creek on a farm of 600 acres. He really acquired for his enterprise 450
acres and then leased adjoining land. In 1882 he came to his present location and
purchased 120 acres three miles south of Newman, under the San Joaquin River canal,
and since then he has added eighty acres adjoining. This he has leveled and checked
and sown to alfalfa. The soil is very rich and productive and yields large crops. The
200 acres has been divided into two farms, each leased to tenants and improved with
a set of farm buildings with sanitary barns for dairying, the two places carrying about
160 cows. He also owns eighty acres across the canal, where he expects to install a
pumping plant and also raise alfalfa.

In December, 1892, Mr. Whitworth was married at Santa Cruz to Miss Agnes
Mahoney, by whom he had three children: John Henry and Geo. Hall, and the
youngest was Carol, who died when she was six months old. Mrs. Whitworth, who
was born in San Francisco, passed away in 1903.

On May 27, 1905, Mr. Whitworth married the second time, being united with
Miss Harriet Collier, the daughter of W. G. and Anna (Jackson) Collier, who was
born at Sonora, Tuolumne County. On her mother's side she is related to Gen.
Stonewall Jackson and to Gen. Robert E. Lee. Her parents moved to Merced County
when she was only three years old, where her father was a large stock raiser, and came
to have as many as 2,500 head of cattle and a ranch of 2,500 acres on the Merced
River. He was born in Kentucky, while his wife was born in Missouri. In 1853 he
crossed the plains to California and settled in the mountainous district of Tuolumne
County, where he was a lumberman before he started as a stock raiser. Mrs. Whit-
worth attended the grammar schools of her district and later graduated from the
San Jose State Normal and became an instructor in the schools of Merced County,
where she spent twenty years in the noble work of educating the young. She inherited
156 acres of the Collier estate on the Merced River and later Mr. Whitworth purchased
104 acres adjoining, making a total of 260 acres, which they improved with a large
pumping plant and devoted to alfalfa and later sold to good advantage.

Mr. and Mrs. Whitworth have recently completed a thoroughly modern stucco
residence of fine architecture and very artistically planned, the inside being finished
in ivory and mahogany, and is one of the finest residences in the entire San Joaquin
Valley. Mrs. Whitworth is a woman of culture and with her artistic tastes, the
home is most beautifully furnished.

In 1900 Mr. Whitworth was nominated on the Democratic ticket for supervisor
of the Fourth District in Merced County and was elected and so well has he dis-
charged his duties that he has been reelected five times by good majorities. In the
primaries in August, 1920, through the apathy of his friends, who were away on vaca-
tions and who were confident of his nomination, his opponent won out by 124 votes.
Then Mr. Whitworth and his friends instituted a write-in campaign and his long and
efficient service was rewarded by his election by a safe majority and he entered upon
his sixth term of service as supervisor, serving longer than any former incumbent of
the office in the county. During his years of planning with other members of the board,
Mr. Whitworth has seen much permanent improvement and building accomplished.
This includes the new jail and the new county hospital and some very substantial
bridges, among them a steel bridge over the Merced River a mile above its mouth,
also the San Luis bridge and the bridge over the Merced River near Livingston, and
another over the same river known as the Millikin bridge, a beautiful reinforced-
concrete structure and one of the finest in the valley; also the Merced Falls, McSwains
and Arundale bridges, and he was very enthusiastic in building the bridge at Hill's
Ferry. There has also been much building of new roads, and the expenditure of a







^




HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 331

$1,250,000 bond issue constructing county highways. A Democrat in national poli-
tics, Mr. Whitworth fraternally is a member of the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen
of the World at Newman and also of the Woodcraft and Degree of Honor at the
same place. All in all, Mr. Whitworth, in his long years of residence on the West
Side, has an enviable record, and his life has been an open book, so much so that his
integrity and honesty of purpose have never been questioned and in his unselfish way
he has tried to do all he could to build up the community and enhance the facilities
for the comfort and happiness of the people.

JAMES GORDON ELMORE.— One of Stanislaus County's leading citizens is
James Gordon Elmore, Stanislaus County pioneer. He was born in Pike County, Mo.,
November 28, 1843, and is the son of Anderson P. and Sarah Jane (Kerr) Elmore.
The father was born in North Carolina and the mother is a native of Missouri, in
which state the parents were married.

The eldest child in a family of fourteen, James G. grew to maturity upon his
father's Missouri farm and received his education in the common district schools,
attending only about three months in a year; the balance of the time he worked on the
farm. He crossed the Mississippi River and worked out by the month in Pike County,
111., and later in Schuyler County, 111. Then imbued with the desire to come to Cali-
fornia, crossed the plains in 1865 with his brother, Benjamin. The journey from
Hannibal, Mo., to Stockton, Cal., consumed four months, and they reached their
destination, one and a half miles north of what is now Salida, August 14, 1865. In
1867 his brother Benjamin returned to Missouri via Panama and brought the father,
mother and the rest of the family back to California in 1869 by railroad. After coming
to California, James G. worked for wages a year or two, and in 1867 settled on what
was called the Rollin Grant, an old Spanish grant without a good legal title. Legal
proceedings decided that it was a bogus grant, then the railroad came in on the settlers
and claimed the odd-numbered sections, and Mr. Elmore found himself involved in
a second lawsuit, this time with the railroad. Decision was favorable for the settlers,
which left Mr. Elmore with 320 acres of land. He had originally bought out a squat-
ter's claim and homesteaded it, and he preempted 160 acres, making 320 acres alto-
gether. He sowed his land to wheat and barley and hauled many a load of grain to
Stockton, a distance of twenty-three miles from Salida, over what is now the State
Highway. The purchase of another half-section brought his holdings up to 640 acres,
which he later disposed of in various sized pieces from time to time until it was all
sold. In 1880 he purchased a place at Salida, comprising 220 acres, from his brother-
in-law, Mr. B. F. Parks, who is now living at Madera. Mr. Elmore built a new
two-story ten-room house on his new property, and this house is still standing near
Salida. He continued to farm and improve the place and also ran a threshing outfit
and a barley crushing mill at Salida. In 1918 he sold this place, reserving twenty-two
acres for a home, upon which he built a beautiful new six-room bungalow.

Mr. Elmore has always been active in furthering the best interests of the com-
munity, and was a prime mover and stockholder in the Salida Grange Company at
Salida, which continued to exist as long as that section produced grain as the principal
crop. When the country became a horticultural center the grange warehouses and
other interests were sold. In early days before Salida and Modesto were in existence,
Mr. Elmore recalls riding horseback over their sites. Both these places came on the
map with the advent of the Central Pacific Railway, now the Southern Pacific Railway.

Mr. Elmore has been twice married. In 1867 he was united to Miss Sarah
Feagins, a sister of Mrs. Margaret E. Byrum, and after a union of twenty years
death claimed his life-partner and left him and six children to mourn her loss. The
children born of their union are: Pleasant Anderson; Mary Louisa, who became the
wife of C. S. Abbott, secretary of the Modesto Irrigation District. Mrs. Abbott was
instantly killed in an auto collision on the road to Modesto, leaving one child named
Elmore; Susan B. is the widow of Joe Love; she resides in Turlock, where she is the
librarian. A. G. Elmore is the very efficient superintendent of schools of Stanislaus
County and resides at Modesto. Grace Elizabeth died in 1915, single. Sadie L. is



332 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

the wife of Phil. Hessler, and resides at San Francisco. Mr. Elmore has three grand-
children. He contracted a second marriage, July 22, 1888, with Mrs. Mary M.
Burks, nee Orr, a most estimable lady. She is the mother of three children by her
first husband: Leslie E. Burks, attorney-at-law in San Francisco, Chester W. Burks,
engaged in the real estate business in San Francisco, and Mrs. Ella W. Davis, of
Fresno. Mrs. Elmore is state evangelistic superintendent of the W. C. T. U. ; a mem-
ber of the Eastern Star of Modesto and the Women's Improvement Club of Salida, of
which she is a charter member and the first treasurer. She was the first woman in the
county to run for the Assembly. Among his other interests, Mr. Elmore is a director
in the First National Bank at Salida. He was a member of the Cumberland Pres-
byterian church from 1866 until the congregation dissolved; he then, with others,
organized the Congregational church at Salida. He was vice-president of the Stanis-
laus County Farmers Alliance and president of the Salida organization. Although a
Democrat in his political convictions he is liberal, and considers the character of the
individual and correct principles of government in casting his vote, regardless of party
affiliations. A hard worker and a man of keen business judgment, he is esteemed for
his breadth of mind, generosity, integrity and kindly spirit, and in the afternoon of
life is spending his declining years in the enjoyment of a well-earned competence and
the well-merited confidence and respect of the people of his community.

ROBERT L. DALLAS.— Endowed with those sterling traits of character that
win the respect and esteem of mankind, R. L. Dallas stands high in the regard of the
citizens in the community of Modesto, Stanislaus County, as the sheriff of the county,
and has proved an efficient and popular public officer. He is a descendant of one of
the oldest families of the pioneer days, being the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Charles
Dallas, who were born in Scotland and, having heard of the wonderful opportunities
presented in the new country, they came to America and first settled in Iowa, then in
1849, during the days of the gold rush, they crossed the plains, a daughter having
been born in Sierra Nevada Mountains on the way, then settled at Horseshoe Bend,
Mariposa County, Cal., where Mr. Dallas engaged in mining. In 1850 they located
on a ranch on the Tuolumne River near what is now Hickman, Stanislaus County.,
where the old ranch house, which was built in 1851, still stands, a memorial to the
days of the pioneers. He first engaged in farming and stock raising, later locating in
Stockton and operating a livery bus and at the same time looking after his ranch.
He lived to be sixty-four years old, his death occurring in 1881. They were the
parents of five children: Robert, William, John, Mrs. L. M. Hickman and Sierra
Nevada, the latter two living in Sausalito. Mr. and Mrs. Dallas were members of
the Presbyterian Church.

John Dallas, who was born in Tipton, Iowa, in 1847, became a tinsmith in
Stockton, then engaged in ranching in the eastern part of Stanislaus County until a
few years before his death in 1915, at the age of sixty-seven years. His wife, Made-
lame Roegik, who was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, came with her parents to
New York City, then to California via Panama in the early sixties; she died in
Oakland in 19r7 at the same age as her husband. They were the parents of three
children : Herbert L. is a rancher near Modesto ; Robert L., and John A., a member
of the Modesto city police force.

Robert L. Dallas, the subject of this sketch, was born on his father's ranch near
Hickman, September 12, 1872, and was reared there, attending the public schools of
that locality, then attending the College of the Pacific at San Jose, where he completed
a business course, after which he continued on the ranch until he reached the age of
twenty-one. Learning the jewelry and watchmaker's trade he engaged in business for
himself in Salinas for a period of two years, then returned to the valley and at Stock-
ton engaged in the jewelry business there for another two years. Entering the employ
of the Southern Pacific Railroad as agent, he was sent as agent at Hickman and con-
tinued there for six years, later resigning to accept the office of under sheriff under
A. S. Dingley in 1909. He held this position until July, 1911, when he was offered
the office of chief of police in Modesto under the commission form of government, and




nly daughter of three children.

Mr. and Mrs. Broughton have been blessed with two children. Irvin R. was
i graduate of the University of California and spent five years in the Modesto Bank,
after which he entered the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco, beginning there
in 1917 and continuing until his death in January, 1919. He left a wife and two
sons. Miss Esto'is a graduate of the University of California, with the degree of
LL.B., and is a practicing attorney in Modesto ; she is now serving her second term
as a member of the Assembly of the California Legislature. She is a prominent mem-
ber of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

In 1879 Mr. Broughton was made a Mason in Modesto Lodge No. 206, F. &
A. M., and later he became a charter member of the Oakdale lodge of Masons. He
is also a member of the Modesto Chapter, R. A. M. He belongs to the San Fran-
cisco Consistory of the Scottish Rite, and is a member of Aahmes Temple, A. A. O. N.
M. S. in Oakland. In 1880 he joined the Odd Fellows here, where he is a past
grand and served as treasurer of the lodge for twenty-four years. He belongs to
the Modesto Lodge of Elks, and also to Parlor No. 102, of the N. S. G. W. He,
his wife and daughter are members of the Rebekahs and of the Eastern Star.

MRS. BIRDIE G. MAZE. — A business woman whose parents are old settlers,
and whose exceptional success in the conducting of her drug store is doubtless due, in
part, to the inheriting of pioneer traits, is Mrs. Birdie G. Maze, a native daughter,
born near Modesto, and the daughter of Henry Cavill, who came from Devonshire,
England. He arrived in California in 1859, and after mining for gold for a while,
he became a farmer. As such he was one of the early settlers of Stanislaus County,
locating here in 1867, and now, with most interesting recollections of stirring days,
he is enjoying a retired life at Modesto, eighty-nine years of age. He had married
Mrs. Matilda Elizabeth (Standiford) Cobb, a native of Missouri, who, as the wife
of John Cobb, had crossed the plains to California in an ox-team train in 1863. They
settled on land eight miles from what is now Modesto in the primitive period, when
they had to haul both their produce and lumber from far-away Stockton ; and there
Mr. Cobb died. Mrs. Cobb, who is still living at Modesto, later married Mr. Cavill,
and their union has proven very happy. Mrs. Maze's grandparents, John and Jane
Standiford, also came to California.

Mrs. Maze was educated in the Wilson School at Oakland and at the Alameda
high school, and in 1905 she became Mrs. Maze. One son was born of this marriage,




y~^u .jlJLz.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 339

Albert Cavill Maze. In 1916, she started her career as a druggist, and since then she
has continued actively in that field, meeting with more and more success. Her drug
store is located at the corner of Tenth and H streets, and with its well-appointed
balcony and its complete, fresh stock, makes an attractive place of business. Mrs.
Maze is an influential leader in the Alameda Drug Association ; she belongs to
the Rebekahs, being a member of the Golden West Lodge No. 110; and she attends
the Episcopal Church.

MRS. FRANKLIN C. DAVIS.— A large-hearted, broad-minded pioneer whose
activity and public service in development will long be remembered with gratitude by
those who come after him, was the late Franklin C. Davis, a native of Franklin
County, Ark., where he was born on the banks of the Arkansas River, in that portion
of the state known as the Fever Banks of the river, because the fever and plague was so
prevalent among the early settlers. He was the son of Noah and Kate Ann (Scott)
Davis, who settled in Arkansas where Franklin was reared on the farm. With J. B.
Covert, Mrs. Davis' father, he and his brother and Mr. Covert drove cattle across the
plains, and after arriving in California, Franklin Davis and his brother Edward took
care of the cattle on a ranch known as the Rock Creek cattle ranch.

On January 21, 1864, Mr. Davis and Miss Rachael Rosella Covert were married
at Stockton. She was born in Ozark, Franklin County, Ark., and her parents were
John Bates and Hester Ann (Warner) Covert, born in Indiana and Virginia, re-
spectively. They were farmers in Arkansas until 1856, when they crossed the plains
with their family coming in an ox team train of forty wagons besides bringing a lot
of loose cattle. Six months were necessary to complete the journey, which they accom-
plished safely, coming by the way of Salt Lake City. John Covert settled on the old
Ashe ranch, ten miles east of Stockton, but soon afterwards he purchased a ranch of
300 acres about two miles west of the Ashe ranch where he carried on farming. His
wife died in October, 1862, while he spent his last days in Hanford, Tulare County,



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 46 of 177)