Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 52 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 52 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Joaquin and on the north side of the Tuolumne River, and here they were engaged in
raising stock and grain for many years. In the meantime, Mr. Walden engaged in
freighting; and he was also in the merchandise business at Springfield, Tuolumne
County, ran a stage line, conducted a livery business and acted for the Wells Fargo &
Company express. He prospered and became an active figure in Democratic circles,
where he wielded a strong influence and served in the state legislature for two terms,
during which he framed and was influential in having passed the No Fence Law. In
Tuolumne City he served as a justice of the peace and it was in that place that he
helped to establish the first newspaper, the Tuolumne City Nen's, now grown into
the Modesto Evening Nezvs. He was a member of the Odd Fellows, at one time
serving as noble grand of the Tuolumne Lodge.

When the new town of Modesto was founded, Mr. Walden came with the others
from Tuolumne City, bought considerable real estate in the new townsite and began
to build up the place. Among the pieces of property he owned was the present site
of Hotel Modesto; G. P. Schafer's store, which was the family residence site, the
house having been moved from Tuolumne City. For many years he conducted and
owned a livery business in Modesto. Of the original Junction Ranch, 1,000 acres are
still in the possession of the Walden family.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 393

Six children were granted Mr. and Mrs. Walden: Mrs. Ella Brand, who is liv-
ing with her mother at 817 Eighth Street, Modesto; she was born May 1, 1856;
Louis, born September 6, 1857, makes his home on the Junction Ranch; Minnie, now
deceased, was born on January 8, 1863; Miner Walden, Jr., first saw the light
on May 9, 1867, and lives on the old home ranch; Stephen was born on June 20,
1870, is employed in Modesto; and Budd, born on August 28, 1878, is also in
Modesto. On May 22, 1916, the date of the death of Miner Walden, there passed
away in Stanislaus County one of the sturdiest of the pioneers who helped to lay
broad and deep the foundations of the present great commonwealth of California.

EDGAR BAXTER. — A progressive rancher who has been especially prominent
and serviceable in his rational advocacy of irrigation as one of the most necessary pro-
visions for the future in California, is Edgar Baxter, who was born near Rockford,
the seat of Winnebago County, in Illinois, on February 16, 1851, the son of John
Baxter, a native of Ulster County, N. Y., who had married Miss Maria Horton, of
Tompkins County in that state. -They emigrated to Illinois in 1834, and settled on
a farm near Rockford, and both died in the latter place after well-spent lives.

Edgar Baxter, growing up in those pioneer days, finished his schooling at the age
of fourteen, and then went to work in earnest on his father's farm, which engrossed
his attention until 1873, when he came to California. He threshed during harvest
time in Stanislaus County, and came to Turlock in the same year, when it was merely
a railroad station, store and express office, and has thus spent most of his life here.

At twenty-eight years of age he took up extensive grain farming on his own account,
and the first year he controlled 640 acres, which he farmed to wheat. For a number
of years thereafter he farmed at different places as many as two thousand acres, which
he planted to wheat and barley. In 1881 he purchased 340 acres of land at twenty dol-
lars per acre, and the following year he added to that 260 acres at thirty dollars per acre.
Twelve 3'ears later the land valuations slumped, but he stood by his investment, and
recently he has realized handsomely by subdividing a part of the land into various small
farms, each now prosperous in the hands of others.

Mr. Baxter was a strong advocate of irrigation, and in May, 1887, he cir-
culated the petition of his district for the bond election, and met with unusual success.
He has been a "booster" for Turlock and Stanislaus County ever since, and during the
recent World War he helped along greatly the drives for the sale of Liberty Bonds,
and served as a committeeman. He has kept pace with all forward, really progressive,
movements of the state and nation, and while duly conservative, is a very able gentle-
man. He is a director of the People's State Bank at Turlock, and has been one of the
guiding spirits in Turlock's financial circles since the bank, in which he is a stock-
holder, was established in 1907. He supports all of the churches, if called upon, with-
out having any religious preference, and believes in the principles of Democracy.

At Turlock on October 9, 1879, Mr. Baxter was married to May Fulkerth.
Mrs. Baxter died August 4, 1891, the mother of two children: William J. Baxter,
born in Turlock, June 29, 1881, finished the courses of the Turlock grammar school
in 1896 and three years later the courses of the Modesto high school. He was gradu-
ated from the University of California in 1903 with the Bachelor of Laws degree,
and the same year entered the law department of Harvard University, where he was
a member of the A. T. O. fraternity. He gave promise of a brilliant career; but in
the spring of 1904 he was suddenly taken ill with pneumonia and he died, lamented
by many, on March 16. Etta Pearl, also deceased, was born at Turlock, October
4, 1883, and died February 4, 1901, in her eighteenth year.

SHRUDER YOUNG.— The romance of the Old South and of the Far West,
spanning the years from the Civil War down to the present, combine to fill the
pages of the life story of Shruder Young, now one of the extensive landowners in
Stanislaus County, a man of wealth and unflagging industry. For when Shruder
Young left his father's impoverished plantation in Tennessee and came to Stanislaus
County in 1883, he brought with him none of the treasures of wealth, but only youth,
energy, and the determination to work and to win, and today he is recognized as
one of the most substantial men in the county.



394 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Mr. Young was born on July 18, 1862, on his father's plantation near Gallatin,
Tenn., just across the line from Franklin, Ky. His father, Wright Young, a cotton
and tobacco planter, was wearing the Gray on the blood-soaked battlefields of the
South at the time of his birth, and the new son was two years old before his father
returned home. In the meantime the fortunes of war had so impoverished the fam-
ily, that the mother, a woman of remarkable force of character, was obliged to work
the plantation to support herself and her five children until her husband returned
from the service at the close of the war. She was Miss Narcissus Brackin before her
marriage, a descendant from a splendid old Southern family of Scotch-Irish descent
At an early date her parents had migrated to Tennessee, where she was born, leaving
the old family home in North Carolina.

At the age of twenty years, having just completed his high school course, Mr,
Young answered the call of the West and came to California, arriving in Modestc
March 3, 1883. With him were his brother, William, and a cousin. They were
entirely without money or resources, but work was plenty, and thev soon found em-
ployment. For a number of years, Mr. Young worked with a threshing crew, operat-
ing Harvester No. 5, which in the summer of 1886 handled the crops for Mr., C. C.
Baker, in Shiioh precinct, and it was while thus employed that he met Miss Lena
Leota, daughter of the late C. C. Baker, and destined to be his wife, their marriage
taking place the following year, 1887. Their marriage has been a very successful one,
and Mr. Young attributes a very large measure of success to his wife's cooperation.

Mr. Young soon became right-hand man to his father-in-law, and for many
years before Mr. Baker's death, took a large measure of responsibility for his ex-
tensive business affairs. He has made a careful study of agricultural methods and
conditions in Stanislaus County, and is one of the ablest managers as well as one of
the best informed land owners in the county. He has shown a marked ability for
marketing farm products and for the handling of large financial problems. His faith
in California in general and in Stanislaus County in particular, is a by-word among
his friends, and he has contributed largely to their development and upbuilding.

It was in 1903 that Mr. Young moved onto the old ranch of his father-in-law,
the late C. C. Baker, eight miles southwest of Modesto, on the Tuolumne River,
where he now resides. The original Baker ranch consisted of several thousands of
acres, and Mr. Young's property, which includes the old home built bv Mr. Baker,
contains 1,061 acres, 320 acres of which lie in Paradise precinct, and 741 acres lie in
Shiioh precinct, and on which are the residence, and a splendid system of barns and
modern farm buildings, in a very symmetrical arrangement. Of this latter tract, 200
acres are in alfalfa. Mr. Young formerly engaged extensively in dairying, and still
maintains a herd of eighty-five fancy high-grade Holstein cattle. He also has other
blooded stock and a fine line of thoroughbred fowls, being a fancier of prize winners.

Mr. and Mrs. Young are the parents of five children, three sons and two daugh-
ters: Chester, residing at Santa Ana, Cal., has an excellent record for service in the
navy and aviation service ; Leota is the wife of Otto McClure, of Santa Ana, and
the mother of two children : C. C. and Fleetwood, are ranchers, living at home and
associated with their father ; and Ruby, the wife of Lyle Willett of Modesto. C. C.
Young is an active member of the Stanislaus Farmers' Union.

Mr. Young takes an active interest in all matters of public import. He has been
president of the board of trustees of Shiioh school district for fourteen vears. He is
also a member of Wildey Lodge No. 149, I. O. O. F., of Modesto.

ELZA E. FREEMAN. — Owner of one of the most famous herds of registered
Holstein cattle in the state, holder of innumerable prizes taken by his record-holding
cows, a member of the National Association of Holstein Breeders and a breeder of
national importance, Elza E. Freeman may well feel proud of his achievement since
1910, when he entered upon his work along this line. He now owns a herd of forty
head of blooded stock, headed by a valuable herd sire, and including such famous
prize winners as Bellfaskie Hengerveld De Kol 2nd, grand champion of the Cali-
fornia State Fair in 1918; her daughter, Bellfaskie De Kol Witkop, bred and developed
by him, held the state record for yearly production of milk in 1919, and still holds



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 397

the record for milk produced in seven days, eight months after calving. In 1919 she
won the most prize money of any cow in America.

A native of Joplin, Mo., born September 28, 1882, Mr. Freeman is the son of
Zenas Freeman, a native of Illinois, and his wife, Sarah (Glasscock) Freeman, a
native of Missouri, and the third son born to them. They came to California in 1886,
locating at Fallbrook, San Diego County. Here they bought forty acres and engaged
in farming. After completing his education in the high school at Fallbrook, E. E.
Freeman started out for himself. He was then twenty and his first venture was
grain farming, wheat and barley being his chosen crop, and so successful was he that
soon he was operating 1.000 acres of leased land.

The marriage of Mr. Freeman and Miss Blanche French, of San Marcos, was
solemnized at that place, February 24, 1909. Mrs. Freeman is a native of Iowa,
and the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. D. French, likewise natives of Iowa. Her
father is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman have six children, of whom they may well
be proud: Edith A., Maude E., Irene F., Blanche O., Harold Rex and Myrtle Grace.

It was in 1910 that Mr. Freeman came to Modesto and purchased forty acres
in Hart precinct, where he has built up such a profitable, business. He is a leader in
the Stanislaus County Holstein Breeders Association, and in addition to his business
as a breeder of registered stock, Mr. Freeman conducts one of the profitable dairy
farms in the county. His cream returns an especially high average under tests, and
his entire farm is a model of its kind, being one of the showplaces of the county. In
1920, Vina Pietertje Hengerveld De Kol 2nd produced 29,009 pounds of milk and
1.150.8 pounds of butter, being the highest production of milk and butter in the
county at that time. For the number of cattle in the herd he has the highest num-
ber of yearly record cows of any herd of Holsteins in the state.

JAMES W. SCOTT. — A dairyman who has succeeded in establishing an enviable
reputation for his scientific methods and his thoroughly sanitary plant is James W.
Scott, who was born on September 9, 1850 — the very day and year when California
was admitted to the Union — in Terre Haute, Indiana, the fifth son of Capt. W. P.
Scott, who migrated to California and Diamond Springs, Eldorado County, in that
year with W. C. Ralston, and who became interested in the mines at Placerville, and
built the Eureka ditch south of the American River to carry the water to the mines.
W. P. Scott was born in Boston, attended as a boy a private academy there, and was
graduated from Harvard College in 1838. When twenty-two years of age he went
to Corpus Christi, Tex., and erected in that place the first two-story frame house that
was placed there by white people, and which was brought from Boston in sections on
a sailing vessel. He established a trading post, went through thick and thin to make
his contribution to the founding of a great state, and had more than one thrilling
experience and adventure. In those days the Mexican Government owned and held
on to the land, invited the whites to come and settle, but afforded them no adequate
protection for life and property; and W. P. Scott joined the Texas Rangers, and was
elected captain, filling that post with signal ability. Having settled at Placerville and
undertaken to furnish a water supply, Mr. Scott suffered severe reverses with the
decline of mining, the property he then owned becoming for the period useless; and
what he who had done so much to help organize and develop the commonwealth had
to bear was what so many pioneers had to endure, with little or no recognition from
posterity. He framed and had passed the No-Fence Law, inaugurating the grain era.

James W. Scott was reared in Eldorado County and there attended the public
schools; and about 1868 he came to Merced County with his father, who purchased
extensive lands there. At the end of three years, however, he sold off his holdings
and removed to San Francisco; and about 1883, our subject went to Oregon and
there engaged in the raising of stock. He was married to Miss Emma J. Hammers-
ley, a daughter of A. Z. Hammersley, a prominent stockman who had extensive hold-
ings in Oregon from pre-emigrant days; and one child blessed the union — Harold R.
Scott, who was born in Oregon. This son is now ranching in Stanislaus County on
forty acres of land near that of his parents. He married Miss Vannie Daffron, who
came to California from Kentucky.



398 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

In 1905, Mr. Scott came down from Oregon to Turlock and purchased eighty-
five acres, six miles from Turlock and formerly a part of the Maze & Wren Tract;
and there, with seventy-five head of fancy pure-bred cows, he maintains a Jersey
dairy. He was instrumental in establishing the Keyes Creamery Association which
flourished for a number of years until the farmers took up the Cooperative Associa-
tion and discontinued the local creamery, and he has always shown a commendable
public spiritedness. As a Progressive Republican, Mr. Scott has been a member of the
Stanislaus County Central Committee; and he has also served on the grand jury.

EUGENE McCABE. — An exponent of scientific modern methods in farming
and of a carefully developed system for bringing land to its highest state of pro-
ductivity, Eugene McCabe, successful rancher of Stanislaus County, has demonstrated
the value of his ideas through their practical application in the management of his
own property. Mr. McCabe owns a place of thirty acres near Modesto and formerly
had 248 acres nine miles west of Modesto, on Paradise Road. The home place is one
of the most attractive in the vicinity, fifteen acres being devoted to* alfalfa and fifteen
to double cropping, with forty head of high-grade cows and calves.

Mr. McCabe is a native of California, born at Marysville, September 25, 1859,
and descended from well-known pioneer families. His father, Owen McCabe, pioneer
of the Golden State, was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1807, and came to the
United States when a young man. He remained for a while in New York, and in 1853
began the long overland journey to California with an ox team. He had hoped to
find his fortune in the mines, and after landing at Marysville, then the head of navi-
gation and the center of supply distribution to the mines of the north, he mined for a
time, but without attaining the results that he had hoped for. He was a brfckrnason
by trade and he followed that for a livelihood until he was appointed a deputy sheriff
of Yuba County. He was fearless in the discharge of his duties and served to the
satisfaction of every one. He married Mary Fitzpatrick, also a native of Ireland, who
came to California with her two brothers during the early '50s. Two of their children
are now living, Eugene McCabe and Mrs. Ella Ervin, both residing in Stanislaus
County. Mrs. McCabe passed away in 1865, and in 1866 Mr. McCabe came to
Stanislaus County and homesteaded 160 acres, which he farmed for many years. When
he retired, he made his home with his son Eugene, and died on December 9, 1906,
aged ninety-nine years, then the oldest man in the county and active to the last.

The vicissitudes of early pioneer days were an every-day event to young Eugene
McCabe, his first disaster being the washing away of his parents' home by a flood,
when he was a babe in arms, and his rescue from a perilous position in the flood waters
of the Sacramento River, in a row boat. His education was obtained in the Junction
school of Stanislaus County, and at an early age he entered upon an active career, his
first enterprise being dry farming on 900 acres of land, where he raised barley. In
this he was very successful and for seven years remained on the Fanney tract property,
in partnership with his brother-in-law, W. S. Ervin. He moved to his present place
in December, 1919, and the care and attention he has given it are clearly made manifest.

In Modesto, in 1888, Mr. McCabe was married to Miss Teresa Patrone, who
was born on Duggan Street, in San Francisco, March 2, 1868, the daughter of Joseph
and Rose (Brackley) Patrone, who came to California in the early '50s and are both
now deceased. Mr. Patrone was a farmer and dairyman in Stanislaus County and
'veil known in this section for many years before his death. Mrs. McCabe received
her education in the schools of the county, and, with her husband, has many friends in
this locality. Mr. and Mrs. McCabe are the parents of seven children: Lena J.,
wife of Edwin A. Hughes, chief clerk with the San Joaquin Light & Power Company
at Madera for several years ; James W. is employed by the Modesto Milk Company and
served in the World War, being stationed at both Camp Lewis and Camp Kearney;
lie married Eva Corson ; Maybelle T. married Arden Foust, a machinist, and they have
two children — Arden, Jr., and Arlyne June; Eugene L. is an expert machinist and
employed in the county; he is an ex-service man, having been stationed at Gulfport,




OWEN McCABE



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 401

Miss., and is still a member of the Reserves ; Alvin J. is an employee of the Ford Motor
Company in San Francisco; Rose E. and Elmer J. are at home with their parents.
While deeply interested in all public matters, Mr. McCabe has had no desire for
official preferment, but has steadily declined all efforts to induce him to run for various
public offices. Blessed with a happy home, he gives to his wife much of the credit for
his success, as she has always stood shoulder to shoulder with him in all his enterprises.

FRANK CARPENTER CHAPMAN.— The fruit industry of California and
that of Stanislaus County in particular, owes a debt of grateful appreciation to Frank
C. Chapman, now of Modesto. He is the son of a California pioneer of '49, himself
a native son, veteran orchardist, fruit grower, dryer and shipper and one of the best
informed men on problems of shipping and marketing fruit and similar questions, of
any one on the Pacific Coast. Together with his brother, George L. Chaiman, he
successfully invented the process of extracting the kernel from apricot pits by a salt
water solution process, which has. been so successfully adopted bv many companies in
the state since 1895. The fast-growing sale of Kermal Oil makes the enterprise an
industry which is exceeding the expectations of its most sanguine promoters.

Mr. Chapman has also perfected a dehydrating system known as the Chapman
Common Sense Dehydrator, and is the only system which has proven to be a success
both from practical, economic and scientific standpoints. Evaporators have been built
and experimented with for over fifty years, but it remained for this practical orchardist
to discover the system to meet the needs of the fruit grower. There are two plants
in Santa Rosa and two in Modesto, all of which handle as high as fifty tons, each,
of green fruit every twenty-four hours running time. By this method the green fruit
is changed to the finished dried product in from six to twelve hours, a work which
when dried in the open air by aid of the sun generally takes two weeks.

The life story of Frank C. Chapman is linked at everv step with the develop-
ment of California. He was born at Petaluma, Sonoma County, March 4, 1864,
the youngest of four children born to Lafayette and Fannie (Carpenter) Chapman,
the former a native of New Hampshire, whose paternal ancestors were natives of
Scotland who settled in the American colonies before the Revolutionary War. The
mother was born in Australia and came to California when she was sixteen years
of age. Of the four children, two were girls and both are now deceased. The eld°r
Chapman came to California in 1849, making the trip from Boston around the Horn
in a sailing vessel. After landing in San Francisco he went to the mines and for a
time was engaged in mining and prospecting but later turned his attention to agri-
culture, settling on a ranch near Santa Rosa, where he owned 3,000 acres known as
the Mark West Creek Stock Ranch.

It was on the Sonoma County ranch that Frank C. Chapman passed his boy-
hood days, doing such work about the ranch as he could and attending the schools of
Santa Rosa until he was thirteen years old, at which time was apprenticed to learn
the trade of harness maker, serving three years and becoming expert in that line.
When he was twenty he went to Vacaville, Solano County, and engaged in business
as a saddler, carriage and harness maker, continuing there for eight years with grow-
ing success. But the great and growing fruit industry of the state was to claim Mr.
Chapman and in 1892 he went to Pomona, Los Angeles County, where he was one
of the pioneers in the drying-and shipping of fruits. For thirteen years he was in that
same business in Los Angeles, blazing the way in many new lines of endeavor as the
business of drying steadily increased until it reached 2,000 tons per season, a great
volume of business for the primitive methods of that period.

In 1901 Mr. Chapman came to Stanislaus County, where he has since made his
home. He purchased a ranch of 160 acres, six and one-half miles southwest of
Modesto and was the first man in this county to set out Thompson Seedless grapes.
His entire acreage is planted to grapes of various varieties and he has given the ap-
propriate name of the Morning Star Vineyard to his property. He is now engaged
in growing, drying and shipping fruit, having for his partner his son, George C.
Chapman. Mr. Chapman thoroughly understands every branch of the fnvt industry



402 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

from the nursery to the table and his vineyards and orchards are the best in the
county and his nursery stock is much sought after by discriminating vineyardists.

The marriage of Frank C. Chapman occurred in Vacaville, March 4, 1891,
when he was united with Miss Clara Elizabeth Cargill, a native of Michigan. Her
parents were Pardon and Delphina (Wilds) Cargill. The former came to California



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 52 of 177)