Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 53 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 53 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


across the plains on horseback in 1852, mined for a time and returned to his eastern
home via Panama, studied medicine and later returned to California with his family
on one of the first trains that crossed the continent. Dr. Cargill was a man of un-
usually fine physique and easily took his place among the pioneer physicians of the
coast. He first located in Monterey County, then moved to Vacaville in 1880, where
his two daughters were reared and educated. Mrs. Chapman was two years old when
she was brought to this state and her sister, Ora B., was born in Monterey County.
Mr. and Mrs. Chapman became the parents of three children: a son, George C, his
father's partner, and he rendered splendid service during the World War. He was a
student at the College of the Pacific at San Jose when war was declared, just com-
pleting his first year, and he enlisted at once in the U. S. Navy, trained at Pelham
Bay and became an ensign on the U. S. Destroyer Orizaba. After the armistice he
was honorably discharged but is still an ensign in the Naval Reserves. He is a mem-
ber of the Elks, the Progressive Club and the American Legion. One daughter,
Helen, is Mrs. John W. McCabe ; and Esther is a stenographer in Modesto.

Mr. Chapman is of the true type of California pioneer and has the most un-
bounded enthusiasm for the state and county in which he resides. He has always had
unlimited faith in the fruit industry and has backed his judgment with his capital,
with the result that he has made exceedingly large profits. He is a member of the
Modesto Board of Trade, and for several winters represented this county at the Los
Angeles Chamber of Commerce, during the time he spent at his winter residence
in the Southern city. Fraternally he is a member of Modesto Lodge No. 1282, B. P.
O. Elks, and is very popular among a wide circle of friends, who respect his judg-
ment, wisdom and wide fund of knowledge.

LUKE A. CHURCH. — Occupying an honored position among the many worthy
citizens of Stanislaus County was the late Luke A. Church, a man of integrity, in-
dustry and sterling worth. He was a native of Ohio, born at Tiffin, on December
28, 1831, and when he was a young man of twenty years, in 1851, he left home
and friends and started on the long and eventful trip to California. Leaving New
York on the S. S. Illinois, with some companions, he came to Chagres and crossed the
Isthmus on foot and embarked on a vessel of the Panama line for San Francisco,
where he took a ship to Sacramento. He came down to Stockton and from there
went into the mines of Mariposa and Tuolumne counties where he began seeking for
the shining metal. He prospected, mined and drove stage for a time.

On April 3, 1863, Mr. Church was united in marriage with Elizabeth Davis,
born in Minersville, Pa., and a daughter of David and Margaret (Williams) Davis,
both natives of Wales. Great-grandfather David Davis was one of the first men to
discover anthracite coal in Schuylkill County, Pa. After their marriage Mr. and
Mrs. Church went to Don Pedro Bar in Tuolumne County where they conducted
a hotel for a time and where four children were born: Almina J., widow of James
Ross; Mary J., wife of S. Spyres ; Sarah A., wife of D. F. Mullin, all residents of
Stanislaus County. The second child, Nora A., died at the age of thirteen years.
In 1868, Mr. Church moved his family to Paradise, hauling the lumber from his
hotel at Don Pedro Bar and building his house of it. While he was living at Para-
dise Mr. Church ran a stage from Stockton to Paradise and continued that occupa-
tion until the railroad was built to Modesto.

In 1870, with the trend of events, Mr. Church moved his house from Paradise
to the new town site of Modesto and located it on property he had bought at the
corner of what is now Burney and Lane streets, where it still is situated and occu-
pied by their youngest daughter, Margaret E., wife of W. V. Voice. She was born
in Modesto on June 3, 1872, and is one of the first female children to be born in the
town of Modesto. There was a son born in' their Modesto home on March 20.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 405

1871, and named George Frank, and probably he was the first American child born
there. He died October 23, 1872, one of the first buried in the cemetery.

The house that Mr. Church moved from Paradise and located in Modesto was
the third house to be brought into the place and after locating here he took up the
trade of carpenter and followed that the remainder of his active life. Associated
with him in the building business were Moses Adams and Benjamin Hutchings, both
still living and well past eighty years of age. Mr. Church was bereaved of his wife,
who died on March 1, 1883, when in her forty-first year. He never remarried but
kept his little family together with the aid of the older girls. He was a well-read
man, made and retained friends, was a conscientious worker and always did his part
so far as he was able, to promote the best interests of his home locality and was an
ardent Republican. His death, February 6, 1901, removed from the community a
man loved and revered by all who knew him.

STEPHEN VIVIAN. — A prosperous farmer who eventually subdivided his land
so that, although he has retained a comfortable home place, a dozen other farmers,
also prosperous, now operate individual ranches where he once carried on agriculture
on an extensive scale, is Stephen Vivian, the son of John and Mary A. (Harris)
Vivian, the well-known pioneers of Sonora, Tuolumne County.

Mr. Vivian was born on March 17, 1866, on the old Vivian ranch of his parents
about twelve miles southwest of Modesto, and he attended school in the old Adams-
ville district. As a lad, however, he also had to work hard, helping early and late
to herd the sheep and cattle on his father's vast ranch ; and owing to this early ap-
prenticeship, he came to know and" to love both horses and stock. In 1899 he pur-
chased 560 acres of the Tom Harp ranch and he also became freeholder of his father's
estate, having farmed for his father for thirty years. In 1880 John Vivian passed
away; but his devoted and honored widow survived until 1916. Following, there-
fore, in the footsteps of his father, Stephen Vivian has been identified with stock rais-
ing in Stanislaus County since his boyhood ; he also long farmed to grain, harvesting
never less than fifteen sacks of barley per acre, and planting as many as 500 acres yearly.

At Modesto in 1896 Mr. Vivian was married to Miss Rosa Wallis, a daughter
of W. K. Wallis and a gifted lady who has worked loyally to bring about Mr.
Vivian's success. Six children have blessed their union: Rosetta M. is a stenog-
rapher at the Modesto Garage ; Serena attends the high school at Modesto ; while the
younger members of the family are John H., Kate H., Martha and Stephen E.
These promising children ought to reward Mr. Vivian's services of twenty years as a
trustee of the Jones school district. In national politics, Mr. Vivian is a Republican ;
but he endeavors to keep himself above all partisanship in his attitude toward local
movements and candidates. For two terms he was deputy assessor.

When Mr. Vivian subdivided his land and at a reasonable profit shared with
others what he had for years toiled to produce, he retained for himself and family
some forty acres, where some years ago he erected a very substantial and beautiful
residence. He enjoys his home, but he also enjoys the great outdoors; and as a good
marksman of the Modesto Gun Club, he makes a sortie each season after game. The
season just passed he was especially fortunate, and had the honor of bringing home
a buck of 300 pounds, with antlers spreading wider than any ever known, from the
preserved records, to have been brought into Stanislaus County.

PROFESSOR HERMAN HINTZE.— Fortunate in being able to enter his
chosen vocation, Prof. Herman Hintze concentrated his efforts in the musical field,
and as he entered heart and soul into his work, his success was an assured fact. His
love for music of a high order left its imprint on the residents of Modesto and
vicinity, and by his artistic and scientific instruction has led many to appreciate the
most classical compositions.

A German by birth, he was born in Duisburg, Germany, a town of Rhenish
Prussia, a son of Dr. Hintze, also prominent in his native province. Professor Hintze
began his education in the public school of Duisburg, later graduating from the gym-
nazium. From his earliest recollections, he excelled in the study of music, and after



406 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

his graduation, he went to Cologne to study under Professor Frederick Heller, where
he made rapid progress in his chosen profession. When he arrived at the age of
twenty-one, he emigrated to America, locating in San Francisco, immediately enter-
ing upon the profession of teaching all branches of piano, in harmony, counterpoint and
composition, and was, for many years, director of the orchestra in the San Francisco
Theater, also serving later in the same capacity at the Columbia and the California
Theaters. During the year of 1874 he removed to Modesto, when that now thriving
city was but a small village, and established the first music house in the San Joaquin
Valley. This store was known in later years as the Hintze Pioneer Music Store
He also established a music store in Stockton, and owned and operated them both foi
a number of years. After disposing of his two stores, he became manager for the
Wiley B. Allen piano house in Modesto, meanwhile instructing a large class of
students in piano, and was an acknowledged leader in musical circles, enjoying a host
of friends, who remember him with feelings of delight and pleasure, intermingled
with regrets at his death.

The marriage of Professor Hintze united him with Miss Marie Brooks, a native
of San Francisco and where she was educated, being a graduate of the San Francisco
Normal school, and was following the profession of teaching when her marriage
occurred. She was amply able to assist her husband in all musical and social affairs
and their home on the McHenry Road, consisting of ten acres of finely improved
orchard, was the scene of many brilliant social events. Professor and Mrs. Hintze
were the parents of two children : Viola, now the wife of C. J. Cressey, residing on the
old home place, and Karl, a graduate of Annapolis, now serving in the U. S. Navy.
Mrs. Hintze passed away August 10, 1907. Fraternally, Professor Hintze was an
Elk and an Odd Fellow. He was a kindly, genial man, a staunch believer in the
underlying good of humanity, and the sincerity and loyalty of his friends and associates.

JOSEPH N. LONG. — A Californian of remarkable character and a fortune
in his many friendships with representative Central Californians, Joseph N. Long is
especially esteemed in Turlock and its environs, where he is best known as Joe Long.
He was born on December 29, 1854, in Iowa, and when a lad of seventeen left home
to see his native land, and finally rounded up at San Antonio, Texas. In 1870 he
took a job with a company of cattlemen, owners of 4,000 head of stock; and in two
separate bands these cattle were driven overland by way of Texas, Arkansas, and
Kansas. At Leavenworth, in the latter state, forty miles north of the Arkansas River,
they stopped to winter; and having resumed their journey in the spring, the herders
and the herds reached Carson, Nev., where the stock was left, at the end of a trip
of eighteen months from Texas. This experience was full of hardships; but the lad
was game for all the wild adventure.

Next year, 1872, safely landed in California, Joe Long was working for wages
as a foreman on a sheep ranch in Stanislaus County, spending the summer in the foot-
hills of the high Sierras, and in the winter roaming the plains of the great San Joaquin
Valley, and in that kind of occupation he continued until 1879.

He had taken close cognizance of the fertility of the soil, especially on the rolling
plains of the Montpellier country, and for a period of twenty-five years following, he
farmed for himself from 1,000 to 3,000 acres of the land then owned by Dr. Dickin-
son. The chief crop was wheat; and to show that he understood the natural conditions
and profited from them, it need only be stated that his crops averaged better than ten
sacks of winter-sown grain to the acre. L ater he became the owner of an extensive
grain farm, south of Montpellier, which he sold in 1912, enabling him to retire from
hard ranch toil.

In 1906 Mr. Long had purchased a tract of eighty acres of land about three miles
from Turlock, which was set out to a vineyard ; and three years later he added forty
acres to this fine ranch, and as the market price for wine grapes at that time was very
low, with no hope for betterment, he rooted up the vineyard, except the forty acres,
which, with the prices several times increased, are now bringing in a handsome for-
tune. The balance of the ranch Mr. Long leases out to tenants, who produce bumper



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 409

crops of melons — some weighing eighty-five to ninety pounds — as well as sweet pota-
toes and alfalfa. Mr. Long is a stockholder in the T. M. & G., Inc., at Turlock.

At La Grange, in 1883, Mr. Long was married to Miss Caroline Olson, who was
born in Sweden, but who came to Stanislaus County with her pioneer parents who
settled at La Grange and have been long deceased. Two children were born to this
fortunate union: Edith is the wife of Ervin Holt, the editor of the Merced Sun; and
Lucile has become Mrs. James Monocchia, and resides at San Francisco. Both
daughters, graduates of the State University, are very accomplished. The eldest was
active in her profession as a teacher in the Turlock high school five years prior to the
war, and she also served as a Red Cross nurse for a year overseas. The youngest
daughter is now a special tutor at the Presidio, San Francisco, and her husband is
general manager of the Pacific Long Distance Telephone & Telegraph Company at
the Bay City.

In 1912 a terrible automobile accident occurred which resulted in the almost
instantaneous death of Mrs. Long, and which has naturally thrown a deep shadow
over the life of the family circle. Mrs. Long was accompanying her husband on a
run from Turlock to San Francisco, and when on the Altamont grade the mishap
occurred which called for her sacrifice, and from which Mr. Long escaped with not a
scratch.

HARRY A. BATES.— No better illustration could be afforded of what the
society of today and the posterity of tomorrow owe to those who have gone before,
opening new paths, paving the way, and making it easier and safer for all who follow,
than in the life and accomplishments of the late Harry A. Bates, a man of sterling
worth and pleasing personality, who was born at Don Pedro Bar, in Tuolumne
County, Cal., in 1863. He was reared on a farm in the vicinity of La Grange, and
there attended the public schools, after which he joined a surveying corps and for a
while carried the rod and chain in the survey of landed areas. He then entered the
employ of Hammond & Bates, and for some years followed general merchandising at
La Grange, where he came to Modesto, where for fourteen years he had charge of the
Haslacher & Kahn warehouse, as its manager. Next he was engaged in Modesto as
a realtor, and proved very successful in buying and selling land, and during this period
he was also engaged as a grain buyer. His rare judgment and wide knowledge of
land values enabled him to make important deals for himself and to serve the many
who came to him for advice ; and the enterprise brought him added prosperity. He
was interested, besides, in local investments, among them the Tidewater Railroad.

He had moved into Modesto in 1893, and soon afterward he selected the corner
of McHenry and Downey avenues, and there erected a large, beautiful home, where
Mrs. Bates still lives. He had been married at La Grange, in 1893, to Miss Ora R.
Randall, who was born across the river from La Grange, in Tuolumne County. After
completing the courses of the Modesto schools, she taught school for about three years,
but having a Dredilection for the study of medicine, she entered Toland Medical Col-
lege in San Francisco, where she from the beginning did good work. She did not
complete the full course, however, giving up her studies at the time of her marriage
to Mr. Bates. The union proved very happy, and two children were born to them.
C. E. G. Bates, the right-hand assistant of his mother, and a daughter, Florence L.
Mr. Bates was a prominent Odd Fellow, and was popular, socially and politically;
and when he passed away, at his residence on September 9, 1909, he was deeply
mourned by a wide circle of admiring friends. He had lived a useful, influential
life, successful for others as well as for himself; and among the most precious fruits
of his long years of unselfish endeavor may be noted the affectionate gratitude of
the many he directly and indirectly helped.

Since his death, Mrs. Bates continues to look after the large affairs entrusted her
bv her far-seeing husband, property interests of much original value which she is
further developing. Meanwhile, a woman of culture, and exceptional personality,
she has become prominent in civic and social circles, so that without doubt her influ-



410 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

ence for good, like that of her esteemed husband, is far-reaching. She is a member of
the Golden State Rebekah Lodge, of which she is a past noble grand, and also a dis-
trict deputy, and she is an ex-president of the Modesto Woman's Improvement Club.
She is also a past president of the San Joaquin Valley Federation of Women's Clubs,
and was a member of the State Federation when Mrs. Orr was president. As a pre-
siding officer, she was experienced, tactful and popular. In politics as well as in civics,
she is nonpartisan, endorsing the principle of the person rather than the party.

JAMES WARNER— JAMES F. WARNER.— Associated with the early days
of Stanislaus Count)', Warner's ranch was well known throughout this part of Cali-
fornia through the extensive operations of its owner, James Warner, one of the county's
most prominent ranchers. Born in England, he came to the United States when a boy,
settling at first in Wisconsin, from which place he came to California in 1852, by way
of the Isthmus of Panama. He mined for a time and then settled above Waterford,
where he engaged in stock raising and grain farming on a large scale, operating 15.000
acres in partnership with his brother, Joseph Warner, operating during the lifetime of
both men under the name of Warner Bros. In those days, the country was sparsely
settled and the Warner ranch was the center of much of the community life of those
early times. Identified with all the pioneer development, James Warner was a promi-
nent figure and was elected by his fellow-citizens to be a supervisor for Stanislaus
County in the eighties. He was a Republican and was affiliated with the Masons and
Odd Fellows. Mrs. Warner passed away at Oakland in 1892, at the age of forty-nine,
Mr. Warner surviving her until May, 1910, dying in Oakland, age seventy-four.

Mr. and Mrs. James Warner were the parents of nine children: Edith is Mrs.
L. C. Collins of Ceres; Joseph W., of Oakland, is married and has two children;
J. E. Warner is the father of four children, he is a merchant at Marshfield, Ore., as
is his brother, Guy Warner, who has one child ; Myron lives at Planada, is married
and has two children; Roy lives with James F., of this sketch, on the latter's ranch;
Elmo, formerly a deputy U. S. marshal under Elliott at San Francisco, is married and
lives in Stanislaus County; Irma met accidental death at Oakland in November, 1919.

Born on the Warner ranch, ten miles above Waterford, on December 23, 1876,
James F. Warner was reared on the old home ranch, attending the local school and
later the high school at Oakland, where his parents had removed. When he was
twenty-two, he struck out for himself and farmed in the hills above Waterford for
about ten years, coming in 1914 to the Warner ranch of 200 acres in the Orr precinct,
which had been acquired in the eighties by James and Joseph Warner. Here he became
one of the firm of the Warner Company, the ranch being devoted to the raising of
stock and grain farming. Having early acquired an all-around, practical knowledge
of agricultural problems, and following modern ideas, he has met with success.

A worthv representative of his pioneer forebears, Mr. Warner takes an active
interest in all that concerns the welfare of his community and is a staunch Republican.

REVEREND FRED A. KEAST.— A naturally-gifted, finely-educated repre-
sentative of the self-sacrificing Christian ministry, is the Rev. Fred A. Keast, pastor of
the Methodist Episcopal Church of Turlock, a gentleman who, having only the best
interests of his people at heart, is always planning, always doing something for those
committed to his care. He was born at St. Agnes,. Cornwall, England, on August 17,
1869, a section of the English coast often spoken of as the Cornish Riviera, and so
commenced life amid a most beautiful environment. His father, Sampson Keast, was
also born there, of an old South of England family, and as Captain Keast, he was
widely and well-known as a superintendent of mines, and he died where he had so
long and so faithfully labored. Grandfather John Keast was a minister in the
Brianite Methodist Church. Captain Keast married Miss Augusta Elizabeth Phillips,
a daughter of Scotch parents ; her father and brothers were in the Government service
for many years. In Sampson Keast's family there were thirteen children, and eight
of them grew to maturity. Our subject was next to the youngest in the order of birth,
and he is the onlv one now in the United States.




JAMES WARNER



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 411

He was brought up and educated in the common and secondary schools of St.
Agnes, a region visited several times by John Wesley and which has an atmosphere
of religious life and tradition such as might inspire anyone to the highest and noblest
things; and from this a community of some 2,000 souls have gone forth, some very
notable Christian men, and over fifty inspired preachers who are today filling pulpits
in various parts of the world, so it is not surprising that Mr. Keast should have early
turned to theological study. He was trained under able Wesleyan Methodist teachers,
and in time became himself a licensed preacher. As a lad, he had worked as a miner;
and commencing from the lowest rungs of the ladder, he worked up even to a post in
the surveying corps, so that while he was studying, he was also supporting himself.

Starting out in the world, Mr. Keast went to South Africa as a promoter of
mines, representing the Leopards Vlea Estate Gold Mining Company of London;
and he opened for them gold mines in the Transvaal, but after two years of successful
operation, he resigned and returned to England on account of the illness of his mother ;
and after her death he came out to America, and reached New York on May 24,
1890, not yet having attained his twenty-first year of age. He proceeded to California,
and went to Grass Valley, where he followed mining for a year. Then he heeded the
call to. the ministry that had come to him years before, and entered the ministry of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he joined the California Conference and became
a pastor on the Ophir circuit, Forbestown circuit, then Hart and Keswick and next
Biggs. During this time he took a five years' course under divines in the conference,
and was ordained a deacon in September, 1894, and two years later ordained an elder.

For four years he was pastor of the Epworth Church in San Francisco, and while
there he started a mission on Mission Street, and organized the congregation and
church of that name, purchasing the site of the present Mission Church in San Fran-
cisco. His next appointment was to Santa Clara, where he was pastor of the First
M. E. Church at the time of the earthquake, when their church was destroyed. The
pastor and congregation worked tremendously hard and built anew ; but the severe
strain told on him to such an extent that his health was impaired. The way opened,
and he and his good wife were able to make a trip back to the Old World.

In Grass Valley, Mr. Keast had married Miss Mary Elizabeth Nettle, a native
of Grass Valley, but of English parents, her father being Charles Nettle, a pioneer
mining man who had come to California in 1851. Mrs. Nettle took Mary as a girl



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 53 of 177)