Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 71 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 71 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


also city water inspector, and held that position for many years. After that, for another
eight years, he was manager of the Modesto Gas Works.

While holding that position, he bought the city billboards, at that time only a few
old wooden billboards with the service of a handcart, worth in all about $200, and he
greatly enlarged the plant and built up the business. He was a member of the Pacific
Coast Advertising Association, and in that live organization made his influence felt.

After establishing the business, however, on a very successful footing, Mr. Bortle
was taken away on April 21, 1919. He was a charter member of the B. P. O. E.,
and of the Knights of Pythias, having been a member of the latter for thirty vears,
and was also a member of the Modern Woodmen. A Republican whose advice and
aid was often sought by the party leaders, he was a prominent man in many ways
in business circles.

On October 10, 1897, Mr. Bortle was married at Oakdale to Miss Cora
VVaterhouse, who was born at Oakdale, the daughter of Edwin Sawyer Waterhouse,
a native of Cooper, Me. As a young man he had come around Cape Horn in a
sailing vessel to San Francisco, in 1849; he was a wheelwright by trade and settled in



596 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Oakdale, where he had the first blacksmith shop and wagon and carriage works.
Later he sold out and became a deputy under Richard B. Purvis, the sheriff, and moved
to Modesto, and in that official capacity he continued for eighteen years. Then he
went back to his trade and ran a blacksmith and wagon shop in Modesto until he died,
in 1911, aged seventy-four years. Mrs. Waterhouse was Mary E. Gruwell before
her marriage; she was born in San Jose, and now resides there. Her grandfather,
the Rev. Jacob Gruwell, was a pioneer minister in the Methodist Church South.
Edwin Sawyer Waterhouse was both a Mason and an Odd Fellow. He was the father
of six daughters, five of whom are living. Among these, Mrs. Bortle was the second
eldest. She was reared in Oakdale and Modesto, and was an attendant at the Modesto
schools. Mr. and Mrs. Bortle had one child, Charles William, who was accidentally
drowned in 1910, when he was twelve years old. Since her husband's death, Mrs.
Bortle has continued to manage the business after the plans of her husband, and she
is meeting with great success. She is a member of the Presbyterian church, and also
active in the Modesto Improvement Club, and an enthusiastic supporter of everything
likely to develop Modesto rapidly along the lines of her assured destiny.

REV. JONAS O. BODEN.— One of the early Swedish settlers of Turlock, who
has had an influence for good, serving as a minister of the Gospel, as well as improv-
ing the soil of this county by intensive farming, is Rev. Jonas O. Boden, who was born
in Gerfso, Helsingland, Sweden, April 23, 1856. His parents were Oluf and Ella
(Johnson) Boden, also natives of that place. The father died in 1859 at the age of
thirty-four, leaving a widow and four sons, whom the mother carefully reared in the
Christian faith and educated to the best of her ability, and she had the satisfaction of
seeing them grow to be splendid, stalwart young men, when she passed away at the
age of fifty-two years. Three of the sons are farmers in Sweden, while J. O. is the
only one in America.

His boyhood and early manhood were spent on the home farm, assisting his
mother, receiving a good education in the local schools. Early in life he felt the
call to preach and began studying for the ministry; between the ages of eighteen and
twenty-one, he studied with the local Lutheran minister, Rev. Valin, but found by
study and research that he could not subscribe to the creed of that denomination.
Finding the Swedish Mission Church was of his belief, he entered the Missionary Col-
lege at Christianshavn, his intention being to enter the foreign mission field in the
Congo country. He began preaching in 1879, continuing during his college course,
being graduated in 1882, and was then ordained a minister in the Swedish Mission
Church. He accepted a call in the home missionary work and traveled to the differ-
ent churches, in 1889 receiving a call from the Swedish Mission Church in America.

Soon after his ordination, Rev. Boden was married at Gerfso, Helsingland, to
Miss Margaret Person, also a native of that place, and the next year they came to
Dagus Mines, Elk County, Pa., where he was pastor of the Swedish Mission Church
for four years, also traveling over the state in connection with missionary work. He
then went to Anita, Pa., where he occupied the pastorate and built a church. Two
years later he was called to Youngstown, Ohio, where he was pastor for the next eight
years. Having read of Turlock and its possibilities, and knowing Rev. Hallner, he came
to Turlock on a trip of investigation in February, 1903, and after going carefully over
the country he selected and purchased 950 acres on the Merced-Stanislaus county line
for himself and members of his congregation at Youngstown, Ohio. He secured sam-
ples of the soil in different parts of the purchase for a depth of four feet; this was sent
to the University of California and analyzed and the analysis was published by the
Mission Friend of Chicago and undoubtedly was the means of interesting many people
in coming to Turlock. He secured 320 acres more and all the land was taken by mem-
bers of his congregation. He made a plat of the land he had purchased, having a sur-
veyor make the subdivisions, and each of the forty-five members selected his land so
as to be neighbors, the same as they were in Youngstown, Ohio. All forty-five families
located on the land and made improvements and called it Youngstown colony.

Rev. Boden has fifty-three and a half acres in the northwestern part of the tract,
where he built a residence and made improvements, twenty acres in peaches and ten





IgfioM*^



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 599

acres in alfalfa. The first year, grasshoppers destroyed 250 of the young trees, which
he replanted. Rabbits were also numerous and destroyed many of his trees, but he
fenced the place with chicken netting ; after the place was enclosed, a boy killed eighty-
two rabbits the first day, and sixty-two the second day. There was a Swedish Mission
Church at Turlock, and Rev. Boden preached there for the first year on alternate
Sundays. Needing a school in the colony, they organized the Johnson school district
and built a two-room schoolhouse, using one of the rooms for a church and Sunday
school. On the organization of Bethel congregation in the Youngstown colony, Rev.
Boden became the pastor. In 1906 a church was built in the center of the colony
lands, and he has been pastor ever since, many of his congregation having been mem-
bers of his church in Youngstown, Ohio, as early as 1895.

While studying for the ministry, Rev. Boden also learned several trades — black-
smithing, carpentering, cabinetmaking and painting, so he has built many residences
in the colony and also Bethel Church. He built the church at Arboga, Sacramento
County, and preached there during the five months he was engaged in its erection;
he also built three houses there and rebuilt the church at Patterson. His eldest son,
Oluf, died here at the age of twenty-five, and fifteen months later his next son,
Emanuel, met with an accident that resulted in his death when he was twenty-four,
so Rev. Boden sold his ranch and moved to Turlock, where he built a fine residence
at 975 South Lander Street on a place of two and a half acres, and there he resided
until 1921, when he sold it and purchased a small place on Lander Street and Hilmar
Road, where he built another residence. Here he resides with his family and con-
tinues as pastor of the Bethel congregation.

Besides the two sons now deceased, Rev. and Mrs. Boden had two daughters,
Elizabeth and Esther; the latter died of influenza at Oakland in 1919, aged twenty-
six years. In Ohio Rov. Boden was chairman of the Ministers' Association of the
Swedish Mission Church for seven years, and was secretary of the home missions for
eight years, and has served as treasurer of the California Home Mission Society. A
believer in protection, he is a strong Republican in national politics.

PATRICK C. KYNE.— A well-known figure in Stanislaus County, as indeed he
is through the San Joaquin Valley and the entire state, Patterson is glad to claim
Patrick C. Kyne for one of her recent residents. He now owns a splendid eighteen-
acre ranch just south of the city limits, where he is engaged in raising alfalfa, and
generally enjoys life. He is improving his property with the intention of making it his
permanent home, and has built a delightful bungalow and an attractive group of farm
buildings, and is adding constantly to his improvements.

Mr. Kyne is the cousin of Peter B. Kyne, famous author, writer of many de-
lightful tales for Saturday Evening Post and other favorite periodicals, and an officer
of the famous California Regiment, the One Hundred and Sixteenth Infantry, which
saw distinguished service during the World War. Our subject has also traveled
extensively, especially throughout the Pacific Coast states, and has many interesting
reminiscences of early days in wild and rugged places, where he played a man's part
in the transformation of the country from a wilderness to its present state of civiliza-
tion. He came to America from his native village in the Emerald Isle when he
was sixteen years of age, and for several years resided with an uncle, Cornelius
Davis, a merchant in Milwaukee, Wis., where young Patrick completed his educa-
tion. In 1878 he left his uncle's home and came to California, locating in San Fran-
cisco, where for three years he worked for D. O. Mills & Company, on King and
Second streets. Following this he was with the Hayward Talent Company, on
Main and Folsom streets, running a hydraulic press. San Francisco was then little
more than a village, and full of the romance and color of the pioneer days, and Mr.
Kyne remembers many vitally interesting things about the men of that day.

Oregon was then a vast unexplored wilderness, and Mr. Kyne went to Harney
County, that state, and for ten years was engaged in the horse business at Burns,
buying and selling for the market, and running horses on the range. He then spent
a number of years in mining enterprises and in the stock business in Idaho and
Montana, being identified with various points of interest, including Dillon, Horse



600 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

Prairie and Beaver Head, Montana, and Salmon City and Bannock, Idaho. The sheep
business was then in its prime, and Mr. Kyne engaged in this great industry at
Lucin, on the Utah-Nevada border, and later at Montello and Elko, Nev. Closing
out his interests in the sheep business, Mr. Kyne eventually returned to California,
and went into Kern County, where he was employed on the Shafter & McKittrick
ranch, northwest of Bakersfield, for six years. For the succeeding thirty years Mr.
Kyne claimed Kern County as his home, although he spent only a part of his time
there, coming and going at irregular intervals, the while he traversed the wide ranges
of the Pacific Coast states, engaging in various industries, generally involving trans-
actions in horses, cattle, sheep, or lands.

The marriage of Mr. Kyne occurred in Albion, Idaho, May 5, 1896, uniting him
with Mrs. Lucinda Wilcox, a native of Iowa, and daughter of Jacob and Louvise
(Curtis) Paden. Mrs. Kyne's father was a well-to-do farmer of Iowa and later of
Idaho. He served with distinction in the Civil War under General Grant, and is an
enthusiastic member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. and Mrs. Kyne are
the parents of two children : William C. was in camp at San Diego when the Armis-
tice was signed, and Nora A., who is at home. Mrs. Kyne passed away July 16, 1921.

Mr. Kyne himself is a native of Ireland, born at Headford, March 18, 1863,
the son of William and Bridget (Davis) Kyne. His father was a stockman and
farmer in Western Ireland, where he was born and where he spent the measure of
his days. The early boyhood of Mr. Kyne was passed on his father's farm and in
attending the local schools, but his love of adventure and for the great outdoors early
turned his thoughts to America, and when he was little more than a lad he determined
to leave his home and joined his mother's brother in Milwaukee, Wis. He early be-
came an American citizen, and is a true and loyal patriot and a pioneer son of whom
the state of his adoption may well be proud.

CHARLES CHESTER HORSLEY.— Stanislaus County has always been for-
tunate in her corps of merchant-leaders, prominent among whom may well be named
Chas. Chester Horsley, the secretary, treasurer and resident manager for the J. R.
Horsley & Sons Company, in charge of their store at Waterford. His father, J. R.
Horsley, started the general merchandise store at Waterford on the Fourth of July,
1892. He was born in Ohio, and was married in Indiana to Miss Catherine Caldwell.
Leaving her and their four children in their Hoosier home, he crossed the plains with
ox-teams in 1852, mined and succeeded; whereupon he returned to Indiana and in
1857 brought his family out to California. He sailed with them by way of the route
to and from the Isthmus, and traveled on the old steamship George Law on the last
voyage she made prior to her going down. Four children were born to these parents
in Indiana, and two are now living — Jim and Will ; and three were born in California.

The youngest of the family, C. C. Horsley, was born at Jeffersonville, in Tuo-
lumne County, on January 25, 1863, and his early life was passed on a ranch. While
he was a mere boy, his father moved to Buena Vista Flats ; and being a good business
man, familiar with the routine of office work, he kept the books at the Tulloch Mill at
Knights Ferry. Precocious in his younger days, Joseph R. Horsley at eighteen ran a
newspaper, and continued to be engaged in journalistic work the greater part of his
time in Indiana. When three years of age, C. C. Horsley came to Buena Vista. He
attended the Skowhegan Hill district school until the family moved on a ranch seven
miles northeast of Waterford and there he attended the Dry Creek school for six years.
When he attained his fifteenth year, his parents moved to Snelling, and there the
boy attended the public schools in the Snelling district, where he lived from his fifteenth
to his twenty-eighth vear. He took the commercial course at Heald's Business College
at San Francisco, and his first practical experience was to keep books for his father in
the general merchandise store at Snelling.

While assisting his father at that place, and during his twenty-sixth year, Mr.
Horsley was married to Miss Maud Hendricks, who died in 1915, leaving him three
children, all married. Cecil E. Horsley is in business and resides at Oakland, and
married Viola Sibley; Edith is the wife of Chesley L. Bentley of Waterford, and
Charles Raymond married Blanche Bailey and lives at Waterford.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 603

Mr. Horsley came to Waterford with his family twenty-eight years ago, and he
has been in mercantile life ever since. His parents lived in Waterford for many years,
and finally died here — the mother in 1904, and the father in 191-1 — and both were
widely known and highly respected. Mr. Horsley is a stockholder in the Commercial
& Savings Bank at Waterford, and helped to organize it. He also helped to form the
Waterford Irrigation Company, and served as its first secretary. He is a member of
the Waterford Chamber of Commerce and the Stanislaus County Board of Trade.
He is the representative from Waterford to the County Board of Trade, in which he
takes a very active part. He is also a deputy county clerk. He is a member of the
Baptist Church at Waterford and he is a Prohibitionist. At the age of twenty-one,
he joined the Odd Fellows at Snelling; and he has continued his affiliation with that
order, being past officer of the order. He also belongs to the Woodmen of the World
and the Modern Woodmen of America.

Mr. Horsley represents, as secretary, treasurer and manager, an institution
of which Waterford is and may well be proud — the J. R. Horsley & Sons Company.
Its store was opened under the firm name of J. R. Horsley & Son, as a branch of
the Horsley establishment at Snelling, in Merced County. It was started on a small
scale, and it has had varied success — some years being pretty "lean," others little better,
according to the local conditions confronting everyone, until of late, when it has been
reasonably successful. Now the company carries a stock worth about $20,000, and
does a business amounting to between $40,000 to $60,000 a year. The leading mer-
cantile institution of the place, it carries a general line of groceries, hardware, shoes,
furnishing goods for men, and hosiery for ladies and children, and also a small line of
dry goods. In 1913 it was incorporated under the name of J. R. Horsley & Sons
Company, and it is no longer a branch of the store at Snelling, having grown larger
than the body from which it sprung. The Snelling store is managed by W. A.
Horsley, president of the corporation. The store also sells all kinds of farm imple-
ments, including mowers, rakes, cultivators and plows, being agents for the John Deere
Plow Company, the Syracuse plows, the tractor plows, harrows for orchard and farm,
and Woodward ditchers. And although offering city service far remote from the
metropolis, they sell at San Francisco prices, less five per cent for cash.

EDWARD L. BATES. — The opportunities offered by California to men of
determination and perseverance find a fitting illustration in the life of Edward L.
Bates, who came to California some twenty-one years ago, settling in San Diego,
where he engaged in the business of contracting painting and decorating. He was born
in West Greenwich, R. I., a son of Daniel and Sarah O. (Handy) Bates. The
father was a native of New York, his parents being among the early settlers of that
state ; later the family removed to Michigan, and he served his country during the
Civil War. He was a contracting painter in New York; later engaged in the same
line of work in Chattanooga, Term. A few years later he returned to New York,
and there he passed away. Mrs. Bates is a native of Rhode Island. She is an edu-
cated and cultured woman, and is a graduate of a chiropractic college and is at the
present time successfully following her chosen profession. Mr. and Mrs. Bates were
the parents of four children, the only surviving one being the subject of this sketch.

Edward L. Bates removed with his parents to Tennessee when he was ten years
old, and attended the public schools there. The family remained there for eight
years, and then returned to Syracuse. N. Y., working with his father in the contract-
ing business. In 1900 Mr. Bates came to California, settling in San Diego, and
establishing the partnership of Crowley and Bates, contractors in painting and deco-
rating, and this partnership continued until 1905, when Mr. Bates decided to remove
to Modesto. He had heard a great deal about the wonderful San Joaquin Vallev, and
of the possibilities of the productiveness made possible by the s\stem of irrigation, and
upon investigation thought so well of the valley, that he removed and settled in
Modesto. However, he continued his contracting business, many business blocks ami
fine residences attesting to his workmanship. For six years, Mr. Bates was in partner-
ship with Mr. Rigney, but at the present time, he is working alone at his chosen
occupation. He enjoys a steadily growing business and has the confidence and esteem



604 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

of his associates. He has done some of the best painting jobs in Modesto, among
them being the First Methodist Church, Odd Fellows Hall, the Langdon residence,
McMahon building, T. K. Beard residence, and many others. Many of his custom-
ers are of long years' standing. Mr. Bates resides in a fine home on Semple street.

The marriage of Mr. Bates occurred in San Diego and united him with Miss
Agnes M. Henshihvood. They are the parents of three children: Ronald, Lorna and
Harold. Mrs. Bates' parents are of Scotch descent, residents of Chiterall, Minn.,
and where she was born. Her family removed to San Diego when sh



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 71 of 177)