Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 83 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 83 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


door life on the farm was necessary for her son's health. So in 1907 she and her
brother, G. A., came to Turlock to look for a location. Mr. Samuelson of that place
showed them the country and lands for sale at that place, but it did not appeal to
them. He then took them to the new colony of Hughson, just subdivided. Thev
liked the soil and purchased sixty acres. She set about improving the place, had an
orchard of peaches planted and a vineyard set out and in 1910 she moved on to tin-
place. She built a comfortable residence, planted ornamental trees and shrubbery, and
her place soon became a show place and others followed her example, so that Hughson
soon had many well-kept and beautiful homes. The balance of the ranch was planted
to alfalfa and she also engaged in dairying for a while. In 1915 she again made her
residence in Oakland to take advantage of the better schools for her son's education.
After three years she returned to Hughson, where she became bookkeeper for the Con-
densed Milk Company at Hughson, a position she filled acceptably until 1920, when
she resigned to locate in Los Angeles, where her only child, a son, Wendell, is attend-
ing Manual Arts high school.

An accomplished woman, reared in an atmosphere of culture and refinement, Mrs.
Samson has a very pleasing personality and she commands respect wherever she goes.
Her influence for good and public progress was very perceptible in Hughson, where she
took a leading and prominent part in civic and social circles. By her energy and
enthusiastic support of progressive measures for the community and particularly for
a high standard of morals and society, she accomplished much good and laid a founda-
tion that is being followed to the great advantage of the people of that section.

A friend to the cause of education, she was one of the principals in the organiza-
tion of the Parent-Teacher Association and was a prominent worker for good schools.
She was a leading and active member of the Baptist Church in Hughson and was




/



M<



OLsWl^Lzry^



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 733

treasurer of the congregation as well as superintendent of the junior department of
the Sunday school, and as a teacher built up a large class among the young people.

The Woman's Improvement Club of Hughson also received Mrs. Samson's
hearty support and was very active in its councils during her residence there. Fra-
ternally she is a member of the Order of Eastern Star ; a believer in cooperation, she
is a member of the California Cooperative Canneries in Modesto, and the California
Peach Growers, Inc. It is to women of Mrs. Samson's type that Stanislaus County
owes much of its present progress and prosperity, for by her energy, enthusiasm and
leadership she paved the way and used her influence for the uplift of the community,
so she is much loved and highly esteemed by all who know her.

OTIS ZORAH BAILEY.— Among the well-known citizens of Central Cali-
fornia is Otis Zorah Bailey, who resides with his wife and family at Oakdale in their
comfortable residence on Bardo street, between H and G streets, in a section he has
built up, on an acre of land. This he has greatly improved, having planted and raised
there a family orchard having some of the finest orange trees in California bearing fruit
which will compare with some of the best in Orange County. He is a man of action
and enterprise, broad-minded and generous, and it is not surprising that he was made
fire chief of Oakdale five years ago, in which responsible capacity he has served Oakdale
ever since. The city is now well equipped to handle fires, and so well does Chief
Bailey's department handle the situation in times of emergency, that for years no fire
in Oakdale has ever gotten under way.

Along with this work for the town, Mr. Bailey is conducting an extensive dray-
ing in and around Oakdale, using the Southern Pacific Railroad Company's storage
warehouse in order to accommodate his large and constantly increasing traffic. He
makes a specialty of hauling heavy freight, such as engines, dynamos and other pon-
derous machinery, and so experienced is he that he handles such things as dummy
steam engines weighing perhaps sixteen tons, and that, too, without removing a wheel.
He has also often teamed to the mines, lumber camps and sawmills in Stanislaus and
Tuolumne counties.

Mr. Bailey was born on a farm across the Stanislaus River about three miles from
Oakdale, on July 13, 1865, the son of S. P. Bailey, usually called Steve Bailey, who
settled in the vicinity of Knights Ferry in the early '50s, hailing from his native state,
New York, and came to be well and favorably known in both Stanislaus and Tuol-
umne counties. He came out with his uncle, William Bailey, also an early pioneer,
who had returned to New York and was coming to the Coast for a second time.
Arriving here, Steve Bailey worked for his uncle in the cattle business, but as soon
as he was able to do so, he established something for himself. He opened a butcher
shop at Knights Ferry, but after running it for some years, sold it and embarked in
a livery stable at the same place.

While at Knights Ferry, S. P. Bailey was married to Miss Mary Ellen Cottle,
a native of Missouri, who came to Knights Ferry with her father, the well-known
gold miner, Zorah Cottle. He also was born in Missouri, and had come overland in
1849, becoming one of the first citizens of the new commonwealth. In 1851 he made
his second trip across the Continent, and then he brought, besides his family, wagons,
cattle and a good stock of provisions. Mary Ellen was his only child, and her mother's
name was Catherine.

Soon after their marriage, Mr. Bailey engaged in dry farming on an extensive
scale, and raised grain on upwards of some 5,000 acres, in several tracts, near Water-
ford and what is now the vicinity of Oakdale, and it was amid scenes of waving grain
on California's bonanza barley and wheat farms that our subject, Otis Zorah Bailey,
was reared. He began driving and working with horses when a mere lad, and became
such an expert horseman of that kind that he could handle a thirty-two horse or
mule team. Later, Steve Bailey quit farming and removed to Stockton, where he
died about 1900, at the age of fifty-eight, while his good wife passed away the year
before, three or four years younger than her husband.

Otis Bailey attended the schools of his home district, and after moving into
Stockton, took a course in the Stockton Business College, after which, he was offered



734 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

a flattering position by Hale & Company of that city. He was at that time in delicate
health, and it was deemed the part of wisdom for him to continue to lead an active
outdoor life. Hence, he took to farming near Waterford, and soon, like his father,
was operating on a large scale, cultivating from 1,000 to 3,000 acres.

In 1887 Mr. Bailey was married to Miss Hattie Boice of Lathrop, a daughter of
the well-known pioneer, Sam Boice, of Lathrop, who was born in Kentucky and came
across the great plains about 1850. He first engaged in dairy farming at Sonora, and
later he removed to French Camp, where he ran a blacksmith shop, after which he
took up farming at Lathrop. One child, a daughter named Ruth, blessed this union ;
she is a graduate of the Oakdale high school and is now a stenographer and bookkeeper
for-Libby, McNeill & Libby at San Francisco.

Mr. Bailey farmed extensively with varying success; and after the San Francisco
earthquake and fire, he went into the Bay City with thirty head of mules and con-
tracted for teaming for six months. He later contracted to do hauling for the Sierra
& San Francisco Power Company while they put in a relief dam at the top of the
summit in Tuolumne County. Then he came to Oakdale and bought out Mr. Seeber's
draying business and for five years teamed steadily from Copperopolis to Milton, using
two fourteen-mule teams for the hauling of heavy freight. Mr. Bailey has always
«tood by the Republican party platforms. For thirty-six years he has belonged to the
Stockton Parlor N. S. G. W., and to the Woodmen of the World.

CAPTAIN LOWELL G. KRIGBAUM.— A young man of much energy and
activity, prominent as a mining and civil engineer, with the best part of his life before
him, the late Captain Lowell Krigbaum, of San Francisco, lived a strong and useful
life, and his tragic death, while yet in the full vigor of early manhood, was deeply
deplored as a public loss not only to the community in which he resided, but to the
county and state. Liberal-minded, with a high moral sense, keen perceptive faculties,
and an integrity that was never questioned, he was held in high regard by his large
circle of friends and acquaintances. His geniality and kindness of heart made him a
most agreeable and helpful associate. He was a native of Montana, his birth having
occurred on May 30, 1888, in Helena, the son of Henry S. and Helen Mary (Day-
ton) Krigbaum, of Patterson. The father was born near Zanesville, Ohio, June 9,
1855, his parents being Jonathan and Agnes (Gaynor) Krigbaum, natives of Mary-
land. Henry S. received his education in Ohio, but at an early age was filled
with the desire to go west, and when he was twenty-three years of age he removed to
Utah, then to Grass Valley, Cal. ; later removing to Corinne, Utah, and engaged in
business with his uncle, J. W. Guthrie, who was a banker of that place, and after a few
years he became cashier of the bank. Later he entered the mercantile business with
his brother and met with well deserved success. Mrs. Krigbaum was born at Syracuse,
De Kalb County, 111., her father a native of Vermont and her mother a New Yorker,
the father being engaged in the mercantile business at the time of her birth. In her
infancy the family removed to Denver, Colo., at the time of the great gold rush, and
for a time her father was engaged in the mercantile business there. The family then
removed to Kansas and for twenty-two years was engaged in farming, until the father's
death in 1885. Mrs. Krigbaum received her education in the grammar schools of
Spring Hill, Kans., later attending Park College. Following her graduation, she
removed to Utah as a Presbyterian missionary at Brigham City, where she taught for
two years, followed by two years of successful teaching at Corinne, where she met Mr.
Krigbaum, who claimed her for his bride. For two years, Mr. Krigbaum remained
in business in Corinne, then went to Marysville, Mont., and opened a general mer-
chandise store. In 1893, he removed his family to California, settling in San Francisco,
where he became manager of the Western Division of the Casualty Insurance Com-
pany. For some years the family resided in San Francisco; then went to Yolo County
and bought a fruit ranch, remaining there for three years; then for a year and a half
the family resided in Bakersfield, where Mr. Krigbaum ran the Grand Hotel ; then the
family returned to San Francisco and engaged in the hotel business, and were residing
there when the great earthquake and fire of 1906 occurred. They continued in the



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 737

hotel business until the fall of 1915, and in the spring of 1916 removed to Patterson,
where they have since resided.

Lowell Krigbaum was educated in the public schools of San Francisco, gradu-
ating from the San Francisco high school in 1906, and from the University of California
with the class of 1912, with the degree of mining and civil engineer. He was engaged
as civil engineer for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company and with the Solano Irri-
gated Farms Company; later with the California Debris Commission, and was thus
employed when the World War broke out in the spring of 1917. He was among the
first to enlist in the service of his country and was sent to an officers' training camp at
Vancouver, Wash., on September 5 receiving his commission as first lieutenant. On
December 22, of that same year, he was transferred to Arizona, and trained for a
,-hort time, but was sent almost immediately to France, where he was commissioned
captain. For the greater part of his overseas service, Captain Krigbaum was attached
to the supply transport service in Tours, where he saw much active service and met
with many thrilling experiences and escaped without disaster. He returned to
America in July, 1919, and received his honorable discharge that same month in
Washington, D. C. He returned immediately to San Francisco, where he had been
employed with the California Debris Commissi'on at the time of his enlistment, and
within half an hour of his landing was again installed in his old position. While
engaged with his work with the Commission, he became interested in a mining
proposition, and through his untiring efforts had succeeded in influencing some people
in the proposition, and had been offered a most lucrative position with the mining com-
pany. While returning from a tour of inspection with the officers of the mining com-
pany, he was the victim of an automobile accident, and he was instantly killed. This
accident occurred May 10, 1921.

The marriage of Captain Krigbaum occurred in Los Angeles, August 29. 1917,
and united him with Miss Jerome Gerhart. One child was born to them, Lowell G.
Dayton. A large circle of friends mourn the passing of this brilliant young man.

MR. AND MRS. PEARL C. RICHARDSON.— Vital factors in the building
up of Stanislaus County are Mr. and Mrs. Pearl C. Richardson, authorities on poultry
breeding' and bee culture, who live to the east of Hughson, to which promising town
they came about a decade ago. Mr. Richardson was born in Medford, Mass., on
September 19, 1876, the son of Horace K. and Martha Anna (Bisbee) Richardson,
devoted parents, who sent their son to the Medford grammar schools. The Richard-
sons trace their lineage back to England, where the family had a coat of arms ; the
originator of the family in the United States came to Massachusetts in the early days
and settled at Woburn. Horace K. Richardson was a superintendent for the Amer-
ican Soda Fountain Company in Boston, Mass., being with the company for thirty-
tour years; but the family resided at Medford, and Pearl, at the age of sixteen, took
a position with this company, where he learned the silversmith's trade. He was with
that company in this field of work for seven years, and then he took up mechanical
work for them and became an installation engineer, putting up their fixtures wher-
ever sold. He spent ten years in that department, rendering excellent service.

On leaving the American Soda Fountain Company, Mr. Richardson then went
to Cold Spring, on the Hudson, in New York, and spent a year with the Library
Bureau as foreman of their steel furniture department; when' the plant was moved
to Ilion, N. Y., he went with them and continued for sixteen months, when he resigned
to handle the automatic machinery of the Remington Arms Company's works .

In the fall of 1912, Mr. Richardson came to Hughson and bought four acres
three-quarters of a mile east of Hughson on the State Highway, where he started to
raise broilers, stocking his place with White Wyandottes, and after eighteen months in
that enterprise, he set up a hatchery in January, 1913, dropping the raising of broilers.
He then began raising White Leghorns and his business grew so rapidly that now
his incubators have a capacity of 5,000 eggs, turning out about 15,000 chicks a season.
Two and a half acres of his four acres are now set out to almond trees, three years old.
Mr. Richardson has erected two poultry houses. 75x14 feet each, with a capacity of
1 ,000 hens, and as a result of these operations he has become a specialist in correct hen



7.38 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

and chick feeding. He feeds his stock, for example, not for high egg production, but
for fertility and sturdy breeding. His conscientious attention to the problems involved
has led him to furnish with all baby chicks sold printed detailed instructions for their
feeding. He is a member of the Poultry Producers of Central California, Inc., and
was one of its charter members when it was organized in 1916.

At Medford, Mass., on June 20, 1899, Mr. Richardson was married to Miss
Florence Belle Wiswell, a native of West Medford, where she was reared and edu-
cated, attending the grammar and high schools. She also graduated from the Massa-
chusetts Normal Art School in Boston. Her father, Jacob C. Wiswell, a native of
Massachusetts, was a mining engineer, and he married Miss Alice S. Egleston, who
was born at Compton, Quebec. Jacob C. Wiswell is descended from English ances-
tors, the family name originally being spelled Wisewall, but when they came to Massa-
chusetts they simplified it to Wiswell. The first representatives of the family arrived
in this country in 1622, locating on the present site of East Boston, where they bought
a large tract of land on the island. Mrs. Wiswell is descended from an old Con-
necticut family on her father's side, the old Egleston family of Hartford; her mother
was a Paradis, whose lineage is traced back to France. Great-grandmother Maignon
was of the nobility of France, and so was obliged to flee for safety from that country
at the time of the French Revolution, coming to Quebec, Canada.

Mrs. Richardson is an authority on bee culture, having been interested in this
subject before she came to California, an interest she has since maintained. An inter-
esting talker, she keeps abreast with the latest developments in this line, being associ-
ated with Prof. George A. Coleman of the University of California in his scientific
work, as well as in the University of California extension work, and she has traveled
throughout the state, addressing many 1 assemblies of beekeepers. She was one of the
speakers at the annual meeting of the California State Bee Keepers Association held at
the Oakland Auditorium, of which she is an active member, and has spoken on bee
culture at the University of California, Mills College, and is now engaged to speak at
Stanford University. She spends much time in experimenting along this line, keeping
data of her experimental work, so that she is able to make valuable contribvition to
those engaged in bee culture. Mrs. Richardson has not confined her time to this
subject alone, but has been a liberal contributor to magazines and journals. A pro-
fessional photographer, she studied and perfected herself in this art while in Boston
and for some time followed it. She is also a gifted musician, having studied piano
under a pupil of the celebrated Moritz Mozkowski, and also under a pupil of Chas.
Dennee. A cultured woman, talented far beyond the average, her pleasing personality
makes her a favorite with all with whom she comes in contact.

Mr. Richardson was made a Mason in Mt. Hermon Lodge in May, 1905, at
Medford, Mass., and is now a member of Ilion Lodge No. 591, A. F. & A. M., N. Y.
He is also a member of Pyramid No. 15, Ancient Egyptian Order of Sciots, of
Modesto. Mr. Richardson was one of the originators of the Hughson Farm Center
of the Stanislaus County Farm Bureau and its secretary for the first two years, while
Mrs. Richardson is an ex-president of the Woman's Improvement Club. Enterpris-
ing and liberal, both Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are doing all they can to help build
up the county and state of their choice.

JOHN W. SHARP. — A prominent old settler of Stanislaus County who located
here as early as 1855, is John W. Sharp, who was born in Bedford County, Va.,
October 27, 1835, a son of John and Margaret (Jeter) Sharp, descended from old
Virginia families, who were planters until they came to Montgomery County, Mo.,
in 1839, and there John W. Sharp was reared on the farm and received his education
in the common schools of that neighborhood. In 1854 he had an opportunity to join
a train, driving an ox team across the plains for his board. They started in May and
arrived in October, locating about twenty miles from Sacramento.

In the spring of 1855 Mr. Sharp came to Hill's Ferry, Stanislaus County, where
he worked for different cattlemen, riding the range and becoming adept at the business.
As soon as he had saved sufficient capital he began for himself in the cattle business,
making his headquarters at Hill's Ferry, and in time became owner of a ranch in the



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 741

hills west of the town. His first brand was J., which he later changed to J.S., and
thus he continued in the cattle business and grain raising until three or four years ago,
when he leased his range. He also improved a ranch under the canal to alfalfa. This
ranch was located a mile south of Newman and he made his residence there until he
sold it five years ago and purchased his present home in Newman. In early days he
was engaged in the mercantile business in Hill's Ferry for a couple of years. Mr.
Sharp had a large fountain designed and erected at a cost of $2,500 on the main
corner in Newman, with sanitary drinking places for the comfort of the public, and
donated to the city as a monument to his father. In 1914 he arranged for a twenty-
dollar gold medal each year to be given to the graduate of the Newman high school
whose standing is the highest and each year he gives the graduating class, trustees and
teachers a bouquet. He also gives a twenty-dollar gold medal to the graduate of
Montgomery City, Mo., high school who has the highest standing. Mr. Sharp is
now the oldest settler on the West Side and probably one of the oldest in the valley.
He has a good memory and recalls many interesting incidents of early days. Among
them: In 1855 five Mexican cattle thieves were caught by the cattlemen with the
stolen cattle. The cattlemen gave them a fair trial, the evidence was clear and they
were found guilty and sentenced to be hung, and the. guilty men were hung on an oak
tree on the San Joaquin River near Hill's Ferry. The quick punishment meted to
them did much to curb cattle stealing. In national politics a Democrat, he is, however,
independent in local matters.

ANTONY MORGAN. — A retired farmer whose long years of hard work,
together with conservative and successful investments, have enabled him at last to own
some profitable real estate in the promising city of Modesto, is Antony Morgan, who
was born on the Isle of Bornholm, in Denmark, on November 15, 1853, the son of
Peter Morganson, a native of the same island, where he married Mary Ipsen, who was
born in Bornholm. Peter Morganson was a farmer and stockman, owning a choice
farm with which he had always the best of good luck ; and he became the father of six
children, four of whom are still living. Of the three sons, one has remained at the old
home. Antony is the only one living in California.

Antony was reared on his father's farm, while he attended the public school ; and
making good progress there, he was able, at the age of fourteen, to lay aside his books
and to take up farm duties, particularly the expert work of making butter — a delicate
commodity for which Denmark is especially famous. In 1875 he entered the Danish
army, in the Fifteenth Infantry, serving until 1877, when he received his honorable
discharge. He remained at home until he was twenty-five, then crossing the wide
ocean to America, on April 27, 1879, he reached Philadelphia. He had to employ his
ingenuity to get something of a foothold, but he succeeded in holding out until he
moved to Illinois, and when he had further acquired a knowledge of American life
and ways, he came to the Pacific Coast, arriving in Modesto in May, 1880, and in the
spring settled in Stanislaus County. At first he worked out for wages on the Whit-
more ranches, remaining there a year and a half and then he went to Eastern Oregon
and homesteaded and preempted Government land, 640 acres in all. As one of three
men in a party, he spent six weeks driving over land in order to make a survey and
find what would be best; and he took a quarter section, first as a homestead claim,
then the same amount for timber culture, next a like amount for rock culture, and
finally that area for preemption. He raised stock, principally beef cattle and horses,
and shipped in carload lots. His brand was the figure 10, shipping horses to the Red
River Valley and to Stanislaus County.

In 1903, Mr. Morgan sold out and returned to Stanislaus County, locating for a
year in Modesto; and in 1904 he purchased 160 acres in the Orr precinct, where he
engaged in dairying and general farming. Later, he bought 120 acres two miles from
Ceres, which he also leveled and checked and sowed to alfalfa. He built a large,
beautiful residence, set out an orchard and ornamental trees, so his ranch is one of the



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 83 of 177)