Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 84 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 84 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


best improved places in the county. He also owns valuable property in Modesto and
is vice-president and director in the Bank of Ceres.



742 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

In Wallowa County, Ore., June 10, 1884, Mr. Morgan was married to Miss
Mary Ipsen, also a native of Bornholm, Denmark, and who came to America in 1882.
She was a daughter of Hendrick and Anna (Larsen) Ipsen, now both deceased. Mr.
Ipsen was a contractor and builder. Interested in the cause of education, Mr. Morgan
has served acceptably as director of the Ceres school district. He is a popular member
of Bornholm Lodge No. 14 of the Dania in Modesto, while Mrs. Morgan is a mem-
ber of Aero Lodge of the Ladies of Dania. They were reared in the Lutheran Church
and still adhere to those doctrines. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan are very charitable and
kind hearted. They reared a niece of Laurine Ipsen, who is now the wife of John
Hanson, large and prosperous farmers of Orr precinct and who have two children,
Charles' and Clarence, the pride of Mr. and Mrs. Morgan. Together the worthy
couple, enjoying the fruits of hard and intelligent labor, now live in a typically Cali-
fornia house, on their well-kept farm, surrounded by tasteful gardens and grounds,
where they dispense a generous hospitality.

WM. W. FERGUSON. — An enterprising young man who is interested in pre-
serving local history is Win. W. Ferguson, assistant cashier of the First National
Bank of Turlock, as well as the Commercial Bank of Turlock. Mr. Ferguson is a
native of Iowa, born at Holstein, October 30, 1889, a son of A. P. Ferguson, the city
clerk of Turlock, represented on another page in this work. Wm. W. came to
California with his parents in 1892, residing with them at Delano, Kern County, and
while there completed the grammar school at the age of fourteen years. After attend-
ing the Los Angeles high school for two years, he came to Turlock, when he continued
his studies in the Turlock high school for a year and a half, when he was offered a
position as a clerk with the Commercial Bank of Turlock, which he accepted and
entered upon his duties January 20, 1908; later he became a bookkeeper and worked
through every department, becoming teller, and in 1913 he was made assistant cashier.

Mr. Ferguson was married in Turlock in 1911 to Miss Sara Kaufman, who was
born in Stromsburg, Nebr., but reared at Gothenburg, in that state, where she was
graduated from the high school, when she entered the Wesleyan University at Lincoln,
Nebr., where she was graduated. Coming to Oakland, Cal., in 1908, after a short
period with Hale's Dry Goods Company, she came to Turlock in 1909, where for
two and a half years she was head bookkeeper for Seth Williams' Dry Goods Store.

When the Commercial National Bank was nationalized, Mr. Ferguson was
made assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Turlock, as well as continuing as
assistant cashier of the Commercial Bank, affiliated with the former. Mr. Ferguson
has a large acquaintance throughout the county that appreciate him for his many good
traits and public spiritedness. He built his residence at 700 Columbia Avenue, where
he resides with his family. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. W. Ferguson has been
blessed with three children, Leonard, Jean and Edith. Mr. Ferguson is a member
and clerk of Camp 8367, Modern Woodmen of America, while with his wife and
children he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being a member of the
official board, and has been for twelve years secretary and treasurer of the Sunday
school. Mrs. Ferguson is an active member of the Ladies' Aid Society and was for
five years president of the Methodist Woman's Foreign Missionary Society.

E. V. FALK, M. D. — Next to the wonderful climatic attractions of Modesto
and its environs, must be reckoned, as one of the appeals in behalf of the city as a
desirable home place, the presence of men and women of eminence in the medical and
nursing world, able and ready to come to the assistance of those whose health, for one
reason or another, has been impaired. Prominent among such men of science stands
Dr. E. V. Falk, the well-known practitioner and surgeon, and later proprietor of the
Modesto Sanitarium, now St. Mary's Hospital.

He was born in Areata, Humboldt County, the son of Elijah H. Falk. Brought
up at Eureka, Eugene Vernon Falk graduated from the Eureka high school in 1904,
after which he began the study of medicine, matriculating at the Cooper Medical
College at San Francisco, where he was graduated in 1908 with the degree of M.D.
Having thus finely prepared himself for work in one of the most important of all
fields, Dr. Falk returned to Eureka and there began practice, in association with his




j^^^S^^



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 745

two brothers, Dr. Charles C. and Curtis O. Falk, with whom he continued until 1912.

In that year he located in Modesto, and here resumed the practice of medicine
and surgery, in which from the first he was very successful. In 1918, however, in
response to an inner feeling of duty, he enlisted in the medical corps of the U. S.
Army, and w T as soon after called into service. He was commissioned first lieutenant,
and was stationed at Fort Riley, Kans., to train for duty at the front. After five
months the armistice was signed, and in December, 1918, he was honorably discharged.

Returning to civil life and freedom for satisfying his scientific inclinations, Dr.
Falk went to Chicago to take a post-graduate course in autopsy and pathology, and
having much enlarged his hospital experience, he returned in February, 1919, to
Modesto and resumed his practice. He then purchased the Modesto Sanitarium from
Dr. B. F. Surryhne, and so remodeled and added to it that it is a modern, thoroughly
up-to-date hospital. This hospital was sold to the Sisters of Mercy and is now known
as St. Mary's Hospital. Dr. Falk's offices are on I Street, Modesto. Naturally,
he is a member of the county, state and national medical societies.

At Eureka, in Humboldt County, on December 9, 1911, Dr. Falk was married
to Miss Edith Wilson, a native of Petaluma and a graduate nurse of Lane Hospital,
San Francisco — in short, a scientifically-trained woman, with valuable experience, of
just the right type for a helpmate to one of Dr. Falk's calling and temperament.
Popular generally in social circles, Dr. Falk is perhaps particularly so in the clans
of the B. P. O. E., of which he is an honored member.

REV. JOHN BILLDT.— A zealous worker for the upbuilding of Turlock and
vicinity, and a prominent representative of the Christian ministry in Stanislaus County,
is the Rev. John Billdt, A. B., B. D., who was born in Lillherdal, Jamtlandslan,
Sweden, on November 20, 1881. He was reared on the farm of his parents, and
received a good education in the public schools, after which he attended the military
academy and in three years passed the examination entitling him to be an officer.

In 1905 his parents brought the family, including our subject, out to the United
States and Wyoming, and that same fall — John Billdt entered the Luther College
at Wahoo, Nebr., from which he was graduated with honors in 1910. He then con-
tinued at Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kans., and in 1913 received the B.A. degree.

He next entered the Augustana Theological Seminary in Rock Island, 111., and
was graduated in 1916 with the degree of B. D. He was ordained a pastor at Gales-
burg, 111., on June 11, 1916, and immediately accepted the call to Nazareth Church,
Turlock. He was also pastor of the Berea Lutheran Church at Hilmar until 1920,
and in both fields he has done good work, the blessed influence of which will be felt
for many years to come. This faithful service, together with his exceptional gifts
as a leader, has made him prominent in the California Conference of the Augustana
Lutheran Church, in which he is president of the State Luther League.

At Savonburg, Kans., in 1916, Mr. Billdt was united in holy matrimony to Miss
Hannah Danielson, a native of Savonburg, Kans., and a graduate nurse of the Swed-
ish Hospital in Kansas City, Mo. Two children have blessed the union, and they are
Verner L. E. and Bertil Le Roy Billdt. Stanislaus County will never fail to welcome
to its fields men and women of heart and intellect, broadminded and aggressively
progressive, such as Rev. and Mrs. Billdt, whose lines seem to have fallen where they
deserve to be — in pleasant places.

M. P. LONG. — A scientific but eminently practical manufacturer, who has given
an impetus to the California poultry and stock industry by pointing the way for the
highest possible output both in quantity and quality, is M. P. Long, the wide-awake
proprietor of the Lactein Company, whose catching motto is to "make every chick a
chicken and every pig a hog," and whose headquarters at Modesto are among the
most interesting yet established in this growing city. He was born in Boone County,
Mo., in 1883, the son of D. W. Long, who was a stockman and had served in the
Confederate army under General Sterling Price, the Commander of the Army of the
West. He made a specialty of raising mules, was known far and wide for the high-
grade products of his ranches, and died, much honored, in 1907. His wife, who was
Miss Laura A. Connor, was a native of Missouri and now resides at Visalia.



746 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

M. P. Long, having graduated from the Kirksville State Normal School, entered
the University of Missouri at Columbia, where he majored in dairy husbandry under
Professor Clarence Henry Eckles — the well-known lecturer on agricultural subjects,
formerly of the universities of Goettingen, Germany, Berne, Switzerland, and Madi-
son, Wis. — and from which he was graduated in 1908; after graduation, thanks
to his understanding of the opportunities California offers, he came to Ceres, in Stan-
islaus County. He soon took the management of the creamery at Hughson, and later
he managed the creamery at Keyes. There they bought only the cream; but when
competition grew keen, they had to begin using the waste. This caused him to experi-
ment and he later discovered and secured a patent for Lactein, a by-product composed
of lactic acid and protein. He was the first man to hold albumen in liquid form,
and to keep it.

After his discovery, he resigned his position on January 15, 1918, and located in
Modesto, to begin the manufacture of the article the world was waiting for. He
started to build up a factory, and so rapid was the successful introduction of the nov-
elty, that during the year 1920 he sold $100,000 worth. It has proven the most valu-
able addition to dairying, where it is mixed with feed, and it is used with the greatest
success by poultrymen, and those feeding hogs and calves. By actual experiment
farmers have found that in feeding by the use of Lactein they are able to make a
saving of thirty-five per cent.

Mr. Long is continuing his experimenting in the scientific line of dairy products,
particularly of sour milk products, and has produced a lactein milk compound for the
bakery trade and home use which will keep indefinitely. It has already become neces-
sary for Mr. Long to obtain more of the waste from creameries, so he has opened
another plant at Tulare, to secure and use the waste products of the creameries there,
and it is in this plant that he is manufacturing the lactein milk compound. He in-
corporated the Lactein Company for $25,000, and is the principal owner; he started
in January, 1918, in one little room, and now he has a large plant, taking all of the
buttermilk and whey from the Modesto Creamery, the largest establishment of its
kind in California. He has even built his own printing plant, to command that
service when and how he will, and in order to experiment with the raising and feed-
ing of poultry, he maintains a poultry yard, while he makes his experiments in the
feeding of hogs on the Modesto Creamery Company's hog ranch. He uses only the
latest and most improved condensing machinery, and the strongest, most up-to-date
trucks. As a result of having such a first-class article, now well advertised, he has
received thousands of letters from all parts of the United States, inquiring about and
ordering lactein.

At Hughson, in Stanislaus County, Mr. Long was married to Miss Ruth E.
Lutz, a native of Kansas and the daughter of Alvin and Emma Lutz, formerly of
Hughson, who was reared and educated in Colorado, and has been a teacher before
her marriage. Two children now brighten the happy, hospitable home — Gene Adelle
and Barbara Ruth.

ALLEN TALBOT. — A reliable worker who is very popular outside of and
within the Farmers' Union, where he is justly prominent, is Allen Talbot, a native
son, who was born at Point Arena, in Mendocino County, on June 21, 1867, the son
of J. G. Talbot, a native of Virginia, who came to Iowa when he was married, and
in 1852 pushed on to California. He used ox teams to cross the great plains, and
brought with him, despite all the privations and dangers, his wife and child. For a
few years he followed mining and then he farmed at Bloomfield, Sonoma County,
switching off to do lumbering at Point Arena and to contract for the getting out of
ranbark, posts and ties. He spent his last years with the subject of our review, and
died at Modesto in January, 1917. Mrs. Talbot's maiden name was Ellen Clark;
she was born in Iowa and died at Point Arena in 1889, aged fifty-four years. She
was the mother of twelve children, three of whom are living.

Allen Talbot, the youngest, was brought up at Point Arena and educated at the
Galloway school district, and from a boy learned lumbering and farming. He was
married at Albion, in Mendocino County, in 1890, to Miss Cordelia Hughes, a native



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 749

of Texas County, Mo., and for a time he continued as logging foreman for the
Salmon Creek Lumber Company. Then, moving back to Point Arena, he worked for
three years as a general' contractor in getting out logs, ties and tanbark, and there he
homesteaded 160 acres just south of Shelter Cove, the ranch being in Mendocino
County. While improving the farm he also engaged in teaming. He also leased
1,100 ares of land from the Needle Rock Lumber Company, and engaged in dairying
and stock raising. He went in, too, for butchering, and supplied the lumber and tie
camps and small places with meat. In his activity as a teamster, he ran two four-
horse teams, and his trade extended as far south as Usal. After ten years he sold his
ranch and moved to Willits, where he leased a dairy ranch, built a creamery and
made butter for San Francisco, selling it in the market there as the product of
the Willits Creamery.

At the end of five years, Mr. Talbot moved, in 1908, to Stanislaus County,
bringing his cattle with him, and bought a ranch of eighty acres five and a half miles
north of Modesto, on the McHenry Road ; and there he is engaged in dairying, main-
taining one of the most up-to-date dairies to be found for miles around.

Mr. Talbot has been particularly active in irrigation matters, and in 1913 was
elected a director of the Modesto Irrigation District, while in February, 1916, he was
elected president of the board to fill a vacancy, and at the next election was reelected
president of the board for a term of four years. On the organization, too, of the first
local of the Farmers' Union here, Mr. Talbot became a member and has been an
active worker ; and he was appointed a member of the committee entrusted with the
responsibility of starting the Stanislaus County Farm Warehouse Association, which
resulted in organization, and from which has proceeded the present large business in
the warehouses on L and Ninth streets. Since 1918, indeed, Mr. Talbot has been
president of the association's board of directors.

Six children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Talbot: Lottie Ellen,
W. L., E. A., Dora, F. V., and Virgil S. Talbot, who, with W. L. and E. A. Talbot,
were in the U. S. Air Service.

JOSEPH SAMUELSON. — A man who has taken a most interesting part in
the upbuilding of Turlock, and who has consequently much faith in the future of
both this progressive town and the fast-developing county, is Joseph Samuelson, who
was born at Sodradalan, Kopperborslan, Sweden, October 18, 1861. He passed his
early days on a farm in the Northland, at the same time attending the local schools,
where he was drilled according to the thorough Swedish methods; and in 1882 he
was able to satisfy a long-felt desire and immigrate to the land of the Stars and
Stripes. He made his way to Komstad, Clay County, Dakota Territory, and there
found emplojment with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, soon becoming fore-
man of yards. For six years he continued with that company and then he removed
to Gettysburg, in what is now South Dakota, and continued as foreman for the
C. & N. W. Railroad. About the same time, he located a homestead of 160 acres,
as well as a timber claim of equal extent, near Faulkton, Faulk County, and this
land he improved while he still worked for the railroad company.

In 1894, Mr. Samuelson disposed of his holdings and came to California and
located at Linne, San Luis Obispo County; and having rented a farm of 800 acres
west of Paso Robles, he engaged in raising grain and cattle. In 1901 he removed
to San Jose and for two years followed the grocery trade; and in 1903 he came to
Turlock, then a very small town. He bought ten acres adjoining the town on the
south, and after that added another ten acres; and here he engaged in horticulture.
In 1912 he traded his ranch for the St. Elmo Hotel in Turlock, and for three years,
as proprietor, he made that hostelry famous. Then he made another trade, exchang-
ing his hotel for a forty-acre ranch near Delhi, in Merced County, which he still
owns. As early as 1908, the Turlock Lumber Company built the Ramona Hotel,
and then Mr. Samuelson leased it; and two years later he bought the property and
ran the hotel until 1920, when he sold it.



750 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

In the meantime, with two partners, Mr. Samuelson bought the Cash Store on
North Broadway, and he has conducted it ever since. He also owns a half interest
in the general store at Keyes, the headquarters of the post office. In addition to these
important investments,' Mr. Samuelson has been interested in ranching, having
improved several Stanislaus County farms, and now owns two ranches comprising
eighty acres of choice land. Looked upon as an experienced, far-seeing and thor-
oughly dependable citizen, with a high sense of patriotic duty, Mr. Samuelson has
served efficiently as a trustee of Turlock from 1912 to 1918.

At Paso Robles, March 9, 1892, Mr. Samuelson was married to Miss Martha
Johnson, a native of Komstad, S. D., where she was educated in public schools, and
who is a woman of pleasing personality and has been an able assistant to her husband
in all his business enterprises. They attend the Swedish Baptist Church, of which
Mr. Samuelson is a charter member and an active member, and chairman of its board of
trustees. He is also an Ancient Odd Fellow. Mr. Samuelson is endowed with
much business ability and has made a success of all of his undertakings, and living
by the Golden Rule he has always been helpful to others.

OWEN DUFFY. — An enterprising business man, well known in the automobile
field, is Owen Duffy, a native of County Monaghan, Ireland, where he was born in
1882. He was a pupil of the schools at Dundalk until his fourteenth year, when he
came to the United States and soon located at Philadelphia, where he was employed
in the Cramp shipyards and learned shipbuilding. Eighteen months later he entered
the American merchant marine, and sailed on the Morgan line from New York to
New Orleans. When the Spanish-American War broke out, he enlisted in the U. S.
Navy on the "Yankee," and served until the close of the conflict in Cuban waters,
when the Spaniards left that part of the globe. After the Spanish fleet had been
annihilated, he secured his honorable discharge, and went back into the merchant
marine, and was in the U. S. transport service, sailing through the Mediterranean
and the Suez Canal, and on to the Philippines. He was later on the transport Meade
that carried the Forty-third United States Volunteers to Manila, and after that
returned on a transport to San Francisco, in 1899. Then he made several trips back
and forth on the Hancock, and then as second assistant engineer on the Relief, after
which he was first assistant engineer on the Burnside. Still later, he was chief engi-
neer, first on the Research, then on the Cutler, and then on the Samar — the latter
vessel being in the Coast Guard and Geodetic Survey. After that, for a year, he was
engineer and mechanical craftsman in the Bureau of Printing in Manila, from which
he was transferred to the Bureau of Insular Cold Storage, having charge of an ice
plant of 600 tons capacity. After continuing for a while as assistant engineer, he was
next made chief engineer, and later was general manager, and in that capacity he
remained until June 5, 1918, when Congress declared war on Germany.

Mr. Duffy then volunteered in the U. S. Navy and was commissioned a lieu-
tenant, serving on different vessels. He made several trips through the Panama Canal
to New York, and then on to France; and on February 5, 1919, he was released from
service. Fortunately for him, he had had experience with life in California; and
having found things all in all to his liking, he decided to remain a resident. He trav-
eled through the state, however, in an automobile, to inspect for himself the various
sections ; and he finally selected Turlock as the one promising most for the future ; and
having bought out the Jack Denio Garage, he so thoroughly and extensively remodeled
and improved it that, as the Mission Garage, it has become well and favorably known
throughout the county.

Mr. Duffy has the agency for the Elgin Six car, and carries a full line of automobile
supplies and accessories. The garage is located at 216 and 220 North Center Street,
and has a floor space of 120x140 feet. Mr. Duffy also owns the residence across the
street, where he makes his home. For a time he had a branch service station at Eighth
and I streets in Modesto, and also had an automobile sales room. He belongs to the
Turlock Board of Trade, the Automobile Trades Association of Stanislaus County,
and the Progressive Business Club, being a director in the latter organization. He is
a welcome member of both the Knights of Columbus and of the Eagles.







^jUA^



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 753

P. H. BEERY. — "The Father of Empire" in the truest sense of the word is
P. H. Beery, for this beautiful and thriving little colony owes its very existence to
him, and has been under his constant careful care since its foundation in 1908. He
was for many years in the ministry, and is a man of more than ordinary ability, highly
educated, widely read and traveled. With all this he is a practical, capable, energetic
business man, and is thoroughly capable of bringing any transaction or enterprise to a
successful culmination.

For many years Mr. Beery was with the Santa Fe Railway Company as traveling
colonization agent, and in this work became very familiar with the conditions through-
out the Southwest. In 1908 he, in conjunction with the Rev. S. F. Sanger, of the
Brethren Church, acting as a committee, made a careful and thorough investigation of
the Southwest, Northwest and the Pacific slope to find a suitable location for a colony
for the Brethren Church. Aftgr going into the matter with great deliberation they
decided upon the present location of Empire, and it was duly selected by the church'
organization. Mr. Beerv personally located the first two families here in December,
1908, these being J. W. Deardorff, from North Dakota, and L. W. Winklebleck,
from Indiana. From this small start the colony of Empire has grown to 300 families
in 1920, with splendid improvements in city development, a public library, a Board of
Trade, and a waterworks system in prospect.

Mr. Beery is proprietor of the leading garage, machine shop and service station
of this section, having purchased it from Jake Trogden in January, 1920. He has the
agency for the Ford automobiles and the Fordson tractors, and carries a complete line
of tires, tubes and accessories, while the machine and repair shops are equipped with
the very latest and best of machinery in every detail and in the hands of skilled
mechanics. Many improvements have been made since its purchase by Mr. Beery, who



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 84 of 177)