Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 92 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 92 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


'50s, and the father crossed the plains with an ox team at about the same time. They
have both passed away since their daughter's marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Moffet have
a charming daughter, Margaret Ann, now a student in the Ceres high school.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Moffet have a wide circle of friends and are known for their
gracious hospitality. Mrs. Moffet and Miss Margaret Ann are both members of the
Baptist Church at Ceres, and take an active part in church work and in social activi-
ties of many kinds. Mr. Moffet is very prominent in civic and commercial circles and
is always on hand to support any plan for the betterment of conditions or the develop-
ment and growth of Ceres and the county. He is a member of the Ceres Board of
Trade and one of the most consistent boosters in that organization of live wires.
Fraternally, he is a member of the Elks, Modesto Lodge, No. 1282. Politically, he
is a Republican and a supporter of party principles in national questions, but in all
local affairs he stands for progressive measures, general development of resources, clean
government and business administration of civic affairs, regardless of party lines. On
July 29, 1921, the board of supervisors appointed Mr. Moffet a director of division
two, of the Turlock Irrigation District. He is a member of the Stanislaus County
Farmers' Union and of the Nurserymen's Protective Association.

LOUIS J. NEWMAN. — Bearing a family name that has been worthily and
prominently linked with Stanislaus County's West Side for the past generation, Louis
J. Newman has made a distinctive place for himself in the Newman community,
named for his father, Simon Newman, to whose enterprise and genius as a business
builder this section owes much, not alone for its early development, but the large scale
on which he conducted all his enterprises gave an impetus to all the business and
agricultural life of this district, making its progress exceptional.

A native of Mellrichstadt, Germany, where he was born in 1846, Simon Newman
came to the United States when only fifteen years old, and thus grew up from an
early age in the democratic atmosphere of his adopted country. Arriving here about
the time of the breaking out of the Civil War, he enlisted for service when seventeen,
and when the war was over made his way to California. Through clerking in the
mines, his attention was turned toward the mercantile possibilities of this new land,
and he became the pioneer storekeeper at Hill's Ferry. When the Southern Pacific
built its road through Stanislaus County in 1889, Simon Newman came to the com-
munity that has since borne his name, and established the nucleus of the business that
is now the largest enterprise of its kind in Stanislaus County, and, indeed, one of the
largest corporations on the Pacific Coast.

The business of the Simon Newman Company, which was incorporated in 189S,
consists of the large mercantile business at Newman, the ranch properties, which in-
clude thousands of acres in Stanislaus and Merced counties, stocked with the finest
Hereford cattle on the Coast, and a chain of large grain warehouses, all wonderfully
successful enterprises.

One of the five children of Simon and Pauline (Strauss) Newman, Louis J.
Newman was born at San Francisco in 1886, where he received his early education in



818 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

the public and high schools. After finishing the course in the latter, he entered the
University of California, but at the close of his freshman year, he quit college to take
up the mercantile business with the Simon Newman Company at Newman. Begin-
ning at the bottom in 1906, he thoroughly learned all the details of this immense busi-
ness, and since 1917 he has been second vice-president of the company and its resident
manager. His inherited business ability and his years of practical experience have well
fitted him for this responsibility. The other officers of the corporation are: Juda
Newman, president; E. S. Wangenheim, first vice-president; R. J. Walsh, secretary;
J. S. Hofmann, merchandise manager ; A. Pfitzer, superintendent of ranches.

Prominent in all the affairs of the community, Mr. Newman takes a keen
interest in its future development and in preserving a record of its historical events
and landmarks. He is a director of the Bank of Newman, a member of the board of
trustees of the city of Newman, and treasurer of the Chamber of Commerce. Fra-
ternally he is a member of Modesto Lodge No. 1282, B. P. O. E., and of the Con-
cordia and Argonaut Clubs, San Francisco, and Beresford Country Club, San Mateo.

WILLIAM F. BOTHE. — A well informed and successful horticulturist and
general farmer, William F. Bothe has resided in Stanislaus County since 1904. He
has applied the latest scientific methods to his orchards and vineyard, which are among
the finest in the state. When Mr. Bothe bought his present property sixteen years
ago it was the middle of a grain field, but he has brought it under a high state of
cultivation, with some of the most beautiful and interesting ornamental and shade
trees on the coast, especially worthy of note being a eucalyptus tree grown from a seed
planted in 1904, which is now eighteen inches in diameter and over a hundred feet in
height ; and a silk oak tree of great beauty, also grown from a seed coming from eastern
Australia. Mr. Bothe's place of twenty-seven acres, in McHenry precinct, five miles
northeast of Modesto, is almost entirely set to orchard and grapes. For ten years
after coming to Stanislaus County Mr. Bothe worked and waited for the fruition of
his labors, and in 1914 he took unto himself a wife, being united in marriage with
Miss Martha Weissbrod, August 27, of that year, and has since established a com-
fortable home on his farm. He is the father of four children: Henry William, Marian
Elizabeth, Myrtle Gladys and Esther Ada.

Mr. Bothe is a native of Illinois, born near Dixon in Lee County, October 26,
1856. His parents were farmers, both born in Koenigsberg, Germany. His father,
Henry Bothe, who was of French descent, came to America when he was eighteen
years of age, and his mother, Catherine Hutzel, was brought across the seas when
she was but three years old. They both settled- in Lee County, 111., where they grew
to maturity, were married, and where they still reside, owning 212 acres of fine farm
land in that county. There were nine children in the Bothe family, of whom William
F. is the eldest born and the only one in California. His youth was the usual experi-
ence of the Illinois farmer's son, and his education was received in the public schools.
He remained with his father on the farm until he was twenty-six, and then rented
and farmed for himself in Lee County. In 1878 he came to Colorado and home-
steaded 160 acres in what is now Sedgwick County, on which he proved up and
then returned for a time to Illinois. In 1903 he joined a party of landseekers making
an excursion to the Pacific Coast, and the following March returned to California and
in April purchased his ranch in Stanislaus County, and is an enthusiastic booster.

Mrs. Bothe is a California girl, the daughter of John M. and Elizabeth (Tweed)
Weissbrod, now living in San Diego, Cal. Her father is a native of Germany and
her mother is descended from a good old English family of the gentry. They were
married in Wyoming, where for many years Mr. Weissbrod was engaged in the cattle
business on an extensive scale, operating 1 ,000 acres, with 400 or more head of cattle.
The family came to California in 1907, locating first at Lakeport, Lake County, and
two years later removing to Modesto, where the father bought eighty acres of farm
land in the northern part of the county. There were three daughters and five sons in
the Weissbrod family, of whom Mrs. Bothe is the first born. They are: Martha
Elizabeth, now Mrs. Bothe; Augusta, Mrs. Joe Foster, of Modesto; Moritz, of San



f*


i


1


w


mJfa*


m






HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 821

Diego; Dave, engaged in the garage business in Modesto; Dewey, an ex-service man
in the U. S. Navy, living at Norfolk, Va. ; George, living in San Diego; Ellen and
Walter, in San Diego with their parents.

Mr. Bothe has always taken an active interest in all that pertains to the welfare
of the county, particularly in all matters affecting horticulture. He is a member of
the California Associated Raisin Company and of the California Peach Growers, Inc.,
and is a strong advocate of cooperative marketing and of national advertising.

JOHN GORHAM. — Known throughout Stanislaus County as one of its pio-
neers and identified with its early history, John Gorham made a trip through that por-
tion of the country in 1865, where Newman is now located, when elk and antelope
were running in plentiful numbers over the wild grass, and with only two or three
houses in the entire territory. Born in Elk Grove, Lafayette County, Wis., on April
5, 1845, he was the son of James Harvey and Elmira Gorham of New York, who
settled in Wisconsin. In 1850 James H. Gorham, with a brother, came to California
in the gold rush, returning to Wisconsin a year later, but in 1853 he brought his family
in an overland ox-team train, bringing horses and cattle across the plains, settling on
a farm in Contra Costa County, about three miles from Walnut Creek. Here John
Gorham lived until he was sixteen, when he started out to make his own way. For
two years he worked on ranches and at eighteen, commenced farming for himself.

In 1869, Mr. Gorham came to Merced County, farming there for two years. On
account of the drought of 1870 and 1871 it was almost impossible to eke out even a
bare existence on the farm and after two years of struggle he gave up farming and in
1874 came to Hill's Ferry. He ran a livery stable and later purchased four acres, and
here has made his permanent home, engaging in various kinds of work and is now
engineer in charge of the Newman water pumping plant.

In September, 1882 Mr. Gorham married Mrs. Cynthia (DeHart) Gambling,
a native of Iowa, who came to California in 1876, daughter of John D. DeHart, who
first came to the Golden State in 1850, together with Jesse Hill, after whom the town
of Hill's Ferry was named. Mr. Gorham worked for J. J. Stevenson for twenty years,
but now on account of Mr. Gorham's advancing years it was necessary for him to
seek employment suitable for his physical strength and since 1918, he has been care-
taker of the pumping plant at Newman. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. there.

EDWARD NELSON DAVIS.— A wide-awake couple whose business ability has
spelled for them success such as many another might well desire for himself, and
whose successes, oft repeated, add weight to their optimistic views as to the future of
Stanislaus County, are Mr. and Mrs. Edward Nelson Davis, live members of the
Modesto Chamber of Commerce, and valued participants in local civic efforts. Mr.
Davis is a realtor and the proprietor of the Tynan Hotel. He was born in Kansas
City, Kans., in 1882, the son of A. L. Davis, who was a native of Covington, Ky.
He settled in Iowa, became a builder there, and in that state married Miss Minnie L.
Vossler, a native daughter. They now reside in Modesto, the parents of five children,
three of whom are living. The second is the subject of this interesting story.

When three years old, his parents took Edward to Denver, Colo., and seven
years later they moved to Portland, Ore. The lad attended the local public schools
of Portland, although beginning with his boyhood in Oregon he worked off and on
in the lumber camps along the lower Columbia River, receiving fifty cents a day for
his services. This was not much, but then he only had to grease the skids over which
the oxen hauled the long string of logs. Later, for two and a half years, he took up
carpentering, after which he traveled as a salesman through different states, going
eastward as far as New York, and increasing his experience with the world, since that
work for sixteen years took him into nearly every state in the Union. Then he was
engaged in business in different cities until he located for a while at Seattle, where
he taught athletics.

After another trip East, when more than ever he was able to compare and judge
towns and neighborhoods, Mr. Davis pitched his tent at Modesto, an act he has never
repented, and which was due to the move made by the parents of his wife. They



822 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

liked Modesto so well that they remained ; and Mr. Davis also concluded to locate
here. He purchased a small farm which he improved ; and at the same time he estab-
lished himself as a realtor, and found that his experience in life and services in
behalf of those wishing to acquire property of a reliable kind, were wanted in the
growing community. Indeed, Mr. Davis has been so successful that in 1920 he sold
over three-fourths of a million dollars worth of property.

Mr. Davis also purchased the Swan Hotel and ran it until it was sold. Then
he bought the Plato, and that he also made successful, and finally resold. At length,
in January, 1921, he purchased the Tynan Hotel, fitted it up well, and set about
eclipsing the hotels already mentioned ; and he is still the proprietor of the favorite
resort, enjoying in its conduct the valuable assistance of his wife, and together they
study to meet and also to anticipate the wants of their numerous patrons.

At Ogden, Utah, Mr. Davis was married to Mrs. Lula Story Bean, a native of
Nebraska and the daughter of Thomas and Melvine Story, who located in Los Angeles
in 1900 and later came to Modesto. Mrs. Davis was educated in the excellent
schools of California, and by her first marriage, she had one child, Lennie Bean, who
married Louise Schloah, which resulted in the birth of a boy named Edwin
Thomas Bean. When Congress declared war on Germany Lennie Bean responded
patriotically in defense of his native country in the World War, and was permitted
to do what was not granted to everyone, to make the supreme sacrifice. Fortunate
already in a circle of admiring friends, he lost his life while in camp in Florida, and
was mourned by all who had come to know his manly qualities, never better displayed
than in the life of the soldier.

CHAS. C. HALE. — An enterprising young business man, the junior member ol
Hale Bros., in Turlock, is Chas. C. Hale, who was born in Baldwin, Iowa, April 21.
1891. His father, Alex Hale, was born in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Mr.
Hale's grandfather was Wm. Hale, a native of the north of Ireland, who brought his
family to America when Alex Hale was eleven years of age. For a while they resided
in Toronto, Canada, then in Michigan and afterwards in Youngstown, Ohio. Later
he moved to Iowa, where he spent his last days.

Alex Hale came to Iowa, where he engaged in farming. His first marriage was
to Augusta Tabor, who died leaving a small boy, E. A. Hale. His second marriage
was in Baldwin, Iowa, in 1890, to Miss Zadie Clark, who was born in Minnesota,
a daughter of James and Jane (Blair) Clark, natives of Pennsylvania, who were
early settlers of Minnesota, afterwards moving to Baldwin, Iowa, and passed away in
that state. After their marriage, Alex Hale engaged in farming, meeting with success.
On account of his health, he retired, and since 1910 he has resided in California, and
he and his wife are now living in Turlock. This union was blessed with two children,
Chas. C, of whom we write, and Erma, a teacher in the Turlock schools.

Mr. Hale was reared on the farm in Iowa, attending the grammar and high
schools. In 1910 he came to Kingsburg, Cal., and in 1911 to Turlock. He had be-
come proficient as an automobile mechanic, which occupied his time until 1913, when
he formed the present partnership with his brother, E. A., as Hale Bros., and obtained
the Ford agency, founding the nucleus of their present large business, which includes
the southern part of Stanislaus County and northern part of Merced County. Their
first location was on First Street, then in different locations until 1918, when they
built the present large new brick garage building, 100x150 feet, of two stories, on the
corner of South Broadway and A street. Afterwards they purchased the corner oppo-
site and rented it to the Union Oil Company for a service station, until they sold it.

Hale Bros, also are agents for the Fordson tractors and the implements that go
with it. They have a large, modern and well-equipped repair department, and have
established a splendid reputation for service. Mr. Hale is vice-president and director
of the Yosemite Hotel Co.

Mr. Hale was married in Rushmore, Minn., being united with Miss Marie
Thompson, a native of that place, who was a graduate of the Worthington high
school; she was a daughter of Frank and Alice Thompson, who now make their home




^H



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 92 of 177)