Copyright
George Henry Tinkham.

History of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres online

. (page 93 of 177)
Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 93 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Rock, having been elected at twenty-one, but ran the farm until his father sold it.

In 1902 Mr. Trask returned here and located permanently. He went back to the
California, locating for a while at Newman, where he engaged in ranching and dairy-
ing; he bought a ranch, planted to alfalfa, and maintained a high-grade dairy. This
he afterward sold, and made two trips back East, once stopping for a while in Sioux
City, Iowa, where he bought a dairy, and then bought and sold cattle. He liked the
country, but he liked California better.

In 1902 Mr. Trask returned here and located for good. He went back to the
Newman ranch, and sold out, then he moved to Livermore, where he bought 320
acres. In 1905 he sold this property and located at Modesto, buying the thirty-five
acres of the Broughton Tract, which he planted to alfalfa, but in eighteen months sold
again at a profit. Then he purchased a ranch in the Wood Colony and improved it,
and after that bought and sold three other ranches. He has come to reside in -Modesto,
where he bought sixty acres on Crows Landing Road, three and a half miles out of




^j$^U>



( bU~



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 829

town. There he had forty-five acres of peaches, including the Tuscan, Philipp and
Hauss, with some apricots, and fifteen acres in apricots and almonds, all under irriga-
tion. This place he sold in 1919 and with his brother owns eighty acres at Salida,
which he devotes to alfalfa. He also owns a forty-acre vineyard and orchard two
miles east of Modesto on Waterford Road.

In 1909 Mr. Traslc was elected director of the Modesto Irrigation district, and
he was president of that organization for several years, and was in that office when
the last bond issue was carried by the voters of the district.

While living in Illinois, seven years after his first wife's death, Mr. Trask was
married at Monroe, Wis., to Elizabeth Chadwick Banta, a daughter of Jeremiah
Banta, a prominent business man in Monroe. She passed away at Newman, Cal.,
leaving two children, Jean Carrol, who died in Modesto at fifteen years, and Jay,
who was a graduate of Modesto high school, after which he assisted his father in his
farming operations, until he died suddenly of influenza in 1921, only twenty years of
age. He was a fine young man and had many friends.

Mr. Trask was married again at Modesto, his bride being Miss Jennie Mullen,
a native of Ireland ; she died and left one child, Evelyn Ramona, who is at home.
Again he married, at Oakland, choosing Mrs. Dora (Dramer) Free, a native of
Hannibal, Mo., who was reared in Arkansas, and who came to California in 1906.
Her father was Lewis Dramer, a German who settled in Missouri, and married
Elizabeth Mensor, also a native of that state. He removed with his family to Jud-
sonia, Ark., and was both a farmer and a merchant there until his death. In national
politics Mr. Trask is a Republican.

OMER C. GLASS.- — A progressive, interesting and highly esteemed rancher is
Omer C. Glass, who lives on the McHenry Road, five miles north of Modesto. He
was born at Donnelsville, Ohio, on December 7, 1884, son of David E. Glass, who
was born in Augusta County, Va., and survives. He was a blacksmith and in Virginia
married Miss Maggie J. Good, a native of Rockingham County, where she died, aged
fifty-five years. There were six children, of whom Omer was eldest; and he grew up
in Donnelsville, receiving a good public school education. After school days he
entered the employ of the Victor Rubber Company, meanwhile studied telegraphy
and qualified for a position with the Dayton, Springfield & Urbana Electric Railway.
California beckoned, hence he resigned after eight months to spend a year in Los
Angeles, then going to Catalina Island. Here, in the employ of the Bannings for
another year, he rose to be foreman of their farming operations.

In 1905, Mr. Glass came to Stanislaus County, acquiring his home place of ten
acres. Here there are apricot trees twenty-five years old and in full bearing, planted
by his father-in-law, R. E. Bangs. This is one of the first orchards set out in the
county and flourished before the formation of an irrigation district, because Mr. Bangs,
undaunted by water scarcity, hauled water by tank on a wagon. This is now one of
the finest orchards in the district, Mr. and Mrs. Glass having exhibited dried apricots
and peaches therefrom at the Modesto Fair, which won blue ribbon prizes. The
quarter-century-old trees are wonderful bearers and have produced in one season as
much as 1,110 pounds to one tree. Mr. Glass has helped to improve several ranches
which he has owned, besides the one inherited by his wife, which was formerly a part
of the R. E. Bangs ranch of 480 acres, and he has succeeded much beyond the average
farmer. This may be in part due to his views in regard to drainage, for he has long
advocated that proper drainage is just as essential as adequate irrigation. He has also
had -experience in dairying, in raising alfalfa and grain, and at one time operated
the entire Bangs ranch.

At Oakland, in 1908, Mr. Glass married Miss Caroline Bangs, daughter of
R. E. Bangs, a pioneer educator of this section, who in later life became the rancher-
owner of the 480 acres well known as the R. E. Bangs ranch. Mr. Bangs died in
1901, and Mrs. Bangs, who was Miss Isabella Taylor, a native of Scotland, passed
away, aged seventy-two, in 1912. Caroline Bangs, a native daughter of the county,
was born on the Bangs ranch on the McHenry Road, Modesto, and graduated from



830 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

the Modesto high school in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Glass are the parents of two
daughters, Marjorie Evelyn and Helen Louise.

In addition to his own holdings, Mr. Glass rents lands in the vicinity, he also
is owner of city property at Pacific Grove. He was one of the first members and stock-
holders in the California Peach Growers, Inc., a member of the Prune and Apricot
Association of California, and an original stockholder of the California Cooperative
Canneries of Modesto. In national politics a Republican, he prefers a nonpartisan
attitude toward all local questions, and exercises influence as a well-read, thinking and
intelligent citizen for the greatest good.

WILLIAM J. ASPE. — Another native son of California who for more than
forty years of an active life has participated in the changes through which this great
state has passed, is William J. Aspe, now owner of a splendid forty-acre ranch on
Almond Avenue, just south of Patterson. He is descended from one of the early
pioneer families of the state, his father, William Aspe, having come to California in
the early '60s, rounding the Horn in a sailing vessel on which he was the first mate.
He was a native of the Balkan States, and came to the Pacific Coast with no intention
of remaining, but was so attracted by the splendid opportunities offered here that he
resigned his berth on the vessel and remained. He was married shortly in San Fran-
cisco to Miss Anna Will, and of their union were born two daughters and one son,
the subject of this review. The father passed away while our Mr. Aspe was an infant
and the mother removed with her little family to Benicia, where he spent his boj'hood
days and where he attended the public schools. At the early age of fourteen he began
to work for wages and to support himself.

The first real adventure into the romantic life of the west came when Mr. Aspe
was eighteen years of age, at which time he went to Alaska with the salmon packing
companies, and spent three years as a salmon fisherman on the Alaskan coast, remaining
from 1896 to 1899. He then returned to San Francisco, but the next summer was
again induced to sign on for the season in Alaskan waters with the great fishing indus-
tries. In 1900 he came again to San Francisco and entered into the teaming business,
making a specialty of handling pianos, and was the only firm thus engaged at that
time. He prospered and built up a flourishing business, which lasted until the great
fire of 1906, when he was forced to make a new start.

It was in 1910 that Stanislaus County claimed Mr. Aspe, and he bought his
present property and devoted himself to raising alfalfa. After a number of successful
years, ill health compelled him to lease his property and return to San Francisco for
medical treatment, and it was not until about 1919 that restored health allowed him
to again take over the management of his ranch, where he has since made his home.

The marriage of Mr. Aspe occurred in San Francisco, May 1, 1909, uniting him
with Mrs. Louise Cooney, a native of San Francisco and the daughter of Leopold and
Louise (Lorenz) Juzix. Mrs. Aspe's father is a native of France, descended from a
highly honored old French family. ' His father was a prosperous merchant in Bor-
deaux, an exporter, and Leopold Juzix came to San Francisco in 1849 for the purpose
of adjusting certain financial accounts for his father, and was so held by the oppor-
tunities offered and by the fascination of the infant city on the Golden Gate, that he
determined to cast in his lot with the pioneers and remain. He was variously identified
with the growth and development of the city, and was one of the original members
of the old Monumental No. 10, Volunteer Fire Department of San Francisco. He met
and was married there to Miss Louise Lorenz, whose parents came to San Francisco
across the plains in the early '50s.

Mr. and Mrs. Aspe are the parents of two children, a son and a daughter, both
of whom rendered splendid service during the great World War. The daughter, Miss
Gladys Cooney, a daughter of Mrs. Aspe by a former marriage, is a graduate nurse,
having received her training at the French Hospital in San Francisco. When the war
broke out she enlisted in the United States Nursing Service, and went to France with
the San Francisco Unit, No. 47. In France she acted as a trained nurse and served
on the battle front with Hospital Train No. 52 and also No. 60, rendering service
under fire on many occasions, and meeting with many thrilling experiences. The son,




«4«^ / /at



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 831

Frank, enlisted in the naval service just prior to the outbreak of the war, and received
his training on Goat Island, San Francisco, being sent out on the refrigerator vessel,
Glacier. He made several trips from the United States to South America, where this
ship went for cargoes of beef, and during his naval service he made fifteen trips across
the Atlantic on the Glacier, in the transportation of provisions. He served as boat-
swain, class number two, and was honorably discharged in June, 1919.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Aspe have many friends in Patterson. During the first two
years of their residence here Mrs. Aspe acted as hostess at the Del Puerto Hotel,
where her personal charm attracted to her many of the leading people of the vicinity.
Mr. Aspe is prominent in fraternal affairs, and is a member of Magnolia Lodge, No.
29, I. O. O. F., Patterson, and Castro Parlor 232, N. S. G. W., San Francisco.

REV. ELBERT CHUTE, B.A., B.D.— Retiring from many years of conse-
crated service to the cause of foreign missions, Rev. Elbert Chute, B.A., B.D.,
has made his residence in Ceres, Stanislaus County, since 1917, at which time he retired
from active service as a foreign missionary of the Baptist church, having served faith-
fully for thirty-five years under the direction of the American Baptist Foreign
Missionary Society, in the mission at Palmur, Deccan, India. Thousands of natives
from the country round about the missions gathered at the station on September 17,
1917, the day that the aged missionary and his faithful wife were ready to start on
the long journey homeward. They bestowed their gifts and souvenirs as tokens of
their love and gratitude, mingling with their tears of loving farewell many a God-
speed for a pleasant journey and a safe return to the land of their nativitv. Mr.
Chute has spent years of his manhood in the service of the Lord in India. The labor
has been hard and strenuous, but his wonderful achievements during this period are
a bright gem in the annals of the church, and a living memory in the hearts of
friends and coworkers of the city of Palmur. In all his efforts Mr. Chute has had
the support and cooperation of his wife, who has never been separated from him since
their marriage. She was the efficient manageress of the schools, and the generous
manner in which she conducted the two boarding houses for girls and boys has left
a lasting impression on the minds of many of the youth of Palmur. She soon endeared
herself alike to young and old in the mission field, and was herself a living example
in self-help and self-reliance.

Reverend Chute is a native of Canada, born near London City, Middlesex
County, January 13, 1848. He is the eldest surviving child of Edmund and Mary
(Palmer) Chute, both natives of Nova Scotia, where they were reared on the farms
of their respective fathers. Edmund Chute was a farmer and a deacon in the Baptist
church, one of his brothers having been a minister of that denomination. Of his
sons and daughters there are today four living. Edmund Chute passed away in
1891, at the age of ninetv-one ; while the mother passed away at the age of eighty-
seven years, in 'l 908.

The early education of Mr. Chute was received in the grammar and high schools
of his native city, and during the interval between his graduation from high school
and his entrance to college he was associated for several years with his father on the
farm. His marriage occurred on December 25, 1873, uniting him to Miss Sarah Jane
Webb, a native of Ontario, and for many years previous to her marriage a warm
friend of Mr. Chute. She was the daughter of William and Sarah (Wise) Webb,
substantial farmers of Canada, and was well educated in grammar and high school.

Following his marriage, Mr. Chute attended Woodstock College, at Woodstock,
Canada, from which he received his literary degree in 1878. He then spent a year in
theological work in Canada, and in 1879 entered Morgan Park Institute, graduating
in 1881, with the degree of BA. During these years in college Mrs. Chute also con-
tinued her studies, taking a special course in the same institutions.

The life work of Mr. and Mrs. Chute, for which they had been preparing with
so much care, commenced in 1882, when Mr. Chute received the appointment of the
American Baptist Synod to the post of foreign missionary to the Nizam Indians, in
the state of Hyderabad, India, located in the southern part of that province. They
reached their post November 9, 1882. The natives had seen but one white person



832 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

previous to the arrival of the two missionaries. Schools were soon established, and
the work of teaching the natives trades and civilized methods of thought and action
soon commenced. The first school was started under a tree with but a few scholars,
hut interest grew rapidly, and later a rough schoolhouse was constructed by Mr.
Chute, and finally a more pretentious building was erected, with a veranda all
around it, and divided into fourteen class rooms, with two large rooms for meeting
purposes. A church was also erected, and in 1891 was officially dedicated, and serv-
ices have been held there continuously since that time. Mr. Chute also built their
own residence, a comfortable bungalow, and with the help of the natives, made all
their furniture by hand.

Many were the hardships and privations endured by these faithful servants of
God, but they never faltered in their determination to spread the gospel and to estab-
lish a new civilization in the wilderness. The mails were slow and unreliable, but
better service was accorded after the white settlers became more numerous. Pro-
visions were hard to get. No milled flour was obtainable and no suitable material
for clothing. Nature did her best to supply primitive foods, wheat and other grains
and fruits being plentiful, and the work grew and prospered. Usually the mission-
aries had a corps of native preachers to aid with the work, these numbering from
four to eight men who had been educated and trained in the mission schools.

The keen interest of Mr. Chute and his wife never for an instant flagged, and it
was only with advancing years that they were filled with a great desire to pass their
remaining years in America, where most of their children were residing. Accordingly
they retired from their arduous labors in foreign mission fields, and on returning to
America in 1917, they came to Stanislaus County^and located at Ceres, where they
then had two daughters living. They make their home on the Smyrna Park road, two
miles east of town, and have made a host of warm friends during their residence there.

Their principal interest in life now lies in their children and grandchildren.
Of their marriage were born eight sons and daughters, namely: Ernest, born October

22, 1874, now a resident of Sugar River, Kans. ; Ethel, born October 15, 1876, now
the wife of Fred Wilson, and residing near Blodgett, Ore., has one daughter; Elmer,
born August 30, 1878, residing now at Pittsburgh, Pa., and the father of four children,
two girls and two boys, these three born in Canada; Effie Inez, born August 13,
1881, at Morgan Park, Chicago, now the wife of W. A. Stowe, and residing at Ann
Arbor, Mich., they have two sons and two daughters; Eral C, born July 17, 1884,
residing now in Detroit, Mich., has three girls and one boy; Elberta, born February

23, 1886, now a missionary in India; Estella, born April 14, 1888, married J. B.
Tupper of Ceres, and is now deceased, and Eulalie Mabel, born May 14, 1889, became
the wife of John Thompson, of Ceres, and is also deceased, and left one daughter.

Mr. Chute has been greatly impressed with the possibilities offered by Stanis-
laus County and has shown his faith in its great future by investing heavily in farm
lands in this county. He now owns two very valuable ranches, one north of Ceres,
which he leases to responsible tenants, so that he himself has no immediate responsi-
bility in its care, to interfere with his calm and peaceful enjoyment of his home and
friends on his home place of ten acres. He also owns property in Ceres.

WILLIAM FRANCIS HANEY, D. V. S.— Among California's native sons of
whom she may be proud is numbered William Francis Haney, D. V. S. A young man
of ability, he has been instrumental in a marked degree in the upbuilding of Modesto
and in furthering the city's interests in many other ways. He was born March 28,
1888, at Petaluma, Cal., and is the son of the well-known horseman, Free Haney,
and Linda (Helman) Haney, natives of Illinois, who came to California in the
seventies. They settled in Sonoma County, where the father engaged in the livery
business and dealt in horses. In 1899 he located in Stanislaus County and engaged
in breeding draft and standard horses and training them on the track. For four years
he ran the race track circuit and bred standard horses from Prince Nutwood. He is
now raising alfalfa and breeding Percheron draft horses on a ranch north of Modesto.

William Francis Haney is the oldest child in a family of four children and was
brought up at Petaluma until his eleventh year, when the family came to Modesto, in







I



^ -




i/^>^^ 06 C^^e^^c^.



HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY 835

1899. He received his education in the public and high schools, then entered the San
Francisco Veterinary College, graduating in 1910 with the degree of D. V. S. He
located at Modesto, engaged in the practice of veterinary science and conceived the
idea of building a veterinary hospital. His cherished plan was realized in 1915 when
the large two-story building, 50x50 feet in dimension and built of concrete blocks,
was completed and ready for occupancy. Dr. Haney made the plans for the build-
ing, and it is called the Modesto Veterinary Hospital. It has a capacity for twenty-
five horses, a department for the treatment of dogs and cats, and up-to-date operating
rooms for all animals. Two other veterinary surgeons are interested with Dr. Haney
in the hospital, Dr. R. A. Cilker and Dr. R. A. Ball. Dr. Haney's practice extends
all over Stanislaus County and into Merced and San Joaquin counties. He has held
the position of county livestock inspector for several years.

Aside from his profession, Dr. Haney is also interested in breeding and raising
pure-bred Holstein-Friesian cattle, and a member of Holstein-Friesian Association
of America and the Stanislaus County Holstein Breeders Association.

Dr. Haney's marriage at Modesto united him with Miss Leafy Goodenough, a
native of Oregon, ahd they have two children, Louis Elmer and Leatha Frances.
Mrs. Haney, in her religious associations, is a member of the Christian Church, and
the doctor is affiliated fraternally with Stanislaus Lodge F. & A. M., and Wildey
Lodge No. 149 of Odd Fellows, and Modesto Encampment No. 48, and the Wood-
men of the World, and is a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association,
the California State Veterinary Medical Association, and the San Joaquin Valley
Veterinary Medical Association.

JAMES D. REEVES. — Among the enterprising and progressive business men
who have been instrumental in building up the city and county is James D. Reeves,
who for over two decades has been the proprietor of the Modesto Marble and Granite
Works. He was born at Wabash, Ind., November 14, 1853, and is the son of Rufus
Reeves, a native of Ohio who taught school in early days in Indiana and at New
Canton, Pike County, 111., and also farmed there. When the Civil War broke out,
with true patriotic spirit he responded to the call at the first tap of the drum but
was rejected. In 1862 he again tried to enter the service and this time he was accepted,
enlisting in the Ninety-ninth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and died the same } r ear
while serving in Missouri. His wife, before her marriage, was Miss Anne Maria
Middlekauff, a native of Baltimore, Md., and six children were born to them, three
of whom are living, Flavius in Illinois, James D., our subject, and William, who
resides in San Francisco. After the death of Rufus Reeves the widow was united in
marriage with Donald Swan, a native of Scotland and a farmer in Illinois. Two
children were born of this marriage, Charles, a prominent banker at Modesto, and
Mrs. Flora Grubb of Bakersfield, Cal. Mrs. Swan continued to live in Illinois until

1900, when she came to California, passing away in later years at Modesto.

James D. Reeves was brought up in Illinois, attended the public schools and
followed the occupation of farming on the old homestead until he was twenty-two
years of age, when he began his apprenticeship at the marble trade in Barry, 111., serv-
ing for three years. He afterwards went to Hannibal, Mo., and after two years
came back to Illinois. Removing to Nebraska in 1883, he worked at the trade of
marble and stonecutter for ten years at Papillion, Sarpy County, Nebr., and from
there went to Pawnee City, Nebr., where he continued in this line. In 1899 he came
to Modesto, Cal., and there started in business for himself. The Modesto Marble
and Granite Works were first located at Downey and H streets, but in January,
1918, Mr. Reeves purchased his present site opposite the cemetery and there estab-
lished his business. He has established a high reputation for his work and it is in
evidence all over the San Joaquin Valley, and the great demand for it attests its
superior excellence. Among the local work he has done are the Enslen, Hughson,
Dunne, Moore and Vacara monuments. His shop is equipped with an air compressor
run by electricity and all the latest and most modern machinery is used.

Mr. Reeves' marriage, which occurred at Barry, 111., united him with Miss
Marietta Edwards, who was born at Cairo, 111., and they have become the parents



836 HISTORY OF STANISLAUS COUNTY

of four children : Emery served in the Spanish-American War in the Twenty-Second
U. S. Infantry as a musician ; he has been in the Philippines for twenty years and is
now with the Standard Oil Company as a salesman; Sadie, who resides in San Fran-
cisco, married John Ellis, who was commissary sergeant at Angel Island, San Fran-
cisco, and who died in February, 1919; Pearl is with the General Electric Supply
Company of San Francisco ; and Frank is with the Standard Oil Company at Fresno.
In his political views Mr. Reeves is an adherent of the Republican party. Fra-
, ternally he was made a Mason, in Modesto Lodge No. 206, F. & A. M., and is a
member and past consul commander of the Woodmen of the World and past master



Online LibraryGeorge Henry TinkhamHistory of Stanislaus County California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the pres → online text (page 93 of 177)